PDA

View Full Version : nay sayers and non believers

hairless chewie
02-10-2002, 08:21 AM
For a while I've seen alot of people putting down all the new AOTC stuff....without even seeing the product! Then we started to get all the pics off of E-bay and then the oohhs and aahhs started. The line is growing by leaps and bounds and is improving in all areas. Pack-ins? We got them! Detail? Scanned figures! The line has changed 100% and it's for the better! I have to say that I am truly excited by the things that are coming out and I haven't had the "fever" in a long time. Man, I look at all the stuff that guys like Jar Jar post and my jaw drops. I saw first POTF2 figures in a mag and I said that I would never buy them, they look horrible. Then I finally saw then and I scooped one of each!!! This isn't fine wine and cheese, it's freakin Star Wars man. Lets enjoy these times. each other and the whole experience. I'll see you on the sidewalk in front of TRU the night of the 22nd!!!

Sorry for the rant....:crazed:

Lman316
02-10-2002, 08:27 AM
Doesn't sound like a rant to me - I'm with ya all the way.
There might be some that look a bit odd, but we had odd stuff like that in POTJ, EP1 and POTF2.
And if people still don't want to buy them, I guess it just means more for me :crazed:

General Veers
02-10-2002, 08:37 AM
I agree 100% with you Hairless Chewie. If the people don't want the EP2 stuff, then they shouldn't buy them. More for us.:crazed:

LTBasker
02-10-2002, 08:32 PM
How could just seeing them in person make them better? pre-poses with small articulation amount and some of the articulation blocked? lame gimmicks? big detail of course but some bad likenesses, some really bad looking figures where they tried too much detail (Padme) and just figures they didn't think out right. (Tusken Raider mother? At least could've been made to be able to raise her arms or soft goods skirt with articulated knees to be able to sit down.) If StarWars figures didn't need these arm chopping/electronic backpack/arm firing projectile in the mid 90's when these things were hot or even back in the 80's, why not? What's the point of getting a toy where you're supposed to play with the figure but you can only play with the gimmick and the figure is just in the middle of it all? How is seeing something like that in person gonna make it all better? Lightsabers with energy blasts on'em? I've seen the Eeth Koth one in person and it stinks. Especially his pose. I see no point for him to have a hilt that can go on his waist when he looks stupid just standing there doing nothing trying to be "neutral." That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

PloKoon2385
02-10-2002, 08:38 PM
Like I always said, I never doubted Hasbro. I truly thought that I would wait and see. I was planning on buying them even if they weren't as great as lots of others expected. I know that eventually everyone of you would buy them. I believed that Hasbro wouldn't dissapoint us. They wouldn't make all this progress and then slump bigtime like a lot of you thought. This proves that Hasbro really is capable of great things. Bravo!:D I am so excited. I have NEVER been this excited, these figures look great. Now there is no doubt in my mind that I would not want anyone but Hasbro doing these. I don't think McFarlane or Toybiz or Playmates could do any better. So, let's ease up on the ranting on Hasbro.

Jargo
02-10-2002, 08:54 PM
No, I blieve that I WON'T be buying all of them. I can decide for myself what i like thank you. Those that have the least extreme poses like Orn Free Taa and palpatine will make it to my shelves but the others can sit on the pegs forever as far as I'm concerned. They have been sculpted with skill and craftsmanship no doubt but they donot make good action figures for play and i stand by my dislike of this new direction.

the beasts i will buy because they look fine. The vehicles i will buy because apart from the stupid wing thing on the starfighter they also look fine.

The playset is a horrid piece of cheap junky looking nonsense. Expensive and no better than any of the other playsets that hasbro have put out. Poorly executed and and badly designed. My personal opinion is that I would have to have pretty low expectations to like this playset. Thankfully my expectations are high and I don't buy into the hype. putting out multiple versions of figures and having wildly differing levels of quality on the same character over the many sculpts is inexscusable. It's a rip off situation that i also won't ever buy into. Calling something 'deluxe' does not make it so. Selling tiny characters at the same price as the larger ones is also a rip off and inexscusable too. I'm simply sticking by my guns and not buying those toys that i deem to be a rip off or badly made or pointless.
If my differing opinion is so hard to swallow then tough. I have just as much right to offer up those differing opinions as you have to shout every five seconds that you love everything and will kiss the company behind by purchasing everything with a star wars logo on it.

