PDA

View Full Version : Han Bespin Torture Rack

Tycho
09-21-2007, 12:06 PM
In looking at Rebelscum's pictures of the whole group of all the Han Bespins ever made, it clearly illustrates that the POTJ figure is the best that's ever been done for my favorite version of Han Solo.

It's hard to believe that the ultra skinny (anorexic) Han that is made for the TAC torture rack got by LFL approval. Just looking at that figure lineup, can't you tell?

RS further illustrates that the Han BT figure is made from the VOTC Endor body parts. I don't own the VOTC figure - but now I'm even happier about that.

I still plan on buying Han BT. I wanted them to make that figure. But what the heck happened to him?

Darth Vader: "You will suffer until I have Skywalker - and the worst part of this will be that you will never carry the weight that Jek Porkins did in the Rebel Alliance!"

bigbarada
09-21-2007, 12:35 PM
I kind of like the head and I'm wondering how it will look on one of the other Han Solo figures, but that waistline is just horrible.... almost comically bad.

I guess Hasbro thought we would never take him out of the torture rack so it didn't matter.:mad:

El Chuxter
09-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Yikes! I'm far less enthusiastic about this figure now.

Tycho
09-21-2007, 12:54 PM
I guess Hasbro thought we would never take him out of the torture rack so it didn't matter.:mad:

Yeah, but the RS pics clearly show that the lower body is a repaint of VOTC Han Endor. So (for any who have that one loose) - how pathetic is that figure?

I'd say the POTJ is the best, but the steroid popping POTF2 and its re-use variations are better than the more recent figure - and that is sad.

It's like "for the 30th Anniv. we've lowered our quality standards just for you!"

Thanks Hasbro.:rolleyes::mad:

stillakid
09-21-2007, 01:30 PM

Why would you want to take him out of the torture rack? :confused: "Torture Rack Han" was born to live in torture rack and suffer an eternity of pain and suffering. He wasn't born to pose in the Cantina or sit in the Falcon. He was born to suffer. Let him enjoy his purpose for existence. :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-21-2007, 02:34 PM
The VOTC and VTSC Hans both had the same legs, the extreme skinniness of which were obscured by the holster. The same thing is done here with the white belt on the torture rack (as he doesn't have the holster), so I'm not too worried about it.

I think the head looks retarded from the side, and I'm not a fan of that kind of waist joint when done so poorly like this, but of course the real draw here is the torture rack.

Tycho
09-21-2007, 03:15 PM
I noticed that Rebelscum's articulation diagram photograph didn't indicate "abs" waist articulation (like VOTC Tatooine Luke). I think it is just the loosening of Han's shirt reflected in the sculpt (or RS forgot to illuminate one pt. of articulation). But Han did have an "unusual" pattern of cut to his Bespin shirt - and since he was forcibly positioned on a face-down incline for his torture - it hung off him differently than normal.

That still might be "abs" articulation - but I don't think that would be necessary for this figure.

TheRealDubya
09-21-2007, 03:35 PM
So basically...you could take an extra VTOC or VTSC Han and put one of those heads and the holtser on this guy and have a decent SA Bespin Han, right?

Otherwise, the proportions on this sucker look retarded.

All things being equal, the POTJ version (and therefore the Betrayal at Bespin BP version for later this year) will remain the defacto Han Bespin for me.

JediTricks
09-21-2007, 03:56 PM
The only thing that's VOTC on this figure is the legs, not the waist, there is no way to swap in the holster from either Vintage Han.

I'm glad I warned folks off of accepting this as "the" next Bespin Han. The head doesn't really work, the upper body is much bigger than the lower body from the mid-torso down, and it's just... not right.

However, what RS's lineup of Bespin Han figs shows is that the POTJ one is woefully out of date in its sculpt.

El Chuxter
09-21-2007, 04:10 PM
However, what RS's lineup of Bespin Han figs shows is that the POTJ one is woefully out of date in its sculpt.

You're joking, right?

Or you mean POTF2? Is that it?

I'm looking at the pic right now, and I cannot see how the Torture Rack Han sculpt is superior to the POTJ. In fact, aside from the torture rack itself (the only reason I'd buy this figure), it's quite inferior.

I'm just not from the school of thought that thinks more joints automatically equals a better figure.

TheRealDubya
09-21-2007, 04:55 PM
I'm just not from the school of thought that thinks more joints automatically equals a better figure.

Me neither -- I'm not convinced that every figure requires knee articulation. The Bigg in Academy Uniform, for example, is perfectly cool. Elbow articulation, however, I am very much in favor of.

In terms of the POTJ Han Bespin, I think the head sculpt & jacket could be improved upon, but the rest is fine. Perhaps the legs are a bit too wide. I dunno, it looks good on the shelf.

JediTricks
09-21-2007, 05:12 PM
You're joking, right?

Or you mean POTF2? Is that it?

I'm looking at the pic right now, and I cannot see how the Torture Rack Han sculpt is superior to the POTJ. In fact, aside from the torture rack itself (the only reason I'd buy this figure), it's quite inferior.

I'm just not from the school of thought that thinks more joints automatically equals a better figure.Where did I say it was superior? Nowhere. I said the POTJ figure is a woefully outdated sculpt, it had no bearing on this new figure whatsoever. And it's a fact: everything about his design is out of date - his headsculpt is very soft, his outfit is lacking detail, he's a little preposed, his costume coloring is off (that jacket is supposed to be dark "off-black" gray, not blue), his arms are very long, and his articulation is sub-par. Just because it's the best Han Bespin doesn't mean it's not out-of-date - look at Luke DS2, the best version of that is from a Cinema Scene from 10 years ago, does that mean it's not outdated simply because the newer one isn't better? No, of course not.

Me neither -- I'm not convinced that every figure requires knee articulation. The Bigg in Academy Uniform, for example, is perfectly cool. Elbow articulation, however, I am very much in favor of.I've recently come to believe that EVERY figure needs ankle articulation. Not only does it help with stability, but it's vital to any leg pose at least as much as knee articulation, in fact I think it's MORE vital than knee articulation. Look at the Cmdr Cody figure, he's super-articulated except for 2 POA: shoulders and ankles, and only 1 of those is incredibly limiting to the guy.

Battle Droid
09-21-2007, 11:28 PM
The torture rack isn't very accurate, look at all the little torturing devices on there.

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2788/pdvd525yc4.png

stillakid
09-22-2007, 12:18 AM
The torture rack isn't very accurate, look at all the little torturing devices on there.

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2788/pdvd525yc4.png

Ya know, if you just turn the whole thing over, it's not for torture anymore. :love::thumbsup:

TheCivilCollector
09-22-2007, 02:39 AM
I'm going to buy the Torture rack Han. Providing it fits the Ep1 Jar Jar.

Look at the Cmdr Cody figure, he's super-articulated except for 2 POA: shoulders and ankles, and only 1 of those is incredibly limiting to the guy.

Does the paint App fit the orange clones?(I can't remember without digging it out) I wonder if one could pop off the torso or legs on put them on Cody- Voila! SA!

figrin bran
09-22-2007, 03:03 AM
I've recently come to believe that EVERY figure needs ankle articulation. Not only does it help with stability, but it's vital to any leg pose at least as much as knee articulation, in fact I think it's MORE vital than knee articulation. Look at the Cmdr Cody figure, he's super-articulated except for 2 POA: shoulders and ankles, and only 1 of those is incredibly limiting to the guy.

Not every figure, JT. ROTS Aayla doesn't benefit from having ankle articulation at all and if anything, it makes it even harder to get her to stand up. Leia Starkiller is similarly as slender as Aayla but they didn't give her ankle articulation and she stands up nicely.

A lot of the recent comic 2 pack figures have ankle but no knee articulation - Vader from the Infinities pack for instance. They might as well have not articulated the ankles because there's not many other poses you can put him in other than the default.

Does the paint App fit the orange clones?(I can't remember without digging it out) I wonder if one could pop off the torso or legs on put them on Cody- Voila! SA!

I did that for my Cody only I used a regular white #41 clone. The Utapau clone knees would be inaccurate as you would need to paint the knee guards completely orange and then paint white over the orange stripes around the ankles.

bigbarada
09-22-2007, 03:13 AM
I've recently come to believe that EVERY figure needs ankle articulation. Not only does it help with stability, but it's vital to any leg pose at least as much as knee articulation, in fact I think it's MORE vital than knee articulation. Look at the Cmdr Cody figure, he's super-articulated except for 2 POA: shoulders and ankles, and only 1 of those is incredibly limiting to the guy.

I definitely agree there. I bought way too many figures in the early POTF2 days that just would not stand on their own. Be it either poorly pre-posed legs or just warped plastic. Ankle articulation would have solved all of those issues because it allows for those minute adjustments to the feet that help the figures to stand on their own.

JediTricks
09-22-2007, 03:14 AM
Yeah, I noticed that Hasbro kinda wussed out on the torture rack's implements.

Does the paint App fit the orange clones?(I can't remember without digging it out) I wonder if one could pop off the torso or legs on put them on Cody- Voila! SA!No, the orange from the knees down on Cody is only the entire kneepad, whereas on the orange clone it's just the inner face of the kneepads plus the lower shin.

Sinscia Fat'o
09-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Well these are toys, and toys should be able to be posed, and moved around so articulation is a great benfit to toys. I dont understand why some collectors dont like added points of articulation espically since it does nothing but appeal to kids. When i was young i dropped Star Wars for GI Joe, why you ask, because star wars figures sucked next to Gi Joes. Joes could move and do things a star wars figures couldn't.

Every Figure should haveArticulated:

Head Movement (Back and fourth at least though the ball point is nice in my opinion.

Shoulders, I like the joint in the shoulders, not the cut up and down movement from POTF2 days and Vintage, the joint does added poses which is cool.

Elbows, one of the most important part of any figure espically in this scale.

Wrists, not as important but very cool none the least, espically when you got Lando holding a Glock 9 all gangsta :)

Stomatch, i think should only be on troops, because on normal figures it can hamber sculpting detail but it worked really great on Obi Wan Pilot...so i dont know, though this is great on Troopers.

Waste, another standard movement thats cool, and should be left in and is actually on most figures from POTF2 on up.

Knees, i think all figures should have this, just because some characters were not seen sitting on film doesnt mean we might not want them with the capability of sitting. It creates playability for kids and gives loose collectors with options in poseing their figures.

Ankles, i think without knees there should be any ankles though in some cases as pointed out above espically with Aayla Secura, the ankles hinder the figure greatly, but on a stand

I think every figure should have at least 12-13 points of movement, why? Why not, what saved Marvel Toys? But the MArvel Legends line, and what made that line so cool was that they where moveable not statues, i think Star Wars figures needs the same thing going they have, and yes i know there are some times like with Hermi Odle, that this much movement isn't required so articulation should be handled case by case.

stillakid
09-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Joes could move and do things a star wars figures couldn't.

Such as....? :sur:

bigbarada
09-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Well these are toys, and toys should be able to be posed, and moved around so articulation is a great benfit to toys. I dont understand why some collectors dont like added points of articulation espically since it does nothing but appeal to kids. When i was young i dropped Star Wars for GI Joe, why you ask, because star wars figures sucked next to Gi Joes. Joes could move and do things a star wars figures couldn't.

Every Figure should haveArticulated:

Head Movement (Back and fourth at least though the ball point is nice in my opinion.

Shoulders, I like the joint in the shoulders, not the cut up and down movement from POTF2 days and Vintage, the joint does added poses which is cool.

Elbows, one of the most important part of any figure espically in this scale.

Wrists, not as important but very cool none the least, espically when you got Lando holding a Glock 9 all gangsta :)

Stomatch, i think should only be on troops, because on normal figures it can hamber sculpting detail but it worked really great on Obi Wan Pilot...so i dont know, though this is great on Troopers.

Waste, another standard movement thats cool, and should be left in and is actually on most figures from POTF2 on up.

Knees, i think all figures should have this, just because some characters were not seen sitting on film doesnt mean we might not want them with the capability of sitting. It creates playability for kids and gives loose collectors with options in poseing their figures.

Ankles, i think without knees there should be any ankles though in some cases as pointed out above espically with Aayla Secura, the ankles hinder the figure greatly, but on a stand

I think every figure should have at least 12-13 points of movement, why? Why not, what saved Marvel Toys? But the MArvel Legends line, and what made that line so cool was that they where moveable not statues, i think Star Wars figures needs the same thing going they have, and yes i know there are some times like with Hermi Odle, that this much movement isn't required so articulation should be handled case by case.

I agree completely, I also thought that GI Joe figures were superior to Star Wars as a kid and it was because of all the extra articulation. Not to mention Kenner's refusal to resculpt critical characters like Darth Vader and Chewbacca. It's easy to look back and think that the Kenner line was perfect in every way with no flaws; but that was not how I felt about it when I was a kid. For the most part, I thought the line was crap back then, I hated figures like Darth Vader and Chewbacca who looked nothing like they did onscreen.

I think every upcoming figure needs to be as super-articulated as possible, there should be no going backwards.

bigbarada
09-22-2007, 02:55 PM

..... let's just say, my Lady Jaye figure was a tramp. :eek:

lol

Sinscia Fat'o
09-22-2007, 04:56 PM

Move around, the average Joe was pose friendly, and even as a kid i always liked leaving my toys posed on their playsets, and such Star Wars figures huh...not so much. They moved their arms, leggs and head which made them very boring to play with as a child. Nothing was cooler than having each Joe actually doing something on the USS Flag (The air craft carrier play set) not just standing there looking like a DeeDudDee... Poor Chewie from vintage couldn't even move his head.

My whole thing for Articulation is what it can do for toys, again marvel toys such as X-Men and Spider Man were dieing off, and when toy biz decided to aim one last line at collectors called Marvel LEgends it saved the lines from going into oblivion and look at where there at now (Insert Hasbro Joke here) Im just saying making toys be toys will do nothing but help the line breath and keep appeal with kids and collectors a like. I'm not saying every figure that comes down the pike should have 30-40 points of articulation, but i think as much as possiable would be nice, since now in my 20's i still have my star wars and 25th joes posed on my desk, and books shelves. And the joes have tons more life to them (And its even sadder there made by the same company)

2-1B
09-22-2007, 05:42 PM
What does the torture rack do - cut off heads ?

That's the impression I'm getting from that ball jointed neck. lol

stillakid
09-22-2007, 07:54 PM
What does the torture rack do - cut off heads ?

That's the impression I'm getting from that ball jointed neck. lol

(SNL Celebrity Jeopardy Sean Connery voice:)

"He said BALL!"

Devo
09-22-2007, 08:23 PM
Chiming in relatively late on this but yeah, thats easily one of the worst figures of recent times. I like very little about the figure itself, only the torture rack makes it worthwhile. The proportions are absolutely, no question (except how the **** did it get approval) b*ll**ks.

Never liked the VOTC Han, I've said that before - size Zero Han more like. And it pains me that they keep reusing parts from that figure as though it is the supreme template - HES ANOREXIC!!!!! IT IS PLAIN TO SEE!!!

The POTJ Bespin Han could be better but the way Hasbro are doing human figures lately I don't see it being improved at all. Likenesses are going down the pan as Hasbro attempts to imbue them with facial personality - just look at the new Lando - he ought to have 666 emblazoned on his forehead. And we know what happened with moff jerrjerrod and what always, without fail, happens with Luke figures.

Han needs an entirely new sculpt - preferably by someone who has awareness about human anatomy (and a deep hatred for ball-joint necks).

JediTricks
09-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Such as....? :sur:SIT IN A COCKPIT! Holy crap did that bug me about SW figures when I was a kid. Star Wars vehicles all had this horrible flat nothing cockpit while GI Joe vehicles from '82 on had these awesome cockpit control seats, figures had to bend at the knees and hips and even waist and neck to get in them but they really looked like they were driving!

And they could side-kick, that's the best action figure move in the GI Joe hand-to-hand arsenal and Star Wars figures still can't do it 25 years after GI Joe schooled 'em. The universal-jointed shoulders on the Joes were great too, pose your guys up like real action dudes, the out-to-the-side and bent-elbow poses were crucial to a lot of great play action when I was a kid - Star Wars took almost 2 decades to catch up there.

Like Sinscia and BB, I preferred GI Joe figs over SW in the early '80s because of 3 things: poseability, accessories, and vehicles (there just weren't enough in SW).

Never liked the VOTC Han, I've said that before - size Zero Han more like. These actors aren't very buff, they're normal guys, I don't like the VOTC Han but I don't think he's too small in his body proportions (though he does seem too small in the 3.75" scale overall). It doesn't help though that his belt looks like it's falling off.

TheCivilCollector
09-23-2007, 06:03 PM
SIT IN A COCKPIT! Holy crap did that bug me about SW figures when I was a kid. Star Wars vehicles all had this horrible flat nothing cockpit while GI Joe vehicles from '82 on had these awesome cockpit control seats, figures had to bend at the knees and hips and even waist and neck to get in them but they really looked like they were driving!

Agreed.

I always thought SW Vehicle cockpits were oversized in proportion to the vehicle, where JOE cockpits seemed to fit the figure-vehicle-cockpit ratio better.

Even the SA SW figs are missing a key point of articulation- the hips. Shame that they couldn't work in the same kind of articulation that the new anniversary JOEs have. Maybe because they wouldn't fit as well with the older figures? (just an idea)

Tycho
09-23-2007, 08:54 PM
The human likenesses of the TAC collection are getting ridiculously hard to fathom. But did you notice the problem is only with resculpted figures?

Utopau Swimming Love Doll Obi-Wan - pucker mouth
Rapidly Aged Mace Windu with Geriatric Issues
Rebel Honor Guard - fine actually
Han Solo Falcon Gunner - actually somewhat OK I guess. I've never really looked
Luke Yavin Ceremony with Gothic Look and Cancer Affliction
Death Star Trooper - decent I think
Biggs X-wing Pilot - decent I think
Biggs Academy - great figure. Nothing wrong here.
Phil Collins with Moisture Vaporator - oh wait, I heard it was supposed to be Luke
Luke Jedi - since it's a repack of what was originally a 2004 figure, no problem really
Anakin Nelvan Episode - whatever
Leia Starkiller - uh? I haven't seen her up close
Han Bespin Anorexia - case made
Lando Smuggler - not sure there's a problem yet. I think it's a 2004 face sculpt.
General Ralph - I could care less, but it's a tribute sculpt, so it's likely to be good

We'll stop there. The Tycho figure looks like it might be alright. I can't say for sure yet. We'll see how he turns out. I bolded pathetic figures above.

2-1B
09-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Star Wars figures were my favorites because they were cooler characters but GI Joes were definitely better toys.

Blue2th
09-23-2007, 09:58 PM
only the torture rack makes it worthwhile. The proportions are absolutely, no question (except how the **** did it get approval) b*ll**ks.

Haven't you heard? torture racks are back in fashion again. ;)

bigbarada
09-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Luke Jedi - since it's a repack of what was originally a 2004 figure, no problem really

It's not a repack, it's a 100% completely new sculpt. The headsculpt of Luke in this case looks about as good as I think we can expect at this scale, it's just finding one with a decent paint job is the problem.

AmanaMatt
09-24-2007, 01:27 AM
I am looking forward to this fig as part of the Torture Rack set. The fig itself is 'alright' but we need 'THE' ultimate version of Bespin Han. Another reason I am bummed about not getting Vintage next year - I am convinced he would have been included sooner than later!

Devo
09-24-2007, 02:19 PM
These actors aren't very buff, they're normal guys, I don't like the VOTC Han but I don't think he's too small in his body proportions (though he does seem too small in the 3.75" scale overall). It doesn't help though that his belt looks like it's falling off.

You're right. In and of himself his proportions are fine - but in relation to every other figure and every other Han figure - its wrong. He's skinnier than many Lukes and even some old Leias look like they could take him. And clearly, as this new Bespin Han demonstrates, VOTC parts are not compatible with the more in proportion torsos they're using on Han. My god this really is an embarrassment of a Star Wars figure. All I can think is how was it allowed to happen?

stillakid
09-24-2007, 02:40 PM
how was it allowed to happen?

Sunspots.

Tycho
09-24-2007, 05:38 PM
I met another collector in Wal-Mart today. Just at a random time. I was looking at the Deluxe Transformers (they actually stocked some) and a guy came in and went to SW. He asked, "You like the TF's? I buy some, but I'm really into these." (indicates the SW). I told him that I was as well - and we found out that we both are into doing dioramas. This prompts a long discussion about the state of the hobby.

Here is ANOTHER collector whom I've never met before who thinks the sculpts on some of the main characters have just totally gone downhill this year.

The Rebel Honor Guard, Biggs, and the DS Trooper are all fine - so why are Luke, Han, Obi-Wan, and Mace turning out like [auto-censored]?

jedi master sal
09-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Given that I'll never take him off the rack, the fig will do just fine for what he is.

I'll hope for a proper Bespin Han somewhere down the line.