PDA

View Full Version : Cantina Set up

Kidhuman
09-13-2007, 08:38 PM
HEre are the pics I took of the finished Cantina. Enjoy them

Kidhuman
09-13-2007, 08:38 PM
A few more. Found the perfect place for Umpass Stay with his preposed legs. He fits nice at the bar

Rebo's_Guitarist
09-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Wow thats a nice full cantina. Looks good:thumbsup:

Battle Droid
09-13-2007, 11:25 PM
Yeah it looks great! I ordered the two new Cantina aliens today from Amazon, can't wait to get them and complete my bar.:D

Rogue II
09-14-2007, 01:32 AM
So Umpass Stay is posed like Captain Morgan?

Mad Slanted Powers
09-14-2007, 02:04 AM
Luke looks like he's had a bit too much to drink.

Kidhuman
09-14-2007, 05:58 AM
So Umpass Stay is posed like Captain Morgan?

He is posed like he is squatting and he fits on a bar stool perfectly

Thanks for the kind words fellas.

BD, after three years, we can finally set it up right now, I was happy.

jedi master sal
09-14-2007, 08:45 AM
KH would you mind reworking that so there is a straight section between the curved pieces? I'd like to see that set up. I realize the bar won't be as long, but I'm not worried about that for the moment.

I'm thinking a straight piece can be used, however it may need to have a section of it removed. I figure if I cut away the end so the pieces still fit together, then cut off the section just beofre that to the next chair (leaving the other end intact with one chair seating), then glueing the other end that I trimmed off to the remaining end, I could have a smaller straight piece that doesn't look out of whack with the rest of the bar and allows for more room behind the bar for not only Wuhrer but the distillery.

I'll post a pic of what I mean shortly.

-Sal

jedi master sal
09-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Okay here is what I mean. (Done quickly in Photoshop)

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/Misc%20pics/?action=view&current=straightBarSectionResized.jpg

I deliberately left the edge showing where the pieces would be to clearly define where I would cut the pieces at. Once I would glue the pieces together I would then fill in any gaps in the plastic , then airbrush it to look better.

Actually I plan on airburshing the whole cantine setup (after filling in plastic gaps) anyway, but only if the straight piece looks good.

I might keep the straight piece full size between the curved pieces, if I can see an example of this. Other wise I will cut it down as demonstrated by the linked graphic.

All of my cantina straight pieces are in storage or I'd do this myself to check it. So I'm asking KH or anyone else that might have the time to set up your cantina with a straight piece between the curved pieces and take some pics at different angles so we can see what it looks like.

I have a notion that I'm not the only person who would like to see this to determine if they want to set theirs up the same way.

Thanks,
-Sal

kool-aid killer
09-14-2007, 01:46 PM
No Muftak?

I like how your bar looks bustling with Star Wars aliens. Does anybody happen to know how well, if at all, the cantina parts would look if they were incorporated into cantina background Hasbro released years ago with a Sandtrooper included?

Kidhuman
09-14-2007, 03:30 PM
I dont have Muftak, I missed that pack. I do have an extra Foul Momamoda or whoever, I should stick him in it.

Sal, I will take a quick pick of it in a bit.

Kidhuman
09-14-2007, 04:13 PM
I just set up a a smaller section here for the pics Sal, its a bit wide, but I also used the backgrounds from the cantina 3 packs as a distillery for the middle.

jedi master sal
09-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Excellent! Thanks KH.

Well that makes my decision easier. Looks like I'll be cutting a section down.

I might even go smaller than the mock section I posted. I'd have to trim off the round outcropping as well to get this smaller. I could cut the section into five part. The ends each before the outcropping, the two outcroppings, then the middle that is flat like the ends. Then just toss the outcroppings (with the chairs). That's just 4 cuts with a band saw. Simple enough.

Thanks again Scott.

-Sal

JediTricks
09-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the pics KH, not a very attractive setup but I don't think Hasbro has any choice if they want to use those curves.
Excellent! Thanks KH.

Well that makes my decision easier. Looks like I'll be cutting a section down.

I might even go smaller than the mock section I posted. I'd have to trim off the round outcropping as well to get this smaller. I could cut the section into five part. The ends each before the outcropping, the two outcroppings, then the middle that is flat like the ends. Then just toss the outcroppings (with the chairs). That's just 4 cuts with a band saw. Simple enough.

Thanks again Scott.

-SalI think cutting at this point would be a mistake, if Hasbro does the distillery as wide as it was in the movie, the regular straight section is going to be just enough space. It's ugly, but if you want room for Wuher on both sides, it's likely gonna need this much width.

Kidhuman
09-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the pics KH, not a very attractive setup but I don't think Hasbro has any choice if they want to use those curves.

You mean the bar itself or the way I displayed it?

I think cutting at this point would be a mistake, if Hasbro does the distillery as wide as it was in the movie, the regular straight section is going to be just enough space. It's ugly, but if you want room for Wuher on both sides, it's likely gonna need this much width.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. The only way we will know for sure is if and when they ever release the distillery. I wish they would have extended one side of the curve another inch or two for both figures and it would have fit nicely

JediTricks
09-14-2007, 09:46 PM
You mean the bar itself or the way I displayed it?With the straight section between the curves.

Kidhuman
09-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Ok, just thought you hated my display, I was going to cry.

DarthQuack
09-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Looks really good KH, can't wait to have all mine set up just like that someday.

Rogue II
09-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Its too bad they didn't do four 45° curves instead of two 90° curves so they could have made it a larger radius.

stillakid
09-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Its too bad they didn't do four 45° curves instead of two 90° curves so they could have made it a larger radius.

Yeah, those curves are way too hot! Ouch!

jedi master sal
09-14-2007, 11:41 PM
...I think cutting at this point would be a mistake, if Hasbro does the distillery as wide as it was in the movie, the regular straight section is going to be just enough space. It's ugly, but if you want room for Wuher on both sides, it's likely gonna need this much width.

It would be if I didn't have the skills to make an awesome distillery on my own. However since I do have those skills, cutting one section down won't be a problem for me. I'll have to watch the movie again to get a better idea of width, but I'll have no compunction about cutting a section down.

Believe it or not, there is still a Wal*Mart inmy fiancee's mom's town that is STILL selling the cantina sets from the first go around. I kid you not. Unless they FINALLY get sold because of these figs with the curved pieces, I'm going to pick up a few extras so I can cut them down without worry to using my originals.

If hasbro were to make the distillery, who would they release it with? Wuhrer has been done, TWICE now. There's not to many patrons left, but I don't think it would be right to sell the distillery with a patron. Hmm, maybe Chalmun? (The Wookiee owner of the cantina.)

El Chuxter
09-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Where the hell is Feltipern, dammit? :mad:

stillakid
09-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Are they ALLOWED to sell a distillery toy to children? I mean, can you picture that conversation in the store:

"Mom, can I get that one?"

"Which toy, dear?"

"That one... the Dis..til..ary."

"Huh?"

"What's a Dis..til..ary?"

Mom grumbles while looking for the store manager.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-15-2007, 12:27 AM
They can call it an espresso machine, soda machine, smoothie machine, or soft server dispenser.

Kidhuman
09-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Where the hell is Feltipern, dammit? :mad:

He is there, look at Hammerhead and then he is below him.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-15-2007, 10:57 AM
He is there, look at Hammerhead and then he is below him.

I'm not seeing him either. Dannik Jerriko is near Hammerhead, but no Feltipern. He should be near M'iiyoom Onith.

Kidhuman
09-15-2007, 03:50 PM
The bouncers took his a** outside and beat him

Mad Slanted Powers
09-15-2007, 04:51 PM
M'iiyoom Onith probably already killed him.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-15-2007, 09:12 PM
This picture (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:MEC.JPG) shows the end of the curve. What they really need to do is make a slightly curved piece to go between the two, but I think a normal section will do fine for the time being since Wuher needs to be able to move comfortably around both sides of the distillery and the distillery is fairly wide.

Here (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:MScantina_schematics.jpg) are the schematics, which I'm going to assume are fairly accurate. When I get to the new house, I think I'll set it up with four straight pieces on each side and the last straight piece between the curved ones. Not completely accurate but good enough.

figrin bran
09-15-2007, 10:35 PM
KH, I like your setup!

Unfortunately, I only have 1 straight section. I didn't really expect that they'd ever make the curved sections and so even when clearanced, I didn't get any of the WM Cantina sets.

Rogue II
09-15-2007, 11:07 PM
This picture (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:MEC.JPG) shows the end of the curve. What they really need to do is make a slightly curved piece to go between the two, but I think a normal section will do fine for the time being since Wuher needs to be able to move comfortably around both sides of the distillery and the distillery is fairly wide.

Adding a slightly curved piece between the existing curved pieces won't work because of the way hook together. Like I said earlier, they should have had 4 smaller curves hook together to create the curved section.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-16-2007, 12:11 AM
Adding a slightly curved piece between the existing curved pieces won't work because of the way hook together. Like I said earlier, they should have had 4 smaller curves hook together to create the curved section.
Yeah, after I wrote that I looked at how I currently have a few of the pieces and it wouldn't work. It seems they just made a miniature version of the shape of the curve (when Elis's and M'iiyoom's sections are together), which kind of sucks.

Jargo
09-17-2007, 10:22 AM
the plans of the cantina in the technical manual are wrong. for a start there's one too many alcoves on the right side. it's completely missing the dome to the back and right of the front entrance. the office isn't behind the bar what's in that little room area is a further part of the still where the pumps and so on are.

personally i'm removing the bar from the bases. i have a spare straight section to customise. not sure how i'll do that but it will work. I'll make it work.

JediTricks
09-18-2007, 05:38 AM
I picked up Elis Helrot at the store, the curve definitely will need the full width of the straight section to pull off the drink dispenser at an accurate size. JabbaJohn's pic confirms what I was saying, the dispenser is around twice as wide as Wuher. I could see shaving off maybe 1/6th of the straight, but nowhere near as much as the quarter or half folks are talking about here.

The paint and sculpt mismatches between the curve and the straight pieces don't bother me that much, but what I cannot fathom is why the tabs on the curve are too shallow to work with the floor slots on the straight, that's totally ridiculous, they're nearly a millimeter different.

This picture (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:MEC.JPG) shows the end of the curve. What they really need to do is make a slightly curved piece to go between the two, but I think a normal section will do fine for the time being since Wuher needs to be able to move comfortably around both sides of the distillery and the distillery is fairly wide.Here's the thing, the current curves are 90 degrees each, putting any further curve between them will end up going past 180 - essentially you'd be making most of a full a circle rather than a semicircle. There's no way the pieces we have can EVER do the curve justice, it's physically impossible. And Hasbro really couldn't have done this right no matter what, even if they had the curves in 45 degree pieces it'd still be about half the width as it needs to be, and you'd need to buy 4 of them. Still, it'd be better than what we got.

(http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:MScantina_schematics.jpg)When I get to the new house, I think I'll set it up with four straight pieces on each side and the last straight piece between the curved ones. Not completely accurate but good enough.I don't think you need 4 pieces to accommodate that, 2 or 3 at the most per side.

I have 1 single pack straight piece and 3 straight pieces from a cantina kmart 3pack, but would need 1 more to go between the curve pieces... I'm not sure I want to do that.

jedi master sal
09-18-2007, 08:46 AM
The curved bar pieces could have worked if Hasbro would have made the diameter bigger. Now that would have meant that they would have had to cut the curve into more sections. Either 4 pieces at 45 degrees or 3 pieces at 60 degrees (my preference). This way the pieces would still have been able to fit into a carded bubble AND Hasbro could have made another cantina figure that would have been a sure seller to complete the bar setup.

The problem was that Hasbro started off with such a small diameter curve piece that they can't do justice to the bar now without redoing the curves and that's highly unlikely now.

JON9000
09-18-2007, 04:33 PM
If hasbro were to make the distillery, who would they release it with? Wuhrer has been done, TWICE now. There's not to many patrons left, but I don't think it would be right to sell the distillery with a patron. Hmm, maybe Chalmun? (The Wookiee owner of the cantina.)

REPACK!!!

Actually, I am surprised these two were not part of some repack. I would like a distillery, but it is looking gloomy. Thanks for asking for the pics with the extra section though, I wanted to see that as well.

El Chuxter
09-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Here's an idea:

Take the best parts of VOTC Chewie, Senator Yarua, and the various ROTS Wookiees. Slap some paint on the new figure, and give him an apron. Call him Chalmun. (It should be a pretty close approximation, if not 100% spot-on. Of course, Wookiees kinda look alike, and there aren't many pics of Chalmun, so it could easily be 100% right just by kitbashing him.) Pack him with the distillery. Sell him online for $14.99. It might sound like a lot, but it's a really obscure, minor EU character (albeit a cool one) with an accessory that would never, ever, ever see release at the retail level.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-18-2007, 06:11 PM
I don't think you need 4 pieces to accommodate that, 2 or 3 at the most per side.
Probably, but I'd rather use all the pieces I have (9 total - 3 from the individual WM sets and 6 from the Kmart 3-packs) instead of just having them sitting around somewhere else.

Tycho
09-18-2007, 09:33 PM
This is an exciting thread to follow with great pictures!

I'm glad to see so many others interested in making dioramas like I've always been.

That's cool.

JediTricks
09-19-2007, 02:55 AM
Probably, but I'd rather use all the pieces I have (9 total - 3 from the individual WM sets and 6 from the Kmart 3-packs) instead of just having them sitting around somewhere else.Perhaps they'd suit you better as trade bait? There's got to be a bunch of collectors who want straight pieces at this point who missed out - heck, even I'm still 1 short of making it the right width.

jlw
09-19-2007, 04:11 PM
the plans of the cantina in the technical manual are wrong. for a start there's one too many alcoves on the right side. it's completely missing the dome to the back and right of the front entrance. the office isn't behind the bar what's in that little room area is a further part of the still where the pumps and so on are.

personally i'm removing the bar from the bases. i have a spare straight section to customise. not sure how i'll do that but it will work. I'll make it work.

The plans from the technical journal are definitely all wrong. Here is my take on the cantina floor plan: http://cantinacustoms.tripod.com/id20.htm
scroll down and you will see my own drawing of the cantina floor plan. I tried to be as movie accurate as possible. Currently I am working on a full diorama of the Cantina. Once I tried putting everything to a 3-3/4" scale I realized where I could have tweaked that floor plan even more to make the foyer smaller. Also check out this page of my site: http://cantinacustoms.tripod.com/id25.htm for even more information about the Cantina. I am a Cantinaholic! Haven't found Elis or Mi'yoom in central Arkansas yet. I'm just about ready to order them online.

The curved bar end that comes with them is all messed up. I'm hoping that with the rumors of Hasbro working with Sideshow coupled with the rumor of a Cantina alcove with chairs and a table; in addition to Hasbro's responses in the Q&As of them "working" on the distillery; that maybe sometime in the next couple of years they'll give us some stuff to make a really nice diorama. Until then I'm gonna customize my own curved section of the bar.

Jason

Droid
09-19-2007, 05:37 PM
That was really awesome! Good work!

jedi master sal
09-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Good resource page. I'll have to bookmark that for future reference. Thanks for sharing.

JediTricks
09-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Nicely done Jason! I had never heard of "Little Aunt Beru" before.

pbarnard
09-19-2007, 06:33 PM
That's the same floor plan I used. I'm already working on how to redo it (5+ years from now).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-19-2007, 06:59 PM
Perhaps they'd suit you better as trade bait? There's got to be a bunch of collectors who want straight pieces at this point who missed out - heck, even I'm still 1 short of making it the right width.
No, I'm not trading any of my loose stuff, ever. That just seems weird to me as an anal collector. By that I don't mean I collect anuses. I . . . let's just move on . . .

That character layout will definitely come in handy when I make my diorama. Nice work!

jlw
09-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Nicely done Jason! I had never heard of "Little Aunt Beru" before.

The name is listed in the character sketches at the bottom of the page along with "Flash Gordan Midget". Thanks for the props guys, I am continuously working to make it the "ultimate power in the universe" for Cantina information.

Jason

Kidhuman
09-19-2007, 08:14 PM
JLW, that is an awesome set up. Blows anything Hasbro did away.

Droid
09-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the props guys, I am continuously working to make it the "ultimate power in the universe" for Cantina information.

Have you ever figured out how big an actual cantina floor plan would be and then have you figured out how big it would be to be properly scaled for action figures?

Just having the current cantina figures set up takes up a pretty big space. I would think a cantina setup would be bigger than a card table.

stillakid
09-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Have you ever figured out how big an actual cantina floor plan would be and then have you figured out how big it would be to be properly scaled for action figures?

Just having the current cantina figures set up takes up a pretty big space. I would think a cantina setup would be bigger than a card table.

I think it's 20 cubits x 40 cubits x 60 cubits. Or maybe that's the Ark... :confused:

Droid
09-19-2007, 11:04 PM
I'd love to see that kind of site about Jabba's Palace!

jlw
09-19-2007, 11:06 PM

I've got some foamcore cut out and a basic floorplan drawn on it to scale with 3-3/4" figures. I am making the Cantina in 4 differrent pieces: the main floor with bar and back alcoves; the left side 2 alcoves; the right side 2 alcoves; and the entrance/foyer and 2 alcoves. I don't have an exact measurement, but its pretty big.

By the way JT did you see on my "Resource" page were I quoted you from these forums??

"The cantina sequence made major impact upon a society and truly did something that no film before or after had ever been able to duplicate in terms of creating a rich and full sci-fi environment, it became a staple of cinematic history"
JediTricks as posted on SirStevesguide.

I totally agree with this!!

Jason

pbarnard
09-20-2007, 12:07 PM
I'd love to see that kind of site about Jabba's Palace!

Actually the WEG did make the same thing for Jabba's Palace.

http://www.ffurg.com/references/jabba.htm

Also used this to build the Central room, but not the entrance or bandstand/display room

JediTricks
09-20-2007, 09:32 PM
No, I'm not trading any of my loose stuff, ever. That just seems weird to me as an anal collector. By that I don't mean I collect anuses. I . . . let's just move on . . .AHAHAHAHAHA! And it never occurred to me either, so you busted yourself there.

I know what you mean, I'm really clingy with my stuff too. It was just a thought though.

The name is listed in the character sketches at the bottom of the page along with "Flash Gordan Midget". Haw! That's funny then, I guess I have heard of her because I own SW Chronicles and remember the page, just not that text. Excellent finds, you really scoured the available materials. I didn't get the SW Magic CD-ROM so I hadn't seen the B&W shots from the original cantina shoot, Walrusman's severed flipper-hand is a new visual for me - I had seen the flippers on the standing guy, but only known this shot for the severed arm: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Pbarm.jpg
It amazes me that they DIDN'T originally get it wrong, that they thought it through correctly but had to change it later.

I think it's 20 cubits x 40 cubits x 60 cubits. Or maybe that's the Ark... :confused:Six kaddam, and take back one kadam for the Hebrew god whose ark this is. Wait, wrong ark, that's the measurements to the Staff of Ra.

By the way JT did you see on my "Resource" page were I quoted you from these forums??

"The cantina sequence made major impact upon a society and truly did something that no film before or after had ever been able to duplicate in terms of creating a rich and full sci-fi environment, it became a staple of cinematic history"
JediTricks as posted on SirStevesguide.

I totally agree with this!!Ha!!! I suck so bad, I saw the quote on your page and didn't notice who it was attributed to. :p I thought "yeah, really, I know what he means" when I read it on your page... I sure as heck hope I know what the author meant! :D I'm glad my comment rang true for ya. It's easy for folks today to forget just how right that moment was, how much the cantina worked on our society despite imperfections - that's the real power and magic of cinema and of Star Wars, and why Lucas going back and changing things can never really feel "right".

I've got some foamcore cut out and a basic floorplan drawn on it to scale with 3-3/4" figures. I am making the Cantina in 4 differrent pieces: the main floor with bar and back alcoves; the left side 2 alcoves; the right side 2 alcoves; and the entrance/foyer and 2 alcoves. I don't have an exact measurement, but its pretty big.I did some rough calculations based on your drawings and the blueprint for the bar you linked to, the cantina would be 81.8' by 63' in the outer walls (I didn't count those little parts that jut out) and the interior would be 68.6' by 57.4' (wall to wall, from the apex of the entrance area to the rooms behind the bar). Scaled down to the figures' 1:18 scale, that's 4.5' x 3.5' exterior, and 3.8' by 3.2' interior.

timmae
09-20-2007, 11:02 PM
HEre are the pics I took of the finished Cantina. Enjoy them
very nice kidhuman, got to love happy hour. i just got yoda and yaddle sitting on one piece. if anyone has an extra rounded bar piece, pm me.

stillakid
09-21-2007, 01:40 PM
very nice kidhuman, got to love happy hour. i just got yoda and yaddle sitting on one piece. if anyone has an extra rounded bar piece, pm me.

I just had this vision of Yoda on all fours puking in the alley outside the Cantina. :yes:

"Ohhhh, f'ing puke I must. Outta my way" BLAAAACHHH SPLOOSSSHHHH

jlw
09-21-2007, 02:42 PM
AHAHAHAHAHA! And it never occurred to me either, so you busted yourself there.

I know what you mean, I'm really clingy with my stuff too. It was just a thought though.

Haw! That's funny then, I guess I have heard of her because I own SW Chronicles and remember the page, just not that text. Excellent finds, you really scoured the available materials. I didn't get the SW Magic CD-ROM so I hadn't seen the B&W shots from the original cantina shoot, Walrusman's severed flipper-hand is a new visual for me - I had seen the flippers on the standing guy, but only known this shot for the severed arm: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Pbarm.jpg
It amazes me that they DIDN'T originally get it wrong, that they thought it through correctly but had to change it later.

Six kaddam, and take back one kadam for the Hebrew god whose ark this is. Wait, wrong ark, that's the measurements to the Staff of Ra.

Ha!!! I suck so bad, I saw the quote on your page and didn't notice who it was attributed to. :p I thought "yeah, really, I know what he means" when I read it on your page... I sure as heck hope I know what the author meant! :D I'm glad my comment rang true for ya. It's easy for folks today to forget just how right that moment was, how much the cantina worked on our society despite imperfections - that's the real power and magic of cinema and of Star Wars, and why Lucas going back and changing things can never really feel "right".

I did some rough calculations based on your drawings and the blueprint for the bar you linked to, the cantina would be 81.8' by 63' in the outer walls (I didn't count those little parts that jut out) and the interior would be 68.6' by 57.4' (wall to wall, from the apex of the entrance area to the rooms behind the bar). Scaled down to the figures' 1:18 scale, that's 4.5' x 3.5' exterior, and 3.8' by 3.2' interior.

A member over at rebelscum said that he scaled out my drawing for 3-3/4" figures and it came to like 315% of my drawing. Now, once I started making my own diorama (I've drawn out the floorplan on foamcore to scale with my original drawing which was shrunk down for the website) I realized that there were some changes that needed to be made. With my diorama, I am not making a "power room" but converted it to more of a closet (like R2 & 3PO hid in). By doing that it made the foyer a little smaller and truer to the scale of the actual set. Also, I didn't make the exterior walls as thick. I only drew them that way because of the graph paper I was working with. Also, the band stage had to be tweaked just a bit. I had to make that alcove a little wider and deeper to get all SEVEN MEMBERS of the Modal Nodes on stage. The actual opening of the alcove remained the same so it blends in nice with the Cantina. I am taking pictures as I go, but it is a slow process with work and children, so it may be next summer before I am finished.

Lastly, if anyone has any pics of the Cantina or characters from the Cantina please email them to me. I heard there was some pics on hyperspace at one time (I am not a member) and would like to see them. I've emailed the Star Wars Insider about doing an issue on all the obscure background characters in the Cantina, but I've never seen my letter published in their mag. So, I just keep waiting.

Jason

Kidhuman
09-21-2007, 02:53 PM
For any members of the cantina try going to www.red6.tk They have em all.

jlw
09-21-2007, 03:04 PM
By the way if you have not seen the original Cantina scene you can view it on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2QfUazFjTI&mode=related&search=Star%20Wars%20parody%20spoof

Something of note is the difference in the dialogue of the Greedo scene. You will notice that there is no mention of being boarded by Imperials because this was suppose to be in the Jabba scene, but when Lucas cut the Jabba scene he changed the dialogue in the Greedo scene to explain why Han had a debt on his head. However, when Lucas put the Jabba scene in the Special Edition, he did not change the dialogue from the Greedo scene. So, basically we get the same dialogue (exactly the same) in two scenes which doesn't flow too well. I wish they would have changed the dialogue back to the original. Also, I wish there was a way Lucas could restore some of the original shots from the Cantina and edit them into the movie to make a longer Cantina scene. Some of the shots are just classic like Leesub Sirlin, the Tonnika Twins smoking on a pipe, Solomahol & the Fly; plus in the original version it is easy to see that there were THREE Rodians in the Cantina, Han killed Greedo, and then we see the other two again in the Jabba scene. Hope you enjoy the original cut scene.

Jason

jlw
09-21-2007, 03:05 PM
For any members of the cantina try going to www.red6.tk They have em all.

I link to red6 on my character page. Its a good list, but not accurate. Some of the characters are based upon the Decipher card game, not the movie.

Jason

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-21-2007, 03:13 PM
That insert shot of the arm also brings up another question . . . what does the floor of the cantina actually look like? In that shot, it's somewhat of a tiled deal, with tiny cut squares in the floor. On the Hasbro versions (both the bar sections and cardboard version), it's a rocky sort of thing. Which is it really?

stillakid
09-21-2007, 03:18 PM
That insert shot of the arm also brings up another question . . . what does the floor of the cantina actually look like? In that shot, it's somewhat of a tiled deal, with tiny cut squares in the floor. On the Hasbro versions (both the bar sections and cardboard version), it's a rocky sort of thing. Which is it really?

I think it's more of a laminate, which just happens to be on sale this week at Home Depot! :yes:

JediTricks
09-21-2007, 06:10 PM
A member over at rebelscum said that he scaled out my drawing for 3-3/4" figures and it came to like 315% of my drawing. Based on my findings, your drawing's exterior is 9.7" wide by 12.3" high (I used a standard displayed 72dpi), so I don't see how it'd be only 315%, I came up with 440%.

Now, once I started making my own diorama (I've drawn out the floorplan on foamcore to scale with my original drawing which was shrunk down for the website) I realized that there were some changes that needed to be made. With my diorama, I am not making a "power room" but converted it to more of a closet (like R2 & 3PO hid in). By doing that it made the foyer a little smaller and truer to the scale of the actual set. Also, I didn't make the exterior walls as thick. I only drew them that way because of the graph paper I was working with. Also, the band stage had to be tweaked just a bit. I had to make that alcove a little wider and deeper to get all SEVEN MEMBERS of the Modal Nodes on stage. The actual opening of the alcove remained the same so it blends in nice with the Cantina. I am taking pictures as I go, but it is a slow process with work and children, so it may be next summer before I am finished.I suspect you'll need to make tweaks to stuff like the distance between figures and tables as well, since 1:18th plastic men can't really move in a realistic manner. :p If you want to get really technical, you'll run into issues where Han is sitting because his butt doesn't flatten and doesn't sink into the seat. But it sounds like you've got a really cool thing going and are making the right kinds of changes to make it totally work, I especially like dumping the power room for that room like the droids hide in.

Lastly, if anyone has any pics of the Cantina or characters from the Cantina please email them to me. I heard there was some pics on hyperspace at one time (I am not a member) and would like to see them. I've emailed the Star Wars Insider about doing an issue on all the obscure background characters in the Cantina, but I've never seen my letter published in their mag. So, I just keep waiting.If you haven't seen this, it's 6 pages total: http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/bts/article/f20030502/index.html

By the way if you have not seen the original Cantina scene you can view it on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2QfUazFjTI&mode=related&search=Star%20Wars%20parody%20spoof
Thanks for the link! I'll have to check it out later, it's loading slow right now, but I can already see it's a good one.

Something of note is the difference in the dialogue of the Greedo scene. You will notice that there is no mention of being boarded by Imperials because this was suppose to be in the Jabba scene, but when Lucas cut the Jabba scene he changed the dialogue in the Greedo scene to explain why Han had a debt on his head. However, when Lucas put the Jabba scene in the Special Edition, he did not change the dialogue from the Greedo scene. So, basically we get the same dialogue (exactly the same) in two scenes which doesn't flow too well. I wish they would have changed the dialogue back to the original. Also, I wish there was a way Lucas could restore some of the original shots from the Cantina and edit them into the movie to make a longer Cantina scene. Some of the shots are just classic like Leesub Sirlin, the Tonnika Twins smoking on a pipe, Solomahol & the Fly; plus in the original version it is easy to see that there were THREE Rodians in the Cantina, Han killed Greedo, and then we see the other two again in the Jabba scene. Hope you enjoy the original cut scene.Even before I knew there was earlier dialogue, when we saw the changes in the SE it was apparent that Lucas fumbled the Jabba dialogue by leaving it SO similar to the Greedo dialogue.

That insert shot of the arm also brings up another question . . . what does the floor of the cantina actually look like? In that shot, it's somewhat of a tiled deal, with tiny cut squares in the floor. On the Hasbro versions (both the bar sections and cardboard version), it's a rocky sort of thing. Which is it really?It's a raised gridwork filled with sand or something, like a lattice for concrete (probably that's exactly what it is): http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/6/6b/Pbarm.jpg

It looks like a flat floor in long shots, but there's 1 photo JLW's site that confirms the lattice is what they used...
page: http://cantinacustoms.tripod.com/id20.htm
photo: http://cantinacustoms.tripod.com/2522cbc0.jpg

Look specifically at the middle of the photo, just in front of Kitik Keed'kak's skirt, you can just make it out.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-21-2007, 06:32 PM
So you're essentially saying that Hasbro is completely wrong. :dead:

JediTricks
09-22-2007, 02:01 AM
No, no, I'd never say that. :rolleyes: Yeah, they tanked it twice.

jlw
09-22-2007, 10:20 PM
I lucked out and found both Elis and Mii'yoom at my local Wal-Mart today!! They didn't have the Holiday Special Boba or the CZ droid (those are the other two major "wants" on my list).

By the way, since this is a "customs" forum and we've been talking about dioramas here is a link to my dioramas page with my first attempt at a Cantina diorama. There is also a pic of a custom Cantina alcove a guy was selling on ebay. Its one of the best alcoves I've seen:

http://cantinacustoms.tripod.com/id24.htm

Jason

Tycho
09-26-2007, 01:40 AM
I liked his paint upgrades a lot - especially Dagobah actually. Those pictures were really good!