PloKoon2385
02-10-2002, 08:57 PM
I didn't mean ALL of them. But I was just making a point, that the people who say they would never buy any of them are probably going to end up breaking in and buying some. Sorry, if I offended you.:)

chewie
02-10-2002, 09:24 PM
I'll never go to any store at midnight just to buy a friggin toy. No matter how bad I may want it. And with episode II figs, I'll be getting some good sleep on that day.

They're not all horrible, but a lot of them are. If they were $3 apiece, I couldn't complain. But they're all within a price range that I feel the need to be picky with.

derek
02-10-2002, 09:33 PM
hairless chewie,

those who have criticized the line have done so after seeing it. the two main complaints are pre posed figures and almost no articulation. sure, the official pics look better than proto types, but they are still pre-posed statues.

i think my two favorite figs are chancellor palpatine and orin free tag. the likeness is great, and they are in neutral stances.

Jargo
02-10-2002, 09:45 PM
It isn't particularly you Plo, it's more a general thing. Like the people who love the stuff are telling us who don't that our opinions aren't valid. There are two sides to any argument/discussion and to simply negate the other side by shouting over them and moaning that they're ruining the fun is just immature to be frank. I wouldn't dream of telling the toy likers to shut up. Thheir views are valid but they don't seem able to see the other side without first dismissing it. I can see the work that went into the figures. I have deep respect for the peoplewho craft these things. My problem is with the company who sanctioned the new direction that gave us so many one pose wonders. As a long time consumer I think I've earned the right to complain about the stuff I buy if it isn't up to scratch or at least my standards of approval. I wouldn't buy a car if it didn't have any wheels or a motor, whay should i pay for a car shell, because it looks good? Stupid. I apply the same thought process to the figures and toys. Why should I buy an action figure that has no means of performing actions? Because it looks good? Yeah, but it doesn't do what it should. Therefore it isn't an action figure and I have recourse to moan at the company that makes them. Orn free Taa isn't an action character so doesn't need to have action ability, the Jedi are action characters and should have the means of being able to pull of those actions. But Hasbro are giving us these figures with one pose only and no action features save for those that hasbro dictate.
I want to buy figures made the way they always have been so that i can decide hoew a character is posed or which actions that character will perform. I don't think it's unreasonable to moan that i can't do that with the new offerings.
hasbro have basically robbed consumers of the opportunity to use their imaginations, they have taken the play out of play. Hasbro have decided that we can pose our figures in one scene only and that we have to have a flicking feature or a jumping feature or an electronic feature if we want that character at all. but that feature means that there can be no other play avenue open to a person. Kit Fisto will always have an arm slicing and it will do nothing else. Padme will forever have a twisting waist and gestapo saluting arm. What if I want Padme to have both arms down at her sides and have her facinf straight out front? I can't do that but it's the only padme arena figure out there so if i want padme in that outfit i have to put up with the feature? No i don't. I won't buy it. That's one sitting on the pegs with a stupid action feature. All the others will sit on the pegs for me. I want hasbro to sell none of these feature figures so that they realise how much dislike there is for them. If the feature figurs don't sell then they go back to the regular figures and we get a resculpt without the feature. If everyone blindly buys the feature figures then Hasbro think they've done a good job and put out more bad figures.

Figures that can oly stand and stare and perform one trick over figures that can be posed many ways and fit in many different vehicles and don't rely on tricks to sell themselves.... which would you prefer? The choice is that simple for me.

Turbowars
02-10-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by chewie
c
They're not all horrible, but a lot of them are. If they were $3 apiece, I couldn't complain. But they're all within a price range that I feel the need to be picky with. [/B] I totally agree with you Chewie and although I don't hate Hasbro as much as Jargo does he has a valid point about the toys not making good action figures due to thier one and only pose. I don't recall who said this but why make a saber hilt with removable saber if the figure is only able to be in a fighting stance? It just doesn't make sense. It seems that Hasbro is putting to much time into pack-ins and forgetting the figures playability

chewie
02-10-2002, 09:53 PM
Jargo is totally right. Fan complaints go to Hasbro's deaf ears.

The only way to make this company listen is the almighty dollar. Not buying a toy is the only way to get them to realize what they manufactured isn't what many of us want.

Turbowars
02-10-2002, 10:17 PM
You know the sad thing about this is theres a big room with fourty big wigs sitting around a huge table talking about what the consumer wants and they come up with these single posed action figures oh sorry just figures. It turns out that they are not talking about what we want they are talking about what will give them promotions and raises. I think Hasbro has a few too many log lickers working for them. It's just like Lucus, E1 sucked because no one would say No Lucus that looks bad or that wont work. They just let Lucus screw the whole Starwars feeling up. Everyone that works for these big outfits are YES men and out to make a buck O/K I'm done.

GNT
02-11-2002, 12:11 AM
Some of the collection 1 figures are disapointing but from I've seen so they look great :) A few I'll be buying but not all :)

hairless chewie
02-11-2002, 12:18 AM
Is Hasbro making the line for kids or 30somethings like us? Example: if you bought a bag of plastic army men when you were a kid, which one would you play with more: any of the shooting ones or the lame one with the rifle over his head????? Has Hasbro hit on all cylinders on this one??? No. But is it improving? In my opinion yes. In the volitile world of action figures, lines that don't evolve with the market don't leave the market. They rot on the pegs and get cancelled. Toys are made for kids, especially SW ones. We are just lucky adults along for the ride.

INDIANA
02-11-2002, 12:34 AM
I will not be buying all. At the outset we are getting a bunch of resculpts (there will be a total of 4 Mace Windu's with E1 and 3 Jango Fetts 1st day), more Battle Droids (which I'll pass on), another R2-D2 (personally I don't can if he hoots), and MORE resculpts of Jedi Council Members (I would have prefered a Deppa Bilba over re-sculpts of Plo and Tiin). I'll pick up the "new" figures and wait for the 2nd Zam. Pass on the Qui-Gon and probably the Royal Guard.

Whatever my personal "plan" or anything I have said in any of these forums (I still see Hasblo as a money grubbing company who doesn't give a damn about it's customers), I strongly believe people should be able to do whatever they want. If people want to buy it all...fine. If people don't want anything...fine. I'll meet you both somewhere in the middle and wish you both well.

PloKoon2385
02-11-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by PloKoon2385
I know that eventually everyone of you would buy them. I believed that Hasbro wouldn't dissapoint us.

Ok, I never said that everyone was going to buy them ALL. I just said that I know that everyone was going to buy them. Meaning some, not ALL. Ok, now that that's clear... I completely agree with you, hairless chewie. Toys are meant for kids (as seen in Toy Story). So, I think it is not only smart by Hasbro, but also fair. Even though kids aren't the biggest buyers of Star Wars anymore, when Ep. II comes around you can be sure that kids will want the toys that they just saw in the movies. And kids like action in their figures. So, I think it is ok if Hasbro does a limited amount of kiddy toys, but just not too many. And, if you haven't already noticed, even the kiddy toys have an exceptional amount of detail and likeness (which kids wouldn't notice). And, finally, as I have said before, I like to play with the toys and will continue to. So, I don't mind action poses as long as there is some articulation. I don't mind Eeth Koth either. So, in conclusion, I don't really care what Hasbro does, as long as they continue to make quality Star Wars figures that we have all come to love.:D

Turbowars
02-11-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by PloKoon2385

C So, in conclusion, I don't really care what Hasbro does, as long as they continue to make quality Star Wars figures that we have all come to love.:D Did I hear Quality,I think not. You must have meant poor quality:)

hairless chewie
02-11-2002, 02:08 AM
HHmmm.....Monkey face Leia or Tomb Raider Padme.......Yes, Hasbro is a money grubbing business, but isn't that the purpose of a business?? It's not a charity. Imagine you are that typical kid in the aisle and you wouldn't be caught dead with any of those Statue Amidala's(yeah we would but thats not the point) with no accessories. Then you see this new Padme in this action pose witha big honkin' gun blasting something. I think Hasbro was very smart(greedy, shifty, whatever) with this one because the female figures are always the worst sellers( in most toy lines)and because of that they ate traditionally short packed. They made a female figure(S) (Zam TOO) that can hold their own in the toy aisle. The line will never be perfect, don't think that it ever will be. If it was, then I probably wouldn't collect it. Hasbro does stuff for us that NO other company would do( Fan's choice 1,2,3, Stormtrooper army builders, B'ommar(sp) Monk, The chick pea cantina guys...totally obscure figs(BO-SHEK). It wiil grow when then let us get a crack at the toy fair Vader. Maybe I'm in full grip of the "fever", I don't know. It's a great time to be a SW Fan and I'm just glad to be along for the ride......and chewie if you would never go to a store at midnight for a friggin toy... then why are you wasting your time on a website like this?????????????? See you there!

George, you had me from a New Hope......

JonoFett
02-11-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
No, I blieve that I WON'T be buying all of them. I can decide for myself what i like thank you. Those that have the least extreme poses like Orn Free Taa and palpatine will make it to my shelves but the others can sit on the pegs forever as far as I'm concerned. They have been sculpted with skill and craftsmanship no doubt but they donot make good action figures for play and i stand by my dislike of this new direction.

the beasts i will buy because they look fine. The vehicles i will buy because apart from the stupid wing thing on the starfighter they also look fine.

The playset is a horrid piece of cheap junky looking nonsense. Expensive and no better than any of the other playsets that hasbro have put out. Poorly executed and and badly designed. My personal opinion is that I would have to have pretty low expectations to like this playset. Thankfully my expectations are high and I don't buy into the hype. putting out multiple versions of figures and having wildly differing levels of quality on the same character over the many sculpts is inexscusable. It's a rip off situation that i also won't ever buy into. Calling something 'deluxe' does not make it so. Selling tiny characters at the same price as the larger ones is also a rip off and inexscusable too. I'm simply sticking by my guns and not buying those toys that i deem to be a rip off or badly made or pointless.
If my differing opinion is so hard to swallow then tough. I have just as much right to offer up those differing opinions as you have to shout every five seconds that you love everything and will kiss the company behind by purchasing everything with a star wars logo on it. Chill out my fellow Brit, your opinion is a valid one, but reeeeeeellllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxxxxxx, they're ONLY toys!:cool: :)

We all collect for different reasons, yours is obviously to spend the time playing with your figures. Ummmm! Grown out of that phase, but others, like myself, display and admire the craftsmanship of what is the cornerstone of the toy marketplace.

If you decide not to pursue collecting what look to be predominantly pre-posed figures, regardless of their superiority, then all I can say is that you'll be missing out on something great. YOU PLONKER !!!

We have, for the past 20 years, been witnessing the evolution of Star Wars figures from the primitive to the sublime. Reconsider you doubting Thomas wherever you may be hiding :)

Jargo
02-11-2002, 08:00 AM
Don't you dare to presume to tell me how to behave.
Hasbro make these toys for collectors like the people who sculpt them. You think some of these toys look more like collectors pieces? damn right! they were planned that way by the designers who are yes, you guessed it - collectors.
The toys for kids thing doesn't wash at all. These are toys for adults with the movie tie in thing aimed at kids for a short period surrounding the movie. Hasbro don't care if kids buy the things because they know they can rake in the money they shelled out on production from completist goons who will buy any old crap wrapped in a bubble. Adult completists. They have a captive consumer base and know that whatever they put out there will be goons like you grinning like loon and handing over the cash.

There was nothing wrong with the figures from the POTJ range. They'd reched a level of detail that was fantastic. then things changed with the rebel fleet trooper and the awful Eeth Koth. If employing ex MxFarlane sculptors was a good idea on Hasbros part as far as you're concerned then fine, go buy you're mini McFarlane statues with a star wars logo slapped on top. I want the quality product that I'm used to not this crap.

Chill out? my fellow Brit. Don't you dare to associate childishness with me by insinuating that I'm childish to play with toys. As it happens there is positive proof that those who continue to play with toys through adult life not only live longer lives but are able to keep mentally healthy far longer than those who simply 'grow up'.
I play with my toys with my six year nephew as it happens. He likes to place the fugures how he wants them. He won't be buying or recieving any of the pre-posed figures either. he thinks they're crap. I handed him Eeth Koth to play with and he just put him down and the floor and went for a commtech stormtrooper instead. Eeth languishes in the toybox unplayed with.

There are two unhappy customers here wh won't be embracing the shiny happy new direction that Hasbro have taken. And will poke in the eye anyone who tries to force their damn opinions on us. You think I'm forcing mine? Not so. I was just stating my case until you got me riled. Now I'm arguing the issue with a smattering of angry reiteration. Maybe I should avoid conversation with you if you can't tell the difference between quality goods and shoddy goods. Anyone who thinks the Geonosis playset is a:quality product and b:good value for money has no idea whatsoever about anything. Low expectations and apathy are what make you a walkover for Hasbro. Nobody walks over me.

JonoFett
02-11-2002, 08:23 AM
:rolleyes:

IcebergSlim
02-11-2002, 09:14 AM
Unless toys factor into how you live day-to-day, I see no reason why you're so bent out of shape, Jargo.

And on a second note, you are probably in the minority when it comes to collectors who still play with their toys....

JonoFett
02-11-2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by IcebergSlim
Unless toys factor into how you live day-to-day, I see no reason why you're so bent out of shape, Jargo.

And on a second note, you are probably in the minority when it comes to collectors who still play with their toys.... I agree entirely. No kid of mine (or relative for that matter) will be playing with my figures. My figures (all vintage and all modern) will remain in their display cabinets where I can see them. :)

hairless chewie
02-11-2002, 09:40 AM
:crazed:
One thing is for sure... we are sure passionate about our shared passions of collecting.... and I am not a goon...thug or heavy yes, goon no!

Rollo Tomassi
02-11-2002, 10:28 AM
Honestly, I feel bad for anybody who DOESN'T play with their toys. What sad, pathetic, boring, repressed, drudge lives you must lead.

Anybody worth knowing plays with their action figures. Sheesh.

I'm afraid I'm with Jargo on this one. Extreme detail does not compensate for the fact that these are no longer toys. They are just plastic statues. And kids won't have any more fun with them then the adult collectors.

Also, who tells somebody else to grow up and them calls them a PLONKER in the same post? There's a word for that....Hy po crite.

hairless chewie
02-11-2002, 10:56 AM
I'll probably regret asking this but what's a PLonker??:confused:

dr_evazan22
02-11-2002, 11:01 AM
A lot of good points have been made on both sides of the collecting and playing issue. I mainly agree w/ the collectors, I odn't really play alot w/ my figures but I've got them displayed all over my apartment, and I love to rearrange them and make little dioramas and scenes.
On the other hand, the Arena Padme looks about as bad as most of the Princess Leia fig's.
I'm really looking forward to the 12" line and hope that they get as much articulation as a Marmit.
I'll see you in line at midnight.

c7791
02-11-2002, 12:14 PM
a plonker is an idiot just without the malice of forethought. On a seperate note the argument between collectibles and play is a good one. We should remember to respect everyone's personal taste and not accuse them of being childish if they choose to play or repressed if they choose not to. These are fine times my friends, let's remember there are bigger things to worry about and be grateful we have the ability to buy what we want to.

