PDA

View Full Version : Could you walk away from this line tomorrow?

JediTricks
09-18-2007, 06:04 AM
This isn't one of those "the line is ending in 3 weeks" questions, but whether you feel like you could realistically see yourself just stop collecting altogether right now. I see a lot of collectors complain that the line is going on too long and they can't wait for it to end so they can cool out - it always makes me wonder, "then why are they sticking around?" Are you trying to have it all, and if so, would that keep you from leaving until Hasbro kicked you out?

The past few months of nothingness from Hasbro has pushed me to the brink, not quite as bad as Saga '03 where new figures didn't get findable from January until July, but darn close especially with so few figures I feel are necessary actually coming down the pike. This hobby doesn't feel as rewarding when it gets as frustrating as Hasbro's made it with supply issues AND Saga Legends junk clogging the pegs at the same time.

So I ask myself, could I walk away from it all? I'm not sure I could, I'm waiting to get the next round of vehicles, and I'd love to have the complete McQuarrie collection since it's something I've always looked forward to - though that seems almost hopeless now with McQuarrie Vader and Starkiller Hero being so difficult at this point to even hear rumors about. I suspect though that come the Grievous Starfighter, I could walk away and not look back, and that's a bad thing.

Jargo
09-18-2007, 06:49 AM
Part of me would love to keep collecting stuff. Imperials and rebels and senators. but for varying reasons i've had to scale down to just the cantina and Jabba's palace. effectively that means I'm buying so little now it's almost the same as having walked away. It's kind of like waiting a year til everything is out and then picking up only the cream of the crop.
I guess that's why I've also stopped badgering for new product. besides those two settings I collect for there's nothing i want. besides, I've graduated to larger figures where the cost is the same but you get twice as much figure for your money.

when it comes down to brass tacks, the cost is the prohibitive factor with star wars. for me at least. I also think the legends line is a dead horse. Should go back to the single fan's choice figure. do two a year. leave it at that. if they see a need to bundle an older figure into case assortments due to reports of scarcity then fine. just not half the entire line being dumped back in again. less product per annum, better quality.

if they weren't wasting money throwing all the junk back onto the shelves and instead concentrated on producing a range of figures at the level of the vintage stuff, fewer figures, better quality. if the line was going to end I'd rather it be on a quiet high note than a very loud low one with a ton of garbage cluttering the shelves for aeons to come.

DarkArtist
09-18-2007, 07:17 AM
the more and more time that goes on and the more things change with me current status, I have started to pull back from collecting alot already. While I would hate to stop altogether, I might be looking to phase myself out slowly and perhaps all together soon. I've stopped buying repacks of figures that I already have to get something small, like a holo yoda, or obi wan's cloak, or a coin. I mean I really wish that Hasbro would simply listen to us and put some of these things in battlepacks or accessory packs.

Old Fossil
09-18-2007, 08:09 AM
I have already quit cold turkey regarding vehicles. The TRU exclusive Y-Wing was the last one I bought or will buy; there is simply nothing else I want vehicle-wise, even the Greivous Starfighter. I passed on all the vehicles I saw at retail this summer, including the vaunted V-Wing.

Figures are more difficult to pass on than vehicles. New, superior sculpts of older characters, like the upcoming 4-LOM, are almost irresistable to me; but those are few and far between these days. Sometimes I buy a figure out of sheer boredom -- I bought a TAC Jawa last week for that very reason, before I found Wave 5 leftovers on the pegs later in the week. But I no longer collect MOC figures, save the McQuarries, and I no longer army-build.

I guess as long as there are quality figures available, I'll buy 'em, just in progressively smaller quantities. I'm running out of both shelf space and cash.

jedi master sal
09-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Hmm, I take it a couple of my recent posts are part of what spurred this topic on.

I know I've made my point pretty clear that I plan on a dramatic draw down in the budget for SW stuff.

A quick reiteration:
2007-once the year is over, I'll tabulate how much I spent.
2008-based on the 2007 dollars spent on SW, I will HALVE this to creat my budget for 2008
2009-Halving again the budget so that 2009's budget is 25% of what 2007 was
2010 and on-cutting the budget down to no more than 10% of what 2007's budget was.

I fully expect that the line will die off if not by then, not much after. Now to interpret what I mean by dying. Not neccessarily an outright pull of all SW toys from the shelves though that's entirely possible, but certain at the least a point in which there is so very little TRULY new stuff made that collectors lose interest in the line as a whole and as we know, kids attentions won't last that long but for rare exceptions. Those possible realities will lead to a dramatic decline in sales and will lead to the eventual pulling of the line. I do not at all expect the line to last until 2018, the year in which Hasbro's contract with LFL is up.

My budget scheme should work for me as I don't expect to spend anywhere near as much as 2007. The movies are over, most of the figures are done from them. Certainly no army builders with two exceptions that we know are coming out then (SA 501st and corrected Kashyyyk trooper). The Force Unleashed will see me only getting one of each main figure and no more than one squad's worth of each type trooper (to me a squad is 5 figs).

The Cartoon show will follow these same rules for the most part, again not seeing how I could be sucked into building up huge armies. If the troopers seen in the cartoon are the same from the movies then I won't need any more as I have enough now (or will by the time the show airs) and if the troopers are a new paint scheme then I'll hold to the squad size as stated above.

The live action TV show will be much like the examples above and probably even less so depending on what direction the show takes and the amoung of troops it has in it and if they are the same as movie troops. And for the first time I'm seriously considering not even collecting the toy line for the live action show. They are going to have to WOW me. Not just in costume design, but character development. If I'm not endeared to those characters, I'm not going to want to buy their figures. That was a problem for many collectors regarding the prequels. My opinions are just now catching up to theirs in that respect.

The only other thing I collect a lot of besides Hasbro SW toys are GG mini busts. If the mini bust line dies to be replaced by the new sized line, I can easily say I'll quit collecting GG stuff. I see no need to REcollect the same characters all over again and I won't feel a loss for those characters that didn't yet make it to the mini bust line before that line would be pulled. I'd just count myself lucky to have got what I got and be happy with it.

-Sal

Blue2th
09-18-2007, 09:52 AM
My interest in SW toys ebbs and flows. When I see the pegs just crammed full of Legends, I get bummed out and later mad. Like a hunter who goes out looking for food and comes up dry for weeks on end, it will really take the wind out of you're sails.
When I find the complete Wave 5 all in one store (I pity the poor saps behind me) my faith is almost restored because of how excellent this wave is.

I haven't bought any vehicles since the Infiltrator. I'm not getting suckered into the latest TRU repaints.

I'm hoping Clone Wars gives us a resurgence of cool figures and vehicles.

I still debate whether I want to quit this hobby, but have decided to at least thin it out of repeats and stored older figures in the garage first. Then decide.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

stillakid
09-18-2007, 11:14 AM
I had been on the road for work for quite some time in the last year so I started just ordering cases from Entertainment Earth. I also had a lot of help keeping up with Crunchy Nugget. But the store search thing wasn't available to me then and now that I'm back, I'm finding that things haven't changed much. I do about 98% of my Star Wars figure/vehicle shopping entirely online now, mostly through EE and HasbroToyShop. It's like ordering a pizza. I see it, I order it, and the mailman drops it off.

But to the question, how long? As long as they keep doing it I guess. The kids are having fun filling in the coin book, so I like finding the new ones. :)

Dark Marble
09-18-2007, 11:41 AM
I think I could walk away and be pretty happy. Over my 10 years of hard core collecting my attitudes are changing. I am getting rid of my "armies" and focusing more on one of each figure. And my "fleets" of vehicles are going to one of each. With companies like Neca putting out great stuff, my eyes are wandering a little bit. I am still having a good time with Star Wars but in the end how many Darth Vader's does a boy need?

Sinscia Fat'o
09-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Yes, yes i could. Why do i say that so easily, because i already walked away from star wars collecting once in my life already. When i had bills mounting, and a lot of personal problems mounting up bigger than the bills, star wars was an unfortunate cassualty in my life. It wasn't hasbro's faught, i didnt leave because i couldn't find anything, i just left without reason, reguards or remourse. Though when ROTS came out i had my life back on track, and i was ready to enjoy something so simple and so rewarding from my childhood again, being star wars. And i didn't have the money to get everything i wanted from ROTS, but i did manage to get alot of it, though Saga 2 was a hard sell because i couldn't find alot of it, though online shopping helped out with that as well.

Though with my past being that in the past, i hope SW collecting sticks around in one capacity or the other, though i dont see this line just fading away in the darkness like it did after POTF1 in the 80's, but i do see some warning signs from the community as a whole that could mean it's invitable demise sometime in the near future, and whats sad it's the distrubution of the line and not the quality of the line thats hurting it.

Rocketboy
09-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Sh*t, I walked away from collecting in '98 and never looked back.
:thumbsup:

dindae
09-18-2007, 12:11 PM
I can easily say that if the line ended tomorrow I would be content with what I have. However as much as I get down on the line from time to time I don't see me quitting. I may finally decide to pass on endless variations of characters that don't mean anything to me. I did decide to cut back on some of the army builders I was planning on stocking up on this year. The battle droids are now a 1 per variation as opposed to 5 and I don't I will pick up as many of the 501st. I have to agree with Sal about the future of the line. I will get figure from the shows however since I know myself and even if it is cheesy garbage I watch it. As far as the current distribution problem I don't see the big issue. I know eventually I will find the last two waves once some of the Legends clear out a bit. I do think that the Fan Choice waves will tank on the shelves though. A lot of the figure that were rare like R2-B1 weren't rare because they were awesome figures just that they were short distribution runs. I don't see kids and casual collects getting excited about these figures so it is just going to hurt distribution.

El Chuxter
09-18-2007, 12:45 PM
With every passing week of nothing but repacked Clonetroopers and inferior resculpts of figures I got ten years ago, it seems it would be easier and easier.

I said elsewhere that the Wave 4/5 haul I had about a week ago is probably the last bunch of figures I would get excited about (being mostly Cantina, Jabba's Palace, and Clone Wars). Maybe a few isolated guys here and there, but I doubt any more whole waves.

Two years ago, I would've bought Yam-Faced Grievous or Han Pilot or Luke Ceremonial or Jabba's Palace Luke or Darth Cobra Commander or Darth Mindbender or "What If" Princess Leia, but I have no interest in garbage, and it's not like it was way back, when garbage characters were the exception rather than the rule.

And I'm done with vehicles and Sideshow. I have nowhere to put either anymore.

Mister Roboto
09-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Hasbro's focus seems to be shifting from the films to EU and the new TV show. They had a good run but they are making it easy to walk away.

Ji'dai
09-18-2007, 02:31 PM
I walked away from comic book collecting years ago so I could do the same with Star Wars.

The same things that drove me away from comics are problematic with the SW lines: higher prices yet varying quality, tons of repackaged product (multiple covers?), and loss of local retail outlets (many products exclusively available at certain venues or online sources at a much higher cost).

Droid
09-18-2007, 03:01 PM
I could not quit, but have scaled way back. I only buy more than one of a figure if more than one of the character appeared in the same frame of the movie. I never buy more than three of any different kind of trooper. I pass on a lot of figures, mostly resculpts and expanded universe. I won't buy any more vehicles (including the Sail Barge which pains me) or playsets (though I would buy a good cantina or Jabba's throne room).

I would ALWAYS buy figures from Jabba's Palace and the cantina.

I would like about five more cantina figures (Tonnikas!), five more Jabba's Palace figures (Yarna!), Cliegg Lars, Young Owen and Beru, the Queen of Alderaan, Captain Needa, and the rest of the Kenner figures updated and I would be quite content with what I have if the line ended.

Mister Roboto
09-18-2007, 04:24 PM
After thinking about it, I get the feeling that my attitude with Hasbro right now is the same as when you are nearing the end of a relationship with a girlfriend. I have to sit through a whole bunch of crap because they still have a few things I want, so I can't kick them to the curb just yet.

pbarnard
09-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Being that it is a voluntary activity I can partake when I have sufficient funds, the answer to the question is yes. For years I've had my 3-4 figures I want, usually in one wave that I get and a few surprises, some custom fodder, and generally less than 2 dozen figures a year bought.

JediTricks
09-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Hmm, I take it a couple of my recent posts are part of what spurred this topic on.Ego much? :p No, they weren't part of it. I explained pretty clearly why I started this thread, I asked myself the thread's question last night and wondered what others would say if asked of them. A little more background, I looked over and saw the Elis Helrot behind the half-bar I had made with his curve and a straight section, and thought about how long it took me to find a wave 4 figure in a sea of pegwarming TAC and Saga Legends, and what a let down the Elis Helrot purchase really was for me. That's part of why I haven't bothered buying cases online either, there are so many TAC figures I just don't give a crap about at this point that it'd be a massive waste of cash and I'd get stuck with a ton of extras (that's what always happens with my case buys, folks will say they want a piece then change their mind).

A few weeks ago, there was a thread asking about the top 10 TAC figures, my list was a struggle to even get 10 entries on it. I look at the future of this line and there's very little to get interested in beyond McQuarries, especially when stuff like Luke Jedi gets screwed up so royally.

My interest list:
CZ-4
McQ Vader x2
3PO
Darth Trapjaw
McQ Starkiller Hero x2
Han Torture
Gen McQuarrie
4-LOM
McQ Snowtrooper x2
McQ Han x2
McQ Rebel x2

There's some figures I'm kinda interested in not on the list, but it's few and far between at this point. Looking at that, and that's a selection from like 40 figures, it's almost not enough to keep me going now.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-18-2007, 06:02 PM
There always seems to be just enough stuff on the horizon to keep me interested, so no, I don't think I could walk away tomorrow. If the line switches to solely EU stuff and no movie product then I might quit but even with the heavy EU stuff now I don't mind.

plasticfetish
09-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Tomorrow? I could have walked away yesterday, but seeing as how I've always only had a casual -- my life doesn't depend on it -- approach to finding figures, I'm not too worried about tomorrow.

I've walked away from toy lines before. I was very much into Transformers for a while, but at a point I simply lost interest in where the line was going. Sure, just like it could happen with Star Wars, the Transformers line had nothing fun behind it (no decent cartoon) to help keep me interested. The toys weren't as fun either. So many to choose from and so much repetition... one repaint after another, blah, blah, blah...

Hasbro seems to have a way of milking this stuff a little too hard sometimes, leaving the cow worn out, but some collectors seem to drink a little too much of that milk as well. When they suddenly find themselves penniless or sick of collecting, they become all shocked and surprised.

No different than anything else, if the toys aren't fun or unique, then I'll stop buying them. For now I'm lucky enough to have decent supply sources, and even with next to no effort, I've been able to find the figures that I want. And that's just it... I'll collect as long as I genuinely want to, and not because I feel I must.

CaptainSolo1138
09-18-2007, 08:32 PM
They still make new Star Wars figs? Well, I'll be...

Kidhuman
09-18-2007, 09:18 PM
I like many others have cut way back. I stopped buying every little rehash, remake, reissue of a figure. I was never really an army builder, just a casual one. I have enough clones and such, but i think i can never have too many stormtroopers, so I continue to get them here and there.

I have bought a few of the comic two packs as well, also Titaniums and GH line have my interest. The Titanium line with repaint heaven has been irking me lately and the fact of the pegs still being covered in TF and Marvel ones, leaving no room for the SW ones has me shaking my head.

I dont think i could walk away from the line, but have given up hope at retail pretty much. I have the next 5 waves on order and even ordered from Brians Toys because I dont want whole cases, just the new figures, whch they seem to have. It saves me time and money so I dont mind paying a little more for them.

Rogue II
09-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Its funny this thread started the day after I decided to quit collecting SW after the end of this year. Any of you guys that have paid attention to my posts over the past few years know that I only collect OT figures. So, I've been through some really slow collecting periods during movie years. I've finally had enough. I've been a little disappointed with just about every figure I've purchased this year, including the 3 VTAC. Yet for some reason, I plan on picking up 10 or 11 figures from Waves 4, 6, and 7 (if they ever show up in stores) and I'm done.

So, to answer the question, yes, I could quit tomorrow. It just not fun anymore. I'm not sure they could keep me from leaving. I've been thinking about this for a long time. If they wanted to keep me, they would have to start with more consistent quality and better distribution.

I think I'm going to start collecting McFarlane's NHL Legends instead. Non-completest, of course. They only release a wave or two per year and even at $10 each, it would be cheaper to collect in a given year.

stillakid
09-18-2007, 09:19 PM
When they suddenly find themselves penniless or sick of collecting, they become all shocked and surprised.

HEY, just cuz I live on the streets now after my family left me and moved lord knows where, doesn't mean that I'm some kinda addict or nothin. It's jist a hobby. Ya hear me?! A HOBBY!!! I GOTTA HAVE ALL UV UM!!!! ALLL OF UV!!! I'm not a freak... I'm not a freak.... I'm not..... :cry:

figrin bran
09-18-2007, 11:03 PM
No, I could not walk away tomorrow. I started army building and customizing back in 05 and that has definitely helped to sustain my interest in the line. :)

Thunderbird
09-18-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm never going to quit, I'm in this for the long haul. I'm the kinda of collector you most likley don't like, I'll buy every variation I find, most every repack I can find, and every line they can come up with. I may not get everything Legos, Master Replicas, etc. but I do get alot of it. Hasbro is IMO has done a great job and I love the way things are going.

I've found most everything at retail, and I know at the end of the year I have all 60 figures loose and carded, plus vehicles and exculusives. It happens every year and over the years I've only missed maybe 5 or 6 variations, (things like SOTE Vader on a single card, open hand Tusken on red card, things like that.) To date I'm only missing CZ-4, but I know I'll get it sooner or later. Plus I'll help my friends get there stuff they are looking for.

Personaly for me I don't care what Hasbro repacks, I'll buy it. I'm hoping for a repacks in 2015 of the buff figures from '95 for the 20th years of the POTF.

figrin bran
09-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Thunderbird, I like that sort of collector actually! I just don't have the dedication nor the funds to be as completist as you seem to be.

There are some TAC and Saga figures that I passed on but because I army build, I've bought just as many if not more as a 1 set carded/1 set loose collector might buy.

Kidhuman
09-18-2007, 11:28 PM
I wish Thunderbird would move where I live so he can clear the pegs

Thunderbird
09-18-2007, 11:33 PM
I wish Thunderbird would move where I live so he can clear the pegs

lollol Only problem is on the repacks, unless there's a variant I only buy one, and in my area there are plenty left for everybody else. I've been lucky and have pick up most waves when they first hit:pleased:

Thunderbird
09-18-2007, 11:40 PM
Thunderbird, I like that sort of collector actually! I just don't have the dedication nor the funds to be as completist as you seem to be.

There are some TAC and Saga figures that I passed on but because I army build, I've bought just as many if not more as a 1 set carded/1 set loose collector might buy.

It does take dedication, not as much as it use to. I've never been an army builder, with as much stuff as I have one thing I'm lacking is room.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-18-2007, 11:52 PM
As long as they are making new stuff, I'll keep buying the figures. For me, it's like having my own Action Figure Archive. That's also why I usually buy resculpts as well. Perhaps someday I'll display all my Vaders together, or Tatooine Lukes together. I'll be able to see the evolution (and in some cases de-evolution) of the sculpts.

Rik Duel
09-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Man, I can't quit until they make a really really great Luke Skywalker! Seriously I don't think there's been a perfect Luke yet, in any of his main three costumes. Maybe I'm nuts.

TheCivilCollector
09-19-2007, 01:16 AM
I'm really on the fence about this one-

First, I LOVE the new figures they've been coming out with lately, as I'm a concept artist AND I love EU stuff, so the McQuarrie figs are a dream come true. Problem is, I can't find hardly ANY of them. I got McChewie through the net, and the C3PO/R2 and Obi/Yoda at the conventions, but that's IT. Haven't been able to find a Stormie or McFett anywhere. And the guy that picked up 3PO/R2 at celebration (couldn't go, I was out of town) didn't get Luke for me because he "thought it looked lame and I wouldn't want it. :::sniff:::"

The comic packs are awesome (I think at least), and I love the EU Videogame figs that are coming out.

Second, the effort of finding anything is driving me away from this hobby HARD. Even finding Transformers (my other collecting vice) is damned near impossible. I'm hoping it gets better as we get closer to the holidays, but I'm so tired of getting up early and finding nothing that I'm increasingly OK with finding the "surprise" figure occasionally.

figrin bran
09-19-2007, 01:26 AM
Second, the effort of finding anything is driving me away from this hobby HARD. Even finding Transformers (my other collecting vice) is damned near impossible. I'm hoping it gets better as we get closer to the holidays, but I'm so tired of getting up early and finding nothing that I'm increasingly OK with finding the "surprise" figure occasionally.

Let me guess - Concept Camaro Bumblebee is eluding you? :p I have one but it's just ridiculous how stores don't have any Deluxes or Voyagers lately.

plasticfetish
09-19-2007, 01:41 AM
Second, the effort of finding anything is driving me away from this hobby HARD.Yeah, I rarely hunt at places like Target, Wal-Mart, etc. anymore. Just aren't any close to where I live now... and when I do wander over to one, there's nothing I want.

I have a good small store that I visit though, and they (http://stores.ebay.com/Toy-Bliss) seem to put new figures out waaaay ahead of the big retail stores. They charge a bit over the SRP ($7.99 for basic figures), but I can stop in on the way home from work, and pick up something new just about every time I visit.

As far as I'm concerned, the small local shops need to make a comeback, and they need to do it quickly. This place understands all aspects of the market -- parents, kids, collectors -- and treats them all with respect. I'll use the "f" word again, but it's actually fun to shop there.

TheCivilCollector
09-19-2007, 01:48 AM
the small local shops need to make a comeback, and they need to do it quickly. This place understands all aspects of the market -- parents, kids, collectors -- and treats them all with respect.

That's KEY, and it sounds like you have it pretty good there. Unfortunately the small shops in my area are selling stuff for at LEAST double the price (usually around $15.00 for basic figures). Chase figures like McFett tend to go for around $30-40. I bought Scortch at the local scalper for $30 after getting sick of not finding him, just WEEKS before EE announced the Republic Commando set.

Not making that mistake again.

Blue2th
09-19-2007, 02:19 AM
I like the hunt itself. There's nothing like the rush of finding SW figures in the wild, though it can get discouraging sometimes. It's a good thing that I collect other things besides the mainly Star Wars.

I am a big fan of the cartoon Clone Wars, so I see hope on the horizon.

So to answer: No I don't think I can just walk away from it, not by tomorrow. I would have to be weaned off it with intervention like some kinda Star Wars action figure junkie.

plasticfetish
09-19-2007, 02:42 AM
Unfortunately the small shops in my area are selling stuff for at LEAST double the price (usually around $15.00 for basic figures). Chase figures like McFett tend to go for around $30-40.That's kind of a double edged sword for places like that really. On the one hand, I can almost understand the desire to make a buck when they can... seeing as how they do have to compete with places like Target, etc. But at the same time, if they push things too far they'll scare away regular customers.

As an example, this place I go to also sells online and marks things up a bit, but just the same, they'll clear things out at their shop from time to time with a sale. It all balances out. I picked up a nice carded (and case protected) McFett for $14 there a while ago... and when I teased them about the price, the gal behind the counter apologized. But again... it's not like I don't understand, and fat chance I'd ever see a decent one in the big stores. I was able to pick up another with a dinged card a week later at regular price, so I had one to open.

If smaller stores could all walk that line, and try not to completely ream the collectors, then they could easily compete with the big stores. I'll pay a buck more for good service and a decent selection any day.

I like the hunt itself. There's nothing like the rush of finding SW figures in the wild, though it can get discouraging sometimes.The hunt is fun, but honestly, with gas at $3 a gallon I'm less and less excited about driving around. Even more tired of finding nothing that I want or need in those stores.

JediTricks
09-19-2007, 02:49 AM
Second, the effort of finding anything is driving me away from this hobby HARD. Even finding Transformers (my other collecting vice) is damned near impossible. I'm hoping it gets better as we get closer to the holidays, but I'm so tired of getting up early and finding nothing that I'm increasingly OK with finding the "surprise" figure occasionally.Haw! TF is my other vice as well and I'm in the same boat, that was the other little thing on my shoulder asking me when I started this thread what the point is in collecting when Hasbro keeps kicking this ol' dog over and over with not 1 but 2 lines.

As far as I'm concerned, the small local shops need to make a comeback, and they need to do it quickly. This place understands all aspects of the market -- parents, kids, collectors -- and treats them all with respect. I'll use the "f" word again, but it's actually fun to shop there.Hasbro's shipment issues has been known to put small stores out of business in the past, I know a guy who had a store and tried to order the new stuff, Hasbro held back and held back and held back, then shipped him a bunch of very old product instead. They'd keep pulling this stuff while requiring a couple thou' in monthly minimum orders and eventually he had to close his joint. I can't imagine what it must be like now dealing with Saga Legends crammed down the small retailers' throats. So what are their only other options? They can have their scalper buddies buy stuff off the shelves, or they can order through Diamond distributing who gets stuff a little slower than big retail but fairly consistently - and either way our small retailers are going to have to charge their customers a hefty up-pricing.

plasticfetish
09-19-2007, 03:07 AM
I dunno... I've been pulling the latest waves from this shop easily a month before they come out at the big stores, for $7.99 per figure. I had McVader weeks ago.

Where there's a will, there's a way. I've no idea how well this local shop I hit (or any of the others) is really doing, but it always strikes me that the ones who fail, didn't know what they were getting into, and didn't have the kind of dedication or focus it takes to run a business.

It's not all fun and toys... you actually have to work a little.

Sean the Hutt
09-19-2007, 05:08 AM
I bought way WAY to much from 95-2003/ I was a completest...I was so happy star wars was back...back in 95 we had know idea it was going to be such a long drawb out affair. I thought we would see a few figures as a nostalgia thing...not knowing about the re-release or prequels. Then the falcon came out and I thought "wow here we go!" action fleet 12 inch. all of it
now I only collect what I want mostly ships, original trilogy, stuff.
I'm like a lot of you its been a long run, Just make me my bleeping death star and be done with it!
I could quit if they would just make a few more vital pieces first

Tycho
09-19-2007, 05:25 AM
I'm just filling in my dioramas. I always have been. That did mean large armies sometimes, but I don't see that now unless the Expanded Universe Yuuzhan Vong is readily available on a single card.

There's probably some 50 or so more figures that I'd buy (none being resculpts of anything I already have in some form or another).

Even after it ends, I'm still in for the long haul and I'll be working on my dioramas (and a large house to display them in).

I have a lot of "big boy toys" like watercraft and the likes. Almost all my life, Star Wars has been important to me. I'm going to enjoy my collection long after I barely ever add to it any further. Do I have other things to do? Of course. However, I can do them all - so why give up Star Wars? I'm just not buying what I don't need. And I never was "a collector." So forget coins, variations, carded stuff - whatever.

In the end, I'll make some really cool displays with what I've acquired and I'll have done plenty of other things that are unrelated. No opportunities missed. No sacrafices made.

AmanaMatt
09-19-2007, 10:37 AM
I have collected this new stuff since 1995 and while I have cut back from what I used to (funny how a mortage does that to you!), I still make a 'healthy' amount of purchases.

I am anticipating that Hasbro will make more and more EU next year, all of which I will pass on, except for the occasional fig here and there. My heart is into the original stuff...

If I had to walk away, I would not want to - I would probably become a loose collector only and buy just those pieces I want.

I have done this for 12 years now, and never wondered 'when will this line end!'

If you get tired of collecting, you should move on. I credit my positive attitude on just collecting what I like and ignoring the rest. I see many people who feel obligated to buy it all, and I do not understand that.

Lazer Brain
09-19-2007, 03:04 PM
unfortunatly I have seen many of my friends walk away. and more are talking about, or at least narrowin git down to one type of figure. like only stormtroopers or carded figures.
i think i could ,but don't want too ...yet.
later

TheDarthVader
09-19-2007, 06:25 PM
I have cut back on my Hasbro purchases. I have increased my hasbro ship buying and decreased my hasbro figure buying. I have purchased the SS jabba, the GG jabba, the GG slave leia, the ss ANH leia, and the CW Ilum Padme. So a lot of my figure dollars has gone toward SS and GG.

General_Grievous
09-19-2007, 07:42 PM
The only way I would walk away from the line is if they said they would stop making figures of new characters (from the movies, of course).

Sinscia Fat'o
09-19-2007, 08:04 PM
If hasbro said they would never make any Tales of the Jedi characters like Exar, Ulic, Nomi, and the such i would have to say i would walk away, but with Mandalore peeking his head in the Evolutions pack in 08, im interested and hope to see more of my favorite characters made into plastic. It's sad that i had to only wait a few years for Kir Kanos, and Carnor Jax, but i've had to wait well over ten years for Kun...Not fair.

Though i've found that collecting what you like, and what you want beats being a complete collector. I used to be one of those people who had to have it all and when i say all i mean all, though episode one kinda sucked that out of me, as it did alot of people. Right now i restrict myself to resculpts that make sense, like of figures who need a update because the POTF2 versions sucked, EU characters because thats where my intrest is now in star wars, with only a handful of characters left to make that i actually want, i could really care less about movie figures, but i do know they need to be made, (So please dont flame me on that one :) ) and characters who have never been made before (Cantaina patrons, Jabba's palace, Pilots, ETC, and a few casual army builders (My armies are no more than 4-8 figures depending on how much i like that trooper. I dont have much intrest in starships, or Titanium, or Transformers (Abominations!!!) I do like the side show stuff, but dont have alot of room for it, but i could muster something im sure if they made my favorite characters....Exar....Aayla...ETC.

bigbarada
09-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Yes, I could walk away tomorrow. Of course, there are still figures that I really want, but those numbers are getting smaller and smaller. I'm mainly just interested in areas of ROTJ that I consider to have been "neglected" by the modern line: Skiff Guards, Rebel Pilots and Ewoks.

However, I've actually reached a point where I am pretty satisfied with what I have now and don't really feel a large amount of anticipation for new stuff.

I'm just bored of it and if I walk away from collecting now, it will be because I filled whatever "void" Star Wars collecting existed to fill and am ready to move on to something else.

stillakid
09-19-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm collecting until I can't shove anymore stuff in the storage room.

Old Fossil
09-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Ah! I was forgetting... the new line of Indiana Jones figures might make quitting SW figure buying much, much easier for me.:thumbsup:

Devo
09-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Well for one thing I'd have to quit visiting these and other toy boards. I remember a time before I had internet access and I didn't have any clue about impending figure and vehicle releases. I remember my utter surprise when I saw the first wave of POTF2 figures and the X-wing and Millenium Falcon on the shelves of my then local toystore. I was a toy enthusiast and it killed me that all I had Star Wars-wise was the empty shell of my older brothers' Falcon (anything detacheable was lost), a battered AT-ST (likewise), a weequay with his hand chewed off and a single yellow stormtrooper. After all the years of He-man, Thundercats, Teenage mutant turtles and Action Force (GI-JOE) finally I could have Star Wars toys. And there was that thrill of going into a toy shop completely blind. Now with the internet I know what figures are due out and roughly when I can expect them but back then it was all surprise.

But the internet will also make it harder for me to quit if ever I'm forced to make that decision. I'd be able to see what new characters have been made and it'd kill me not to have them. I've built up my cantina this much how could I be happy to stop abruptly - and other similar thought process scenarios.

DarkJedi5
09-20-2007, 10:48 AM
I think it would be pretty tough to walk walk away cold. I'm already done with repacks and repaints unless it significantly different or I missed it the first time around. I only buy vehicles that I feel are iconic or important (just bought my first Y-wing at TRU) and think I will pass on almost anything Hasbro offers in the Clone Wars line unless it's really cool or something that was previously introduced in another media. I'm already waffling on the comic packs, some are pretty cool but I can't figure out why I bought a few of them and don't think I'll make the same mistake next time. However, as long as Hasbro is making quality figures of canon characters, even pretty obscure ones, I will probably remain a collector.

JediTricks
09-20-2007, 08:35 PM
Being a completist was the worst for me once we got to Ep 1 and I wasn't feeling it as much, but I stuck with it and POTJ worked out alright. However, the first waves of Saga absolutely killed my completism, stuff like the Tusken Woman & Child didn't appeal to me at all, and action gimmicks were a real mess. After dropping completism, it became more fun again - that was the way to do it for me. But now it does feel like we're scraping the bottom of the barrel (Yam Nose, really?) AND simultaneously can't find half this stuff anyway, I guess that's the recipe that has pushed me closer to being able to walk away.

Tycho
09-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Who is Yam Nose? You have me stumped on that one.

jjreason
09-20-2007, 08:46 PM
I was a lot closer in early 2000 than I am now. Funny, I was just talking this over with my wife, how certain odd things happened that year that kept me going right when I figured I was done (the only store in town got a massive shipment of EpI figures I hadn't seen at retail and was selling them for 50% off, I discovered ebay, etc).

No, now I'm in for the long haul.... but I have managed to conquer my completist demons.

jedibear
09-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Interesting topic...

I've had thoughts over the course of this last year of hangin' it up wih Hasbro...
I thought this 30th Anniversary year would be a good one to go out on...lots of background characters to fill in some holes in displays, good re-do's of some characters that needed it, and finally...a bit of a sentimental reason...

The vintage line ended back in the '80s with the coins as a pack-in, so I thought..."Hey, that'll make a nice bookend to the collection".

Cut to right now and...well, I still want to hang it up at the end of the year...but with the way this 30th Anniversary line has been coming out in such fits-n'starts, I may be ending it unfinished. That would be sad, considering that some fun figures are due in later waves, but...hey...it's gotta stop sometime, right?

JediTricks
09-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Who is Yam Nose? You have me stumped on that one.Production name for M'iiyoom Onith.

timmae
09-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Being a completist was the worst for me once we got to Ep 1 and I wasn't feeling it as much, but I stuck with it and POTJ worked out alright. However, the first waves of Saga absolutely killed my completism, stuff like the Tusken Woman & Child didn't appeal to me at all, and action gimmicks were a real mess. After dropping completism, it became more fun again - that was the way to do it for me. But now it does feel like we're scraping the bottom of the barrel (Yam Nose, really?) AND simultaneously can't find half this stuff anyway, I guess that's the recipe that has pushed me closer to being able to walk away.

ditto on the completism statement. if they remake these exclusives that they scammed us out of 12-15 bucks on (as fans choices), and the ones we had to buy 20-25 multipacks for, i may just walk away (after i buy the ones missed of course). the new obscure, like hermie odle, etc are whats keeping it going for me. how can they get away with charging 16.99 plus shipping for that concept grievous? what $10 extra for the exclusive star case and sticker that probrobly cost them 16 cents to produce. whats the gimmick going to be in 2008 and on? we asked for more big unleashed, they gave it to us for 25 bucks plus shipping. thanks for gouging us hasbro.:hurt::frus:

TheCivilCollector
09-20-2007, 11:26 PM
JT-

I'm with you EXACTLY. I was a completist until the SAGA line in '02-3 or so, then the supply of figures and the beginning of hard-to-find exclusives got so spotty that I resorted to getting only individual CHARACTERS I didn't have. Even that was hard to do, as I'm missing alot of the more obscure secondary characters.

Where Hasbro REALLY lost me were the clone variations, which became ridiculous.

Either way, student loan payments are looming (I graduated in August), so it's going to be MUCH more limited collecting for a long time.

2-1B
09-21-2007, 12:26 AM
whats the gimmick going to be in 2008 and on?

25th anniversary of Episode 6

Tycho
09-21-2007, 01:36 AM

Dude! That could mean finally getting the Ewoks I always wanted!

Keolkeech! Come to Pappa!

bigbarada
09-21-2007, 01:49 AM

Hasbro didn't do anything for the 20th anniversary of ROTJ in 2003, the 20th anniversary of ESB in 2000, or the 25th anniversary of ESB in 2005. I highly doubt we'll see any big deal made of ROTJ turning 25. The only anniversary that really matters is ANH's.

Droid
09-21-2007, 11:08 AM
The only anniversary that really matters is ANH's.

Maybe it is the only one that matters to Hasbro. But I think you acknowledge of your childrens' birthdays, not just the first born.

bigbarada
09-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Maybe it is the only one that matters to Hasbro. But I think you acknowledge of your childrens' birthdays, not just the first born.

Nah, the first born is the only important one, the rest are expendable. Unless that first born is a girl, then you just hold out for the first born boy. :p

These are movies, not people. Y'know, long strings of still images that give the illusion of motion when run in sequence. Hardly comparable to a human being.

But I should have specified that it's the only anniversary that seems to matter to Hasbro. I would love to have a 25th anniversary celebration of ROTJ next year since 99% of my remaining wish list comes from that film; but I know it's pretty unlikely.

JediTricks
09-21-2007, 05:29 PM
I wonder how many other SW fans were broken of some collecting habits by Hasbro's changes during the Saga line. I'm betting a lot now, will we look back in 15 years and realize that's where it all really went wrong?

