PDA

View Full Version : Normal Adolescent Behavior - tonight on Life (LIF) channel - 9pm PST

Tycho
09-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Does Friends With Benefits work? This movie is about 3 school age girls and 3 school age boys (can't remember high school or college) who make a pact to give it to each other whenever they want it. The system seems to be working until one of the girls falls in love with a boy outside of the circle.

Check your local listings for when this is on LIF in your area tonight. This film seems like it could be a very interesting piece.

I do expect there might be some moralistic preaching going on in the story's resolution, but I want to see if that evolves, and for logical reasons, or typical LIF channel "emotional pandering."

Anyway, I even set my cell phone's alarm to remind me to watch this one.

El Chuxter
09-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Tycho, you watch Lifetime?

Tycho
09-03-2007, 01:54 PM

No. This will be one of very few, rare occasions.

I decided to look in the TV Guide that came with my Sunday paper to find out if The Sarah Conner Chronicles were starting (don't miss this Terminator spin-off! I saw the first episode at Comic Con and was really impressed!)

So this "Normal Adolescent Behavior" movie was advertised in the highlights. (The Terminator TV show does not start this week. I aim to Google it in a few minutes here).

2-1B
09-03-2007, 01:58 PM
I wish I had friends like that.

Rocketboy
09-03-2007, 03:34 PM
:D
No.
Freakin'.
Way.

Tycho
09-03-2007, 04:19 PM
In the meanwhile, I could not find any info concerning scheduling for The Sarah Conner Chronicles on Fox.

I saw a rumor that the school shooting scene was being edited out because of Virginia Tech's tragedy. That'll suck big time, as that whole sequence was really cool and I really hope they DO NOT edit it.

It's a Terminator show and it was really bloody and violent for TV I thought, and that had as much appeal to me as the sex ideas behind the movie that this thread is about.

Friends with benefits...school shootings...and are you going to call other programs 'reality tv' instead? Please.

Rocketboy
09-03-2007, 05:35 PM
The Terminator thing won't be on tv until early '08.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-03-2007, 05:51 PM
But at least we can all tide ourselves over until then with Lifetime Original movies. ;)

Rocketboy
09-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Or I could stick a fork in my eye, which would be far more entertaining (and less painful) than a Lifetime movie.

InsaneJediGirl
09-04-2007, 12:31 AM

Dont we all :whip:

Tycho
09-04-2007, 01:18 AM
Dang it. I couldn't get this on Direct TV! It might have come on earlier while I was napping. I tend to get shows on DTV on EST instead of PST. Forgot about that.

Did anyone catch "Normal Adolescent Behavior" tonight?

Mad Slanted Powers
09-04-2007, 02:00 AM
I considered taking a look after seeing this thread, but forgot about it. I did notice that it had Amber Tamblyn in it. I wished they hadn't cancelled Joan of Arcadia. That was a good show.

Since it is Lifetime, I'm sure it will be on many times in the future.

Tycho
09-04-2007, 05:58 AM
Since it is Lifetime, I'm sure it will be on many times in the future.

Please post here if anyone finds it airing again. I didn't see a repeat for it listed at all this week.

TeeEye7
09-04-2007, 12:05 PM
I wished they hadn't cancelled Joan of Arcadia. That was a good show.

I thought I was the only one left around who thought this. Good to see I'm in good company, MSP. :yes:

Lord Malakite
09-04-2007, 01:02 PM

You do. Unfortunately its Tycho. :D ;)

(Quickly, but quietly, sneaks away before Tycho has a chance to run me over with his car.)

2-1B
09-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Malakite I'd be more worried about him running you over with something else. :eek:

kool-aid killer
09-04-2007, 10:05 PM
MTVs "True Life" did an episode like this a couple of years ago. They had three examples of this and in all three there was someone who wanted something more in the relationship.

Tycho
09-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Can there be something more in a relationship?

What percentage of people actually find that? How many more lie about it because society expects them to conform?

What reason would there be to wait until you find "the right one?" Couldn't you just switch when you do? (Yes, a prior marriage would complicate that - so why get married?)

Don't people's interests in exclusive partners whither and wane with time? Don't people change or tire of pretending to be some kind of textbook model of their partner's ideal?

You can answer the above questions for the purposes of discussion, but I was curious if the program would address them and how a 3-way Friends with Benefits arrangement answers them. In reference to some of the preceeding comments in which I read posters' sarcasm, I state that I assume the arrangement between the 6 individuals in this program is HETEROSEXUAL. However, I suppose other interests can be catered to as well. That also begs the question if people can be added to the circle to expand the network.

Let's just say that on certain popular social networking sites online such things exist. Generally, they are private groups, very small and exclusive at that, and new members have to be approved by all the current members before they can join. That can entail anything from interviews to more personal "try-outs."

Oh, one more thing to add: "actual dating" can get complicated in these circles, as think about it - if you're planning to take some specific partner on vacation with you, others might become jealous. "Dates" must either be kept secret from the group, or eventually dating outside the group would probably occur naturally for this reason. Who to take to prom? etc.

JimJamBonds
09-05-2007, 09:46 PM

No. This will be one of very few, rare occasions.

So then the answer is yes.

stillakid
09-05-2007, 11:00 PM

What are you doing tonight?

2-1B
09-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the offer...but you're still a kid.

bobafrett
09-06-2007, 08:19 AM

In my younger years I might have enjoyed that, but now that I'm older, if I wasn't with someone, I could think of a couple of friends whom I'd enjoy a little time in the bedroom with. Problem with me is, I can't seperate sex from love, so if I'm having sex, I fall in love with that person. Blah, I wish I was an emotionless male being. :love:

Tycho
09-06-2007, 12:29 PM
It would be nice if "love" worked for me, too.

But the ladies seem less sentimental than us guys are. Relationships for them seem to be ideal if they include financial and child support. (They always negotiate for that - or sue for that, don't they?) That's usery (of men) in my eyes - especially if it's human nature to be unfaithful.*

As to the male instinct to want multiple partners for satisfaction - and younger girls as we ourselves get older, that is "normal human behavior."

Unfortunately, so is denying it and using every excuse from religion to secular notions about morality. I think the state of "love" is a fantasy situation that helps one establish singular fidelity.

*Friends with benefits keeps usery at the simplest, most-fair-to-all-parties level. An eye for an eye trade (in services) is being made.

I think it's always human nature to want more than what you have. Ironically then, even if you have three (3) handpicked sexual partners of your choice, you'll still want something more - or something "different." A relationship (as opposed to a pet sheep I guess) is one thing that's different.

It is logical to assume that more personal bonding with one partner over the others might occur anyway.

Assume you have never heard of the concept of marriage. Next assume something wonderful or something tragic happened in your life. Out of three (3) partners, would you have a preference for discussing it with one in particular, or seeking their advice? Eventually, you might tell the tale to all 3 partners, but you would have your preference.

Again when it comes time to invite someone to accompany you on vacation, go to a dance, a holiday gathering, or a wedding celebration - it would somehow come down to you choosing only one lover to accompany you. A "swingers' situation" might work, but swingers are more committed to one partner than a friends with benefits circle.

I'm really curious how things played out on this program. I think if the girl (on the show) wanted to have a more intimate partner, she should be honest with him about her FWB situation and invite him into the circle - if others would allow for that - or let him know that he could share her - but it's selfish for him to want to control her. Someone else controlling her is NOT what she's offering. Then again, the plot in the story suggests that this is exactly what she may want to change (and offer) of herself.

I think it's a great topic to explore.