LTBasker
02-11-2002, 12:32 PM
Hey, I collect and treat my figures the best way I can, but I also like to enjoy the TOYS I buy and play with them from time to time. Them Imperial varmits are just askin' for a battle when they come around tryin to spy on new Rebel recruits.

JEDIpartner
02-11-2002, 12:42 PM
I think there is an absolutely hideous amount of inconsistency in the new line.
"Hello... I'm Shaak Ti and I'm having a conversation with Orn Free Taa! Oh, don't mind me... I know I should have a lightsaber in my hand for this to make sense, but don't mind me as I do this little jig while we converse." :frus:

"Help! I'm trying to run away from a treacherous bounty hunter, but damn if my gimp leg isn't making it difficult! Ooh! Curses!!!! I've just managed to smack a few pedestrians in the gob with my trick arm! Sorry lads!"- Padme Amidala.

It just isn't working for me. Sure... the detail is there, but what's detail without purpose?

LTBasker
02-11-2002, 02:43 PM
What actually seems like on the figures with the gimmicks and such is that they just put in detail and the gimmick and the figure is just stuck in the middle of it all. Shouldn't it be the detail and the figure with the gimmick in the middle? Amidala can't put her arm down or it doesn't look right, ok, so she's gonna deck Ani and Obi alot. :D Kit Fisto with lightsaber chopping action, aight, so if that's the gimmick, and you put his un-ignited lightsaber at his side do we get the first glimpse at a Jedi chef? R2 w/ tray could come into use right about then. :D

odb
02-11-2002, 04:17 PM
I don't know about everyone else but I think Hasbro went for the middle ground on these figures. Hasbro has probably realised that collectors are its main market, but is also stuck in the view that they are still toys.

Hasbro wants to appeal to collectors, unfortunately it sees collectors wanting figures like those McFarlane produces, in other words statuettes. But if it produces statuettes how do you make them appealing to Kids, the answer obivious if you are a Hasbro exec. Stick a cheap gimmick in it ie: lightsaber chop action.

I think Hasbro tried to accomodate both views on the collector vs kids views and failed to please either. Kids hate them cause they don't do much and are not action figures. While collectors hate the cheap gimmick ideas and miss the playability of the figures.

As for me I think I might get a few of them but by no means all of them. Hopefully Hasbro will learn from its mistakes and go back to making POTJ style figures. Unfortunately the only complaint Hasbro will register is a slump in sales.

2-1B
02-11-2002, 05:46 PM
Anyone familiar with Emperor Jargo's posts knows how precise and thoughtful his opinions are. I do not always agree, but I appreciate his perspective and the solidity of his arguments.

His criticisms were of the toys - if you disagree with him, fine - but it's immature to insult him for being passionate about his hobby.

PloKoon2385
02-11-2002, 05:48 PM
Whoa there, slow down Jargo and Jono. Let's not get hostile. I am sorry Jargo if I somehow offended you. I was not trying to tell you what to do. I was simply stating what I believed, and I believe that mostly everyone will be buying some Ep II figure sometime down the line. Ok? Now lets remain calm. :)

mark2d2
02-11-2002, 05:50 PM
Wow, there are some ANGRY people on this board! Here's my take. You can't please all of the people all of the time. And Man oh Man does this thread reflect that.

Sure, there are many figures in the upcoming collections that I will pass on. Some of the poses are just off, or I don't like the overall look of the character to begin with, but I also think a lot of my apathy is just that, well, dang it all I've probably already bought more than enough toys the past few years. But instead of stressing out over what I feel are the definite Mistakes-- I'll just buy what I like.

And frankly, I like some of the gimmicks. Metal accessories. Interesting. Nevermind the force action but they'll be so much harder to lose.

Even the Anakin retractable saber thing --- and I know I must be the ONLY person to like this one --- is way retro fun cool. Heck, I wish they did a wave of every core character with this. (Vader, Old Ben, ANH Luke) Okay, okay, already I can hear you all groaning out there. (If you don't like it--don't buy it!) I still think it would be cool. Kids would dig it! It was WAYYYYY cool having the saber ignite in the figures' hands back in the day. Much cooler than saying, "Wait a sec, I gotta swap out the lightsabers now. . . " This would have been a SWEET idea for the 25th anniversary Vader IMOP. Much better than just -- what? the 17th resculpt? And it'd be something truly different. Nostolgic. Which is why I buy the toys anyway. They take me back to a much simpler time. They're supposed to be fun, everybody. They're supposed to be fun.

This is supposed to be fun . . .

PloKoon2385
02-11-2002, 05:51 PM
I agree it isn't right to insult him. And, if I did, which I don't think I did, that is completely unacceptable and I am very sorry. Now, can we please just talk about Star Wars again, there's enough politics everywhere else, let's keep it out of Star Wars forums as much as possible, eh? So, as I was saying, I am very impressed with them. i was not expecting this much detail. True, there should be more articulation, but I can get past that. It is also true that alot of it is just eye candy, but that's half the fun. So, I like them, and if you dont, that's ok.

2-1B
02-11-2002, 05:59 PM
PloKoon, I was just referring to the tired criticism directed at people who "play with their toys" :)

Mark, I think I'm generally in the same boat as you - some of the figures I will buy, but others I will pass on. There is gonna be alot (too much for my toy budget) so I will just pick up the stuff that appeals to me (a few figures, and many LEGOS :) )

I am not completely opposed to the retro feel of Anakin's perma-saber, I just don't think I'll care for the hugeness of it. If it was more sleek, I would be excited . . . from the pics I've seen I keep thinking Power FX Luke/Ben/Vader and I'm not eager to get it. Maybe it will look cooler in person ?

PloKoon2385
02-11-2002, 06:06 PM
I also play with my toys every weekend with my best friend and my brother. That is what toys are for!
According to The Oxford Dictionary:
toy-n. 1. plaything 2. thing regarded as providing amusement
So, I agree with Jargo, don't insult people who do what they are supposed to with toys. Geesh. Toys are 1. playthings and 2. provide amusement. I am sorry if you are insulted, but I don't find looking at toys on walls in plastic prisons amusing. I find it sad. Watch Toy Story and Toy Story 2 folks, it is true.

PloKoon2385
02-11-2002, 06:08 PM
Let's get back to talking about Star Wars and how we are excited about Ep. II and maybe the toys (if you aren't, that's ok, but let's be nice). I am tired of arguing. I have argued enough. So I am going to start by asking a question. Does the Republic Gunship have holes in the size of it or are there removable panels not shown in the pics? And also, how big is it really?:confused:

JonoFett
02-11-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by c7791
a plonker is an idiot just without the malice of forethought. On a seperate note the argument between collectibles and play is a good one. We should remember to respect everyone's personal taste and not accuse them of being childish if they choose to play or repressed if they choose not to. These are fine times my friends, let's remember there are bigger things to worry about and be grateful we have the ability to buy what we want to. My post was devoid of any malice or aggression, and was written in a light hearted way. It was not the intention to scorn how a collector collects or what to do with a collection. It would appear that Jargo, being a Brit, misinterpreted my post and lambasted me in reply. That's fine, I accept the post may have conveyed to him a sense of ambiguity. No problem.

Being a 28-year-old uni grad, the idea I should regard playing with my collection as the norm is one I find laughable. If others prefer to do that, who am I to judge. I ascribe a lot of pride and satisfaction from seeing my collection evolve into what it has become, and it is visually appealing just to stand facing the cabinets and admiring the magnitude and complexity of their contents. Lets face it when you attend an exhibition in a museum, do you really think they'll allow you play with the exhibits? No, but just the appearance evokes pleasure which often effects a return visit. No hard feelings Jargo. Just chill.:)