PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler Accuracy

stillakid
02-09-2002, 09:00 PM
I get a hearty chuckle everytime I read somebody's post that says that they "know" the entire story of AOTC already. Presumably enough "classified" information was leaked to enable the reconstruction of the entire screenplay.

But my question is in regards to The Phantom Menace. I came to this site post-release date so I don't know what went on here beforehand. Two questions really. The first is, were there "spoilers" running rampant through the web at that time? and two, looking back, what exactly was the percentage of accuracy on those spoilers when compared with the actual film? Anybody know? Anybody want to step up and admit error if there was any? Just wondering. Can somebody construct some type of "list" of pre-AOTC spoilers so that it can be graded after the film's release? Now that would be an interesting thing to see!

Jedi Clint
02-09-2002, 10:09 PM
I don't know about pre-TPM spoilers as I joined the forums post release as well.

http://www.supershadow.com/starwarsepisode2/p1.html

This guy is the only one that left the scripment up after Lucasfilm requested that they be removed. Save the text from all three pages, and then after the film comes out you can compare and contrast.

I get a hearty chuckle everytime I read somebody's post that says that they "know" the entire story of AOTC already.

I see no need to degrade someone for their faith in this information. At least wait until it is is proven that they were misguided.....IF they are at all! If you want to play the told you so game after the film comes out, then so be it.

Beast
02-09-2002, 10:35 PM
Well Stillakid, I would say that just like Episode 1...which had even tighter security on spoilers then Attack of the Clones has, I have read, and peiced together about 90-95% of the film. During E1 Spoilers were a tad harder to find, but they were out there...this time there isnt even much effort to control them from Lucasfilm, that Ive seen.

I knew around a year before Episode 1 opened, about 70% of it, about 7-8 months before Episode 1 opened, I had like I said 90-95% of it all nicely figured out and tied up. Its not that hard if you no where to look, compare it with what you know of George Lucas and extrapolate the truth.

Infact I did just what you suggested with Episode 1. I wrote down everything I had pasted together from everything I read and set it asside til after I and others saw E1. And I was off on some minor minor things, but It was pretty accurate. So trust me, the entire movie has been posted in bits and pieces all over the place.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
02-10-2002, 12:28 AM
how accurate the spoilers were would probably depend on who you were asking. i recall reading an interview with mc calllum in which he made fun of the internet rumors regarding episode 1 and said they were all false. i wasn't online while E1 was in production, so i don't know how accurate his statement was, but i bet he'd say the same thing about E2. and i bet he would be lying/wrong.

i'm fairly confident i know 85% of the E2 storyline. knowing it and seeing it are two different things, though. i know even if i know what will happen, i'll still be blown away after seeing it. there may be a few suprises lucasfilm have managed to conceal, but the story is out of the bag. the trailers, official pictures and news releases have pretty much revealed almost everything. why they are trying to keep all of it a secret , i don't understand. the novel will be released on april 23. almost a month before the film is out.

General Veers
02-10-2002, 07:23 AM
It's funny sometimes because I hear totally different stories of AOTC from two people. I have given up trying to piece together the storyline, and I will wait till May.

stillakid
02-10-2002, 10:07 AM
Thanks, you guys, for clearing that up. It seems as though many of you really believe what you've heard while others remain skeptical about the information. So there is no way to be absolutely sure until the film (screenplay, book) comes out. I suppose that's where my own "chuckle" comes in...the statements of "fact" when indeed you're going completely on faith. Some people have the same attitudes towards religion (ie, I know God exists, etc). Prove it.

JediTricks
02-10-2002, 11:16 AM
Stilla, perhaps it's time to let it go. Maybe you need a nice rest, just sit and relax and let all this flow away. :crazed: Seriously though, isn't this like the 1,000th time you've brought this up? ;)

Rollo Tomassi
02-10-2002, 11:24 AM
Well, nobody can "prove" it yet. We haven't seen the movie. But I suppose we could send you a hyper detailed e-mail with script excerpts, a complete storyline, pictures, toy shots, bits and pieces from interviews, the Star Wars video series (complete with cross references of stuff in the background I.E. diagrams, models, costumes, etc) photos from magazines, online websites, Star Wars Insider and last but not least, the Star Wars.com glossary thinghy.

And then you could watch the film and point out any innacuracies. I think the 90% to 95% estimate would be about right on.

stillakid
02-10-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Stilla, perhaps it's time to let it go. Maybe you need a nice rest, just sit and relax and let all this flow away. :crazed: Seriously though, isn't this like the 1,000th time you've brought this up? ;)

Perhaps you're right. :) I just laugh at absolutes.

And, um, no I did have one other thread where I asked where the info came from, but this is about it. You're confusing this with the Midichlorians! :D

derek
02-10-2002, 12:42 PM
stillakid,

in regards to our speculation, faith has nothing to do with any of this. i don't believe i know E2's storyline as if it were a religious teaching to be accepted without evidence. if you'd care to move this to the E2 spoiler section, i, probably along with jedi clint, will go down the list citing overwhelming EVIDENCE, not faith, in regards to the basic storyline of E2.

faith, by the way, means believing in something in the lack of evidence. we do have evidence of events in E2. it's out there for the consuming.:D

stillakid
02-10-2002, 06:55 PM
ok

derek
02-10-2002, 07:06 PM
stillakid,

O.K. what?

is enron somehow involved with this?:confused:

stillakid
02-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Just re-reading some old posts (as a diversion) and I started to wonder about why some people so enjoy trying to "piece together" a film before it is released.

Way back in the day, I remember just going to see Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back without knowing squat about them. It was only with Jedi that I actually wanted to read the novelization before I saw the movie. I also gobbled up all the photos and behind the scenes stuff I could. That was a different age though without the internet so all info really came from the studio.

But what I still can't quite understand is the desire for anyone to want to know the details of a movie (spoilers) before they go see it? While it might be "cool' to see some image or hear some small plot detail, those elements would be far out of context and the casual viewer wouldn't really have the ability to "judge" anything at that point.

So what is the fascination for fans to learn "spoiler" information, for Star Wars or any other film? I don't get it? What's wrong with just going to see the movie and then judging it? :confused:

DarthQuack
02-25-2008, 01:48 PM
I never enjoy spoilers for movies or tv shows...lost, sopranos, etc....just doesnt make sense why you'd want to spoil it for yourself....it's different if you read a book beforehand....like Jurassic Park...but I wouldn't touch the SW novelizations beforehand if you paid me.

Jargo
02-25-2008, 02:28 PM
i look at movies like star wars as froth. it's all visual and there's no substnace. therefore my interest is in what the froth looks like. are there any cool designs that inspire me or make great toys. I'm really not concerned with the action of the film or the dialogue. just the designs and props and costumes. vehicles and robots. so it doesn't really matter to me if the information appears before the movie. i'll look at the pictures and fanboy artwork and if i like what i see i'll go see the movie to see how it all works in the context of the cinematic frame. an aesthetics experience rather than any other. sell me the art books before the movie. the posters and little replicas of whatever. I really don't care about so called spoilers. they don't really spoil anything for me.

Slicker
02-26-2008, 01:32 AM
I agree with MDP here. I read all of the novels for all three of the prequels but with all of the special effects it didn't ruin anything at all because you can't always put into words what it shown on screen.

2-1B
11-12-2008, 09:36 PM
I agree with MDP here. I read all of the novels for all three of the prequels but with all of the special effects it didn't ruin anything at all because you can't always put into words what it shown on screen.

Just like the Space Slug ? :lipsrsealed:

Slicker
11-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Just like the Space Slug ? :lipsrsealed:ESPECIALLY the space slug!!!

bigbarada
11-13-2008, 05:30 PM
So what is the fascination for fans to learn "spoiler" information, for Star Wars or any other film? I don't get it? What's wrong with just going to see the movie and then judging it? :confused:

I don't see a problem with knowing the outcome of a movie before seeing it. Historical films are some of my favorites, but knowing that we ultimately won WW2 doesn't diminish my enjoyment of films set during WW2.

The LOTR trilogy is probably the only film series that rivals the original Star Wars trilogy as the greatest saga of all time, IMO. I made it a point to read the books before seeing the movies and I believe that actually heightened my enjoyment of those films (but LOTR had a plot that was much more complex than your average movie).

In fact, some movies give away the ending as a plot device and the interest comes from watching all the dots get connected. Touching the Void would be an example of that. The movie never tries to leave you wondering whether the mountain climbers survived their ordeal or not, because you're watching actual interview footage of the climbers talking about it. It's watching what these guys went through and realizing all along that they are still alive to talk about it is what makes the film so amazing.

pbarnard
11-14-2008, 08:08 AM
It's like the girl I dated back in college, she did not know how Titanic ended right before it came out. She got upset when I mentioned the boat sinks, most everyone dies.

Jargo
11-15-2008, 07:04 PM
EXPECIALLY the sock puppet! YIPPEE!!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

stillakid
11-17-2008, 01:57 AM
It's like the girl I dated back in college, she did not know how Titanic ended right before it came out. She got upset when I mentioned the boat sinks, most everyone dies.

That reminds me of a girl in college who didn't understand why the plug end of the cable was the "male" and the socket was the "female." Unfortunately, the instructor explained it to her.

2-1B
11-17-2008, 07:49 PM
and then stillakid demonstrated it to her.

stillakid
11-17-2008, 11:48 PM
and then stillakid demonstrated it to her.

well, stillakid didn't. But as I recall, she would've been worth the time... :lipsrsealed: