PDA

View Full Version : The Reason Behind the Hasbro Card Changes

Thrawn
02-09-2002, 08:45 PM
Has anyone else noticed the SW cards are getting uglier and uglier? Here are some of Hasbro's reasons from a hidden microphone in Hasbro's director's boardroom.

A raise for someone who can make an uglier card than Epsiode I!
Let's make generic - a way of life!
Blue - it failed once, let's do it again!
Blue it is, next year - plaid!
We'll make it look like Batman, so maybe it'll sell more, couldn't sell less?
People will be so disappointed with the cards they forget how much they are spending on them!!
Well, we can't make it red, that bombed so bad, next year we'll make it red.
Wal*mart said if we send them anything in a red package they'll send it back. I said that blows and blow sounds like blue, so....

wampa ems
02-09-2002, 09:02 PM
With the exception of POTJ cards, they all looked cool. POTJ is the ugliest ever. Whoever though to put young obi-wan and Darth Vader on one card should be quartered.

InsaneJediGirl
02-09-2002, 09:15 PM
I'd have to disagree.POTF2 and POTJ cards are/were probably the best ones I've seen out of all the cards made.:D

Beast
02-09-2002, 09:18 PM
I actually like the new combined blue Star Wars figure cards, and the POTJ cards were great also. Of all the cards, I thought that the E1 cards were the worst. All black and red, looked horrible on the shelf. The new cards are a welcome change. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
02-09-2002, 09:35 PM
"The guards of the Galactic Senate wear striking robes of blue, symbolizing the Senate's supreme authority and the long tradition of its wise and just rule." - Episode 1 Visual Dictionary.

Change that for Hasbro, and you get:

"The cards of the Unified Star Wars line bear striking colors of blue, symbolizing Hasbro's supreme authority and the long tradition of failures and misconceptions."

GNT
02-09-2002, 09:43 PM
The POTJ cards were one of the best looking cards ever mad IMO,the blue cards are also nice :)

boss nass
02-09-2002, 10:43 PM
i think hasbro should use the vintage format with all figures i like the real pictures on my cards:)

LTBasker
02-09-2002, 11:33 PM
Whenever I look at a green card or orange card POTF2 after/while looking at a POTJ figure, it's so nostalgic of when you didn't have to go to several lengths just to get one figure but they were easier to get.

The POTJ aren't too bad (could've been worse, could've been like the prototype versions with Luke instead of Obi), although I have to say overall, the POTF2 cards are the best. The Episode 1 cards aren't that bad, IMO, they were almost consistent with the POTF2 cards...

The AOTC cards give off a more generic feeling, they Hasbro didn't really think about packaging and just took what might appeal to a collector nowadays so they will have at least one thing to like about it. with the gigantic bubble though, alot of the figures sure do look empty. Like the sneak preview R3-T7.

Amanamike
02-10-2002, 12:10 AM
Ya redo the vintage card that would be awesome. But instead on the back use newer figures

Turbowars
02-10-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by boss nass
i think hasbro should use the vintage format with all figures i like the real pictures on my cards:) I totaly agree with Boss Nass! Use the vintage format with the nice green and black from the POTF2 line, Man that would look great. I can see it now, Hasbro can't keep the shelf stocked due to multiple points of articulation and a great looking package. Then I woke up:(

General Veers
02-10-2002, 07:17 AM
I like the AOTC Blue Cards myself.:D

Bel-Cam Jos
02-10-2002, 09:43 AM
The best things I like about cards are:
Little pictures of the upcoming figures (updated, please?)
Something unique to the figure (like, a PICTURE OF IT!)

Color is good, since you get a bit tired seeing all red, or all green, so changes there are welcomed by me. I've been asking for blue cards for some time now. POTF2 (mainly the Shadows of the Empire ones) was my fave.

JediTricks
02-10-2002, 09:52 AM
- Blue cards for using up all the extra blue ink laying around from all the unproduced Micro Machines products;
- Blue card designed to remind the consumer of how much he or she SHOULD have spent on Titan A.E. products;
- Blue packaging desgined to be bought only by those with American Express' new card;
- Blue packaging and bigger bubbles to keep the focus on the item inside... the complicated bubble tray!

Rollo Tomassi
02-10-2002, 12:14 PM
I like the Blue color, too. I thought it looked really good on Galoob's Episode 1 stuff.

It doesn't really matter what color it is, or how much it costs, or how articulated it is, or how detailed it is, or how the paint looks, or what accessories it comes with, THRAWN will start a thread of negativity about it. It's his reason for being.

General Veers
02-11-2002, 02:57 PM
I like the Vintage cards the best out of all of them.:crazed:

JetsAndHeels
02-11-2002, 03:21 PM
Personally I like the blue cards. I think the hands holding the lightsaber are a nice touch (reminds me of the original ROTJ theatrical posters from '83). The space background with the stars and the sky are a nice element in there too. No complaints from me.

JediTricks
02-12-2002, 09:39 AM
The real reason...

Hasbro wanted a card that even bootleggers would be embarassed to copy:

spacewarz.jpg (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=15701)

Rollo Tomassi
02-12-2002, 11:09 AM
Obi Man played by Michael Caine in his "The Man who would be King/ Zulu" phase with giant mutton chops and a pith helmet.:D

SithDroid
02-13-2002, 03:41 PM
I like the new SW logo they have. It gives it a Classic feel. I'd also like to see the return of the stars as a background. Perhaps a Millenium Falcon or Death Star in the corner instead of Vader or Maul. Something that reflects the classic line is what I'd like to see. The new blue cards are, yuck.:frus: :mad: