PDA

View Full Version : Zepplin Reuniting

pbarnard
09-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Can't believe no one's put this up yet. Led Zeppelin, or Plant, Page and Jones since they're all that's left, will be reuniting for a one night benefit type concert. Too bad it's way out of my price range and geography. Curse the Brits and their supergroup reunions...first Cream and now this.

El Chuxter
09-13-2007, 12:10 PM
If Page and Plant hadn't gotten together at least five times since the group broke up, and if the whole shebang hadn't played together on a few special occasions, this might hold a lot more import to me.

They'll do a tour, and the obligatory live album, then part ways to go back to their lackluster solo careers. And re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-read The Lord of the Rings.

Blue2th
09-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Curse the Brits and their supergroup reunions...first Cream and now this.
Like the Cream reunion, I hope we get to see this on PBS.
It would be nice to see John Paul Jones in action again on bass and keyboards. He was left out of the Page-Plant thing last time.

JON9000
09-13-2007, 12:43 PM
the one-off could be followed by a full tour, which would be nice. These guys have had a way of staying relevant with the younger set that a great many older artists do not. Perhaps it is their status as progenitors of heavy metal.

2-1B
09-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Who is gonna work the skins, Lil' Bonham again ?

LusiferSam
09-13-2007, 09:28 PM

Yes, Jason will drum. I think this is pretty cool. There's go way on earth I could go, by watching it on TV would be fine by me. Doubt they would do a full tour or anything like that.

Rogue II
09-14-2007, 01:36 AM
I heard they are only doing 5 shows, all in the UK. Greedy Brits. They send Genesis through North America and keep the mighty Zeppelin to themselves.

Here is an article on the reunion (since Newsbot doesn't cover this section)

LONDON (AFP) - About 20 million fans have tried to get tickets for Led Zeppelin's one-off comeback concert, a spokesman for the gig said Thursday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The rock legends are reforming for a tribute concert at London's O2 Arena on November 26. The former Millennium Dome venue in Greenwich can hold up to 20,000 people.

The three surviving members of the hard-rocking British band are to play together for the first time in 19 years in tribute to Ahmet Ertegun, the late founder of the Atlantic Records label, who signed the group in 1968.

About 80,000 fans per minute are trying to register for tickets at the www.ahmettribute.com website, said Internet service provider Pipex.

Demand for the 125-pound tickets also crashed the O2 Arena website.

"The message is to be patient. The website will be open until midday on September 17 for anyone wanting to register," said a spokesman for the concert.

"It is not 'first come, first served' and all successful applicants will be entered into the ballot for tickets to be drawn at random."

Led Zeppelin split in 1980 following the death of drummer John Bonham, who famously choked on his own vomit following a drinking binge.

Singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist John Paul Jones, with Bonham's son Jason on drums, will headline the gig.

The Who's Pete Townshend, Bill Wyman and the Rhythm Kings, rock band Foreigner and Paolo Nutini will also play at the tribute from British artists who worked with Istanbul-born Ertegun.

Since Bonham's death, the remaining three have reunited only twice before, to play the 1985 Live Aid concert in Philadelphia and an Atlantic Records anniversary gig in 1988.

Led Zeppelin have sold more than 300 million albums worldwide.

The band were not keen on releasing singles, but their best-known songs include "Stairway to Heaven", "Kashmir", "Whole Lotta Love", "Rock 'n' Roll", "Nobody's Fault but Mine" and "Communication Breakdown".

2-1B
09-14-2007, 07:55 PM
"You can't actually dust for vomit."

TeeEye7
09-14-2007, 09:46 PM
This will be a ticket scalper's paradise. :yes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-15-2007, 09:17 PM
It would be a real kick in the nuts if they only reunited to do material from their last two albums. :eek:

El Chuxter
09-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Are you including Coda as one of the last two albums? That'd make a real difference there.

jjreason
09-16-2007, 09:59 AM
What was the order? I'm not a big fan of Coda, but likely didn't give it enough listens. In Through the Out Door and Physical Graffitti (sp) have at least one song I like each (not saying much, really)... but it's been a LONG time since any of these "lessor" Zep albums has found my CD player.

El Chuxter
09-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin IV (AKA Runes, AKA Zoso)
Houses of the Holy
Physical Graffitti
Presence
In Through the Out Door
Coda

Presence is, by far, my least favorite. ITTOD gets a bad rap, but at least it's a fun listen. And I got the Complete Studio Recordings box years ago, so my Coda is expanded to include "Hey Hey What Can I Do" and three other cool tracks, so it scores bonus points in my book. (Never could understand why they're soon to release their second 2-disc hits package, and HHWCID is still not on it, or any other "regular" album."

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-16-2007, 02:25 PM
I wasn't including Coda, since half of it's old and the other half sucks. (Bonzo's Montreux excluded.)

I listened to ITOTD for the first time in a few months the other day - man, when you're actually looking forward to getting past the other songs and on to Fool in the Rain and All My Love, you know something's wrong here.

I haven't listened to Presence in a looong time. Achilles Last Stand is pretty good, if a little bit overrated, but the rest isn't too great.

Is it just me, or does it seem that quite a few bands blow their creative loads with double albums and never regain their greatness afterward?

El Chuxter
09-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Smashing Pumpkins did.

Outkast did.

Floyd did.

The Beatles (sorta) did.

Hmmmm....

Mad Slanted Powers
09-16-2007, 07:20 PM
I listened to ITOTD for the first time in a few months the other day - man, when you're actually looking forward to getting past the other songs and on to Fool in the Rain and All My Love, you know something's wrong here.

I haven't listened to Presence in a looong time. Achilles Last Stand is pretty good, if a little bit overrated, but the rest isn't too great.In Through The Out Door sounds like what Plant would do on his solo stuff. "In The Evening" is my favorite track, and "All My Love" is good too. "Carouselambra" sounds all right.

Presence is actually pretty good, but doesn't really have a track that gets regular play on the classic rock stations.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-16-2007, 09:00 PM
I've seen several post-Zeppelin Robert Plant videos on The Tube (a channel that plays only music videos), and man, do they suck royally. All Caribbean-sounding junk or him crying about God knows what.

El Chuxter
09-16-2007, 09:57 PM
For the most part, you're right.

However, check out I'm In the Mood, Tall Cool One, Louie Louie, Sea of Love (by the Honeydrippers), and The Only One (Jimmy with Robert).

JimJamBonds
09-16-2007, 11:12 PM

Yes, Jason will drum. I think this is pretty cool. There's go way on earth I could go, by watching it on TV would be fine by me. Doubt they would do a full tour or anything like that.

Jason's daughter should play.

Blue2th
09-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Robert Plant's first solo efforts weren't too bad. He had another British guitarist Robbie Blunt with a decidedly different sound than Jimmy Page. Which was cool.

Jimmy Page did a few good efforts himself with the Dark sounding intrumental soundtrack to the movie Death Wish with Charles Bronson. I guess he was feeling pretty down after the death of his friend John. It's some creepy stuff.

One of my favorite Jimmy Page albums is Coverdale-Page. This is an excellent album. David Coverdale's range is what Robert Plant's vocal range used to be. Jimmy's playing captured his earlier creative fire.
I had read that there was some friction between Plant and Coverdale at the time (you can tell Coverdale is influenced by Plant's earlier work)
Jimmy Page got in on it by mentioning in a Guitar Player Magazine interview that Plant "should just keep his mouth shut".
So they've had their lover's spats.

El Chuxter
09-17-2007, 12:20 AM
Coverdale-Page was so good, I didn't mind Whitesnake breaking up.

JediTricks
09-18-2007, 05:19 AM
Call me when Parliament Funkadelic reunites.

JimJamBonds
09-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Call me when Parliament Funkadelic reunites.

Done and done.

The band completed a tour of the United Kingdom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom) on Monday 17 July 2006, having performed in Gateshead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateshead), Manchester (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester), and Hammersmith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammersmith) in London (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London).

arctangent
09-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Smashing Pumpkins did.

they did?:cross-eye

JediTricks
09-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Done and done.
Fake P-Funk makes the baby Jesus confused. "Children of Production" isn't really Parliament, it's a hip-hop offshoot with George Clinton's grandchildren and some others.

jjreason
09-28-2007, 06:45 PM
they did?:cross-eye

What came after Melon Collie? Adore? It was a pretty good record, but I'm quite sure I don't own it. To me they peaked with Siamese Dream.

Back to the Zep.....

TeeEye7
10-05-2007, 05:10 AM
Have you heard of this?

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss have a CD coming out at the end of October (Raising Sand). Not really sure what to make of it yet. I'm an Alison Krauss and Union Station fan, but I haven't an opinion yet on the AKUS/Zep collaboration yet. What I've heard doesn't sound bad, yet....well.....I dunno. Krauss has teamed up with other folks for some surpising work....and I guess this is more of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5KF4dKq-6I

El Chuxter
10-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I'd heard about it, and am looking forward to it. Both of them have some deep roots in American music, and this should be interesting.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Man, I think Robert Plant and Brian May must get their hair done at the same place.

TeeEye7
10-06-2007, 03:30 AM
Hey, Chux: Does Robert Plant's song Big Log count as a poop reference?

Kidhuman
01-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Possible World Tour????

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2008/01/28/2008-01-28_led_zeppelin_coming_to_an_arena_near_you-1.html

JON9000
01-28-2008, 12:21 PM
There have been so many teases over the past 20 years that I cannot take any talk of a full Zep tour seriously. I was pleased that the O2 show (which I hope gets televised at some point) actually sounded good. Live Aid sucked, and so did Atlantic's 40th. The Knebworth one-off with Plant and Page was pretty good though, as was the Unledded gig.

Nevertheless, old Pagey looks fitter now than he has since the 80s and has a pretty good sense of fashion as well.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080128/ap_on_en_mu/people_led_zeppelin;_ylt=AmRzpomLR3xSre3OUnDp6UMDW 7oF

Oh, and you know are the bomb when Dave Grohl places himself at your service!

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1580419/20080128/led_zeppelin.jhtml

2-1B
01-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Come on Jon, this is Led Zeppelin we're talking about...it's not like Grohl is offering to fill in for Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot or somethin' lol

UnLedded was awesome, indeed. :thumbsup: I was 16 when they did that gig, very fond memories of that.
Probably the second to last time I ever tuned in to MTV :)

Kidhuman
01-28-2008, 07:04 PM
I say the tickets will be expensive as all hell. McCartney gets 200 for the cheap seats, 2g for Zep?