PDA

View Full Version : Bequeathing your collection

stillakid
10-04-2007, 04:20 PM
We're all leaving someday. :dead: Unless you happen to be an Egyptian prince with a pyramid as you eternal resting place, all of your stuff will have to go somewhere. Given away, thrown away, or sold.

Now look at all of those cool Star Wars toys you have. Hundreds...THOUSANDS of action figures with vehicles, playsets, trading cards, books, games, posters, DVDs, VHSs, that near X-rated Slave Leia statue....

Who gets it when you die? Your kids? Charity? Don't care? You've put all this time and effort into this hobby. Do you care what happens to it after you're gone?:sleeping:

General_Grievous
10-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Everything's gonna go to my kids, if and when I have them.

jjreason
10-04-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm currently looking for someone to help my wife deal with my SW stuff, and a separate person to help her deal with the comics in the event something unforeseen happens.

Pegger, don't answer your phone..... :D

jedi master sal
10-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Fiancee. In fact we've talked about it. I've got an excel file with 99% of my collection in it, with approx values and what she should expect the minimum to be for it on eBay.

We've talked about selling stuff in lots versus one item each (saves her on fees, but might get a lower return, etc.).

We've also talked about having her sister's fiancee help her with this process as it will be a lot of work. The understanding is that he would get no more than 10% of the money for those auctions he'd help her with-minus fees.

Should she go before me, then half to charity and half to her sister. The charity being a local one for battered and abused children. The charity can either give the toys to the kids or sell them off to help support the charity.

-Sal

Rocketboy
10-04-2007, 05:05 PM
What will happen to my stuff when I die?
Don't know, don't care.
I ain't takin' it with me.

Besides, everyone knows Jesus has the best toys and likes to share.

spiritofsentinel
10-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Nephew, niece, godsons & charity.

El Chuxter
10-04-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm going to be buried with my s***.

Tycho
10-04-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm going to be buried with my s***.

Right on! Except that I want to be creamated. So if they burn me with my toys, just think of the huge mushroom cloud of flaming Mouse Droid smells that will eminate from my funeral pyre! I'm going to secure a permit for this somewhere out in the desert like how they do the Burning Man - only I'll be the Burning Nerd. If I die wealthy, I'm going to spring for Star Wars costumes for everyone who wants to attend my funeral pyre. Security won't admit anyone not dressed like a character.

Then I'll be laid to rest on top of all my toys and the whole lot of them will be ignited into one huge whiff of melting plastic! Boom!

I haven't decided if it would be sacrelidge to throw my Transformers, Star Trek, and Terminator stuff on the fire with me or not yet. But the scene will be quite like Qui-Gon Jinn's funeral in Episode One.

In the event that I opt for no memorial / funeral service, as I've also thought that it may be unpleasant for everyone else to attend while several ladies argue over who was really my girlfriend (I know I wouldn't want to listen to that if I were alive, and haven't decided if it would be funny or not when I'm dead), there may be nothing done for me and my passing. This is actually the current plan, as I really do face the prospect of dying in the next couple of years because of my condition.

As to the toys?

3 3/4" to my little brother
12" to another friend who is into premium stuff, will love the SideShow - and Hasbro
Star Trek to my little brother as well
Terminator stuff - to the same friend as the 12", probably my SW Unleashed, too
Transformers - probably to a Transformers buddy of mine
Comics and Books - maybe to my little brother

The stuff could be donated to disadvantaged kids of course, but I'll leave that up to my heirs. I'll rest easier knowing that I left the stuff to those who would protect and cherish the stuff as I did if they kept it.

Anyway, I hope to purchase a large house and inventorize everything when I set it all up, then invite my designated heirs to familiarize them with where everything is in the collection and also see for myself how interested they are in it.

2-1B
10-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Mine's going in the trash, where it belongs.

Kidhuman
10-04-2007, 07:23 PM
I am gonna melt them down and make a coffin from them.

Tycho
10-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Mine's going in the trash, where it belongs.

Have you collected the trash bags you'll need for this yet? Post some pictures!

Glad? Hefty? Another brand? Which do you prefer?

2-1B
10-04-2007, 07:45 PM
The totes they are in can be tossed into the landfill just fine.

Old Fossil
10-04-2007, 09:27 PM
No idea. My little girl loves the movies (especially Darth Vader...wierd), but when it comes to toys, she's a girly girl and likes her princess and ballerina and doll stuff. By the time she has a kid (in at least 30 years, I'll warrant), kids probably won't be playing with action figures any more. I have no nephews, yet. And I'll be damned if the one guy in my town I know who collects SW besides myself is getting his fat paws on my AT-AT Drivers.

I guess if I get flattened by a falling tree tomorrow, everything will just go into the basement until the wife can figure out what to do with it.:rolleyes:

JON9000
10-04-2007, 10:13 PM
My niece and nephew can have all of the loose, modern stuff, as I have cut down a lot of my modern over the past few years. All of my vintage (82-85) Joes and vintage Star Wars will be sold and added to my estate.

Qui-Long Gone
10-04-2007, 10:35 PM
My kids can have my crap and do with it what they want....it's not like they're going to inherit a fortune anyways.....

Although I would like to be burried with a frozen in carbonite Solo in my vest pocket....just for the humor of it....

LusiferSam
10-05-2007, 01:24 AM
I've thought about this before and don't really have a good answer.

Modern SW toys: I don't care. Sell, give them away, throw them away. I don't care.

Vintage SW toys: Someone will get these. I don't know who, but someone. Maybe my kids if I have any, maybe my wife if I get married.

Lego Collection: This I care about. I really want it to stay as one and not be broken up. I've had a couple of strong candidates come and go, so who knows.

Books (Novels, textbooks, comic book etc.): I don't care.

Some other random things are letters friends have send me, if they out live me they can have their letters back. My ring and nice watch go to that someone special. And my one painting will be removed from the stretchers and buried with me, my sister won't get it.

bobafrett
10-05-2007, 06:25 AM
I had told my son he would inherit my collection, as it was just he and I. Now there is the fiancee to think about, and I've actually considered selling some of it to A) send my son to college or B) get a down payment for a house instead of throwing my money to a cheap landlord.

If my son does get it, I ask that he keep a few items, like my personalized Stormtrooper and Tusken figures.

As far as my arrangements to do with my body, I want to be dressed in my Stormtrooper armor, and be dropped from a helicopter onto Lucasfilm Ranch at Georges doorstep like a newspaper.

pegger
10-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Pegger, don't answer your phone..... :D

LMAO....

My wife has vowed to sell it all, and live off the proceeds in the Caribbean. I don't have the heart to tell her that she won't get that much for it,...

JON9000
10-05-2007, 09:41 AM
selling some of it to A) send my son to college or B) get a down payment for a house instead of throwing my money to a cheap landlord.

Yeah, if it came down to having a house or having a Star Wars collection, I would have to go with house. It is a much more sound way to use the cash. You can always keep your favorites!! (That's what I did- the POTF AT-AT is going nowhere!)

mtriv73
10-05-2007, 11:04 AM
I would say that I'll leave it all to my son, but I have a feeling he'll just take it from me anyway as soon as he can walk.

LusiferSam
10-05-2007, 11:16 AM
As far as my arrangements to do with my body, I want to be dressed in my Stormtrooper armor, and be dropped from a helicopter onto Lucasfilm Ranch at Georges doorstep like a newspaper.

:laugh: Ha Ha :laugh: Ha Ha :p That's great. I can't (ok won't) pull off the costumed fan look, so I couldn't do this. But I love the idea.

Jargo
10-05-2007, 11:32 AM
it can all go in the trash as far as I'm concerned. It's all just plastic junk and printed pages. I don't really care. money spent is money spent. I think placing value on chunks of plastic is just ridiculous.

El Chuxter
10-05-2007, 12:03 PM
I keep telling my wife that I want to be stuffed, mounted in a menacing (bear-like) pose, and put on permanent display in the entryway (or my daughter's entryway, depending upon whether she's old enough to have a house or not).

She thinks I'm kidding.

I most certainly am not.

bobafrett
10-05-2007, 03:15 PM
I keep telling my wife that I want to be stuffed, mounted in a menacing (bear-like) pose, and put on permanent display in the entryway (or my daughter's entryway, depending upon whether she's old enough to have a house or not).

She thinks I'm kidding.

I most certainly am not.

So then your not planning on having any grandchildren then, eh Chux?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-05-2007, 05:56 PM
If I die when I have kids, then it's their stuff. If it's before that, then, well, I'll be dead so I won't really care.

JediTricks
10-05-2007, 10:18 PM
I honestly don't know, I guess the options are family can sell it, keep it, or donate it to a kids' charity if they can find one to take it. It's a real sad state to consider, I've had 2 Star Wars collector friends die in the past 2 years and their loved ones just don't know how to deal long-term with their collections. It never occurred to me to deal with it seriously before that, but now I do wonder if I'd leave them burdened - I mean, as much as I'd want them to have money from whatever they don't want to keep, the reality is selling the collection will be nigh impossible. I dunno.

Slicker
10-05-2007, 11:35 PM
I've long said that I'm gonna have my toys melted into a big plastic ball, loaded into my truck, then put me in the truck, fill it with cement then bury the whole thing in the ground. I paid good money and spent alot of time on toys and my truck to just have someone get my s*** for free!!!

Tycho
10-05-2007, 11:44 PM

That's kind of cool. I just thought of being burried at sea like Megatron and having a Transformers funeral and having a large crane drop me off the side of an aircraft carrier!

But I might just float there because I'm not made out of metal like robotic organisms from another planet are.

Rocketboy
10-05-2007, 11:59 PM
I've long said that I'm gonna have my toys melted into a big plastic ball, loaded into my truck, then put me in the truck, fill it with cement then bury the whole thing in the ground. I paid good money and spent alot of time on toys and my truck to just have someone get my s*** for free!!!After the toys are melted and pured in I'm not sure there will be room for any cement.

Slicker
10-06-2007, 12:16 AM
After the toys are melted and pured in I'm not sure there will be room for any cement.This is quite true. I don't think my little truck'll even be big enough for all of those toys. Hmmm...

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Definitely sold.

They are eyesores according to most of my family (even though they are enthralled by a few of the cooler things) but I think they are chomping at the bit, waiting for me to die, so they can descend like vultures over my collection and liquidate it on Ebay.

Tycho
10-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Hmmm.

Star Wars is 30 years old.

Many in the Star Wars generation are about 30 years old, or within 10 years either way.

People might live to be close to 80 or 90 years old.

So in 50-60 years, there might be a tidal wave of SW being liquidated in estate sales such that tan-vest Lukes or Ralph McQuarrie figures are in every neighbor's garage sale or eBay listing. Thus making them quite worthless - even if in say 60 years, our children are 30 years old and want this stuff for our grandchildren.

Think about it.

Luuuuuuke
10-07-2007, 11:15 AM
They're toys to be handed over to my children and their children. I open them, so I'm not treating them as collectibles. They won't be worth much. But they're nice action figures and I'm sure someone in my family, somewhere along the line, will enjoy them for what they are.

LusiferSam
10-07-2007, 11:39 AM
So in 50-60 years, there might be a tidal wave of SW being liquidated in estate sales such that tan-vest Lukes or Ralph McQuarrie figures are in every neighbor's garage sale or eBay listing. Thus making them quite worthless - even if in say 60 years, our children are 30 years old and want this stuff for our grandchildren.

If they last that long. People like to say that plastic isn't biodegradable and with be around for thousands of years. Plastic may not be biodegradable but it does degrade. We're only now seeing the tip of the iceberg with this problem with the vintage line. Yellowing, green limbs, frosting, and sticky figures are all signs of plastic deterioration. I simply can't believe the modern line of figures with be any more immune to this problems.

TeeEye7
10-09-2007, 01:38 PM
My son knows he's getting it all. We started the collection in 1995 when he was six years old. At this point he's only interested in his carded collections. A lot of loose stuff (vehicles in particular) has found it's way on to eBay recently.

JediTricks
10-09-2007, 04:25 PM
My son knows he's getting it all. We started the collection in 1995 when he was six years old. At this point he's only interested in his carded collections. A lot of loose stuff (vehicles in particular) has found it's way on to eBay recently.
Aren't you worried with that knowledge he might do you in? ;)

TeeEye7
10-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Aren't you worried with that knowledge he might do you in? ;)

Well, I did buy him a pellet gun when he was 12. I guess he could shoot my eye out! :crazed: