PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone think of the build-your-own-FX Lightsaber?

Tycho
09-04-2007, 02:17 PM
To me this is an intriguing product - the build-your-own FX saber.

But I'm still dying for a TPM Obi-Wan FX Lightsaber! This would be the ultimate MR product I could possibly own due to its way-superior design form.

I'm surprised there weren't any posts about this "build-it-yourself-kit" here, though.

Val Da Car
09-04-2007, 02:36 PM
I for one want a look at how they interconnect but for $99 I am in!!!

jedi master sal
09-04-2007, 04:04 PM
I'll most likely get this. From the looks of you, you can have three lightsabers (granted two without blades, but having two other hilts is worth it. Could just be you'd need a specific thickness of pipe to slide the other pieces onto to make the other hilts. That's what I'm planning on doing.

For that price (if indeed it is $99) it's well worth it. That's like getting 3 for $33 each. Decent machined parts like those are worth it.

Jayspawn
09-04-2007, 09:54 PM
This is an easy pass for me. Its a neat idea though. I think a final FX would go over better with people. The time and energy spent on this should have been spent on producing a Sidious, Dooku, Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan TPM* saber. Basically, the build your own set is a combination of parts to FXs I already have. :rolleyes:

*BTW, in case people havnt heard. The Obi-Wan TPM, and Dooku have been canceled.

JediTricks
09-06-2007, 12:40 AM
I'm intrigued by the concept of building your own hilt, but I'm not as thrilled with the execution of using parts from existing designs (I didn't like it on the Hasbro version either). I'd still be totally sold though if they hadn't done the blade as a single LED flashlight-style design, that is a hurdle I'm not sure I'll be able to get past.

Sal, I don't think you can make 3 hilts at once out of it because the parts all pop onto the hilt core.

waboritas
09-11-2007, 09:53 AM
This is def. a go for me.

mtriv73
09-19-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm buying one or 2. They're supposed to be hitting radio shacks this month in time for my birthday next month (I thought I'd throw that out there just in case anyone doesn't know what to get me.);)

AoDfan
09-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Where ever I see one, I'm buying it.

BountyHunterScum
10-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Pass, I already have the sabers I wanted plus they tried this with the toys and the result was shall we say....CRAP.

Tycho
01-12-2008, 04:37 AM
I saw this toy for my first time in a Radio Shack tonight.

The blade seemed undersized - smaller than the other MR sabers I have, to be sure.

The parts did not feel like they were assembled together very study - or that they were the "heavy metal" that I'm used to with MR sabers.

The floor model they had lost its LED viability or something. The box said you could switch saber colors at the touch of a button. I couldn't even see the saber I was holding light up. It did have sound though. I'm sure the batteries were weak.

I don't know that I would NOT buy this product. It's in the back of my mind to go and get it, but the short saber blade is the biggest (or smallest) detractor.

Still it was a good idea. There are parts to create proximities of most of the famous sabers:

Obi-Wan E3, Luke E6, Vader E5, Anakin E2, Yoda E2, and possibly Ki-Adi Mundi's.

It's worth considering. Radio Shack did not have the price on it marked.

K M Toydarian
01-12-2008, 05:37 AM
Seeing it in store and holding it, I'm underwhelmed. The plastic parts seem too plastic-y and the blade doesn't glow to the end like the FX Sabers, at least in full light. In a darkened corner (behind the display) it looked OK at best. I am sure the batteries in the test could be suspect and the sturdiness of the hilt on the store samples I'm sure has a lot to do with people messing with it, or not being put together right in the first place. Still, it seems to fat and clumsy. If it came out the first year MR had FX sabers, then I'd forgive it. With the advancements they've made since, though, it is a step back.

I am curious to see if Hasbro repackages this kit to mass market. It seems like they would, now they have the FX Saber license.
Right now it's onsale for 79.99 according to the website, and I've found the store prices do mirror the web prices.
I think for a kid, it's better than the Hasbro build a saber kit, twice as much, but, could be fun.

AoDfan
01-14-2008, 02:26 PM
I've seen alot of reviews about the low quality of the MR build your own saber kits. I thought it was a good idea when I first heard about tho.

jediguy
01-15-2008, 07:37 PM
I got one of these on clearance, but I haven't opened it yet

the idea of all of the customizing options is very appealing but from what I have heard and read, most of the parts in the set are cheap
maybe when I put it all together I will just hide it in the middle of the others

I like Jedi Master Sal's idea to put one all together and then have 2 extra hilts for display

I agree with Jayspawn tho
I would have preferred a Sidious saber, but maybe Hasbro will make that for us now that EFX has the rights

let's just hope they don't screw it up!

jediguy
01-16-2008, 07:14 PM
well I put it together today
the blade is shorter than the standard, but longer than the Yoda blade
changing the hilt is easy. but I haven't figured how to keep the emitter piece to stay put
mine tends to slide
the sound effects are OK, but the source of the sound is quite evident
it doesn't sound like the blade is powering up, it sounds like the hilt is powering up
the light does not travel up and down the blade as well the other models; it's kind of a fast on and a fast off
not quite just on and off, but real close

changing colors is easy
the blue looks the best to me
the green is kind of weak
the factory set is red, and that was alright, but not a match for the Vader or Maul red colors

much to my dismay, the other pieces do not connect to each other to make hilts without the blade
maybe some white glue will help hold them together

JediTricks
01-16-2008, 09:34 PM
So how does the blade work, are there LEDs in it or is it a single emitter LED at the base?

How well do the custom parts stay on?