PDA

View Full Version : Cowabunga! - NECA gets the TMNT license!!

Beast
08-30-2007, 07:26 PM
According to an interview with Randy Falk from Neca by Ask Randy from AFTimes, NECA has managed to grab the TMNT license. Apperantly the plan is to start with the original Eastman/Laird comics and go from there. This is a huge surprise, and a massive improvement from Playmates. I know they're basing them at the start on the original comics, but I hope they keep the multi-colored bandanas. Or at least offer variant figures that feature them. I can't wait for good quality figures of the TMNT, Splinter, Shredder, the Utroms, the Triceratons, and of course Baxter Stockmen w/ Robot Body. You might say, I love being a Turtle fan right now. :)

RANDY of ASK RANDY: So the new licenses that have been acquired by NECA are CONAN movie, PAN’S LABYRINTH, GEARS OF WAR and ALIENS VS. PREDATOR 2-am I missing any?
RANDY FALK: Yes, TMNT and Princess Bride and well that might be one or 2 more we’re keeping quiet on for now.

RoAR: I had heard about PRINCESS BRIDE earlier in the year (and I’m looking forward to a Dread Pirate Roberts figure!) but not TMNT! Will this be oriented toward the animated series or the original Eastman/Laird comics or a different source?
RF: Starting with the Eastman/Laird comics and we’ll go from there.
Expect more detail and texture and loads of articulation on these.

Follow the link for more on their other upcoming lines:

http://www.aftimes.com/ask.ran.shtml

kool-aid killer
08-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Not cool! But thats just because i was hoping i would be done with Turtle toys for a long time. Pan's Labyrinth could be good, and whats better is there probably wont be a lot of figures just because of few characters there are. Im only interested in the AVP2 Predator figure(s) so i can pass on most of their offerings for that.

I still need to pick up a couple of their MOTU staction figures.

Beast
08-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I doubt we'll see a large line for Pan's Labyrinth.

I'm guessing 2-3 figures tops. The Faun (Old & Young versions), The Pale Man, and maybe Ofelia w/ Toad. Captain Vidal could work, but I doubt it.

The Fairies will probably come either with The Faun or Pale Man.

JetsAndHeels
08-30-2007, 11:18 PM
This is good news. I was hoping for someone other than Playmates to do some work on the TMNT line. I was also getting frustrated with some of the characters from the 2k3 toon and FF not getting to stores after the manufacturer had plans on making them (purple dragon, inuyashi gunjin).

Beast
08-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I gave up on the Playmates line years ago. Pretty much after the Quarry fiasco. I bought the FF Splinter for my collection, but the line just left a bad taste in my mouth after that. I didn't even get the movie Splinter figure like I planned.

JetsAndHeels
08-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Did you get a Quarry?

I was lucky enough to find Quarry, Karai, and Hamato Yoshi all in the same trip to Wm here about a year and a half ago.

About movie Splinter-he is by far the best detailed figure in that line IMO.

Beast
08-30-2007, 11:29 PM
No. I was already so annoyed by the line by the time Quarry actually started coming out that I just didn't even bother trying to find one. I saw Karai and Hamato Yoshi on the racks, but never saw Quarry. Eh... I don't care, NECA will make me happy.

I would love if Laird would quit hating on the classic cartoon and associated comic book. I would love to see Neca allowed to do really kick-butt figures of Krang, Rocksteady, Bebop, and Toon Shredder. But I doubt things will change there.

JetsAndHeels
08-30-2007, 11:34 PM
I would love if Laird would quit hating on the classic cartoon and associated comic book. I would love to see Neca allowed to do really kick-butt figures of Krang, Rocksteady, Bebop, and Toon Shredder. But I doubt things will change there.

We definately need good figs of Rocksteady, Bebop, and Krang..preferably in his android body. I don't want to see him in that stupid high chair thing.

JediTricks
08-31-2007, 03:07 AM
Left field!!! I hope NECA gives it a good go, but I suspect they'll release 2 waves and it'll tank like far too many of their licenses. Oh, and it'd be nice if they weren't incredibly fragile.

Beast
09-14-2007, 05:15 PM
The Official TMNT website posted a small blurb about the news.

So this at least confirms it. :)

NECA, National Entertainment Collectible Association, has signed a license to produce and distribute collector's market TMNT action figures, statues, busts, weapon prop replicas and bobbleheads based on the TMNT comic books from Mirage Studios. These items will be avaialble to small independent retailers, independent toy stores, comic and hobby shops, and specialty chains. The design and development process has just gotten started, so prduct won't be available for awhile. We'll post news from the folks at NECA as soon as possible!

Beast
09-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Here's the first rejected design drawing for NECA's TMNT figure line.

NECA.1

As many of you are probably aware, the collectible figure company NECA has taken out a license to do, among other iterations, figures based on characters from the original Mirage comic books.

I thought it might be interesting to take you through the entire approvals process - from "new concept" to "strike off." (Or, I suppose, until someone shuts me down.)

Here's NECA's first basic turtle body concept drawing. As you can see, it doesn't look a whole lot like one of the turtles from the first Mirage comics, and in fact looks more like a decent drawing of the first Playmates action figures. Given that, the drawing was rejected, and NECA asked to submit a "revised design." I also sent them a reprint of issue #1 for reference. ;)

To be continued...

Posted by m. at 12:24 PM

JetsAndHeels
09-14-2007, 05:39 PM
I read this article over on the Technodrome, and needless to say I am glad that NECA rejected that design. Its good to see that issue #1 was sent as a reference.

JediTricks
09-14-2007, 09:07 PM
I like that the NECA license is for "collector" lines, that should let them get away with a lot of antiPlaymates work. It'll jack up the price though, but it's a worthy tradeoff I'm betting. Especially since seeing the rejected artwork suggests the right understanding of what's required here.

JetsAndHeels
09-14-2007, 10:31 PM
You know, you'd think after all this time there would actually be bobbleheads already out there...i think it'd be cool as well...

Anyway this is all great news. Its a great thing that a company other than Playmates is now going to be putting out TMNT products.

Beast
09-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Hopefully Peter Laird doesn't ruin NECA's figure line, like he's managed to ruin Playmates'. I really wish Kevin Eastman was around to reign in Laird's ego.

evenflow
09-17-2007, 01:30 PM
IVery cool news. I will pick up a few of these.

Beast
09-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Here's the latest news on the line.

NECA.2

As yet I'm unable to tell you too much about NECA's plans for the TMNT but here's the little I'm allowed to share:

1. The first wave of 6 figures will be out in Spring 08; the second 6 in Fall 08.

2. Current/initial plans/waves only include figures based on characters from the early Mirage comics.

3. The first wave will consist of the 4 Turtles, a Foot Soldier and, and... sorry, can't tell you. ;)

Posted by m. at 11:40 AM
Since he can't say, I'm almost betting that Splinter and Shredder are being saved for Series 2. Which means the 6th figure is going to be a surprise. I'm thinking they'll either go with Baxter Stockmen, Fugitoid, or an Utrom. An Oot in it's Robot Body would be cool, especially since the Playmates one actually was pretty decent. :)

Other points of interest... Peter Laird is very excited about this figure line. There are plans to go into Tales of TMNT, if sales are good enough on the toys. NECA has submitted plans for the first 5 waves to Mirage Studios. As well as plans for other items. But nothing beyond the first two waves is set in stone.

JetsAndHeels
09-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Hopefully we get a toon version Shredder. That would so kick butt haha.

I am so ready for these to be released.

El Chuxter
09-20-2007, 06:55 PM
It'd be nice if Laird acknowledged that people like Bebop and Rocksteady, and we got them.

Beast
09-20-2007, 10:17 PM
It'd be nice if Laird acknowledged that people like Bebop and Rocksteady, and we got them.
Agreed. But I'm afraid that no matter how much NECA would like to do figures of them in the realistic style, Peter Laird will refuse them. Hell, I hope they can even mine the movies for figures. The first movie Shredder is a fantastic design.

El Chuxter
09-20-2007, 10:40 PM
But not weird gold-plated Shredder from TMNT 2.

A realistic Tatsu figure would kick all sorts of arse. And I wouldn't mind, since Playmates apparently wasn't bright enough to do it, a Casey Jones in the all-black from the end of TMNT (the '07 movie).

JetsAndHeels
09-20-2007, 10:46 PM
a Casey Jones in the all-black from the end of TMNT (the '07 movie).

Yeah, that is a very good idea.

Playmates is also offering the Bigfoot monster from the CGI film; problem is you have to send in 3 upc's from the newest wave of figs. I have Jungle Leo and 2 shredders (one in the packaging) so I need another fig to get the Bigfoot. I am not opening the other shredder.

Wouldn't my luck be that there aren't anymore of the newer waves showing up here now, only those god awful auto attack turtles which I will never, ever buy.

Lord Malakite
09-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Since he can't say, I'm almost betting that Splinter and Shredder are being saved for Series 2. Which means the 6th figure is going to be a surprise.
Maybe it'll be Venus de Milo. :D

But not weird gold-plated Shredder from TMNT 2.
I hope they do make it. I liked that costume's saw blade helmet design.

A realistic Tatsu figure would kick all sorts of arse.
I wish someone would make a Tatsu figure, its been long over due. I also hope the make a few of the Archie comic characters I've wanted to see for some time: Verminator X, Armaggon, War, Pestilence, Famine, Death, Maligna, Ninjara, Null (human and demon form), Scul & Bean, Waster, Fist, Lynch, Dead-Eye, Hitler's Brain (robotic Nazi body), and Crainiac.

El Chuxter
09-26-2007, 05:12 PM
If they do figures from the Archie comic (which was, surprisingly enough, quite good), I'd kill to see the Super-Foot Soldier and a deluxe Cudley the Cowlick.

Lord Malakite
09-27-2007, 03:07 AM
If they do figures from the Archie comic (which was, surprisingly enough, quite good), I'd kill to see the Super-Foot Soldier and a deluxe Cudley the Cowlick.
That would be cool to see but I don't think Cudley would sell that well. Suprisingly a giant talking decapitated cow's head that acts as an intersteller car pool vehicle for mutant turtles just doesn't sit well with most casual TMNT fans when you mention it. :D

Beast
10-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Here's the latest update and the first sculpt picture. :D

NECA.3

Here's a glimpse of NECA's first TMNT sculpt submission. As you can see, it is totally right on with regards to the way the TMNT looked in the first Mirage comic. PL was thrilled too, and had only one minor change to suggest with regards to the neck (not entirely visible here), asking that it be either shortened or thickened by about 20%.

Off to a great start!

Posted by m. at 6:31 AM
Glad they're fixing the neck. Otherwise, I'm already pleased as punch. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
10-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Looks really solid! Besides the neck, I'm not feeling those shoulders tho', that design's been cropping up a lot since the MOTU line rebooted and I don't like how the upper arm looks where it meets it - it's like someone jammed their arm into one of those Hulk Hands only it was a Hulk Arm. :p

Beast
10-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Looks really solid! Besides the neck, I'm not feeling those shoulders tho', that design's been cropping up a lot since the MOTU line rebooted and I don't like how the upper arm looks where it meets it - it's like someone jammed their arm into one of those Hulk Hands only it was a Hulk Arm. :p
Yeah, I see what you mean. Still eons better than what Playmates is doing though.

Shame their pitch for the next cartoon season got shot down though. Since they seem to be the only ones of the 3 involved that seems to know what the fans actually want. Well, at least as far as it goes for the actual cartoon. :p

Lord Malakite
10-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I see what you mean. Still eons better than what Playmates is doing though.

Shame their pitch for the next cartoon season got shot down though. Since they seem to be the only ones of the 3 involved that seems to know what the fans actually want. Well, at least as far as it goes for the actual cartoon. :p

That would of been the choice I would of went with. I'd rather have the show bring in elements from the Archie comics and old 80s-90s cartoon (to lesser extent) than to go with the Yu-Gi-Oh! clone or the present day turtles babysitting their past children selves concept they've been kicking around. Those two sound like trainwrecks in the making (even more so the Venus de Milo incident).

That isn't the only thing we have to worry about though. If they ever do get one of these TMNT ideas to finally float we won't have any idea which channel it'll be on. In case you haven't heard CW just sold the rights of Kids WB to 4Kids. Come next September Kids WB will become 4KidsTV (plus 4KidsTV will also still be on Fox). In essence they will be competing with themselves on Saturday.:cross-eye

JetsAndHeels
10-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Still eons better than what Playmates is doing though.

Playmates sucks. They have just given up on the idea of making a variety of TMNT figs....with the exception of the 2nd wave of movie figs (it has Shredder, Sloth monster, Jungle Leo etc) it has just rehashed the same ol stuff. What is the deal with all the motorcycles anyway? I got the Nightwatcher set bc the fig is cool but why do we need a Leo, Don, and Mike on the same (but repainted) motorcycle? And those auto attack turtles..I am not even going to get started on those.
Bring on the Neca goodness I say!!

Lord Malakite
10-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Playmates sucks. They have just given up on the idea of making a variety of TMNT figs....with the exception of the 2nd wave of movie figs (it has Shredder, Sloth monster, Jungle Leo etc) it has just rehashed the same ol stuff.
There is also a mail-in exclusive Bigfoot (http://www.playmatestoys.com/turtleshome/#/contestspromos/) figure out now for the TMNT movie if I'm not mistaken.

Here is the article on the Kid WB change (http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=19175).

JetsAndHeels
10-06-2007, 11:55 AM
There is also a mail-in exclusive Bigfoot (http://www.playmatestoys.com/turtleshome/#/contestspromos/) figure out now for the TMNT movie if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, see one of my previous posts. I am not even going to bother sending in for it at this point

Beast
10-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Some of what Playmates has been doing can be blamed on Peter Laird though, due to his almost irrational hatred of the original toon and archie comics. Since Playmates has been wanting to mine that stuff, but sadly can't.

El Chuxter
10-07-2007, 02:47 AM
What's the plan for the next season? Please tell me they're coming back to the present. I. Hate. Fast Forward.

Beast
10-07-2007, 01:49 PM
What's the plan for the next season? Please tell me they're coming back to the present. I. Hate. Fast Forward.
There's no plan in place right now. There's been three pitches, each one which has been shot down at various stages of development.

1. TMNT trapped in a video game world with Superheroes.
2. TMNT babysitting their younger selves in the current day.
3. Ultimate TMNT that was going to be a merger of the various canons.

El Chuxter
10-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Crazy. Why don't they just come to the past, pick up where the last season of the regular show left off, and not acknowledge the future adventures again (at least not in any ways that directly impact the story).

That frigging 19th century British bobby robot is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

JetsAndHeels
10-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Laird is a moron. Playmates wanted to do the Archie figures, but he keeps turning them down because he wasn't directly involved with it.

Like he is going to be hurt financially over this. ABSURD!!

Lord Malakite
10-08-2007, 03:22 AM
Crazy. Why don't they just come to the past, pick up where the last season of the regular show left off, and not acknowledge the future adventures again (at least not in any ways that directly impact the story).
While I'll agree that the Fast Forward arc isn't quite as good as the Utrom Shredder arc through the Demon Shredder arc, I don't think it is quite as bad as people make it out to be. I've found Darius Dun, Sh'Okanabo, and Viral to somewhat interesting TMNT villians. The only real complaint I have with Fast Forward is why we haven't seen Donatello and Cody attempt to contact Lord Simultaneous or Timestress Rennet. You'd think with the kind of future technology they have at their disposal in Cody's time period that the writers would have at least shown the turtles attempt to contact (or give an explanation as to why they couldn't contact) their time mastering allies for some help back to present day after trying to recreate the time portal proved to be almost impossible.

That frigging 19th century British bobby robot is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.
You did it now. Constable Biggles is on his way to SGG.

"Ello, ello. Whats all this then?"

Beast
11-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Just a minor update for now. Hopefully we'll see some more complete sculpts soon. Looks like we'll be getting interchangable hands for the figures as well. Here's a set of alternate hands complete with climbing claws for the TMNT figures. :)

Beast
11-29-2007, 05:48 PM
A couple of major updates that I need to pass along. First here's a couple of the figure bases. The unpainted ones were approved, but Peter Laird requested the colors on the painted versions be toned down and made more realistic. Not bad though. :)

NECA.5

Bases for the TMNT figures, as submitted by NECA. The two uncolored pieces were approved... but then the colored version came in yesterday and was rejected by Pete. His comments: "The yellow sidewalk and blue street color concepts are too cartoony. Given the cool, graphic look of the Turtle figures we feel the bases should be more 'realistic.' Please make another pass at base colors and resubmit." Yeah, baby.

Posted by m. at 6:04 AM

Beast
11-29-2007, 05:54 PM
And the TMNT figures appeared in this month's Diamond Previews for Febuary release. It appears that the first wave has been cut down from 6 figures to just the 4 Turtles. I don't really mind, because they look great. Along with the solicit for the case of TMNT figures was the first picture of Leonardo. Coolness. :D

NECA.6!

Guess it's now okay to post this seeing as how the image has shown up in Previews. (Famous last words?)

Great job, eh?

Also: Looks like NECA is only putting out the four turtles as part of their first release wave. No word on what happened to the two secondary characters that were to be be released at this time, although their sculpts have not yet been submitted to us in any form. Gotta look into it.

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES SERIES 1 ACTION FIGURES

For the first time ever, the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are leaping right off of the comic book page! This series is based entirely on the Eastman/Laird comic art from the mid-'80s, and includes everyone’s favorite foursome: Michaelangelo, Donatello, Leonardo and Raphael. Each figure is highly articulated and comes with the weapon particular to the Ninja Turtle. Blister card packaging. Scheduled to ship in February 2008. (6338/54000)

(C: 1-1-3) NOTE: Available only in the United States, Canada, and U.S. Territories.
Figure PI

JetsAndHeels
11-29-2007, 06:17 PM
These things just keep looking better...cannot wait to get them.

i also saw a pic of the figure bases from a tmnt website:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b281/kendamu/base2.jpg

JediTricks
11-30-2007, 05:24 AM
Laird's right about the colors on the blue/yellow base, that looks way too cartoony and do need to be toned down.

That Leo figure looks pretty good, but either the head is too high or too big or both, it seems about 15% off. Never the less, the look is definitely there.

Zodach
11-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Do you know what the price was for these figures in Previews? I'm sure they are charging more than retail, but I was wondering how much online retailers will be asking for the set of 4.

Beast
12-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Do you know what the price was for these figures in Previews? I'm sure they are charging more than retail, but I was wondering how much online retailers will be asking for the set of 4.
NECA's stuff is usually between $10-$15. I'll have to wait til I find out for sure.

Beast
12-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Smaller update today. Basically what's going on with the figures.

Only answers 4-7 actually pertain to the NECA figures.

Odds and sods

Wrapping up a few loose ends from the week's comments:

1. Mirage holiday card contest winners: A reminder that I haven't received everyone's snail-mail address yet.

2. Re the future of the classic TMNT toon on DVD: Mirage has no right over how or when Fred Wolf Films releases the classic show, nor do we have any direct contact with him.

3. Re the stock corporate answer people are getting from Playmates Toys re the Jagwar figure write-in campaign: it is indeed BS on Playmates' part when they say that the decision to drop Jagwar is a joint decision between Playmates and Mirage (aka Peter Laird). Mirage can't force Playmates to go in or out of production with any item; our approval rights only extend over the course of creation and submission, and once an item is approved to production by Mirage, Playmates has the right to not go forward based on their own market calculations or other esoteric tea reading.

4. Yes, the paint scheme on the NECA TMNT figure shown below is final.

5. Each NECA turtle will have the same body but unique faces/heads.

6. Why no secondary characters included in NECA's first wave release? Here's what NECA had to say: "In an effort to introduce the line early in the year and to be able to ship before Chinese New Year we are going to offer the classic 4 turtles first. We will then refresh the line in Spring with variations on the turtles along with new secondary characters."

7. Here's the Mikey NECA face. ;)

I have to leave early today. Have a great weekend.

Posted by m. at 6:01 AM

Beast
12-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Here's a couple updates regarding the bases. I sorta miss the cartoony look a bit, but like this they'll certainly help make the figures *POP* when they're displayed. :D

NECA.7

There, that's better now, isn't it? (Sorry, Chuck.)

Posted by m. at 4:52 AM

NECA.8

Street life.

From shiny happy Peanuts to "shades of gray" TMNT.

Posted by m. at 4:56 AM

Beast
12-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Randy Falk from NECA dropped a small update about the picture of Leonardo that's circulating on the Official TMNT Website. I hope the figure's paint job doesn't get changed too much, it's pretty much perfect now. At least, IMHO. :)

Below is an image of NECA's Leonardo action figure, wth this information from Randy Falk, NECA's Director of Product Development:

This is the final sculpt but not the final deco. The paint applications have been revised to better re-create the 3-D translation of the original 2-D artwork. I think when you see the final images and get to see all 4 turtles complete with their unique head sculpts, accessories, and bases you will be very very happy.

Beast
12-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Here's the Leonardo figure with the revised paint scheme.

I really like it, he looks like he just stepped off the comic page. :cool:

The Original Heroes in a Half-Shell Return

NECA Releases the First Image of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Leonardo Action Figure
12/07/2007

In 2008, NECA presents collectibles from one of the most popular comic book properties of all time: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. This spring, Series 1 of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Action Figures hits stores. Based on the original Mirage Studios comic created by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird, NECA's new action figures maintain the gritty look comic book fans fell in love with over twenty years ago. Today, NECAonline presents the first figure in this highly anticipated new license: Leonardo! The leader of the Turtles, Leonardo has two deadly katana, multiple points of articulation, and his original red facemask. In the coming weeks, NECA will be releasing details, photos, and more of the entire Series 1 line-up. For now, check out our first official image of Leonardo and keep checking back at NECAonline for the latest updates on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles collectibles and more!

Beast
12-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Here's another update about NECA's plans for TMNT. And a shot of Leo's back.

NECA.9

A behind-the-scenes look at how/what NECA is considering re marketing the first wave of TMNT figures:

Late March/April street dates for both individual and boxed set (of all four turtles). Still in pricing stage with factories but looking at different options as follows:

1) individual turtles with all accessories and bases

2) individual turtles with just the character specific “essential” accessories; no bases

3) boxed set of all 4 turtles with all accessories and bases

The rationale behind the individual turtles with just their character specific “essential” accessories option is to hit a lower price point for some of our customers.

Stay tuned, yet again....

Posted by m. at 5:32 AM

JediTricks
12-08-2007, 01:05 AM
You aren't kidding about that comic paint, it really pops in the front! I just hope it doesn't get a bunch of crazy shadowing paint, it looks like there's some on the legs - and asian factories rarely get this right at production stage, usually it's too heavy.

I think they're idiots for even considering doing bases if it's going to raise the price even $1. These are not going to be hot sellers since they're specialty market, and those bases are not "wow that's amazing" pieces.

Beast
12-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Here's a small update on the NECA figures. With a picture of the B&W variant Leo. I think this variant is a definate pass for me. I don't even like the look of it. If it had been colored bandana versions, I would have jumped at it.

NECA.10

Second (or third; still awaiting confirmation) wave NECA Leonardo figure... based on the original black and white and read all over comic book.

Posted by m. at 12:47 PM

JediTricks
12-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Black and WHITE WHITE WHITE! Too much white, not enough shading.

evenflow
12-31-2007, 05:57 PM
The colored bandanas would have been much cooler.

Beast
01-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Here's a few updates for the NECA TMNT line. Good stuff.

NECA

Pictured here is the original Raphael sculpt.

It seems to me that NECA came on strong when first attaining the TMNT license: they presented an ambitious 2-year character release plan and quickly followed up by submitting the four turtle sculpts. Since then, though - at least IMO - energy seems to have been lost, giving way to a more diffuse atmosphere. Instead of an initial wave launch of the four turtles and one secondary character as originally planned, NECA's Previews solicitation consisted only of the four turtles, and to date we have not received sculpts of any secondary characters, let alone a firm commitment to a specific "first release" secondary character. To quote NECA: "In an effort to introduce the line early in the year and to be able to ship before Chinese New Year, NECA is going to offer the classic four turtles first. Plans are to re-fresh the line in Spring ’08 with variations on the turtles along with new characters like April and the Foot Soldier." Okay, I guess. Street date for the first four remains March/April, although we have yet to see any packaging concepts. Time to light a fire.

Posted by m. at 5:06 AM

YEAH

Just had to post this pic cuz it's so freaking cool. (This is also the reason I haven't been able to post too many NECA pics - they had an "exclusive" "reveal deal" with Toy Review - and they've not been too happy about my "leaks.")

(Original pic/post by Batman27.)

Posted by m. at 2:14 PM

NECA.11

The "penultimate Michelangelo." NECA just needs to change the nunchaku wraps to brown and its caps from gold to silver. Pretty darn snazzy if you ask me.

Posted by m. at 8:27 AM

Dark Marble
01-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Yep, I will be picking up the turtles. I think I have been waiting for these since I read the original comics.

JetsAndHeels
02-17-2008, 10:51 PM
I went ahead and preordered the box set of these today online. I cannot wait for these to be released. Other than the huge neck sculpts, they are going to be awesome.

And here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/ClubPartyMonster/april.jpg) is a pic of the April that I found at the technodrome forums. It is marked not final, and I am glad because that is one friggin big figure.

JediTricks
02-18-2008, 10:12 PM
That's a 1-up, double-sized sculpt. I don't understand this recent trend to give female figures those ugly ball hips and FAT thighs. The face is a'ight though, and the mousers are good.

JetsAndHeels
02-18-2008, 11:27 PM
That's a 1-up, double-sized sculpt. I don't understand this recent trend to give female figures those ugly ball hips and FAT thighs. The face is a'ight though, and the mousers are good.

Hopefully the mousers move and the mouth opens.

Rocketboy
02-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Mike and Leo

Rocketboy
02-20-2008, 01:25 AM
Don and Raph

El Chuxter
02-20-2008, 01:28 AM
They screwed up bad.

Only Raph is supposed to have a red bandana.

Lord Malakite
02-24-2008, 02:33 PM
They screwed up bad.

Only Raph is supposed to have a red bandana.

These toys are based on the turtles' first appearance (from Mirage comics) Chux. In those comics the turtles all wore red bandanas; though this feature could only be seen on the comics' covers as the comics themselves were in black & white. Back then the only way to tell them apart by physical appearance alone was by the weapons that they used.

The different color bandanas (blue, orange, red, & purple) didn't come about until the original 80s/90s TMNT cartoon.

And here is an interesting note, you can see the all red bandanas on the game label for the original TMNT NES game Chux, which is funny as the game was based more on the cartoon. :D

JetsAndHeels
02-24-2008, 02:36 PM
In those comics the turtles all wore red bandanas; though this feature could only be seen on the comics' covers as the comics themselves were in black & white.

There are also going to be black and white variants. I am thinking about getting the Leo....already got my regular ones preordered

El Chuxter
02-24-2008, 02:56 PM
I was joking, LM.

