PDA

View Full Version : Do you enjoy the HUNT or the KILL?

stillakid
09-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Many collectors here have said that they actually ENJOY the process of looking for figures, even though it frequently winds up in disappointment when the pegs are full of warmers or are just empty. I suppose the satisfaction in that circumstance comes when they FINALLY find something after so many many many attempts.

Other collectors HATE the "hunt" and find their satisfaction in actually having the items in hand. For them, it doesn't matter how they get them, be it retail or internet...collecting is about having the thing.

So, do YOU enjoy the HUNT or the KILL? What is it about collecting that you find most satisfying?

JEDIpartner
09-24-2007, 02:29 PM
I used to enjoy the hunt until the hunt became too costly and the items were too hard to find. I guess I still enjoy the hunt on larger items like vehicles or sets. Those are still rather easy to find. It's the figures that are so scarce anymore. I hate that, if I chose to drive to 10 stores in a day, I'm still likely to find pegs of Mace, Airborne Troopers and Galactic Marines mixed with loads of wave two and three figures. It's annoying and wastes too much gas.

Kidhuman
09-24-2007, 02:38 PM
The hunt is fun, when product is moving at stores. All 3 major retail chains here(WM, Target, Kmart) hardly ever get new stuff. WM is so clogged with waves 1-2 they neevr got 3. They have last years legends still around, so they never got this years.

I guess I like the kill. I love finding new stuff, no matter where it is and when I see it, I want it. When I have it in my hand its even better.

LTBasker
09-24-2007, 02:42 PM
I enjoy the hunt when I know there will actually be something out there to find. So, I haven't really enjoyed hunting very much lately.

I know new SW figures I'll only find if I'm very lucky and/or the McQuarrie ones if I'm -extremely- lucky, I've pretty much given up looking for DC Superheroes since I can't get to TRU or Target (too far) and Titaniums show up once in a blue moon.

Everything else I collect is only available online due to not having specialty or comic stores around here. So really, it's more like: what hunt?

bigbarada
09-24-2007, 02:43 PM
I guess you could say that I enjoy the hunt, until it starts to feel too much like a hunt. When I'm going to the store just to looks for Star Wars figures, then it's really annoying and frustrating to find nothing. So I really prefer the "fortunate happenstance" of collecting. In other words, I'm at Wal-Mart buying Drano, toothpaste and spark plugs and I happen upon a bunch of new figures that were just put on the pegs (I never go to Wal-Mart without making a pass through the toy aisle). So, being surprised by a bunch of new figures is what makes it fun for me.

Unless I have a really good reason to believe that something new is out, I try to never go to Wal-Mart unless I really need something non-Star Wars related. There are no Targets or TRU's within 100 miles of me, so those stores are impossible for me to visit on a regular basis.

I enjoy the "kill" portion of collecting also, but have been disappointed a lot recently by the quality of new figures once you get them out of the packaging. So, sometimes, I actually dread opening up a new figure because Hasbro's quality control has been suffering a lot recently.

Ji'dai
09-24-2007, 03:34 PM
I don't enjoy the hunt as much as I used to do. I've never really had problems finding stuff; it usually turns up eventually, so I've learned to be patient. I used to love going on road trips and searching out new stores to find older out-of-production stuff, like LEGO. I found I enjoyed just driving down the highway and listening to music almost as much as I did actually hunting for toys. But higher gas prices have pretty much killed that.

What excites me about the hunt these days is the anticipation of finding something new. So I'm in it solely for the kill now.

jedi master sal
09-24-2007, 04:03 PM
heh, good thread.

Do I even really need to answer this question?

I think it's known now that I go for the kill.

I tired this year of going to stores and coming back empty handed. Gas and scarcity have killed the hunt for me.

It's much easier to order cases online, have them shipped to you. No gas wasted so that makes up for the shipping cost. No time lost as it's just a few simple clicks and an order is placed instead of countless hours of toy hunting to no avail. And the frustration level is WAY down. Providing you find a good online dealer, ordering online really is the way to go if you plan on getting a whole wave of figs. Of the 4 cases I've ordered (waves 3-6), I've only had 4 unwanted figs and they have or will be traded, so I've not lost anything in buying online.

Plus it really feels good to get something delivered to you, even if you did the ordering yourself.

Now I just go on the occasional hunt. Maybe twice a week, down from 4-5 times a week. And at that I'm not looking for much as I've either got the wave or have it on order.

