PDA

View Full Version : Dane Cook- not funny

JON9000
09-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't think Dane Cook is hilarious? I listened to a whole CD of his given to me by a friend who swore it was a riot. I don't think I even chuckled. Am I losing my sense of humor in my old age? :shocked:

stillakid
09-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't think Dane Cook is hilarious? I listened to a whole CD of his given to me by a friend who swore it was a riot. I don't think I even chuckled. Am I losing my sense of humor in my old age? :shocked:

I first "heard" Dane Cook when shooting one of his live performances in Hollywood. I thought the show was hilarious.

With that thought in mind, I went ahead and bought the CD. I found that to be spectacularly, not funny.

Wondering what the heck was going on, I think that what I realized is that Dane Cook is more of a performance artist than true standup comedian. He's funny, but most of his comedy plays out because of the way he delivers it, not because the material itself it inherently funny. It's a fine line, I know, but that's the only thing I've been able to come up with to explain the disparity.

JediTricks
09-21-2007, 03:31 PM
He doesn't tell jokes, instead he "sells" his stories as funny even when they're not. Personally, I think he's WAY overrated and just damn good at self-marketing (he dumped some ridiculous sum into kick-starting his career via marketing while he was still starting out, and built a lot of his audience via myspace rather than material). Plus, Cook does tend to "borrow" material from other comedians.

Kidhuman
09-21-2007, 03:58 PM
I dont think he is funny at all. I think I laughed at one of his jokes on the HBO comedy special he did. The DJ diddles thing cracked me up, about it.

General_Grievous
09-21-2007, 05:21 PM
I like watching his material better than listening to it. He's funny at times, but his jokes fall flat a lot. On one of his CDs, he started a joke and didn't even finish it.

stillakid
09-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Right... the words I was looking for earlier were "performance artist." He doesn't stand up there and tell one-liners, like Bill Cosby or Steven Wright. A lot of his funniest stuff on stage is the way he builds up a story and acts it out, like the "who sh** on the coats" sketch. Very NOT funny on CD, but to watch him perform it on stage the first time with a drunk crowd full of Hollywood hotties, it is amusing. :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-21-2007, 05:43 PM
I liked him a lot better before he started making movies.

A dark, dark day for America.

2-1B
09-21-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm 29 and love him, both in concert and on CD. Retaliation is some good stuff !

They should have used him more in the movie Waiting.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-21-2007, 06:44 PM
My buddy got me into Dane Cook when his first CD came out and I loved him since then.....and then I found out how he steals stuff from other comedians, Ie- Louis CK. There is an online mp3 that compares stuff from Louis' earlier CD's and how Dane takes them pretty much verbatim. I'd post the link, but it has profanity. If i get clearance from JT, i'll post it, but since I found out about his theft, i'd tossed his discs and washed my hands of him. I enjoyed him in "Waiting..." and I think he'lll be alright in the new Steve Carrel movie, but as for his standup, he's a hack. :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
09-21-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm Dane Cook. I'm gonna tell a story with over pronounced body motions and repeat words over and over until they get through the thick skull I assume you have until you think its funny. After all, I am Dane Cook. And who could possibly be smarter than me?! By the way, I slid it in Jessica Simpson. I'm so awesome I get sloppy seconds from the guy whos brother won "Dancing With the Stars". Sufi, brah!

Karen! Karen! Karen!

(For my money, I'd take Demetri Martin any day.)

Jayspawn
09-21-2007, 10:41 PM
I like Dane Cook. I like his delivery of stories which are pretty much true. So I think hes funny.

JediTricks
09-22-2007, 02:05 AM
I liked him a lot better before he started making movies.

A dark, dark day for America.Actually, he started making his horrible movies before he hit the big comedy scene. He was the co-star of the Dennis Rodman flick "Simon Sez" early in his standup career.

My buddy got me into Dane Cook when his first CD came out and I loved him since then.....and then I found out how he steals stuff from other comedians, Ie- Louis CK. There is an online mp3 that compares stuff from Louis' earlier CD's and how Dane takes them pretty much verbatim. I'd post the link, but it has profanity. If i get clearance from JT, i'll post it, but since I found out about his theft, i'd tossed his discs and washed my hands of him. I enjoyed him in "Waiting..." and I think he'lll be alright in the new Steve Carrel movie, but as for his standup, he's a hack. :thumbsup:Louis CK actually has just let the whole thing blow over, doesn't care anymore, but he's hardly the only superior comedian Dane Cook has ripped off. Louis does say that it's ironic though that Dane Cook gets very protective and even litigious over other standups ripping off Cook when Cook is such a hack himself.

I don't think I can allow the profanity part, but PM the link to me and I'll give it a listen, see if it's clearable.

I'm Dane Cook. I'm gonna tell a story with over pronounced body motions and repeat words over and over until they get through the thick skull I assume you have until you think its funny. After all, I am Dane Cook. And who could possibly be smarter than me?! By the way, I slid it in Jessica Simpson. I'm so awesome I get sloppy seconds from the guy whos brother won "Dancing With the Stars". Sufi, brah!

Karen! Karen! Karen!

(For my money, I'd take Demetri Martin any day.)Fantastic! And yeah, Dane Cook will take Demetri Martin... well, his material anyway. He told one of Martin's jokes on SNL when he hosted, if you can believe it! That's some b*lls!

CaptainSolo1138
09-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Fantastic! And yeah, Dane Cook will take Demetri Martin... well, his material anyway. He told one of Martin's jokes on SNL when he hosted, if you can believe it! That's some b*lls!I didn't see that. No, I didn't just miss that part, I purposely didn't watch that episode. I can't even stand looking at him and his smug sense of self-satisfaction. If anyone needed a Nerf bat to the crotch, it's that guy.

Even his whole Su-fi thing is a total knock-off of the "Shocker". C'mon, man, do something on your own.

2-1B
09-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Even his whole Su-fi thing is a total knock-off of the "Shocker". C'mon, man, do something on your own.

I think it's more a knock-off of the middle finger, but...

JediTricks
09-22-2007, 08:52 PM
I didn't see that. No, I didn't just miss that part, I purposely didn't watch that episode. I can't even stand looking at him and his smug sense of self-satisfaction. If anyone needed a Nerf bat to the crotch, it's that guy.Minus the "nerf" part.

Kidhuman
09-22-2007, 09:43 PM
I just saw him in Waiting... and he was pretty funny. I guess someone else wrote his jokes. :D

jjreason
09-22-2007, 09:45 PM
I still haven't rolled over and watched Waiting yet, but I guess now I'm pretty much forced to. Bloody pier pressure..... :upset:

jedi master sal
09-22-2007, 10:26 PM
I thought he was good as a host on SNL, but otherwise I'm not a fan. Though I do plan on seeing his latest movie "Good luck Chuck," but not for him....hmmm, luscious Jessica Alba.

El Chuxter
09-23-2007, 12:35 AM
I don't know much about the guy, but Waiting looked about as funny as one of those pimples on your butt that you don't know about until it gets really big and makes it painful to sit.

Rocketboy
09-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Its all about Gaffigan.

2-1B
09-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Gaffigan is okay for about 3 and a half minutes, then his whiny whisper voice makes my ears bleed.

JediTricks
09-24-2007, 08:11 PM
I heard the sample of Louis CK's bits and then Dane Cook's ripoffs, it's really blatant and even THEN he still isn't telling a joke, the laughs he does get are about the words (and probably gestures) he's using.

Gaffigan is okay for about 3 and a half minutes, then his whiny whisper voice makes my ears bleed.I think he can be funny for a full set, but that voice you're talking about, he uses that f'er way way way too much and all his imitations of people seem to be that same thing.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-26-2007, 09:40 PM
When I saw Jim Gaffigan live last year, he added a deep voice for the first few minutes of his set to talk with the other one. At least I think he did; it was a while ago. Man I'm tired.

CaptainSolo1138
09-28-2007, 06:57 AM
I'm surprised no one has posted the "Dane-Cook-a-tron" (http://www.collegehumor.com/article:1741011/) yet.

El Chuxter
09-28-2007, 09:35 AM
So all that does is put it in all-caps and add a bunch of exclamations?

That's even less funny than Mr Cook himself.

CaptainSolo1138
09-28-2007, 11:21 AM
But its just like Dane Cook! Everything is funnier when you say it really, really loud!!!!!

UKWildcat
10-01-2007, 04:17 PM
I don't mind Dane Cook. Some of his stand up is funny, while other parts fall short or seem rather recycled. I thought Vicious Circle was pretty good, but I got to the point where I couldn't stand that damn Tourgasm show. But for the most part, I like the guy.

2-1B
10-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Tourgasm was cool in some ways and awful in other ways. I do like Gary Gulman, I think he's funny.