PDA

View Full Version : What major thresholds have you crossed since joining SSG?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2007, 11:33 AM
I came to the realization that it's been over 8 years since I clicked on a search engine hit for "Star Wars collectibles" and signed up under a fake name. A lot's changed since I was a four-year old toddler then; well, maybe I was a tad older than that. :rolleyes: What have you done in your life that's been significant, after your official joining here? I'll just let this get up to 1138 page worth of posts before I chime in. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-08-2007, 11:47 AM
OOOOoooooooooooo, I like the idea behind this thread, BCJ!

I remember joining primarily to chat about the AOTC figures that were released that month. At the time, I had just quit the technical school I was attending that February as I wasn't getting my money's worth. At that point, I was accepted to Ohio University that was starting that September. So, I initially had about a seven month period of downtime for working, partying, geekery and whatnot. So, I attended OU from 2002-2005, where I graduated and I am now attending University of Toledo for my Master's Degree where i'm currently taking three courses and teaching two. So, yeah, I got my undergrad, in the middle of getting my Master's. I've attended many concerts, did some traveling, had about 1-2 failed relationships, watched a few hundred movies, thousands of great hours with friends and family (a good share while intoxicated hehehe) and blown thousands of dollars on figures. :thumbsup: .....all while my Cubs haven't won a World series. :p

jjreason
09-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Since joining (in April 2002 according to my profile - holy carp!!!!), I've watched AOTC and ROTS, had a second child (please note - these accomlishments are NOT in any order of significance, just worthy of me noting here), moved my whole family twice.... and purchased hundreds of pounds of plastic.

LTBasker
09-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Joined: 8-16-2001 (actually before that, I joined just before they ditched the old forum)

Reason: The lively micromachine board looked very promising to complete my Trek MicroMachine collection, ended up having fun hanging out there and then wandered into the rest of the forum. Been haunting ever since.

Thresholds: Erm... well, saw the last of Star Wars in theaters, had my appendix removed, I've gone through basically my entire teenage life here from beginning to end 13/14-20 (now), turning 21 this December, I'm hoping to have my GED in a couple months (was homeschooled), met a great friend that really helped me with some holes in my collection and unfortunately lost him (VT). I'm sure theres a little more but it's the only stuff that comes to mind right now.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Time to join this party! I joined in May 1999, but I also have an August 2001 date due to the change-over that the Forums had then.

Thresholds:
Got my B.S. degree in Social Science and my teaching credential (English, Social Science, Business Adminstration) after student teaching for a semester, then getting a full time position the following school year (where I've been the last 5 years).

Had the worst year of my life in '05 (despite seeing the close of the SW saga; that was one shining moment back then). I choose not to go into details, but it includes the terms telephone calls, accidents, meetings and letters, surgeries, kittens. (I use humor to cope now, but it's a serious deal)

Joined a local acting group, with a small role in Our Town and a part of its improv group.

Was chosen 12 times on sw.com's "Communication Disruption." ;) :ego beheld:

And every day I accumulate adds to my career-high record!

Mad Slanted Powers
09-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Joined here in May 2002. Bought a house and moved out of my parents' house in November 2003.

Since it seems like I have been here a long time, it is sometimes interesting to note things that happened before I joined, or how other events in my life relate to Star Wars. 9/11 doesn't seem that long ago, but it was before I joined here. I started working at my current place of employment in October 1998. That was before Episode I and before I started collecting.

stillakid
09-09-2007, 01:17 AM
I took a bath.

bigbarada
09-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Let's see, I joined the these particular forums in August 2001 the day they went online, but had been a member of the old forums for a few months before that. I can only estimate between March and July of 2001 being when I first joined the SSG forums. Although, I discovered the site waaaay back in April of 1999, when I was looking for photos of the upcoming Ep1 figures (this was also when I thought the Steve in "SirSteve" referred to Steve Sansweet :o ).

Soooo...

I got out of the Army after almost 11 years in March of 2002 and shortly after that I became a Christian.

Used my GI Bill to enroll into college in July 2002, declared bankruptcy in August 2002.

Sometime in late 2002, I took notice of a UFC fighter named Matt Hughes and slowly began following the UFC (this will become significant later).

I graduated from college in May 2005 with my Associates in Art & Graphic Design (I actually completed the degree in May 2004, but was forced to repeat a one-credit class in Fall 04 and then had to wait until May 05 for the actual graduation ceremony).

In September of 2005 I made contact with the guy who runs the online store that sells Matt Hughes apparel and I began sending in some Matt Hughes-themed artwork, highlight reels and wallpaper designs, because by this point, I was a die hard Matt Hughes and UFC fan.

December 24th, 2005, I'm notified that they are looking for someone to take over Matt Hughes' official website and I'm their first choice for a replacement. So I begin work on that and publish the new site on January 14th, 2006.

Everything was done over the internet and by phone, so I don't meet Matt Hughes face-to-face for the first time until February 20th, 2006 at a church mission trip to an orphanage in Mexico.

September 14th, 2006, I relocate to Hillsboro, IL from Alamogordo, NM and have been working for Matt Hughes and his twin brother, Mark, ever since.

jjreason
09-09-2007, 02:18 AM
Got a new one: I cracked the "Highest Knowledge" list on the Facebook Application "Jedi vs. Sith". Yes, it took me a long time. ;)

EDITED: and as per Sal's comments below, I too have been in a long relationship - today (Sept. 9th) is m 12th wedding anniversary!!!

jedi master sal
09-09-2007, 03:59 AM
Cripes, I've actually forgotten how long I've been here on SSG. I know it was at least 2 forum revisions ago and before 2001. I've been a mod here since around 2001.

I've had a couple of different jobs, most notably the one I currently hold.
Relationship wise, I'm with the same lady I've been with since before I joined SSG and November will mark 10 years for us. No we still aren't married on paper, but everything else wise we are.

I've been a VP for a local SW fanclub then the PR guy for the same group.

I've done several charity events all having a SW theme to them in some form or another. (All for kids charities like Children's Hospital and Locks of Love.)

Bought and sold a truck and bought a new one.

Diagnosed with Asthma and Sleep Apnea-this one really sucks...

Spent more money on SW merch than I care to mention.

Made plenty of friends here and on other SW collecting related websites.

I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting, but it's almost 5 a.m. and I'm tired.

mtriv73
09-09-2007, 11:37 AM
I joined in February of '02.

I had been married for 5 months at that point and we had already bought our house, so I guess the high points are as follows...

Most importantly, my son was born in August of this year

Gotten 6 more papers published in Scientific Journals (8 total now; 2 more being written)

Spent 1000's of hours doing community service work with the Jaycees and became a local chapter president and a state vice president (twice now).

Sat on the committee that founded the Citizens Corp Chapter in my hometown.

Got qualified by the Red Cross to operate an Emergeny Evacuation shelter.

Was named one of the 10 Outstanding Young Americans (http://www.usjaycees.org/projects_toya.htm)for 2007 by the US Jaycees (I'm the last one on the list)

Presented posters of my research at 2 major meetings of scientists in my field and at 4 lesser meetings

Got a job doing what I love to do (AIDS research) and which I seem to be pretty good at.

Took a bath every day (except maybe 2 or 3)

TeeEye7
09-09-2007, 03:28 PM
I've been lurking on the boards for the better part of 10 years (since the old "black and purple" days, as I call them. "Kenner" was an operative name in the title of the site in those days ;)).

In that time have met some incredibly helpful and unselfish people on the boards (*tips hat to SirSteve, Jeditricks, Bel-Cam Jos, jjreason, mabudonicus, and Roo Jay*), who have helped me solve various problems; and lots of folks who just plain keep my spirits up (too many to mention here!).

I watched my son cross the stage at his high school graduation ceremony a few months back.

I've become an adjunct faculty member with our local community college which allows me to be an instructor in our law enforcement academy.

I have had a hand in helping put 30+ murderers away from society in that time (can't argue with forensics!).

Mrs. TI7 and I are closing in on our 25th wedding anniversary.

I survived the post-padding controversy of old and cancer.

I still relish being considered an "eternal padawan".

....and I actually came for the nachos.

stillakid
09-09-2007, 04:40 PM
I have had a hand in helping put 30+ murderers away from society in that time (can't argue with forensics!).

I was framed! :mad:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Not a whole lot, but let's see . . . joined in November 2001 as you can see, but I was a member of the old forums as well. Since then, some good stuff, some bad.

I started two separate movie/TV projects with two separate friends, only to have them fall apart for various reasons and never come to fruition.

I made a short film and then a special edition of it from 2005-2007 (link in my sig line), along with a few shorter projects of the like for school.

The two events above made me want to go into the film industry for my career.

I guess I was in 6th grade at the time I joined this incarnation of the forums; I'm now in 12th.

I joined the school newspaper and am now its editor.

My whole family and I had a really terrible few months after my aunt was diagnosed with and died of cancer in late 2003.

I've had only two girlfriends and should've had a third if not for some events that transpired in the past few days. :frus:

My 15-year-old dog was put to sleep in March.

I joined the vynsane asylum around a year ago, which should be an accomplishment in and of itself. ;)

I learned to play the piano from 2003-2006 and I am currently playing drums and teaching myself some guitar. I've also gotten way more interested in music than I was back then.

I've more than doubled my amount of Star Wars stuff.

Appearance-wise, I think I had a growth spurt right before joining and was around 6'2" in 2002 and am now 6'4" or so; I got my braces off after nearly five years in 2005; and now I have long hair.

And, uh, I have more body hair than I did back then. :D

InsaneJediGirl
09-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Lets see, I had to look up to see I registered in Jan 2002, Although I remember coming to SSG when the chat room was up and when Uncie Owen was a "guest" :)

In Feb. 2002 my Granny died...Chatted with some great people here on SSG and gained two older "brothers" :). In Dec 2004, I moved from my childhood home with my family to the biggest hillbilly state ever named. August of 2005 I got my GED(I was homeschooled like LT) and started Community College in October 2006(4.0!). As for this year, I would say without exageration its been the worst of my life for many various reasons(I hope to look back and either laugh or cry someday LOL ).

On brighter notes, my collection has grown quite a bit, I saw the rest of the prequels and LOTR Saga in theaters. Grown up some, but I'm still about as immature as it gets. Oh, I also drank legally for the first time, but who cares about the law(enter Judas Priest riff). I'm also learning to play guitar, so far I've only got "Smoke on the Water" down, but I'll get there.

Lord Malakite
09-10-2007, 04:19 AM
OOOOoooooooooooo, I like the idea behind this thread, BCJ!

I remember joining primarily to chat about the AOTC figures that were released that month. At the time, I had just quit the technical school I was attending that February as I wasn't getting my money's worth. At that point, I was accepted to Ohio University that was starting that September. So, I initially had about a seven month period of downtime for working, partying, geekery and whatnot. So, I attended OU from 2002-2005, where I graduated and I am now attending University of Toledo for my Master's Degree where i'm currently taking three courses and teaching two. So, yeah, I got my undergrad, in the middle of getting my Master's. I've attended many concerts, did some traveling, had about 1-2 failed relationships, watched a few hundred movies, thousands of great hours with friends and family (a good share while intoxicated hehehe) and blown thousands of dollars on figures. :thumbsup: .....all while my Cubs haven't won a World series. :p

You forgot the best part to that story, meeting God (aka Lord Malakite). :lipsrsealed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-10-2007, 07:14 AM
You forgot the best part to that story, meeting God (aka Lord Malakite). :lipsrsealed:

lol I was thinking about including something like that minus the "God" term. My original idea was, "having two classes with Lord Malakite and got to hear him do voice impersonations for his poetry." :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
09-10-2007, 07:49 AM

Since then I've gotten engaged, gotten married, graduated college, started college again and had twins. Life's pretty sweet.

Jargo
09-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Probably joined SSG in late 1999. December maybe.

I've managed to stay with the same dude for 11 years.
Helped train three guide dogs for the blind.
Fired my entire blood relation family.
Grown a lovely garden.
Made a comfortable home.
saved three people from suicide attempts.
became teatotal
discovered my achilles heel.
learned to live with my failings.

wouldn't have it any other way.

General_Grievous
09-10-2007, 07:19 PM
I joined in January 2005, mainly brought upon by Revenge of the Sith hype.

I was a sophomore in high school then. I'm now a freshman in college. Life is a hell of a lot easier for me now. Since I joined, I had my first job (in early 2006 as a cashier at EB Games), bought an Xbox 360, had a girlfriend, inherited a car, took my SATs, got into college, and got my high school diploma. Not too shabby.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Forgot to mention that I passed a zero-in-the-ones-digit age threshold (check out my profile to see if you can guess at which one it is :D ) a few years back.

Decided that collecting SW did not require completeness, only interest and happiness.

Visited a doctor for the first time ever, who wasn't a dentist or on the day I popped out and into the world. Nothing serious, just felt it was necessary. :oldandweak: :rolleyes:

Have still held out against owning a cell phone or portable MP3/downloadable music player device.

Came to the realization that I'll probably remain single and not a father, uncle, or grandfather. (this might sound bad, but it's okay)

Voted in two presidential elections, and many other elections (there are more than just ones every four years, citizens).

In person, saw the Pittsburgh Pirates win a (actually saw three) regular season baseball game in which they won. Seriously. :Pirate:

Mad Slanted Powers
09-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Visited a doctor for the first time ever, who wasn't a dentist or on the day I popped out and into the world. Nothing serious, just felt it was necessary. :oldandweak: :rolleyes:I went to a doctor last year for the first time since a sports physical in 1992 I think. Same reason, just felt I was due for a checkup to make sure I wasn't dying or anything.

Have still held out against owning a cell phone or portable MP3/downloadable music player device.Ditto that here. Speaking of Dittos, Rush Limbaugh gave away ten iPhones, as well as the cost of the two year contract. Alas, I did not win, so I remain without such a device.

Came to the realization that I'll probably remain single and not a father, uncle, or grandfather. (this might sound bad, but it's okay)I've been an uncle since age 10, and became a great-uncle nearly three years ago. However, I too have come to a similar realization about singledom and parenthood (actually the parenthood part I realized long ago).

pbarnard
09-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Raised my GPA to get into grad school, again. Got some grants now too. Met my future wife. Got married. Moved 2 times. Had my 10th major surgery, first one above the knees. Been to two national parks. Re-established my relationship with my brother after 5 years of not speaking (although his divorce helped in that regard). Built my first set of book cases. Completed close to 100 custom figures. Stopped Collecting GI Joes. Sold off some of my Star Wars stuff to stream line it. Blogging.

Rebo's_Guitarist
09-11-2007, 08:19 AM
How long has SSG been around? I think I remember a lot of reading back in the POTF2 days, so I would have been around 12. I quit SW around mid POTJ up until about OTC. The new movies didnt really do it for me, but when I saw that VOTC Leia at Target I was hooked again and actually joined SSG.

At that time I had graduated high school, moved to Duluth with no job and started school. I had hopes and dreams of working in automotive repair and owning my own shop. After living here about 2 months my girlfriend of only 5 months total moved in with me. Neither of us worked that whole year:)

I graduated top in my class but I never followed through and ended up making pizzas for Papa Murphys. I thought this would be temporary.

Since then, I have attended TWO Star Wars Celebrations, completed a loose vintage collection, worked my way up to a regional manager, I am a proud JEEP owner, and I am engaged to the girlfriend who moved in after dating only 5 months. I have seen a personal hero perform live, one Roger Waters. I am looking to open my own Papas, and I have my first art opening 3 weeks from today.

Its been good. Tough, but good.

JimJamBonds
09-11-2007, 09:36 PM
I went on and survived a Jack Daniel's bus trip that featured 14 hours of drinking Jack products.

darthvyn
09-12-2007, 01:52 PM
um...

my profile says "februrary 2002" but that's not true... THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

well, i joined the old boards as "darth mall" but never posted. i then subsequently forgot my password (i was new to the interwebs then, and actually a bit of a technophobe) found this place again, and signed up as the darthvyn you all know and ignore.

let's see... since that time i've...

drank a lot of guinness.
held a bunch of crappy jobs.
gained some weight.
got back together with an ex.
broke up with said ex.
lost some weight.
fallen in "like" with a boss who subsequently moved to san francisco.
went back to an old crappy job.
fallen in love.
moved to raliegh.
gotten engaged.
clawed my way out of the seventh level of retail hell.
got a good job.
gained some weight.
gotten married.
gained some weight.
moved to upstate ny.
gotten two even better jobs.
moved to brooklyn.
become a father.
become fatter.
quit one job and became full-time at the other.
moved to upstate ny. again.

all that time i've started various web projects where i taught myself html, css, php/mysql, rss. i bought a LOT of comics and a fair amount of toys (which are less and less related to star wars with each passing moment... last SW figure i got was the mcquarrie boba fett. before that, possibly the SW clone wars animated figures!) and made a lot of good friends that i otherwise would never have met, if it weren't for a place called ssg.

next step: new house! (GAH!)

bobafrett
09-12-2007, 03:35 PM
It says I joined SSG in December of 2002, when was Celebration II?

I ask that because I became a member of the 501st legion of Stormtroopers right before CII, and in fact CII was my second public appearance in my Stormtrooper armor. I belive CII was in April of 2002, just before Episode II, because I remember going to a bookstore and glancing through a picture book on Episode II seeing a photo of Anakin laying out with his arm sliced off. I closed the books not wanting to spoil any more of the movie for myself.

Since then though I have:

Driven from Illinois to Orlando Florida, and back 5 times to either pick up, or drop off my son.

Had my son come live with me. (he wanted to, and I wanted him too as well)

Was dumped by a girlfriend of three years.

Was re hired by Wal-Mart (is that a good thing?)

Met a girl online (this Saturday will be our one year anniversary)

Lost my mom to cancer

Lost both my grandparents on my dad's side of the family

Did three "Relay for Life" events (Thank you guys and gals here who donated)

Got engaged

Got Sole custody of my son (just a few weeks ago)

Went from working 72 + hours a week, to just 64+ hours a week

Partied with several Star Wars celebs (usual autograph circuit folks, but good people non the less)

Did lots of cool stuff as a Star Wars bad guy costumed character

Survived 53 hours of drivers training with my son.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-16-2007, 11:04 AM
What a great thread. It's interesting to read the individual milestones that have gone on over the course over the better part of a decade.

I myself joined in May of 2000. I still remember the first post/thread I started titled "Rite Aid Treasure Chests" on the Micro Machines Forum on the old forums. It got 2 replies.

I was a sophmore in college when I joined. Some of the milestones, in order, that I can list:

a) 9/11/01 - I remember after finding out about the horrific news, I was at school, and went on this site to post my thoughts and feelings.

b) 5/02- Graduated with a B.A. in education

c) 7/03 Signed up for Piano Lessons - Took two years worth, before I had to stop (due to my full time job/post bachelor's career).

d) 10/03- Laser Eye Surgery to remedy my "legal" blindness.

e) 5/05 - Visiting some of you cool mo-fos at Celebration III in Indianaopolis.

f) 8/05 - After three years of itinerant teaching, I got hired full time.

g) Summer of 2007 - I fell in love.

Some upcoming highlights include Master's completion, tenure (hopefully :D), and who knows what else in the coming year.

Also, I have lost three grandparents, an uncle, and two cherished pets during that time. :cry:

TeeEye7
04-09-2008, 03:13 AM
Mrs. TI7 and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary today! :thumbsup:

Good thing we got married at 6 years old!

jedi master sal
04-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Mrs. TI7 and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary today! :thumbsup:

Good thing we got married at 6 years old!

Conga-rats!

sith_killer_99
04-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Mrs. TI7 and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary today!

Congrats!!! Ahhhh young love.:love:

As for me, joined the old forums back in July(?) 1999! I stumbled upon this funny little site while searching for Star Wars stuff online.

Anyway, since then I...

1. Got married
2. Had a daughter
3. Traveled (Japan, Korea, Las Vegas...and more)
4. Moved (Hawaii, Kentucky, Texas)
5. Drove across the United States
6. Deployed to Afghanistan
7. Become a Platoon Sergeant
8. Attended Star Wars Celebration III :D

Deoxyribonucleic
04-09-2008, 03:16 PM
I remember going to SSG and seeing the very first pics of POTF2 greedo, death star gunner, etc. and wondering if this was Steve Sansweet because I think somewhere on the page it was mentioned as "could it be"?? Anyway, I didn't post though as I really didn't know about forums, I did alot of trading via usenet groups. I miss those days, those were fun times.

Joined officially Dec. 2001 but I couldn't tell you what made me do that all of a sudden?? I can't tell you all enough HOW glad I am I came here. Whether many of you know it or not, there have been moments in my life where this place and its members have been a real savior to my morale! On top of that, I consider many of you family. I can't count the times I read through threads and literally laughed to tears at some of the things you all come up with. So many of you have a great sense of humor and are witty beyond imagination and it makes for such a wonderful place to hang out :thumbsup:

Since joining SSG, I've graduated with a BS, went back to get my Masters, have gotten deep into editing and research, will be working on a grant this summer for the CDCR through my school and looking into doctoral programs, most likely UCI and the one year anniversary of my Mom passing away is coming up on April 20th, which coincidently (or not) is my birthday. My star wars collection has grown in leaps and bounds and I've returned my focus, as BigB knows, to updating and finishing off my vintage collection from my kidhood.

I am not married (thank the maker) and I don't have kids (thank the maker). I always said as a youngling, I would never do either of those things...kids are smarter than we give them credit for lol I absolutely enjoy my life and I hope one day someone will come to me and say "here is the power to live forever" and I will gladly accept it :thumbsup:

Qui-Long Gone
04-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Since joining my wife had our second child, a boy; we moved across the country and went back to school so I could get us into more school debt.....I mean finish my PhD; both of our great-grandmothers died; we own a home (just before the market tanked); and did a little traveling....this summer we'll take our first family vacation that doesn't involve visiting in-laws: Disneyland and the California beach!

Jargo
04-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Probably joined SSG in late 1999. December maybe.

I've managed to stay living with the same dude for 12 years. Anniversary in June. (for gay guys 12 years is a lifetime. it's like 60 years of hetero marriage)
Fired my entire blood relation family. Realising one doesn't need blood relatives after all and without them life is sweet.
Saved three people from suicide attempts. Decided not to get involved again.
Became teatotal for a time. Now realise i have control and can drink if I want to. stop when I want to. or not drink at all.

Become adept at subcutaneous injection of medicinal solutions. And overcome my inate fear/phobia of sharp pointy things near myself.
Made progress combating my dyscalculia. I can now count credit cards.
Faced and dealt with the death of a beloved pet for the first time.
Discovered that after all I'm not talented as a writer. Will never be published and should keep doing it for my own amusement only.
Hit 40 and didn't turn into a bald fat guy with halitosis and heart disease. Realised I'm actually in pretty good shape compared to most people my age. Life doesn't begin again and instead just continues on the same and other people get really annoying in their insistance that being 40 means old and past it.
Bought my first bong.
Learned to walk without hunching my shoulders. or rather, gained the confidence to walk without hunching my shoulders and staring at the floor. Still can't look people in the eye but looking at their ears is close enough for me.
Finally stopped trying to dance in nightclubs. Even spastics and thalidomides can dance better than me.
Found the grey hair. found another. started counting. gave up counting and accepted that hair ages too. and i look cool with greying sideburns.

jedi master sal
04-09-2008, 04:26 PM
great post Jargo

JimJamBonds
04-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Entered my 30's (last year)
Hit 200 lbs.

TeeEye7
04-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Conga-rats!

Congrats!!! Ahhhh young love.:love:

Thank you both, very much. It's been a breeze, because I've been blessed to be with such an awesome lady! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the next 25 (at least)! :yes:

Tycho
04-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Man, it's been maybe the longest ride for me (at this site) than nearly anyone.

In 1995 Al Gore invented the interenet ;) and then everything changed.

Actually, I was "online" even earlier than that, as when I was only 18, I already knew I wanted to be elected to do public service and I was already working for San Diego's Representative in the United States Congress. As soon as I got to college, I set out to do things that very few others would be permitted to do. I wanted to be extraordinary, for certain. I wanted people to know my name in Washington. I strongly believed in myself and that people with the ability and drive to go for what they wanted, could get all that they wanted for themselves.

I believed in a meritocracy and couldn't wait to establish my experience. I was in competition with everyone that I knew, even everyone that I had never even met, or never yet even heard of. I had to climb to the top, I decided. (I'm a major Alpha-Type personality. I can't help this. I realize many don't like this type of person. But A-types are born to be who they are, just like everyone else has something in them that helps determine who they are.)

Before the internet, the CRS (Congressional Research Service) was already online (and still is) and is the way our government shares semi-classified and unclassified information in its internal computer system. All Congressional staff were trained to use it. It's basically the government's version of Google. It's actually the linkage of computers into a system of joined servers, that Al Gore takes credit for researching, being one of many to propose, and fervently back, which is why people joke that he claims to have "invented the internet." He was one of many instrumental players that actually did make it happen. I was privy to some of that when I was working for the government and kept up to date on the efforts.

Meanwhile, I wanted to spend my entire life quietly accumulating power to create social justice (effectively do social work, like by ending homelessness, collectively getting everyone's help at eliminating poverty, illiteracy, social-lliteracy (which is something different) and otherwise gaining most people's trust to run their lives. I dreamt of becoming the American version of Fidel Castro or Hugo Chavez, maybe more like Joseph Stalin, without it being necessary to kill my fellow Americans.) Yes, since I was a kid I dreamt of even doing my military service and everything it took, to establish my merits for becoming the left-wing dictator I always dreamt I could be.

Honestly, I BELIEVE I could be better at running YOUR life than you are. :D

No, I'm not really trying to exaggerate or be funny. I'm not mean either. I find I am sentimental and strongly care about others and I want to help them. But I am also definitely an ego-maniac with a superiority complex stemming from some tested factors my parents had "experts" determine about me since I was very young, and some social isolation issues that leant to my being an objective, outside observer / analyst of many people from all walks to life. Translated, I had insights and abilities that set me aside from others and made me "different." I learned to hide a lot of that so I could socialize more normally without everyone thinking I was analyzing them and seeing the things they wanted to keep private about themselves, but I saw them. I saw through adults as well as my peers, other children, etc. By admitting this, I know it makes more people close themselves off to me, as they don't like to be analyzed.

You know all my "False-this-or that" theories? This is part of what I mean.

After years of hiding my thoughts and opinions, and also benefitting from "hiding behind a screen-name, and Tycho's 'false-persona," as well as masking who I was and what I really thought to climb the ladder in politics (I was elected to non-partisan office with a majority of my supporters NOT KNOWING if I was a Democrat or Republican - no joke) I grew so tired of not being able to say what I really felt, what insight I really attained.

That's why I started calling things like they are and I found an outlet for my opinions "on the web" under the guise of this "Tycho character" I invented.

"Tycho" came about largely because I was ashamed to be just starting college and attracted to Star Wars enough to want to be a huge participant here - on a site that worships toys for 4-year-olds - while trying to establish a professional life out in the real world. I thought that publically displaying I enjoyed a fantasy-life would be a bad idea and one that would lower people's respect and confidence in me, if they knew I played at being dictator with my little plastic "army men" at home. But I zealously wanted to set out to prop up the importance of the Expanded Universe with my novel and comics reviews, so I could strengthen this fiction-cult-following. Of course, even then I wanted to be an author of Star Wars fiction. I'd always wanted that since I was a kid, inventing my own elaborately complex stories I acted out with my KENNER action figures back in the vintage days.

I was always certain I could bring a New Order about in both the fictional and the real universe. The former was just really easier to handle since 102 action figures were easier to handle than 650 million real people.

I'll continue this later, because long posts discourage people from reading.

bobafrett
04-10-2008, 08:57 AM
I remember going to SSG and seeing the very first pics of POTF2 greedo, death star gunner, etc. and wondering if this was Steve Sansweet because I think somewhere on the page it was mentioned as "could it be"?? Anyway, I didn't post though as I really didn't know about forums, I did alot of trading via usenet groups. I miss those days, those were fun times.

I was much the same way. I thought this was a site by Steve Sansweet, wasn't even sure what the forums were, and since I hadn't signed on at the time, didn't really read anything but what was on the home page.

Joined officially Dec. 2001 but I couldn't tell you what made me do that all of a sudden?? I can't tell you all enough HOW glad I am I came here. Whether many of you know it or not, there have been moments in my life where this place and its members have been a real savior to my morale! On top of that, I consider many of you family. I can't count the times I read through threads and literally laughed to tears at some of the things you all come up with. So many of you have a great sense of humor and are witty beyond imagination and it makes for such a wonderful place to hang out :thumbsup:

Don't exactly remember my sign on date, but I have found a community much like the 501st legion, where we can discuss Star Wars, but also have a variety of other topics, I mean after all we aren't just droids programmed to just enjoy, or not enjoy Star Wars and the crazy little toys that keep being produced.

Since joining SSG, I've graduated with a BS, went back to get my Masters, have gotten deep into editing and research, will be working on a grant this summer for the CDCR through my school and looking into doctoral programs, most likely UCI and the one year anniversary of my Mom passing away is coming up on April 20th, which coincidently (or not) is my birthday. My star wars collection has grown in leaps and bounds and I've returned my focus, as BigB knows, to updating and finishing off my vintage collection from my kidhood.

My mom passed 4 days after my birthday in 2005. It hasn't gotten easier, well I guess a little easier to accept that she is gone, but I sure miss her whenever I hear a John Denver or a Willie Nelson, or a Linda Rondstat song, or pass by places where happy memories were made.

I am not married (thank the maker) and I don't have kids (thank the maker). I always said as a youngling, I would never do either of those things...kids are smarter than we give them credit for lol I absolutely enjoy my life and I hope one day someone will come to me and say "here is the power to live forever" and I will gladly accept it :thumbsup:

I am getting married, but the thing my fiance keeps telling me is that my Star wars collection will become our Star Wars collection, which has me reconsidering this whole marriage thing. I'm just go8ing to have to get myself a secret storage area, and slowly move my collection there until it is all safe, and hopefully she won't notice :love:

I have a son who I wouldn't trade for the world. Sometimes I want to kick him in the butt for his slacker attitude.

Droid
04-10-2008, 11:15 AM
My information says I joined in August of 2003, but that seems off to me.

I first came to this site when I saw pictures of the Jabba/Ronto/Dewback wave and I thought, "How is this guy getting these pictures?"

I remember lurking here for a long time before I joined.

Tycho
04-10-2008, 11:50 AM
My information says I joined in August of 2003, but that seems off to me.

Well, the site was "re-booted," as the technology and hosting improved, we went through the "Action-Online era," and that sort of thing.

Remember the "purple boards?" (Message boards that were all in black (background) and purple borders.)

So back to the topic, in 1995 I'd already had experience with the CRS System of the government's. Then dial-up internet became the rage to train people on at my university and get put into every dorm room.

If you could search any topic, why not search "Star Wars" as that was one of the things I enjoyed most passionately? (I was already involved in politics online BEFORE Star Wars - if that helps explain anything).

I found the JediNet message boards. JediNet was a web-ring, or a homepage that linked many different aspects of Star Wars fandom and their message boards: the books, costumers, role-play groups, and of course the toys.

I met SirSteve online there, as his college homework assignment for his HTML class got noticed by the manufacturers in Hong Kong (China) and they admired his pictures dedicated to presenting the existing 9 figures, and sent him images of the next 7 (Luke Snowspeeder / Yoda / TIE Pilot wave). Steve started getting more site hits than the bandwidth at JediNet could handle. He had to go out on his own, and his younger brother, while annoying him, called him "Sir," and SirStevesGuide was born!

(Steve should be telling this story actually).

Anyway, I was talking with him online, and my JediNet book reviews got the notice of YakFace.com who invited me to join them. I was on a mission to prop-up the EU and I wanted multiple site exposure as all these fan sites started to proliferate, including Rebelscum, HuntersGuild, and CollectStarWars.com (the pre-cursor to GalacticHunter.com)

Shadows of the Empire only encouraged me more to press for EU figures, but YakFace was giving me very little support and I did not know HTML programming myself. SirSteve actually began to teach me. In fact, I learned more from him about computer programming than I learned in college. (Steve, if you're reading this, I'm actually still grateful - I just haven't said anything for a long while).

Well YakFace (and Rebelscum) got into severe competition with Steve - and things were bitter over news and especially image stealing. I wanted everyone to get along, but with Action Online interfering, things looked worse and worse for that happening.

SSG became more of a business, and I always looked at it as more my entertainment and a fan mania fest. Steve didn't need to be a looney fanboy when he had me around to cover that! :crazed:

I offered my loyalty and support to him and left YakFace after only a few months, and I've been with Steve ever since 1996.

Yes the boards have been relocated, updated, etc. That is why many of us have profiles that say we joined in 2001 or something.

JetsAndHeels
04-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Let's see...what have I accomplished since I joined here years ago...

First off I have made some good friends on here. I have met at least one of them (JON9000), and have talked to several on the phone, like Mabs, KH, and InsaneJediGirl. I have traded or bought things with several members. I have been in correspondence someway or another with alot of folks.

Second of all I finally graduated college. It took several years, and a few different schools, but dammit I finished. It was the best feeling in the world, getting that college degree and knowing I had finally done it.

In my own life, I was working as an insurance person at Duke Hospital when I signed on here. From that job I went to work for a home improvement firm in Raleigh, then to an optometrist's assistant, to an assistant manager in retail.

Things got rough in between then and now. Let's just say it was a close call, and then when I returned to my senses I decided it was time to do more with my life. I began substitute teaching and then started school for my certification to become a full-time teacher.

Now I am in my first full year of teaching civics and US History on the high school level. I am done with my certification, and in a couple of years I plan to start working on my master's degree. My goal is to teach at a community college or university sometime in the near future.

El Chuxter
04-10-2008, 02:06 PM
My proudest achievements:

1) Met Rob Liefeld
2) Appeared on Springer
3) Walked on stage and farted in John McCain's face during the Republican debate
4) Buried myself alive and set a new Guinness world record
5) Committed bigamy
6) Legally changed my name to Oliver Pantsoff
7) Realized "Pantsoff" wasn't funny and changed last name to Klausopf
8) Transplanted my brain into a chicken
9) Moved to Zimbabwe and ruled with an iron fist for three years
10) Wrote a bestselling book of candid interviews with dairy cows
11) Fell into an alternate dimension where the dominant Star Trek site was SirTychosGuide
12) Convinced Stan Lee to engage in a homosexual tryst during Comic Con '05, then bailed on him before he showed up
13) Shot a moose
14) Got a subscription to Woman's Day
15) Invaded Albuquerque and overthrew their despotic tyrant
16) Shot another moose
17) Ate a Buick
18) Co-starred opposite Sigourney Weaver and the rotting corpse of Charles Bronson in a remake of Hair
19) Created my own line of hair care products for the bald
20) Ordered exclusively from the "secret menu" at In-N-Out Burger

Tycho
04-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Hehehe. Some of these were really funny. I've known ElChuxter from this site longer than anyone here save for SirSteve.

My proudest achievements:

8) Transplanted my brain into a chicken

You too? Actually for me it was the Cadbury Easter Bunny, I only make chicken clucking noises.

9) Moved to Zimbabwe and ruled with an iron fist for three years

I got several e-mails from you during that time. Something about fleeing the country and needing my bank account numbers so you could deposit $150 billion dollars into my account and pay me a $1 million service fee? Sorry I never moved fast enough to help you out. I hope it all worked out and opposition forces didn't execute your 9 wives and 36 children.

10) Wrote a bestselling book of candid interviews with dairy cows

I quote from your work regularly when I'm in the shower. "Moooo!"

11) Fell into an alternate dimension where the dominant Star Trek site was SirTychosGuide

Oh, you remember that? :thumbsup:

I especially like my "Ferengi's Guide To Women" subpage feature.

17) Ate a Buick

Did it have that new car smell? I then could see how you'd be tempted. Sniffing Buicks is in good taste!

19) Created my own line of hair care products for the bald

So you invented Windex? Wow.

Val Da Car
04-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Took my wife to our first convention (Wizard World - Chicago) and met Boba Fret in his Tusken costume.

Made some outstanding trades with people here. (Hooked up BF with a WM Exclusive (Luke / Han / swamp creature). & JMS for some figures, too

Picked up the MR AT AT SE that I have loved ever since Ep V

Took my older brother to Ep 2 like he did for me with Ep V. Took my nephews to Ep III and spoiled them with Star Wars toys from my collection.

Became more confident in my writing skills to communicate better in forums and taken that experience to RS (where I have met some locals collectors and we have banded together and some of them even started the CheeseHead Garrison in SE Wisconsin).

Learned to live life after better after feeling for life changes here (VT's sudden passing touched me deeply. Asking Tycho a Financial Advisor question and reading his life changing experiences that he has shared with all of us.)

Built my first house with my wife and we went back to school together for a year until she got pregnant with our first child (born 04/08/2008 ..Daniel Gabriel) and we will celebrate 15 years married come June.

Tycho
04-11-2008, 03:13 AM
Wow. To Val Da Car and others - with thanks. Actually, with what's been going on with me, it's been easy to lose perspective and I spent a long time on the phone with BobaFrett, SirSteve and JediTricks today (much gratitude to each) trying to figure out what to do with terrible news concerning my health. I guess I'll get to that or start a new thread about it, dig up the old one, whatever. For the moment, this nostalgia trip has more appeal.

So where was I with "Tycho's story," the next installment?

Well I finally was elected to the land-use and planning body that helped to define policy in the area around San Diego State University, my alma matter. With my financial background and trust I established in the community by my volunteer service, I rose to be elected to the Executive Board of that body and the position of Treasurer.

While finishing college, I'd worked for the campaigns of almost every member of our City Council and the Mayor, established a reputation as a professional, and set myself up in the political consulting business (a polite way of saying I was a lobbyist). But my experience and positioning mirrored the resumes of those elected, and thus I was establishing the pattern and experience for success with my own career.

I was elected to the Park and Recreation board for which I even incorporated Star Wars into charitable fundraisers (remember we sold those life-size Wattos and Yodas?)

I worked with the Police and City Attorney's Office with law enforcement being trained to serve as a counselor in the Community Court.

I helped build our local area a brand new library.

I logged hours assisting with services for the homeless through a church connection.

I was a consultant on the redevelopment plan for our business district.

I ran and completed a commercial property vacancy abatement program for our business district.

- While most of these things and more served an ulterior motive of mine - to build up my own resume to get me elected - they were the kinds of social work projects (many done unpaid, as a volunteer) that I lent myself to the community for. They also included the unglamourous trash clean-ups, and the registering of voters, etc. which I also volunteered myself for - and often coordinated.

I was very active as a giving volunteer in my community when my health had permitted it. I just didn't brag about it - I was saving that and the photographs of me at work - for my own "breakout election."

I intended to run for City Council and serve San Diego for the maximum 8 years, and then use that to build up my resume to be elected mayor of a major city (San Diego is one of the largest municipalities in the United States.) As mayor of New York, Rudy Gulliani was a Presidential candidate - so you never know where I could take that. If I was "on track," I'd be mayor of San Diego while in my 40's. Then I might be able to take that a long way, being limited in the office of mayor to service until my early 50's. John Edwards is in his early 50's.

As I said, I naively believed in a meritocracy - such that if my service and experience, plus a great track record in any lower offices held, warranted it - I'd gain the positions I sought. That might work, but I've learned that in the real world, it's how people cut deals and who they sell out to that makes a huge difference. It gave me much to think about. But I had not done anything dishonest or caved in to corruption yet.

Incidentally, with having done all this work to prove I was a good person to the electorate while largely hiding my political affiliations to many, as even City Council is supposed to be non-partisan - not Republican or Democrat - in San Diego (hah!) I was terribly wounded by Karl Rove and his ilk who in 2004 decided that I (or my kind) was out to promote immorality by turning everybody gay and having those that weren't turned have abortions. :rolleyes: Remember, it did come down to the Religious Right defining the election issues with God, Gays, and Guns. (I am pro-2nd Ammendment, btw).

But as it went to my own detriment on these boards, I lashed out at "my own (supposed) kind" and analyzed people and exposed hypocrisy where I saw it, including NOT pandering to gay or Christian issues. The hypocrisy infuriated me, and as I noted in my conversation with JediTricks today, some people will still feel that I am the biggot, while my actual position is not against these groups, only to expose them for any hypocrisy, and make sure people know that I'm not toting a PC line just because I want to appear PC. In government, I went on the record opposing both Christian and Jewish groups seeking permission to erect and display articles of faith on public lands. I was accused of "attacking," too - but I won re-election.

So let's just say it plainly - I'm not going to pander. And I never broke rules here on these boards to personally attack anyone - but "I'm not allowed" to be friends with some if I don't pander to their life-choices. :rolleyes: It really is a choice between defending myself and my right to my own opinions and non-hate speech, and giving some others free reign to have at theirs, or standing up and being myself. Well, I wouldn't like being "friend-less," and I'd suffer for it, but I am not afraid of it.

Anyway, in a nutshell, I graduated college, started a consulting business with my political connections (I did grant-writing in that role as well), got my licenses to sell stocks, bonds, mortgages, life-insurance, etc. and won elections to start off my political career, having volunteered or been paid to serve in many community aid positions with police, parks, social services, the library system, landuse and planning, environmental impact concerns, transportation planning, etc.

Coming next in "Tycho's story:" my health concerns, fall into disability, and perhaps my relationships with women and family.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-12-2008, 10:02 AM
I have some "approaching" thesholds, which I suppose aren't true examples for this thread until they're officially crossed, but so what.

- about to complete my sixth (:eek: ) year as an English teacher, this year with a full load of six classes (that means no prep period). I took on our school's High School Exit Exam preparation course (for students who failed the HSEE at least once and need to pass it for graduation) and unless the student dropped the course or was absent for the exam, all of the kids passed. :thumbsup: (I guess that's their threshold, but my own goal was to get every single one of them to get the minimum 350 score or better [one senior got exactly 350, but hey, it counts], so yippee me :selfprops: ). If I teach at least a half a year more, it will be the longest job I've ever held (would beat my 6 1/2 years as a newspaper carrier).

- in a month, I'll make my final payment on my car, which makes buying and paying off two autos in the last 5 years (had an accident 3 years ago this 4/30 that totalled it, a month after paying the last installment :( ). I did not plan to do that; I like my transportation to last longer...

- I intend to write a manuscript of the book that's been in my head almost 15 years, instead of my usual summer goal of reading 30 books (which I did for the first time last summer: 34 in fact, almost 10,000 pages : patshimselfonback: ).

- continued my streak of being among the world's oldest confirmed/uncertain considering/but-no-way looking for nobody/perhaps bachelors. :confused:

- maintain my distain, distaste, and lack of desire to own a cell phone :mad:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-12-2008, 10:09 AM
I have a son who I wouldn't trade for the world. Sometimes I want to kick him in the butt for his slacker attitude.For nothing? Not even for that rare carded missle-firing Boba Fett? Wow... ;)

bobafrett
04-12-2008, 01:34 PM
For nothing? Not even for that rare carded missle-firing Boba Fett? Wow... ;)

Nope. That's just plastic, and I can always break into the house that has one and steal it if I desire.

TeeEye7
04-14-2008, 04:56 PM
- continued my streak of being among the world's oldest confirmed/uncertain considering/but-no-way looking for nobody/perhaps bachelors. :confused:

I used to belong to that club. Then one day, least expected, things changed. :thumbsup:

You've been warned..............;)

Tycho
04-15-2008, 01:27 AM
Well, to continue things with my life story a little. Some more milestones:

I graduated college with my bachelor's degrees in economics, and political science. I minored in philosophy and concentrated on organizing ethics for logical consistency, pretty much useful for a post-graduate education involving the acquisition of my jurisdoctorate degree (but I did not become a lawyer or complete the degree as of yet).

But my education explains my hyper-need to stand against hypocrisy and the analyzing of everyone's motives and positions on just about anything, any time. It fits my personality. This also fits with my "False-this-or-that theories" and I place a higher value on rooting out the truths that no one wants to look at, over being politically correct or indulging in other's fantasies that they just be accepted at their word, for their spoken position, etc. I guess I'm that way because I'm angry that I'm not accepted (as a 30-something Star Wars fan who buys toys for 4-year-olds) and I don't like being part of this "denial club" where everyone wants to pretend they're "normal." Another truth is that no one's normal. There are just folks who are more dull than others. I'd say SW fans are more exciting and have "a life," but it is just different from others. Unfortunately, there are heroic oddities (like pro-atheletes) and ones that society brands shameful - like SW collectors. Steve Sansweet was never worshipped like Tom Brady. But we can admire Sansweet because we share an interest with him, yet it's stupid to pretend that he's going to ever be accepted as normal and celebrated like Brady. Our culture / society sucks. I'm not going to live in denial about that, but I'm not ready to "go Columbine" over it either. (Yet anyway)

I had some balance though. I trained for my black belt in martial arts and would still be doing that if not for my health concerns. But I practice what I learned.

I competed in amateur watercraft racing (riding SeaDoos) and won a couple of competitions.

I recently finished an entire 500 plus page novel and am pursuing a major publishing contract.

On the other hand, my father died as I was just getting out of high school, and I lost my mother the other year. An only child** I was the sole beneficiary of their estates. Financially, I'm doing alright because of this, however, my father died from the other inheritence I got from him: polycistic kidney disease. It's the inability for the body to break up proteins and get rid of their waste from the bloodstream.

It usually doesn't grab hold of you until adolescence or later, as my kidneys functioned at 100% until I was probably 13 or 14.

Now I face losing my ability to walk, as toxins in my blood corrode my nerves and muscles. It is probably forcing me into dialysis 3 times a week. I find out next month. That will be preferable to being forced into a wheelchair though.

A very brave and generous individual from this website may actually save me though, via his kidney donation, if everything works out. Everyone has 2 kidneys, but you can live with one. The San Diego Padres All-Star Relief Pitcher Trevor Hoffman has only 1 kidney (a birth defect actually), and he is a big time athlete. So having played baseball for 10 years myself, I plan on getting my transplant and then making the major league ;) (actually, I'd just like to go a week with holding all my food down)

Anyway, with my kidneys not working right, my blood got thicker and the higher viscosity caused pressure to build up and resulted in the aneurysm that broke in my brain in the summer of 2005. Many of you recall my close brush with death. This condition is fatal 90% of the time - and it may happen to me again. I'd say becoming able to walk again, then drive, was a milestone, too. It took months to recover. Now I'm pretty good, but I can feel myself starting to decline again and my latest medical report was pretty bad as I only have 8% of my kidney function remaining (between both of them).

Without dialysis anyway, I will be either unable to walk or dead by the end of the summer. If I get my transplant in July or August, that may be averted. Dialysis might make me more comfortable during the short term.

To wrap it up, I have no family, and I've become so bitter so as to drive away many of my friends, I may not be worth saving and it might be time to end this.

If I live through it all, I know one goal is to obtain a large house to display all my Star Wars collection in like Rancho Obi-Wan (but diorama style). I also want JediMasterSal to come visit me and help me set some of it up!

I want to be published and continue to write, and see my novels made into movies. Perhaps with time, my anger will subside and I'll behave differently from the bitter person I've become?

I've been around SSG since almost its beginning and I've changed a lot. But I think everyone can change again and again.

Droid
04-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Without dialysis anyway, I will be either unable to walk or dead by the end of the summer. If I get my transplant in July or August, that may be averted. Dialysis might make me more comfortable during the short term.

To wrap it up, I have no family, and I've become so bitter so as to drive away many of my friends, I may not be worth saving and it might be time to end this.

We all continue to hope for the best for you, Tycho. It is hard to believe it has already been nearly two years since your major medical crisis.

Please do the dialysis or whatever else may help you so that you are around for transplants or medical breakthroughs. (See Dr. McCoy, Star Trek IV, scene in the hospital when they go to save Chekov.)

I assure you that you have many friends here, and I'd like to consider myself one of them. We all care for you and would miss you a great deal. It may not be my place to say, Josh, but you are worth saving and it is not time to end this.

Droid
04-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Double Post

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Once I finished last year as a teacher, that officially became the longest job I've ever held: 7 years. Others:

- newspaper carrier (6 1/2 yrs)
- hotel employee (various job titles but at same place, 4 ys)
- drive-thru dairy clerk (1 1/2 yrs)
- minor league baseball food server (1/2 yr, a.k.a. one season)

College was usually an anti-job (no income, all outgo) in between those; I've been either employed or in post-secondary education since age 10! That was 85 years ago! :eek: ;)

DarthQuack
08-08-2009, 12:00 PM
In a few weeks I'll have been with Time Warner for 7 years. That's 7 years of ZERO cable and internet bills. :thumbsup:

DarkJedi5
08-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Join date November 2002, though I'd been visiting SSG since sometime in the late 90s to see photos of figures I hadn't been able to find on the pegs. Since then I've graduated college and gotten married. Do those count?

TeeEye7
08-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Since then I've graduated college and gotten married. Do those count?

Of course they do! :thumbsup: PLUS....you're surviving living here in California in spite of it all; like many of us here on the boards!

.....and, BTW, Josh....I think you need to make an updated post! ;)

Mad Slanted Powers
08-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Last October marked 10 years at my current job, and last November marked 5 years since I bought this house. Had my hours cut back to 36 per week earlier this year, but recently got bumped back up to 40. One person moved to another position part time, so a couple people in my department are taking over some of her duties, and I'm taking over some of their duties. Thus, with the extra stuff I'm doing, I get the hours back.

Qui-Long Gone
08-08-2009, 09:22 PM
^ Are you on that show Mad Men?

*This summer I finished the first chapter of my dissertation: 4 more to go! :cry:

bobafrett
08-09-2009, 07:00 AM
Of course they do! :thumbsup: PLUS....you're surviving living here in California in spite of it all; like many of us here on the boards!

.....and, BTW, Josh....I think you need to make an updated post! ;)

I agree, I just went back and read what Josh had posted, and the news for him has taken a happier, more robust turn, he's a ladies man again!

Tycho
08-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Oh yeah. I hadn't seen this thread for a while.

Since as of only this year, I received a new kidney and the removal of both my infected old ones, and with the generousity of BobaFrett right here on our boards, I got a second chance at LIFE!

I'd say that is the biggest threshold I could have possibly ever crossed until I come back from the dead and post here. But you could say I've already done that.

pbarnard
08-10-2009, 05:29 PM

Since as of only this year, I received a new kidney and the removal of both my infected old ones, and with the generousity of BobaFrett right here on our boards, I got a second chance at LIFE!

I'd say that is the biggest threshold I could have possibly ever crossed until I come back from the dead and post here. But you could say I've already done that.

How is one supposed to compete with that???

Married, kid coming, got tenure as staff (equivalent to seniority).

sith_killer_99
08-10-2009, 08:21 PM

How is one supposed to compete with that???

No kidding!!!

Tycho & BobaFrett win!

/thread

bobafrett
08-11-2009, 03:44 PM
No kidding!!!

Tycho & BobaFrett win!

/thread

Yes, I greatfully accept this award, and now my speech; It was a rough childhood, with many obsticales, having brain surgery at age 8, parents divorced a short time later, the teasing by my classmates, the awkward teenage years, then Star Wars, the movie that would forever change my destiny, as well as Tychos. The end.

Qui-Long Gone
08-11-2009, 08:22 PM
-wipes tear from eye-that was beautiful BF. :D I remember when my parents were shot in a dark alley when I was a kid, had it not also been for SW I might have turned out to be a tourtured vigilante or something....

Bel-Cam Jos
08-11-2009, 08:58 PM
-wipes tear from eye-that was beautiful BF. :D I remember when ....You almost had me going there, billionaire philantropist playboy.

Qui-Long Gone
08-11-2009, 09:08 PM
^why do people keep calling me that? I like caves, does that make me a freak?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-11-2009, 09:10 PM
I think it's the big honkin' yellow utility belt...

Qui-Long Gone
08-11-2009, 09:13 PM
^Why do you want to kill me? Shouldn't you be grading papers or something? :tired:

sith_killer_99
08-11-2009, 09:53 PM

Yes, yes it does. You sir are a freak......for licking caves.

Wait......wut?

bobafrett
08-13-2009, 07:30 AM

I'd say your "batty".

^Why do you want to kill me? Shouldn't you be grading papers or something? :tired:

Yes, yes he should, grade papers that is. Killing would only take the life of one, and imprison the other.

Yes, yes it does. You sir are a freak......for licking caves.

Wait......wut?

Super freak, Super freak, he's super freaky!

Blue2th
08-13-2009, 07:44 AM
I finally ran out of room in my collecting frenzy. Well the rellies moving in kinda speeded it up a little.
I comes in a lot easier than it goes out.
I don't buy everything Star Wars anymore, and only one of each figure now.

Is that a major threshold?

sith_killer_99
08-13-2009, 11:42 AM
I have effectively given up collecting Hasbro action figures. Does that count?

BTW, I am in the process of thining out my collection. I will be down to Gentle Giants and Kotobukiya, everything else will go, loose, carded, foreign, ALL figures in ALL packages!

The only set I will have a hard time parting with is the complete Canadian OTC (star background) figures.:(

Darth Jax
08-13-2009, 06:13 PM
been laid off a couple of times. broke up with several girls. do negative things count?

no significant milestones have been passed or major thresholds crossed since i joined.

Qui-Long Gone
08-13-2009, 09:57 PM
^Yes, because they are part of who you are and your story....I think too much focus on big dreams and big ideas and major achievments is a bit arrogant (and very American) sometimes because that's not always life (at least for many people)...sometimes life's thresholds have broken glass on the floor and that's important too!

Failure and setback makes sucess and overcoming all the better! lol

Mad Slanted Powers
08-13-2009, 10:18 PM
been laid off a couple of times. broke up with several girls. do negative things count?The first time I read that, I missed the word "off."

Bel-Cam Jos
08-15-2009, 08:41 AM
The first time I read that, I missed the word "off."And who says propostions aren't important. I mean, prepositions... :rolleyes:

InsaneJediGirl
02-04-2010, 11:37 PM
I think its more appropriate to think of what I've done since I've been MIA :

Graduated College :thumbsup:
Kept the same crappy job I had when starting college:rolleyes:
Went through a couple of men...er boys:whip:
Pretty much stopped collecting figures(is that a milestone?)
Crashed my car, then fixed said car twice
Managed to thoroughly destroy two computers!:pleased:

Mad Slanted Powers
02-05-2010, 12:06 AM
I think its more appropriate to think of what I've done since I've been MIA :

Kept the same crappy job I had when starting college:rolleyes:
Went through a couple of men...er boys:whip:
Pretty much stopped collecting figures(is that a milestone?)
Crashed my car, then fixed said car twice
Managed to thoroughly destroy two computers!:pleased:

You seem to leave a trail of destruction in your wake.

InsaneJediGirl
02-05-2010, 12:08 AM
I realized that after it was posted. Hmm....Must be a sign....of....something.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-05-2010, 12:11 AM
It means you are actually...Godzilla.

TeeEye7
02-05-2010, 12:51 AM

Kudos to you, young Miss! :thumbsup:

Tycho
02-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Good job Autumn! Nice to see you back visiting with us. We missed you.

InsaneJediGirl
02-05-2010, 11:53 AM
It means you are actually...Godzilla.

I am. Run for your lives!

Kudos to you, young Miss! :thumbsup:

Thank you, Thank you.

I missed you guys too. Hopefully I will be "visiting" for a while to come.:)

El Chuxter
02-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I, too, crashed my car and burned through several men. Please do not tell my wife.

sith_killer_99
02-05-2010, 03:10 PM
:confused:
I, too, crashed my car and burned through several men. Please do not tell my wife.

Your wife doesn't know you crashed your car?!?!

You seem to leave a trail of destruction in your wake.

It means you are actually...Godzilla.lol

UMMMmmmmm........

Yeah, just try not to leave a trail of destruction on SSG Godzilla.:laugh::p

bobafrett
02-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Glad to see your back IJG. Congratulations on graduating college. As a young man, I damaged a few cars in my time, as long as you are alright, that's what counts. Cars can be replaced, lives cannot always be fixed as easily.

InsaneJediGirl
02-06-2010, 05:31 PM

I wont tell her. Its hard to find a good man and an even better car;)

Yeah, just try not to leave a trail of destruction on SSG Godzilla.:laugh::p

No promises:twisted:

Glad to see your back IJG. Congratulations on graduating college. As a young man, I damaged a few cars in my time, as long as you are alright, that's what counts. Cars can be replaced, lives cannot always be fixed as easily.

Thanks Barry :)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-14-2012, 08:08 PM
I had some epiphanies today. Oh, and ba-bump. :shovel:

Since a door is a form of threshold, here's what I've learned about doors in my life:

- Doesn't do well to just expect that since a bathroom stall door isn't locked that's there no person in there. So I have learned to ALWAYS tap and open any such door slooooowly.
- Good idea to step away from a door, where you can't tell if someone will be coming from the other side, when you try to open it.
- Like a phone, you don't have to answer it immediately. Sometimes, like a wrong number or back-in-the-day prank calls, it's just someone trying to make noise or rile you up.
- Be careful how you open car doors, and don't expect them to stay open all the time, especially when parked on a slope. Your shoulders and shirt sleeves will thank you.

El Chuxter
09-15-2012, 01:16 AM
Also, about bathroom doors. People tend to freak out if you kick one open and point a camera in their face, regardless of whether you take a photo or not. :evil:

Mad Slanted Powers
09-15-2012, 02:04 AM
- Doesn't do well to just expect that since a bathroom stall door isn't locked that's there no person in there. So I have learned to ALWAYS tap and open any such door slooooowly.Yeah, a couple times I walked in on someone in a port-a-potty at a race. So, I try to remember to knock if I didn't see someone just come out of one.

Tycho
09-15-2012, 02:49 AM
They were racing in port-a-potties?

Like to see who could get it all out faster? (No. 1 or No. 2?)

Or was it more like an endurance thing? Like who could get the most out of their bowels or bladder?

Or maybe it was the longest fart? Or how long the smell could last?

It might have just been who could vacate the quickest so someone else could use the stall before the next sporting event.

In almost any of these competitions, eating Mexican food helps a winner the most.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Two weeks ago today, my girlfriend and I took the plunge on vacation. It was sort of an elopement, sort of planned. We are both in our mid 30's and after 1 1/2 years of dating, we knew time was not on our side, so we decided to get hitched. I am not big on pageantry and processions, so I thought a wedding on vacation, with no family or friends was the perfect way to avoid the planning and potential bridezilla or family related shenanigans.

We are having a reception for families though at a banquet hall at the end of the month. Kate and I will have immediate family and friends gathered for a Sunday brunch. To be truthful, I am more nervous for this than I was for the wedding.

The one thing I do regret was my mom. She was no doubt happy for me, but I heard from my dad later that she did not get to escort her son down the aisle as she had dreamed.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Great news! :D Now, you shouldn't feel so lowly as your user name says.

Ando
07-15-2013, 10:35 AM
- Bought into my father's business in February 2011 and then got rejected for life insurance due to a VERY high A1C (14!) in March 2011.
- Through diet and exercise alone, lost 30 pounds and then fully REVERSED what had been undiagnosed and severe type 2 diabetes between April and September 2011 (took my A1C from 14 to 5.5 in 4 1/2 months).
- Between September 2011 and May 2012, I continued to exercise and I maintained the weight loss I had achieved and as well as keeping my non-diabetic A1C the same.
- Stopped drinking soda and eating fast food.
- May 2012 - November 2012, lost an additional 20 pounds bringing me down to the smallest that I have ever weighed going all the way back to when I was a fat little 12 year old (I am 36 years old and I am only 5' 8").
- Started doing pushups and pullups in addition to my morning (and sometimes afternoons walks).
- Bought a house with my wife in November 2012, and carried her over the threshold.
- Stopped watching TV before Easter, canceled cable in early April.
- Reconnected with my wife and have become a better husband and partner to her. We just celebrated 6 years of marriage in June.
- And over all of this, in the last 2 years, I have renewed my faith in my Lord and savior, Jesus Christ and what it truly means to follow Him.

I am a completely different person inside and out now.

bigbarada
07-15-2013, 02:50 PM
- And over all of this, in the last 2 years, I have renewed my faith in my Lord and savior, Jesus Christ and what it truly means to follow Him.

That's awesome, dude! It's great to talk to other brothers in Christ who also just happen to be Star Wars fans. :cool:

Ando
07-15-2013, 03:57 PM
That's awesome, dude! It's great to talk to other brothers in Christ who also just happen to be Star Wars fans. :cool:

Thank you for the encouragement, brother!

JimJamBonds
07-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Holy cow Ando you rock!!! What an awesome 2 years! :applause:

Ando
07-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Thank you, JJB. It's been an awesome 2 years. All thanks to my wife and Jesus.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Well, I have now lived to see a non-losing season from the Pittsburgh :Pirate:s. That's quite something!

JimJamBonds
09-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Well, I have now lived to see a non-losing season from the Pittsburgh :Pirate:s. That's quite something!

It hasn't been THAT long, you were around for the last one.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-06-2013, 08:53 PM
But not "since joining SSG."
According to my profile (which cannot even be untrue, you know), I also lived through both World Wars, and the invention of the hula hoop.