Actually, they should all have grey bandanas. That's what they're wearing on both the cover and interior of the original 1984 TMNT #1. Well, on my copy, at least.

(Just had to brag about that. Yeah, it's third printing, but, last I checked, that was still worth a few hundred dollars. I had a friend of a friend in high school sell me all the old TMNT comics that I couldn't afford for an average of about $0.75 each. And, yes, I tried to do the right thing and explain they were worth a bit more than that.)

Lord Malakite
02-24-2008, 03:43 PM
I was joking, LM.

Sometimes its hard to tell without any visual indications. ;)

Dark Marble
02-25-2008, 01:26 PM
I am looking forward to the turtles. I have some of the original comics, the first 21 actually which are all first prints. It is the only comics of note I really have.

Lord Malakite
02-29-2008, 11:13 PM
It looks like Chr'ell (Utrom Shredder) (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Perez85/Fall08Utrom.jpg) will be back next season on the TMNT cartoon in a more "Krang" like robo walker suit. A toy is no doubt sure to follow.

JetsAndHeels
02-29-2008, 11:17 PM
It looks like Chr'ell (Utrom Shredder) (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Perez85/Fall08Utrom.jpg) will be back next season on the TMNT cartoon in a more "Krang" like robo walker suit. A toy is no doubt sure to follow.

That's cool...also on some of the TMNT boards there is talk that a regular shredder and foot soldier will be available from neca.

evenflow
03-02-2008, 09:55 AM
I keep cancelling and reordering the preorder for the NECA figures. I dont know what to do about them.

JetsAndHeels
03-02-2008, 01:23 PM
I keep cancelling and reordering the preorder for the NECA figures. I dont know what to do about them.

You order them, of course!!

IMO these are the best looking TMNT figs ever made.

JediTricks
03-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Buy 'em. If you're tempted enough, just go without food for a day or something, you can always eat again. :p

JetsAndHeels
04-04-2008, 09:35 PM
I got an email from entertainment earth today letting me know my figures have been shipped. Cannot wait to get these....I ordered the 4 pack box set. It seems the wait for these has been forever!!

JetsAndHeels
04-20-2008, 03:48 PM
I got my box set in the mail last week, but just got around to opening it today.

First off, let me just say that these figures are great. When I first saw the pics online, I wasn't too crazy about how their necks looked. However I can say that it isn't that much of an issue to me now that I have opened them. The figures are very well done, with over 20 points of articulation and have excellent detail and paint applications.

The weapons are very well done also. What I like the best are Mikey's nunchucks, because they have actual chains connecting them. Little details like that are a big deal to me as a collector. These are details that can be small in the scheme of the toy itself, but still it makes a difference.

Right now I am enjoying these greatly. The poses are almost limitless, and just the appearance of the figures is something to behold. They are the exact likeness of the original comic, and neca did a great job capturing that.

Oh, and one other thing...the packaging itself is something that impressed me with the set. The boxset is very colorful, with Eastman and Laird's original style artwork...I opened mine very carefully, because the box is something I plan on saving.

My advice to anyone who is unsure of buying these is to get them as soon as you can. I do not know if alot of the online retailers still have them in stock, but if you can find them you should get them. These are, in my opinion at least, the best Ninja Turtles figures ever made.

Beast
04-20-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm waiting until they decide to do them with colored masks.

I know it's not comic accurate, but I'm picky that way. :p

JetsAndHeels
04-20-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm waiting until they decide to do them with colored masks.

I know it's not comic accurate, but I'm picky that way. :p

I would buy those too. :)

Seriously though, you are missing out Beast. These figures are excellent.

Beast
04-20-2008, 06:38 PM
I would buy those too. :)

Seriously though, you are missing out Beast. These figures are excellent.
I know they are. But I just don't like the red masks.

I know they're comic accurate. But they just don't look right to me.

They could have at least done interchangable heads or something.

evenflow
04-23-2008, 01:59 PM
I still think that once these all sell through we will get multi-color mask versions.

El Chuxter
04-23-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm sure they'll be made, even if they wind up being an exclusive. It's too simple a repaint for them to not do 'em.

JetsAndHeels
04-25-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm sure they'll be made, even if they wind up being an exclusive. It's too simple a repaint for them to not do 'em.

I will buy those too!! These neca figures are the bomb.

Beast
05-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Looks like the NECA TMNT Exclusive for SDCC will be a Mousers 3-Pack.

El Chuxter
05-17-2008, 07:31 PM
What makes you say that? Those silhouettes could be anyone! I'm hoping it's Rene and Savanti Romero packed in with Cerebus the Aardvark! :D

Beast
05-17-2008, 07:41 PM
What makes you say that? Those silhouettes could be anyone! I'm hoping it's Rene and Savanti Romero packed in with Cerebus the Aardvark! :D
Heh. I don't even know why they bothered to black them out. :p

Beast
05-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Here's the Mouser 3-Pack art that Neca sent to Mirage for approval.

JetsAndHeels
05-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Great, so now if we can't make it to SDCC we will have to buy it off ebay for way more than the cost.

I wish they had packaged these with the figures.

JediTricks
05-23-2008, 03:08 AM
Window boxed, looks nice!

I believe April O'Neil will have 1, right?

Beast
05-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Window boxed, looks nice!

I believe April O'Neil will have 1, right?
I believe that she'll either come with 1 or 2, yes. Also, Neca revealed the exclusive today on their website. From what I can tell, the Exclusive 'MIGHT' be available in another way. But without the SDCC exclusive manhole.

A Comic Con Exclusive with Bite
NECA Releases Images of TMNT Mouser Comic Con Exclusive
05/23/2008

San Diego Comic Con is drawing closer and the excitement is buzzing in the NECA offices. In the past few weeks, we've debuted the Gears of War Carmine Action Figure and the Conan the Barbarian Bronze Conan Action Figure, two hugely anticipated San Diego Comic Con Exclusives. Today, NECAonline debuts the first images of the third San Diego Comic Con Exclusive: the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Mouser 3-Pack! The Mousers, vicious robots with jaws strong enough to crush steel and concrete, are some of the Turtles deadliest and most popular enemies. The 3-Pack comes with a detailed display base, including an exclusive San Diego Manhole Cover! We'll be unveiling more details, like packaging images and pricing, as Comic Con draws closer, but for now check out our first official images. Make sure to check back at NECAonline for the latest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles updates and more!

JediTricks
05-23-2008, 06:45 PM
The San Diego manhole cover is a good touch, hopefully that's actually the exclusive aspect.

JetsAndHeels
06-05-2008, 05:38 PM
I did a "custom" Leo.....I had an extra Leo so I took him and painted his bandana blue. I think I did pretty good on it, being that I don't do custom work.

I will post a pic of it tomorrow. He is still drying at the apartment right now.

Beast
07-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Very cool new TMNT stuff for this fall.

Shredder. Two Foot Guys. And a Utrom. Hopefully he comes with a robot body.

http://www.thefwoosh.com/pics/thumbnails.php?album=1069

JetsAndHeels
07-24-2008, 04:54 PM
I was checking out the pics on another TMNT site...and honestly the Shredder is kind of underwhelming. The helmet and mask seem off to me for some reason.

The utrom is very cool, but it would take a major effort to screw that up.

The Foot ninja is very cool, but the Elite Guard Ninja is my favorite of these!! Very bada$$, as they should be.

Beast
07-24-2008, 05:45 PM
A bit agreed with Shredder. But it does fit the original comics look for him.

Still hoping that we'll see modern versions of the classic toons characters.

Laird seems to have chilled a bit on his hate for the original toon and is at least considering it.

JetsAndHeels
07-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Still hoping that we'll see modern versions of the classic toons characters.

Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang are the 3 I would love to see.

JediTricks
07-31-2008, 04:29 PM
We also covered this stuff, have had photos since Friday...

http://photos.actionfigs.com/showgallery.php?cat=3368

I also have to agree about Shredder, he's a little darker and slightly bigger in the comic frames I've seen, this fig looks like they recycled the Foot Soldier body for it.

That Utrom looks very Krang-esque with those wild, evil eyes. Our writer for the NECA article actually referred to him as Krang, and I don't think I'll bother changing that despite its probable inaccuracy.

JetsAndHeels
07-31-2008, 06:47 PM
The Foot Elite Guard is the best of those if you ask me. I would like to get at least 2 of them and 2 of the foot ninjas.

Beast
07-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Heh. Don't worry about the Krang thing JT.

Pretty much every toy site called the Utrom Krang. I'm sure Laird was ticked. ;)

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 03:16 AM
I actually did end up changing it to "an Utrom that looks suspiciously like Krang" before I set the article live. It covered all the bases.

Laird's just gonna have to admit that people KNOW the character as part of TMNT now. That or throw a tantrum, whatever works for him. ;)

JetsAndHeels
08-01-2008, 07:23 PM
I am going to buy that Utrom, and place it in the belly of my old toon Krang's android body. :)

JediTricks
08-03-2008, 04:55 AM
Scale issues will play into that, as will materials - Neca uses brittle plastic that would snap off. :p