PDA

View Full Version : The New TV Season

Mad Slanted Powers
09-09-2007, 10:30 PM
I just got the Entertainment Weekly Fall TV Preview issue. Here are some shows that interest me.

Monday
8pm NBC - Chuck. It is listed as a comedy. EW's description: "A computer nerd gets sucked into spydom when all of America's secret intelligence is downloaded into his brain." Sounds like a similar idead to Jake 2.0, but perhaps this will do better than that show. It premieres September 24. However, it is on at the same time as Prison Break, which has its season premiere a week earlier.

9pm NBC - Heroes - Returns on September 24 as well.

10pm NBC - Journeyman - "A San Franciscan who keeps geting swept back in time–when he was ingaged to a woman who mysteriously died. Or did she?" Also premieres on September 24.

Tuesday
8pm FOX - Bones - This show returns on September 25 on its new day.

8pm CW - Reaper - Not sure if I will watch this "devilishly funny dark fantasy about a lovable slacker named Sam forced by the Devil himself to capture superbad, super-powerful, and super-freaky souls who've escaped from an increasingly crowded underworld." If not, maybe I will start watching House, or just not watch anything at all. Both premiere on September 25.

Wednesday
8pm ABC - Pushing Daisies - "Young pie-maker Ned can bring the dead back to life with a touch–and send them right back to the grave with a second one." Premieres October 3.

8pm FOX - Back to You - This is on the same time as Pushing Daisies, but since this premieres September 19, I might consider checking this out. It has a lot of star power with Kelsey Grammer, Patricia Heaton and Fred Willard, with creators Christopher Lloyd and Steven Levitan, and director James Burrows. However, I just haven't been watching sitcoms in recent years.

9pm NBC - Bionic Woman - Update of the 1970's series. Premieres September 26.

Thursday
8pm CW - Smallville - I guess Supergirl will be on the show this year. Returns September 27.

8pm NBC - 30 Rock - I only saw the first episode last year due to it being on the same time as too many other things. Not sure if I will bother to record it this year. Returns October 4.

8pm ABC - Ugly Betty - Ditto what I said about 30 Rock. However, I can only record one, and I'd rather watch a half hour show on tape, plus it would probably be harder to get back into this show. So, I won't be watching this one. Returns September 27.

9pm CW - Supernatural - The Winchester boys will be hunting stuff again on October 4.

Friday
8pm CBS - Ghost Whisperer - Jennifer Love Hewitt will resume talking to dead people on September 28.

10pm CBS - Numb3rs - Math genius helps his FBI brother solve crimes. Returns on September 28.

10pm ABC - Men In Trees - I started watching this show last year when it was in the slot between Ghost Whisperer and Numb3rs, but then they moved it to Thursday and took it off the air. I probably won't bother with it this year since I'd have to record it anyway. Returns October 12.

Saturday

They don't show new stuff on Saturday anymore. Just Cops and reruns.

Sunday
I stopped watching Simpsons and King of the Hill years ago, and never cared for Family Guy. Not that I dislike Simpsons and King of the Hill. I have been buying all the Simpsons DVD's, but still haven't watched them yet either.

So, what is everyone else watching?

Beast
09-09-2007, 10:50 PM
8pm CW - Reaper - Not sure if I will watch this "devilishly funny dark fantasy about a lovable slacker named Sam forced by the Devil himself to capture superbad, super-powerful, and super-freaky souls who've escaped from an increasingly crowded underworld." If not, maybe I will start watching House, or just not watch anything at all. Both premiere on September 25.Reminds me of Brimstone. Where a cop who's murdered goes to hell for killing the criminal who raped his wife. But will get a second shot at life playing the Devil's Bounty Hunter and recapturing the 113 escaped souls from hell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brimstone_(TV_series)

bigbarada
09-09-2007, 10:50 PM
The Ultimate Fighter 6 premieres on Sept. 19th on Spike. Former UFC Champion Matt Hughes squares off against Current UFC Champion Matt Serra. Both are coaching teams of up-and-coming fighters who are competing for one UFC Welterweight contract. After the show aires Hughes and Serra will then fight for the UFC Welterweight title on December 29th. That and Heroes are about all I plan to watch this season.

Kidhuman
09-09-2007, 11:12 PM
I will be watching the following:

Heroes
Heores: Origins(starts mid season probably during a Hiatus)
24(midseason)
Scrubs
Family Guy

I will give Bionic Woman a chance, but havent read many good things about it, so it will probably be a realy good show. Other than that, I dont watch much TV sans sports.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-09-2007, 11:35 PM
This year's new TV setup looks like crap.

Stuff I'll be watching this season:
24 (mid season)
Jericho (mid season)
Simpsons
Family Guy
The Office
My Name is Earl
Scrubs
30 Rock
Heroes & Heroes: Origins
Smallville

Yeah, probably nothing new. I thought "Chuck" was supposd to be a comedy about retail, but the description sounds really odd.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Yes, I'll be watching Jericho and 24 as well when they return.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-09-2007, 11:51 PM
Yeah, probably nothing new. I thought "Chuck" was supposd to be a comedy about retail, but the description sounds really odd.Well, the preview does show him working for the "Nerd Herd". Probably something like Best Buy's "Geek Squad".

El Chuxter
09-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Looks like Curb Your Enthusiasm, Good Eats, and Family Guy for me again this year. I don't watch much TV, especially in recent years.

Alton Brown could singlehandedly take on all the so-called Heroes.

2-1B
09-10-2007, 12:50 AM
The Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and the NFL are the only mandatory views for me...and Family Guy sometimes.

Lord Malakite
09-10-2007, 04:56 AM
Reminds me of Brimstone. Where a cop who's murdered goes to hell for killing the criminal who raped his wife. But will get a second shot at life playing the Devil's Bounty Hunter and recapturing the 113 escaped souls from hell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brimstone_(TV_series)

You too Beast? :D I think the biggest contrast between Brimstone and Reaper will come from the writing approach in genre. Brimstone went with a somewhat realistic philosophical/psychological dark drama writing approach. Reaper on the other hand appears to be going for a superhero/comic book light comedy writing appoach.

General_Grievous
09-10-2007, 10:58 AM
A lot of the new shows have "Dead on Arrival" written all over them. Regardless, I'll be watching:

Sundays
-Family Guy
-Adult Swim lineup

Mondays
-Heroes
-Heroes: Origins (midseason)

Wednesdays
-Lost (midseason)
-South Park

Thursdays
-My Name Is Earl
-The Office

And I'll probably check out Sarah Connor Chronicles when it airs.

JediTricks
09-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Monday
8pm NBC - Chuck. It is listed as a comedy. EW's description: "A computer nerd gets sucked into spydom when all of America's secret intelligence is downloaded into his brain." Sounds like a similar idead to Jake 2.0, but perhaps this will do better than that show. It premieres September 24. However, it is on at the same time as Prison Break, which has its season premiere a week earlier.This one is being pushed so hard, but it just doesn't look that entertaining from the previews I've seen, it seems to be trying too hard.

10pm NBC - Journeyman - "A San Franciscan who keeps geting swept back in time–when he was ingaged to a woman who mysteriously died. Or did she?" Also premieres on September 24.Well, it's not being promoted like the previous, but I just haven't felt drawn to it yet. And it's getting a little tired to have these time-travel shows about someone's death.

Tuesday
8pm CW - Reaper - Not sure if I will watch this "devilishly funny dark fantasy about a lovable slacker named Sam forced by the Devil himself to capture superbad, super-powerful, and super-freaky souls who've escaped from an increasingly crowded underworld." If not, maybe I will start watching House, or just not watch anything at all. Both premiere on September 25.I saw the pilot at Comic-Con and was underwhelmed, the whole audience felt like Smith had bait & switched them, it seemed. It was like a cheap knockoffy cross between Buffy & Dogma (without the philosophy).

Wednesday
8pm FOX - Back to You - This is on the same time as Pushing Daisies, but since this premieres September 19, I might consider checking this out. It has a lot of star power with Kelsey Grammer, Patricia Heaton and Fred Willard, with creators Christopher Lloyd and Steven Levitan, and director James Burrows. However, I just haven't been watching sitcoms in recent years.It's Fox, so I don't believe it'll survive a whole year, and that's keeping me from being interested. However, I like the leads and the creative staff, so I may check it out. But I get the feeling that there's some clever stuff from the actors surrounded by some really trite situation-based comedy, and I'm sick to death of Patricia Heaton playing a shrew.

9pm NBC - Bionic Woman - Update of the 1970's series. Premieres September 26.I don't like how the promotions have been making this out to be, and the concept doesn't really grab me (never did). I'll likely not give it a chance.

Thursday
8pm CW - Smallville - I guess Supergirl will be on the show this year. Returns September 27.Saw the very short panel at SDCC, I'll watch but I'm suspecting this to be an incredibly mediocre final year.

8pm NBC - 30 Rock - I only saw the first episode last year due to it being on the same time as too many other things. Not sure if I will bother to record it this year. Returns October 4.The first eps were pretty weak, and I think a large portion of the cast drags the series down, but Fey and Baldwin make it work and the writing got a lot stronger by the last few eps so I'll probably watch. I just hope the new timeslot doesn't neuter it, that's the Cosby hour after all.

Friday
10pm CBS - Numb3rs - Math genius helps his FBI brother solve crimes. Returns on September 28.I'll watch the first few episodes, if they can't pull it out of last season's nosedive I'll ditch.

I'm not really sure what's even coming on besides that list, so I can't say what I'll be watching.

Reminds me of Brimstone. Where a cop who's murdered goes to hell for killing the criminal who raped his wife. But will get a second shot at life playing the Devil's Bounty Hunter and recapturing the 113 escaped souls from hell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brimstone_(TV_series) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brimstone_%28TV_series%29)Reaper can't hold Brimstone's lunch. Even Brimstone's Devil was better. Reaper I suppose is a low-rent version of that, but doesn't really have it's smart tone or drive, it's trying to be much more cute and thin.

Looks like Curb Your Enthusiasm, Good Eats, and Family Guy for me again this year. I don't watch much TV, especially in recent years.

Alton Brown could singlehandedly take on all the so-called Heroes.Alton doesn't seem to do normal seasons, the eps seem to come out whenever, I think there were 4 new eps this summer. Very frustrating to follow, but great to watch, Alton Brown is the king of cuisine tv!

El Chuxter
09-10-2007, 07:36 PM
A new episode of Alton is worth an entire season of any other show.

Unless the other show is Get a Life.

UKWildcat
09-10-2007, 07:36 PM
I'll likely watch the same stuff that I usually do. I may give a couple of these new shows a chance, but I'm not really being optimistic with most of them.

I have been watching Californication on SHO which has been pretty good thus far. It has already been renewed for a second season too...

General_Grievous
09-10-2007, 08:06 PM
This one is being pushed so hard, but it just doesn't look that entertaining from the previews I've seen, it seems to be trying too hard.

And that's why nobody will watch it. I say it's canned two weeks in.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-10-2007, 08:49 PM
This one is being pushed so hard, but it just doesn't look that entertaining from the previews I've seen, it seems to be trying too hard.And that's why nobody will watch it. I say it's canned two weeks in.Well, at least that will free up time for me from watching TV.

Well, it's not being promoted like the previous, but I just haven't felt drawn to it yet. And it's getting a little tired to have these time-travel shows about someone's death.Even worse when you get into it and then it gets cancelled, like Tru Calling.

The first eps were pretty weak, and I think a large portion of the cast drags the series down, but Fey and Baldwin make it workI agree. I don't much care for Baldwin and his politics, but he is definitely funny on SNL and something like this.

Reaper can't hold Brimstone's lunch. Even Brimstone's Devil was better. Reaper I suppose is a low-rent version of that, but doesn't really have it's smart tone or drive, it's trying to be much more cute and thin.Forever Knight seemed to be a similar type show. I think I saw some episodes of that on Sci-Fi channel many years ago.

El Chuxter
09-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Okay, not sure if this is available everywhere, but Time-Warner Cable has the pilot of Bionic Woman on On-Demand. Mrs Chux was curious and wanted to watch it this morning.

It is bad.

I'm not talking Heroes or Buffy here, where it's merely a case of "this did not appeal to me." No, Bionic Woman is frigging awful. The acting is ridiculous, the basic premise is weak, and there are plot holes so massive that a Death Star, Unicron, and a Borg Cube could all cruise through at one time without even being noticed. (I could list some of the bigger problems, but the episode hasn't aired, and I'd rather be sensitive to anyone who might want to waste an hour on this and not be spoiled.)

Yeah, this one really and truly sucks.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-15-2007, 04:49 PM
And thus, I will probably like it.

JediTricks
09-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Amazon has it available for free download this week. I'm considering not wasting the bandwidth.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-16-2007, 02:27 AM
10pm NBC - Journeyman - "A San Franciscan who keeps geting swept back in time–when he was ingaged to a woman who mysteriously died. Or did she?" Also premieres on September 24.Man, who taught this guy how to type?

This show, Bionic Woman, and Chuck are available on Comcast On Demand. I watched Bionic Woman tonight, and plan to watch the other two soon since I might not be able to watch them the night they premiere.

JediTricks
09-18-2007, 04:47 AM
I watched K*ville tonight simply because it was the ONLY new thing on tonight that I was interested in (I don't care about Prison Break). It was alright, Anthony Anderson has some acting chops and brings it here. The plot was a little telegraphed and cliched, but they kept it balanced for the most part. I might have even been on board if not for the big switcheroo they pulled at the end, that didn't work for me at all and came off incredibly disappointing because of how far-fetched it really was.

UKWildcat
09-30-2007, 01:58 AM
I actually gave quite a few of these new shows a shot this past week.

First up was Chuck. This show was alright. Nothing spectacular going on here. Somewhat interesting premise, so I'll watch the next couple of episodes to see how it goes.

Next up is Cane. This show is a little promising. I like Jimmy Smits, he is good people. Lots of other good actors in this one too. The premise on this one is interesting as well. It has the whole mob feel to it, which is a plus, so we will see how this one plays out. I'm going to be optimistic and stick with it, atleast for a few more episodes. The pilot episode introduced a whole crap load of characters so it was kind of overwhelming in that respect, but there were several plot developments. Yeah, going to give this one a go...

Then there was Reaper. I was semi let down with this show. It has some promise, but it is most definitely no Dead Like Me. I know, it is a different kind of show, but still... The one chick is really cute, Missy Peregrym who played Candice in Heroes. I have a serious thing for her, so she alone will keep me tuned in for a few more episodes. Man... the stuff i'd do with her... :D We'll see how this one goes...

I just got around to watching Life today. I was probably least impressed with this one overall. The story/plot behind the show could definitely go in some entertaining and exciting directions, but I don't know if it will accomplish this while keeping the audience interested at the same time. I may watch one or two more episodes, but I could very well not. We'll see.

The last new show I caught this past week was Dirty Sexy Money. Like Cane there was a lot of character introductions, which is typical of a show of this nature, and a pilot. Overall, I really enjoyed this show, maybe the most out of the others I watched. Peter Krause stars and does a fantastic job, much like his performance(s) in Six Feet Under. Donald Sutherland and a handful of others complete the cast, all interesting characters with a very interesting premise. I plan on seeing this show through to the end unless it takes a serious turn for the worse. But I'm going to be very optimistic with this one... :thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
09-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I passed on Reaper. I was kind of tired from my trip back home so I didn't feel like watching anymore that night. I had a chance to see it again when they reran it a couple days later, but decided not too. Another show that I did end up watching was Moonlight. I probably wouldn't have watched it if it wasn't in between Ghost Whisperer and Numb3rs. This show is about a vampire who is a private detective. The premise reminds me a bit of Forever Knight. I'll probably keep watching for now.

JediTricks
10-04-2007, 08:38 PM
I had passed on Chuck originally, caught the premiere on the weekend by accident and it was alright, but it and the second episode didn't really deliver heavily in the action, comedy, spy, or anything genres, it kinda meanders lazily between concepts. I highly doubt I'll bother with a 3rd episode.

Fox's "Back to You" has been fairly entertaining, nothing amazing but it has a good cast and solid directing. The hook is a little syrupy, but newsroom stuff is funny. I won't bother getting invested as it's Fox and they cancel everything.

I accidentally caught the last few mins of Cavemen while cleaning, that had to be the absolute least-funny sitcom I've ever seen, and that is saying quite a bit. Carpoolers afterwards, I caught the first mins of that and it was pretty weak but nowhere near as poor as its lead-in.

It's not a good season for new product.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-04-2007, 09:13 PM
I watched Pushing Daisies last night. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure why it has received as much praise as it has. It's a good show and I'll keep watching, but it seems more like the kind of show that they go and cancel on me.

El Chuxter
10-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Pushing Daisies was quite good, but it almost seemed to be trying too hard to be Burtonesque at times. I'm not entirely sure about it being a weekly series. It would've made a better two-hour movie, I think.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-11-2007, 01:32 AM
Well, this is the schedule I've settled into now.

Monday - Chuck, Heroes and Journeyman. Record Prison Break to watch later in the week.

Tuesday - Bones and House

Wednesday - Pushing Daisies and Bionic Woman

Thursday - Smallville and Supernatural

Friday - Ghost Whisperer, Moonlight and Numb3rs. I've been recording Doctor Who, but I think the season is over.

I also started watching Torchwood, but I've watched it On Demand as I kept forgetting to watch it. It's on so many times that I'm not sure when it is on.

UKWildcat
10-11-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm still watching Chuck, which I'm really enjoying btw. This show has some promise.

I'm kind of growing tired of Reaper already. It's getting a little repetitive, but it has it's moments too. I'll probably watch a couple more episodes and either stick with it, or drop it. Missy Peregrym is one of the main reasons that I am giving this show a chance, and sticking with it, thus far.

Life is alright. Its getting more interesting. Not sure if I'll finish out the season or not, I could go either way with this one. The last couple of episodes have been better than the pilot, so thats good.

I have really enjoyed Cane. This show continues to surprise and impress me. It has captured my interest and I plan on sticking with it, unless it takes a serious turn for the worse.

Dirty Sexy Money. This show is outstanding and I look forward to watching it every Wednesday. Great actors, great story lines, great writing, great premise... Everything about this show is awesome and it is easily my favorite new show so far. I'll continue to watch this one as long as it's on tv. Is anyone else captivated by this show? or is it just me?

I've also been watching Californication on SHO and I am enjoying this one immensely.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-18-2007, 12:03 PM
New shows this season:

"Chuck"- the premiere was great, episode #2 was a psuedo bust, but the third episode was pretty solid and I haven't watched the fourth episode yet. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but I am curious how they're going to keep this going for a season or multiple seasons, etc.

"Reaper"- I really enjoy this show, aside from the same sorta setup each week. Still, it's a different kind of show and Sock cracks me up. He's like a morphing of Dane cook and Jack Black, but in a good, bearable way. And Ray Park is great as the Devil. Plus, I like how he rides Sam about how he controls his life and makes bad choices. And the chick who plays Annie is pretty lovely.

"Pushing Daisies"- I caught up thanks to abc.com and i really enjoy this show. It does feel very Burtonesque in parts, but i like the odd, quirky style and the deadpan humor it has. Plus, Anna Friel........swoon. So adorable. :thumbsup:

I wanna watch "Life" merely cos it has Damien Lewisfrom "Band of Brothers" but I'm just not into the whole cop show fad....which seems to have lasted for decades. Is it any good?

Mad Slanted Powers
10-18-2007, 01:04 PM
"Pushing Daisies"- I caught up thanks to abc.com and i really enjoy this show. It does feel very Burtonesque in parts, but i like the odd, quirky style and the deadpan humor it has. Plus, Anna Friel........swoon. So adorable. :thumbsup:Kristin Chenoweth (Olive) looks pretty good as well, as does Yvonne Strahovski (Sarah) from Chuck.