Also, since I've got a nice little network of friends and fellow collectors, here on SSG and locally, it makes it MUCH easier to get the figs I want, mostly army builders. The little extra in shipping I pay for those is again offset by the savings on gas.

So I like to "kill" it, bag it and tag it. (Put the figs in plastic baggies to be put in storage-bagging it, then entering the item's info into my database-tagging it).

It's made this year's collecting immensely easier. So far the only things that have been a little hard to get were the McLukes and at present some of the UGH. But even then in time and with help from my buds, even that becomes a conquest that is attainable.

Many thanks to all of you who have helped me over the years in finding figs for me. Without your help I have no doubts my collection wouldn't be where it is today.

-Sal

Tycho
09-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Stillakid's question about thrills of the hunt or the kill intrigued me. My relationships vs. SW Collecting advise is in another thread now, after a mod created this new one.

The Hunt:

- I've made new friends in the collecting isles. I have long term friends (12 years plus) from the collecting isles now. That's cool.

- It gets me excited to get up and out of bed in the morning. Not much does.

- The anticipation and the rush from finding something is pretty cool - as is the fact that I'm doing something for completely selfish and irresponsible reasons. I had to get household supplies at Wal-Mart today. I try to make it a once-a-month thing if I can, minus grocery shopping which I usually don't do there but have to do every week or even more. I HAVE to buy soap and kitty litter. But as I headed for the toys section today, it occured to me that I enjoyed it so much because I didn't HAVE to do it. I WANTED to. It was like treating myself for doing the other "work."

- It's also exciting to first see new product I've only had the chance to check out in photos before.

THE THRILL OF THE KILL

- I love putting new figures in my dioramas when I had those set up. I wish a lot of them still were. How would Hermi Odle look added to my Jabba's Palace set-up? I will enjoy it when I have the chance to find out the answer to that question.

- I really do sniff my new figures. They're never going to smell so fresh again, and it is really my best opportunity to get Chinese Lead Paint Posioning (CLPP). Older figures really don't work for that unless I suppose you lick them. Thus far, I haven't really been satisfied with eating any of my SW characters, so I've chosen to just sniff them and then display them. However, without my dioramas currently set up, I do not open most of my new acquisitions as of post August 2005. :cry: - Just the ones I'm really curious about or had so anticipated (Elis Helrot, Hermi Odle, the EU comic 2-packs from Dark Horse).

So to conclude: for me it's both the hunt and the homecoming.

figrin bran
09-25-2007, 02:15 AM
While I want to answer with "the kill", I just got wave 5 in the mail the other day and am enjoying all the figures, there's a small void that I feel because I didn't actually find them myself at the stores. I guess there is a part of me that enjoys the hunt, after all.

There are quite a lot of us SSG'ers here in L.A. as evidenced by how many pages/views our finds thread has reached and it gets to be a situation where you read that so and so just found something and so you start feeling like the same items will show up at your local stores really soon, like within a day or two.

JetsAndHeels
09-25-2007, 09:49 AM
I agree with LTBasker...I enjoy the hunt when I actually know there may be something out there to hunt. Lately that has not been the case.

When I go visit my friend who lives in Myrtle Beach, that is always a good hunt. The stores down there always have something...and there are alot of places to hit when making our rounds through that area. That is fun, because no matter where we go (Target, WM, The mall, etc) I see something that isn't ever available here at home. I take advantage of that.

I also agree with FB about not feeling the "satisfaction" of the kill when I didn't actually find it myself. I had to get that same guy who lives in Myrtle Beach to get me the new TMNT Shredder figure...they are absolutely NOWHERE to be found around here. I checked every store in the area (including Raleigh/Durham) and never saw it. I eventually just gave up and called him. He had me one the following week.

JMG also was very helpful to me when it came to the DC Superheroes Darkseid figure (the first one). So now I not only have to get friends from other areas here in NC to get me stuff, but I have to get people from other states to help out too. Shows you how bad distribution is in my area.

Blue2th
09-25-2007, 12:43 PM
I like the hunt. It gets me my daily excersise. It is in my (some would say evolutionary) nature to do so. I'm a hunter-gatherer. There is more satisfaction in working for your reward than just having it fall in your lap as it were.
Getting things online in itself is a form of hunting. Though not as physical it takes alot of cerebral smarts and luck to be at the right website at the right time. Case in point: Hasbro.com's recent overnight sale of wave 4 and 5, that I'm sure alot here missed.

These days I am doing more online hunting, but at least when I go out to the stores, I use a little gas-mizer junker car to do so and leave the nice one that doesn't get as good MPG at home. So I am able to hunt without too much impact on my wallet.

mtriv73
09-25-2007, 12:56 PM
I agree with JP, KH, and LT. The hunt was fun when it was actually a hunt. If their are no deer in the forrest then it's hiking with a rifle, not hunting, and that's the way I feel this year has been.

JON9000
09-25-2007, 01:01 PM
A random pattern of reinforcement (reward) leads to the behavior patterns most reflecting addiction and impervious to extinction.

Hunting for figures is essentially like pulling the lever on a slot machine.

That's the reason consistency is the key to raising kids. If you give in only some of the time, it is far worse than giving in all the time.

Going on a hunt is a waste of time and resources to me. I only have a look if I am already there for some necessity. That's why I don't gamble, either!

JediTricks
09-25-2007, 05:21 PM
I don't care for the hunt, I like having the things and enjoying them. Right now, I'm super ****ing annoyed with HasbroToyShop, putting new figures online at 4 in the morning guaranteeing me no chance of getting McQ Vader & Starkiller Hero and a number of others. Hasbro's made it such a miserable chore to find these figures in ANY venue that I'm beginning to question my continuation in the hobby at any level - great job, a**holes. But hey, if I need 10,000 Saga Legends pieces of ****, I can always pi** away my $7 plus tax anywhere in town on garbage everybody already has - of course the hot figures in that wave will be ****ing gone too though.

"The hunt" here in LA is especially horrendous, we have more people and WAY more scalpers than other areas but the stores seem to not like having our money as they short-ship everything. You guys who like the hunt and not the kill - hunt down this **** and send it to me, I'll kill it for ya.

****ing Hasbro. And it's not even just crass greed taking advantage of SW collectors, that's GG's job (the LEGO SW statues, the first 100 of which had bonus variants), Hasbro's just completely inept at getting product into consumers' ****ing hands.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-25-2007, 06:39 PM
I agree that this year has been frustrating, but it's not like this wasn't the first year this happened (except maybe the super-long lull between waves 3 and 4).

I enjoy both the hunt and the kill. It's fun to go see what's coming in, even if sometimes there's nothing you want to buy. It's always great to walk into the aisle and see new figures.

I'm mad that EE hasn't stocked wave 5 yet, which I ordered several weeks ago so I wouldn't have to worry about looking for them and not finding the McQuarrie figures. I saw Anakin in a WM yesterday but passed since I'm still waiting for them to ship, though the first three waves shipped before they came out in stores. The McQuarrie figures remind me - they need to stop making chase figures, whether they are UGH or McQuarrie or whatever. Everything should be easy to find for anyone who wants it. It seems odd when a $7 piece of plastic becomes a rare commodity.

Anyway, as far as EE - and I guess this goes for everywhere else - they need to work on stocking issues. I've already bought at least nine AOTC clones in stores, partly because I want more, but partly because I'm tired of seeing them on the shelves.

jedi master sal
09-25-2007, 11:03 PM
...There is more satisfaction in working for your reward than just having it fall in your lap as it were....

Hey! I put a lot of work into clicking and typing up my orders on the net...lol heh heh.

Luuuuuuke
09-25-2007, 11:06 PM
I don't like the hunt too much. I hate driving from one place to another, but I kind of like the anticipation of the little walk to the toy aisle. But 90% of the time there's dissapointment. But when I find something, it makes it all worth it. Or so it feels. In reality it's not cause I'm wasting a lot of gas.

BountyHunterScum
09-26-2007, 02:20 AM
I Love The Kill!

Slicker
09-26-2007, 02:45 AM
When I was buying figures myself I really enjoyed the hunt but when I finally made a kill it made the hunt that much sweeter. I rarely went out hunting unless I need something else so I rarely came home empty handed.

Now that I'm forced to have others shop for or buy online it has taken the fun out of it.

Jargo
09-26-2007, 07:36 AM
with the length of time these star wars toys hang around on the primary and secondary markets there really isn't that much of a hunt online. I gave up visiting stores years ago. these days i just wait out the year and pick up the cream of the crop relating to the areas i collect. it's really simple and easy. I guess that means neither hunter or killer.

it's different when i first start collecting a new line of toys though. then I'm very much a ravenous hunter killer. I go into a collecting frenzy and seek out as much as i can find because i'm always late starting a collection. after that i settle into my normal blase pattern.

Blue2th
09-26-2007, 08:33 AM
Hey! I put a lot of work into clicking and typing up my orders on the net...lol heh heh.

Yes I did say that also Sal. :yes:

Hey, BTW, no one mentioned "Scavenging" That's picking at the bones or what's left of a frenzied pack of hunter-killers. lol

Tycho
09-26-2007, 11:01 AM
I just don't go out to the stores if I'm not reading about anything out there that I want being found.

It's 8:45am right now and I don't have to be anywhere until a doctor's appointment I have at 2:30pm. I am very slowly having a breakfast (that is to say I had a yogurt and in a little while, I might have cereal or get a warm butter croissant at the coffee shop).

I've had no contact with anyone else (save for typing this for whomever reads it) and things are peaceful, if isolated. By going to Target, things might have been remotely social (with the usual Hot Wheels guys, and a SW collector or two) - but I can call them on the phone if there's anything to discuss. I'd suspect they'd ring me if anything hit our stores anyway.

So there doesn't feel like there's ANY incentive to waste the time and especially the gas (even though it's a 5 minute drive or a 20 minute walk for me to my Target). I have things at home to do and my novel to work on. I'd just as soon not lose chances to do these other things just to go out and be disappointed.

I want to find:

5 CZ-4s for diorama filling
? Leia Starkiller figures for potential diorama filling (I have to see the figure)
1 Roron Corabb
1 C-3PO / Salacious
? Pre-Cyborg Grievous for potential diorama filling (I have to see the figure)

1 2008 Camaro BumbleBee Deluxe (so I can have 2 loose)
1 traditional colors Barricade Deluxe (so I can have 1 loose)

And all the above will probably ship in larger quantities closer to October and especially November. It's not much to worry about finding - so I might not go to the stores except when I need other household stuff - until October and so on.

Unlike Jargo, I do not collect new toy lines and I am proud of myself every time I avoid something I might have otherwise looked at picking up (Pirates of the Caribbean, GI Joe, Transformers Classics) I am running out of space and also don't want a toy collection, but rather a Star Wars display and that's primarily it (with small spatterings of Transformers and Star Trek (well, my Trek collection isn't exactly small, but it's still infantismal next to the Star Wars I've amassed, and I only have 22 Transformers).

Altogether:

1) Almost totally quitting will be a relief in terms of worry over how much space I have for this stuff
2) Quitting will also be a nice time-saver in terms of "the hunt"
3) I will keep and cherrish all that I've amassed. I specifically bought what I knew / know I'd want
4) I'll probably still spend a lot on supplies for dioramas (and the real estate I'll need to display them)
5) If SideShow does playsets or dioramas, I may have a new focus for my particular take on the hobby.

JimJamBonds
09-26-2007, 10:17 PM
And here I thought it was an actual thread about hunting.

stillakid
09-26-2007, 10:26 PM
And here I thought it was an actual thread about hunting.

Hunting is for cruel sick bastards who enjoy the thought of watching Bambi cry because he lost the only mother he ever had. :upset:

Tycho
09-26-2007, 10:47 PM
I thought it was about changing your name to Mohammed and picking out random people in random cars on the freeways.

Dude: don't tell me that is STILL illegal?

JimJamBonds
10-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Hunting is for cruel sick bastards who enjoy the thought of watching Bambi cry because he lost the only mother he ever had. :upset:

I've never had that thought.

2-1B
10-01-2007, 11:35 PM
JimJam is a cruel sick bastard but not for any reason stated here.

stillakid
10-01-2007, 11:40 PM
I've never had that thought.

Call me Jimminy Cricket.:yes:

Qui-Long Gone
10-02-2007, 09:48 AM
I enjoyed the hunting more when I lived in southwest Ohio...that area has EVERYTHING....

Here the kill is better because it's like hunting a rare endangered species...except it's not illegal....

JimJamBonds
10-03-2007, 08:45 AM
JimJam is a cruel sick bastard but not for any reason stated here.

Thank you Sir.

Tycho
10-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Hey: I'm a cruel, sick bastard, too!

OK, maybe I'm also insane. But you guys posting here can't hold that against me.

