PDA

View Full Version : SSG's Bi-Weekly Hasbro Q&A - September 14th

JediTricks
09-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Didja forget that today would have Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for September 14, 2007? Because here they are. Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them.

Hasbro Q&A for the week of September 14th

Q: In releasing the new Cantina bar curve sections, several issues have arisen for fans' cantina setups: The first is that the sharp curve of those sections is too close to allow for any future release of the drink dispenser. For that issue, if there ever is a dispenser made, would you consider including a shorter straight section to go between the curves? (Shorter because the current straight seems too long for this purpose, it would break up the look of the curve too much.) The second issue is that there is a mismatch between the look of the curved sections and the previously-released straight sections due to a number of paint and even sculpted detail differences. What about releasing more straight sections with a deco and sculpt to better match up to the curves, as well as add the removable barstool feature they have (perhaps with plugs to make a flat floor)?
A: We have been trying to figure out how the distillery section would work, and there are challenges as you point out but a few ways to solve. We have also thought about a smaller straight bar section, but that's an expensive piece for a small effect and collectors could probably just use another straight section (perhaps a good excuse to re-release). We will not be resculpting the straight bar section, though. If we release it in the future and if we do that, we'll look for deco to more closely match the curved section.

- -

Q: The Titanium Series 3" Star Wars vehicle collection is growing larger and larger. When counted against the Galoob's Star Wars Micro Machines line (the expansive original, not their die-cast), the math shows that there were 87 Micro Machines covering the OT, EU, and Episode I, if we subtract the reissues like battle-damaged, speederbikes with new characters, etc., there were 72 unique vehicles. Meanwhile, Hasbro's Titanium line has 101 Star Wars vehicles including single packs, exclusives, and 5-packs (but not gold or silver versions) counting up to 2007 wave 4. However, if we subtract reissues like repaints, there are just 48 unique Titanium vehicles - and 19 of those are reissues from the old Galoob Die Cast line. While we are thankful just to have any line of small Star Wars vehicles, one does wonder if 53 repaints out of 101 may have a negative impact. What does Hasbro think about this issue?
A: Repaints are an inevitability for a line like Titanium, and thanfully the range of on- and off-screen opportunities that have presented themselves over the years give us the confidence to commission new tools knowing that we will be able to get multiple decos out of them. We will say that we are going to be judicious about which ones that we are going to be repainting, and going more toward the fleet approach when it makes sense (Red Squadron, Gold Squadron, EU squadrons even) and less toward the pewter/battle-damage route.

- -

Q: With the success of the latest Jawa sculpt, might Hasbro consider creating a Jawa/droid-themed multipack or battle pack? One possible suggestion could be 2 or 3 Jawas perhaps with cloth capes, an ANH/Kenner vintage Gonk droid repaint, R1-G4, and perhaps R5-D4 that uses the R4-G9 retractable leg body. Has there been any thought given to creating such a set already?
A: That's a cool idea, but we're not ready to go with such a Jawa-focused set yet. The ideas for the droids are good ones and perhaps those can be used down the line, even if not in a set like this.

- -

And the questions at ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=1384):
While the last Jabba we got (Saga Ultra) looked nice, his limited articulation and hard plastic body don't lend him to many alternate poses, so he's a bit boring. What about the idea of doing a new Jabba with an internal skeleton/under-frame for more articulation underneath a rubber skin similar to the Jabba Glob Ep I figure which had a decent look and much more mobility? It seems a shame that action figures of Jabba - who is such a major character - can never be able to move his mouth, arms, and tail at least somewhat like he does in the film. (It could even be released in a special battle pack, or in the $20 vehicles wave, with a full throne and more, even possibly a resculpted sitting Slave Leia.)
At Comic-Con, you showed off '08 basic wave 1 and in it was the Octuptarra Droid. However, what was shown actually had the details of the much larger Tri-Droid - another ROTS droid that was an upsized, remodeled version of the smaller Octuptarra Droid - so the feet, guns, and eyes on what you showed are from the wrong design. Will these details be corrected so that it truly is the Octuptarra Droid?
In regards to the Indiana Jones line, what types of ideas are being considered? Would it be safe to assume that characters like Mola Ram, the giant Thugee guard, Temple of Doom "wear & tear" Indy with torn shirt and missing sleeve, Henry Jones Sr., Willie Scott, and Short Round are good possibilities? After all, they do all seem like logical choices. Will the Star Wars Battle Pack and Comic 2-Pack concepts be used in the Indiana Jones line? How about Indy role-play accessories?

Tycho
09-14-2007, 07:13 PM
The Indiana Jones role-play accessories brought up an interesting point.

When I was a child, my friends and I hit each other so hard with the Kenner plastic lightsabers that we ended up needing stitches and our parents took them away from us for a while. That was great fun and real blood was shown for the sweat we put into our combat performance.

Now with the Indy roleplay toys being a possibility, I wonder what are chances of getting a real working replica of Indy's bullwhip are? What great fun that could be - especially now that we're older and have girlfriends and spouses!

Jaff
09-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Jaff's query quesion for Hasbro

Dear Hasbro, I love the figures you make. I respect what you try to do for collectors, and I've been loyal since the 70's. Yet I really would like you to clarify a question posed to you on August 31, 2007. Here is the question you were given.

Q: Originally, it seemed that Saga Legends was supposed to compliment the main TAC line, so as to have multiple "new" figures out at once. However, wave 3 of the main line started showing up at the end of May, and here in mid-August wave 4 is barely starting to show up - yet the first 2 waves of Saga Legends are steadily coming in. Did you stop shipping figures from the main TAC line for a while in order to focus on Saga Legends? If so, wouldn't that be the opposite of the intended goal of simultaneous shipping? Will more waves of the main line be pushed back this year to allow for Saga Legends figures to gain momentum? Right now fans are getting frustrated at the current lack of authentically new product on shelves and are worrying that the final few months of 2007 will be an avalanche.

Your answer was:

A: The actual figure lines themselves are managed completely separately and replenishment to stores is based on demand and sell-through, as long as we can supply inventory as need. Delays with the coins have held up the basic figure schedules so far (as well as Saga Legends), but that should all be settled down now and you will see more regular wave deliveries.

My question is:

In most retail stores the shelves had been empty for months. When we got in stock shipments for the last two months we get double legends cases than new figs, thus the rate of sale for new figs is already handicaped. Legends ships in at least 7 stores around me dominantly. Rate of sale cannot be established when we get 10 cases of legends figures, and 2 cases of new figs a month. Help me to understand your answer better, because from my vantage point, and many collectors it is the new figs that compliment the Legends line. I understand you had a hold up with coins, does this mean that in the near future the new figs will be more dominant than legends now that that problem is fixed?

Devo
09-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Love their answer about the cantina bar in an 'actually I hate it' kind of way.

Only now, after they make the curved sections, are they trying to figure out how the distillery will work into it. Likewise they will only now attempt to match the paint decor on the sections by rereleasing...again..the original bar pieces. Sort of like how Lucas is retroactively changing the original trilogy to match the prequel trilogy rather than following the templates he originally set down when making the new ones which is how I once foolishly assumed it would go.

Why, praytell, didn't they think about these bar issues beforehand?? Did they not know that they would be doing the distillery when they decided at last to do the curved sections? Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't they at least announced at the same time?? And exactly what prevented them from realising what way they had painted the straight sections so that they could paint the curved sections accordingly? I knew all this would happen, I just don't understand how and why it was so inevitable.

Presumably the 'solutions' they speak of will entail shrinking the distillery to a minute size and expecting us to jam wuher haphazardly between it and the bar. :rolleyes:

Cane_Adiss
09-16-2007, 12:43 PM
I've been hoping to see a figure of a Mon Calamari Dancer ever since I saw the striking concept art by Aaron McBride in the "Art of Revenge" book. I was wondering if this figure was planned for a release any time soon, and since you recently confirmed there will be no more concept figures next year I was wondering would you treat this figure as a "concept art" figure (I suppose meaning we won't see this anytime soon) or a regular movie figure, as she was actually in Revenge of the Sith (only not very clearly) utilizing this design. Is this figure in the works? And if you were to make her, would you name her?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Jaff and Cane_Adiss, new questions for Hasbro go in the Questions for Hasbro - Round ## thread, not this one.

JediTricks
09-18-2007, 05:01 AM
There's no physical way to fit the drink dispenser or ANYTHING else in there, the curve is exactly wide enough for 1 figure. My calculations suggest that an accurate drink dispenser would be around 2 Wuhers-wide, and the current straight section is the only thing wide enough to let that fit while still allowing Wuher on either side. I think they totally goofed on this though, the curve's tabs don't even fit the straight's floor slots, it's a real mess.

El Chuxter
09-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Just stick IG-88 in there. That's what Lucas did.

Maybe that's why Hasbro's made three of the damn piece of set dressing. :rolleyes:

Devo
09-18-2007, 01:54 PM
There's no physical way to fit the drink dispenser or ANYTHING else in there, the curve is exactly wide enough for 1 figure. My calculations suggest that an accurate drink dispenser would be around 2 Wuhers-wide, and the current straight section is the only thing wide enough to let that fit while still allowing Wuher on either side. I think they totally goofed on this though, the curve's tabs don't even fit the straight's floor slots, it's a real mess.

:rolleyes: superb. So I might aswell keep it as I have it right now - with the curved part of the card diorama celotaped to the straight plastic bar sections. I was so looking forward to doing away with that. It was fine as a preliminary bit of kitbashing but I wanted to complete the bar properly. Now it seems Hasbro have utterly failed on all counts to help collectors achieve that. Idiots

JediTricks
09-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Yeah, it looks like they totally blew it.

Kidhuman
09-18-2007, 09:20 PM
:rolleyes: superb. So I might aswell keep it as I have it right now - with the curved part of the card diorama celotaped to the straight plastic bar sections. I was so looking forward to doing away with that. It was fine as a preliminary bit of kitbashing but I wanted to complete the bar properly. Now it seems Hasbro have utterly failed on all counts to help collectors achieve that. Idiots

DEvo, I have pics of it completed in the diorama section, it is way too small, and I also included what it looks like of you put a straight piece between the curves.