Hasbro doesn't look at this like ANH's 30th anniversary, but all of Star Wars' anniversary. That's fine, I guess, and I don't want to see them roll this gimmick out for every film's anniversary - next year is the 25th anniversary of ROTJ, then '09 is the 10th anniversary of TPM, '2010 is the 30th anniversary of ESB, '11 is strangely free, then '12 is the 10th anniversary of AOTC and the 35th anniversary of ANH, etc., etc.. (It would be nice to get a card though. :p)

General_Grievous
09-21-2007, 06:06 PM
I doubt we'll see any 25th Anniversary ROTJ figures. They barely acknowleged ANH's 25th Anniversary in '02. All they did was release three overpriced two-packs (though the Obi-Wan vs. Vader pack was awesome). And on ESB's 25th, they failed to even acknowledge it. Hell, in 2005 they didn't even release any figures from The Empire Strikes Back. So no chance for 25th Anniversary ROTJ figures.

dindae
09-21-2007, 06:59 PM
I wonder how many other SW fans were broken of some collecting habits by Hasbro's changes during the Saga line. I'm betting a lot now, will we look back in 15 years and realize that's where it all really went wrong?
I ditched carded collecting with OTC. It was far too many repacks to deal with anymore. And now with the wonder that is the Legends line I'm so glad I did. I have thought about not being as much of a completist with loose sculpts but they have really started to make an effort for there to be just enough to make it worth picking up a figure (ie Obi's cloak, moisture Vaporator, luke's shot hand, etc). As long as it is only a few figures a year I am buying just to be complete I'm ok with it.

JediTricks
09-22-2007, 02:19 AM
I am kinda curious if Hasbro's made it so there are ZERO carded completists at this point. They claim they don't really want to even cater to that sect, and I'd say by doing this they're guaranteeing it.

TheCivilCollector
09-22-2007, 02:33 AM
I am kinda curious if Hasbro's made it so there are ZERO carded completists at this point. They claim they don't really want to even cater to that sect, and I'd say by doing this they're guaranteeing it.

I'm inclined to agree with what you're saying- The repaints started getting ridiculous around the ROTS days... multiple repaints of a bunch of figures, exclusives up the wazoo... basically a field day for scalpers ("Exclusive ____ Clone Commander-RARE-$30"). Hell, even the Nemoidian Warrior had 2 different paint apps (or was it more?).

Remember when Blue Pants/Brown Pants Han and Brown Vest/Grey Vest Luke were a REALLY big deal?

JediTricks
09-22-2007, 03:44 AM
Yeah, tan vest Luke, I just brought that up yesterday! :D That was a big deal man, now it's like "who cares? We've got figures on new cards, damnit!" Saga Legends has to be the breaking point for any carded completist, especially any Yoda rehash.

Tycho
09-24-2007, 03:28 AM
I remember when the first 9 figures came out in 1995:

I never thought of "collecting them."

My thought was, I'd get 1 each of most of them, and since there was at least 6 heroes (not counting Obi-Wan, but including the droids), I'd find and buy at least 10 stormtroopers. I never had that many as a kid (I had 4 regular ones) and this way the bad guys could look like they were an Empire threatening the good guys. (This versus 1 stormtrooper fighting Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie, AND corraling the droids, etc. while Obi-Wan kept Vader busy).

But why keep them carded? Open 'em up and check them out - then they were the first SW figures in 10 years! And they were so much improved over Kenner's vintage. It was even a big deal that they had waist articulation, as the old figures never used to even have that.

Then with more figures coming, I decided to make dioramas with unlimited amounts of figures, like I always wanted to as a child. And as the choices for Hasbro's figures became more exotic than they ever had been before (starting with an actual Han Solo Stormtrooper Disguise figure!) I was going to go ballistic!

I started by buying every stormtrooper I sighted from 1995 to 1997. And multiples of others (like '95 Chewie, R2, Vader, and C-3PO etc.) just started to fall into my hands

People made a big deal about paint variations on Boba Fett, long and short sabers, and the .0000's on the back of the cards. I could care less. I was loving what I was doing!

El Chuxter
09-24-2007, 10:41 AM
After being so incredibly excited when I heard they were finally making Smuggler Lando and Torture Rack Han, then seeing the pics of the abortions they made, I'm leaning more toward "yes." I really wish they'd cut out about half the articulation and focus more on not making the figures look like a**.

Mister Roboto
09-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Someone should have nominated Tan Vest Luke for that Fan's Choice poll.

stillakid
09-24-2007, 11:17 AM
As a kid, I had some of the figures and some of the ships and playsets. Around the time of ROTJ, I was entering High School and my interest level drifted off.

When Galoob released their line of little playset things, I was very excited to be able to buy anything Star Wars again. It reignited my interest in "getting the toys" so I bought up all the Galoob that came out and even went to a few of those toy/comic shows out in Pasadena to find old vintage Kenner stuff.

Then came the "He Man" Hasbro figures. I didn't care that they looked whacked or even that Princess Leia was hideous. I have an old Cantina playset that I put the first few figures in on a shelf. I thought that Hasbro would just do a few of the heroes and that would be it. It was fun to find Star Wars toys again so I started buying them. And they kept coming, so I kept buying them. Then they got harder and harder to find, so it became this annoying and frustrating game, but I kept buying because, hey, they're Star Wars figures and they look cool!

My general desire is to get one of each kind of new figure. That means any new characters who haven't been done, but also brand new versions of characters who have been but who now have new features or accessories. Sure, some of them are better than others, but I think I enjoy the IDEA that I can collect little mini versions of these guys from the movies more than anything. I also have a couple of "side collections" like carded "Exclusives" from conventions and such as well as some high-end items, like Deluxe Don Post Vader and Biker Scout helmets.

I suppose I could just "stop" buying today and not blink, but I think that I don't really want to. Even though I don't have the collection out for display or play, it's nice knowing that it is there and will be out someday.

For now it's fun, so I'll keep doing it no matter what the figures look like. :)

bigbarada
09-24-2007, 02:42 PM
For now it's fun, so I'll keep doing it no matter what the figures look like. :)

I understand that completely. I have no real goals for collecting, I'm just in this for the enjoyment of hunting down Star Wars toys.

For me most of the fun of collecting these toys comes from walking into a store and that tiny moment of anticipation and excitement as you turn the corner into the toy aisle. It's usually followed disappointment and frustration, but the anticipation pays off enough to keep me going back.

For me, actually physically finding the figures in a store and getting a good look at them before I buy them, is a major part of this hobby. Which is why I quickly lose interest when I'm forced to go to the internet for everything. I'll usually use the internet for those rare figures that I want to be sure not to miss (Bossk, Umpass Stay, Hermie Odle and IG-88 for 2007), but would never want to rely on it completely for collecting. Where's the fun in that?

With the exception of Galactic Heroes, 2007 has been extremely frustrating for me (especially since my local Wal-Mart didn't get a single case of the vintage-style figures); but as long as Hasbro keeps making cool, obscure aliens from Jabba's Palace and the Cantina, I'll keep buying the figures. I think I'm pretty much done with the main characters and troopers.

stillakid
09-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Where's the fun in that?

