PDA

View Full Version : SSG's Bi-Weekly Hasbro Q&A - September 28th

JediTricks
09-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Summer's close brings Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for September 28, 2007. Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them.

Hasbro Q&A for the week of September 28th

Q: Several fan sites in this Q&A series have asked about problems with Greatest Hits/Saga Legends figures and nagging TSC pegwarmer figures, and Hasbro's answers always have the same theme - "the problems are not systemic, it must be your area that's an anomaly". The thing is, these sites and their readers are from all over the country and they're consistently reporting the same issues independently of each other which suggests these aren't be random, isolated events. This has grown especially frustrating with the current waves of the Saga Legends line as it seems to be shipping very heavily and covering many a store's TAC pegs while the main TAC line wave 4 remains sparse and rife for scalper attention. What makes Hasbro so confident about there being no wide-scale problems with lingering TSC pegwarmers or stores not coping with the 2-SKU/2-pegs system for the current basic lines (TAC and SL), and that none of this is creating an intensely-frustrating problem for new figures getting into consumers' hands?
A: We do not have access to individual store level inventories to know what figures are where and in what quantity - that level of information simply doesn't exist. That's why we report that on a national level - the greater whole - waves are shipping as planned, and the replenishment process by which stores are "resupplied" is something we watch on a weekly basis. To be clear on how it works - stores will be resupplied based on what has sold down, not based on what is sitting on what pegs, which is invisible to the automated ordering systems. So if Saga Legends is selling in those stores, it will be reordered. If 30th Anniv. is selling, it will be reordered. To finish that discussion - the stock of one has no impact on the other. However, it doesn't work like clockwork all the time, and the number of older figures of a subline could impact which waves are shipped so it could be possible for a store to miss a wave depending on how much stock and how fast it's selling and what wave is available to ship next. We would ask that if colelctors have noticed problems in certain stores, they please send the Store # of the WM store with the issue (via the same process you use to submit questions) and we will have our retail teams look into it and see if there is a way to "unclog" a local store if its within our merchandising teams coverage area.

- -

Q: What does Hasbro think about using the New Jedi Order (Yuuzhan Vong) series of novels as source material for more figures? Especially now with NJO Luke coming in an Evolutions set next year, might this open the door to getting other NJO characters like Yuuzhan Vong or Fan Choice poll top 25 characters like Jacen, Jaina, Anakin and Nom Anor?
A: We like the idea a lot, and don't rule out that in the next couple years we could weave some of these figures into the line. We can't give you exact details, but we are optimistic. Fans should know that we realize how important these characters have been and we can't wait to see them materialize as well.

- -

Q: Over the past few years, Hasbro's become adept at using mostly existing bodies to create acceptable figures, both in the main line and arguably more successfully in the Battle Packs and multipack lines - the upcoming Entertainment Earth Mandalorian multipacks are the most recent and standout examples of this. With that in mind, might Hasbro consider creating a Rogue Squadron multipack of Rebel pilots utilizing mostly already-existing molds with new heads and new comic- or movie-accurate decos on their helmets? The characters would be taken from characters that already exist in the comics and books. How about alien pilots - such as Gand, Mon Calamari, and Quarren - and female pilots?
A: We're glad you like the Rebel pilots - we do too, and are trying to find ways to get some more of these largely unsung heroes out there like we are with Tycho this Fall. We think you will be very pleased with some interesting figures next year...that's all we can say right now!

- -

And the questions at ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=1384):

With the TAC Luke Jedi hitting shelves recently, the question turns to his cloth "vest". The soft goods designed into the figure includes the "skirt" aspect of the vest in the back, but not rest of the vest that's normally above that. Why did Hasbro go with this halter top design rather than an accurate, true vest design thus leaving the back uncovered? And why do the figure without the ability to easily remove the belt and vest to create the Death Star II look from the second half of the film, especially when that look has never been given a decent figure?
Would it be possible to get a Captain Panaka figure with a removable cap, either as a retool of the Ep I line original or as an all-new figure? The good captain hasn't been seen in a while and was often seen in the movie with his hat removed.
In the OT, the X-wing pilot costume has a band with cylinders just above the right boot, and the chest box hose connects to the left side of the torso. The VTSC Luke Pilot figure has this correct, however the Saga Dutch Vander Gold Leader body does not, yet that Dutch body is currently treated as the defacto pilot body when a new pilot figure is released despite that and its many other drawbacks and inaccuracies. At this scale, approximately 1:18, the difference in height between Luke's 5' 7" body and Gold Leader's 6' 3" body is 1cm, and between Luke and an average-height 6' body would be 0.5cm, which seems a little much for remolding the accurate Luke pilot up to the 6-foot-tall size (though we'd prefer that over continued use of the Gold Leader body). It seems this is one more noteworthy reason to produce a new, better X-wing pilot body, so have we convinced ya's yet to schedule that new figure, huh, huh?

Tycho
09-28-2007, 06:50 PM
I liked Hasbro's answers to the SSG questions - especially the NJO one.

While not committing to anything - I realize that - they sound like they are enthusiastic, knowledgeable fans who have Jacen, Jaina, Nom Anor, a Yuuzhan Vong warrior, etc. on their radar. That much is at least a start.

However "Dead Owen," and "Dead Beru" are even on their radar. (Dead Action Figures are cool!)

I like the hints towards more Rogue Squadron figures, too. I think X-wing pilots should have heads, 2 arms, 2 legs, and wear flight suits, and have helmets. ;) Don't you want X-wing pilots that have heads, arms, and legs also?

Meanwhile, the pegwarming situation question was answered exactly as I'd predicted it would be in various discussion threads the situation has come up in. I figured that was how they were using their skus to watch the store inventories. Theoretically, that should result in TAC cases being ordered like 4-1 over Legends (theoretically). However, it might be that just 1 Legends case (12 figures worth) never sells. I don't know. Or, the TAC that the warehouses have are either wave 1, wave 2, or wave 3. If we complain about wave 4 enough, that might clog sooner than later, and it'll be wave 5 & 6 that we're missing. Many here have Wave 6 figures because Amazon seemed to have started ordering and receiving that case of TAC.

Kidhuman
09-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Well the answer for the peg issue is horrid. We sent them the other issue and nothing became of it. I am so glad I have gotten the last 2 and next 3 orders coming from e-tailers.

JediTricks
09-28-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm very disappointed in the answer on the distribution issue, there's a logic hole there - one has to assume that older TAC product is selling through in order to believe that newer product will be replenished, but between older TAC not moving that well and Saga Legends crowding pegspace, you end up with a situation that only can work in the theoretical.

I'm also disappointed that they shined half the Luke Jedi question.

Adam
09-29-2007, 02:28 AM
Tried to google search a pic of Luke to see if thats true, but couldn't find a decent one. Surely he has his back facing the camera at one point before they leave Tattoine?

Tycho
09-29-2007, 03:44 AM
Speaking of the distribution issue, tonight my Wal-Mart got in like 5 cases of Wave 5 and maybe as many of Wave 4. The stocker got me 1 each of the figures I wanted, but he wasn't going to put the majority of the stuff out since there was too much old stuff on the pegs: Legends and stuff like Galactic Marines and Death Star Trooper - not to mention a good amount of Phil Collins with Moisture Vaporator.

JediTricks
09-29-2007, 04:13 AM
Tried to google search a pic of Luke to see if thats true, but couldn't find a decent one. Surely he has his back facing the camera at one point before they leave Tattoine?
When Luke lands on the side of the Sail Barge, his back's to the camera. I'll get a DVD grab of it over the weekend.

jedibear
09-29-2007, 12:33 PM
yeah, that answer to the distribution question was pretty evasive and unhelpful. "Oh well" or "I don't know" would've been more to the point.

Well....to paraphrase a certain princess..."the more they ignore their collectors, the more their collectors will slip through their fingers...."

I have 4 options in my immediate area for finding figures...1 WM, 1 TRU, 1 KB and 1 KM.

The WM has 8 pegs worth of "Legends" sitting there...they get one case a month of the latest SW30 wave and if you miss it...oh well.

The TRU is also packed to the rafters with large exclusives (xwing's, atat's & ugly banthas) and pegs packed with "Legends"...

The KB is packed with unmoving (at $7.99ea) "legends"....no new SW30 figures in over 3 mths...

The KM pegs have been empty all summer....

I'm sorry, but it seems from their answer, Hasbro doesn't want to really worry about anything other than producing the figures...distribution or really working with the retailers is almost beside the point. The system is more "broken" than ever before and that is made more obvious with the inclusion of the "legends" line.

I thought SSG's question was asked in an intelligent, respectful tone and the answer was like an unfinished PR statement..."No problem, nothing to see here, move along, move along..."

This SW30 line of figures has been great to look at, but getting them has been like being on a forced diet...standing outside that bake shop window and looking at all those fine, fattening baked goods and being told "Look, don't touch". I've enjoyed collecting these figures for many years....going to the store and finding hem on the pegs was always fun and meeting other collectors and sharing the enthusiasm for them was always a great part of the collecting experience. That's pretty much gone now....I will not resort to buying these online and hoping I get ones with perfect cards and great paint jobs (and paying more to boot).

How ironic it is that while the artists has hasbro are on such a qualtiy high of producing great figures that a good deal of the public never sees them....

Okay...rant over...

El Chuxter
09-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Y'know, it can't be that these guys never go shopping for anything. Logically, if I make a product that's carried in a store, I'd want to take a minute and stop by to see how they're doing. And yet Hasbro wants us to believe that they have personal shoppers, or something.

ChrisLyne
09-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Thank you so much for the NJO question!

Hopefully we'll see some of the major characters released next year (Jacen, Jaina and Nom Anor or a Yuuzhan Vong Warrior would be fantastic) with more in the future if they and NJO Luke do well!

figrin bran
09-30-2007, 09:40 PM
In the Q&A's with other sites, I counted 4 "No comments". Unbelievable! Most of them were in regards to the Target exclusive "Battle of Hoth Ultimate Battle pack" which should be due in stores in a month or two. What exactly is there to gain by keeping it so clandestine at this point?

El Chuxter
09-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Especially given that pictures have leaked. The secrecy is pretty ridiculous.

Jargo
10-01-2007, 11:04 AM
hasbro is pretty much always tight lipped regarding exclusives. I guess they reckon it's up to the retailer to bang the drum.

El Chuxter
10-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Yeah, but you'd think that when pictures are all over the web, complete with the "Target Exclusive" sticker, it might be time to open up about the existence of something that's obviously coming out within the next two months.

Jargo
10-01-2007, 11:25 AM
unless the deal isn't a done thing. if they're still negotiateing it then they won't want to mention any specifics. the contents of the pack may be in a state of flux. target may not end up taking the pack and it may go to someone else. we've seen that happen a number of times before.

master J
10-01-2007, 01:05 PM
I liked Hasbro's answers to the SSG questions - especially the NJO one.

However "Dead Owen," and "Dead Beru" are even on their radar. (Dead Action Figures are cool!).

I looked for Hasbro's comments on the dead owen and beru and couldnt find anything. Was this from a previous Q&A? I too would really like for them to make these figures... along with the funeral pyre vader!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Their answers to the Hoth Battlepack are exactly the same ones they gave to the Imperial Shuttle last year. Let's all put two and two together, shall we . . .

Tycho
10-02-2007, 01:20 AM
I looked for Hasbro's comments on the dead owen and beru and couldnt find anything. Was this from a previous Q&A? I too would really like for them to make these figures... along with the funeral pyre vader!

They were part of a joke Hasbro played on Comic Con 2006 attendees to their presentation.

They announced a collector wave that included the Dead action figures as well as Yarna and Wilrow Hood (ICMG) and they thought it was funny. But a lot of hardcore fans did NOT think it was funny. After they got all excited that Hasbro was going to make these figures, Hasbro said that they were just joking.

Most of us did NOT find that joke funny, and it actually was insulting. Many of us that want specialized pieces like that in our collection, are diorama builders. To be sure, there are some who want to find out just how obscure a character can be and still have Hasbro produce their action figure.

But we've played this game with them for a long time. Some possible wins might include:

Jek Porkins
Wuher
Blue Snaggletoothe

etc.

Hasbro might have found one to fire back at us with 1998's Pote Snitkin who I never noticed in ROTJ before they made the figure.

Ice Cream Maker Guy remains about one of the most obscure nobodies they might do. Dead Aunt Beru and Dead Uncle Owen might also top the list of oddities if they ever offered them.

You could laugh if they were carded, but in a scene-pack - possibly even with Luke and a re-release of the Landspeeder with a moisture vaporator - you know we'd all be buying it.

JediTricks
10-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Like JabbaJohn said, their "no comment" on the Hoth Ultimate Battle Pack are identical to last year's Imperial Shuttle situation, it was a Target black-friday exclusive and for whatever reason Hasbro's hands were tied when it came to talking about it until after it came out. My guess is Target wants it to be a "surprise" item, perhaps to stifle scalping or for some other reason, and they've stipulated it as such in the contract for the item.

JediTricks
12-14-2007, 12:51 PM
You may remember this ActionFigs/Hasbro interchange:

With the TAC Luke Jedi hitting shelves recently, the question turns to his cloth "vest". The soft goods designed into the figure includes the "skirt" aspect of the vest in the back, but not rest of the vest that's normally above that. Why did Hasbro go with this halter top design rather than an accurate, true vest design thus leaving the back uncovered? And why do the figure without the ability to easily remove the belt and vest to create the Death Star II look from the second half of the film, especially when that look has never been given a decent figure?
This was the actual design, as far as we could tell from the reference. Lucasfilm approved it as accurate, so we went with it. If there is evidence to support that it's a full tunic, we will take a look at it and use it the next time we slot in another Jedi Luke.Well, I finally decided I needed to do something about this, so I'm sending the following 7 screencaps to Hasbro today...

El Chuxter
12-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Omigod! Luke's humping the sail barge!!

Cane_Adiss
12-14-2007, 01:25 PM
I certainly hope they do make an accurate DSII Luke in the near future. Although I'm not sure I will buy one just yet since I'm not too excited about yet another black suited Luke figure. (I passed on this past one they released.) I think it would be a nice thing to round out another ROTJ wave and make all you guys happy! Seriously tho, I'm suprised they haven't done this yet. I would like a new ROTJ Emperor with throne first, and/or a SA Admiral Ackbar with command chair.