PDA

View Full Version : Original trilogy dialogue that should have been the basic framework of the prequels.

Droid
10-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Here is the dialogue that did or should have locked in Lucas a bit on what happened in the prequels. Some of the dialogue is explained within the original trilogy itself, putting little pressure on the prequels, but setting the tone for the prequels nonetheless as it references the past. Whether any of the dialogue contradicts the prequels, and to what degree, is left to each person's "point of view":

A New Hope:

C-3P0: Vaporators! Sir, my first job was programming binary load lifters, very similar to your vaporators in most respects.

C-3P0: He says that he is the property of Obi-wan Kenobi, a resident of these parts and it is a private message for him. Quite frankly, sir, I don't know what he's talking about. Our last master was Captain Antilles.

Owen: He won't. I don't think he exists anymore. He died about the same
time as your father.

Luke: He claims to be the property of an Obi-wan Kenobi.
Ben: I haven't gone by the name of Obi-wan since, oh, before you were born. ... I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid.

Obi-wan: That's what your uncle told you. He didn't hold with your father's ideals, thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved.
Luke: You fought in the Clone Wars?
Obi-wan: Yes, I was once a Jedi Knight the same as your father ... He was the best starpilot in the galaxy and a cunning warrior ... and he was a good friend, which reminds me. I have something here for you. Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Obi-wan on some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did.

Obi-wan: an elegant weapon of a more civilized age.

Obi-wan: a young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights. He betrayed and murdered your father. And now the Jedi are all but extinct. Vader was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force.

Leia: General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars.

Vader: I sense something. A presence I've not felt since ...

Tarkin: Obi-wan Kenobi? What makes you think so?
Vader: A tremor in the Force. The last time I felt it was in the presence of my old master.
Tarkin: Surely he must be dead by now.
Vader: Don't underestimate the Force.
Tarkin: The Jedi are extinct. Their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion.

Vader: The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master.

The Empire Strikes Back:

Obi-wan: You will go to the Dagobah system. There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me.

Luke: Still, there something familiar about this place.

NOTE: R2 is with Yoda at the hospital where Padme dies in Revenge of the Sith, making their amusing fight on Dagobah a little questionable in my mind. Did R2 or should R2 have recognized Yoda knowing they were looking for a Jedi Master? Did R2 have any knowledge of the Jedi Masters of the Old Republic and what they looked like?

From the DVD version:
Emperor: We have a new enemy, the young rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker.
Darth Vader: How is that possible?

Yoda: Why must you become a Jedi?
Luke: Mostly because of my father I guess.
Yoda: Father, powerful Jedi was he. Powerful Jedi.

Yoda: I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.
Obi-wan: he will learn patience.
Yoda: Much anger in him. Like his father.
Obi-wan: Was I any different when you taught me?

Yoda: You are reckless.
Obi-wan: So was I, if you remember.

(When was Obi-wan ever impatient, angry, or reckless in the prequels? I know, I know, it all happened when Obi-wan was a youngling, before the Phantom Menace)

Yoda: That place is strong with the Dark Side of the Force. A domain of evil it is.

Obi-wan: That boy is our last hope.
Yoda: No, there is another.

Vader: Obi-wan never told you what happened to your father.
Luke: he told me enough. He told me you killed him.
Vader: No, I am your father.

Return of the Jedi:

C-3P0: If I told you half the things I've heard about this Jabba the Hutt, you'd probably short circuit.

Yoda: Do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor or suffer your father's fate you will.

Obi-wan: Your father was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.

Obi-wan: Anakin was a good friend. When I first knew him, your father was already a great pilot, but I was amazed how strongly the Force was with him. I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi. I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong.

Obi-wan: He's more machine now than man, twisted and evil.

Obi-wan: Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope.
Luke: Yoda spoke of another.
Obi-wan: The other he spoke of was your twin sister.
Luke: But I have no sister.
Obi-wan: To protect you both from the Emperor you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor knew, as I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remains safely anonymous.
Luke: Leia, Leia is my sister.
Obi-wan: Your insight serves you will. Bury your feelings deep down, Luke. They do you credit, but they could be made to serve the Emperor.

Luke: Leia, do you remember your mother, your real mother?
Leia: Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.
Luke: What do you remember?
Leia: Just images really, feelings.
Luke: Tell me.
Leia: She was very beautiful, kind, but sad. Why are you asking me this?
Luke: I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her.

Luke: I know there is good in you. The Emperor hasn't driven it from you fully. ... Come with me.
Vader: Obi-wan once thought as you do. You don't know the power of the Dark Side. I must obey my master.
(It seems that was Padme's position, not Obi-wan's, that there was still good in Anakin. Maybe for the next draft of Return of the Jedi the dialogue will be changed to "your mother once thought as you do.")

Emperor: Your hate has made you powerful. Now fulfill your destiny. Take your father's place at my side.

El Chuxter
10-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Stormtrooper 1: Maybe it's another drill.
Stormtrooper 2: You seen the new VT-16?
Stormtrooper 1: Yeah, some of the guys were telling me about it.

stillakid
10-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Yeah, thanks for that. Apart from some details, the Prequel story is pretty much laid out by the OT. Toss in a few other details from "official" novelizations of the films and it wouldn't take a genius to write a trilogy of prequel stories that actually match the OT and are entertaining without resorting to fanboy pandering and poop jokes.

Rocketboy
10-09-2007, 10:43 AM
There isn't a whole lot in that list that isn't true or wasn't answered in the PT.

El Chuxter
10-09-2007, 10:51 AM
I didn't get to see the VT-16, nor any previous drills. :mad:

stillakid
10-09-2007, 11:03 AM
There isn't a whole lot in that list that isn't true or wasn't answered in the PT.

Maybe you saw different versions of the films than the rest of us did. Where do you live?

Rocketboy
10-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Maybe you saw different versions of the films than the rest of us did. Where do you live?Planet Earth. Its a nice place (more or less). You should try coming down here sometime.
:D

*sigh* Let's get this over with...

C-3P0: Vaporators! Sir, my first job was programming binary load lifters, very similar to your vaporators in most respects.Probably true. When we last see him in ROTS, Captain Antilles was instructed to wipe his memory. What happened next is more than likely programming binary load lifters. Or was that quote in relation to binary load lifters being similar to vaporators in most respects (which Lucas totally dropped the ball on that one).

C-3P0: He says that he is the property of Obi-wan Kenobi, a resident of these parts and it is a private message for him. Quite frankly, sir, I don't know what he's talking about. Our last master was Captain Antilles.An obvious lie so he can deliver the message to Obi-Wan. Threepio wouldn't know what the hell he's talking about since he didn't know about Artoo's mission. Antilles was the droids former master.

Owen: He won't. I don't think he exists anymore. He died about the same
time as your father.Another lie. This time to protect Luke.

Luke: He claims to be the property of an Obi-wan Kenobi.See above.

Ben: I haven't gone by the name of Obi-wan since, oh, before you were born. ... I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid.Addressed elsewhere.

Obi-wan: That's what your uncle told you. He didn't hold with your father's ideals, thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved.Point 1 that still doesn't make sense (unless it is another lie to protect Luke somehow).

Luke: You fought in the Clone Wars?He did!

Obi-wan: Yes, I was once a Jedi Knight the same as your father ...They were!

He was the best starpilot in the galaxy and a cunning warrior ... Sure looks like he was damn good pilot in the PT.

and he was a good friend, We don't see much of this, but
their conversation before Obi-Wan heads off to Utapau sure implies it.
which reminds me. I have something here for you. Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it.An easy way to sidestep a conversation about Luke's father until Luke is ready.

He feared you might follow old Obi-wan on some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did.Point 1A that still doesn't make sense (unless it is another lie to protect Luke somehow).

Obi-wan: an elegant weapon of a more civilized age.It appeared to be a more civilized age before the Clone Wars.

Obi-wan: a young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights. He betrayed and murdered your father. And now the Jedi are all but extinct. Vader was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force.True, based on Obi-Wan's later explanation in Jedi.

Leia: General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars.Point 2 - but in the movies we only see the beginning and end of the Clone Wars. Also, this could be another example of lying to protect Leia by Bail Organa.

Vader: I sense something. A presence I've not felt since ......my old master f*cked me up on Mustafar.

Tarkin: Obi-wan Kenobi? What makes you think so?
Vader: A tremor in the Force. The last time I felt it was in the presence of my old master.
Tarkin: Surely he must be dead by now.
Vader: Don't underestimate the Force.
Tarkin: The Jedi are extinct. Their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion.Nothing wrong here. As far as Trakin (an most of the galaxy) knows the Jedi are extinct.

Vader: The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master.Obi-Wan is a Master, Anakin is a Knight (less than a Master). The Jedi Council didn't believe Anakin was ready to be a Master - he still had more to learn.

Obi-wan: You will go to the Dagobah system. There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me.I know people don't like it, but it is established that Yoda teaches Younglings. Obi-Wan was once a Youngling.

Luke: Still, there something familiar about this place.Point 3. Could be chalked up to The Force/Yoda "watching" for years.

NOTE: R2 is with Yoda at the hospital where Padme dies in Revenge of the Sith, making their amusing fight on Dagobah a little questionable in my mind. Did R2 or should R2 have recognized Yoda knowing they were looking for a Jedi Master? Did R2 have any knowledge of the Jedi Masters of the Old Republic and what they looked like?And he knows who Obi-Wan is, the truth about Luke and Leia, and many others, so why would he "speak" up at that point? Besides, when we are reintroduced to Yoda in Empire, he's acting like he's off his nut.

From the DVD version:
Emperor: We have a new enemy, the young rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker.
Darth Vader: How is that possible?As far as Vader knew at the end of Sith, Padme and the baby were both dead.

Yoda: Why must you become a Jedi?
Luke: Mostly because of my father I guess.
Yoda: Father, powerful Jedi was he. Powerful Jedi.No problem here. Anakin was a powerful Jedi.

(When was Obi-wan ever impatient, angry, or reckless in the prequels? I know, I know, it all happened when Obi-wan was a youngling, before the Phantom Menace)Answered in that bottom paragraph.

Yoda: That place is strong with the Dark Side of the Force. A domain of evil it is.Why did this need to be answered?

Obi-wan: That boy is our last hope.
Yoda: No, there is another.No problem here.
SPOILER ALERT: It was Leia.

Vader: Obi-wan never told you what happened to your father.
Luke: he told me enough. He told me you killed him.
Vader: No, I am your father.No problem here. That is what Obi-Wan told him and SPOILER ALERT: Vader is Luke's father!

C-3P0: If I told you half the things I've heard about this Jabba the Hutt, you'd probably short circuit.Why does this have to be addressed?

Yoda: Do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor or suffer your father's fate you will.No problem here. And it almost happened.

Obi-wan: Your father was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.No problem here.

Obi-wan: Anakin was a good friend. When I first knew him, your father was already a great pilot, but I was amazed how strongly the Force was with him. I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi. I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong.No problem here.

Obi-wan: He's more machine now than man, twisted and evil.No problem here.

Obi-wan: Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope.
Luke: Yoda spoke of another.
Obi-wan: The other he spoke of was your twin sister.
Luke: But I have no sister.
Obi-wan: To protect you both from the Emperor you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor knew, as I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remains safely anonymous.
Luke: Leia, Leia is my sister.
Obi-wan: Your insight serves you will. Bury your feelings deep down, Luke. They do you credit, but they could be made to serve the Emperor.No problem here.

Luke: I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her.Point 4. There is far too much speculation as to why Leia says it.

Luke: I know there is good in you. The Emperor hasn't driven it from you fully. ... Come with me.
Vader: Obi-wan once thought as you do. You don't know the power of the Dark Side. I must obey my master.
(It seems that was Padme's position, not Obi-wan's, that there was still good in Anakin. Maybe for the next draft of Return of the Jedi the dialogue will be changed to "your mother once thought as you do.")No problem here. Obi-Wan tried talking to Anakin on Mustafar but it didn't go very far because Anakin was having none of it. Did you expect Obi-Wan to beg and plead with Anakin to come back to the light side?

Emperor: Your hate has made you powerful. Now fulfill your destiny. Take your father's place at my side.No problem here.

Droid
10-09-2007, 12:19 PM
And let me clarify I wasn't listing all the ways the prequels contradict the original trilogy. I was attempting to list every bit of dialogue from the original trilogy that in some way referenced the past. Clearly some of it does not contradict at all.

JON9000
10-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Owen: He won't. I don't think he exists anymore. He died about the same time as your father.

If you want to take this line at face value, continuity problems start in ESB. I guess we should just toss everything after ANH out on its keister. :rolleyes:

stillakid
10-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Droid http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=574752#post574752)
Owen: He won't. I don't think he exists anymore. He died about the same time as your father.

If you want to take this line at face value, continuity problems start in ESB. I guess we should just toss everything after ANH out on its keister. :rolleyes:

What?! That line was in ANH. NOTHING in ESB contradicts anything in ANH and nothing in ROTJ contradicts the established continuity of ANH and ESB. What the F are you talking about? :confused:

JON9000
10-09-2007, 01:05 PM
What?! That line was in ANH. NOTHING in ESB contradicts anything in ANH and nothing in ROTJ contradicts the established continuity of ANH and ESB. What the F are you talking about? :confused:

ANH- "He died the same time as your father." Meaning, your father is DEAD!

ANH- "He betrayed and murdered your father." Meaning, your father is DEAD!

ESB- "I am your father." Meaning, your father is NOT DEAD!

Let's just patch this up with a little bit of retconning nonsense in ROTJ, shall we?

ROTJ- "Not ready for the burden were you."

ROTJ- "What I told you was true, from a certain point of view!"

ROTJ- " A certain point of view?" - Luke has just realized GL and the OT are FOS!

ROTJ- "You're going to realize many of the truths we cling to in life depend greatly on our own point of view!" Which has been my point all along with this whole stupid argument!

You realize I am clowning on our little argument now, right?

Battle Droid
10-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Stormtrooper 1: Maybe it's another drill.
Stormtrooper 2: You seen the new VT-16?
Stormtrooper 1: Yeah, some of the guys were telling me about it.

It's BT-16.:p

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/VT-16

El Chuxter
10-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Uh, so the Stormtroopers were talking amongst themselves about the B'omarr Monks?

This is a new low for the EU.

stillakid
10-09-2007, 02:30 PM
ANH- "He died the same time as your father." Meaning, your father is DEAD!
No, that line was uttered by someone trying to protect Luke. It was a "white lie" that everyone watching should have understood the purpose of.

ANH- "He betrayed and murdered your father." Meaning, your father is DEAD!
No, again, it was a "white lie" meant to protect Luke.

ESB- "I am your father." Meaning, your father is NOT DEAD!
True. Anakin is the guy behind the mask and is the biological father of Luke. Vader is the alter-ego pseudonym.

Let's just patch this up with a little bit of retconning nonsense in ROTJ, shall we?

ROTJ- "Not ready for the burden were you."

ROTJ- "What I told you was true, from a certain point of view!"

ROTJ- " A certain point of view?" - Luke has just realized GL and the OT are FOS!

ROTJ- "You're going to realize many of the truths we cling to in life depend greatly on our own point of view!" Which has been my point all along with this whole stupid argument!
Well, my point of view is to look at what exists and evaluate that regardless of my own personal opinions.

You realize I am clowning on our little argument now, right?
:confused:

JON9000
10-09-2007, 03:06 PM
No, that line was uttered by someone trying to protect Luke. It was a "white lie" that everyone watching should have understood the purpose of.

No, again, it was a "white lie" meant to protect Luke.

True. Anakin is the guy behind the mask and is the biological father of Luke. Vader is the alter-ego pseudonym.

Good work, because that is exactly how I interpet the above, and I am therefore able to enjoy the OT!

Of course "a young jedi named Darth Vader..." Wouldn't he have been named Anakin as a young Jedi, only to be named Vader as a Sith? Why not just say a young "Sith" and leave out all of the pupil business? Doh! :)

Droid
10-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Obi-wan: That's what your uncle told you. He didn't hold with your father's ideals, thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved.

Obi-wan: Yes, I was once a Jedi Knight the same as your father ... He was the best starpilot in the galaxy and a cunning warrior ... and he was a good friend, which reminds me. I have something here for you. Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Obi-wan on some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did.

Leia: General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars.

Obi-wan: You will go to the Dagobah system. There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me.

Obi-wan: Anakin was a good friend. When I first knew him, your father was already a great pilot, but I was amazed how strongly the Force was with him. I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi. I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong.

Luke: I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her.

Though I fully understand the arguments people make on why there is no contradiction, these are the pieces of dialogue that just don't match up for me. Please don't feel like you have to explain how they arent' contradictions; I know the arguments.

I felt like the original trilogy required there be some relationship between Anakin and Owen which was not shown in the prequels.

I don't feel like Anakin and Obi-Wan were ever really shown as friends.

Looking at the names Ben and Owen and Obi-wan, it does seem like Lucas intended that it was Ben and Owen who were brothers rather than Anakin and Owen. I prefer Anakin and Owen being brother so that Owen is actually Luke's real uncle. I think it could have gone either way. I sure didn't think Anakin and Owen would be stepbrothers though. :rolleyes:

I didn't feel like Obi-wan served Bail. Leia's line implies direct military command.

I felt like Qui-Gon did what Ben or Yoda were supposed to. Obi-wan was supposed to have trained with Yoda, not Qui-Gon. Obi-wan never took it upon himself to train Anakin because he believed he could do as good of a job as Yoda. If anything the Obi-wan of the prequels is weighted down with bags of humility and had no arrogance.

Obi-wan was not shown as reckless or angry.

Leia would have no reason to remember Padme. If anything Luke would be more likely to remember her since he is older and had more face time with her before she died. The clear implication of the original trilogy is that Luke went to Tatooine, watched over by Obi-wan while Leia remained with her mother for a some period of time before she died. It is also implied that Obi-wan didn't know about Luke having a sister while she was alive (that boy was our last hope), but I am willing to accept that Obi-wan meant that since he was dead and Yoda was old and on Dagobah Leia was no longer a viable option and that Luke was their last hope.

I think Jedi implies that Obi-wan knew Anakin had turned to the Dark Side and went to try and bring him back. But Obi-wan goes to Mustafar to try to kill Anakin and at no point tries to redeem him. He has semantics arguments that amount to the same bickering they've had throughout episodes II and III. In fact, on Mustafar Obi-wan lights his saber before Anakin does - and while Anakin has his back to Obi-wan no less. Hardly Obi-wan believing there is still good in Anakin and trying to get him to leave the Dark Side behind.

That said, I really, really enjoyed the prequels. I just don't think it delivered the story promised in the original trilogy. When I watch the original trilogy, those lines listed above immediately just don't fit with the prequels.

El Chuxter
10-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Looking at the names Ben and Owen and Obi-wan, it does seem like Lucas intended that it was Ben and Owen who were brothers rather than Anakin and Owen.

Despite Lucas' claims to the contrary, this was the intention. It was even believed by EU writers as late as 2000.

Slicker
10-10-2007, 03:50 AM
Obi-wan: an elegant weapon of a more civilized age.I thought they kinda covered it in ROTS. After Ben kills GG he looks at the blaster and says "so uncivilized". I thought that part was trying to tie into the "more civilized age" part.

JON9000
10-10-2007, 08:27 AM
I thought he just meant that the period of the Republic was more civilized than that of the Empire, which would actually need no explanation at all.

Droid
10-10-2007, 10:09 AM
I thought they kinda covered it in ROTS. After Ben kills GG he looks at the blaster and says "so uncivilized". I thought that part was trying to tie into the "more civilized age" part.

As I said, I was not listing all of the quotes that I thought were a contradiction. I was listing ALL of the quotes in the original trilogy which referenced the past.

I do think that the more civilized age referenced in the original trilogy was not shown in the prequels. I think you have to go further back in the history of the Republic to get to the civilized age.

I laughed when Obi-wan said "so uncivilized", but I thought that it was too jokey. I thought the prequels were often too jokey.

JON9000
10-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Maybe he was talking about the days before blasters existed. Everybody used croquet mallets, lawn darts, and lightsabers after tea-time!

stillakid
10-10-2007, 10:33 AM
I thought they kinda covered it in ROTS. After Ben kills GG he looks at the blaster and says "so uncivilized". I thought that part was trying to tie into the "more civilized age" part.

I'm guessing (educated guess) that when Lucas (or Huyck and Katz) wrote the line said by Old Ben, he had in mind the old days of the Samurai before firearms were even invented. The sword in those days was the elegant weapon that required training and forced the user to fight his opponent face to face. When firearms came into the picture, you could "throw death" and not have the skill and "grace" required to kill a man up close.

One of the problems with the Prequels is that like the Samarai, the Jedi are grossly anachronistic. It's difficult to even determine what their purpose really is beyond hanging around beyond their useful time. With so many guns around and systems having their own armies, what exactly do the Jedi do beyond being beat cops?

I started wondering about this during ROTS as we watch the Jedi get easily blasted into death by just a few guns. They don't seem very "powerful" and their elegant weapons really are no match for blasters aimed at them.

Obi's line in ROTS was obviously designed as a nod to the ANH line by Old Ben, but the rest of the storyline doesn't reflect that the galaxy has been without blaster technology for a long time (ergo, this more civilized age evidently hasn't existed for much longer than Obi Wan has been alive...Old Ben is referencing a period of time that he never personally experienced).