BountyHunterScum
10-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Toy hunting is a pain in the a--, so for me the score is the best feeling. Leaving empty handed sucks. All the good sh-t is online anyway so I pretty much have cut back on buying stuff in stores. Primarily because I can't compete with this ******** who seem to have stores staked out then again I get lucky alot even in the stores. I'm not stupid enough to say what I got where I got it or what time of the day I got it. Some pricks will try to hone in on that and attempt to impede my collecting, some people are just ******** like that.

Tycho
10-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Wow, James! You discovered a word the Auto-Censor wasn't programmed for. Or maybe it's turned off for some reason?

God-******, son-of-a-******* *****.

No. I guess it isn't. But it was fun trying :D

Qui-Long Gone
10-04-2007, 10:32 PM
James, what are your REAL feelings about the hunt? :grin:

Ji'dai
10-08-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm still in it for the kill, but the hunt can be gratifying too. This past week, it felt great to pull into Wal-Mart full of anticipation of finding waves 5 or 6. As I stalked up the aisles, ever closer to my quarry, I could tell from fairly far away that those familiar SW pegs were freshly stocked and ripe for the plucking. It's a rush to not only find an entire wave but enough extras to compare paint jobs or buy doubles.

El Chuxter
10-08-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm in it for the kill. The hunt is fine, but in my game (which is the most dangerous one), they have a tendency to fight back. Once you get the head mounted on the wall, though, they can't. And you have no idea what a library wall covered in severed human heads can do as far as a conversation starter goes.

And, yes, it's true: people always poop themselves when they die. Just make sure you're not positioned underneath or behind them when you deliver that killing blow.

BountyHunterScum
10-10-2007, 02:52 AM
Wow, James! You discovered a word the Auto-Censor wasn't programmed for. Or maybe it's turned off for some reason?

God-******, son-of-a-******* *****.

No. I guess it isn't. But it was fun trying :D

Which word? Whatever it is is censored now.

BountyHunterScum
10-10-2007, 03:01 AM
James, what are your REAL feelings about the hunt? :grin:

I hate the hunt unless the results are extremely good. I've been toy "hunting" since I was a kid and I know now why alot of the times I couldn't find sh-t. I pretty much had no choice but to befriend a toy store employee, alot of the time I don't have to do dog**** except be nice out of the blue without any ulterior motives. some employees are cool, my friend who works at TRU I've known him for a few years and he has let me know whats come in. Recently he hasn't but he's probably very busy alot of these toy company pricks keep employees so busy they can't do anything else. It's a two way street so help the friend out some which I have. These days you can pretty much find to rare bull**** online and sometimes the seller won't try to rip you off. Vigilance = victory. Btw Ultimate Bumbleterd is not going to be the hot item TRU says it will be, they do that sh-t so the customer will be midled into thinking that will be their absolute last chance on earth to get it before the sky falls. I've seen a total of 10 in the last two weeks alone. 4 at one TRU and 6 at the other.

Blue2th
10-10-2007, 11:00 AM
I went out hunting the other night. Went to one Walmart and saw unopened boxes of wave 4, 5, and 6, all at the bottom of a cellophane wrapped pallet. I asked if any of those would be put on the pegs. The stocker said probably not, as the pegs were still full of figures.
These were'nt "Legends" figures, they were all last years Saga 2!!!
Now that makes hunting a drag.

Luuuuuuke
10-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Hunting is almost totally a drag. And it's a big waste of money with gas prices.

BountyHunterScum
10-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Misled not midled. Grrrrrr What a bunch of bull**** though and definitely a waste of time and gas.

TeeEye7
10-11-2007, 06:50 AM
Ya can't have one without the other, so, I like 'em both! :yes:

Kidhuman
10-11-2007, 06:51 AM
You can have the kill without the hunt, people hook you up and stuff.

TeeEye7
10-11-2007, 07:15 AM
You can have the kill without the hunt, people hook you up and stuff.

Au contraire, someone had to do the hunting on your behalf, so ya still can't have one without the other.....from a certain point of view! ;)

Tycho
10-12-2007, 03:55 AM
Actually, the hunt gets me out in the stores, out of the house, period.

I meet and comisserate with other collectors even when we don't find anything. I've made 6 or more very long-time friends that way, as well as had the interest foster the formation of my online friendships - which have now led me to have met some of you in person.

I would say I really enjoy that aspect of it.

If I just went to the store, found everything easily, and left with it - and no one cared - I might not feel as enthusiastic about doing this all these years.