PDA

View Full Version : I got my Holochess Board.....

Bosskman
09-08-2007, 07:05 AM
... and man is it ever freakin' sweet. Those little holochess pieces are damn cool.

stillakid
09-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Does it have to be dark in the room for the holo pieces to show up when you play?

AmanaMatt
09-08-2007, 09:47 PM
I am just curious, but for those that ordered this, are you gonna pose it with a Hasbro Chewie? They did one decent one - the Kb version was decent....

I passed on this cause for the life of me, I could not figure out what to possibly display it with!

stillakid
09-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I passed on this cause for the life of me, I could not figure out what to possibly display it with!

The receipt. :D

JediTricks
09-10-2007, 06:16 PM
I'd put it with Han Bespin for now, maybe Hasbro's R2-D2 (the WM tools version). So, is it satisfyingly sized? I saw it at the cons and wasn't really sure about that aspect.

Bosskman
09-10-2007, 08:47 PM
I just have it with the rst of my Sideshow figures. I'm sure they'll make some to go with it eventually. I like the KB Chewie but I don't mix the Hasbros with the Sideshows.

AmanaMatt
09-10-2007, 09:55 PM
I'd put it with Han Bespin for now, maybe Hasbro's R2-D2 (the WM tools version). So, is it satisfyingly sized? I saw it at the cons and wasn't really sure about that aspect.

Was this thing at CIV? If so, I totally put it out of my mind! Someday (in the year 2014ish or so) when SS finally does make a Chewie, I will totally regret having passed on this one! :D

JediTricks
09-11-2007, 06:03 PM
I remember it being at CIV in the display at their farthest upper left, across from the bronze Vader. But that was the Mechano-Chair, the holochess set was in the other 12" display in the lower left.

Yup, here it is: http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=22612&cat=5323
With the Jabba's Palace setup, "of course?": http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=22616&cat=5323

2-1B
09-11-2007, 08:35 PM
JT don't you remember the scene where Dengar plays Bossk in holochess for the right to die in the last available spot on Jabba's Sailbarge ?

jedibear
09-12-2007, 11:25 AM
You're correct JT, it was at ClV...

As for what to display it with...someone over at SSF came up with a good suggestion...display it with Old Ben and the training remote when he arrives...

Mine will be here monday....

JediTricks
09-12-2007, 05:30 PM
You're correct JT, it was at ClV...

As for what to display it with...someone over at SSF came up with a good suggestion...display it with Old Ben and the training remote when he arrives...

Mine will be here monday....
That's not a bad idea, probably what they had in mind even.

Dengar and Bossk are both on the barge, so it must have been a draw.

jedi master sal
09-13-2007, 06:55 PM
I'll be getting mine next week. I look forward to it.

I'll prolly display mine with Hasbro stuff later on down the line. But for now I'm going to display it by itself. It's a nice enough conversation piece in it's own right.

jedibear
09-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Mine showed up today...looks cool. I'll just offer a few "heads-up" items:

the table is heavier than expected
the chess pieces are VERY fragile (and small)
be EXTREMELY careful when removing twist ties

It's well-detailed and interesting to look at....
Here's a few shots...

stillakid
09-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Mine showed up today...looks cool. I'll just offer a few "heads-up" items:
the table is heavier than expected
the chess pieces are VERY fragile (and small)
be EXTREMELY careful when removing twist ties

And Never EVER feed them after midnight.

JediTricks
09-18-2007, 06:11 AM
Cool shots. Sucks though that you had breakage, gonna have Sideshow fix that situation?

Deoxyribonucleic
12-04-2007, 09:29 PM
I saw Turbowars' set in person a couple of weeks ago and I was sold on it from that moment. What is even better...it's on the list of items you can purchase with your gift cards Sideshow passed out this year at various conventions. I used a twenty-five dollar card on this one and with tax and shipping, it came to $32 and some change. Not bad, not bad at all. I actually got it today and to me, it's one of their better items.

JediTricks
12-05-2007, 12:42 AM
I still have my SDCC $100 card which expires at the end of the year, and truthfully, I had no idea what to do with it. I guess it may as well be this one. But so help me Deoxy, if you steer me wrong...! ;)

Deoxyribonucleic
12-05-2007, 01:40 AM
I still have my SDCC $100 card which expires at the end of the year, and truthfully, I had no idea what to do with it. I guess it may as well be this one. But so help me Deoxy, if you steer me wrong...! ;)

What else were you going to do with it?? I mean really, how can you go wrong? Unless of course you want to use towards the life-size Greedo bust that 'flew' outta SS's inventory ;)

Honestly, I am 99.33333% positive that you will like this set :yes:

JediTricks
12-05-2007, 02:39 AM
Honestly, I was kinda waiting to see if they'd add anything else to the buy list. :p

pkalan70
12-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Why is no one complaining about the exclusive pieces??? You ask anyone what they remember about this scene, and its the part where the one monster picks the other monster up. AND THAT IS THE EXCLUSIVE??? Sideshow is completely ridiculous about their exclusive/inclusive pieces. Yes I bought it, and yes its awesome, but how could a Star Wars fan buy this, and NOT get those 2 extra pieces?? To me, I would not pay a dollar for it if it did not come with that feature. How do we as fans support this?? I'm glad I got it, but what about all the others who did not?? Oh, well too bad for them?? Is that being a true fan?? Once again, is it just me??

Deoxyribonucleic
12-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Why is no one complaining about the exclusive pieces??? You ask anyone what they remember about this scene, and its the part where the one monster picks the other monster up. AND THAT IS THE EXCLUSIVE??? Sideshow is completely ridiculous about their exclusive/inclusive pieces. Yes I bought it, and yes its awesome, but how could a Star Wars fan buy this, and NOT get those 2 extra pieces?? To me, I would not pay a dollar for it if it did not come with that feature. How do we as fans support this?? I'm glad I got it, but what about all the others who did not?? Oh, well too bad for them?? Is that being a true fan?? Once again, is it just me??

Sadly enough, I did NOT get those two pieces, and I agree with you...that they did those pieces as an 'exclusive' is ridiculous. The normal stance pieces should have been the 'exclusive' if they really felt the need to have one as it is. But I'm still happy for my chess set, it is the first attempt to even make a good rendition of it. Now for a life-sized one :thumbsup: with real holograms!

JediTricks
12-08-2007, 01:01 AM
You have a point, those are key shots, but they're action scenes so they're not great for "static" display, and I think that's where they were coming from. Honestly, them going with polystone over translucent plastic held me back from getting the set earlier, but you have a good point, Sideshow made a really stupid choice with that exclusive.

decadentdave
12-08-2007, 01:19 AM
I would have preferred translucent figures since they are holographic representations. The little painted metal figures look like pewter painted miniatures for role playing games, not a Holochess board. Instead of making an exclusive edition this should have been an INCLUSIVE edition where the edition size is determined by US not them. So far there have only been 2 Inclusives: Maul and Jabba. I think they really shot themselves in the foot with this one by not having the figures to display with it available and now it's already on Second Chance and some e-tailers already have this on clearance mark-downs for under $30.

JediTricks
12-08-2007, 02:06 AM
They tried to do them translucent, but I don't remember their excuse for why it didn't pan out.

I don't think there would have been enough interest in this to warrant an inclusive, but Jabba's the same thing with his stupid cup. Keep in mind that they do consider collectibility down the road to be important.

decadentdave
12-08-2007, 03:06 AM
The thing is, the Inclusive edition size would probably have been much lower than what they set their edition size at judging from the availablity so the long-term collectibility would be there.

Bosskman
12-08-2007, 07:54 AM
I have the non-exclusive and it's fine with me. Those 2 pieces are there, just not one picking up the other.

JediTricks
12-16-2007, 05:13 PM
I did it, I used $50 from my giftcard to order it right now. $11.28 shipping & tax is what I'm paying.

JediTricks
12-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Well it arrived, very heavy box. I like that they did a window on the top to see all the characters, but it annoyed me that they didn't even do a separate tray for the non-exclusive version of the set, so there's always going to be 2 empty slots, that sucks.

The look of the packaging feels forced, like the new packaging design Lucasfilm has required doesn't really fit this thing at all and they had to cram a few photos onto 3 of the panels and then get all the cool info stuck on the back panel all smashed together and tiny.

The tray also annoys me because they twistie-tied all the figures in place, which I don't want to do every time I take it out, so I'm pretty much guaranteed to have some breakage at some point on some of these guys, they're just too small not to (even if they were cast out of titanium they'd break easily this way).

The table itself is mighty, I am not exactly sure I agree with them on the choice of polystone, it's heavy as hell and seems unnecessary for something that doesn't require all that much detail. But it is well-detailed and tight, with polystone you do get those tight, perfect lines (usually, I noticed a tiny bit of blobbing in a few small details) and the paint seems to stick pretty well to it. The table by itself seems a little plain, but when the figures get on it, it's a "you are there" moment.

Ultimately, it's a very nice piece and my only complaints are packaging-related. If I only had a place to put it. :p

jedibear
12-23-2007, 09:03 PM
I was pretty stunned about those twist-ties too...the pieces are so fragile, I was hoping a more "collector friendly" style of tray would've been done to handle storage of those pieces better. Well, mine's on display right now, so I'll cross that "storage" bridge when i come to it...

JediTricks
12-24-2007, 06:03 AM
Dusting those little figures has to be a real misery for whatever poor soul ends up with that task at your house. But yeah, that's a better route to go with than leaving it, when possible.