PDA

View Full Version : What does it feel like to be a Transformer?

Tycho
09-20-2007, 01:14 AM
A lot of robots transform differently, so first, I don't think you can make this a one-answer-fits-all.

I was just considering Optimus Prime as I often do about 65 times a day.

If you were Optimus Prime, in his new design, you'd have to sit down with your feet out in front of you. So far so good.

Then you'd have to squash your head down into your chest cavity. Maybe you could do this if you were a robot. I don't think it would be a very relaxed position to tax yourself by going 150 mph at or something though.

Next, you'd have to put your hands behind your back. Ever been in handcuffs? Even play ones when you were a kid? It's not too comfortable. To over-extend your shoulders, while trapping your arms behind your back does not look very comfortable.

Finally, you'd kind of have twin tails sticking out of your backside, each with two sets of 70 inch tires on them. On these, you'd have to re-balance a lot of your body weight. Then roll them at 150 mph.

Overall, I'm not sure it would be very comfortable to be a Transformer - at least not in Optimus Prime's case.

I conclude that his vehicle mode is definitely NOT his relaxed position he'd prefer to be in.

On the other hand, much of what BumbleBee has to do is like lying down to suntan your back. It might not be his all-time comfortable position (to be a Camaro) but he's not likely to be as uncomfortable as Optimus Prime.

Do you have any thoughts about what it would be like to be any particular Transformer?

plasticfetish
09-20-2007, 01:27 AM
Mmmm... I'm not sure, but I think I'd like to be Sunstreaker.

Rocketboy
09-20-2007, 03:47 PM
PF, that may be the best post in SSG history!

JediTricks
09-20-2007, 05:24 PM
PF, that may be the best post in SSG history!
Or at least the oldest. :p It's not the first time we've seen that post, how many times does that ol' turkey get trotted out?

Anyway, you can't imagine what it'd feel like for a robot to transform because they don't have human limitations, their shoulders can rotate back without discomfort. In the movie universe, they have tens of thousands of parts moving around all at once, you're not going to be able to imagine how that feels because it's too foreign a concept. And the movie makes it clear they don't have limbs in alt mode, once in alt mode the parts are all spread out - damn I hate the movie designs.

Tycho
09-20-2007, 06:51 PM
So in the movie universe, what ARE they? (the intended Cybertronian species representation, not some answer like "CGI creations.")

So they are shape-shifting aliens? What is their natural form? Why are they robots instead of rock lords or something else?

Did they stop to think about this when they were re-inventing the franchise?

(STOP FOR A MINUTE: - I know the history - Takara made some toy robots that could become Tonka toy cars or Matchbox ones, as well as various other objects like weapons and tech gear. Hasbro decided to market it with character references and they commissioned a cartoon show to tell the story. That's all fine. It has its real-world origins. Now they reboot the whole franchise thing with live-action. They have a chance to develop a legend, a saga. It needs a backstory. Don't you figure? OK - we got some of it: a cube flying through space gave live to presumably inert materials and made them into what? Do they have souls? Why do they have different personalities? Why were they given life in the first place? Again: what the heck are they?)

Back to the original topic: if you are a Transformer and you don't have joints and limbs as we are familiar with them as humans, what the heck does it feel like to transform? Is your robot mode your prefered state to be in? Is it uncomfortable to be a truck or a jet? If you can become a jet, are you faster at travel in this form than you would be as a robot? If you can turn into a commet and fly through space, why can't you turn into something that flies in the earth's atmosphere but your enemies can? Could Optimus scan a jet and become a jet instead of a truck? Does the movie have a different take on the answer to that question? Can Starscream fly as a robot - or only as a jet? (In the movie universe).

El Chuxter
09-20-2007, 07:01 PM
It's been known to sexually arouse some Transformers. That's why Seaspray was cut out of the series so early. Kids just didn't need to see that.

2-1B
09-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Seaspray sounds like a pretty sexually aroused name to begin with.

I'd like to know how it feels for a robot to urinate on another robot. Michael Bay obviously wondered the same thing.

Tycho
09-20-2007, 07:28 PM
No, BumbleBee was leaking lubricants on a (human) Sector-7 agent.

And I wouldn't term the act a Golden Shower either - well unless it was brand new Valvoline I guess. I think Penzoil is darker and that might be termed "Brown Water."

JediTricks
09-20-2007, 09:13 PM
So in the movie universe, what ARE they? (the intended Cybertronian species representation, not some answer like "CGI creations.")

So they are shape-shifting aliens? What is their natural form? Why are they robots instead of rock lords or something else?

Did they stop to think about this when they were re-inventing the franchise?I really don't think they know exactly what they had in mind. When you have Bumblebee changing shape in an instant for both modes, that's a level of technology that is beyond what we saw in Beast Wars, it's an all-body nanotech thing maybe, I don't know. Shape- and mass-shifting sentient machines that prefer to take vaguely human form, that's the best way I can put it.

(STOP FOR A MINUTE: - I know the history - Takara made some toy robots that could become Tonka toy cars or Matchbox ones, as well as various other objects like weapons and tech gear. Hasbro decided to market it with character references and they commissioned a cartoon show to tell the story. That's all fine. It has its real-world origins. Actually, the main Takara lines don't use the same concept. The line with the vehicles (except for the minibots) comes from mecha, Optimus Prime is supposed to be a robot driven by human drivers. The "stuff" end like Megatron, and the mini-bots, are supposed to be actual-sized robots in actual size fighting and interacting with Microman (who is also actual-sized).

Now they reboot the whole franchise thing with live-action. They have a chance to develop a legend, a saga. It needs a backstory. Don't you figure? OK - we got some of it: a cube flying through space gave live to presumably inert materials and made them into what? Do they have souls? Why do they have different personalities? Why were they given life in the first place? Again: what the heck are they?)They didn't really think it through, where did the machines that became the Transformers come from when the Allspark created them? What were they before it imbued them with life? Why do they turn into humanoid robots? Even stuff like Dewbot and Nokiabot (not actual names) are mostly humanoid, but no reasoning why they're that - or why they're all evil.

BB whizzed on the guy, we all know what that was. I think the liquid was slightly pink because that's the color of gasoline.

2-1B
09-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Even better that Double B peed on a human rather than a robot, maybe Bay was making a comparison to the franchise and the fans. lol

Even stuff like Dewbot and Nokiabot (not actual names)

It should be their actual names ! Well done, JT. :D