PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow to make 3 3/4 Playsets?

Blue2th
09-16-2007, 03:21 PM
While browsing all the various SW websites, I came across this in the Q&A from Galactic Hunter. Interesting scenario if it does indeed come true http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=6724&zoneid=2

Sinscia Fat'o
09-16-2007, 03:36 PM
I seen that as well, i think its great news as long as the price isn't to sticky, i can say i hope they lean toward the OT for right now, and do the prequels after seeing whether or not this formula works out for both side show, and hasbro. Though i do have to admit i seen this coming when hasbro said they couldnt move playsets, and gave sideshow rights to do the 12 inch scale figures. If i have to chose a few playsets, i gotta admit, a Death Star would be great, but i would hate to see the price of such a piece, and would probably skip it if went over 100 bucks... A bespin playset would also be very cool, as would a hoth command center/echo base playset, one of my wish list items that i thought i would never see.

mtriv73
09-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Depending on how much these cost, I'd be very interested. What scenes do you think they might make? I'd say: the cantina, maybe Ben's place on tatooine, the carbon freezing chamber, possibly the big walkway Luke and Vader fight on, Jabbas throne room, the emperors throne room. Maybe a few others, but they'd have to be iconic sets (falcon cockpit maybe?)

JediTricks
09-16-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm hoping Sideshow can pull this off. I also hope however that they avoid using high-end materials as they usually do, just stick to ABS and PVC, help keep the costs down and deliver a good product rather than a "masterpiece" like the Attakus stuff which is perfect but totally unaffordable.

Kidhuman
09-16-2007, 06:34 PM
I am with you guys also. I hope they arent too pricy and limited either. 1000 of each wont cut it for the collectors out there.

I would love to see a Cantina, Bespin, Hoth, Dagobah, Endor, Tatooine.

Tycho
09-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Theed Palace
Trade Federation Ship Interior
Otah Gunga
Galactic Senate
Pod Race Arena
Pod Race Hanger
Anakin's slave hovel
Jedi Temple / High Council Chambers
Club Outlander
Dexter's Diner
Padme's Apartment
Supreme Chancellor's Office
Kamino Cloning Facility
Clone Trooper Quartermaster's
Jango Fett's apartment
Slave-One's landing platform
Lars' Homestead
Geonosian Droid Foundry
Geonosian Execution Arena
Invisible Hand Bridge Set
Invisible Hand Observation Tower Room
Mustafar Control Room
Mustafar mining platforms
Polis Masan medical lab
Palpatine's private medical facility for Darth Vader
Utopau landing zone
Death Star
Yavin Base
Mos Eisley Cantina
Millennium Falcon interiors (like Attikus' -only affordable)
Echo Base trenches
Echo Base Sickbay
Echo Base hanger
Star Destroyer Bridge
Cloud City Dinning Room
Cloud City Freezing Chamber
Cloud City Climate Control Room, Gantry
Yoda's swamp / hut / tree cave
Jabba's Throne Room
Rancor Pit
Pit of Carkoon
Ewok Village
Endor Shield Bunker and Landing Platform
Home One Bridge
Home One Conference Room
Home One Docking Bay
Emperor's Throne Room
Death Star II Docking Bay

Anything else I forgot that would be totally cool as well!

Jargo
09-16-2007, 08:12 PM
cantina and jabba's palace would do it for me.

Blue2th
09-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Anything else I forgot that would be totally cool as well!
Ah... yeah, I can't believe you didn't mention Jabba's Sailbarge. :ninja:
Though technically a vehicle, Zizzle calls the Black Pearl a "playset", so in my book the Sailbarge is a playset. Yeah that's it we'll call it a playset. For now.

El Chuxter
09-16-2007, 08:45 PM
While it sounds cool, how incredibly pathetic is it that one of the two biggest toy companies in the world can't pull off large figures or playsets, and has to contract them out?

And why the hell won't they subcontract the damned Unleashed line? I want a ****ing Qui-Gon, you dillweeds! :mad:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-16-2007, 08:49 PM
We'll see how this pans out. Even if they were just non-moving scenery pieces that would be totally awesome. I wouldn't want a retread of too much existing stuff, though (we already have the cantina bar).

K M Toydarian
09-17-2007, 12:09 PM
This could be good if we het this, but for about $3100.00 less...
http://www.fao.com/catalog/category.jsp?parentCategoryId=104&categoryId=104

Seriously though, a Sideshow playset geared toward adult collectors could be fun, and push Hasbro to keep quality standards up on the figures. OT is the safest bet though to see this off the ground. A Cantina big enough for Hasbro's bar (Should be a new bar, but then why did I buy all those extra aliens for the bar pieces?) would be great with booths and the middle bar part all detailed.

stillakid
09-17-2007, 12:48 PM
This could be good if we het this, but for about $3100.00 less...
http://www.fao.com/catalog/category.jsp?parentCategoryId=104&categoryId=104

No doubt that that set is cool looking, but only good for about 2 minutes of screentime fun.

I think that this is a good example of why MODULAR playsets are a BAD IDEA. While a very very small number of collectors would wait in line overnight at TRU to buy them, the single use modular concept is limiting in playability. The better idea is the ALL IN ONE playset that looks like something from the movie. The Falcon/Hanger set above is very cool looking, but without more of the Death Star to play with, they'll NEVER get Mom to buy little Timmy anything of the sort unless it cost about $10 bucks. For $100, she might be more willing to buy a playset that looks like the Death Star with a lot more rooms and "stuff" for Timmy to do (to keep the brat out of her hair for the afternoon). But a "one off" playset that had two short scenes from the movie is a waste of time except for the three uber-dork collectors on the planet who like to dust scale replicas of their favorite movie scenes.

jedi master sal
09-17-2007, 02:06 PM
The following was my response in another forum regarding this subject, with a subsequent followup post:
Original post:
Given the cost of SSC's 12 inch figs, I'm NOT looking forward to their pricing for playsets. And you just know it's going to be a mad freakin' rush for them to and they'll all be exclusive. SSC while doing decent work is one of the last I would want to do playsets. Based almost entirely on the exclusive crap (then the expected high price second). Just make ONE kind of set-not one that has an exclusive piece then another that doesn't.

That's going to **** me off to no end.

While some will say, I should be glad that there is even hope that playsets will be made, to me, not at the cost of being able to get them redily or having to pay through the nose for them.

I sure as hell hope they consider modular pieces, non exclusives and make them in decent numbers.

Playsets MUST be retail things, NOT internet sales. Kids must get a chacne at these too (meaning their parents to buy them for them). Having sales of playsets just through the internet would be a travesty to the youngin's as well as the many of fans who do not or WILL not buy from the net.

Followup post:
Sideshow does some nice work, but their limited releases of "playsets" are already priced out of the market for the average collector/kid/parent.

I honestly believe we need to see these at retail for them to succeed and for us to have any chance at getting the many different sets we'd like to see.

For the sake of it, I'll also "argue" the point of why Hasbro should not make the playsets.
It's obvious with just a little browsing on several mamjor collecting sites that people are more than displeased with Hasbro's efforts in playsets. Most feel playsets should be more* detailed, movie accurate. That's something Hasbro just can't do for the price most of us want to pay for them.

No doubts SSC can do and awesome job of detail, but the cost factor most likely, given what they've already manufactured and released is going to keep this subline from being a runaway success.

So the key to this is do we want TOY playsets that cost less and would be less detailed, yet available to everyone, OR do we want highly detailed sets at high prices that will take much longer to afford and collect for the average collector, with hardly any kid/parent support in the way of dollars spent?

Personaly I'd rather them be toy sets. I can add to them as I want.
I want these to be affordable and available to anyone who wants them for a reasonable price for the average consumer, not just collector.

I'll reserve judgement fully on SSC's efforts to make playsets, until we've seen them and know their pricepoints, however, I'm not overly optimistic that they can achieve what the market as a whole desires.
-Sal

jedi master sal
09-17-2007, 02:18 PM
No doubt that that set is cool looking, but only good for about 2 minutes of screentime fun.

I think that this is a good example of why MODULAR playsets are a BAD IDEA. While a very very small number of collectors would wait in line overnight at TRU to buy them, the single use modular concept is limiting in playability. The better idea is the ALL IN ONE playset that looks like something from the movie. The Falcon/Hanger set above is very cool looking, but without more of the Death Star to play with, they'll NEVER get Mom to buy little Timmy anything of the sort unless it cost about $10 bucks. For $100, she might be more willing to buy a playset that looks like the Death Star with a lot more rooms and "stuff" for Timmy to do (to keep the brat out of her hair for the afternoon). But a "one off" playset that had two short scenes from the movie is a waste of time except for the three uber-dork collectors on the planet who like to dust scale replicas of their favorite movie scenes.

Again, I'll counter you on this SK.
I've mentioned ad naseum that modular sets can and should connect to the larger "rooms" or all in one's as you keep saying.
The outline I've proposed here time and again illustrates that large playsets would be a factor in this line, while having smaller scene specific rooms accompany then AND be able to connect to them in a myriad of differnet ways to allow US the CHOICE of how we want to display them.
The Falcon Hangar is obviously one of those larger sets, but other scenes were just as iconic while happening in smaller rooms.
Personally I'd be VERY happy with the red control rom being made. It was in several scenes and can readily connect to the hangar. Small and large hallways can be done CHEAP as in the $10 range you mentioned, thereby giving us more to add on as we see fit for an inexpensive price.
I keep saying it that in my experience parents do NOT want to drop $100's of dollars on ONE toy. hey know it won't hold the ki'ds attention for long (in most cases). however smaller sets are more readily absorbed by the very same parents as tehy can keep their kids happier over time. I'd still rather see the large playsets for $50-60, them smaller rooms for $25-35, then the hallways/elevators, etc. at $10-15. Those are pills easier to swallow for just about everyone. And I'd venture to guess that in the long run, Hasbro would make MORE from many smaller stes than ONE large set.

Case in point, though the AT-AT isn't a playset, it's relative to the discussion. Every TRU I go to has way to many of these. At $100, it's just too much. Parents won't get it for their kids and many collectors already had it and didn't sse the need to buy it again just for a deco change or maybe one cool figure added to the set.

This is really a discussion that hasbro needs to take seriously and their time with.

There is no way they are gonig to appease us all, so opening the discussion up to the fan community can help, but also hinder as there are many viewpoints.

I think we can all agree though that we'd rather see playsets made regardless of how the are manufactured, rather then not having them made at all.

Tycho
09-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Here's the problem:

September, 2007

Dear SSG Members,

My name is Junior. I am 6 years old (my 30-something Dad helped me type this and spell everything correctly).

You guys like Star Wars stuff, huh? Can you tell me "WHAT is Star Wars?"

I was 3 years old when the last movie came out. My Dad said it was called "Revenge of the Sith," but 3 years ago is Soooooo OLD now. That's like half my lifetime ago!

I just saw Transformers in the movie theater, and Pirates of the Caribbean before that, and Spider-Man as well. They were cool. My Dad wants me to watch these Star Wars movies that you guys like. I don't really want to. They're like so old. That's what HE's into. I like to do my own thing - like with my Wii, X-Box 360, PS3, and all the other stuff I make him buy me. The games are on sale this week to: they are all $48 instead of $49! Whoo-hoo!

So you think that my favorite toy stores should take up precious space to sell toys from this OLD Star Wars stuff? I've seen it in there before. It doesn't ever appear to be selling - but heck - we go almost every day trying to find me the Transformers I'm missing.

Well, I hope you get your toys too. I'm not going to be any competition for you. Peace out.

El Chuxter
09-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Let's beat this dead horse again:

I see more kids buying SW than adults. They may not have as much to spend (meaning they're not buying all of Waves 5-6 when they see them just so they can), but there's more being spent by and for kids than by us.

That doesn't mean that, regardless of what Hasbro thinks, they don't want what we want. We were kids collecting this stuff once, too, and we wanted pretty much what we want now.

stillakid
09-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by some kid
September, 2007

Dear SSG Members,

My name is Junior. I am 6 years old (my 30-something Dad helped me type this and spell everything correctly).

You guys like Star Wars stuff, huh? Can you tell me "WHAT is Star Wars?"

I was 3 years old when the last movie came out. My Dad said it was called "Revenge of the Sith," but 3 years ago is Soooooo OLD now. That's like half my lifetime ago!

I just saw Transformers in the movie theater, and Pirates of the Caribbean before that, and Spider-Man as well. They were cool. My Dad wants me to watch these Star Wars movies that you guys like. I don't really want to. They're like so old. That's what HE's into. I like to do my own thing - like with my Wii, X-Box 360, PS3, and all the other stuff I make him buy me. The games are on sale this week to: they are all $48 instead of $49! Whoo-hoo!

So you think that my favorite toy stores should take up precious space to sell toys from this OLD Star Wars stuff? I've seen it in there before. It doesn't ever appear to be selling - but heck - we go almost every day trying to find me the Transformers I'm missing.

Well, I hope you get your toys too. I'm not going to be any competition for you. Peace out.

Dear Kid,

Good point. A big part of the problem is that George Lucas made three crappie movies, unlike the classics that got all of us ol' geesers interested back in the 1970s and 80s. So while on occasion we see young kids like you asking mom for a Star Wars toy, we do understand that George blew it big time and handed over the toy market to new franchises, like Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean.

So all that is really left in the Hasbro Star Wars toy market are a few aging collectors and a few kids here and there which is probably why Hasbro has recently resorted to the ol' coin trick that they tried in the last throes of the ROTJ line in '83. When the toys themselves aren't enough to draw in kids or enough market share, they resort to gimmicks. If that doesn't work enough, the death knell is sounded and the lines start to die off.

So, Timmy, maybe we'll hear from you again when the Star Wars TV shows kick in and Hasbro tries to resurrect interest by making characters from those episodes. In the meantime, us ol farts will buy whatever is out there and whine about what isn't, but in the end, we'll enjoy whatever we do have and keep on buyin'. :)

SAK

Tycho
09-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Dear Stillakid,

I am Junior's father. I am 30 years old and was around to be a fan the first time there were Star Wars fans, and collected the original line just as you did.

I even settled on liking the prequel movies that I saw in the waning days of my bachelorhood and I collected the figures from those films as well.

I understand there is going to be a TV show released that deals with the Clone Wars. The characters will include:

Yoda
Mace
Obi-Wan
Anakin
Ventress
Dooku
Durge
Sidious
Grievous
and various Jedi, droids, and Clone Troopers.

I already have multiples of these characters in my collection. If perhaps Junior is interested in the show, I'll buy him some of these characters again because I don't want him to open the mint-on-mint-cards that I have locked inside of my 7 safe-deposit-boxes and guarded with private security forces. Figures like Lushros Dofine that will sure to be valuable after the nuclear holocaust.

However, if Junior doesn't seem that excited about the show and I tire of employing Predator surveilance craft to guard my collection such that I can't afford to eat dinner out with my wife - I may just consent to giving Junior my figures of Anakin, Durge, Ventress, Grievous, etc. and not buy the same thing (or slightly altered versions) from Hasbro.

There is also the question about the live-action series. Currently, I watch live action series called The Shield, Smallville, Prison Break and the like, but I have no compulsion to buy action figures from these genres. Star Wars is different, because it is nostalgic to own a classic collection from the films I grew up with, as I also grew up with a different faximiliy of this collection when I was a kid. New characters from a new live-action series might not hold the same appeal, and choices need to be made because Junior tells me that they'll be releasing the Wii-Wii, PS-4, and X-Box 720 next and all the other kids at his school will have them - thus I have my family to think of first, before any half-hearted interest in collectibles from a TV show I have not yet even seen.

