PDA

View Full Version : The Higher Cost of Unleaded

Ji'dai
09-14-2007, 11:12 PM
The cost of safety testing on imported toys will be passed onto consumers beginning next year. Expect to see a 10% price increase on many mass market toy lines in 2008.

Currently, U.S. manufacturers and retailers are bearing the cost of safety testing on imports, but that will change after the 2007 holiday season.

Most retailers have already placed orders for product for the holiday shopping season, so prices shouldn't rise until after Christmas.

I know Mattel and Fisher~Price have been hit hardest with the toy recalls, so I'm not sure how Hasbro will be affected. Whether we'll see a 10% price increase on Star Wars, GI JOE, or Transformers is anyone's guess.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20763018/

El Chuxter
09-14-2007, 11:25 PM
...I'm not sure how Hasbro will be affected. Whether we'll see a 10% price increase on Star Wars, GI JOE, or Transformers is anyone's guess.

Wait, hold on a second. Hasbro has an excuse this time to jack up the prices, and you wonder if they will?

Yeah, they will.

General_Grievous
09-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Prices would have gone up sooner or later.

BTW, I was expecting this to be a gas thread when I read that title.

plasticfetish
09-15-2007, 02:42 AM
Most important part of the article...

"Anita Frazier, toy analyst at market research company NPD Group Inc., added that higher prices will stick around because some toy makers will shift a portion of their production from China to the U.S. or Europe, where labor is more expensive."

Yeah, maybe more expensive, but bringing those jobs back over here gives people in this country the money to buy their toys. Not to mention, a better chance to do the kind of quality control that needs to be done, and it'll allow for a shorter turn around time between design and production.

What really amazes me, is how they're acting like safety testing is a new thing, and that it's some kind of huge burden. It's nothing new. Laziness and greed have obviously caused these companies to lose sight of what their real mission is. It's just as much about providing the consumer with a quality product as it is about making a dollar.

For anyone to blame anyone else is ridiculous. If Mattel's toys have dangerous levels of lead in them, then it's Mattel's fault... not just some factory in China. Mattel decides how or where to manufacture their product, and if they decide to go with a slave labor factory in an oppressive communist country, then they probably shouldn't be surprised that they're getting cr*p in return.