PDA

View Full Version : Sooo... what's up with these Halo games?

bigbarada
09-25-2007, 01:01 AM
I'm watching this thing on SpikeTV about tonight's release of Halo 3 and they're making it out to be this huge cultural phenomenon. Something I've apparently completely missed the bus on. I've never played any of these, but always thought they just looked like every other first person shooter on the market. Nothing special.

So, is it the story? The gameplay? The multiplayer options? Why are these games so "great"?

El Chuxter
09-25-2007, 01:21 AM
I'm in the same boat as you are. Maybe it's because we don't have XBoxes?

Star Wars Lego is so much cooler than this could possibly be.

bigbarada
09-25-2007, 01:48 AM
Well, they have the game on PC and Mac. I remember Halo tournaments in our Macintosh labs at my college. At the time, I thought Doom 3 looked more interesting (yes, they have that for the Mac as well).

All I really see from Halo is just a bunch of guys in motorcycle helmets running around shooting aliens. Nothing original by any stretch of the imagination. So, unless it just has some amazing multiplayer features, I don't see what the big deal is.

figrin bran
09-25-2007, 02:58 AM
I have an xbox and yet have never played any of the Halo games and I can't imagine it being anywhere near SW Lego or even Battlefront!

Maybe the online play is what people enjoy about it?

plasticfetish
09-25-2007, 03:33 AM
Uhhh... well... this is the third one. There were two other games that were very popular, and this is the third one.

OH! There's this you can read also...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_(video_game_series)

Lord Malakite
09-25-2007, 03:45 AM
Most of its hype comes from its online/multiplayer features. Halo's sci-fi story and gameplay isn't anything too revolutionary from your typical FPS (First Person Shooter). I'd say the trilogy of games rates better than most of your typical first person shooters, but aside from the online multiplayer stuff it falls short of achieving anything new in the genre to rank in the Doom, Goldeneye, Metroid Prime category of long-time favorite FPS games.

plasticfetish
09-25-2007, 04:14 AM
And there's the enormous amount of push it's gotten from Microsoft to make it what it is.

We've been playing Halo 2 around my house for a while, but don't do any on-line gaming at all (yet.) Fun enough game though, but yeah, I would say that it has never impressed me as being anything other than a good solid shooter. I never look at it and think, "Wow! That was amazing."

Been playing "Lost Planet" a bit lately... and even that I'd say has been more memorable.

JetsAndHeels
09-25-2007, 10:29 AM
The online feature is what makes these games so much fun. I didn't think it was a big deal either, until I started playing Halo 2 online with a friend of mine over at his place (he has the system and an hd tv) and had a total blast. Like with any good game you can spend hours on it and not even realize how long you have been playing.

Madden is still the game for me though. :)

Rocketboy
09-25-2007, 03:30 PM
I played the original Halo once. I thought it was extremely average.

Kidhuman
09-25-2007, 03:52 PM
Meh, nothing special. Give me Unreal anyday over Halo

Rocketboy
09-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Screw that. Give me some Goldeneye.

jjreason
09-25-2007, 04:38 PM
I think Halo is a bit more family friendly than Unreal or Doom (I've only played the first 2 games for about 1hr total, don't remember there being any blood) - but retains every ounce of the speed and slickness. I typically get nauseated from FPS games, but Halo never bothered me. They also did an awesome job of creating a cool looking, yet (as far as I know) age/race inspecific main character which I think contributes quite a bit to the franchise.

General_Grievous
09-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Am I really the only Halo fan here? I love everything about it, from the story to the multiplayer to the ultimate badass, the Master Chief. I picked up Halo 3 and so far it's an awesome game. And I saw a blurb on CNN that it sold $155 million worth of copies. Very impressive.

And Chux, sorry to disappoint, but as cool as Lego Star Wars is, it will never be as cool as the Halo series.

Lord Malakite
09-26-2007, 02:36 AM
Am I really the only Halo fan here? I love everything about it, from the story to the multiplayer to the ultimate badass, the Master Chief. I picked up Halo 3 and so far it's an awesome game.
I never said I disliked Halo (back in college I killed off about 6 to 8 hours of a weekend playing through the original's story and messing around with multiplayer on a friend's copy). I think its a decent enough FPS franchise, just not as "spectacular" and "revolutionary" as Bungie and Microsoft have hyped it up to be.

Slicker
09-26-2007, 02:41 AM
I think the "Gaylo" series is by far the most overrated series of games ever. The game play is nothing special, the game itself can be beat in several hours and the online play is full of cheaters and 10 year old kids that cry when they get killed. I'd rather play a real first person shooter on death mode with REAL friends.

And of course by real first person shooter I mean Goldeneye 64

General_Grievous
09-26-2007, 11:28 AM
I have a hard time comparing it with Goldeneye because I love that game so much that I'm sort of biased towards it. The only thing I can say is that Halo's better graphically, and it's got cooler weapons and vehicles.

Rocketboy
09-26-2007, 11:44 AM
But Halo doesn't have Oddjob.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-26-2007, 10:32 PM
I got Halo last year for my birthday as it was on sale and I figured, what the hell. I've only played it a few times, and only with a friend. I just can't get into it.

Republic Commandos seems like a SW-flavored knockoff of it, but that game freakin' rules.

El Chuxter
09-26-2007, 10:43 PM
It certainly looks like it's no Medal of Honor.

2-1B
09-26-2007, 11:49 PM
I like it because of the soft drink.

preacher
10-02-2007, 07:17 PM
HALO is a run-of-the-mill shooter. The controls are the best aspect of the game. The story-line is ho-hum. Basically a retelling of Alien with some kind of intergalactic feud between humans and aliens. Why a movie is planned is beyond me.

I think the programmers were quite lazy when it came to level design. There are several levels that are retreads of previous levels. I do enjoy playing cooperative story mode with my wife. Its one of the few games that she actually enjoys.

HALO 2 is superior to the original in every way. The level design are much more complex, there are several new enemy types and the vistas are way more interesting.

If I had a desire to own the XBOX360 I would play HALO 3. But until Microsoft fixes the red circle of death, and their cooling issues I'm content with my wii. And yes I am aware that Microsoft has increased their warranty. For me thats not enough.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Year ago before Bungie was acquired by Microsoft and was still more of a Mac first software company, I kept reading about all the hype for Halo. Myth had been a great series for Bungie, and Halo was to be something better I guess. Then they went a totally different direction and it ended up as the game that launched the X-Box. I finally got the game about the time Halo 2 came out. It started off really great, but then the levels became the same thing over and over. It didn't have online play (not that I've done much online playing with the X-Box anyway) and I don't have people to play against in person, so I didn't get to enjoy the multiplayer function either. I heard that the Halo 2 story had some issues at the end. The online play sounds good though. The reviews for Halo 3 sound like it is even better in the online play. However, I don't have a 360 and this isn't enough to make me buy one. There were a bunch of other games that G4 reported on at E3 that sounded more appealing.