PDA

View Full Version : Cool! Some 4" figures have metal lightsabers

JediTricks
02-09-2002, 12:58 AM
I've been wanting to tell everybody about this one for a few weeks since I learned about it, but wasn't sure if I was allowed, but I saw Steve's post about it (I had been bugging him to do something about this for a while) and wanted to make sure you guys noticed it:

http://209.197.117.27/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=28&show_article=46

A few figures have actual metal lightsaber hilts with painted highlights and receive the clear plastic lightsaber blades. Considering these are the first metal SW figure accessories, they're pretty cool. Metal doesn't need to be painted silver, so they look much more realistic, and they're not plastic so they don't warp! I may not be a fan of everything Hasbro's doing in the AOTC line, but I really like this idea. Nicely-sculpted, painted metal accessories are neat IMHO and I wouldn't mind seeing this on non-magnetic figures too.

2-1B
02-09-2002, 01:03 AM
That is pretty neat! I'm :rolleyes: at myself for never making this deduction when I first read about the magnetic "force" features.

Will the blades be removable?

GNT
02-09-2002, 01:05 AM
Well there would be no other way for the figgures to force grab them otherwise :) Neat but not really worth it.

Battle Droid
02-09-2002, 01:05 AM
Metal Blasters & Pistols would be a nice touch as well.

LTBasker
02-09-2002, 01:18 AM
I hope they don't luanch the stuff into full productionf or the accessories. 1. They started using soft plastic to stay with the hazard thing, but what good would that do by going to metal? and 2. They'd be alot less customizable.

It's understandable to do it for those old gimmicks they're putting into the figures, I just hope they don't make the gimmicks common. Regular Star Wars figures are much better, I mean if they're gonna make them pre-posed and almost non-moveable so they're practically display pieces, what's the point of the gimmicks if you can only play with that and not the entire figure?

Paul-Kenobi
02-09-2002, 01:44 AM
Are you Kidding me there doing it now hek you can't pose the Power of the Jedi Figs.

To me the Star Wars Episode I line was the Best line in the Star Wars history, EVER you could pose there arms,leg,wast,head. And there where very very very good looking.

The Power Of The Jedi Line only dose 20% of what the Episode I figures did.

Beast
02-09-2002, 01:50 AM
Cool info on the sabers and other metal accessories. Somthing different for the Star Wars line. Of course we knew that for sometime, but it's still nice to know.

The first waves of E1 figures were extremly possible, but then the extra possibilty was sat asside for better sculpting and paint application. The POTJ and so far the E2 stuff has been great in both the sculpting and painted areas.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Obi-Don
02-09-2002, 02:26 AM
Thats really cool. I just started making some of my lightsabers from metal useing my drummel tool.

General Veers
02-09-2002, 07:42 AM
Metal Lightsabers? That's something new, what made hasbro change it from plastic to metal?:confused:

Darth Evil
02-09-2002, 07:50 AM
Good idea, metal lightsabers will feel more authentic and real. I hope it works.

JediTricks
02-09-2002, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by General Veers
Metal Lightsabers? That's something new, what made hasbro change it from plastic to metal?:confused: Magnetic gimmicks that emulate powers of the Force. (an idea I put up years ago on the old old SSG forums that I never thought they'd do... this ugly ;))

Lord Tenebrous
02-09-2002, 09:54 AM
A big problem is the fact that the paint on the lightsaber handles rubs off and dirties the hands of the figures. Hopefully this will help the 'sabers stay more authentic, rather than regressing into a single-colored piece of plastic.

But this shouldn't change price any. I mean, the Ep1 Destroyer Droid had a metal screw in him, so if Hasbro uses that as an excuse, then they're seriously streching to keep credibility.

InsaneJediGirl
02-09-2002, 09:54 AM
Metal is cool,makes the sabers look real.But I am shocked that
Hasbro did this,with all the safety concerns and such.

Unit-01
02-09-2002, 07:43 PM
Too bad the didn't do it with the non-magnetic figs.

JediTricks
02-09-2002, 08:08 PM
These won't raise the prices, I've been told. $5.99 will be the MSRP according to Hasbro's Press Release.

I too hate having the silver paint on the plastic hilts come off on the figure's hand, this will definitely not happen here!

Unit-01, I hope that this works out and they DO include them with other figures, like Luke Jedi!!! OOOOH! I want that bad now! :D

GNT
02-09-2002, 10:11 PM
The only bad thing about metal handles (besides the paint running off) would be if the figure holds the weapon and its too heavy for them and they fall over because of it :(