That's interesting. My fun comes from the "having," never from the acquisition process. That can be a real downer.

So I'm curious how many collectors do it more for the thrill of the hunt and how many do it for the kill? :)

Kidhuman
09-24-2007, 03:03 PM
The hunt is pi**ing me o ff lately as there hasnt been anything to hunt. I went to Kmart today because my wife wanted a Fristy and they are in the same lot area. I saw a case of SW figs on a pallet. IT said wave 1 rev. 1 on it. I was like Wave 1? McStormie...hmmm. So I opened it and it was the Legends line. I took the Maul and the AOTC clones from it and the BD(to beef up an army). The rest I laid there. Now, if I had seen any newer product over the last 2 months, I might have just walked away, but nothing in stores except the usual suspects, its a find. I was happy to find, but the hunt has been letting me down as of late. Hopefully Target will get some new figs in this week with their SW fig sale.

joe-da
09-24-2007, 03:58 PM
As long as they keep making new figures of characters from the films, I'll keep buying. There's still plenty to go, but with resculpts/re-releases and non-film stuff (and even without) I doubt they'll get to them all.

waboritas
09-24-2007, 04:30 PM
My wife keeps telling me to stop coming home with Star Wars, but I can't stop! They keep coming out with new and better figures/vehicles, etc. every year. I got my first Y-Wing ever over the weekend (never got the vintage when I was young or any of the new one's predecessors in the new line (95 to present). I love it and hope to pass it on to my son as mentioned in other posts. After reading Lucas' TV Guide interview, Star Wars is not going away and is only going to expand and outlive me, dare I say when I go to the City in the Clouds. My son (8 months old this week) has his Galactic Heroes on display in his room and thoroughly enjoys teething on his GH Hammerhead. I think my wife will leave me before I give up this hobby......

dindae
09-24-2007, 04:45 PM
While I do feel the "thrill of the hunt" and get all giddy when I find figures, but at the end of the day I do it for the kill. If it was a bit cheaper I would go for Brian's toys one of every figure club. Right now I do most of my hunting on my way home when I'm shopping for other things so the gas doesn't run me much but I would love to find an online solution that is cheaper.

jjreason
09-24-2007, 05:22 PM
So I'm curious how many collectors do it more for the thrill of the hunt and how many do it for the kill? :)

I like the getting. The having doesn't really do much for me, because as soon as the figure is on the shelf, I rarely (if ever) look at it again. The hunt blows goats.

jedi master sal
09-24-2007, 05:38 PM
...I think my wife will leave me before I give up this hobby......

That has been the case more than you know.

I have no less than 4 friends/fellow collectors that that very thing has happened.

Luckily for me, my fiancee was a collector when I met her. Why she doesn't really collect toys anymore, she still understands my addiction (which I'm happy to say IS winding down-well for SW at least). She's fast becoming a techno-geek, so she's getting the cool gadgets of which I still proper from. So it's all good.

Droid
09-24-2007, 05:48 PM
I have no less than 4 friends/fellow collectors that that very thing has happened.

They broke up with a girlfriend/boyfriend or literally got a divorce? If so that is so sad. Sad the person wouldn't give up Star Wars collecting before losing a spouse. Sad the spouse would try to make the spouse choose between passions (though I assume it was about strained finances more than what was being purchased). Sad they couldn't find a middle ground.

But if a girlfriend/boyfriend can't handle the collecting, what business is it of theirs?

Tycho
09-24-2007, 08:04 PM
It could be about several things that collecting strains a relationship with:

1) finances - sure this is obvious. "Honey we can't go out this month because Sideshow just processed their charges to my account." You get a toy to collect dust. She is even more bored with you and got nothing. This relates to my opinion that it's a sad state of things when your wife / girlfriend is nothing more than your long term prostitute - but that's what it looks like in that situation. Still, can you blame her for wanting to have some fun? The only thing is, she could also take YOU out - just so long as she doesn't consistently and consecutively pay for everything while GentleGiant, Master Replicas, etc. ships stuff by the truck load to you.

2) living space - this is one I get - especially the way it had been in my old place before I rented storage. There are boxes stacked from floor to ceiling containing my toys. They are out everywhere and accumulating dust. No one else can touch them because it took nearly 2 hours to stand a Bespin Guard so he's shooting at a Godzilla-line action figure serving as an extra in my diorama and God forbid anyone knocks them down! My girlfriend would rather not breathe any dust, have a place to put her purse on my nightstand, and have 2 more hours of my attention versus having to compete with the 2001 POTJ Bespin Guard action figure.

#1 is solved by attaining more money - period. (Job, inheritance, lottery, etc.)

#2 is solved by gaining more hours in the day, renting storage, hiring a maid, buying Clear Stands for your loose figures, etc - and ultimately acquiring larger living quarters (via buying or renting) to accomodate your collection.

Quitting might not solve some of the issues:

- you'll have more money
- but you might spend your savings on storage, a maid, or higher housing costs

- will the girl be worth it for as long as you might appreciate your collection? Your collection (if it irritates you) - will continue to irritate you the same way it always does. The girlfriend / wife will develop new forms of psychosis to irritate you with as time moves on. You'll miss your collection if you lose it. You won't be able to lose HER in any such amount of time whereas it will be quick enough - and you WON'T miss her - you'll just miss it when you were both once young and having fun. You can buy the SW collection back - but you'll never succeed in buying your youth back (or especially hers)

JediTricks
09-25-2007, 04:10 PM
People made a big deal about paint variations on Boba Fett, long and short sabers, and the .0000's on the back of the cards. I could care less. I was loving what I was doing!The card variant codes were 2 digits until the Commtech line, so ".00" not ".0000"

I have no real goals for collecting, I'm just in this for the enjoyment of hunting down Star Wars toys.I don't care about the hunt, but otherwise it's the same for me as well, no stated "gotta catch 'em all" goals, it's just enjoying the product. And when the product's cutting the mustard, it can carry my interest, when it wanes as it's doing now though... well, that's obvious if you're reading this thread.

Old Fossil
10-21-2007, 09:52 PM
The line seems to be walking away from me, the more I think about it.

There's really nothing out there now and nothing coming up that I'm chomping at the bit to get. The Force Unleashed and final TAC waves I've seen previewed are leaving me underwhelmed. I don't know at this point what direction my SW collection is going to go. :confused: