PDA

View Full Version : QUESTIONS FOR HASBRO - round 38

JediTricks
09-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Please post your VOTE for up to 6 {six} of the questions provided in this thread, letting us know which ones you most want to see asked on Friday, October 5th. Keep in mind that your votes in round 37 do not count in this round, so if your question is still on the list you may want to vote for it again.

Also, feel free to post new questions. For reference, here are Hasbro's answers to previous SSG questions (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=716); to ActionFigs.com's questions (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=1384); and from other sites (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=510). The questions we asked last round can be found here (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=571864#post571864).

Current questions (vote for up to 6):

- Canadaian collectors miss out on a many of the US-only store exclusives. Any chance Canadians could have every exclusive figure/vehicle/combination made available on shop.starwars.com after their shelf runs in the US stores?
- If Hasbro feels that mid-sized vehicles is the way to go, then will we be seeing more airspeeders and landspeeders in the forseeable future? Some of the airspeeders are pretty much snubfighter sized.
- Eventually will all the Episode III Clone Commanders be released as an entire set?
- In recent years, many Darth Vader figures have included a silver piece of fabric material around the neck to represent the chain that holds Vader's cape on. However, every time this feature has been included, the "chain" ends up looking too big and out-of-place, while Vader figures that do not include this chain end up looking much better. In the interest of accuracy, could the chain either be scaled down (to better match its look in Episodes III, V, and VI), or done as sculpted plastic (as on earlier incarnations), or simply left off (as in Episode IV) on future Darth Vader figures?
- Some collectors missed out on the Vintage-style figures and now must look to ebay and other wretched hives of scum and villainy for these fine figures. What is the likelihood of seeing any or all of those Vintage-style figures rereleased and getting more of collectors' money directly? (They'd prefer to give it to you rather than overpriced after-market guys.)
- Will we be seeing the Titanium AOTC Jedi Starfighter repainted in all the color schemes the figure scale one has come in (Clone Wars teal, Saesee Tiin's, Kit Fisto's), the way it is currently slated for a Plo Koon repaint?
- The Snowspeeder has only been an exclusive item in the past two releases for it where prior releases were regular mass-retail. Why the exclusivity and accompanying higher pricepoint on this vehicle? If it's due to its somewhat large size compared to other vehicles, could it be scaled down to accurate proportions (since it is actually a little too large as-is) and released in the $20 line?
- Are there folks today at Hasbro who were working on the Star Wars line back when it was reborn in 1995? Was there any clue behind-the-scenes back then that the Star Wars toy line would garner such a huge adult collector following? Were adult collectors considered at all on any level back then when forging the line's beginnings? What do you folks think of the extensive adult collector enthusiasm for the line today, 12 years later?
- Why is it that Hasbro produces some vehicles that are incredibly difficult, even impossible, to fit regular figures inside such as the Ep 1 Flash Speeder, or Ep 2 Zam's & Anakin's Speeder?
- Twice during the prequels, a vehicle toy's MSRP was dropped significantly without any changes to its mold - the first being the Episode I Naboo Royal Starship which went from $100 to $50, and the second being the Republic Gunship which in the Saga line was $40 but subsequent releases were $30. What were the causes of these price drops? Why hasn't this happened with other vehicles in similar high pricepoints?
- With there being so much competition in regards to high end collecting with other licensees, has Hasbro considered perhaps making the figures' accessories out of metal like the already established saber hilts from the 2002 Saga line? (This was even recently used again with the reissued Sith Training Darth Maul from the end of the TSC line.) They could also do it this time with blasters and other non-lightsaber accessories as well.
- Hasbro still seems to be focusing a lot on Revenge of the Sith. The Target-exclusive Order 66 packs seemed to do alright with casual consumers and hardcore fans, so would Hasbro consider making similar packs based on Attack of the Clones? For example, a clone trooper in each pack with either a Jedi or a Separatist force.
- The new Clone Trooper and Rebel Trooper role-play blasters are pretty cool and seem to be selling fairly well out of the gate. With that in mind, will Hasbro be offering more role-play weapons such as all-new sculpts of Han's blaster, the Stormtrooper blaster (with more accurate size and folded stock under the barrel), Biker Scout pistol, and perhaps even larger ones like the Hoth Rebel rifle and Clone Trooper long rifle?
- What are the requirements that a retailer must go meet to get a Star Wars exclusive, do they have to be a certain size company, make a certain number of Hasbro orders a month, etc.? Is there some sort of process that a retailer has to go through to get an exclusive, do they work with Hasbro on what item to produce or is it out of their hands?
- In the SW Republic #31 Comic 2pack, why does the A'Sharad Hett figure come with the traditional "bandage wrapped" Tusken Raider head coverings rather than the accurate "leather wrapped"-style one that he wore in the comics which made him visually unique? What do you say to A'Sharad Hett fans that are going to be disappointed they're not getting the character as accurately as they hoped?
- A few Battlepacks have featured Jedi, a Clone Commander, and three Clone Troopers. Will we see this concept applied to more sets in the future, perhaps something like Ki-Adi-Mundi, a grittier repaint of Commander Bacara, and three Galactic Marines? What about extending this idea to the other films beyond Ep III?
- Many collectors have noted that Moff Jerjerrod was not a great seller and can still be found in stores, while it seemed as though Admiral Ozzel, Captain Piett, and Grand Moff Tarkin seemed to have sold better. There are times where Hasbro really nails a likeness, but unfortunately Moff Jerjerrod did not look like the actor and had an angry facial expression not seen in Return of the Jedi. Would Hasbro ever consider resculpting this figure or does the perceived poor performance of the Jerjerrod figure make it unlikely he would ever be revisited. Do you agree that if this figure sold poorly it may have been in part because of a poor likeness?
- Would Hasbro consider releasing a complete set of clone troopers with only a basic, plain white deco? Many customizers would enjoy having a blank clone to decorate with their own designs, and regular fans could enjoy the uniform look - the white AT-RT Driver from the Ep 3 Commemorative Tin set looks great and is easy to customize. So how about a box set with all the various clone types without specialized deco or even weathering? It could even be offered in simpler packaging, white mailer boxes with simple baggies.
- The idea of having 2 Battle Droids on a single basic card is a good one, as it lets fans build up armies quickly and cheaply. However, the Saga Legends Battle Droid 2packs feature very distinct-looking droids - the first set has a Commander, and the others all have battle damage - resulting in droids not suited for army-building due to identical markings. Will future versions of this 2pack be released in "clean" versions for more army-building potential? In the same vein, will this set ever be retooled to allow the droids to hold the blaster with both hands as the movies consistently showed them, and a few previous figures emulated?
- Will the Vintage-style Luke X-wing pilot body be used on height-appropriate pilots like Wedge, Jansen, Hobbie from the films, and perhaps even Corran Horn, Tycho Celchu, Nawara Ven, and others from the EU since they're all closer to Luke's height (around an inch or 2 either way) than the tall stature of the Dutch Vander pilot figure that's up above 6 feet?
- In the Galactic Heroes line we have just gotten an AT-AT Commander and Driver figures. Might that increase chances of getting a Galactic Heroes AT-AT?
- With the implications that the Vintage line is on the back burner for the '08 line and the premium figures will be in the Evolutions sets, might Hasbro consider re-releasing some of the original 2004 Vintage figures on different classic Kenner-style cardbacks? For instance, the '78-'79 Star Wars card is a much more iconic cardback for figures like Vader, Chewbacca, the Stormtrooper, R2, and Boba Fett. And since they would be straight repacks, could they be implimented in the basic line without outer shell cases?
- Since the Saga Legends line is geared more towards selling to casual collectors and kids, has there been any consideration about releasing them primarily only around the Christmas build-up time when the demand for toys is at its peak?
- The VOTC Lando looks great, but his cape is neither removable nor does it accurately drape over his shoulders - both of which were seen prominently in the movie. Would it be possible to get that Lando figure retooled so he has a removable cape that drapes all the way over his shoulders?
- With Commander Neyo and his Clone Trooper pal from the Treachery on Saleucami set both making the Saga Legends fan choice poll top 20, if either of these chaps makes it to the winning 5, would you please pack in a second, generic belt with them the way you're doing with the Gray Clone Commander figure in the Saga Legends line? That way, the Neyo-style troopers could be represented by this same figure (remove the pauldron, swap the belt, voila), leading to more sales of the guy.
- Why are nearly all of the Galactic Heroes figures smiling, even bad guys like Tarkin and the AT-AT Commander?
- With the fast selling of the 1-per-case Darktrooper, will this encourage more to be included in later Saga Legends waves to ensure availability as the line continues ships into 2008? And do you view this figure being a success based on its initial offerings selling out in under an hour on HasbroToyShop website?
- Does the Star Wars brand manager or other higher-ups for the line ever personally go down stores' toy aisles to see how product is moving? If so, what do they see of that, and does it ever affect distribution - especially seeing a number of pegwarmers not selling? Does it influence those people in any way?
- In the Art of Revenge of the Sith book, there was a detailed piece of concept art from Aaron McBride of the Mon Calamari Female Dancer. The concept is applied in ROTS as the dancers in the Squid Lake scene (yes, it's really called that). What are the chances of seeing this Mon Cal Dancer design turned into a figure, especially using the striking design from the concept art? And if you were to make her into a figure, would you give her a name?
- Due to the unpopularity of the character, is it unlikely that Hasbro will revisit Jar Jar Binks with a super articulated figure? He is definitely a character that would warrant such articulation due to his onscreen antics (no matter how obnoxious), and we haven't seen a new figure of him in quite a while, he could use an upgrade and the kiddies would probably want him.
- As the pit droids have been rereleased recently, has there been any consideration to a Pod Race battle pack? There's plenty of figures now available: Gasgano, Ody Mandrell, Teemto Pagalies, Dud Bolt, Mars Guo, Anakin Skywalker, Sebulba, Watto, several different DUM Pit Droids, the Otoga 222 Pit Droid, and the spider cleanup droid. And we could use Sebulba's massage chair. Oh, and of course we could always use more new pod race pilots.
- With the Star Wars team splitting their time with Indiana Jones and the Clone Wars CGI cartoon coming next year, how many new sculpts does Hasbro estimate we'll be seeing for Star Wars Original Trilogy figures in the basic carded line?
- While the TAC line has been doing great designs with aliens and armored figures, a lot of fans feel there have been a number of misfires with main characters in this line. Luke Yavin and Tatooine's headsculpts and decos, Mace Windu's head, Vintage Leia Endor's long neck and inaccurate face deco, Lando in smuggler outfit's new head design and its rolled-back-in-his-head eyes, Vintage Luke Bespin's likeness, and everything about Han Torture Rack from the odd head to the mismatched proportions of the body. What is happening here?
- The final results of the Fans' Choice Saga Legends '08 poll were surprising, to say the least - 4 troopers, 3 of which are just former exclusives that are mere EU repaints. The 5 winners don't seem to jive with the fan sites' poll results, which have the Shadow Stormtrooper and Zev playcing highly, but Ephant Mon placing even higher than Zev, and Blue Snaggletooth, the Spacetrooper and Graxol Kelvyyn placing much higher than the Covert Ops Trooper and Utapau Shadow Trooper. Some fans are finding the winning 5 figures a rather underwhelming group and are concerned that the final results may have been skewed somehow, whether by error or by certain fans signing up multiple voting accounts. Granted, this isn't a presidential election, but the odd results like Ephant Mon not making the top 5 despite being the #2 ranked from all the sites asks, can we get a recount on this poll?
- Will each of the 6 films be getting its own wave in 2008? If not, which film won't be getting its own wave?Vote now, and suggest new questions too. Thanks for participating!

El Chuxter
09-21-2007, 04:51 PM

more to come

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-21-2007, 05:14 PM
4, 16, 19, 24, 28, 29

Mr Burns
09-21-2007, 06:33 PM
5 22 24 26 27.......

Droid
09-21-2007, 09:08 PM
I vote for:

17. Many collectors have noted that Moff Jerjerrod was not a great seller and can still be found in stores, while it seemed as though Admiral Ozzel, Captain Piett, and Grand Moff Tarkin seemed to have sold better. There are times where Hasbro really nails a likeness, but unfortunately Moff Jerjerrod did not look like the actor and had an angry facial expression not seen in Return of the Jedi. Would Hasbro ever consider resculpting this figure or does the perceived poor performance of the Jerjerrod figure make it unlikely he would ever be revisited. Do you agree that if this figure sold poorly it may have been in part because of a poor likeness?

24. The VOTC Lando looks great, but his cape is neither removable nor does it accurately drape over his shoulders - both of which were seen prominently in the movie. Would it be possible to get that Lando figure retooled so he has a removable cape that drapes all the way over his shoulders?

Cane_Adiss
09-22-2007, 08:08 AM
My vote so far...

4, 24, 29, and these questions if they are added.

And New Questions:

Due to the unpopularity of the character, is it unlikely that Hasbro will revisit Jar Jar Binks and do a super articulated figure of him? He is definitely a character that would warrant such articulation due to his obnoxious onscreen antics. He could really use an upgrade however, and I'm sure the kiddies would want him!

Has Hasbro ever considered a Pod Race battle pack? Since you just rereleased pit droids in a bunch of flavors, I think this could make sense. Things that could be included: All the released pod pilots (Gasgano, Ody, Teemto, Dud, Mars, Anakin and Sebulba) and include Sebulba's massage chair and some droids (including the Otoga 222s and the cleanup droids). Oh and just a reminder -- We want more pod race pilots!

Whatever happend to doing the Tonnika Sisters? I heard a while back that Hasbro secured the rights to at least one of the actresses likeness and that these were in the works. I think its been over a year since we heard about that. Would the actress you got the rights for happen to be the one that just passed away (Christine Hewett)?

jediguy
09-22-2007, 11:28 AM

Sinscia Fat'o
09-22-2007, 11:47 AM

Droid
09-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Whatever happend to doing the Tonnika Sisters? I heard a while back that Hasbro secured the rights to at least one of the actresses likeness and that these were in the works. I think its been over a year since we heard about that. Would the actress you got the rights for happen to be the one that just passed away (Christine Hewett)?

They're not going to answer that. They just won't comment on the Tonnikas. By the way, Hewitt was the one that wanted a figure made of herself, but I don't think we should basically ask how someone's death affects the possibility of us getting an action figure we want. Strikes me as tacky. :thumbsup:

Sinscia Fat'o
09-22-2007, 04:00 PM
They're not going to answer that. They just won't comment on the Tonnikas. By the way, Hewitt was the one that wanted a figure made of herself, but I don't think we should basically ask how someone's death affects the possibility of us getting an action figure we want. Strikes me as tacky. :thumbsup:

Not to mention we'll see one if not both of them in 08. I got money on it. The figures have been the most requested since POTF2, it just makes sense, i would also go on a limb to say the distilliery part for the bar will be with the Tonniakas.

Devo
09-22-2007, 07:26 PM
quickfire question, I'll elaborate another time:

The new Bespin Han (entire figure) and Smuggler Lando's face....what in gods name happened?

Droid
09-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Not to mention we'll see one if not both of them in 08. I got money on it. The figures have been the most requested since POTF2, it just makes sense, i would also go on a limb to say the distilliery part for the bar will be with the Tonniakas.

I think Yarna has been the most requested since POTF2.

Cane_Adiss
09-23-2007, 09:48 AM

I want to stress that no disrespect toward Christine Hewett was intended by my question. I would think that Hasbro should find the question very relevant considering the fact that they promised to "complete the cantina scene" and that the Tonnika's were two of the more memorable (and requested) characters of that scene. The fact that they announced awhile back about securing the rights to use her likeness shows that they have already commented on the topic. How do you know they won't answer my question? I was simply asking for an update. And while the unfortunate news of her death did remind me of this topic, my asking about whether it was Hewett whose likeness was in question stemmed from mere curiosity and was not intended to be disrespectful or "tacky". My apologies if I offended anyone.

Droid
09-24-2007, 10:52 AM
I want to stress that no disrespect toward Christine Hewett was intended by my question. I would think that Hasbro should find the question very relevant considering the fact that they promised to "complete the cantina scene" and that the Tonnika's were two of the more memorable (and requested) characters of that scene. The fact that they announced awhile back about securing the rights to use her likeness shows that they have already commented on the topic. How do you know they won't answer my question? I was simply asking for an update. And while the unfortunate news of her death did remind me of this topic, my asking about whether it was Hewett whose likeness was in question stemmed from mere curiosity and was not intended to be disrespectful or "tacky". My apologies if I offended anyone.

I really didn't take your question to be disrespectful. I put in the smily face with the thumbs up to try to show I wasn't trying to be harsh or anything. They just have refused to answer any questions about the Tonnikas over and over. I don't think anyone was offended, I was just saying that I don't think we should ask this question because it could come off as tacky given that someone just died. Once again: :thumbsup:

jberlin
09-24-2007, 01:47 PM

evenflow
09-24-2007, 06:58 PM
12. - Hasbro still seems to be focusing a lot on Revenge of the Sith. The Target-exclusive Order 66 packs seemed to do alright with casual consumers and hardcore fans, so would Hasbro consider making similar packs based on Attack of the Clones? For example, a clone trooper in each pack with either a Jedi or a Separatist force.

22. - With the implications that the Vintage line is on the back burner for the '08 line and the premium figures will be in the Evolutions sets, might Hasbro consider re-releasing some of the original 2004 Vintage figures on different classic Kenner-style cardbacks? For instance, the '78-'79 Star Wars card is a much more iconic cardback for figures like Vader, Chewbacca, the Stormtrooper, R2, and Boba Fett. And since they would be straight repacks, could they be implimented in the basic line without outer shell cases?

JediTricks
09-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Questions 30-31 added.

My vote so far...

4, 24, 29, and these questions if they are added.

And New Questions:

Due to the unpopularity of the character, is it unlikely that Hasbro will revisit Jar Jar Binks and do a super articulated figure of him? He is definitely a character that would warrant such articulation due to his obnoxious onscreen antics. He could really use an upgrade however, and I'm sure the kiddies would want him!

