PDA

View Full Version : Saga Legends Hasbro's Worst SW Blunder?

jonthejedi
09-05-2007, 04:34 AM
Maybe it's time we all ask ourselves...was Saga Legends really worth the space it's taking up at retail? It's done nothing for me except delay more wave 4 that I(and others) need. And now wave 5, which was due in Aug. per Hasbro's original release schedule...is now delayed, pushing future TAC waves further & further behind. I'm already seeing clone troopers. Chewies & Fetts becoming pegwarmers. Did Hasbro once again overestimate the demand. Perhaps the quantities needed to be rethinked. The retailers can't differentiate between the two lines, because they both have coins. For the 1st time, I'm considering ebay & online retailers to complete what I'm missing. I understand the need for repacks on scarce figures & the need by some for diarama & army building...but what's happening at retail right now is ludicrous. Hasbro, please...ease back, way back on Saga Legends. I want my CZ-4 & McQuarrie Vader by Christmas!

Kidhuman
09-05-2007, 06:16 AM
Well, I have to agree, esepcially when I still have last years "legends" line on pegs in my area. This line is kind of worthless. It has 1-2 decent figures per wave, the rest sit around. I bought most of wave 4 last night on line and got free shipping on them. Amazon.com has them Jon, as you can see in the VA Just found thread. I just need to find Cz-4. I have a case of W5 on order and it comes with McVader, so I aint worried about that one.

bobafrett
09-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Yes, they are warming the pegs in my store and we still have several more boxes in the back. I did manage to see some wave three or was it 4, at any rate they were gone by the time I left, but the legends just hung around.

jedi master sal
09-05-2007, 09:12 AM
I agree Jon. It's why I tend to order cases if it fits my needs. In the case of Waves 4 and 5, I've already ordered those and won't have to worry about extras from those wave that I don't want. So I'll just need to look out for a couple extra of the McQ figs from those waves at retail and I'll be set. But at the least I'll have one of each from those waves.

Buying cases off the net is really the way to go for more and more of us. Typically if I do have extras from a case, I can sell them (at cost) to fellow collectors, so I don't get stuck with extras and other guys get at least some of the figures they want.

Legends really has been a stinker to the line. I've only bought one of the Battle droid two-packs, and a slew of the AOTC clones, but nothing else. I would have army built the droids, but for the horrible articulation and soft plastic. Wave 2 doesn't promise much for me except the SA 501st. I'll get a bunch of the grey commander and a few of the pit droids (mostly for the accessories and a scant one of others here and there. By no means will I be draining shelves of figures.

I'm seeing Legends really clog up space that should be for TAC and many retail clerks just don't get that there is a difference (or can't be bothered with it). So it's an uphill battle no matter what.

Hopefully after TAC, Hasbro will have pulled back on a second line such as Legends. My hopes is that by doing a second line this year it garners them enough cash to make the vehicles and playsets many of us have been craving for, for years. Though I know that's really pipedream at this point.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-05-2007, 09:22 AM
I've still not seen Legends in large quantities here. Were there cases of just clones? At first the only Legends I saw were solitary clones. I bought some battle droids and a sandtrooper at Target, mainly because those were probably my best bets to the the Episode I and Episode IV coins.

pegger
09-05-2007, 09:55 AM
The "Legends" line is a complete waste of plastic, space and time, IMHO.

Of course- I detest re-packed figures, especially since ANY FIGURE can be bought off ebay, and most for retail price or slightly less. People are just to damned lazy to trade, search or bid on the stuff out there.

Having said that, I do plan on picking up the Battle droids (at least the paint jobs are different), the pit droids ('cause the original ones are too expensive for me on e-bay), a couple of TC-14s (to stand in form U-3P0 and M-3P0), the Dark Trooper (mostly for the coin) and an extra Leia as boussch - but really, none of them are "must haves." However, the MAJORITY of the figures in the line are dead weight. But Hasbro didn't "need" to put out this line for me to get these items. I would have gotten around to hunting them once I needed to. (but since they are out anyways...)

Old Fossil
09-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Legends is a great idea, at least from a business and kiddie standpoint. It seems to follow the old Kenner idea, sort of, of having core characters from all the films available all the time. Reissuing old figures on new cards is nothing new; it kept Kenner accounts in the black for many years, at least until the tail end of the ROTJ and the POTF lines.

Much as I hate seeing the same Yodas, Greivous, or Clones on the pegs that I saw a year or even two years ago, they are selling, at least in my area. As has been said before, it's cheaper to reissue figures using the same molds rather than make new figures from new molds. In my area, Legends are selling only slightly less well than the main TAC line. I personally don't buy any of the Legends stuff, but it's helping keep the SW line afloat as a whole, so I can't complain too much.

Mainly kids are buying Legends, I imagine, save for army-building collectors like Sal. Given a choice, I bet kids would buy R2 or Vader over "Concept Starkiller Hero" any day, and kids are a large part of the line's customer base (whether or not it is larger than the collector part can and has been fruitlessly debated for years).

In addition, TAC and Legends use different SKU's or UPC codes or whatever for replenishment purposes. As TAC sells, store computers automatically order more, regardless of how many Legends are on the pegs. Or so I've been told. They are separate lines as far as the computer inventories go, and accordingly they replenish separately.

We may not like Legends much, but it is for the time being a necessary evil.:twisted:

TheRealDubya
09-05-2007, 12:10 PM
I saw a group of three boys, probably about 6 yrs old, at a TRU on Sunday, and they were going nuts for the Legends. Darth Vaders, Chewbaccas, Yodas, Clones...they wanted them all. Meanwhile our boy Biggs in Academy threads was getting his warm on. I think Fossil has it right -- it's the old Kenner model, and I like it. It's great for kids, the health of the line and for customizing fodder. I'm sure the TAC will be flooding in around the holidays en masse.

bigbarada
09-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Sure, it's the Kenner model, but it could actually be said that a lack of new product was responsible for the death of the toy line in 1984-85. I only saw POTF figures on shelves once in 1986 and even then they were mostly repacks of ROTJ figures that I already owned. So I didn't buy anything new.

Sure kids want Vaders, Lukes, R2s and Yodas; but I don't know of any kid who wants more than one of all of those. Also very few kids are interested in army building and they probably don't see a point in buying several of the same toy.

Supposedly Saga Legends isn't interfering with new waves of TAC being ordered, but it doesn't seem to be solving the problem of TAC and SL pegs both being clogged with SL figures. While I'm sure that most stores have several cases of wave 4 sitting around in the stock room somewhere, they're not being put on the shelf because the Legends line is just crowding everything out.

This was a horrible idea on Hasbro's part.

Ji'dai
09-05-2007, 02:30 PM
I dislike repacks, especially entire lines of them that take up a lot of space, but I hate the UGH chase figures most of all. The reason we're not seeing CZ-4 or McQuarrie Vader is because of the UGH crapola. I'd be done with wave 4 by now had it not been for UGH figures taking the place of CZ & McVader. Gold cards and coins? Bah, who really gives a ****?

Kidhuman
09-05-2007, 02:34 PM
In the Ask Hasbro, I put forth a question of releasing the Legends type line around Christmas since demand for toys is higher and might have a better chance of not warming then. Hopefully they look at that point and realize it will work better that way.

As for the replenishments goes:

They will replenish the TAC line based on TAC line sales. But when they come in and employees have stocked the TAC pegs full of Legends line figs, they will not pack out and sit in the back causing no further sales and no further replenishment.

Sinscia Fat'o
09-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Well i for one have mixed feelings about legends, its great for collectors like me who missed out on several of the figures the first time around, and figures i wanted more of to army build with. Though on the other side of that coin it has made it very hard to find new figures because of the legends line. In my area at the Wal-Mart i work at, we've yet to recieve any legends waves, which is a good thing i think since they wouldn't sell at my store, though the other wal marts around me have recieved them and have sold through some of them decently. The only real peg warmers i've seen in the Chewy, Vader, and obi-Wan (Pilot) the rest seem to go pretty fast.

Do i think the legends line could work? Yes i do but bringing back figures that was in the greatest battle assortments from the saga line back again for the legends (Such as Chewy, Shock Trooper, Grievous, Vader, and Anakin just to name a few), was a bad idea, those figures should have been other figures or other versions of those characters we have not seen in a while. I also think adding the coins was a bad idea as well since it does confuse clerks of the store...i had to explain the difference to dept. managers at my store...

Another bad problem is the ratio of cases...Wave 5, X1 pit droids,X1 Empire officer, X1 Sandtrooper, X1Destroyer Droid,X2 AOTC Clone Trooper, X2 Battle Droid two pack, X1 General Grievous, X1 R2-D2, X1 Yoda, X1 Darth Vader, and X1 ROTS Clone Trooper

Whats the problem with this case? Were to begin. Wheres the Dark Trooper, wheres TC-14? Instead in wave 5! We get base figures such as Grievous, Yoda and Vader from Wave 1! Bad move, I understand we need those figures in the waves but do we need half the case of wave 5 to be from wave 1? Kinda defeats the purpose. In fact the most requested figure from legends being the dark trooper only appears in 3 cases! Wave 3, 3.1, and 3.2 as a one of...shouldn't he be at least 2 in at least one of these cases since he was requested, he is cool looking and has collector and kid appeal? WTF!

My other major problem with Legends is the same thing i love about it, the army building, now me being a very casual army builder (Im talking like 3-6 of each not counting previous edditions of course) i've already gotten majority of the figures i wanted to build with...now living in a area where hasbro has forgotten about has to turn to the internet to buy figures from retailers such as EE, Brians Toys ETC...i dont have the luxury for waiting for retail, because if im holding my breath im going to pass out.

Sorry for the ramble but i feel better now, their distrubution for legends, and TAC has just been bloody horrid, and their selection of figures per case is even worse.

Droid
09-05-2007, 02:53 PM
One of my local Walmarts has had nothing but Legends all year and they aren't selling. I get so tired of Hasbro explaining to us that they are separate lines and that one does not affect the other because it ignores the FACTS. All of the pegs in many stores are filled with Legends and so they are not putting out or ordering TAC figures.

El Chuxter
09-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Amen. Stores just want figures; they don't necessarily care which. If they do pay attention to the breakdown info, they're probably saying, "This one line has Vader, C-3PO, Boba Fett, and Clonetroopers. I've heard of them. The other line has Hermi Odle, Biggs Darklighter, Salacious Crumb, and Darth Malek. Who the hell are they? Well, we've got room for just two cases, so I think we'll go with two cases of the Legends. Screw those weirdo characters. They'll never sell."

Blue2th
09-05-2007, 04:34 PM
It is creating a burgeoning secondary market I suspect. With the pegs full of Legends, stocking slows down, so when a case of regular TAC is finally stocked, it sells out very quickly.
When new figures come out, but very few are stocked because of room on the pegs, they become a scarcity.
Scalpers paradise.
Especially the ones who actually work in the retail stores and are collector-scalpers or real good friends (or business partners) with someone just a text-message away.
Like at least one of my local TRU's, at least one or two Walmarts, possibly one Target in my area.
Looks like it's going to be alot more online shopping for me once again. Didn't I just go through this last year? :squareeye

TheRealDubya
09-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Looks like it's going to be alot more online shopping for me once again. Didn't I just go through this last year? :squareeye

I think I've said this before, but I have gone online for about 90% of my TAC shopping. I got really tired of going from store-to-store-to-store and seeing the same figures. Brian's Toy's One of Each club has been a godsend for me; I have been getting the figure well before (4-6 weeks in most cases) before they hit mass retail. I now make about 2 store trips a month to Target, TRU or Fred Meyer to get the Comic Packs and Legends I want (basically my one favorite figure with a movie's coin, so that I can have one of each coin.) As a collector, retail drives me nuts. As someone buying gifts for nephews and friend's kids, it's perfectly acceptable.

Sinscia Fat'o
09-05-2007, 05:10 PM
It is creating a burgeoning secondary market I suspect. With the pegs full of Legends, stocking slows down, so when a case of regular TAC is finally stocked, it sells out very quickly.
When new figures come out, but very few are stocked because of room on the pegs, they become a scarcity.
Scalpers paradise.
Especially the ones who actually work in the retail stores and are collector-scalpers or real good friends (or business partners) with someone just a text-message away.
Like at least one of my local TRU's, at least one or two Walmarts, possibly one Target in my area.

I work for Wal-Mart, and have to fight off members of management to get figures. Though scalping is at a all time low on star wars figures in my area, the horrding of figures for buddies still goes on. I can honestly say i dont go through pallets og merchandise to get what i want, i wait for it to hit the shelves and then get what i want, though like i said in my previous post, wal marts is having a drastic problem getting these in and getting them to the shelves, i think it has alot to do with hasbro and their warehouses, and such. Though online is the way to go, you dont have worries and such about getting what you want, and it also helps out with gas proces being stupid, i dont know about the rest of you but going on four hour trips here and there looking for what i want got old, and forced me out of the hobby a few years back, though im also very glad i dont collect other figures like marvel legends, or the WWE classics since they are being scalped very heavy in my area...though Kay Bee is nothing but a crew of E-Bay salers working part time to get their inventory.--which is lame.

Blue2th
09-05-2007, 06:18 PM
I work for Wal-Mart, and have to fight off members of management to get figures.
That's pretty sad. Yeah, I was reminded of that when I went into one of two TRU's yesterday to look for CZ-4 and McQuarrie Vader.
Well the pegs were jamb-packed with Legends.
Interestingly enough, above the rack in the hidden compartment were two opened boxes of Wave 4, so I proceeded to bring them down to see if there were any of the figures I wanted, and I hear "can I help you" I said that no I was looking for figures I didn't have. He said "everything that's up there is on the rack" I said no there's two boxes of figures from wave 4 that are not on the pegs. He got all snippy and said "well they should all be there" He then walked away.
There were'nt any Vaders or CZ-4's anyways. So I put them back.
It just bugs me that they could become so abbrasive to me, a customer.
I then remembered that the manager of the store has a fairly new Black Mustang outside in the parking lot with "Vader" personalized plates.

jedi master sal
09-05-2007, 08:27 PM
I was just thinking about it and I bought waves 1, 4 and 5 as cases online.

If I could have found someone to split wave 2, that would have been an internet purchase as well.

As it were, many of my purchases have actually been through fellow collectors.

JediTricks
09-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Maybe it's time we all ask ourselves...was Saga Legends really worth the space it's taking up at retail?Of course it wasn't, but I think it's funny that there was anybody who thought otherwise anyway (beyond Hasbro's people, naturally). Some of us were bashing this idea a year ago, saying the suffering was all but assured. Re-releasing Leia Boushh?!? C'mon, that made no sense at all, it's a nice figure but it pegwarmed for a year - LAST year! And as I feared, the desire for clonetroopers was overstated - I don't mind seeing a couple on pegs at any time, but pick a horse with these mofos, we don't need a ton of variations on this, especially the Ep 2 helmet design which I'm seeing way too much of now.

Every store in my area is stuffed with Legends figures all across the SW pegs, none of these chains seems to give a squirt about Hasbro's multiple SKUs.

I don't actually mind the concept of the line, it's the execution I can't stand. Some folks should have access to older figures that are worth having (though not every figure in this SL line is actually worth having - how many crapass ROTS Yodas does anybody need?!?) but it should have been done with restraint, especially since buyers ended up abandoning the SW line in droves for the Transformers line, further slowing up the works.

The real problem is Hasbro's created a culture of desperation with SW collecting and Saga Legends furthers it, Hasbro says they can't crank out new product that much right now yet they bury us with SL which it feels like they produce endlessly - it reeks of bad resource management and bad prioritization, and we end up suffering as usual. The dog-eat-dog atmosphere created from this is too much to handle.

bigbarada
09-06-2007, 01:19 AM
Clonetroopers are pegwarming like dogs around here. Like Ewoks in the 1980s, I think the public demand has been filled.

mm74md
09-06-2007, 06:28 AM
I'm too busy to hunt for the Concept Vader. I bit the bullet and paid (gulp!) $15 for him on eBay. My schedule doesn't allow me to get to Target at opening and Wal Mart is a waste of time as is TRU. I love the Galactic Marine figure & EP II Clone, but I hate them sitting there in droves on the pegs along with the usual suspects.

jedi master sal
09-06-2007, 10:21 AM
...I love the Galactic Marine figure & EP II Clone, but I hate them sitting there in droves on the pegs along with the usual suspects.

I here ya. The Galactic Marine is indeed an excellent fig. However I stopped somewhere just after 20 of them. I got over 60 AOTC (Legends) clones as well. I've finally satiated my need for them. Besides they are still going to be shipping in a few future cases.

While I still plan on getting some more Legends figs, those are waves 3, 4, 5. At this rate, I won't see those till late this year, early next. Not to mention TAC not hitting.

Luckily I have found Wv 3 TAC at stores. But I ordered 4 and 5 not just to be safe on getting them, but to save the frustration and gas on not finding them. $75 a case plus shipping and I still end up getting them for cheaper than retail. Any extras are easily sold to fellow collectors (at cost of course).

Mister Roboto
09-06-2007, 01:05 PM
I understand having some rereleases and if the last 2 waves of Legends ever hit the shelves, they will probably sell. Those figures were in higher demand. The first two waves were just poorly executed. Why bring back Leia in Boussh disguise and some of those Episode III already?

Sinscia Fat'o
09-06-2007, 04:33 PM
maybe next year we wont have a legends line and will have a more dedicated hasbro to their main line, though i dont think that will happen or if they go with a repack line up maybe they will just feature them in their main line...3 repacks, and 3 new figures, 2 of each, or so on.

Galactic Marine is a awesome figure, i just wish he had a little better leg articulation or a cloth thingie around his waste. Mine have a hard time standing up, even on stands. though its one of the best sculpted figures so far in the TAC.

i havent found wave three yet in stores. Though i did find them on EE, and ordered them that way...a little more than i would like but hey better than going to hell and half of Georgia trying to find these things. I was also very pleased to find MC Fett on their site as a single. Now i will either have one loose or give one of my friends one as a thanks for helping me find this stuff gift.

As for Scalpers at my wal mart, one of them got busted for taking merchandise out of the back, and telling people he sold it on ebay, and that was how he really made his living...Well the manager that collects star wars found out about all of this...wasnt pretty. Another one for the good guys...people who dont even let this crap hit shelves suck, and make it hard for folks like myself who actually dont horde everything that comes in espically to make a buck off the collector community.

Jaff
09-08-2007, 07:09 PM
The legends line is a bad problem for multiple reasons.

First it is the ultimate peg warmer.

Second the shipping methods of the Legends figures is an embarrasment. For example: 7 cases were shipped to one location after the shelves have been empty for a month. 5 of those cases were legends figures, and 2 were Wave 4 rev 4 figures. Though they are different SKU's and order differently the ratio of Legends being shipped in comparison to the real deal is a mess. If you want to find repacked figures that damage the possible value of older obscure figures (like Darktrooper, Ephant, Pit Droids, etc.) they're easy to find. If you want to find newer figures and chase down UGH figs go online, because the retail market can't get them to you. I'm very sad their voting another wave of Legends. It's nothing more than an interuption and de-valuing concept to collecting.

Old Fossil
09-08-2007, 08:52 PM
In my area, some of the worst pegwarmers are the Galactic Marine, the Airborne Trooper (including the UGH variant), and Academy Biggs. Other TAC that're lingering are the DS Trooper, Kenobi, Vader, and R2. I suspect that Vader and R2 are moving slow because there's a Vader and R2 in the Legends line... but the ARE moving, even so.

In Legends, the only real pegwarmers I see are AOTC and ROTS white Clones. And even though they're moving slowly, like Vader and R2 they ARE moving. Even the Threepio/Battle Droid thing is selling. As a collector, I am frustrated, but from where I see it, Hasbro is making good money off of both Legends and TAC.

Of course, I live in the boonies, so scalper/collector pressure ain't what it is in L.A. (lower Alabama). Or Los Angeles...

Blue2th
09-08-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm very sad their voting another wave of Legends. It's nothing more than an interuption and de-valuing concept to collecting.

That's the reason I didn't vote or will not vote in any of these Legends polls. It wouldn't be so bad if it was one or two of the top ten, but no Hasbro has their own ideas what is a Legend figure....ah duh, let's put out another Yoda or Vader or Chewbacca on top of the Saga ones that didn't sell and is still on the pegs from last year and clog the pegs. :ninja:
If you missed the damn figure too bad. Go online and buy it off the secondary market. Most are cheap enough now.
I want no part of the stupid "Legends"

jedibear
09-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Alot of good discussion here.

I think the bottom line on the legends banner is how they were released. I wish Hasbro had waited until the fourth quarter to even introduce this line. here we are...in the third quarter and we're only up to wave four of the SW30 collection...(and some of us have barely made it THAT far) yet pegs everywhere are awash in this Legends line...even as far north as me.

I read some folks sighted wave four over the weekend at some WM's TRU's and KB's....all three of those options up here only put out MORE Legends cases...

It's not a bad concept...it just should've been used to help bulk up holiday supplies of figures, not augment the "current" line. At this rate, the SW30 line will have to be carried over well into next year (2nd or 3rd quarters) to get all of those waves out to us.

And...of course as it's always been the case in collecting these figures, the mid-to-late waves have some of the best and most unique characters offered in the line (that's not to say that there haven't been some good ones so far)...if this logjam of "Legends" continues, one has to wonder if those later waves will ever reach anywhere outside the major metro markets....heck of a way to celebrate the 30th, eh?

Devo
09-09-2007, 10:31 AM
In my area, some of the worst pegwarmers are the Galactic Marine, the Airborne Trooper (including the UGH variant), and Academy Biggs. Other TAC that're lingering are the DS Trooper, Kenobi, Vader, and R2. I suspect that Vader and R2 are moving slow because there's a Vader and R2 in the Legends line... but the ARE moving, even so.

In Legends, the only real pegwarmers I see are AOTC and ROTS white Clones.

I've never seen an OT trooper pegwarm. Perhaps because they never tend to be available in great numbers in Ireland. And perhaps because unlike prequel troopers they have decent screentime in the original films. I can't remember seeing an airborne trooper in ROTS. And the Galactic marine was only slightly more visible. But the OT was filled with stormtroopers and all plain white so there was no confusion. After the stormtrooper the Death Star trooper was probably the most common in the OT and likewise I've not seen him pegwarm.

Sinscia Fat'o
09-09-2007, 03:01 PM
If you want to find repacked figures that damage the possible value of older obscure figures (like Darktrooper, Ephant, Pit Droids, etc.) they're easy to find. If you want to find newer figures and chase down UGH figs go online, because the retail market can't get them to you. I'm very sad their voting another wave of Legends. It's nothing more than an interuption and de-valuing concept to collecting.

I really really gotta disagree with you here. These toys arent stock, and their secondary market value is usually nothing anyway...this isnt vintage, How many of these figures brought out since POTF2-TAC have been made and kept in the package in pristine mint condition? So why not bring back figures that collectors espically didnt have access to their first times around? Its a good thing for the hobby and for collectors.

Legends dont de value the concept collecting the secondary markets for Ephant, Dark Trooper, and those pit droids really reallt discourage most people from our hobby, because nobody is going to want to pay 40 -90 bucks for these figures just to finish collections. Hasbro is giving us a second chance at finding these things so we dont have to spend this kind of money which is good for us and and them.

Though you are right about going on line to chase down TAC, and UGH figures, its cheaper in the long run and you actually get what you need, because retail shot themselves in the foot with their ordering process, the buyers for the major chains such as Wal-Mart, Target TRU ETC only ordered limited quanities (I know this about wal-mart the other two is speculation) of the TAC, AKA enough to fill the pegs once or twice per store, per wave. So dont blame your store, but blame the corporation...(Because its not the department managers and store managers bad ordering skills its their companies lack of knowledge about the product they carry.)

Mad Slanted Powers
09-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Indeed. Devaluing might be a good thing if it means scalpers don't see any opportunity to profit from Star Wars figures.

jedi master sal
09-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Indeed. Devaluing might be a good thing if it means scalpers don't see any opportunity to profit from Star Wars figures.

That's how I see it.

it still bothers me when guys in my local collecting groups go on and on about their collections being devalued because of rereleases. That shows that they are ultimately in it for the money. Even if not now, eventually.

Veers
09-09-2007, 09:48 PM
I use to try to collect every figure but I have given up when they repackage figures nobody wants. I do like the Boba Fett for instance but why would we want another boring Anakin Skywalker figure. I like to see them make new figures.

bigbarada
09-09-2007, 10:10 PM
That's how I see it.

it still bothers me when guys in my local collecting groups go on and on about their collections being devalued because of rereleases. That shows that they are ultimately in it for the money. Even if not now, eventually.

But I was going to sell my Droid Factory Threepio in twenty years and buy a house with the profits.:cry: Now Hasbro has ruined that for me!:mad:

:p

figrin bran
09-09-2007, 10:43 PM
But I was going to sell my Droid Factory Threepio in twenty years and buy a house with the profits.:cry: Now Hasbro has ruined that for me!:mad:

:p

Oh well, you'll just have to pin your hopes on those Jerjerrods then :p

Blue2th
09-10-2007, 01:48 AM
Got the house from the last time I sold my collection. So I don't have to worry 'bout that now.

Lets see... I missed a few figures because they were so hard to find. I don't want to pay scalpers to get them because they are so rare:
Vader
Yoda
Grievous
R2-D2
Chewbacca
Distroyer Droid
Leia Boush
C-3PO with Droid head
Maybe a few dozen Clones or Troopers that haven't been made in 20 years.
etc.

Oh wait, I might be able to find them if I look hard enough. Yeah I forgot, I can still get most of these on Saga II cards and now Legends all on the same pegs. Maybe even a Shock Trooper or two. The ROTS figures are so expensive on the secondary market because of the rare and beautiful card. I must have all these figures on all three card designs.
That'll teach them scalpers!

jedi master sal
09-10-2007, 08:02 AM
Got the house from the last time I sold my collection. So I don't have to worry 'bout that now.

Lets see... I missed a few figures because they were so hard to find. I don't want to pay scalpers to get them because they are so rare:
Vader
Yoda
Grievous
R2-D2
Chewbacca
Distroyer Droid
Leia Boush
C-3PO with Droid head
Maybe a few dozen Clones or Troopers that haven't been made in 20 years.
etc.

Oh wait, I might be able to find them if I look hard enough. Yeah I forgot, I can still get most of these on Saga II cards and now Legends all on the same pegs. Maybe even a Shock Trooper or two. The ROTS figures are so expensive on the secondary market because of the rare and beautiful card. I must have all these figures on all three card designs.
That'll teach them scalpers!

You jest, but figures like the Dark Trooper, Si Bibble, TC-14 and many more are examples of figures HTF/shortpacked etc, that many collectors didn't get the first go around and resigned themselves to never own due to inflated secondary market prices. So Hasbro wins by getting these wanted figures back onto shelves, collectors, new fans, and kids win by getting figures they didn't have before and scalpers lose because they won't be able to get as much money as before (which really is a win for all of the rest of us).

So I really don't see a problem with figures being rereleased so long as those rereleases make sense. In the case of HTF or short packed figs, they do.

In the case of some of thsoe first 2 waves of Legends, they don't. But thankfully, at least in my area, the pegwarming doesn't seem to be as bad as it is in many other peoples areas.

El Chuxter
09-10-2007, 08:29 AM
You might have a point on the HTF figures, JMS, but why not release, say, Holo Sidious or Acension Gun Padme, as opposed to the Leia Boushh or Droid Factory C-3PO, both of whom are now pegwarming on their third cards in three years?

Jaff
09-15-2007, 09:48 AM
So dont blame your store, but blame the corporation...(Because its not the department managers and store managers bad ordering skills its their companies lack of knowledge about the product they carry.)

Actually the reality is a bit more complicated than that. Lack of knowledge has nothing to do with anything here. If you work at retail dig deeper for the truth. I am not allowed to speak of this matter in detail, but I can tell you that your assumption here is dead wrong.

Old Fossil
09-15-2007, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE=Jaff;570610] Lack of knowledge has nothing to do with anything here. [QUOTE]

George H.W.? Is that you?:laugh:

bigbarada
09-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Actually the reality is a bit more complicated than that. Lack of knowledge has nothing to do with anything here. If you work at retail dig deeper for the truth. I am not allowed to speak of this matter in detail, but I can tell you that your assumption here is dead wrong.

:ninja: I smell a conspiracy.... (cue X-Files theme).....

jedibear
09-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Arrrgghhh!

Just got back from making the rounds...and the limited options I have up here all put out (drumroll please) more cases of Legends! Please...make it stop. The rest of the country is going to be on wave 8 of SW30 before we ever see wave 4 at his rate.

The only thing Legendary about Legends is it's super-powered ability of keeping new releases off the pegs....make it stop! No more Legends!!!

Mad Slanted Powers
09-15-2007, 12:29 PM
I still don't see a lot of Legends here. Wal-Mart has a lot of figures, but most of them are TAC pegwarmers. Lots of Obi-Wans, R2s, and Vaders. Not much of a Legends presence there. Target probably only has half the pegs that Wal-Mart has at best. Half their figures might be legends, but they don't seem to be clogging the pegs. There is room to put another case or two on the pegs. Still haven't seen anything beyond wave 3 in the store yet.

Sinscia Fat'o
09-15-2007, 03:55 PM

LOL, i gave Mulder and Scully a ring-zing and they're getting right on that. Though my opinion on that matter is by the store i work at, the department managers and most store managers for that matter either dont care, or dont have a clue about what sells and what dont, i even went as far to try and get the department manager of toys to take pics and report the 16 or so Saga Vaders to hasbro as peg warmers to get them out of our store...that was quite a while ago and those Vaders are still hangin around... Another good point in this matter is that legends and TAC aren't getting the same replenishment for a reason...being that buyers of these chains are going with legends because of name appeal of characters Vaders, Obi's, Troopers ETC over Concept figures, Biggs, and random aliens, because in their educated opinions (Not educated in hobbies) Vader will out sell Ellis Herlot (Spelling?) any time of the week...

JEDIpartner
09-17-2007, 01:57 PM
I think this LEGENDS series would've been good if they HAD just stuck to the core characters. They could repack the obscure characters and HTF ones in various waves of the main line. Oh, well. *shrug*

JediTricks
09-18-2007, 04:51 AM
I got fed up with Hasbro's answers and posted a question in the Questions for Hasbro voting thread about Saga Legends killing the basic line. Go vote for it or suggest changes.

Mister Roboto
09-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Something is definately screwed up with the line. One walmart near me has a few figures from the first 2 waves of TAC, a few Legends wave 1 figures, an entire endcap full of the last few waves of Saga 2 (the repaint waves), and one endcap with the Vader/coin book and Father's Day sets. All I'm finding anywhere else is the pegwarmers from the first 3 TAC waves and a bunch of figures from the first 2 Legends waves.

El Chuxter
09-18-2007, 11:29 AM
JT, what the hell did you link to there?

Droid
09-18-2007, 01:47 PM
I went to my local Walmart yesterday. As I walked down the aisle I was excited because I could see they stocked and my Walmart has literally had ONE wave of TAC stocked this year; I check daily. They had stocked CASES of Legends. It took every bit of peg space and they were literally falling on the floor. This Walmart will not stock or order figures again perhaps this year I am sure.

dindae
09-18-2007, 02:04 PM
I really don't see an issue with Legends as a whole. The bottom line is that it makes Hasbro money. the more Hasbro makes off of Star Wars the more money they can invest in the line. I don't care about the line myself aside from a few army builders and repaints. In my area I probably see more TAC pegwarmers than Legends. However I see tons of both. I've gotten really casual about my shopping habits but I still haven't seen anything from wave 4 or 5. It may just be that the way wave 4 is packed there isn't much left when a "one of every figure" collector hits the store. I don't believe Hasbro is correct in it's statement that the line doesn't cause problem at the local level. This is mainly because I don't think that store stockers making $7 an hour care about Star Wars unless they are a collector (take your pick on which is worse). I think this could be made better is Hasbro changed the packaging for the Legends line. Ultimately Wal-Mart/Target/K-Mart are big stores with a small portion of profit coming from toys. An even smaller portion of that is Star Wars. I would also imagine that those store have a pretty high churn rate of employees. Hasbro expects to much from the standard toy aisle employee. I really think this is where Toys R Us or KB could step things up by getting more involved with lines. But they don't so I will wait a few weeks and then find my cases of wave 4 and 5 at retail when it is all over the place like wave 3 is now. If not then I can go online and pick up what I missed.

JediTricks
09-18-2007, 04:29 PM
JT, what the hell did you link to there?Nothing, there's never been a link in my post. I think Steve may have been experimenting with the ad-word thing.

El Chuxter
09-18-2007, 05:13 PM
You talking about that dealio that adds links to everything?

That is the devil.

Something in your post was linking to some totally random DVD on Amazon. Like some 1970s British horror movie or something.

plasticfetish
09-25-2007, 01:04 AM
I have mixed feelings about the Legends line. On the one hand, yeah, there’s a lot of boring same-old-same-old on the pegs. But on the other hand, I did just find TC-14 (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=5164) and RA-7 (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=5165) today, so... :)

Actually the reality is a bit more complicated than that.Okay, here's what I don't understand Jaff... and if you can't go into it, I'll understand. Why seven cases of figures all at once? You guys use an automated replenishment system. If the problem is that you're at the mercy of whatever's available at a given time, and in that case it was a bunch of pretty much all the same thing, why not only ship to shelf what will fill the pegs, and then ship another case or two from the DC a few weeks later... as needed.

I thought that was the whole point of an automated replenishment system. Not to have this feast or famine situation where the pegs are empty for weeks on end, and then suddenly there's a huge drop of just one wave of figures.

I assume your distribution center does stock and regulate, and spread things out using some kind of logical system.

Now, if the problem is at Hasbro's end, and they're having huge delays between shipments from overseas (for whatever reason), then I can understand how that might screw things up as well. For any and every store really.

Kidhuman
09-25-2007, 06:22 AM
The seven cases is an initial shipment I would assume

mtriv73
09-25-2007, 08:55 AM
It could be worse, they could have released the Neimoidian Warrior in the Legends line. Those would still be on the pegs for the 300th anniversary of Star Wars.

We've gotten a decent amount of new figures around here, the problem is there are nearly identical Vaders from both the TAC and Legends lines, Yoda and Mace Windu, Wookie rage Chewbacca's and C3P0 with the blasted battle droid head filling the pegs and keeping anything new from coming in.

Adam
09-26-2007, 01:23 AM
My area has all of the above situations. At TRU, its pretty good. They've got some wave 4 in (bought a Luke and seen some of the others), and haven't gone gonzo with legends. However theres a Wal-Mart I go to sometimes that is exactly as Droid describes - formally they had TSC figures and are now stocked to the BRIM with Legends. ( Admittedly, they had some ones that should sell though, such as the sand trooper and V-Fett.) There was one Wal-Mart that actually had nothing - literally. Empty pegs. (I assume they had got wave 5 in and left the pegs empty to spite me.) The closest Wally World is still working on getting rid of waves 2 and 3. My Target has the problem with employee's mixing the Legends with TAC, but I've been working on fixing that. But then again I wonder why I bother since we haven't gotten anything new in almost 3 months.

As a side note, McChewie pegwarms throughout here for some reason.

Droid
09-26-2007, 09:36 AM
I don't remember a year with such terrible distribution. It is nearly October and even with checking stores every day I have never seen all of the figures from Waves One, Two, Four or Five. I have had the best luck with Wave Three.

But I could go buy five of any Legends figure released so far at just about any store in town.

TheRealDubya
09-26-2007, 11:08 AM
At TRU, its pretty good. They've got some wave 4 in (bought a Luke and seen some of the others), and haven't gone gonzo with legends. However theres a Wal-Mart I go to sometimes that is exactly as Droid describes...

TRU has been very dilligent about keeping the TAC stocked in our area. It is my understanding that there were tons of delays because of the coins, and that it really had nothing to do with the stores. Now that they are flowing, the TRU is keeping them out there and selling as fats as they can. If they run out of current waves, they put up more TAC pegwarmers (Biggs, Hans, Lukes, Vaders) but don't just gap-fill with Legends.

Target/Wally's/Big Box...jacks of all trades, masters of none. TRU is good at what they do because it is ALL they do. Maybe we've just got a good manager in our area, I don't know. The Wal-Marts look like they're managed by 5 year olds and the Targets are breeding grounds for chaos and Saga Legends, which if you want AOTC clones and Darth Vaders is AWESOME for you.

JEDIpartner
09-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Here's a perfect example of how stupid this line is: Saga Legends - Destroyer Droid (http://www.kandccollectibles.com/images/tn0319_lg.jpg) and 30th Anniversary Collection - Destroyer Droid (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/HAS13926.jpg). What the heck was the point of putting this nifty but redundant army builder in both lines?

Kidhuman
09-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Dont forget about 3PO with Battle droid head(which pegwarmed so hard it made Dollar General the first time, you can still find last years version and its coming out again later this year in a battle pack)

JEDIpartner
09-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Oh, I know. But the point is that the same character with a slightly different mould isn't being released in two lines. It would be far worse if they put out that original one again and then serviced us another one in the 30AC line using the "ultimate" Threepio body with an AOTC paint job and reusing the Battle Droid head.

Devo
09-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Looks like its another Clone-a-thon for the next batch of legends. :rolleyes::mad::tired: (thankyou rebelscum for saving me money)

JediTricks
09-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Yeah, WTF is with these results? They feel like too much of the same gimmick over and over: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=1103

pegger
09-28-2007, 07:10 PM
I can understand Neyo. And Zev.

That's it.

Kidhuman
09-28-2007, 07:53 PM
That is the biggest waste I have ever seen. I dont need any of those. Thanks Hasbro for clogging my pegs yet again.

El Chuxter
09-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Neyo wasn't even supposed to be ****ing eligible!!! :mad:

On the plus side, I can finally get a damned Zev Senesca figure! :mabs:

figrin bran
09-28-2007, 10:10 PM
I guess there were lots of unsold quantities for all of the exclusive clones?

A better way to rerelease Neyo would've been through the Saleucemi pack

plasticfetish
09-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Clones, clones, the magical fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot.
The more you toot, the better you feel. So eat your clones with every meal.

(...oh wait, that's "beans" isn't it.)

I'm so f***ing sick of clones.

jedi master sal
09-29-2007, 02:24 AM
Of those listed:
Shadow Stormtrooper
Commander Neyo
Covert Ops Clone Trooper
Utapau Shadow Trooper
Zev Senesca

I will get:
X2 Shadow Stormtrooper
X10 Commander Neyo (However I REALLY wish Hasbro would pack in a regular belt so we can make him a grunt instead. So it looks like I'm going to have to cut the shoulder armor off.)
ZERO! Covert Ops Clone Trooper-This was SOOO a novelty clone. I got one carded and one loose. That's plenty for me.
X2 Utapau Shadow Trooper-I already have 2 or 3 of these, so a couple more to complete a squad is plenty for me.
Zev Senesca-zero. Not because I don't like the figure, but I've already got him from the snowspeeder set, so I won't need him again.

Qui-Long Gone
09-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Apparently in the Star Wars toy universe, the Clones are China....(insert innapropriate national/cultural/political/social joke here).:lipsrsealed::yes::Dlol

I never thought I'd say I was sick of Clones :rolleyes:

Ji'dai
09-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Of the five winners, I only voted for Zev. I can't remember the other four I voted for, but they sure as hell weren't clones.

El Chuxter
09-29-2007, 01:21 PM
I voted Zev, Graxxol, Ephant, and I disremember who else. No clones.

I would not be surprised, given how fishy past polls have been, if Hasbro wanted it to look like we'd have a shot at getting big figures like Ephant and Graxxol again (first time carded for Graxxol), but weren't really going to allow it.

Also, it bothers me more the more I think about it: I overpaid for all these stinking Clonetroopers. A lot. :mad:

plasticfetish
09-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Also, it bothers me more the more I think about it: I overpaid for all these stinking Clonetroopers. A lot. :mad:That really should be the thing that bother everyone with this. It completely minimizes the importance of an "exclusive" if they're just going to re-release it a little while later.

Kidhuman
09-29-2007, 03:20 PM
I would not be surprised, given how fishy past polls have been, if Hasbro wanted it to look like we'd have a shot at getting big figures like Ephant and Graxxol again (first time carded for Graxxol), but weren't really going to allow it.

I feel the same way. Neyo was added to the list because RS wanted it there and they couldnt take no for an answer. F-Neyo, F-Hasbro polls, they are a waste of time. If they do run another toy fare poll, I would be surprised if they were all clones also.

That really should be the thing that bother everyone with this. It completely minimizes the importance of an "exclusive" if they're just going to re-release it a little while later.

Every single one of these figures were exclusive in some form. I bought the Treachery pack and the Snowspeeder/Zev. I dont fell bad about those because:

A) I got 2 figures and 2 speeders for 20 bucks, same as 2 deluxe sets from back in the day

B) I didnt have a snowspeeder yet.

The rest are these Target 15 dollar a pop clones that I thought were sh*t the first time around and I sure as hell aint getting them the second time around.

I just want to know when will people learn that HASBRO WILL PRODUCE CLONES UNTIL THE LINE RUNS OUT!!!! Stop wasting votes and shelf space with these idiotic polls for stuff that will be produced.

El Chuxter
09-29-2007, 09:41 PM
I saw the GH Naboo set and Lanny Mulletman with his pimped-out Y-Wing today. But I passed, since I have this crazy feeling I'll see Jar Jar and Qui-Gon in a set together, and Lanny and his yaller droid will probably show up on a card sooner or later.

This cheapening of exclusives is making me less likely to buy new products, in other words. I wonder if Hasbro realizes that? I could've easily dropped $60 on toys just for four figures.

Blue2th
09-30-2007, 07:35 PM
I saw the GH Naboo set and Lanny Mulletman with his pimped-out Y-Wing today. But I passed, since I have this crazy feeling I'll see Jar Jar and Qui-Gon in a set together, and Lanny and his yaller droid will probably show up on a card sooner or later.

This cheapening of exclusives is making me less likely to buy new products, in other words. I wonder if Hasbro realizes that? I could've easily dropped $60 on toys just for four figures.

Exactly. I feel that all my effort, gasoline, hunting, putting up with crabby Target/ TRU employees/ stocker/ scalpers has somehow been trivialized by the results of these latest "Legends" winners.

I'll think twice before I pay double for an "Exclusive" figure from Target or any other retail or online outlet be it TRU or K-Mart or SW Shop knowing that all of these figures will come out later in some kinda greatist peg-warmers.

I hope that the big three retailers are looking at these results and also re-thinking their "Exclusive" arrangements with Hasbro.

I noticed over to the right of this page you can still order the Covert Ops purple trooper from Starwarsshop.com.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Exactly. I feel that all my effort, gasoline, hunting, putting up with crabby Target/ TRU employees/ stocker/ scalpers has somehow been trivialized by the results of these latest "Legends" winners.You certainly didn't have to put up with any of that for the Shadow Trooper and Covert Ops Trooper. I never saw the Utapau trooper in the store and eventually got it on eBay over a year later. I was lucky enough to find the Treachery on Saleucami pack. There are plenty who weren't able to find them, so having these available again isn't such a bad thing. I don't have a TRU near me anymore so I ordered the Snowspeeder with Zev online. I didn't mind buying it since I didn't have a Snowspeeder yet. Others passed because they didn't want to buy the ship again, so having him available is good for those people.

I'll think twice before I pay double for an "Exclusive" figure from Target or any other retail or online outlet be it TRU or K-Mart or SW Shop knowing that all of these figures will come out later in some kinda greatist peg-warmers.That's the thing though. You can never be sure what will be rereleased and what will not. Plus, I seem to recall there not being a lot of love for the Utapau and Covert Ops figures to begin with, so I'm thinking those that couldn't find them or didn't want to pay the money weren't missing much.

I noticed over to the right of this page you can still order the Covert Ops purple trooper from Starwarsshop.com.I followed the link but didn't see the figure available there.

Blue2th
09-30-2007, 11:41 PM
Well, no matter what your rationalization or circumstances, I know I paid double what you will pay whether it's from Target or SWshop etc. when the Legends come out again if you are so inclined to buy them.

I'll think twice before I do it again
Guess I'll learn to be patient, whatever, lesson learned.

El Chuxter
03-10-2008, 01:04 PM
By the way....

90% of the Legends that were on the shelves in my local stores when the last post was made in this thread, almost six months ago, are still there.

Oh, and if anyone cares, I can still score Labria and a few other of the 2006 WM exclusive wave pretty easily. Aurra Sing and the astromechs have been long, long gone, though.

jedi master sal
03-10-2008, 02:11 PM
...Aurra Sing and the astromechs...

Sounds like a good band name.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-10-2008, 05:14 PM
None of the Legends are pegwarming in my area aside from the Imperial Officer, really (along with the main-line Death Star Trooper). But I will be glad when I no longer have to check every Pit Droid or Sandtrooper for minute differences to see whether or not I already have it . . .

Jedi_Kal-El
03-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Depends on which store I walk into. Some have a bunch, some don't. Most of the same stuff though. Scout Troopers, Clonetroopers, and Imperial Officers for the most part. Some of the newer Pit Droids and the SA 501 Trooper are starting to show up, but none of the Shadow Stormtroopers or the others yet.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah, most of the Legends I'm seeing hanging around are Imperial Officers, Sandtroopers, and I think one Fred Meyer might still have a bunch of Vaders.

Old Fossil
03-10-2008, 07:32 PM
In addition to 8 Shocktroopers, 2 Sandtroopers, 5 Biker Scouts, and 6 (I think) C-3PO with Battle Droid head, I can also score a Labria, a pregnant Padme, and General Rieekan at my local Wal-Mart, if I so wish.:tired:

Deoxyribonucleic
03-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Yeah, most of the Legends I'm seeing hanging around are Imperial Officers, Sandtroopers, and I think one Fred Meyer might still have a bunch of Vaders.

Ah, Fred Meyer, I miss that place!

Most of SL that are hanging here are imp officers and death star troopers, you can tell they are original too because the cards are all banged up. Other than that, the new ones with the rex sticker have been coming in. Christmas time really got rid of lots of the pegwarmers around here.

Kidhuman
03-10-2008, 08:16 PM
DS Trooper is not a SL, it was regular line TAC, wave 2

Deoxyribonucleic
03-10-2008, 08:25 PM
DS Trooper is not a SL, it was regular line TAC, wave 2

oh yeah, that's right. It's just so much all over the place like SL, that it may well have been SL ;)

jjreason
03-10-2008, 08:55 PM
They've moved remarkably well here. TRU right now is suffering from their usual "we ordered TOO many of one case again" blues - lots of RA7, Green AOTC Clone Officers and TC14s hanging there right now.