PDA

View Full Version : Character Options Doctor Who figures.

Pages : 1 [2]

sebillba
10-10-2008, 04:07 AM
Finally got the Classic set, well 7 out of 8 anyway.... I thought I'd missed the boat on these, as I've never seen them at retail, and all the online stores I've been checking have been sold out of most of the figures... but Amazon got them in this week for 6.99 each, which is a good price for these, so I grabbed them all. They arrived yesterday, and whilst I haven't had a chance to open them yet, they look amazing. The only one I couldn't get was Colin Baker, and the cheapest I could find him was 18. Kind of ironic that he's the only one I've had to pay over the odds for, yet he was the only one I didn't really want.... but had to get to complete the Build-a-Droid figure.

Jargo
10-10-2008, 03:22 PM
hate to break it to you but i think there may be a deluxe pack out next year containing the entire K1 robot and the 4th doc.

www.doctorwhotoys.net is posting some very interesting 'rumours' lately about multi-packs and single carded figures. you have to poke around a bit because the navigation on that site is woeful. but they do have mostly good info. unlike certain other who sites that seem to have their heads up their arses.

sebillba
10-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm fine with that, I'm happy to have the whole wave, the K1 robot is just a very nice bonus. I've only opened Tom so far, and he could possibly be my favourite figure in the whole DW line.... fantastic detail and likeness (moreso in the manically smiley head), the heads are easily exchanged and the scarf can be removed, which is a nice touch.

I've not looked at this DW site for a while, I'll have a good look tomorrow. I've just seen the list for Classic Series wave 2 - I'll need to see pics of them, but I don't think I'll be too interested in the whole set.... I'll probably want the Ice Warrior and the Cyberman, not sure what else. Don't think I'll be too bothered about building the Krynoid, but I will likely get sucked in again.

Jargo
10-10-2008, 06:42 PM
I think as long as I can get all the doctors I'll be happy. I'll be even happier if they do the Master and the Rani. Provided it's not the Rani disguised as Mel lol I don't think anyone wants a figure of Bonnie Langford in their collection.
Yeah Gallifreyan timelords and renegade timelords/time travellers is all I really want from the classic line. The monsters and secondary villains don't excite me very much. why bother with a tenth planet cyberman when you can have the lazarus monster or vespiform?

sebillba
10-11-2008, 04:56 AM
I'm the opposite really, I want monsters and aliens, but so not bothered about getting all the Doctors, Tom Baker being the obvious exception... though I guess a line up of all the Doctors together would make a pretty cool display. I didn't even buy the 9th Doctor, as I don't like Christopher Eccleston. But I gotta agree, there's no way I'd want a Bonnie Langford action figure!! :crazed:

TBH though, I don't remember most of the characters from the old series and have to look them up. Most of my nostalgia from this era comes more from the toys than the shows.

Jargo
10-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Ok here are the rumours from www.doctorwhotoys.net. Some seem more feasible than others but i cobbled together everything because Character Options say one thing and do another. Some of this is bound to be fan wishlist as with any rumour list. So pinch of salt must be taken.

The Companions Set is a Tesco exclusive available early October.

Dalek Collectors Set #2 - Imperial Dalek, Renegade Supreme Dalek & 1 Dalek to be confirmed

Third Doctor with Sonic Screwdriver

Seventh Doctor with 3 Variants of Umbrella

Eighth Doctor with changeable Head

Robot mummy with Urn

Ice Warrior with Gun

Morbius Monster with Solon

V9 Robot and Stickers TBC

LAZARUS MONSTER DELUXE- due for release January 2009, full 12" scale figure of the Lazarus Monster

TIME SQUAD GIFT SET- updated Companions Set, this time featuring a new sculpt Rose Tyler, Donna Noble, Martha Jones, Captain Jack, new sculpt Mickey and Jackie Tyler figures available December 2008

MURDER MYSTERY GIFT SET- due out November 2008, including new sculpt Donna Noble, Lady Eddison, Agatha Christie and Deluxe Vespiform

EXPLORATION SET- gift set featuring Martha Jones, two Hath and Jenny, due out February 2009

UNIT SET- gift set featuring Clone Martha, Colonel Mace and two Sontarans, due out February 2009

WAR ON SKARO GIFT SET- based on the time war, including Davros, Destroyed Dalek Caan and the 8th / 9th Doctors

DALEK BATTLE PACK- new version featuring the Supreme Dalek, Davros and a Crucible Dalek with bonus Anomaly Doctor with Catalyser figure

Astrid Peth 5 inch figure from last years Xmas Special Voyage of the Damned is out in December as a single carded figure.

Cyber Shade and Weapons Set, December 2008

Rose Series 4 December 2008

Classic Robot Gift Set containing a Super Voc, a 'Dum' and 2 Voc Robots. The robots will all have unique stickers (not available in standard release - the Super Voc will also have this feature) and some unique accessories including removable corpse markers, Laserson Probes and interchangeable 'damaged' heads.

Deranged Dalek Caan - based on the mutant reveal Dalek, it may be available in a 'Journey's End' partner set to the Stolen Earth set.

Bad Wolf TARDIS, which seems to be an Argos exclusive, will be available for general sale by Christmas.

CO are to release a special set early next year, coinciding with Wave 2, which contains the 4th Doctor with Sonic Screwdriver and a 'special accessory'. This will be good news for those having trouble getting the 'complete' K1 robot figure

We'll definitely see Character release Jabe from Series 1 The End of the World and also a New Series version Time Lord action figure

Possible Series 3 Releases:
Pig Slave 5" Single Card
Doctor Jones 5"
John Smith 5"
Maid Martha 5"
Beige Scarecrow 5"

Possible Series 4 Releases:
Crucible Dalek 5"
Miss Foster 5"
Martha Jones Project Indigo 5" (Forbidden Planet exclusive)
Commander Kess and Klineman Halpen Twin Pack 5"

Possible Set Releases:
Family of Blood Set
Extermination Set
Doctor Set
Exploration Set
The UNIT Set

Possible Classic Releases:
Davros
2nd Doctor
1st Doctor
3rd Doctor
Transmat Dalek Limited to 300
Dalek Collectors Set 2
Dalek Collectors Set 3
Dalek Collectors Set 4
Sutekh Deluxe
Krynoid Deluxe
Tenth Planet Cyberman Clear Plastic Limited to 500

"These releases are very likely apart from the Family of Blood set which is a 'big maybe'.
Martha Jones Project Indigo is a 2009 definite with Forbidden Planet.
The Limited Edition Transmat Dalek is for Memorabilia Show 09 and TP Cyberman is for the Kelvin Hall Exhibition.
Beige Scarecrow and John Smith are currently prototypes."

There will be one wave of figures for every special episode in 2009.

Charles Dickens & 8th Doctor twin pack: 2009 SDCC Exclusives

WAVE 3 of the classic figures:
THE 2ND DOCTOR (Patrick Troughton)
THE 3RD DOCTOR (Jon Pertwee)
SPECIAL WEAPONS DALEK (from 'Rembrance of the Daleks')
THE TARDIS (from Sylvester McCoy era)
BESSIE (from Jon Pertwee era)
WHOMOBILE (Jon Pertwee)

Jargo
10-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Just in: Character Options put this image up of Series four new figures - Riversong, Vashta Nerada spacesuit skeleton, Timelord, Peck the Hath, non RC Davros.

Also in the wave are refreshes of the Sontarans (Trooper and Cmdr. Skorr, Natural and Sigma Ood, Pyrovile high priestess, Planet of the Ood Donna Noble and 10th Doctor with Adipose.

sebillba
10-16-2008, 02:19 AM
Nothing I'm terribly excited about here.... I want a Davros, of course, the others I might pick up if I see them, but doubt I'll go searching for them. As much as I love to get new aliens, the jar-faced Hath aren't my favourite character design... Rum Sleg's cousin should be a cool fig, but Riversong is an easy pass... and the Timelord will fit in well with my classic set, but it's not an essential for me. Maybe I'll be more inspired when I see hi-res pics.

Hopefully the other repacks will show up as well... I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Adipose Doctor when I saw it - I've not seen it since, and it's way too expensive on ebay.... even Amazon are charging 20 quid for it!

Jargo
10-16-2008, 07:02 AM
i saw one in my local woollies and had no cash. if the rumour of miss foster coming in one of the waves is true i'd imagine there will be adipose with her so i might just get that one. i'm not desperate for the adipose though.

the time lord loooks a bit immobile to me. and unless he comes with that vortex viewing portal thing I doubt I'll get him. I like figures to have some context. another figure that goes with them or an accessory. one lone time lord would just look weird. kinda like the gelth zombie or grandma connoly. at least with the hath you can get two or three and make a mini display of them.

i guess a lot also depends on the price. if that goes up again I might end up being hyper selective.

JediTricks
10-16-2008, 11:44 PM
Strangely, I saw the 10th Doctor with Adipose at TRU recently, so weird, that was the only figure there, they had 2 of 'em.

sebillba
10-18-2008, 04:24 AM
I went to Woollies first thing this morning, and they'd had big restocks of DW and IJ, including a lone Adipose Doctor, which I nabbed! :D They've got a 3 for 2 promo on all toys, but I was supposed to be at work, and had already spent too long going through all the IJ battle packs, so didn't have time to take advantage of the offer on the DW fig. And I wasn't going to risk coming back for it later - someone had already tried to grab it from my pile while I was looking at IJ!

JediTricks
10-18-2008, 04:13 PM
I always have to put my figures face-down in the cart when I'm shopping now because of grabby hands. So annoying!

sebillba
10-18-2008, 04:22 PM
He claimed he only wanted to look at the card back! I held it up to show him, but wasn't going to let go of it!

JediTricks
10-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Oh, I learned that lesson the hard way a long time ago, never let it out of your hands, "look with your eyes, not with your hands". :p

sebillba
10-21-2008, 01:39 PM
I read on an Indy forum today that Sainsburys are clearing out all their Indy figures for 2.50 each, including deluxe, so I went to my local branch to see if I could get any custom fodder - couldn't find any IJ at all, but did find a single carded Davros! :thumbsup: They had the Supreme Dalek as well, which I left on the shelf, but when I got home, my partner said I should've got that as well, so I'll try and get back tomorrow and hope it's still there. They were only 6.49 each as well, which is 1.50 cheaper than most stores.

Jargo
10-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Latest from www.doctorwhotoys.net

"Character confirm the release of the following figures:"
Series 4 Martha in U.N.I.T. Uniform with The Osterhagen Key
Series 4 German Woman (keeper of the Osterhagen base)
Series 4 Sarah Jane Smith with Warpstar
Series 4 Wilf Mott & Sylvia Noble 2 Figure Pack
Series 4 Blown Up Dalek Caan *(???????? either deranged Caan or Supreme dalek I think)
Series 4 U.N.I.T. General Sanchez
Series 4 U.N.I.T. Captain Magambo. Turn left
Series 4 Biff, Val Cane & Jethro. Midnight 3 Figure Pack
Series 4 Sky Silvestry. Midnight
Series 4 Dee Dee Blasco & Professer Hobbes. Midnight 2 Figure Pack
Series 4 Midnight tour bus Hostess
Series 4 The Vespiform
Series 4 Lady Eddison with Firestone & Agatha Christie 2 Figure Pack
Series 4 Hath 2 Figure Pack
Series 4 Jenny with gun & Cline with Gun 2 Figure Pack

The Jenny action figure is set to be released in late December or early January. Character also plan to release a series of family figure sets starting with 4 Jackie Tylers (all in iconic costumes)

Definitely "confirmed" are Series 4 Rose Tyler, Mickey Smith & Davros with opening chest as well as S4 Donna with Doctor's Hand accessory & Human Doctor twinpack

Silence in the Library Set featuring River Song with exclusive diary, Vashta Nerada, Donna Node & Cal with Dr. Moon.

The Journey's End Set featuring Duplicate Doctor, Deranged Dalek Caan & Wilfred Mott with Telescope.

"Character are set to release The Three Doctors classic gift set with doctors William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee as seen in the four part serial The Three Doctors (1972)".

Sarah Jane Adventures figures reprise:
SJA Series 1 & 2 Luke Smith Action Figure
SJA Series 1 & 2 Maria Jackson Action Figure
SJA Series 1 & 2 Clyde Langer Action Figure
SJA Series 1 Andria Yates & Trickster 2 Figure Pack
SJA Series 1 & 2 Alan Jackson & Chrissie Jackson (Maria's Parents) 2 Figure Pack
SJA Series 2 Martin Trueman & Possessed Clyde Langer 2 Figure Pack
SJA Series 2 Paul Langer & Carla Langer (Clyde's Parents) 2 Figure Pack
SJA Series 2 Rani Chandra Action Figure
SJA Series 2 Gita Chandra & Haresh Chandra (Rani's Parents) 2 Figure Pack
SJA Series 2 Ms. Wormwood & Sontaran Commander Kaagh 2 Figure Pack
SJA Series 2 Odd Bob The Clown & Elijah Spellman 2 Figure Pack

Beast
10-23-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't collect the line. But saw this over on Movie Maniacs, and figured I'd link.

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=mmnews2.setup&category=movies&topic=29&show_article=24

Sounds like they're doing the BAF concept now as well. It says collect them to build a robot, but it sounds more like that creature that that old guy turned into after going through that machine. Considering the stinger and such.

Kidhuman
10-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Man, everyone wants in on the gimmick. It sounds like they are doing the Wasp from The Unicorn and the Wasp

Jargo
10-23-2008, 08:05 PM
yeah that'll be the vespiform. which was going to come in a unicorn and the wasp boxed set but it now looks like they split the figures into separately carded items and the wasp into the BAF. still, that could just be for the US. Like i said earlier, Character Options says one thing and does another, like they said no river song, no companions family members, no female characters unless they were significant characters, no more sarah jane adventures figures........ don't believe it til you see it carded i say.

Old Fossil
10-29-2008, 03:55 PM
The classic Three Doctors gift set sounds sweet! Can't wait to see Pertwee in plastic.:love:

Kidhuman
10-29-2008, 09:48 PM
GEt your Tennant figures now

Jargo
10-30-2008, 12:43 PM
I think there's more than enough tennant figures floating around for everyone to have multiples if they wanted them. Character options haven't been shy about churning them out.

sebillba
11-01-2008, 04:38 AM
Tom Baker was guest host on "Have I Got News For You" (a satirical quiz show) last night, and he was hilarious, so eccentric. He had his own action figure with him, and seemed quite excited with his "doll" and its interchangable heads! He said something along the lines of "...and for those people who didn't like the Tom Baker doll, just wait for the Sylvester McCoy doll.... you'll really hate that!!" Priceless!!

Jargo
11-01-2008, 07:28 AM
I missed it but have it recorded. can't wait. hope it's as good as the episode with BRIAN BLESSED!!!!

sebillba
11-01-2008, 07:34 AM
I didn't see that one, I stopped watching it regularly years ago, but I love him too.... they're both eccentric legends!

Old Fossil
11-01-2008, 07:56 AM
:love:I'll have to find a link to that somewhere. I just got my Character Options 4th Doctor "doll" last night!... now it's my official "favorite desktop accessory."

sebillba
11-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Check it out here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=omEZcRpF608

Jargo
11-02-2008, 06:31 AM
haha I watched it last night and roared laughing. shame Ian Hislop and Paul Merton weren't more giving. Still even though it was scripted Tom delivered his lines with gusto and aplomb. I think he deserves to have his own show. perhaps a talk show. :)

the guest host interview is jolly good too http://www.bbc.co.uk/haveigotnewsforyou/interviews/interview3.shtml

Old Fossil
11-02-2008, 09:00 AM
"I don't even buy green bananas." :laugh: Hope I can be that funny about my age when I reach that point.

Old Fossil
11-26-2008, 03:26 PM
With the purchase of Ood Sigma, I am beginning to branch out from Classic DW characters into the new series. I have not yet purchased a 10th Doctor, and only plan on buying 1 version.

So: what's the best figure of the 10th Doctor? Any opinions are much appreciated.

Jargo
11-26-2008, 05:56 PM
They're all much of a muchness. depends whether you want him in a brown suit or blue suit. with his coat on or not. with glasses or without.

given that you're basically a classic who collector/fan I would suggest going for the san diego comic con 5th and 10th doc 'Time Crash' 2-pack. both of the figures in that set are different to the regular releases, 5th doc has his celery and different coloured pants and the 10th doc has a different shirt and tie. both come with sonic screwdrivers.

Kidhuman
11-27-2008, 07:23 AM
I might say get the ghost busting 10th doctor or the adipose one

Old Fossil
11-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the opinons, gentlemen.:thumbsup: I am leaning towards the 3-pack that includes Rose and Cassandra.

Again, most kind.

Jargo
11-29-2008, 08:29 AM
we've had galactic heroes, marvel superhero squad, indiana jones adventure heroes and now character options copies the style for doctor who...

http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/news.htm

Old Fossil
11-29-2008, 11:02 AM
"Time Squad"??? Too cute!

On a side note, I'm currently re-watching "The Talons of Weng-Chiang," the old Tom Baker episode. I'd love to see Character add to their Classics line:

1. 4th Doctor in Victorian London (Sherlock Holmes) attire. (This would be a magnificent figure if properly executed!)

2. Leela (Victorian London attire; we of course still need her in her "savage" outfit.)

3. Li H'Sen Chang (another great opportunity for a nice figure). Could come as a 2-pack with Chinese thug.

Beast
12-01-2008, 10:24 AM
we've had galactic heroes, marvel superhero squad, indiana jones adventure heroes and now character options copies the style for doctor who...

http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/news.htm
I'm so in for these. I just got into watching the show on BBC America.

Not a huge fan of the regular figures. But I love the 'Squad' lines.

plasticfetish
12-01-2008, 05:46 PM
we've had galactic heroes, marvel superhero squad, indiana jones adventure heroes and now character options copies the style for doctor who...I suppose this is as good a place as any to repeat just how much I hate that style of figure, and the whole doe-eyed midget version of your favorite characters trend in general.

Jargo
12-01-2008, 06:03 PM
I quite like the design. I'd rather see cartoon deformed versions than manga styling. I just don't see how it's a good idea right now when everyone is penny pinching to start up a whole new line of toys. and it isn't the only one character are doing next year, they've teamed up with the british military to make ten inch figures of the armed forces. which seems like a very insidious form of brainwashing kids early in order to make sure young adults feel more enamoured with the idea of joining up with the forces.

that's very cynical of me i know but i think people should be allowed the freedom to make up their own minds from informed educated standpoints not because their 'toys were cool so the real thing must be'. The british army are hammering people over the head with their recruitment drive as it is. I'm losing interest in what CO have to offer already based on the interviews i've linked to in the past that show what dicks they are. and if they're getting into this kind of venture I don't think i can support them. i'm buying fewer Who figures owing to the rising cost and my shrinking disposable income but there may come a point where i just say enough is enough and walk away altogether.

Beast
12-01-2008, 06:03 PM
I suppose this is as good a place as any to repeat just how much I hate that style of figure, and the whole doe-eyed midget version of your favorite characters trend in general.
Boo!

These type of figures are awesomeness incarnate.

plasticfetish
12-02-2008, 01:16 AM
I quite like the design. I'd rather see cartoon deformed versions than manga styling.I suppose what I don't like is the fact that the whole idea is a bad spin on an older Japanese idea of making an odd version of these (or whatever) characters. I've a bag of "super-deformed" Ultraman figures from 10 years ago around somewhere... maybe I'll dig them up. It's not that I don't like the fun side of it, it's just that I'm not sure why they all need to look like a baby's chew toy.

And I agree about the military toy thing... but it's nothing new. Hasbro was doing it in the '60s with GI Joe long before your military started needing new recruits for the middle east. I don't mind military figures though... I've always been a fan of the old 12-inch Joe line. I suppose it is the fact that a "toy company" would partner up with the military that makes it creepy. But it's probably one of the most ancient plaything ideas around... prepping the kids for a life of war by giving them toy weapons to learn with. (The more things change, the more they stay the same.)

Boo!

These type of figures are awesomeness incarnate.I wanna say that I like them, but I do really think that most western toy companies missed the point with this idea. The Japanese toys always seemed to play up the absurdity factor, while the things that I'm seeing here (and from Hasbro, etc.) are too "cute" looking.

Old Fossil
12-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Anybody here built the K-1 Robot yet? Sebillba, didn't you say you got the complete Classic wave?

I was just wondering how the robot turns out -- if it's a good figure and worth tracking down all the various parts for.

With only the 4th and 5th Doctors and the Zygon in hand so far, I've a bit farther to go yet before I complete the Robot.

Jargo
12-03-2008, 05:12 AM
I'm in the same boat OF.

sebillba
12-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Anybody here built the K-1 Robot yet? Sebillba, didn't you say you got the complete Classic wave?

I was just wondering how the robot turns out -- if it's a good figure and worth tracking down all the various parts for.

Yes I have it, and would definitely recommend. All the parts fit together well, making a good, solid figure, and it's quite an impressive figure, standing at 7.5" tall. The detail is kind of basic, but I guess true to the original prop. There are some nice touches, like little nuts and bolts and tubes on his chest and back. He has articulation at the neck, shoulders (double joints here), waist, hips and feet (jointed "toes" rather than ankles). He also comes with some sort of ray gun. I would've snapped this up had it been released as a deluxe figure, so for a "freebie" from buying the rest of the wave, it's a big :thumbsup: from me.

Jargo, if you're thinking about getting any more of this set, I was in Woolworths and TRU today, and both had them. Seems like Colin Baker is still the rare one though, as he was the only fig I didn't see. I was really surprised to see new stocks of anything in Woolies (considering they've recently announced bankruptcy), so I'm hoping this is a good sign that my main branch will stay open.

Jargo
12-03-2008, 01:32 PM
I checked my local woollies today. they had empty frame cassandra by the millions, the gelth zombie glow in the dark version, the master and SS pentallion spacesuit doctor but nothing else. :(

i've been spending my money on lego lately so i'm a bit behind with Who. there again it's given me chance to really think about what i want and wait to see if multi-packed figures show up single carded. I'll probably have a bit of a splurge in the new year.

Old Fossil
12-03-2008, 05:52 PM
I quite like the design. I'd rather see cartoon deformed versions than manga styling. I just don't see how it's a good idea right now when everyone is penny pinching to start up a whole new line of toys. and it isn't the only one character are doing next year, they've teamed up with the british military to make ten inch figures of the armed forces. which seems like a very insidious form of brainwashing kids early in order to make sure young adults feel more enamoured with the idea of joining up with the forces.

that's very cynical of me i know but i think people should be allowed the freedom to make up their own minds from informed educated standpoints not because their 'toys were cool so the real thing must be'. The british army are hammering people over the head with their recruitment drive as it is. I'm losing interest in what CO have to offer already based on the interviews i've linked to in the past that show what dicks they are. and if they're getting into this kind of venture I don't think i can support them. i'm buying fewer Who figures owing to the rising cost and my shrinking disposable income but there may come a point where i just say enough is enough and walk away altogether.

I've been thinking a lot about what you said here, Jargo, and have come to a realization about Doctor Who toys I own: none of them (out of the 4 I have so far) have weapons. Sure, my Zygon has a Skarasen recall unit, and my 2 Doctors have the sonic screwdriver. But that's it. Now I know other figures have weapons based on their appearance in the series, especially the last 4 seasons. But it is generally very weapons-lite in the DW toy world. Consider just the Classic line as it stands:

4th Doctor
5th Doctor
6th Doctor
Zygon w/recall unit
D84 Robot
SV7 Robot
Sea Devil w/Ray Gun

Seems like I'm missing someone... but at any rate, only 1 "gun" out of the 7 listed. That's what I love about Doctor Who, and where Star Wars and so many other lines fail me. It is too bad about Character getting in on the military toy thing, but I am glad for the more cerebral angle of DW. It really sets them apart for me, albeit subtly.

Old Fossil
12-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Yes I have it, and would definitely recommend. All the parts fit together well, making a good, solid figure, and it's quite an impressive figure, standing at 7.5" tall. The detail is kind of basic, but I guess true to the original prop. There are some nice touches, like little nuts and bolts and tubes on his chest and back. He has articulation at the neck, shoulders (double joints here), waist, hips and feet (jointed "toes" rather than ankles). He also comes with some sort of ray gun. I would've snapped this up had it been released as a deluxe figure, so for a "freebie" from buying the rest of the wave, it's a big :thumbsup: from me.

Thanks, s. Sounds like all kinds of cool.:smoker:

By the way, does anyone know why the 6th Doctor (Colin Baker) figure is so darn expensive? Is he shortpacked or something?

JediTricks
12-05-2008, 04:30 AM
I suppose what I don't like is the fact that the whole idea is a bad spin on an older Japanese idea of making an odd version of these (or whatever) characters. I've a bag of "super-deformed" Ultraman figures from 10 years ago around somewhere... maybe I'll dig them up. It's not that I don't like the fun side of it, it's just that I'm not sure why they all need to look like a baby's chew toy.

And I agree about the military toy thing... but it's nothing new. Hasbro was doing it in the '60s with GI Joe long before your military started needing new recruits for the middle east. I don't mind military figures though... I've always been a fan of the old 12-inch Joe line. I suppose it is the fact that a "toy company" would partner up with the military that makes it creepy. But it's probably one of the most ancient plaything ideas around... prepping the kids for a life of war by giving them toy weapons to learn with. (The more things change, the more they stay the same.)

I wanna say that I like them, but I do really think that most western toy companies missed the point with this idea. The Japanese toys always seemed to play up the absurdity factor, while the things that I'm seeing here (and from Hasbro, etc.) are too "cute" looking.
While I was never a fan of the SD craze of the late '80s and early '90s, the minute I saw Star Wars Playskool, I was in love. There's something that works so well about the way they do those characters, their little happy smiles as they wield their lightsabers and make broad gestures like pointing or using the Force. That said, the "gotta catch 'em all" mentality a lot of folks have hasn't served me at all, I can barely bring myself to buy new 2packs lately, and always only of major characters (and the bounty hunters). Even the vehicles, which I adored at first, are now too boring - the Vader's TIE is very accurate and dull as dishwater; the Skiff I was so excited about at SDCC is so plain in the box I just saw. And I am very fickle with this style, it works for SW, but the Transformers, Indy, and GI Joe ones do absolutely nothing for me, and while I admire the Marvel ones I haven't purchased a single pack.

All that said, these Doctor Who ones look like they could work, there's lots of wild aliens and interesting characters that could be portrayed broadly with this style. But I won't probably buy a single one because I am very choosy now about what I buy.

Jargo
12-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Bought the Sontaran strategem set today. V cool. Not very impressed with the Donna figure. she looks a bit passive and not nearly shouty enough.
The Sontarans are nicely articulated especially the ball joint ankles. makes standing these dudes up a lot easier. and with a little swapping over i got the helmets and weapons to fit right. Definitely going to have to make the transportation chamber for these guys. maybe get another trooper. Easily my favourite who figures since the Judoon.

Old Fossil
12-08-2008, 05:55 PM
I managed to win a 6th Doctor figure on Ebay today for a Buy It Now of $22.95. (Seller accepted my Best Offer.) Still a bit high for my budget but I will just have to bite the bullet on that one.

Still waiting on my 10 Doctor/Rose/Cassandra set I won last week. (Another Best Offer accepted; $22.95 again.)

I'm trying to limit my DW purchases to 1 per week due to the somewhat higher costs of these figures, but self-control is very difficult. I can't wait to finish the K-1 Robot!

Browsing the Ebay listings yesterday, I came across the Time Lord. I had forgotten about him. Looks like a great addition to the line... such iconic garb.

Old Fossil
12-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Doctor 6 arrived today. Not too impressed with this figure. Sculpt is superb and articulation is par for the course, but the paint app on the jacket looks... well, kind of dirty, specially on the pink areas on the figure's left. The head is a fine likeness of Colin Baker, though. I won't complain too much since I really have very little emotional attachment to this incarnation of the Doctor, unlike Tom Baker, Pertwee, Davison, and Tennant.

Colin came with the upper torso of the K-1 Robot, into which I snapped the head and left arm. This is going to be an impressive figure! Gotta get the Sea Devil next.

For my fellow Americans who buy thru Ebay, I got this guy from the seller "thegreatgamester." He has less than stellar feedback (98.5 positive), but that seems to be due to dumb kids buying Pokemon cards from him. I got the figure in just a few days of winning, and will buy from him again. He seems quite receptive to Best Offers of a couple dollars less than the BIN price.:thumbsup:

Old Fossil
12-10-2008, 07:56 PM
As I hate and do not read long lists, I'll narrow it to 10:

1. Brigadier Lethrbridge-Stewart
2. Harry Sullivan
3. Sarah (Pertwee-Baker era)
4. Leela (savage)
5. Leela (Victorian dress)
6. 4th Doctor (Victorian attire)
7. Scaroth, last of the Jagaroth (from "City of Death")
8. Adric
9. Romana II
10. The Master (from "Logopolis"/"Castrovalva")

Hmm. 1 alien... may have to revise list later.

Jargo
12-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Companions. Hmmmm. I'm not sure i'd buy them. I think having each of the doctor's is enough. and some cool alien and robot foes. the master and the rani i'd buy. and various gallifrey dudes. guards and valeyard and other high ranking timelords. The masters tardis as a marble support column. maybe the whomobile. I think a Brigadier and Mike Yates twin pack could work.
the list of aliens is too long really. i know for wave 2 there's supposed to be an ice warrior and robot mummy, tenth planet cyberman and the morbius monster. but they don't really inspire me. i'd like to see some of the blobby tentacled non humanoid shape aliens. even if it was a Sil the mentor and lord kiv twin pack. larval and adult wyrm, krynoid, fendahl, or macra.

although i do like the look of scaroth in the white suit with the wide collared black shirt and tourquoise cravat. very dapper.

EDIT:
I just picked up the journey's end multipack and have mixed feelings regarding quality of the figures but at least i got my davros and supreme dalek. plus I got it at Tesco here in the UK where there's up to 60% off all toys at the moment. I saved 5 on the multipack getting it at 14.97 and picked up the natural ood and ood sigma for 3.18 each. figures seem to retail at About 8 so that's a darned good saving. stock was very limited though.

Old Fossil
12-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Nice purchase, Jargo. I do not have a Dalek yet but will hopefully pick up the Classic Dalek set later on. I wish this line was on regular store shelves here in the US.

My 10th Doctor/Rose/Cassandra set came in today. Wish Rose and the Dr. were more articulated but the paint and sculpts are very very good. Came with a nice background I decided to keep.

I actually watched most of the Pertwee "The Sea Devils" story today at work. The story was solid and the Sea Devils themselves were not as bad as I imagined they would be. Missed the ending, though.:sad:

Jargo
12-11-2008, 08:24 PM
i've just been browsing ebay and i see what you mean about the 6th doc going for big bucks. spotted a few nice cheap items though. loose stuff and divided up sets. i just can't settle for one of an army builder. for some reason it works best on display in threes. don't know why. possibly an OCD quirk of mine.

also saw some crazy prices on ebay. someone wanted 20 for lazlo. you can't give him away. the UK is flooded with lazlo figures. and the GITD gelth zombie and lilith.

Jargo
12-12-2008, 10:13 PM
just had a wee splurge on ebay and bought:

Lilith (for the orb accessory and she was a steal. mere pennies.)
sontaran trooper (slowly building a squad)
Astrid peth and two robot hosts (loose so i didn't have to get another doctor)
Scarecrow drone (grey outfit)
Professor yana and The master regeneration (loose so i didn't get another doctor or martha)
Captain jack in long coat
Novice hame (nearly got a second to customise but decided one would do)
Chip (loose so i didn't get another rose or that stupid cassandra empty frame)
Pyrovile and roman soldier
Star poet (loose. who needs a sarah jane in pink?)

I was bored and browsing........

sebillba
12-13-2008, 06:50 AM
Nice haul Jargo. I've just bought a loose Dead Planet Dalek from ebay - it's probably the least interesting of the classic 3-pack, but it reminds me of the old Denys Fisher(?) talking dalek I had as a kid. I'll display it with Tom Baker and K-9 for my ultimate "vintage" nostalgia set. :D

Jargo
12-13-2008, 08:17 AM
I fancy getting the genesis dalek. my lasting memory of classic daleks is the dark grey pepperpot. especially those cheapo ones they made for destiny of the daleks with the bombs strapped to them, that wobbled as the operators walked. Actually a movellan figure would be kinda cool.

I hadn't realised just how many figures I was behind with. I've cleared my star wars stuff away so i can cram more Who stuff on the shelves. The way things are going I'll have to put my muppets collection away as well.

sebillba
12-13-2008, 10:05 AM
I don't have room for a permanent DW display, I've just had to buy another storage box for them, as I had them scattered all over the place. I can't bring myself to put away my SW figs, as I've invested too much into them, but I've recently put away my Megos so I could have a shelf just for Indy.

My partner also collects Muppets, so I gave up my POTA shelves last year to display those.

Old Fossil
12-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Some new figures shown on www.doctorwhotoys.net (http://www.doctorwhotoys.net), including bannakaffalatta.

Jargo
12-14-2008, 09:55 AM
as i see it there's six 'new' figures: bannakaffalatta, Hal Korwin, hologram 9th Doctor, Aged 10th doctor, Purple clockwork robot, and Captain jack without the long coat.

I may be wrong here but it looks like there's a 'The next Doctor' Cyberleader at the back of the picture with the black face plate and ear handles. the lighting is off and the pic is small. however, some of those figures i've seen recently as customised on DWT.N or ebay and this article was posted in their rumours section so i'm taking it with a big pinch of salt.
DWT.N are getting quite bad at not flagging up customs and rumours clearly enough.

Old Fossil
12-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Just won the SV-7 Robot from the Classic line for US $17, shipped! I am very excited. Luv those "Robots of Death" in all three colors. I always thought the Doctor should've taken D84 with him at the end of the episode...

Now I only need D84, and Magnus Greel & Mr. Sin to complete the K-1 Robot. What fun, building this one! Much more satisfying than the SW Build-A-Droid thing.

Jargo
12-16-2008, 04:08 AM
this should please you OF http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/cybercontrollercollectandbuild.htm

Old Fossil
12-16-2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks for that, Jargo. I've been secretly hoping for a classic Cyberman for some time. Love the 'quaintness' of the old Cyberman design.:)

Jargo
12-16-2008, 02:39 PM
They don't really do anything for me. I like the new Cybers too much.

Also due out is John smith's 'Journal of impossible things' prop facsimile. Looks like a cool thing to own. though it seems a little short on pages. http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/journalofimpossiblethings.htm

captain jack's wrist vortex manipulator http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/jacksvortexmanipulator.htm

River Song's Sonic screwdriver http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/riversongsonicscrewdriver.htm

The next Doctor Cyber leader voice changer helmet http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/cybermanvoicechanger.htm

JediTricks
12-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Wow, those are Cybermantastic. :p

Dude, those are nifty role-play items! I bet TRU doesn't have the fortitude to carry that Cyberman Leader helmet, but I'd love to see them try.

Old Fossil
12-18-2008, 07:52 PM
They don't really do anything for me. I like the new Cybers too much.

I like the new ones also. In all honesty, the Cybermen to me never represented one of the Doctor's major nemeses, though I know they are. Having watched primarily the Tom Baker years before getting into the new series, it was all the Master and the Daleks; the Cybermen were only in one, or maybe two, of Tom's episodes. I suppose they just didn't fit well enough with the scifi-horror trend of those years.

I probably won't build-a-droid that wave.

Old Fossil
12-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Been trolling thru Ebay tonight. There are virtually no Flight-Control TARDISes for sale here in the US. Even Entertainment Earth is sold out.:sad:

Magnus Greel & Mr. Sin from the Classic wave are in short supply here in the States as well.

Jargo
12-18-2008, 09:55 PM
it's colin baker that's in short supply here. i've seen loads of magnus greel tonight. or it feels like i have. been trawling ebay too. hundreds of pages. my eyes are boggled. also laughed quite hard at some of the prices on buy it now stuff. got my eye on a clockwork robot in black.anyone dares buy it overnight and i'll hunt them down and glue their gonads to a telephone line.

Kidhuman
12-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Been trolling thru Ebay tonight. There are virtually no Flight-Control TARDISes for sale here in the US. Even Entertainment Earth is sold out.:sad:

Magnus Greel & Mr. Sin from the Classic wave are in short supply here in the States as well.

http://www.whona.com/

www.jrstoyworld.com

Try those two places, I ordered from them and they are pretty good with shipping.

Old Fossil
12-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks KH. Their stocks are low or sold out on many items as well. I imagine most e-tailers will be replenished on into the new year though.

Old Fossil
12-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Picked up a Novice Hame from an Ebay Buy It Now auction. Looks to be well-articulated. Now I gotta get the Face of Boe. Watched a review of it on YouTube last night, and it looks fun, and imposing.

Jargo
12-20-2008, 06:52 AM
all my figures as listed above have arrived. Lilith is the piece of crud i expected but everything else is cool. I took the silly wings off the star poet and she looks a lot better though i need to find a better stand for her. or maybe hang her from the bottom of a shelf so she floats above other figures.
I might get the gelth zombie now if they do miss hartigan and the other doctor from this years christmas special. didn't see much point in only having one figure in victorian costume. i do like to have some context for figures. and currently loads of people and stores are selling the gelth zombie for peanuts.

oh and www.drwhotoys.net have got a very small pic of packaged time squad figures.

Jargo
12-23-2008, 04:56 PM
bagged that clockwork man in black coat i was after. it's really stupid though coz a while back i couldn't move for these clockwork men and now i finally get round to them they've all gone and i end up paying double the retail.

I found a lil tidbit today while skimming through Who sites. http://planetgallifrey.blogspot.com/ it was on I think. there's a clip of the commentary track for the christmas special where russel T. and Julie gardiner are discussing random things and mention the easter special. and the return of a certain classic era foe. something about Nimon. now if you know of Nimon you'll know it was a really bad costume. and not a great character so I would advise ignoring this tidbit and not believing it. Russel T likes to throw red herrings out to mess with the spoiler hunters heads. having said that, he did bring the macra, another of the lamest ever Who foes..........

also planet gallifrey is run by a lady known as Jess and the speculation in the comments is hilarious. she has plenty of videos of episodes linked to if you want to catch stuff. especially stuff normally only available on the bbc site.

Old Fossil
12-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Over the past week I've received SV7 and D84, the robots from the Classic line. I knew I'd love 'em, and I do. The detail on the "hair," the fine lines on the art deco-like faces, the texture of their outfits... Character did their homework here. SV7's eyes even have a tiny hint of golden colour, and the slight green tinge to his face and elements of the outfit is just right. Interestingly, D84 came without his numeric designation painted on, as did SV7; instead, D84 came with a small label sheet, so one may create their own "Dumb" robot: D64, D84, D33, and D88. I of course applied the D84 label.

My only complaint about these two robots is that they do not stand as sturdily as other DW figures in the line. They have knee articulation (though their tunics hamper this somewhat), but that does not help much. Some ankle articulation would have been a nice addition.

Looking forward to the regular green "Voc" robot in the next Classic wave! May even buy multiples of that one, if they (as I understand they do) come with the label sheet.

Jargo
12-24-2008, 07:00 AM
interesting. i'd read that there was going to be a set of all three voc robots that contained stickers. maybe that's been shelved and instead they've made a running change.
now that the cyberman has been moved from classics wave two to a separate wave of all cybers it leaves a hole in wave two's line-up. The only figure i've heard about that's been confired for that wave by character is the 7th Doctor. who comes with at least one umbrella accessory. apart from the initial announcement I've seen nothing to confirm that the Ice warrior, Robot mummy or Morbius monster are still planned. And although pictures have been seen of the prototypes there's still no word on whether Bessie or the classic TARDIS are coming.

Old Fossil
12-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Well I finally caved and did an Ebay BIN on the Flight Control TARDIS from a UK seller. Total amounted to a little over US $34, which is better than pretty much any US seller I've seen. So now the great waiting game begins while my Blue Box begins its trek across the globe. Will probably have to turn to the UK again for Magnus Greel and Mr. Sin, in order to finish the K-1 Robot.

Waiting too for a response on a Best Offer for the Companions set. I desperately want K9, and Sarah Jane in the black jacket, and need Martha and Donna. The Rose will be a duplicate, may give it to my daughter; and I could care less for Astrid, seems they could have included Mickey instead, since Astrid never really got to travel with the Doctor.

Getting a bit antsy for images of the next Classic wave...

JediTricks
12-28-2008, 04:59 PM
$34 is a good price, is that with shipping? I didn't see it cheaper than that at SDCC from the few places that had it. EE has it for $40 plus shipping, that means the cheapest you'd likely find it in the US is $30.

Jargo
12-28-2008, 07:14 PM
the brand new updated version is due out anyday. it has - wait for it - badwolf written on the side in mock grafitti.
To be honest, even though the cynic in me hates this i'll buy it for background filler. Shove it on my dalek shelf with a spare 9th Doctor.
I wish they'd do a few larger accessories. or action figure sized vehicles. The Sontaran ship all globular and the Sontaran transporter cube,Captain Jack's ship, A UNIT Jeep, The clockwork robots dissecting table, stuff like that.
There's lots of figures but not an awful lot of stuff to have them interact with. it's all very well shoving out scores of daleks and re-issuing the doctor every ten minutes but most people's imaginations can only stretch so far. I'd be a bit bored by now if i was a kid.

JediTricks
12-28-2008, 07:22 PM
I want them to release the Flight Control Tardis at TRU here in the US, that would add a lot of credibility to TRU as a Dr Who outlet. But not with the graffiti. :p

Old Fossil
12-28-2008, 07:36 PM
$34 is a good price, is that with shipping? I didn't see it cheaper than that at SDCC from the few places that had it. EE has it for $40 plus shipping, that means the cheapest you'd likely find it in the US is $30.

Yessir, $34.74 was my cost, shipped. There are quite a few reasonably priced ones on Ebay, though they're all in the UK.

Got the Face of Boe yesterday, very cool piece, esp. with Novice Hame at his side. Very well detailed on the face and the "tank."

Jargo
12-28-2008, 08:56 PM
There's been talk for a while that a classic TARDIS is coming as well as Bessie the yellow vintage car driven by the 3rd and 4th Doctors. Also the Whomobile as driven by the 3rd Doctor. Apparently they were seen in a trade catalogue but nothing has been made official.

I'm not sure about my interest in any of those items. I probably wouldn't buy the TARDIS because I like the modern TARDIS better. The vclassic one looks too beaten up.

I definitely don't really like Bessie but if the 3rd doctor could fit in it without looking stupid I'd give it serious thought.

The Whomobile i would buy probably. It's such a craptacular vehicle. It would fit right in with the classic monsters and villains. The Zygon and Sea Devil rubber suit monsters especially. Even the K-1 robot. The Whomobile is a little slice of 70's low budget sci-fi in itself.

What I'd really like though is The Master's marble pillar TARDIS. With a suitably attired Master. I'd rather have that than something like the Morbius monster or robot mummy. The pillar TARDIS really demonstrated the bigger on the inside aspect of the TARDIS design. Plus I love that the master had the use of his TARDIS's chameleon circuit. My favourite TARDIS camouflage was when it was disguised as a period fireplace. low budget sci-fi really is an understatement.....

Old Fossil
12-28-2008, 09:33 PM
I'd buy Bessie for sure, though you're right about the "craptacular"-ness of the Whomobile and its fitting in with classic robots and monsters.

I'm having difficulty working up any enthusiasm for a robot mummy or the Morbius monster. We need a classic Master.

And Leela, for chrissakes.

Old Fossil
12-29-2008, 08:37 PM
The Series 4 Time Lord figure seems uncommon among US sellers on Ebay at present. Only found 2 US listings tonight for the single carded figure. Most listings are for UK sellers. The Time Lord figure is one of 6 figures left on my list to get, and seems to be the scarcest right now. Maybe it's because it's a Series 4 figure, and more quantities are on the way?...

Bought the carded Dalek Sec (non-hybrid) on Ebay last night. Will probably be my only Dalek figure. May pick up Damaged Dalek Thay at some point, but I don't see myself getting too many Daleks. I'm quickly running out of space for Who toys.

Old Fossil
12-29-2008, 09:41 PM
I had not noticed this on the "Rumors" page of doctorywhotoys.net, but sounds interesting. Vampires!

"Character are rumoured to be releasing a box set from the season 18 story State of Decay featuring the 4th Doctor in his burgundy outfit, and the vampire Three Who Rule - Zargo, Camilla and Aukon.

Wave 2 of the classic figure releases are rumoured to have a brief synopsis of each character on the back of the packaging."

Jargo
12-30-2008, 07:53 PM
hmmm. well we've seen the cyber wave, the 2nd wave is supposedly Ice warrior, Morbius monster, Robot mummy, 7th and 8th Doctors, green Voc robot and build a figure Krynoid. I think this boxset is probably going to remain a rumour.

Here's a page of timesquad pics. http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/timesquad.htm

sebillba
12-31-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm really liking the look of the Time Squad figures. I didn't want to start another collection, and thought I might just pick up a few of my favourites, but these 5-packs look like being good value, and will be too hard to pass up on.

Old Fossil
12-31-2008, 11:41 AM
Seems a bit villain-heavy. No Rose or Martha, or Captain Jack. Could do with a Judoon captain, too.

Old Fossil
12-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Just went on a Buy It Now binge on Ebay. My PayPal account hasn't cooled down yet. Got:

Time Lord
9th Doctor (SDCC green shirt)
Judoon Captain

Did a Best Offer for Davros.

Only thing I'm really needing now is Magnus Greel & Mr. Sin. Gonna have to wait a week or two first.

I decided to pass on Sontaran figures altogether, though they look nice; and though the collection won't be complete without the Master, I can't muster up any enthusiasm for the ones on the market now.

Not sure what direction my DW collection will go now. May wait to see the next wave of Classics. Hopefully they'll be shown at Toy Fair.

Jargo
01-01-2009, 05:41 AM
Oooh go you. I was going to get the SDCC 9th doc but decided to get the regular one and just repaint the shirt to save a few pennies.

I got the sontaran strategem box set and an extra trooper. I've read that there's a Sontaran commander Kaagh coming in the next Sarah Jane Adventures wave. so might have to grab that. They're decently articulated but they don't hold accessories well. They catch the light though, really stand out on a shelf full of figures.

yes, hopefully there will be some new stuff shown at Toyfair. pictures are never forthcoming from the UK Toyfair. which is a shame. but with no regular episodes this year maybe they'll relent and allow photographs.

Old Fossil
01-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Jargo, you going to army-build any of these? Sontarans, maybe?

Jargo
01-01-2009, 09:17 PM
well not army build. just don't have the room but I work on the principle that for every lead character there should be two minions so my judoon captain has two troopers and Posessed toby zed has two ood and ood sigma has two natural ood. if there's going to be three sontaran leaders then each gets a trooper. it'll still look representative of an army type force. I think six is my maximum. though with daleks that number is void. I have a shelf devoted to daleks because i have so many. plus the pig guards and so on.

three just works though. it's a magic number. shelf displays look so much better to me arranged that way. I was going to display by episode but there aren't enough figures from each episode to do that justice.

Kidhuman
01-02-2009, 11:11 AM
I need to get me a Martha Jones figure. Only "good guy" I dont have from the new series.

Old Fossil
01-04-2009, 12:01 AM
well not army build. just don't have the room but I work on the principle that for every lead character there should be two minions so my judoon captain has two troopers and Posessed toby zed has two ood and ood sigma has two natural ood. if there's going to be three sontaran leaders then each gets a trooper. it'll still look representative of an army type force. I think six is my maximum. though with daleks that number is void. I have a shelf devoted to daleks because i have so many. plus the pig guards and so on.

three just works though. it's a magic number. shelf displays look so much better to me arranged that way. I was going to display by episode but there aren't enough figures from each episode to do that justice.

Yeah, I agree three is good, even for Star Wars figs. Good suggestion for the Judoon, I may do that since the troopers are pretty cheap.

I need to get me a Martha Jones figure. Only "good guy" I dont have from the new series.

I got the one that comes in the "Companions" set. It's very well sculpted, as are the rest of the Companions. I had looked at getting her single-carded, as it is relatively inexpensive, but I had no other Companions except Rose, so it ended up being more practical for me to get the set. (Though I didn't really need Astrid Peth.)

Love love LOVE the Sarah Jane figure in the black jacket. Superb sculpt! Not too old-looking, not too young. I have her posed between the 4th and 10th Doctors. I had such a huge crush on Elizabeth Sladen as a kid, way more than for Carrie Fisher.:love:

Kidhuman
01-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Actually, I dont have a Donna figure either. I have one Rose, Mickey and Capt Jack. I might order the companion set if I have some cash laying about over the next few weeks.

Old Fossil
01-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Actually, I dont have a Donna figure either. I have one Rose, Mickey and Capt Jack. I might order the companion set if I have some cash laying about over the next few weeks.

It comes with K-9, too, if you don't already have him. The set cost me around $55, which works out to about $9-10 per figure.

Jargo
01-04-2009, 09:08 PM
I weakened. Just bought 2 Judoon troopers, 2 Sycorax warriors from Character's online store as it's the only place i can find Judoon at a decent price. And got 2 Ood, Sanctuary base Doctor w/ satan pit urns and possessed Toby Zed for just 9.99 inc. shipping on ebay.

The prices on the 6th Doctor on ebay are just ridiculous now. I'm not paying 20 for a figure. Not when there's a refresh wave of classics series 1 due out soon.

Old Fossil
01-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I weakened. Just bought 2 Judoon troopers, 2 Sycorax warriors from Character's online store as it's the only place i can find Judoon at a decent price. And got 2 Ood, Sanctuary base Doctor w/ satan pit urns and possessed Toby Zed for just 9.99 inc. shipping on ebay.

The prices on the 6th Doctor on ebay are just ridiculous now. I'm not paying 20 for a figure. Not when there's a refresh wave of classics series 1 due out soon.

Nice haul! And it's not weakness, it's confident decision-making.:pleased: Would love to see some pics of your display sometime.

Finally joined the forum at doctorwhoforum.com. Lot going on there, looks like.

Jargo
01-05-2009, 06:19 AM
I'm in the process of sorting the shelves out. had to take everything down when we had the heating system installed so my partner put stuff back while i was away. plus I've bought a lot since so it needs putting into order. I was thinking about taking pictures though. I'm just so slow at getting round to doing things.

Old Fossil
01-05-2009, 06:32 PM
The Time Lord figure came in the mail today. Gotta say, it's one beautiful figure! Of course it's basically a statue, though he can be posed with his hands folded at his old man tummy. But the detail is very fine. He really stands out among other DW figures. He looks a bit like Cardinal Borusa, one of my favorite pompous old windbags from the Tom Baker years.

I would like to see other Time Lord figures, in gold and/or white.

Jargo
01-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Me too. Well, Gallifreyans.

Lord President, white and gold robes
Councillor Hedin, red and gold robes
The Inquisitor, white robes
Chancellor Goth, mustard yellow outfit
Commentator Runcible, white and grey outfit
The Valeyard, black and silver outfit with skullcap
Cardinal Borusa, burgundy outfit
Chancellory guard captain, version without the big white padded shoulders
Chancellory guard, red and white uniform
4th Doctor in Prydonian robes.

Plus release the current series 3 timelord again with a new head bearing the resemblence of the black actor who was in the young Master scene.

The Vortex viewing portal should be done as well and packed as a deluxe with the young Master. Maybe shove a light inside the portal to backlight the vortex and make it more vivid.

Jargo
01-06-2009, 10:48 AM
good news http://www.toynewsmag.com/news/30701/Character-renews-Doctor-deal

oh and I bought the Pyrovile high priestess and a couple of Vashta Nerada.

Kidhuman
01-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Finally joined the forum at doctorwhoforum.com. Lot going on there, looks like.

I am on there as Captain Funtime, look me up. I mostly post in the Paradise Towers section.

Old Fossil
01-06-2009, 10:00 PM
I am on there as Captain Funtime, look me up. I mostly post in the Paradise Towers section.

Will do, KH. My username is Cardinal Borusa (how original, I know). Still exploring the forums there. Lots to navigate.

Bought a Damaged Dalek Thay on Ebay tonight. Had to get just 1 more Dalek to go with Dalek Sec. I'm such a sucker.

Waiting on the Davros figure still.

SDCC 9th Doctor (green shirt) came in yesterday. Very well done figure. I never got the Series 1 version but this one is stellar. Really stands out in his black outfit among the other Doctors. Good detailing, from the mole on his cheek to the furrowed brow. I think his neck's a little thick but otherwise I can't complain.

Bring on McGann and McCoy!

Old Fossil
01-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Still mulling over whether or not to get a Master figure. It seems there are two: one with, and one without the 2 Toclafane spheres.

Which is better? I read somewhere that one has a "waxy" finish, while the other does not. I would rather get one that is not waxy, but after browsing the Ebay listings I am not sure which is which.

Advice, anyone?

sebillba
01-07-2009, 02:50 PM
I got the first release, which is cast in a glossy, flesh-coloured plastic, rather than being painted - I guess you could call it waxy. The Editor is the same, as is the Doctor in red Pentallion suit. I actually like it, as I'm not a fan of painted faces, though the finish is a little shiny even for my liking.

I've never seen the second release, but I guess you might as well go for that, if it comes with the spheres.

Old Fossil
01-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks sebillba!!! That clears things up for me.

Flight Control TARDIS arrived yesterday from the UK. I have to say it's clever, fun, charming... better than many dates I've had.:yes: Well worth the money. Can't imagine any DW figure collection being complete without it.
My 4-year-old daughter was mesmerized by the thrumming sound and the interior light when the doors are open. She said, "Daddy, that's your Doctor Who!"

I feel I should start slowing down some on the DW collecting now. Might get the Master after next payday, then take a break for a few weeks.

Jargo
01-08-2009, 06:07 PM
My judoon troopers and sycorax warriors and pyrovile priestess arrived this morning. Nothing really exciting.

Have just bought Adipose with Doctor, 6th Doctor, 9th Doctor, Novice Hame sister of plenitude and Brannigan

I've decided to target River Song, The Timelord and a couple of Hath next.

If I don't get the rest of the classics wave I'm not too bothered now. I have the five Doctors at last. roll on 1,2,3,7,8.

Old Fossil
01-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Davros and the Judoon Captain came in yesterday. Here I echo Jargo's "nothing really exciting." Great detailing on both but they're essentially decorations for my DW shelf now. Wouldn't have minded getting the RC Davros but that's above my pay grade.:tired:

Bought the Master w/Toclafane on Ebay last night.

I'm about to wrap this line up. I have actually been considering getting Brannigan for some time, and as I may have 1 spot left on my shelf I may go with him. Interested to hear your opinion on him after you receive him, Jargo.:yes:

sebillba
01-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Brannigan is one one of my favourite figures in the whole line!! :love: But then I'm kind of biased when it comes to cats, and would love more cat people! I also thought it was a shame they made Novice Hame in 12", but not Brannigan - I would've bought both if I could, but had no use for Hame on her own.

I nearly bought a couple of figures in TRU this week - Jack Harness in long coat, but I couldn't justify spending 7.99 on him (though I tried to find him cheaper online when I got home, and couldn't find him anywhere near this price), also the Screaming Angel and Martha Jones (first release) - both were only 2.99 each, but even at that price, I didn't want them enough. (They also had Brannigan for 2.99, so lmk if you can't find him for a good price, though it may be a couple of weeks till I can get back there again.)

I was looking for the Vashta wave, but no luck, so I've now pre-ordered from play.com the Vashta Nerada, Time Lord, Hath Peck and one of the classic Cybermen - the VN shows as being in stock now, until you get to confirm the order, when it shows as out of stock, so hopefully it's just due in with the rest of the wave.

Old Fossil
01-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Image of the Vespiform. (http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/vespiform.htm)

Easy pass for me.

JediTricks
01-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Flight Control TARDIS arrived yesterday from the UK. I have to say it's clever, fun, charming... better than many dates I've had.:yes: Well worth the money. Can't imagine any DW figure collection being complete without it.Must... resist... urge to... BUY!!!

It's so hard being a casual collector of this line.

Jargo
01-09-2009, 09:46 PM
I believe as of christmas 2008 the TARDIS console room playset has been discontinued.

this is apparently the BAF wave featuring the large vespiform. a pack of 25 adipose with a BAF part doesn't seem like a great idea to me. nor does re-releasing a wave that's just been out and is currently selling well in the high street and online. it makes no sense. though the vespiform does look alright as large figures go.

I really think they should just release the big wasp with a 1920's Donna and give Donna a magnifying lens accessory. call the set vespiform attack and give it context. the whole BAF deal is ridiculous to pursue in the current economic landscape. consumers are going to target particular items they want and won't be suckered into buying figures they don't want just to get a part of something else. the reaper sold well enough on it's own and that was an ugly toy. the vespiform is colourful enough to attract attention and big enough to look good on a shelf.

anyone else sick of the BAF phenomenon?

sebillba
01-10-2009, 04:52 AM
anyone else sick of the BAF phenomenon?

Kind of.... it's a cool idea, and fun for completists to get the reward of an extra free figure, but apart from the K1 Robot, all the DW BAFs I've seen are an easy pass for me. And I've been "forced" to buy a couple of SW figures I didn't really want just to complete the droid.... though I guess that's the idea. :rolleyes:

What really peed me off was when Hasbro changed the pack-ins for the UK release of wave TLC 4, so we had to buy 7 figures insead of the usual 6 to get all the parts... the 7th figure being a slightly repainted clone. :upset: I've got a question about this in the Hasbro Q&A which could really use some support from UK collectors Jargo!! :p

Old Fossil
01-10-2009, 01:30 PM
There looks to be another BAF, for the Gelth.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Jargo
01-10-2009, 01:42 PM
BAF is a very very bad idea.

I think the Gelth wave is a hoax. and if it is real then the Gelth is a really lame figure to use as a BAF or otherwise. I think the reason Jabe isn't pictured is that she's the only figure due out and the rest are customs.

the alleged Vespiform wave contains a pack of 25 adipose. who in their right mind would buy that? it's a pegwarmer waiting to happen the same as the gelth zombie, grandma connolly, Prof Yana, the editor and empty frame cassandra.

If CO are actually considering any of this I say they've seriously lost the plot and need new management to oversee the line.

Old Fossil
01-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Sorry! Gelth rumour of the day. (http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/rumouroftheday.htm)

Kidhuman
01-10-2009, 02:46 PM
http://www.action-figure.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=24238

http://www.gallifreyone.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?id=EkFEyEuEuEpvaRwaBR&tmpl=newsrss&style=feedstyle

Seems the Time Squad is set for a March release with 2 and 5 packs. And of course the 5 packs have no Doctors and special figs

Jargo
01-11-2009, 10:52 AM
The only time squad figure i like is the cyberman. the daleks look a little limp. like an old man's dingaling.

Old Fossil
01-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Was talking to a friend of mine last night, who said he was having difficulty finding the 4th Doctor classic figure on Ebay. I told him he needed to refine his search.

I was mistaken! I just did a quick search, and there don't seem to be any 4th Doctors on Ebay. I have mine, but I can't believe there are NONE to be had there!

Jargo
01-11-2009, 01:08 PM
i think he's being re-released this year. recall i read something about character doing something 'special' that included the 4th doctor. And have you tried amazon? done a worldwide ebay search? Oddly enough i've been getting one or two figures from the states rather than home. just keep looking and hunting. it'll turn up when you least expect it at a fairly decent price.

sebillba
01-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Can you order from play.com? They appear to have him in stock there: http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/5489462/Doctor-Who-5-Classic-Tom-Baker-Fourth-Doctor-Figure-With-Robot-Hip/Product.html

Old Fossil
01-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks guys, I'll pass the info. along to my friend.

Jargo
01-12-2009, 02:34 PM
http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/gelthphantom.htm

the Gelth BAF wave.

The Gelth looks really bad. I don't even know if this is real. the site offers no information on it. The picture shows the wizened diddy Doctor but as it's photoshopped montage it's out of scale. Something doesn't look right about the new figures. Bannakaffalatta, Jabe, Clockwork man, all look off to me. Not to the usual Character Options standard. Hmmmmm. Gonna play wait and see with this one I think. still not 100% convinced it's a real wave. I've seen some very clever custom stuff done in cast plastics recently...

Jargo
01-12-2009, 06:44 PM
More 'new' stuff. Forbidden planet has them up for pre-order so i guess it's real. bizarre but real.....

dobby doctor comes with old doctor. and i shoved the vespiform pic in for good measure

Old Fossil
01-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Finally found a US seller for Magnus Greel & Mr. Sin on Ebay. At $29 shipped, it's gonna cost me near what I paid for the Flight Control TARDIS, which is annoying but I doubt I'll get a better price anywhere. I'll finally get to finish the Kettlewell Robot.

I'm antsy for images of more Classic DW figures. Maybe there'll be some forthcoming from ToyFair.

Jargo
01-14-2009, 09:50 AM
We should badger the SSG team to grab some pics. I know there's usually loads of other stuff they take pics of and report on but UK toyfair never yields any pics.

Old Fossil
01-14-2009, 03:42 PM
We should badger the SSG team to grab some pics. I know there's usually loads of other stuff they take pics of and report on but UK toyfair never yields any pics.

A couple of DW images shouldn't be too much to ask... or so I would imagine.

Jargo
01-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Ow. I just lacerated myself opening three clamshell packed Hath Peck figures which my partner bought me. ASDA grocery store has an offer on. 4 for one or 10 for three series 4 figures. Bargain.

I made sure there were plenty of Hath on the pegs before taking three. it's a very cool figure aside from having problems holding the big gun.

JediTricks
01-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Email me and I'll talk to steve about it. I got him to shoot all the right stuff at SDCC '07, but their display at '08 was less impressive. I think I can explain to him how to cover it at TF though, since I won't be there.

sebillba
01-15-2009, 04:33 AM
Ow. I just lacerated myself opening three clamshell packed Hath Peck figures which my partner bought me. ASDA grocery store has an offer on. 4 for one or 10 for three series 4 figures. Bargain.

Wow, that's a good deal, I'll have to check out Asda tomorrow. I only want Vashta Nerada, Hath Peck and Timelord from this wave, so would be well made up if I could get them all for a tenner. Trouble is, my pre-order with Play is due tomorrow, so they might ship before I get a chance to get to Asda, and I don't want to cancel as I'm really doubtful I'll find anything - the toy section in my Asda is usually worse than useless. But it's got to be worth a try for that price.

Kidhuman
01-15-2009, 05:12 AM
Last year he told me they werent allowed to take pics of the stuff at Toy Fair. I had asked him. But it might be different this year. They had the Torchwood stuff on display I think is why he couldnt shoot them

sebillba
01-15-2009, 06:56 AM
Wow, that's a good deal, I'll have to check out Asda tomorrow. I only want Vashta Nerada, Hath Peck and Timelord from this wave, so would be well made up if I could get them all for a tenner. Trouble is, my pre-order with Play is due tomorrow, so they might ship before I get a chance to get to Asda, and I don't want to cancel as I'm really doubtful I'll find anything - the toy section in my Asda is usually worse than useless. But it's got to be worth a try for that price.

Just found the three I want at Tesco! They were full price, but there was only one of each, so I grabbed them. At least I can cancel my Play order now, and if I do find them at Asda, I can just return these to Tesco.

Kidhuman
01-15-2009, 09:55 AM
I wish the figures were as easy to get in the States as there are there.

Jargo
01-15-2009, 12:10 PM
thingy wotsit, the distributor in the states, underground toys that's it, they've just renewed the license with character so at least they'll still be available in the states. which is good in part. but yeah, it is a shame they aren't more widely available.
Doctor who toys are so cool every home should have them.

sebillba
01-15-2009, 01:28 PM
They had the Torchwood stuff on display I think is why he couldnt shoot them

Has anyone bought any of the Torchwood figures, or even seen them? I was going to pick up a Weevil, but I've only seen them online - more expensive than DW figs, and just look like statues.

I've just looked on Forbidden Planet (http://www.forbiddenplanet.com/products/35146/Torchwood_Wave_1_Action_Figures_Weevil/Science_Fiction/Action_Figures/Doctor_Who/Torchwood/Product.html), says they're fully articulated - if they are, it's very well hidden.

Jargo
01-15-2009, 02:52 PM
they are articulated FP has the painted sculpt sample pics. I've not bought any. Too busy catching up with DW figures.

http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/torchwoodwave1.htm

sebillba
01-15-2009, 04:33 PM
they are articulated FP has the painted sculpt sample pics. I've not bought any. Too busy catching up with DW figures.

http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/torchwoodwave1.htm

Thanks for the link. I've just won a Weevil from ebay, with best offer of 7.50 and free postage. :thumbsup:

sebillba
01-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Went to Asda this afty, and was amazed to see a whole endcap of wave 4! (And more wave 2 round the corner.) No Vashta Nerada, so I'm glad I picked that up yesterday. They were marked at 4 each, though no mention of 3 for 10, so thanks to Jargo's tip-off I asked a member of staff, and sure enough they were. So I got a Time Lord, Hath Peck and River Song. I wasn't bothered about River Song, but with the offer she was only 2, so I couldn't pass on that.

Old Fossil
01-16-2009, 12:26 PM
An image of one of the Collect and Build Classic Cybermen (http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/cybermantheinvasion.htm)is up.

Jargo
01-16-2009, 12:49 PM
there's all of them up now plus bannakaffalatta. they look alright. I'll definitely be getting the Invasion cyber in multiples. and the tomb cyber just for the cute cybermats. http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/news.htm

I just noticed yesterday that the date stamps on figures are related to their original appearance and copyright not when character options produced them. so Sarah Jane has a date stamp of 1973 and so on. quite cool really to have an action figure made last year dated as such.

I'm in the process of redoing my display. had to buy a couple of shelves and my muppets are going into storage to make room. Also seperated off my classic Who figures which will now occupy a shelf in my bedroom. seies 2 werewolf won't stay standing so I used a rocky formation from lord of the rings figures and have him crouched ready to spring over it. it seemed appropriate seeing as Torchwood house in the episode was out in the countryside. wind blasted moorland and all that. be nice to get a father Angelo and monk figure to go with him.

Jargo
01-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Looks like Character are going to have a large booth at Toyfair UK. they're debuting the Armed forces figures there. So i assume that as DW is the largest part of their revenue there will also be quite a large section devoted to it. As there is nothing unseen as far as the show on TV goes there's no reason for any cloak and dager stuff over showing off the new toys. They've only just started filming the Easter special episode so they can only have sarah jane adventures and doctor who series one to four plus classics.
With a bit of luck they'll reveal classics wave two and three. and why the hell they've gone and done these damn ridiculous BAF waves.

Old Fossil
01-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Looks like Character are going to have a large booth at Toyfair UK. they're debuting the Armed forces figures there. So i assume that as DW is the largest part of their revenue there will also be quite a large section devoted to it. As there is nothing unseen as far as the show on TV goes there's no reason for any cloak and dager stuff over showing off the new toys. They've only just started filming the Easter special episode so they can only have sarah jane adventures and doctor who series one to four plus classics.
With a bit of luck they'll reveal classics wave two and three. and why the hell they've gone and done these damn ridiculous BAF waves.

When is ToyFair UK?

Here's hoping they'll debut some new Classic Doctors!:smoker:

Jargo
01-21-2009, 08:38 PM
next week i think. possibly even this week. I know they were still waiting for approval on doctors 1 through 3. but 7 and 8 should be good to go with wave two. It's a little more difficult with classics as the estate of terry nation and all those deceased writers need consulting and wotnot. Stuff created by Douglas Adams will prove difficult to gain approval on. I reckon that's why we'll see a much smaller collection of classics. Not to mention good reference material is hard to come by.

I'm really hoping to see The Movellans The leader and one regular soldier. Actually a Destiny of the Daleks pack containing Romana, A suicide Dalek and a Movellan with the movellan leader single carded would be good. The movellans are the apparent nemesis of the Daleks after all despite only being featured in one story arc. though mentioned in others.

i've been getting a giggle out of this site (http://sarahjanesmith.cosmic-archer.com/episodeguide.html) tonight. not so much what the site is about but the reviews/comments by the site owner and her friends that accompany each episode. and the plot summaries. :D

Jargo
01-23-2009, 03:02 PM
packaged shots of the cyber wave, vespiform and Gelth entity waves have been showing up. so can't be long til it's all out at retail.

Also Michelle Ryan (bionic woman) and Lee Evans (something about mary, Mouse hunt) are guest starring in the Easter special. Michelle as a psuedo companion, Lady Christina de Souza. and Lee as a scientist called Malcolm. Noma Dumezweni as U.N.I.T. Captain Erisa Magambo from 'Turn left' is returning.

Jargo
01-25-2009, 08:04 PM
you people using the other doctor who forums more these days then? is it time for this one to die?

Old Fossil
01-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Kind of waiting for news or images of new figures. Haven't bought any DW in a couple of weeks. Also have been re-watching the entire new series with the wife, who did not watch it with me the first go round. She's loving it, glad to say. Thought she was gonna fall off the end of the couch at the end of season 2.

Have been considering getting a Mickey Smith figure, though...:smoker:

Jargo
01-25-2009, 08:32 PM
cool. I've been hunting out pics of behind the scenes stuff and props. in case i want to colour correct any of the figures. biting my fingers to the bone waiting for my credit card to stabilise before i have another splurge.

Kidhuman
01-26-2009, 05:24 AM
I still use this, havent gotten any new ones for awhile, actually since last September I beleive. Can never decide which to get, plus Christmas came up. See a few things I want to order.

Jargo
01-29-2009, 07:12 PM
well, i just orded magnus greel
sea devil
SV7
DUM84
Timelord
River Song
25 Adipose

Character online shop has the full vespiform BAF wave in stock However, I can't be arsed buying series 4 figures again just to get the wasp. so I got the Adipose coz the five i have looked lonely on my shelf so 25 more should look better given how small they are.

Old Fossil
01-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Will that complete your Kettlewell robot?

Jargo
01-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Yes! finally. I wish it completed my wants list off though. It never seems to get any shorter.

I'm off to buy a genesis Dalek on ebay. which will complete this months prioritised shopping list. :crazed:

Old Fossil
01-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Excellent.

A genesis dalek? Do you mean one from the Genesis Ark set? I'd dearly love to pick that set up and just keep it in the box. Looks very well put together.

Or is it the one from the classic Daleks set?

Jargo
01-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Classic set. can't have a classic collection without a dalek. I just didn't like the look of the other two daleks in the set. Similarly i'll only be getting the Invasion cyberman Unless they do one from Attack of the Cybermen which is my favourite look for them. The one that's burned into my brain and says this is how Cybers look.

I've also decided not to army build any of the classics. Just to try and keep the amount of figures on display down. though it's killing me. The urge to buy multiples is strong.

Jargo
01-30-2009, 08:41 AM
oooh news! Forbidden planet UK have got a wave of UK exclusives. Expensive exclusives at that. http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_1165_6492

1st Doctor with Dalek Invasion of Earth Supreme Controller Dalek 24.99
1st Doctor with Dalek Invasion of Earth Supreme Controller Dalek in black and white 24.99
2nd Doctor with 'Tomb of the Cybermen' Cyberman 24.99
2nd Doctor with 'Tomb of the Cybermen' Cyberman in black and white 24.99
6th Doctor in 'Real Time' blue Coat 14.99

I've got my pre-order in for the colour version of 1st and 2nd and 6th Docs. the B&W versions are just too weird.

Old Fossil
01-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Finally, some news! Thanks Jargo!

Love the 2nd Doctor! The Traughton likeness is very very good. The 1st Doctor seems a tad off but he'll do fine.

I'll probably pass on the blue 6th Doctor, and on the B/W versions of 1 and 2.

sebillba
01-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Is this the only way to get the first two Doctors? I'll probably pass, though Troughton does look very good. I thought there was going to be a box set of the first three, so I'll wait and see if that comes to light - Jon Pertwee is more important to me anyway.

I've been on the fence about getting all the Doctors.... they'd make for a cool line-up, but it would mean buying a couple of figures I don't particularly want, like Sylvester McCoy. I never even bought an Ecclestone fig.

Jargo
01-30-2009, 11:35 AM
well ordering these two, I'll have seven of the ten. Might as well grab the other three if they get made.

There again I have Sarah Jane Adventures figures and will probably end up having Torchwood ones too. And if there are figures from the K9 show being made in Australia I might get those too. Provided they're the same scale and quality as Character's.

(Filming of the new K9 show is currently under way. They're using a mix of a practical prop and CGI to achieve K9's role. No idea if the cast will be Australian or British or a mix but apparently there will be nods to the classic Who show in every episode.)

Old Fossil
02-01-2009, 02:24 PM
I had seen a couple of rumour lists that had the 7th and 8th Doctors as coming out this year. If they do, that'll leave only #3 to be made to complete the Classic regenerations. I hope Character gets them all done before the line ends.

Jargo
02-01-2009, 02:58 PM
i think it's possible that character consider the classics as a hard sell. the dctors seem to move quite fast but the others don't. especially the zygon and sea devil. we might see exclusives and BAF assortments being the norm if classics continue. it's annoying but it does entice people into collecting a whole wave. more so than if the figures didn't have the BAF bonus figure. I certainly wouldn't have bought magnus greel or the sea devil if i didn't want to complete the K1 robot.

the cyber wave is weak. and an odd way of doing things. I would have thought a 4-pack packaged like the daleks would have suited it better. and release the next doctor cyberleader in the series four waves.

end of the day as long as they get all the doctors done I'm not too bothered about the monster of the month characters. I'd like to see some more but I think the doctors are more important. to miss three out would be spiteful.

Kidhuman
02-08-2009, 09:35 AM
I ordered some Dr Who figures the other day. www.whona.com has a good deal on some of the older figures.

I got

Capt Jack w/Trenchcoat
Martha with Toclafane
Judoon Captain
Judoon warrior
Werewolf

for under 45 shipped.

Jargo
02-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Apparently there are vehicles coming in the Time squad line. I assume it'll be stuff like the Tardis and Sontaran pod. Be nice to see some vehicles in the five inch action figure line too. Be a cool way to introduce UNIT figures to the line.

sebillba
02-18-2009, 12:40 PM
I got my first Time Squad figures today! I ordered the 3 5-packs from play.com, and although all 3 were sent the same day, just 2 arrived today, so hopefully I'll get the other set (with the Sontaran!) tomorrow.

I'm waiting till I have the full set before I open them up, but I'm very impressed so far. I love Galactic and Adventure Heroes anyway, so these were an obvious addition to my DW collection - I think they're slightly larger than GHs, but I've not compared them properly yet. The quality seems very high - I've got 10 figures in front of me, and all appear to have perfect paint apps (always a risk when buying online). They've also got articulation at the shoulders, and possibly the heads, which is more than most GHs.

Anyone else got or planning to get these?

Kidhuman
02-19-2009, 05:21 AM
I would love to get those, probably will shortly.

Jargo
02-19-2009, 05:31 AM
Not for me. I think the cyberman is cute but I don't really like them. And what with the five inch figures and my lego adiction i can't afford to go adding any new collections. Besides which my partner would crucify me for doing so.

sebillba
02-19-2009, 01:20 PM
And what with the five inch figures and my lego adiction i can't afford to go adding any new collections. Besides which my partner would crucify me for doing so.

I know what you mean, my partner is pretty indulgent when it comes to my toys, but always dispairs if I start a new collection. But I don't really see these as a new collection, just a natural progression of my other DW figures, and a nice link in with my GHs and AHs.

Well, my other set arrived today, so I opened them all. Apart from the daleks and Davros, they all have head and shoulder articulation... some are also articulated at the waist, though the one figure that could do with this joint doesn't have it - the Sontaran is stuck in a twisted sideways pose, though I guess it's to offset the weight of his gun. Also, I don't think his head moves - the only one that doesn't. I still like him though.

One nice little surprise was the stone angel - her "wig" comes off, and her head is reversible for either screaming or serene modes. Just a shame one of her arms doesn't move (on mine) - looks like the glue has seeped into the joint from where the wings were stuck on. Oh well, it's no biggie.

Overall, I like them a lot, and am really pleased to have them. But I hope this is a one-off set, as it's a nice cross-section from right across the modern series, with just about all the major monsters and aliens represented. It was cool to get a complete set in one foul swoop, and I'd prefer them not to go on forever. Having said that, I wouldn't mind a few classic characters - a mini Ton Baker would be super sweet!

Jargo
02-19-2009, 01:54 PM
I could imagine the Empress of the Racnos and Lazarus monster being quite good fun in that line. stumpy legs and fat body. I'm curious about what vehicles are being added to the line too. if there's going to be a Sontaran sphere ship then i might persuade myself to get it. call it a whim purchase.

sebillba
02-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Well it's shaping up to be quite a week for DW... I went to Tesco today for a loaf of bread, and came back with two figures! I'm not supposed to be spending this month, but as I explained to my partner, they were half price, so I actually saved us money. :thumbsup: I got Captain Jack in overcoat, and the 9th Doctor... I never particularly wanted the latter, but I'll need him if I'm going to get a full set of the 10 doctors. Might have to draw the line at the 11th though. ;)

And then I got shipping notice of my classic Cyberman pre-order! :D

Old Fossil
02-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Nice finds, sebillba! I haven't bought any DW in a while.

Old Fossil
02-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Well since it's a bit slow on the DW side of collecting, I thought now would be as good a time as any to show off my meagre collection:

Kidhuman
02-25-2009, 12:00 PM
VEry nice. I need to get the Face of Boe

Jargo
02-25-2009, 01:36 PM
I really should take some snaps of my stuff. I walk past it so many times a day. just keep forgetting to take the camera with me.

sebillba
02-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Nice collection OF. :cool: I don't have much space for a permanent DW display - at the moment I've just got my Time Squad figures out, and a few classic figs. I received my 1968 Cyberman this week to add to those, he looks great!

Old Fossil
02-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks all. I also wanted to get some pics for posterity, since afterward I condensed the display down by about 1/3 and moved it to a smaller bookshelf. (Had to make space to put my SW Hoth-themed figs back out.)

JediTricks
03-01-2009, 02:36 AM
Well since it's a bit slow on the DW side of collecting, I thought now would be as good a time as any to show off my meagre collection:
Haw! It looks like Davros is wearing that K1 build-a-figure. :D Nice collection.

Old Fossil
03-19-2009, 10:09 PM
News on this line has really dried up lately. Any CO Who rumors? Anybody get those new Cyberman sets?

Kidhuman
03-20-2009, 04:42 AM
I really havent ordered much of DW stuff lately. I was looking for the 25 Adipose pack and the old Doctor/midget one 2 Pack(LOTTL). Moneys a bit tight right now as my transmission went out, so first things first

db1138
03-20-2009, 09:35 AM
just found this thread. awesome... relatively new Who fan,(for 3 years) but I have a lot of the Dr. Who figures ! (I think it's partly the figures that made me a fan.:D)

anyway, glad this thread is here. too bad there's no real news for us to discuss. :neutral:

Jargo
03-20-2009, 09:57 AM
from recent 'news' it apears that after the easter special episode the rest of the specials starring Tennant will air over the holiday season with the last two being a two parter. I wouldn't expect to see any new figures until april may and then a bunch around christmas. all tied in to whipping up interest in the specials on tv.

Character are currently pushing other lines like hannah montana, scoobydoo, HM armed forces, and bindeez. and according to some sources terminator salvation action figures.

i also read a report where russel davies was telling the world that children's television shows are more important than education and employment. or some such rubbish. the man has clearly lost the plot big time.

Kidhuman
03-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Martha is too be back in the last episodes with Tennant. So, those should be decent. I read that the Easter one might be delayed beause of the bus acident. Any other word on that?

Jargo
03-20-2009, 10:41 AM
The Sun 'newspaper' are saying martha donna and rose will be in the final specials but who can say. Personally i could live without Rose and Martha being there but it would be cool if it was Donna who had something to do with DT regenerating. a little bit of doctor donna sparking it off.

a delay on the easter special could be possible but the bbc found a third bus to replace the one that was damaged. so it would probably only be a short delay if any. I'm going to guess that any real delays would be caused by the amount of CGI in the episode.

Jargo
03-27-2009, 08:33 AM
from the Character newsletter:

COMING SOON
Doctor Who Series 1, 2 and 3 Collect and Build Action figures.
Each figure includes a Collect and Build part. Collect all the figures and build your very own Gelth Phantom figure.
Expect in stock and available to purchase week commencing 30th March.

Jargo
03-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Planet Of The Dead easter special airs on April 11th. a teaser was shown at a recent sporting event but hasn't shown online or on TV yet.

Blue2th
03-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Anybody seen the Time Squad Vehicles?
They look pretty cool. http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_1165&sort=20a&page=5#activePage=search&searchTerm=time+squad+vehicles&searchCat=&searchMode=term&pagerPage=1&pagerTotalItems=3

Jargo
03-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Jack's Chula ship and the Slitheen ship have been released before in the Microverse line with a micro figure. The spaceship from 42 is new I think. The scale is really tiny like star wars titaniums/action fleet. It surprises me that these are being marketed in the time squad line.

Blue2th
03-29-2009, 11:08 AM
That's the perfect size for us Titanium-Action Fleet freaks.
Some of us who wouldn't buy the Dr. Who figures because of various reasons, don't want to collect another line of figures, can't afford it, or otherwise, would buy these.

The quest for for more and different space craft knows no bounds.

Jargo
04-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Just a little snippet. the australian made K9 show trailer/promo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S0jOFRmAOc&feature=player_embedded

The trailer was made to promote the series at the MIPTV festival in Cannes. Series co-creator and associate producer Paul Tams notes that "All music and titles and K9's voice are for demo purposes only and [are] not the actual voice, etc. that will be used in the programme." Tams also says that monsters designed for the series remain "under wraps".

The trailer shows the first glimpses of the redesigned K9 in action, as well as revealing the series' human characters. Filming for K9 continues in Australia through April; the BBC is not involved in the series production. K9 is expected to air on Australia's Network Ten and UK digital channel Jetix/Disney XD in the autumn.

also the trailer for Dr. Who Planet of the dead has aired. I'm not linking to it because I think you'll be disappointed. for one thing it gives away the episode antagonists and also happens to be one of the dullest trailers I've ever seen.

db1138
04-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Just a little snippet. the australian made K9 show trailer/promo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S0jOFRmAOc&feature=player_embedded

also the trailer for Dr. Who Planet of the dead has aired. I'm not linking to it because I think you'll be disappointed. for one thing it gives away the episode antagonists and also happens to be one of the dullest trailers I've ever seen.

I took it as just a teaser. I certainly didn't think it looked dull. Ten's first line in the trailer : "end of the line", made it all the more clear that Tennant is leaving. :sad:

can't wait for the 11th !

Kidhuman
04-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I loved the trailer. Michelle Ryan should be good in it. I cant wait for it to air,

JediTricks
04-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Wow, that Capt Jack's ship looks pretty good. If they're AF-sized, then the price ain't too shabby. If they're Titanium sized though, yikes.

sebillba
06-19-2009, 04:00 PM
I haven't bought any new DW figures for a while, but today I received from play.com Bannakaffalatta and Jabe, and they're both very nice additions to my collection. Jabe, the tree woman, isn't the most exciting figure, but she has some very nice detail. Mini-Maul is a great little fig... you can remove his shirt-front, and underneath is a recess in his chest that conceals his EMP transmitter - very cool.

Old Fossil
06-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I haven't gotten anything new DW stuff in ages. In fact I've boxed up most of it and put it in storage, save the Flight Control TARDIS, 4th Doctor, Sarah Jane, K-9, and the K-1 robot.

I read a rumor on doctorwhotoys.net that CO is going to begin making the figures in 3 3/4" scale. I'd like that, if they can manage to keep the sculpts close to their current standards.

sebillba
06-20-2009, 05:14 AM
Part of me would love to see a 3.75" line, but I really don't want to have to collect the same characters all over again, just in another scale.

JediTricks
06-25-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm excited that Russell Davies and David Tennant are going to be at Comic-Con.

Kidhuman
06-27-2009, 09:47 AM
wow, thats pretty awesome JT, I wish I could get there. Any idea of the SDCC Exclusive for Dr Who this year?

JediTricks
06-27-2009, 02:29 PM
No. The press release I got only confirms there will be more, and suggests that among them will be a David Tennant figure.

Kidhuman
06-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Would you mind getting me one this year. I wont cross you up with EC again. HAHA

JediTricks
06-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Gee, that's right, I had forgotten about that.

NO. :p

Old Fossil
11-10-2009, 07:46 AM
Anybody here get the 1st and 2nd Doctor sets? Checking on Ebay, I found several 2nd Doctor sets, all in the $50-60 range!:( This is madness. May have to wait a long time before I add those to the collection.

I kind of miss collecting this line, but there hasn't really been anything new and exciting to come out in a long, long while.

sebillba
12-18-2009, 01:15 PM
There's a new wave of classic figures coming next year:

http://forbiddenplanet.com/?q=doctor+who+2010+classic

I particularly like the Ice Warrior, Morbius and The Master.

Old Fossil
12-18-2009, 02:04 PM
There's a new wave of classic figures coming next year:

http://forbiddenplanet.com/?q=doctor+who+2010+classic

I particularly like the Ice Warrior, Morbius and The Master.

COOL BEANS!!! Nice to see those. I will at least try to get the green VOC robot, to go with D84 and SV-7.

Thanks, sebillba!:)

sebillba
12-18-2009, 03:52 PM
No worries! This thread has been pretty quiet since Jargo left (what was that all about??), but I'll be sure to post any news I see.

sebillba
01-13-2010, 02:00 AM
Just seen there's a wave of four new figures coming from the final End of Time episode. Can't say they look particularly exciting to me, but here ya go anyway: http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_1165_6972

JediTricks
01-15-2010, 06:08 PM
They got Matt whatshisface's likeness pretty good from that ep, although on that body it looks weird, like he's a bulkier guy. But those are a bit of a snore overall.

morpheus282
01-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Of those four figures, the only one I'd want is "The Narrator". I wonder if they missed the Doctor calling him Rassilon just before the end?

Old Fossil
01-18-2010, 08:41 PM
None of these do anything for me, really, though I wouldn't mind having a figure of Timothy Dalton, the best Bond actor since Sean Connery!

I haven't bought anything new in ages. I boxed up most of my stuff, too, except for the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker), K-9, and Flight Control TARDIS, which is still so much fun to play around with.

crazydave75
01-20-2010, 05:10 PM
they seem to have an issue of scaling his suit jacket down couldve done a new sculpt for the 10th doctor as a tribute he was the best one even better than tom baker

Old Fossil
01-20-2010, 06:07 PM
couldve done a new sculpt for the 10th doctor as a tribute he was the best one even better than tom baker

Comparing actors who portrayed the Doctor always bugs me. It's like saying the Tenth Doctor is better than the Fourth Doctor. They're all the Doctor. They seem to suit their eras. I mean, Tom Baker probably could not have been as good a Tenth Doctor as Tennant, not with the current sensibilities. Patrick Troughton could only have been the Second Doctor; he could not have worked as the Ninth. They are all amazing actors. Some just had greater onscreen presence than others, but all had their strengths and weaknesses.

Having said that, nobody, but NOBODY, is better at playing the Doctor than Tom Baker.:D

Maniac30
08-05-2010, 06:18 AM
Not much word on this thread!

What do we think of the comic cons?????????? Master and 5th fantastic regeneration 5th good 11th doctor with Dalek not available in the UK or anywhere else for that matter. What do we think on this topic as I am quite annoyed but I am sure that UT will make unsold stock available.

Whats next?? Third Doctors Sonic Screwdriver and Delgado master.

JediTricks
08-05-2010, 01:53 PM
I went by the Comic-Con booth, picked up a Flight Control Tardis - cute, but I think $35 was overpriced. The exclusive 2-pack for $40 is insanely high for what it is. The box of 11 doctors was cool though. The new Sonic Screwdriver sold out pretty quick despite its higher price.

AFCollector
08-05-2010, 02:40 PM
I picked this up: Doctor Who Eleven Doctors Set (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=UND10300&mode=retail) and am pretty happy with it. Pretty good likenesses on all of them and they've all got appropriate Sonic Screwdrivers or umbrellas (as the case may be).

Even Davidson's Doctor has the celery stick on his lapel.

It's hard finding these things though, and I wish they were able to go back and do some of the earlier companions, though I guess that'd be pretty difficult to get permission, etc.

Still, I like this line. The box set (for me at least) is just the Crown Jewel. As nice as The Doctor's companions may be, I watch the show for The Doctor.

And Old Fossil, I agree with you. All The Doctors were the best for their time. I have every episode currently out on dvd and have watched them all, I couldn't pick a 'best' if I tried. I may have some that I liked 'better', but they are all the same Doctor to me.

Maniac30
08-05-2010, 04:22 PM
I picked this up: Doctor Who Eleven Doctors Set (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=UND10300&mode=retail) and am pretty happy with it. Pretty good likenesses on all of them and they've all got appropriate Sonic Screwdrivers or umbrellas (as the case may be).

Even Davidson's Doctor has the celery stick on his lapel.

It's hard finding these things though, and I wish they were able to go back and do some of the earlier companions, though I guess that'd be pretty difficult to get permission, etc.

Still, I like this line. The box set (for me at least) is just the Crown Jewel. As nice as The Doctor's companions may be, I watch the show for The Doctor.

And Old Fossil, I agree with you. All The Doctors were the best for their time. I have every episode currently out on dvd and have watched them all, I couldn't pick a 'best' if I tried. I may have some that I liked 'better', but they are all the same Doctor to me.

Totally agree. Its a lovely set but wish 6 had an accessory :upset:

Maniac30
08-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Nobody has a spare 11th Doctor and Dalek SDCC set that they would trade or put up for sale or even a loose dalek would be nice :razz:

Or is that just wishful thinking:thumbsup:

AFCollector
08-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Totally agree. Its a lovely set but wish 6 had an accessory :upset:

Well to be fair, his 'accessory' was his pompousness. Oh, and Peri. ::hawt::

Maniac30
08-07-2010, 06:03 AM
Forbidden Planet in London want 79.99 for 11th doctor and Dalek :shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

But i think by the time the year is out we will all be very happy with what Dr Who stuff we have.:yes::lipsrsealed::yes:

Maniac30
08-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Just be careful of someone called Matt Gaynor who posts on Gbase etc. He is well known for spreading misinformation about the Character Options range (because he is a Dewar brown noser). He thought he could get away with his Ben Wilson pseudonym on outpostwho, (notice how he hasn't posted much since he got found out!), as he liked to be rude to people without consequences.

Maniac30
10-07-2010, 12:35 PM
There have been those in the fan community who persist in spreading false rumours about the Doctor Who range. Specifically I am talking about the two self appointed lackeys on Gbase who insist on alternating between saying that leaks of Peri will stop it happening and that Peri would not be viable.

Well, to find out who is a complete liar, or incompetent, I invite you all to mark today in your diaries.

IF Peri is released, it means they are COMPLETE LIARS with COMPLETE AND UTTER disrespect for Doctor Who fans...
IF it isn't released then it means I am wrong.

Time will tell....

Ready all?

TICK TOCK....

The countdown begins....

ALREADY....

DarkArtist
10-07-2010, 01:00 PM
???? have absolutely no clue what you are talking about...Not a Doctor Who follower...not even sure if I've even seen a single episode of Doctor Who

2-1B
10-07-2010, 05:58 PM
There's no way it isn't being released, I would bet El Chuxter's life on that!!!

Maniac30
11-06-2010, 08:59 AM
You bet correctly my friend ;

Peri will happen and Matt Gaynor will be proved wrong aswell as his little games!
2 peri sets we may even see one before christmas.

Then of course we will see few classic davross won't we. The lackeyes have bitten off more than they can chew!

Tick tock...

Maniac30
11-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Classic Sontarans!

Lynx and sontaran pod with 3rd doctor...

I wonder if that is what Underground Toys are going to announce?

Tick tock tick tock...

Beast
01-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Ok, the Doctor Who 'Legoish' construction toys and figures are kinda neat.

http://idlehands1.blogspot.com/2011/01/character-options-announces-character.html

Daleks and Weeping Angels!! Aieeeee. :D

sebillba
01-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Mmm, I like these a lot, and the Armed Forces sets. I'm not a fan of the blind bags, but at least it's better than having to buy large sets for exclusive figures.

Not sure if I'll get any of these, I've had to limit my collecting and just focus on SW these days.... I've not really been inspired by any of the recent DW figures, though I saw the new Silurians this week, and was sorely tempted. Managed to resist though.... for now.

Beast
01-27-2011, 11:44 AM
The set with all 11 of The Doctors is pretty cool also.

http://picasaweb.google.com/doctorwhotoys/DoctorWhoMicroFigures?feat=flashalbum#556614478327 4276930

http://picasaweb.google.com/doctorwhotoys/DoctorWhoMicroFigures?feat=flashalbum#556614572910 8130578

http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/characterbuilding.htm

And yeah, hate Blind Boxing. But at least it looks like you can buy the complete sets also. Or at least get the same figures in the playset packs. So at least they're giving you options in how you can collect them.

Though it looks like the Cyberman Leader is exclusive to the Cyberman Conversion Chamber.

And normal Rory Williams and River Song is exclusive to the Tardis Control Center Playset.

Though naturally those three could be released in future waves. Much like some of the others are.