I wish you the best of luck if you are going to stick with collecting. Let me know if you'll be selling any of your stuff off though. I might actually buy THAT for myself when you offer it for 98% off.

Peace.

- Junior's Father

El Chuxter
09-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Dear Tycho and Stillakid,

I won't be buying any of these figures. Junior's Father bought too many toys, and it led to the demise of our marriage.

Yours truly,
Junior's Mom (and Junior's Father's Ex-Wife)

jedi master sal
09-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Comment by some kid to his mother:

Child: Mommy, why does uncle Mike have playsets for his Star Wars toys that I don't have.

Mother: Well, Mikey, it's because he gets them from the internet.

Child: Can I get those too?

Mother: They aren't available any more because the sold out.

Child: But we never saw them at the toy store.

Mother: That's because like I just said, they were only sold on the internet.

Child: Can we buy them off of the im-per-met.

Mother: That's "Internet," Mikey, and no we can't. They are too expensive now. They were even when they were first sold. Besides they were too big too and we couldn't afford to get one anyway.

Child: How's come you know so much about them?

Mother: Your uncle and I have spent a lot of time together and he tells me everything. Oh and he's not really your uncle.

Father: Hi honey I'm home. What were you just talking about.

Mother: (Nervously) Oh nothing...

And so ends the premiere episode of "As the Playset turns."

Blue2th
09-17-2007, 06:41 PM
You guys can argue this till your blue in the face. The fact is: we are not going to get playsets from Hasbro. End of story

Another fact: There is a market for playsets. For whom? Why it's us collectors who will pay whatever for them. (not attakus prices though) Hasbro says they can't make any money making them, so no retail playsets.

If people will pay outrageous amounts for Lego sets (at retail I might add) then surely collectors on-line will pay similar amounts for something really cool, that you can display (or play with) all your loose 500 plus figures on.
(Hey we might actually get something in scale now. That's a thought)

We all might lament the fact we will never see playsets in stores (or large vehicles called playsets) but at least if this comes to fruition we might have a chance at some really cool stuff. It's a start.

I for one will be one of the first in line at Priority Preorder (you know that's how it's gonna go down) to get mine. Sign me up, you've already got my CC number. Maybe I'll have to sell some of those Sideshow 12" Exclusives or Premium Formats I already bought. I think I would rather have the playsets if I had to choose.

Mister Roboto
09-17-2007, 07:27 PM
You guys can argue this till your blue in the face. The fact is: we are not going to get playsets from Hasbro. End of story

Another fact: There is a market for playsets. For whom? Why it's us collectors who will pay whatever for them. (not attakus prices though) Hasbro says they can't make any money making them, so no retail playsets.

If people will pay outrageous amounts for Lego sets (at retail I might add) then surely collectors on-line will pay similar amounts for something really cool, that you can display (or play with) all your loose 500 plus figures on.
(Hey we might actually get something in scale now. That's a thought)

We all might lament the fact we will never see playsets in stores (or large vehicles called playsets) but at least if this comes to fruition we might have a chance at some really cool stuff. It's a start.

I for one will be one of the first in line at Priority Preorder (you know that's how it's gonna go down) to get mine. Sign me up, you've already got my CC number. Maybe I'll have to sell some of those Sideshow 12" Exclusives or Premium Formats I already bought. I think I would rather have the playsets if I had to choose.

Good post. The first thing I thought of when I read SSC might get to make playsets is how they doubled the price of the 12" line when they took over.

But, this is probably the only option to get SW playsets. Hasbro already botched their half-***ed attempt at making the cantina bar and has been shooting down the idea of making playsets for a while. If sideshow makes playsets like the Cantina, Jabba's Palace, Dagobah, the Hoth Rebel Base, and maybe even Bespin, they will probably run somewhere between $50-$100 easy. I would guess they do the Death Star in several pieces. There is just too much to fit into one reasonably priced set.

If SSC does go through and make these things, it will generate a new round of complaints about figures no one talks about anymore. All of those older figures from the cantina like Muftak and Djas Puhr won't have the articulation to sit properly at their tables and so on. Is everyone up to buying all of those figures again?

Tycho
09-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Mister Roboto: SideShow has more than TRIPLED the cost of 12" figures!

Before tax, Hasbro's figures averaged $19.99 at Toys R Us or wherever. Even the exclusives with the Speederbikes were like $50.

Taxed, shipped, delivered, the average SideShow figure is $66 or more when all is said and done. I'm not complaining, as I don't collect them. I buy specific figures from their line that Hasbro never made (like ROTS Obi-Wan Kenobi - my favorite SideShow to date that I own 2 of)

Comment by some kid to his mother:

Child: Mommy, why does uncle Mike have playsets for his Star Wars toys that I don't have.

Child: How's come you know so much about them?

Mother: Your uncle and I have spent a lot of time together and he tells me everything. Oh and he's not really your uncle.

And so ends the premiere episode of "As the Playset turns."

In the next exciting episode of "As the Playset Turns" it is discovered that Uncle Mike posts online at Star Wars collecting sites using the screen-name "Tycho."

"No Little Mikey. I am your father."

Whoops! The husband's home. I gotta go!

JediTricks
09-18-2007, 06:29 AM
First off, we need to take a serious look at what Sideshow's done in environment designs, prices and sculpting and materials:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=6605#jpgs
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=6601R
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=6608
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=6603R
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=6606#jpgs

They look amazing, great sculpting and paint all around. The sizes are a little small, for the 4" figure line they'd have to be bigger. Pricing $13 to $40 is a little hard to gauge. But then you see what some of them are made of - polyfoam or resin - and it's a question of how fast can you get away from these things. FOAM??? When has anybody ever said anything positive about the durability of rigid foam? And durability on resin is just as frustrating, only it costs WAY more usually. Hopefully Sideshow can figure out how to keep costs realistic with this without dumping bad materials on us, but I am concerned.

Mister Roboto: SideShow has more than TRIPLED the cost of 12" figures!

Before tax, Hasbro's figures averaged $19.99 at Toys R Us or wherever. Even the exclusives with the Speederbikes were like $50.

Taxed, shipped, delivered, the average SideShow figure is $66 or more when all is said and done. I'm not complaining, as I don't collect them. I buy specific figures from their line that Hasbro never made (like ROTS Obi-Wan Kenobi - my favorite SideShow to date that I own 2 of)Let's be straight about this, Hasbro's 12" line was double-smoked butt-jerky. Paying $21.64 for a big-headed, poorly-articulated, tapered-bodied muscleman with 1 or 2 oversized accessories and ridiculously inaccurate sculpting, paint, and costume work was a recipe for shame. Hasbro tried to jack the price up to $25 in the last few years, so it's not triple, it's closer to double; and keep in mind as well that Hasbro released *less* 12" figures in most years than Sideshow's current average. The number of top notch entries in the line's 9 year run can be counted on a single hand. Even the beloved Speederbike set has crap articulation on the scout trooper and the bike is about 20% too small. So yeah, Sideshow's a little pricey, but the reality is that the alternative is unspeakable.

Tycho
09-18-2007, 06:49 AM
I liked some of the environment links you posted JT. I never knew SideShow made these. It's now something for me to consider.

Anyway, I liked the furnace best. That could be adapted into a porta-potty display for a Senator Larry Craig action figure, huh? That'd be cool.

Blue2th
09-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Well, I'm underwhelmed by those foam props. I had no idea SS made those. The furnace looks cool. Who's that for? Some Nazi creamatorium creepy monster dude?
The military ladder-trench enviro is cool for a GI Joe.
Maybe if they make them like that only smaller they'll be cheap enough for everybody. Though if not a true inter-active playset, a print-out of a photo background would be just as good.

Mister Roboto
09-18-2007, 10:47 AM
If they are charging that much for unlicensed partial 12" environments, I would guess they are going to charge $80-$120 for something like the cantina.

TheRealDubya
09-18-2007, 11:43 AM
If it looked as good as those examples, I'd gladly pay $100+ for a cantina or Jabba's Palace.

TheRealDubya
09-18-2007, 11:45 AM
The furnace looks cool. Who's that for? Some Nazi creamatorium creepy monster dude?

I think it's meant to be a Freddy Krueger accessory. I believe SSC has made some Horror movie themed figures in the past.

El Chuxter
09-18-2007, 12:27 PM
JT, Count Dooku and a few others were well worth $20.

Interestingly, they're the only ones I bought.

JediTricks
09-18-2007, 05:23 PM
12" Dooku gets away with a lot because he's less tapered and on their newer, non-muscle body with better articulation (though the kung fu grip hands are trash). He also has a simple outfit and needs just 1 accessory. Yeah, they got that right, but how many did they get wrong? And I suspect when Sideshow does 12" Dooku, it's going to put Hasbro's figure to shame - and be able to hold the saber on its belt.

Sinscia Fat'o
09-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Wow after reading this thread i really need to reevaluate my life!

If side show makes these things price depends on alot, while i wont buy everyone of them, i may buy a few if the price is fair, and they make enviroments that can be displayed on a computer table, or on a book shelf or something. Though as cool as a death star would be, i think hasbro needs to do it, and do it right, though i think they should wait and send the line off with this one last piece.

One thing that strikes me about Side show doing these now is that if you notice hasbro is slowly pimping out Star Wars to them, first it was sculptures, which im sure lucas film gave them rights to do, next it was the 12" figures, now we're getting playsets, when you start seeing side show making ships and such look out they'll be making 4" figures within the next 8-10 years.

Droid
09-20-2007, 06:30 PM
I think Hasbro is making a big mistake letting Sideshow do anything with the action figure line. What is a playset? What is an environment piece? Could we no longer get some of the accessories we have because it is Sideshow's? I think it is a mistake.

Tycho
09-20-2007, 08:06 PM
What is a playset? What is an environment piece? Could we no longer get some of the accessories we have because it is Sideshow's? I think it is a mistake.

Great points.

First, what do we want and who will be the intended customer?

1) action features for those who act out storylines with their figures want "playsets," as we had when we were kids. These include falling ice bridges, crushing garbage compactors, exploding cannons, and figure stands on levers that turn the characters to make them fight and others pop-up and fall down, to simulate being wounded in the combat. These are playset features.

There are afficianados of this sort of thing, stimulated by nostolgia amongst other things.

Will you as an adult still play with these sorts of features? Perhaps pretend your figures can talk when no one else is home to observe you?

Will a child embrace this play pattern or find it dull next to video gaming, etc.?

Do you want these features just for the nostolgic reason mentioned above? In other words, do you want it capable of action features even if you have no intention of regularly using them?

-------------------------------------------------------------

2) Environmental pieces for those who want dioramas?

If you open your toys, do you want to display them in recreations of the movie (or EU) scenes? [This does describe me, certainly]

Do you just want specialized pieces, like the Carbon Freezing Room, and prefer to customize the easier stuff - like trees or desert rock structures easily represented by aquarium or terraneum pieces found in many pet stores or model railroad hobby shops?

Are you still such a TOY enthusiast, that you require your dioramas to have the action features so that the "environment pieces" you purchase are in fact still TOYS?

Is Hasbro's inclusion of little props like the bar stools or cantina sections a tremendous value-added to you, such that even if SideShow offers you the whole bar in one purchase, you want the little pieces to account for more value for your $7 even if you are not going to use them? (Realize that much of Hasbro's price is determined to help them offset George Lucas' license fee and not often anything else.)