JediTricks
10-18-2007, 10:01 PM
"Reaper"- I really enjoy this show, aside from the same sorta setup each week. Still, it's a different kind of show and Sock cracks me up. He's like a morphing of Dane cook and Jack Black, but in a good, bearable way. And Ray Park is great as the Devil. Ray Wise, not Park.

Lord Malakite
10-19-2007, 02:30 AM
Here is the schedule of new episodes I've settled into.

Monday:
8:00PM - Prison Break (FOX)
9:00PM - Heroes (NBC)
10:00PM - CSI: Miami (CBS)

I would also like to watch or tape the new episodes of Power Rangers: Operation Overdrive on Toon Disney, but I only have basic TV so that is out of the question.

Tuesday:
8:00PM - Bones (FOX)
9:00PM - House (FOX)
10:00PM - Boston Legal (ABC)

I would also like to (at the very least) check out Reaper on CW. In the Cincinnati area CW is exclusively a digital channel though and I only have basic TV so that is out of the question.

Wednesday:
8:00PM - Wired Science (PBS)
9:00PM - Bionic Woman (NBC)
10:00PM - CSI: New York (CBS)

Thursday:
8:00PM - Survivor: China (CBS)
9:00PM - CSI: (CBS)
10:00PM - ER (NBC)

There are two other shows I'd like to watch or tape on this day. The first is My Name is Earl on NBC. I can't do that though as I'm sometimes required to tape Survivor for my other family members while still others watch it as it happens, and unfortunately majority rules in such circumstances. The other show I'd like to watch is Supernatural on CW. As I mentioned with Reaper though, its impossible to do with how CW is handled in the Cincinnati area. I'll just have to wait for Fettfield to order the DVD Season 3 set when it comes out.

Friday:
8:00PM - 20/20 (ABC)
9:00PM - Moonlight (CBS)

I'd like to watch new episodes of Stargate: Atlantis if it is still on Sci-Fi on Fridays, but as I don't have cable I am once again deprived of having the option.

Saturday:
6:00AM - Power Rangers: Operation Overdrive (ABC)
6:30AM - Power Rangers: Operation Overdrive (ABC)
9:30AM - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fast Forward (FOX)
10:00AM - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fast Forward (FOX)
9:00PM - America's Most Wanted (FOX)

Not much happening this day. Technically all Power Rangers episodes are old when they air on ABC, but as I don't have Toon Disney they are new to me. Watching Fast Forward is just a matter of passing the time and catching the last 6 or so new episodes left that FOX didn't air last season.

Sunday:
1:00AM - Star Trek [Remasters] (ABC)
1:00AM - Stargate: SG-1 (CBS)
2:00AM - Stargate: Atlantis (CBS)
8:00PM - The Simpsons (FOX)
8:30PM - King of the Hill (FOX)
9:00PM - Family Guy (FOX)
9:30PM - American Dad (FOX)

I tape the updated Star Trek's for viewing later in the day. Watching both Stargate shows falls pretty much under the same category as Power Rangers. They are technically old, but as I don't get Sci-Fi at home they are new to me.

JEDIpartner
10-23-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm really enjoying Chuck and Pushing Daisies this year. The characters are all fantastic and the plots, while very formulaic, are really fun rides. I started watching Reaper, but have grown really tired of the show. The pacing is really off and I don't care about these people at all.

The characters of Chuck, Morgan, Ellie and Sarah from Chuck have such multi-level relationships and you get to understand their conflict and closeness so easily. I couldn't possibly care less about Sam, Sock or Andi-- mostly 'cos Sock is an intrusive character that needs to be toned down a bit and we've not really gotten to find the heart of Sam and Andi's relationship. They've down played that aspect so much.

I think I've given up on Reaper as of this week. Chuck and Daisies both have me for as long as the networks allow.

JediTricks
10-23-2007, 07:02 PM
That's what I thought about Reaper seeing the pilot at SDCC, it just felt too thin and the characters didn't really bring anything to the table for me.

Chuck has been good up until last night, that episode felt exactly like the type of thing an outsider writer with only a cursory understanding of the series would have written - the characters all felt "off" and generic, and there were way too many Three's Company moments only with the dramatic twists.