PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Figures - Lightsabers

MisterE
09-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know why the lightsabers on the original star wars figures had a tapered end?

LusiferSam
09-07-2007, 01:48 PM
I won't say any style of vintage lightsaber are "tapered." The telescope style is the closet to tapering. The brake (the place where the main body meets the tip) is a bit rounded and then forms the tip. The end of the tip is also rounded. My understanding of the double telescoping style is the brake in more squared off. I don't know a thing about the tips of the DT sabers. The sword style sabers don't taper at all. They have a rounded tip. Now the pop-up saber is a bit funny. It gets fatter towards the end and has a bulb tip.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2007, 10:44 AM
I've always thought it was to keep the saber from "getting stuck" in the figure's arm slot. If the L pull tab ever broke, a kid could still pull it out by that thin end. And if both the tab and end were gone, well, you might need a good blaster by your side, kid. :slygrin:

BTW, all my friends and I always cut off the tips 'cause we thought they didn't look "real" enough. So I have had to seek out figures with the complete saber in the secondary markets.

stillakid
09-08-2007, 10:58 AM
the place where the main body meets the tip is a bit rounded and then forms the tip. The end of the tip is also rounded. They have a rounded tip. It gets fatter towards the end and has a bulb tip.

Are we talking about lightsabers here? :sur:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2007, 12:00 PM
I actually had a second thought on this (no jokes about thinking, people :D ). I wonder if it was supposed to seem like the lightsaber was igniting as it was moving through the arm (thin blade to full one). Maybe.