PDA

View Full Version : Wave 6 Quick review

Kidhuman
09-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Just got them in sans the McSnowSnow guy.

Lando - Not as bad as pics made him out to be. Good articulation. Paint job is ok. Got one with decent eyes looking straight ahead instead of up. This figure doesnt need much as he is only seen in the Falcon in the movies anyways. Overall B-

Han in Torture Rack. The Torture Rack is good. Han is not. The pics turned out to be true. A pile of dung is the figure. The only reason it gets a decent grade is because of the rack C+

4-LOM - Not a necessary resculpt, but a nice one. Great articulation. Good paint job. Very nice probably the best of the wave. My only fault is one leg is slightly shorter than the other and wont stand with out leaning or a stand. A-

General McQuarrie - This could have been the best, but he has NO, NONE, 0, GOOSE EGG, NADA leg articulation. A very nice sculpt, good to have more Hoth troopers. Removable Hat(ala Han Hoth VTAC). If he had leg articulation, very easily an A, but he gets a B+

JediTricks
09-27-2007, 08:25 PM
IMO, the torture rack isn't accurate enough - the straps are set up wrong and there aren't enough implements - so it doesn't help this set enough. Han is such a bad kettle of fish though it's horrible, I'd give it a D+ at best.

I think 4-LOM was a necessary resculpt, I would have liked to see a tighter sculpt on the figure but otherwise it's pretty good.

I didn't get the others.

figrin bran
09-27-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm glad to hear about KH's A- grade for 4-LOM as that's the one figure I really want from this wave. It's been nearly 10 years since the POTF2 sculpt and so he definitely needed to be repacked onto a single card but since it has been so long, Hasbro might as well resculpt him as the older version just doesn't cut it alongside the likes of VTSC IG-88, Bossk, Saga Dengar and your choice of VOTC Fett or 300th Fett.

plasticfetish
09-29-2007, 01:31 AM
Picked up McSnowtrooper and torture rack Han today. Haven't opened them yet. As a whole, I wasn't really amazed by this wave. Not sure why yet.

I picked up Han for the sheer oddity factor. (Seriously, how many torture themed toys do we get?) The McQuarrie Snowtrooper is cool, just like all of the concept figures, but it really seems that they didn't put as much effort in to this one. Isn't as cool as the illustration on the card... looks much different also.

I passed on the others for now. Lando looks good, but I honestly never cared about the smugglers outfit thing. General McQuarrie's cool also, but nothing super special. (I'm betting that he'll be easy enough to find as time goes by.) 4-Lom does look great, but I didn't really need a new one... be just an impulse buy at this point if I got him, so maybe later.

Qui-Long Gone
09-29-2007, 12:35 PM
A nice rack can make up for a lot of bad things....:whip:

JT, how do you know so much about torture racks? :(

4-Lom looks good, but can't find 'em....:cry:

JEDIpartner
10-02-2007, 11:51 AM
I actually prefer the POTF2 4-LOM over this one. I don't know why. This one seems really cheap and flimsy. Is it just mine or does everyone have a problem with General McQuarrie's head popping off when you turn it? I got a few Luke and Han stormtroopers from the comic packs for about $.99-$1.99 a piece in the last couple weeks to make new Luke and Han troopers via head swaps. I'm gonna take one of the Han's and do a head swap on the torture rack one.

bigbarada
10-03-2007, 09:59 AM
I saw this wave yesterday along with waves 4 & 5 and waves 2 & 3 of Saga Legends. After months of drought, now we're getting multiple waves at once.

Anyways, I only picked up 4-LOM and he is an awesome figure..... except that when I was trying to twist his rifle hand to hold his rifle, it twisted right off! Now I have to get some SuperGlue or just buy a new 4-LOM.:mad:

Blue2th
10-03-2007, 11:23 AM
It's nice to get a new 4-Lom. The old POTF2 one's head is almost twice the size. The paint on the old one is kinda wierd with rust accents.
I really like this new one. I didn't notice one leg being longer than the other, as his feet are articulated as well as his knees. So mine stands ok. I don't know why we need a super-articulated 4-Lom, but I'm very happy with this one. For the most part, this is how all figures need to be re-done.

His rifle is alot sharper sculpt than the old one also.

JEDIpartner
10-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Let's edit your statement...

I only picked up 4-LOM and he is an awesome figure. I was trying to twist his rifle hand to hold his rifle, it twisted right off!

Not really so awesome anymore, is it? ;)

figrin bran
10-03-2007, 10:34 PM
My 4-LOM's wrists are fine but the same thing that happened to BigB happened to my CZ-4 with the wrist breaking off.

Maybe I was spoiled by VTSC Bossk and IG-88 but I think 4-LOM's sculpt could've been done with even more details.

El Chuxter
10-03-2007, 10:47 PM
My Snake Eyes broke at the wrist, and I've not been able to find a replacement due to the crappy distribution. (Honestly, I saw about two cases worth one day, back in June or July. Since then, I've seen one lone Flint!)

This seems to be a problem. Perhaps a Q&A question is in order?

figrin bran
10-03-2007, 11:11 PM
My Snake Eyes broke at the wrist, and I've not been able to find a replacement due to the crappy distribution. (Honestly, I saw about two cases worth one day, back in June or July. Since then, I've seen one lone Flint!)

This seems to be a problem. Perhaps a Q&A question is in order?

Chux, I think Snake Eyes is also in wave 2, not that it's any help whatsoever! Distribution for the Joes has been abyssmal! I've only seen 2 cases worth as well and that was back in August.

JEDIpartner
10-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Maybe I was spoiled by VTSC Bossk and IG-88 but I think 4-LOM's sculpt could've been done with even more details.

I agree. It looks a little spare.

Ji'dai
10-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I thought Smuggler Lando and General McQuarrie were pretty basic. Nice scene fillers for a diorama, but otherwise nothing to get terribly excited about.

I agree with the assessment that the new 4-LOM is an unnecessary resculpt. The POTF2 version still holds up very well. The breakage issues on the new version is really dreadful - I mean WTF, did Hasbro outsource manufacturing to McFarlane on this one? Plus the gimp leg is pretty obvious even without opening the figure. I could tell one leg was shorter than the other in the two figs I've seen on the pegs.

Han with Torture Rack is another scene filler. Too bad Hasbro didn't make this one into a Deluxe. His hips are also unpainted on mine, much like the first versions of Endor 3PO. I may wait to open this one and watch for a corrected repaint.

The Snowtrooper is my stand-out pick for this wave. I really like this figure and will probably get more if I can find them. I haven't had the urge to army build in several years, but this fig has changed that.

bigbarada
10-05-2007, 01:13 PM
I still believe that 4-LOM was necessary if for no other reason than to get rid of that POTF2-style stance. He doesn't really measure up in detail to this year's Bossk or IG-88, in fact he doesn't even match the detail level of 2004's Dengar figure, but he looks fine to me standing behind the other bounty hunters (even with a glued on right hand:upset: ).

Now we just need a Zuckuss, the POTF2 version is so out of date that I won't insult my other figures by placing him in their presence.lol

plasticfetish
10-05-2007, 04:42 PM
My 4-LOM's wrists are fine but the same thing that happened to BigB happened to my CZ-4 with the wrist breaking off.That's funny, because I had to buy a second CZ-4 after my first one lost its right hand. Seems to be a common thing with these droid figures.

Blue2th
10-05-2007, 05:04 PM
I still believe that 4-LOM was necessary if for no other reason than to get rid of that POTF2-style stance. He doesn't really measure up in detail to this year's Bossk or IG-88, in fact he doesn't even match the detail level of 2004's Dengar figure, but he looks fine to me standing behind the other bounty hunters (even with a glued on right hand:upset: ).

Now we just need a Zuckuss, the POTF2 version is so out of date that I won't insult my other figures by placing him in their presence.lol
Agreed, his lines are actually pretty sharp if you look closely. The paint is just kind of dull metal colors that you don't see it at first.

jedi master sal
10-05-2007, 05:50 PM
That's funny, because I had to buy a second CZ-4 after my first one lost its right hand. Seems to be a common thing with these droid figures.

What the hell are these droids doing with their hands that they break off at the wrist?

plasticfetish
10-05-2007, 06:56 PM
What the...Simply turning the hand at the wrist was enough to break it off. Seems the paint that's glued it stuck, is stronger than the plastic peg that holds it in place.

Had much better luck with the second one, once I knew to expect that problem. Suppose I should have probably known better in the first place.

(edit.) Oh, and while I'm thinking about it... after having opened and played around with the McSnowtrooper figure, I've gotta admit that I like it much more than I thought I would. Still think it could have used a bit more of a distressed and slightly dirty paint job, but all in all, it's a fun figure.

Engineernerd
10-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Can't....find....new...figures....vision blurry....losing consiousness....

(REALLY jealous of you all)

JediTricks
10-05-2007, 11:39 PM
JT, how do you know so much about torture racks? :(I looked at the movie, saw it, then looked at the toy. Magic!

Anyways, I only picked up 4-LOM and he is an awesome figure..... except that when I was trying to twist his rifle hand to hold his rifle, it twisted right off! Now I have to get some SuperGlue or just buy a new 4-LOM.:mad:Contact Hasbro, do it immediately, they'll get you an envelope to send it back and replace it. The longer you wait though, the more likely it is they'll run out and send you something else instead - but this close to the figure's release, and it's still in rotation, they'll likely have a replacement for ya.

On 4-LOM, I didn't notice the leg length difference at first, but now it's unavoidable, it's a significant difference! Probably a millimeter or 2. Also, I'm a little annoyed that he can't bring his arms in very close. And like Figgy B, I really think 4-LOM could have been done with better and more detailing.

jedibear
10-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Wasn't there a group of figures during the first saga line that had this weird short-leg syndrome? None of 'em with stay up right without a stand...

Blue2th
10-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Can't....find....new...figures....vision blurry....losing consiousness....

Must...have....infusion....of....fresh....plastic. ...

El Chuxter
10-07-2007, 02:29 AM
Found most of the wave (minus the Snowtrooper, predictably) at the Beaumont, CA, Wal-Mart yesterday. Han actually does look pretty nice, if you don't take him out of the rack.

jedibear
10-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I managed to snag this wave last week as well (minus the McSnow of course)...

I haven't had the pleasure of finding wave five yet so...here's my comments on these four...

Han/Torture Rack....not that bad...I agree w/ El Chuxter...the figure isn't that bad and I have no plans to remove it from the rack...it's such a "scene-specific" take on him it looks fine in the rack and the whole thing adds to my ESB display...

Lando/Smuggler...also alright, I mean what else can they really do with him? The last saga version of the General and the Skiff Guard Disguise Hasbro put out a while back aren't really needing re-do's yet so why not put out a version of him in the one outfit he's actually in during a scene? Too bad he'll probably pegwarm like every other version of him ever has...

General McQuarrie...I like this figure...yeah it's a re-do of Reikeen with a new head, but I like having this one with the concept figures from him...kinda cool.

4-LOM....not to stir anything up, but I was expecting the worst from this figure after some of the views I read here. I actually like this re-do a lot. Guess I lucked out because I have no issues with the legs/feet. I think the sculpt and paint apps are better than any previous version and I really like it that his rifle is made form a harder grade plastic rather than that flimsy rubber we've seen the rifles and other long accessories made from lately. 4-LOM is actually my favorite from this group...

I'm still hoping to find wave 5 someday soon...i want to be knocked for a loop by something in this collection again!

Mvader91
10-13-2007, 10:01 PM
In case anyone was just wondering, I really think that the Han in toture is a great likeness. let's face it the man is be electrocuted!

Ji'dai
10-13-2007, 10:16 PM
I think Han would've looked better sculpted with an open-mouthed expression, like he's pictured on the cardback.

bigbarada
10-15-2007, 02:51 AM
I'm going to get another 4-LOM as soon as I find one, but I want to avoid another "hand snapping off" incident. So I"m wondering if there is anything I can do to sort of loosen things up in there. Maybe dip him in some hot water? Cold water? Any suggestions?

Even with the hand broken off, he's still the best figure in this wave.

figrin bran
10-15-2007, 03:30 AM
I'm going to get another 4-LOM as soon as I find one, but I want to avoid another "hand snapping off" incident. So I"m wondering if there is anything I can do to sort of loosen things up in there. Maybe dip him in some hot water? Cold water? Any suggestions?

Even with the hand broken off, he's still the best figure in this wave.

I think dipping the figures in hot water might help.

Blue2th
10-15-2007, 07:47 AM
You shouldn't have any problem finding him again. Though he's not flying off the pegs, he's not warming them either.

Still the best of this wave.
Maybe you could use the parts of the old one for a Jawa junkplie, or a Bespin one.

JediTricks
10-15-2007, 04:38 PM
General McQuarrie...I like this figure...yeah it's a re-do of Reikeen with a new head, but I like having this one with the concept figures from him...kinda cool.It's a redo of Major Derlin, actually.

Mvader91
10-15-2007, 05:12 PM
The most noticeable problem is the visor. I think it sits too low on his face and head.

JediTricks
10-16-2007, 10:10 PM
It's also too wide around his head. These are, not surprisingly, the same problems the Han figure had as well

jedibear
10-16-2007, 11:02 PM
It's a redo of Major Derlin, actually.

I stand corrected, sir. :)

jedibear
11-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Finally found a lone McSnowtrooper at my local TRU today...wow!
No wonder this one disappears so quick...aside from it being a part of the McQuarrie collection, it's a great looking figure.

That's the thing about the holiday shopping season...stuff gets put out all times of the day now, not just overnight...lucky for me with my late work schedule...that's how I landed this figure and most of wave five (finally)!

plasticfetish
11-08-2007, 08:06 PM
aside from it being a part of the McQuarrie collection, it's a great looking figure.As time's gone on, this one has moved from being the McQuarrie figure that I was least excited about, to one that I love the most. It's just so... "Sci-Fi" looking. Can't think of any other way to explain it...

Glad to hear that you found one. :)

DarthBrandon
11-15-2007, 08:09 PM
I really like all the figures from this wave except McQ (Not the Snowtrooper). The Torture rack Han was a very nice addition to my collection & I don't care that the rack is not all that accurate. The figure itself is not bad, I mean really; it's just for one particular scene. I suggest if you all want to improve on it, swap out the head & holster from the VOTC Han. It really changes the look of the figure 10 fold. I can now arm & disarm Han for the torture scene if I choose, works for me.:)

JediTricks
11-16-2007, 02:54 PM
The figure is that bad, I can't imagine anybody defending it, the upper body isn't even to scale with the lower torso.

There's no way to swap the holster from VOTC Han because that piece is held in through a tab running into the waist articulation and TAC Han here has no waist to pull apart and put that on.

bigbarada
11-16-2007, 03:54 PM
The figure is that bad, I can't imagine anybody defending it, the upper body isn't even to scale with the lower torso.

There's no way to swap the holster from VOTC Han because that piece is held in through a tab running into the waist articulation and TAC Han here has no waist to pull apart and put that on.

Han and Lando are BOTH that bad. I still haven't been able to convince myself to buy either one. For me, 4-LOM was the only worthwhile figure from this entire wave.

I think we are officially out of exciting, all-new ESB figures for Hasbro to make.

El Chuxter
11-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Meaning... BRING ON WILROW HOOD!

JediTricks
11-18-2007, 04:34 AM
Han and Lando are BOTH that bad. I still haven't been able to convince myself to buy either one. Lando was bad enough that I didn't buy him at all. Wave 4 was a pretty flat wave really.

I think we are officially out of exciting, all-new ESB figures for Hasbro to make.Well, there's retread territory, but in terms of new guys, yeah, it's over. Luke medical robe with mechanohand and Leia Hoth are really the only ones left, and that's not exactly terribly exciting. I could go for improvements to Lando (mostly about the cape), Han Bespin (ground-up rebuild), Luke Bespin (a head that looks like Luke), Zuckuss, ESB Fett (not a major entry on my list, but still worth exploring, it's apparently a little more than just a repaint), Han Carbonite, modernized Ugnaughts, modernized busted-up 3PO, modernized mechanic Chewie, modernized Leia Bespin escape, maybe even an update to Luke Hoth.

DarthBrandon
11-18-2007, 01:12 PM

Actually, the upper body without the holster makes it seem out of place. The upper body & lower half look just fine IMHO with the holster in place. I used a nail file to remove mine & I did remove the pin piece that snaps into the back of the figure. (no biggie as it slides over the hanging shirt piece to sit nice & snug on the waist area) The VOTC & TAC Han legs are both the same scale, it's the jacket that may make it seem out of place. I swapped out the head & holster from the VOTC & it looks fine to me. See attached pic

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-18-2007, 01:36 PM
That custom is a good start, but it still looks out-of-scale (small head, giant torso, skinny legs).

DarthBrandon
11-18-2007, 01:46 PM
That custom is a good start, but it still looks out-of-scale (small head, giant torso, skinny legs).

I figure it's a lot better than when I opened it, & it's about as good as it gets.

JediTricks
11-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Actually, the upper body without the holster makes it seem out of place. The upper body & lower half look just fine IMHO with the holster in place. I used a nail file to remove mine & I did remove the pin piece that snaps into the back of the figure. (no biggie as it slides over the hanging shirt piece to sit nice & snug on the waist area) The VOTC & TAC Han legs are both the same scale, it's the jacket that may make it seem out of place. I swapped out the head & holster from the VOTC & it looks fine to me. See attached picIt's not just the jacket that's out of place, the torso design makes the shoulders start further out to the sides, that makes for a wider figure. With the shoulders as wide as they are, the head has to be bigger to stay in scale, and the lower body - especially the hips - have to be significantly wider, nearly twice as wide as they are now. And none of that addresses the mid-torso articulation looking really bad.

So, you cut the tab away from VOTC Han and then with the remaining peg attached it to the back of TAC Han? Or was there more involved?

I figure it's a lot better than when I opened it, & it's about as good as it gets.To me, it looks just as unacceptable. I don't really like the VOTC Han head much and the holster's always been too big there, all floaty, so that problem remains as well as the others John mentioned. It's a good try though, but only Hasbro can rectify this mess, anything else on this body is just trying to polish a turd.

Also, that's the wrong blaster, that's Han's ANH blaster (the scope is different). I don't think the ESB blaster will fit in the ANH holster but I could be mistaken on that, it could be backwards (ie, ANH blaster won't fit in ESB holster).

DarthBrandon
11-18-2007, 06:51 PM
It's not just the jacket that's out of place, the torso design makes the shoulders start further out to the sides, that makes for a wider figure. With the shoulders as wide as they are, the head has to be bigger to stay in scale, and the lower body - especially the hips - have to be significantly wider, nearly twice as wide as they are now. And none of that addresses the mid-torso articulation looking really bad.

So, you cut the tab away from VOTC Han and then with the remaining peg attached it to the back of TAC Han? Or was there more involved?

To me, it looks just as unacceptable. I don't really like the VOTC Han head much and the holster's always been too big there, all floaty, so that problem remains as well as the others John mentioned. It's a good try though, but only Hasbro can rectify this mess, anything else on this body is just trying to polish a turd.

Also, that's the wrong blaster, that's Han's ANH blaster (the scope is different). I don't think the ESB blaster will fit in the ANH holster but I could be mistaken on that, it could be backwards (ie, ANH blaster won't fit in ESB holster).

Nothing more involved than pyring the back of the holster out of the hole. The part that sticks on the back of the figure is still in there, all I did was slide it up over his waist. It is still removable & the blaster is from the VOTC Han Endor figure as well as the holster. I'm not too picky with the way this one looks, I find it a lot better now then when I opened him. I'm happy & that's all that counts. I hope Hasbro makes one you like, so you guys can be happy too.:thumbsup: