PDA

View Full Version : Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight Review

Engineernerd
09-09-2007, 10:41 PM
We certainly have seen a number of Luke's this year. For the most part, I've been disappointed in the farm boy. See what I think of the Jabba's Palace version of the new Jedi Knight....

http://www.tvandfilmtoys.com/reviews/Luke_skywalker_jedi_knight_tac_25.asp

Enjoy!
Engineernerd

plasticfetish
09-10-2007, 03:26 AM
Yeah, this is one of those figures that I had no problem skipping. How many versions of this one idea do we really need? Luke Jedi, Luke holo Jedi, Luke Jedi w/ bone. What's next... Luke Jedi with super Jedi dragster?

pbarnard
09-10-2007, 11:54 AM
The soft goods here make no sense. Why when you can get this same figure just last year in Endor gear?

plasticfetish
09-10-2007, 04:13 PM
That's right, I forgot about Jedi Luke in Poncho...

Engineernerd
09-10-2007, 08:54 PM
I passed on the poncho Luke. The only good thing about the soft goods is that this Luke can at least sit down, unlike a number of figures this year. I don't know why that bothers me so much, but it just does.

The sad thing is if they come out with a Death Star 2 Luke, I know I'll buy it. I have two of the Saga ones on cards still, but that over the head pose sucks. (I have one error and one correct.) I acutally think the shape of the shoulder and size of would make a good DS2 Luke. Reminds me a bit of him hand cuffed in the elevator. Now with a better head, legs, arms....

I was going to pass on this one, and my wife added it to the cart saying, "you need to review mediocre and bad stuff not just the stuff you like." It scares me how supportive she is some times. I even heard her use "MOC" the other day.

(Sorry this rambles, I'm traveling on biz' and bored...)

mabudonicus
09-14-2007, 10:49 AM
coupled with eyes that seem to painted
Just figured I'd point out that you seem to be missing a "be" in that phrase- fine review of a mediocre figure :D
:beard:
Iso & Baws

Engineernerd
09-14-2007, 06:59 PM
Fixed...

Thanks! I'm an engineer by profession and my math skills are way more developed than the english ones. Mrs. 'nerd wasn't available to proof that one for me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-18-2007, 12:05 AM
I didn't realize until just now that the 1996 Jedi Luke also has the dickie-thing going on. I checked the movie today and it's actually accurate (contrary to what I thought), so the 2004 vest/tunic one is wrong.

Overall I like this figure, but would've rather had a DSII one (as we all have said).

JediTricks
09-18-2007, 06:44 AM
Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis? '96 Tan Vest Luke has a VEST on, that was the whole controversy in that variation, the VEST was this weird and inaccurate color in the first run.

Anyway, I've seen the costume in person on display, it's definitely a vest and not that ridiculous smock Hasbro put him in this time around. Here's a shot of it as a vest: http://www.jedi-academy.com/jedi_tips.html
http://www.padawansguide.com/fidm/maggie/luke1.jpg

Qui-Long Gone
09-18-2007, 11:50 PM
JT, I saw the vest too....the smock confuses me.

The whole figure is a big dissapointment, so I'll pass. Why make the smock removable if he can't wear the glove? That's what really makes me wonder.....This figure would make more sense without the bone and with a black glove for a Death Star II Luke.

Will Hasbro ever make a Luke head that isn't modeled off of a gargoyle?

JediTricks
09-19-2007, 02:39 AM
The smock isn't meant to be removed I think, I just pulled the torso off the waist to get it free, it goes INSIDE the waist and with it off, the torso doesn't seat fully leaving an ugly gap. I cannot imagine what they were thinking with that move - they complain all the time about mold costs, build an entire ****ing company on the notion of recycling the same body with just deco tweaks, and yet Luke DS2 is completely forgotten EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME!!! Hell, looking at this figure without the smock it doesn't even look that good as the DS2 outfit, the cut is wrong, and there's this annoying liney pattern in the costume. Yet I'm still taking it as that application because it's SO much less awful than the Saga one they did with the Harpo Marx face, I'll take this one based on the Jabba's Palace figure over that any day of the week. Heck, I even have him in the "kicking dad's a**" pose where he's whaling on Vader, with a stand it actually does a decent job of this.

The weird thing about the smock is they could have EASILY have made this pattern a vest instead, but didn't for whatever reason. It's like the lame vests on the WM-exclusive Cantina Band tin figs.

I don't dislike this headsculpt exactly, it's recognizable, but it's flawed and not really all that accurate, and they painted his eyes upwards again which is a downer.

The smock's belt has the nifty feature of having a loop for holding the saber, from when Luke put it in his belt to jump on the Sail Barge, and you can revolve the belt so it ends up in the back if you don't want to see it.

The best thing I can say about this figure is it can do the "hey look at this nifty lightsaber I just caught" pose from after he flips back onto the skiff - that's one of my SW moments.

Engineernerd
09-19-2007, 08:12 AM
I finally figured out what bugs me about the eyes. They look like Toyfare Twisted Theater eyes (the clay ones). They're just a tad oversize....

JediTricks
09-19-2007, 04:48 PM
I don't see it with this figure, though they are that upwards-gaze crap (and the right one is slightly bigger than the left). I remember the preview photos of Darth Malak looked like that TMT stuff, but Hasbro got that together.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-19-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm glad that he can finally do the pose shown on the coin and all the publicity shots, even if he doesn't have the blowing hair.

As for the dickie/smock/vest thing, now that you showed the picture of the actual costume, I see what's going on here. It looks like there are folds that start in the front of his costume and go to the back to make the folded-over effect that Hasbro misinterpreted as a dickie-type thing. I looked at the film and thought that the new figure was correct (and I assume they did the same - look at the DVD when his back is to the camera) but now realize the problems.

JediTricks
09-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Hasbro's got to know it's a vest, they have access to production stills and behind-the-scenes materials and even the costumes themselves from time to time. Plus, they've done this figure a couple times before with the vest. I think they just didn't have time to develop the idea to its final conclusion, the themed waves meant rushing it. Either that or they didn't think we'd care - like we wouldn't be bothered by them making Luke a halter top! If you think about how the part from the belt down is done, that fabric skirt ONLY exists to continue the vest but they went and did some complicated mess to cut the back of the vest out of the design for whatever reason. Maybe we should ask them what the f' in Q&A.

Mando3lite
09-22-2007, 02:32 AM
does Poncho luke have both activated and deactivated light sabers??

JediTricks
09-22-2007, 03:50 AM
No deactivated one, doesn't matter though because the activated one and now this deactivated one using the activated mold's hilt are both PAINFULLY inaccurate - especially since they're based off friggin' POTJ Obi-Wan's saber! That saber is way too long and has soft details and the wrong band details - especially since the Luke saber doesn't have a band in the movie!

I bought a second of these to use as Luke DS2, I thought cutting the peg down would close the gap in the midsection but it didn't, turns out that gap seems to be from where the peg's flare is, not the top - rats. If anybody can think of a reasonable facsimile of Luke's VERY simple belt (octagonal buckle on simple smooth band) that I could harvest for this use - covering up the midsection and being accurate - please LMK.

DarkArtist
09-22-2007, 06:22 PM
I have to say that this might be one of my favorite Luke's to date actually. While it does look hideous with the bath towel tunic, remove it and you have a fairly decent neutral pose Throne Room Duel Luke. I plan on customizing this figure to give it a little better acurracy as both a TRD Luke and JP Luke.

bigbarada
09-25-2007, 09:01 PM
I'll probably get one to use as an Endor Luke. Because with the plastic skirt of the Saga2 figure, that version will never be able to sit on a Speeder Bike. So I plan to get this one, remove the soft-goods and give him the poncho, belt and helmet of the Saga2 Endor Luke.

JediTricks
09-25-2007, 09:57 PM
This figure's legs are pretty close together, I'm not sure it'll work. I don't see a speederbike around here in easy grasp or I'd just try it right now.

Kidhuman
09-25-2007, 10:10 PM
I passed on this guy and have no interest in getting it. I bought the Tatooine Luke(twice, one for me and one for Slicker, but Cappy then bought Slicker one, so I kept it for the MV) and dont want anohter until a really good Luke likeness comes out.

JEDIpartner
09-26-2007, 01:51 PM
This figure is the pits!!! I don't like the way his black "Elvis: The Vegas Years" scarf is tucked into his belt. The concept is good, but the execution is POOR!!! It's probably the weakest figure in the wave.

JediTricks
09-27-2007, 04:40 PM
This figure is the pits!!! I don't like the way his black "Elvis: The Vegas Years" scarf is tucked into his belt. The concept is good, but the execution is POOR!!! It's probably the weakest figure in the wave.
The vest is tucked into the belt in the movie though. Honestly, I don't think this figure is THAT bad, it's not great but its greatest failing is the vest being a halter top - which is only noticeable from the back. The likeness is Luke-ish, we all liked it when it was on the Saga figure and it's the same face and hair as that figure.

Devo
10-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Crap figure in every way. The innaccurate outfit, the appearance of the softgoods, the balljoint head, the upturned gaze, the bulky hands, the bloodied 'scorch mark', the bulky knee elbow and ankle joints, the legs so close together, the skinny waist, the gap in the torso, and lastly the clothes are a glossy black and boots are a matte finish??? WTF?? Was he wearing Latex in ROTJ?? Worst figure of recent years alongside the new Bespin Han.

The Saga palace version is infinitely superior, swivel elbows aside.

And just what is going on with balljointed limbs? Why do they get it perfectly right on lots of figures and churn out giant bulbous things on other figures? We've even got superskinny VOTC Han with perfectly disguised balljointed elbows, knees and ankles and yet we have other characters whose outfits and overall build lend themselves more to hiding these joints - and manage to screw it up.

bigbarada
10-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Crap figure in every way. The innaccurate outfit, the appearance of the softgoods, the balljoint head, the upturned gaze, the bulky hands, the bloodied 'scorch mark', the bulky knee elbow and ankle joints, the legs so close together, the skinny waist, the gap in the torso, and lastly the clothes are a glossy black and boots are a matte finish??? WTF?? Was he wearing Latex in ROTJ?? Worst figure of recent years alongside the new Bespin Han.

The Saga palace version is infinitely superior, swivel elbows aside.

And just what is going on with balljointed limbs? Why do they get it perfectly right on lots of figures and churn out giant bulbous things on other figures? We've even got superskinny VOTC Han with perfectly disguised balljointed elbows, knees and ankles and yet we have other characters whose outfits and overall build lend themselves more to hiding these joints - and manage to screw it up.

I think it's just a case of Hasbro turning out too many new figures in one year. If they cut the number of new figures they released each year by half, then they would have more time and resources to develop each individual figure. The ball-joints didn't really become a serious problem until Hasbro just started churning out large numbers of under-developed SA figures.

Qui-Long Gone
10-30-2007, 07:23 PM
I think they hit some figures better than others....it just seems like certain characters (Luke, Yoda, Leia, Solo, Windu, Padme, and Old Man Kenobi....basically the main characters) are cursed with poor sculpts....seems you can't win for loosing!

This Luke had a lot of potential and I think some attention to detail (interchangable black glove hand, eyes looking straight instead of up, etc.) would make it a terrific fig...