Has Hasbro ever considered a Pod Race battle pack? Since you just rereleased pit droids in a bunch of flavors, I think this could make sense. Things that could be included: All the released pod pilots (Gasgano, Ody, Teemto, Dud, Mars, Anakin and Sebulba) and include Sebulba's massage chair and some droids (including the Otoga 222s and the cleanup droids). Oh and just a reminder -- We want more pod race pilots!After adding these, you have 1 vote left.

Whatever happend to doing the Tonnika Sisters? I heard a while back that Hasbro secured the rights to at least one of the actresses likeness and that these were in the works. I think its been over a year since we heard about that. Would the actress you got the rights for happen to be the one that just passed away (Christine Hewett)?They won't discuss the issue unfortunately, they've been steadfast and consistent in their past answers.

The fact that they announced awhile back about securing the rights to use her likeness shows that they have already commented on the topic. I have not found anything from them with that:
SSG: Does Lucasfilm have the rights to the likeness for the Tonnika Sisters (ANH cantina patrons), and if so is there plans to create figures?
A: Thanks for the question, but that's not something we can comment on right now.

Rebelscum.com: Looking back over previous Q&As, there are a couple of figures that were confirmed, but have yet to appear on any rumor list as either basic figures and/or battle packs. Can you tell us whatever happened to Qui-Gon Jinn (first revealed by Yakface), Bothan Spy (first revealed by FFURG), Oola (first hinted at here at Rebelscum), and for the love of Yoda...will we EVER see a Tonnika Sister??
Hasbro: Qui-Gon Jinn and a Bothan will most likely be in the 2008 line, as previously alluded to. However, we have kept 2008 details to a minimum so we have SOME news to talk about as we actually approach that year. ; ) Oola, which was planned for a basic figure repack (not an all-new figure), was replaced in our EpVI wave but has not been forgotten....but she likely won't appear in 2008. We cannot comment on the Tonnika sisters, period.

FFURG.com: When George Lucas had Carrie Fisher and the other stars sign over their likeness for all LFL products, Carrie was quoted as saying that she couldn't look in the mirror without paying George royalties. Yet, when collectors asked about the long-desired Tonnika Sisters, we've gotten the response that there are "complications" with release of the likeness of one or both of the actresses. Does this mean LFL does not own the likeness to every character and actor within the movies? In the case of the TSC Endor Soliders, did Hasbro have to release royalties for John Doe who played "Endor Trooper #15" in ROJ?
Hasbro: We can't/won't comment on these issues.

Rebelscum.com: As a follow-up to several fan/collector questions regarding if and when particular figures will be made and released, are there any figures fans have been asking about that you can confirm will not be made based on current policies? What I mean is, can you say unequivically that the Tonnika sisters simply cannot be made or can you clear the air on these figures and tell us that they can be made but they just don't fit into the line-up at this time? While I specify the Tonnika sisters, I am also curious about any others that fans have asked for that you may know for a fact that (unless there are drastic legal or philosophical changes) the figure won't be made. You mentioned earlier that figures of dead figures/corpses are a hard sell. Does this mean we won't get a dead Owen and Beru Lars two-pack or simply that it would be really difficult to have someone approve these as a toy? If it's the latter, please refer them to George Lucas's own thoughts on this, "YODA: Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them, do not. Miss them, do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is." In short, Lucas wants us to have our corpse figures.
Hasbro: Hah, that's good Dan. However persuasive your argument is, there is a long, long list of living figures that deserve to be made before we get to figures like the Owen and Beru "x-tra crispy" figures. It's possible that some day these could be accessories to another set, but that would be far down the road and in any case wouldn't be the focus of any offering per se. There are no specific figures that are taboo or off limits, really. As for the Tonnika Sisters, I have no comment whatsoever and can give no more information on them except to say that figure(s) are not in development.

quickfire question, I'll elaborate another time:

The new Bespin Han (entire figure) and Smuggler Lando's face....what in gods name happened?I came up with the following expansion on it, LMK if I'm off-base with this or what needs changing:
While the TAC line has been doing great designs with aliens and armored figures, a lot of fans feel there have been a number of misfires with main characters in this line. Luke Yavin and Tatooine's headsculpts and decos, Lando in smuggler outfit's new head design and its rolled-back-in-his-head eyes, and everything about Han Torture Rack from the odd head to the mismatched body. What is happening here?

El Chuxter
09-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Add 30 and 31 for me.

Tycho
09-25-2007, 03:56 AM
2 If Hasbro feels that mid-sized vehicles is the way to go, then will we be seeing more airspeeders and landspeeders in the forseeable future? Some of the airspeeders are pretty much snubfighter sized.

8 Are there folks today at Hasbro who were working on the Star Wars line back when it was reborn in 1995? Was there any clue behind-the-scenes back then that the Star Wars toy line would garner such a huge adult collector following? Were adult collectors considered at all on any level back then when forging the line's beginnings? What do you folks think of the extensive adult collector enthusiasm for the line today, 12 years later?

19 The idea of having 2 Battle Droids on a single basic card is a good one, as it lets fans build up armies quickly and cheaply. However, the Saga Legends Battle Droid 2packs feature very distinct-looking droids - the first set has a Commander, and the others all have battle damage - resulting in droids not suited for army-building due to identical markings. Will future versions of this 2pack be released in "clean" versions for more army-building potential? In the same vein, will this set ever be retooled to allow the droids to hold the blaster with both hands as the movies consistently showed them, and a few previous figures emulated?

20 Will the Vintage-style Luke X-wing pilot body be used on height-appropriate pilots like Wedge, Jansen, Hobbie from the films, and perhaps even Corran Horn, Tycho Celchu, Nawara Ven, and others from the EU since they're all closer to Luke's height (around an inch or 2 either way) than the tall stature of the Dutch Vander pilot figure that's up above 6 feet?

21 In the Galactic Heroes line we have just gotten an AT-AT Commander and Driver figures. Might that increase chances of getting a Galactic Heroes AT-AT?

With regards to Question 15 and A'Sharad Hett's head wraps - he appears as he is depicted in Legacy # 15 actually - post Order 66. That may be intentional. I wanted to ask Hasbro that, but I'm declining to for this round as I think the answer involves some current comic spoiler stuff.

And Christine Hewitt passed away? When? How? I just saw her at C3 in 2005. She seemed to be doing fine. Or was it the other one? From what Christine revealed, that could be a definite possibility.

Cane_Adiss
09-25-2007, 08:45 AM
Put me down for question # 9

Thanks for clarifying the Tonnika situation, I guess I never saw those questions before!

JediTricks
09-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks for clarifying the Tonnika situation, I guess I never saw those questions before!Sure thing, but I'm still curious where you heard otherwise.

Oh, and I'm adding Mace to the potential question:
While the TAC line has been doing great designs with aliens and armored figures, a lot of fans feel there have been a number of misfires with main characters in this line. Luke Yavin and Tatooine's headsculpts and decos, Mace Windu's head, Lando in smuggler outfit's new head design and its rolled-back-in-his-head eyes, and everything about Han Torture Rack from the odd head to the mismatched body. What is happening here?

TheRealDubya
09-25-2007, 05:43 PM
22, 27 & 28

Kidhuman
09-25-2007, 07:26 PM
28, 27, 26, 23, 21

Cane_Adiss
09-26-2007, 09:37 AM
I read it on Galactichunter.com when they were reporting on Celebration 3 a looong time ago. In fact, I think the actual report was taken out of their archives. I think that Christine Hewett was talking about the subject and it created some buzz and rumors that were never confirmed by Hasbro. That's my guess.

My biggest concern right now is getting a Mon Calamari dancer, Cane Adiss and Dice Ibegon!

TheRealDubya
09-26-2007, 10:49 AM
I think your best bet for Tonnika's will be to hire THIS DUDE (http://www.swactionnews.com/photogallaries/Tonnika.html) to hook you up.

Cane Adiss and Dice Ibegon will be great figs, one day.

master J
09-26-2007, 01:46 PM
have cane and dice been confirmed?

I vote for 8, 20, 22, 24

TheRealDubya
09-26-2007, 02:12 PM
have cane and dice been confirmed?

Pretty close to confirmed:

Hasbro's Bi-Monthly Star Wars Q&A_8/19/2007

Galactic Hunter: How plausible would it be to do a figure of a background alien - such as Cane Adiss or Dice Ibegon - that do not have a pre-existing body design? You did an admirable job for Hem Dazon, so has there been any thought to doing these fan favorite characters as well? On Wookieepedia there has been much discussion about the characters' possible alien physiologies so perhaps you could refer to those discussions for design inspiration? (From "Cane_Adiss")

HASBRO: It is very plausible. Not only has it been done for Hem Dazon, as you mention, but also other figures as well that had little definition beyond a mask. Eventually, we'd like to get to all of the Cantina aliens, including Dice, so it's a challenge we will have to face at some point.
Cane is probably a little further down the list, but this Jabba's denizen would certainly be an interesting species to tackle.

JEDIpartner
09-26-2007, 03:58 PM

Droid
09-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Possible new questions:

I think that in 1998 many collectors were surprised to learn that Ishi Tib was at the rebel briefing as most fans probably associate the alien more with Jabba's Palace. Nearly ten years later, is there a chance of seeing a Jabba's Palace version of the alien in the next few years?

With Indiana Jones and the Clone Wars figures coming next year, how many new sculpts does Hasbro estimate for the original Star Wars trilogy in the basic carded figure line?

obi-dad
09-26-2007, 09:43 PM
5, 7, 20, 21 & 22

Devo
09-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Oh, and I'm adding Mace to the potential question:
While the TAC line has been doing great designs with aliens and armored figures, a lot of fans feel there have been a number of misfires with main characters in this line. Luke Yavin and Tatooine's headsculpts and decos, Mace Windu's head, Lando in smuggler outfit's new head design and its rolled-back-in-his-head eyes, and everything about Han Torture Rack from the odd head to the mismatched body. What is happening here?

Thanks for making it easy for me. Yeah I think it was a good idea to mention that they've done well with aliens and armored characters - because its true and we don't want to be so very negative. Perhaps be more specific (as if it isn't obvious enough) about what is wrong with the upcoming Bespin Han and the issues with the other figures because they may well say they don't see the problems. Satan Calrissian, the ongoing adventures of Ms.Anorexia Solo, The GhostmanSkywalker, Giantface Skywalker and 'inferior to headsculpts made in 1998 Mace Windu'. Heck Lando is even worse - the headsculpt from 1995 is better than the new one.

And whatever about other figures a balljoint neck on a bald character is a very bad idea.

edit: What I think is part of the problem on some figures is they keep trying and failing to capture particular facial expressions, facial ticks or whatever to try and put across the personality of the main characters. Luke for some reason is always sculpted with his mouth open - unfortunately this invariably looks goofy - like he has buck teeth. It only worked alright on one figure to date - the early bird Luke - but Hasbro evidently didn't recognise this so they keep trying again rather than sticking with the best example.

Now Lando has been given what was presumably supposed to be his smug/confident grin but, in combination with the upturned stare, winds up looking rather satanic. The POTJ headsculpt will not be bettered so I just wish Hasbro would recognise a good thing when they already have it. Why does it seem that only poor figures and figure parts get reused/rereleased?

Leia frequently looks like a porcelain doll these days as Hasbro again fail to recognise the best of their past work and keep trying new sculpts - the 25th anniversary Swing to freedom and POTJ bespin escape headsculpts remain superior for Leia.

Aside from the sad fact of his pea-head TAC Mace was given a severe facial expression which took away any Sam Jackson resemblance. Although I have to say the screaming Mace of 2002 actually did look like him, unfortunately it wasn't appropriate for any scene of the film it was based on and the rest of the figure sucked. But the new Mace looks more like someone struggling on the toilet - and the less said about the ball-joint neck the better....actually no - the more said about the balljoint neck the better. Its horrific. Without hair there was no way whatsoever of disguising the inate awkward appearance of these joints. Even on characters with hair it doesn't come off well - exhibit VTSC X-wing Luke.

Why does the new Bespin Han have windswept hair? Would that not be more appropriate for a skiff version of the character? If they wanted to be scene-specific his hair should have hung down. The cut joint across his chest looks absurd. And really, could Hasbro not see with their own eyes how ridiculous the new torso looks with the VOTC's tiny waist and anorexic legs??? Stop reusing crap parts from previous figures!!!! Reuse good parts!!!! Makes more sense.

Finally, although not a main character, we have Moff Jerrjerrod. Honestly I believe Hasbro didn't have the likeness rights to this actor - its the only way I can envision this figure turning out as bad as it did. And again we have Hasbro attempting 'personality' with inappropriate and ridiculous results - and there wasn't even any film-based justification for this one.

JediTricks
09-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Questions 32-33 added.

I read it on Galactichunter.com when they were reporting on Celebration 3 a looong time ago. In fact, I think the actual report was taken out of their archives. I think that Christine Hewett was talking about the subject and it created some buzz and rumors that were never confirmed by Hasbro. That's my guess.Oh, that far back, yeah, Christine Hewett had been talking about it, but unfortunately it never went anywhere.

I think that in 1998 many collectors were surprised to learn that Ishi Tib was at the rebel briefing as most fans probably associate the alien more with Jabba's Palace. Nearly ten years later, is there a chance of seeing a Jabba's Palace version of the alien in the next few years?That one is a little too specific for right now. Try it again in the next few rounds, it'll depend on how Hasbro's answering current specific questions we have out as well as how many are left on the list.

With Indiana Jones and the Clone Wars figures coming next year, how many new sculpts does Hasbro estimate for the original Star Wars trilogy in the basic carded figure line?Added. You have 3 votes left now.

Perhaps be more specific (as if it isn't obvious enough) about what is wrong with the upcoming Bespin Han It's not "upcoming", it's out and it's horrible. I got mine in the mail a few days ago, awful figure in so many ways. I thought saying "odd head and mismatched body" was specific enough, but LMK how you'd make it better. Maybe "body with mismatched proportions".

I'll add the question with those tweaks right now, you have 5 votes remaining.

and the issues with the other figures because they may well say they don't see the problems.Well, too specific and they'll focus on those specific issues instead of the greater problems, and it'll load the question down as well, but I'll consider it.

Satan Calrissian, the ongoing adventures of Ms.Anorexia Solo, The GhostmanSkywalker, Giantface Skywalker and 'inferior to headsculpts made in 1998 Mace Windu'. Heck Lando is even worse - the headsculpt from 1995 is better than the new one.Unfortunately, none of those are really something I can objectively use. :p

And whatever about other figures a balljoint neck on a bald character is a very bad idea.I'm not going back into the ball-jointed-head discussion again, they gave us the run-around last time and said they'd work on it, I don't want to waste this question on a repeat answer of that 1 issue.

edit: What I think is part of the problem on some figures is they keep trying and failing to capture particular facial expressions, facial ticks or whatever to try and put across the personality of the main characters. Luke for some reason is always sculpted with his mouth open - unfortunately this invariably looks goofy - like he has buck teeth. It only worked alright on one figure to date - the early bird Luke - but Hasbro evidently didn't recognise this so they keep trying again rather than sticking with the best example.Early Bird Luke has a totally-closed mouth.

Now Lando has been given what was presumably supposed to be his smug/confident grin but, in combination with the upturned stare, winds up looking rather satanic. The POTJ headsculpt will not be bettered so I just wish Hasbro would recognise a good thing when they already have it. Why does it seem that only poor figures and figure parts get reused/rereleased?

Leia frequently looks like a porcelain doll these days as Hasbro again fail to recognise the best of their past work and keep trying new sculpts - the 25th anniversary Swing to freedom and POTJ bespin escape headsculpts remain superior for Leia.

Aside from the sad fact of his pea-head TAC Mace was given a severe facial expression which took away any Sam Jackson resemblance. Although I have to say the screaming Mace of 2002 actually did look like him, unfortunately it wasn't appropriate for any scene of the film it was based on and the rest of the figure sucked. But the new Mace looks more like someone struggling on the toilet - and the less said about the ball-joint neck the better....actually no - the more said about the balljoint neck the better. Its horrific. Without hair there was no way whatsoever of disguising the inate awkward appearance of these joints. Even on characters with hair it doesn't come off well - exhibit VTSC X-wing Luke.

Why does the new Bespin Han have windswept hair? Would that not be more appropriate for a skiff version of the character? If they wanted to be scene-specific his hair should have hung down. The cut joint across his chest looks absurd. And really, could Hasbro not see with their own eyes how ridiculous the new torso looks with the VOTC's tiny waist and anorexic legs??? Stop reusing crap parts from previous figures!!!! Reuse good parts!!!! Makes more sense.

Finally, although not a main character, we have Moff Jerrjerrod. Honestly I believe Hasbro didn't have the likeness rights to this actor - its the only way I can envision this figure turning out as bad as it did. And again we have Hasbro attempting 'personality' with inappropriate and ridiculous results - and there wasn't even any film-based justification for this one.That's a lot of material to cram into the question, no way I can boil it all down.

Jerjerrod they have to have likeness rights to the actor or else they wouldn't have made the figure - even if they sculpt it totally inaccurately, the actor could still sue based on the idea behind the figure supposedly looking like him (which is why we don't have Tonnika sisters figures, it seems).

Droid
09-27-2007, 09:38 PM
I'll vote for 33 - why do the sculpts of the human figures stink?

Devo
09-28-2007, 05:08 PM
My other votes: 17, 20, 23, 30, 32

Having read question 33 as you have it you're probably right having it that concise. Although I wasn't seriously suggesting you include that entire rant.

Perhaps point to some of the superior headsculpts of the past such as the ones I mentioned - POTJ Lando and Leia figures, early bird Luke (mine has slightly visible painted teeth actually) to demonstrate that they don't need to constantly resculpt heads and take the chance of them not turning out right when previous sculpts exist that even the most nitpicky didn't find fault with at the time or now (correct me if I'm wrong??).

This might still be too long for you but heres my suggestion:

- While the TAC line has been doing great designs with aliens and armored figures, a lot of fans feel there have been a number of misfires with main characters in this line. Luke Yavin and Tatooine's headsculpts and decos, Mace Windu's head, Vintage Leia Endor's long neck and doll-like face deco, Lando in smuggler outfit's new head design and its rolled-back-in-his-head eyes, Vintage Luke Bespin's likeness, and everything about Han Torture Rack from the odd head to the mismatched proportions of the body. What is happening when certain headsculpts of the past are widely considered to be superior to so-called 'updates'? - some character likenesses and facial paintdecos, in a few collector opinions, peaked long ago and have not since been bettered (perhaps cannot be bettered in this scale) - figures such as the Episode I Mace Windu from 1999(!), Power of the Jedi Bespin Lando and ANH 25th anniversary Swing to Freedom Leia soon after. These are old figure parts many would gladly see reused if the alternative is a poorer resculpt.

El Chuxter
09-28-2007, 10:29 PM
New question. I know it'll sound like a joke, but I'm serious.

There have been a lot of non-film color schemes for Clonetroopers over the past few years. And it looks like the trend will continue. While some people love any Clonetrooper, other folks are tired of the non-film Clonetroopers. Have you considered releasing the plain white Clonetrooper with different colors of paint so that fans can create their own Clonetroopers, while those collectors who are not fans don't have to wade through two or three variants at any given time? You could even add templates to your website, and maybe hold contests for the best original Clonetroopers.

Rogue II
09-29-2007, 03:39 PM
I saw some people blame RS for all the clones winning the Fan's choice poll, so I went over to their forums and looked at their Fan's Choice Poll thread. Other than Zev and Neyo, they were complaining about the results, too. Therefore, I'd like to add this question:

Can we demand a re-count in the Fan's Choice poll?

El Chuxter
09-29-2007, 09:53 PM
I think they wanted it to look fair, and stuck one actual figure (Zev) in the mix to cover up the fact that they will never, ever, ever release Ephant Mon again, no matter how much people beg to get the frigging Fan's Choice figure that was so impossible to find.

Battle Droid
09-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Question,

Will there be a Wave of figures for all six Star Wars films in 2008, if not which film(s) won't have a Wave?

El Chuxter
09-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Related to Rogue II's question (and I "talked" to him, and he's serious):

Ever since Ellors Madakk swept in from the rear during the final week of voting in the first Fan's Choice Poll a few years ago (and was shown as a prototype in what seems like far too short a time to actually develop and get approvals on a figure that wasn't already in production), some fans have claimed that the polls are inaccurate. With the results for the 2008 Legends figures, it seems like a majority of collectors are upset that three very similar non-film clones won over, say, Ephant Mon. As it is, the results aren't visible to the people who voted, and Hasbro has no one to answer to but itself, so there isn't much reassurance to the people crying foul. If Hasbro intends to hold further Fan's Choice polls, would you consider enlisting a neutral third party to verify the results, if only to legitimize the procedure to everyone who is questioning the accuracy?

Just forget that "some fans" includes me, and "claimed" isn't quite accurate, since I think it's a given. I'm trying to be as diplomatic as possible, but I'd love an answer. Or at least for the question to be raised.

Gothiczartan
09-30-2007, 09:14 PM
my votes are

AmanaMatt
10-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Questions:

24, 26 (that made me laugh - great question), and 33 (very important question)

JediTricks
10-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Questions 34-35 added.

Having read question 33 as you have it you're probably right having it that concise. Although I wasn't seriously suggesting you include that entire rant.

Perhaps point to some of the superior headsculpts of the past such as the ones I mentioned - POTJ Lando and Leia figures, early bird Luke (mine has slightly visible painted teeth actually) to demonstrate that they don't need to constantly resculpt heads and take the chance of them not turning out right when previous sculpts exist that even the most nitpicky didn't find fault with at the time or now (correct me if I'm wrong??).

This might still be too long for you but heres my suggestion:

- While the TAC line has been doing great designs with aliens and armored figures, a lot of fans feel there have been a number of misfires with main characters in this line. Luke Yavin and Tatooine's headsculpts and decos, Mace Windu's head, Vintage Leia Endor's long neck and doll-like face deco, Lando in smuggler outfit's new head design and its rolled-back-in-his-head eyes, Vintage Luke Bespin's likeness, and everything about Han Torture Rack from the odd head to the mismatched proportions of the body. What is happening when certain headsculpts of the past are widely considered to be superior to so-called 'updates'? - some character likenesses and facial paintdecos, in a few collector opinions, peaked long ago and have not since been bettered (perhaps cannot be bettered in this scale) - figures such as the Episode I Mace Windu from 1999(!), Power of the Jedi Bespin Lando and ANH 25th anniversary Swing to Freedom Leia soon after. These are old figure parts many would gladly see reused if the alternative is a poorer resculpt.I can't say something like "widely considered to be superior" because I don't believe it's true, most collectors I talk to wouldn't make those claims. POTJ Lando is good but a very soft sculpt, Ep 1 Mace Windu is a dated version of the guy that's recognizable but cartoony, I doubt 99.9% of collectors even remember that POTJ 25th Anniversary Leia's head. So if it goes to your question "what is happening when certain headsculpts of the past are widely considered to be superior to so-called 'updates'?" Hasbro will be able to sidestep it by saying something like "We are always trying to deliver the most accurate likeness possible. As you have probably noticed, it's a challenge in the 3-34" medium to really nail likenesses, so we get as close as we can. There will always be variation between sculptors and changes that occur in the production process." (An answer we got recently on a related issue.)

New question. I know it'll sound like a joke, but I'm serious.

There have been a lot of non-film color schemes for Clonetroopers over the past few years. And it looks like the trend will continue. While some people love any Clonetrooper, other folks are tired of the non-film Clonetroopers. Have you considered releasing the plain white Clonetrooper with different colors of paint so that fans can create their own Clonetroopers, while those collectors who are not fans don't have to wade through two or three variants at any given time? You could even add templates to your website, and maybe hold contests for the best original Clonetroopers.They've shot down the idea of that kind of in-package customizing in the past, and I can't imagine them reacting well to the idea of paints in the packaging (the paints they use in the factory are something we couldn't apply at home). I did like the website idea though, that was the hook that caught my attention, kinda like Master Replica's recent Vader helmet art project. Is the included paint necessary to the concept? I'm not shooting it down wholesale if so, but I am unsure of it.

I saw some people blame RS for all the clones winning the Fan's choice poll, so I went over to their forums and looked at their Fan's Choice Poll thread. Other than Zev and Neyo, they were complaining about the results, too. Therefore, I'd like to add this question:

Can we demand a re-count in the Fan's Choice poll?I can't wait to see their response to this. I worked it over a little, crunched the numbers and Zev and the Shadow Stormie do place highly in the fan sites' results, and Neyo is an x-factor since he appeared late on most polls (technically, he should be out from the results I've seen since only RS has him placing) but the Covert Ops and Utapau trooper both placed pretty low, the Utapau one placing so low I can't even figure out how he made Hasbro's top 20.
Rogue II, you have 5 votes remaining.

Question,

Will there be a Wave of figures for all six Star Wars films in 2008, if not which film(s) won't have a Wave?Ok, you have 5 votes remaining.

Related to Rogue II's question (and I "talked" to him, and he's serious):

Ever since Ellors Madakk swept in from the rear during the final week of voting in the first Fan's Choice Poll a few years ago (and was shown as a prototype in what seems like far too short a time to actually develop and get approvals on a figure that wasn't already in production), some fans have claimed that the polls are inaccurate. With the results for the 2008 Legends figures, it seems like a majority of collectors are upset that three very similar non-film clones won over, say, Ephant Mon. As it is, the results aren't visible to the people who voted, and Hasbro has no one to answer to but itself, so there isn't much reassurance to the people crying foul. If Hasbro intends to hold further Fan's Choice polls, would you consider enlisting a neutral third party to verify the results, if only to legitimize the procedure to everyone who is questioning the accuracy?

Just forget that "some fans" includes me, and "claimed" isn't quite accurate, since I think it's a given. I'm trying to be as diplomatic as possible, but I'd love an answer. Or at least for the question to be raised.The problem is, who is an independent, trustworthy party? How do we assure they don't just receive votes from a specific portion of the fandom the way the ToyFare Fan Choice poll went down? I definitely agree with the sentiment, and I'll either include it with Rogue II's question or create its own once you respond, but I'd like to round this issue out so they don't simply blast us with the same questions I just did.

El Chuxter
10-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Therein lies the problem. There are plenty of companies who do pretty much nothing but that, but is Hasbro going to be willing to pay them for this service?

I'll give this one some more thought.

BTW, IIRC, Hasbro confirmed the Spacetrooper was coming in some capacity next year (resculpt?), which is why he wasn't eligible for the final round of voting.

mericen
10-03-2007, 08:55 PM
18,29,30,34, and 35 are my choices

Droid
10-03-2007, 10:36 PM
I'll use my last votes for 34 and 35.

Kidhuman
10-04-2007, 09:11 PM
LAst vote to this question:

With the Clonew Wars figures, will you be going back to the original series to make figures for characters who didnt get figures like Dooku, Banking Clan members, Sidious....etc.

JediTricks
10-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Therein lies the problem. There are plenty of companies who do pretty much nothing but that, but is Hasbro going to be willing to pay them for this service?

I'll give this one some more thought.Ok, get back to me when you do. I'm thinking about it as well, if I come up with anything I'll either post in the next round or PM you.

BTW, IIRC, Hasbro confirmed the Spacetrooper was coming in some capacity next year (resculpt?), which is why he wasn't eligible for the final round of voting.Yeah, I forgot about that. Question has been modified. Still, the results from the first round are quite clear - of course, this too may be a skew, but I don't believe the voters on Hasbro.com are going to be THAT different from the fan site voters.

LAst vote to this question:

With the Clonew Wars figures, will you be going back to the original series to make figures for characters who didnt get figures like Dooku, Banking Clan members, Sidious....etc.I don't understand this question. Are you asking about animated-styling? Because they're not going back to that style. And if you're asking about figures on CW cards, I don't see the point, we have all those guys in the regular line.

My votes:
10 price drops
13 role play
24 lando cape
32 time manage
33 tac heads
34 results

JediTricks
10-05-2007, 03:26 PM
And with that, this round is over. Thanks again to everybody who participated!

Here's the questions we're asking from this round:

Will the Vintage-style Luke X-wing pilot body be used on height-appropriate pilots like Wedge, Jansen, Hobbie from the films, and perhaps even Corran Horn, Tycho Celchu, Nawara Ven, and others from the EU since they're all closer to Luke's height (around an inch or 2 either way) than the tall stature of the Dutch Vander pilot figure that's up above 6 feet?
The final results of the Fans' Choice Saga Legends '08 poll were surprising, to say the least - 4 troopers, 3 of which are just former exclusives that are mere EU repaints. The 5 winners don't seem to jive with the fan sites' poll results, which have the Shadow Stormtrooper and Zev playcing highly, but Ephant Mon placing even higher than Zev, and Blue Snaggletooth and Graxol Kelvyyn placing much higher than the Covert Ops Trooper and Utapau Shadow Trooper. Some fans are finding the winning 5 figures a rather underwhelming group and are concerned that the final results may have been skewed somehow, whether by error or by certain fans signing up multiple voting accounts. Granted, this isn't a presidential election, but the odd results like Ephant Mon not making the top 5 despite being the #2 ranked from all the sites asks, can we get a recount on this poll?
Does the Star Wars brand manager or other higher-ups for the line ever personally go down stores' toy aisles to see how product is moving? If so, what do they see of that, and does it ever affect distribution - especially seeing a number of pegwarmers not selling? Does it influence those people in any way?
The VOTC Lando looks great, but his cape is neither removable nor does it accurately drape over his shoulders - both of which were seen prominently in the movie. Would it be possible to get that Lando figure retooled so he has a removable cape that drapes all the way over his shoulders?
With the implications that the Vintage line is on the back burner for the '08 line and the premium figures will be in the Evolutions sets, might Hasbro consider re-releasing some of the original 2004 Vintage figures on different classic Kenner-style cardbacks? For instance, the '78-'79 Star Wars card is a much more iconic cardback for figures like Vader, Chewbacca, the Stormtrooper, R2, and Boba Fett. And since they would be straight repacks, could they be implemented in the basic line without outer shell cases?
With the fast selling of the 1-per-case Darktrooper, will this encourage more to be included in later Saga Legends waves to ensure availability as the line continues ships into 2008? And do you view this figure being a success based on its initial offerings selling out in under an hour on HasbroToyShop website?
Look for a new round soon.