Blue2th
09-20-2007, 08:44 PM
I would want a little of both diorama enviros and some kind of play feature.
I think that in working together Hasbro and Sideshow won't step on each other's toes.
Alot has to do with timing. I mean it would be a perfect time for SS to release a Cantina environment. This would obviously be just the inside of the building. All the furniture except the booths maybe has already been sculpted.
I really don't know what kind of play feature there would be, except electronic music sounds for the Cantina band.

Jabba's palace on the other hand could have a few play features as well as pieces never made by Hasbro, like Jabba's Throne environment.
I personally would love a trap door and a Rancor pit. Other than that and maybe an electronic music feature, I don't know what else they could do.
So I don't think we are in danger of Sideshow making the pack-ins Hasbro does. If anything it would raise the bar on what pack-ins ("accessories") we get with our figures.

K M Toydarian
09-20-2007, 09:09 PM
With Star Wars so broad, I have to think there is a place for Sideshow to do diarama's in scale to Hasbro's 3-3/4" line.
I would think the goal is to gear them toward static diarama displays, not Action feature, kids toys. Hasbro I am sure will still make vehicles with playset like features, and little accessories with the figures, etc.
A couple years ago, Pride Displays appeared with their retro looking display stand/"playset". It was a nod to vintage Star Wars playsets, but very expensive and geared toward older collectors. They seem to have drifted into oblivion and now maybe Sideshow is taking those reins.
Here's the Pride Display...http://www.toy-palace.com/index.php?cat=c161_Pride-Displays.html&XTCsid=43caf6d5e75223e08cf4c9c9232b66df
I bought one of these for $35.00 on clearance but I am happy with it.

I think Sideshow can do some great environments with tremendous detail and realism and I will probably get them.
The first Sideshow stuff I ever bought was the Universal Monster series 8" action figures from them back in 1999. The accesories and bases are great and this quality would be super for the Star Wars universe.
As far as durability, I think something like this will indeed be more display than play, but Gentle Giant makes some amazing Bust Ups figures in an even smaller scale, and they are fairly durable. The Corpse Bride line is great! So I don't think the materials need to be expensive (resin, polystone etc.)
I think there is a market for this type of thing, and not being Hasbro, people shouldn't feel the need to get it to be a completist. It is something that will complement an existing product.

Tycho
09-21-2007, 02:00 AM
Blue2th: Jabba's Palace could feature the alcove where Carbon Frozen Han Solo hangs and a switch-a-roo action that reverses the carbonite sculpt with the unfrozen shell and the loose figure on a stand.

It's not much, but it'd be fun and another "hero" interaction (this one for Han) - just like Luke goes with the trap door.

It would all depend on whether this could be achieved without compomising the authentic look of the display. I think authenticity is more what the average SideShow customer is clammoring for.

stillakid
09-21-2007, 01:35 PM
They should make inflatable playsets and vehicles so that they can be stored into smaller spaces. :)

Blue2th
09-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Blue2th: Jabba's Palace could feature the alcove where Carbon Frozen Han Solo hangs and a switch-a-roo action that reverses the carbonite sculpt with the unfrozen shell and the loose figure on a stand.

Or at least that room with a little light to put behind the already existing recent Saga II Han in Carbonite to make it glow. I would do that myself if they (Sideshow) didn't.

Tycho
09-21-2007, 03:28 PM
They should make inflatable playsets and vehicles so that they can be stored into smaller spaces. :)

That would work well for Kamino. Your playset could float in the pool or the bathtub!

It could come with Jango & Jango "No more tears" bubble formula.

Darth Cruel
11-23-2007, 08:46 PM
There is absolutely no reason that Sideshow shouldn't make these playsets if Hasblo refuses. If Hasbro feels that they can't make any money making 50,000 of a playset...I say let Sideshow make some money making 2500 of the hign-end ones. I'll but 2 of each. And at least SOME of us will get playsets. Those who don't won't be out anything because (in my scenario) Hasbro wouldn't be making them anyway. So BRING THEN ON SIDESHOW!