PDA

View Full Version : "This station is now the ultimate power in the universe."

darthvyn
10-10-2007, 09:05 PM
"This station is now the ultimate power in the universe."

how could motti know that? did he do a side-by-side comparison of every power in the universe and come to this conclusion based on empirical data?

stillakid
10-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Judging by some of the posts here lately, I think that Yarna's six attributes are far more powerful.

Kidhuman
10-10-2007, 09:27 PM

how could motti know that? did he do a side-by-side comparison of every power in the universe and come to this conclusion based on empirical data?

Just because you didnt see it, doesnt mean it didnt happen Vyn.

darthvyn
10-10-2007, 09:43 PM
just the type of response i'd expect from an original trilogy lover.

by this point with so many additions to the OT, i'd have expected an additional scene where motti is pouring over a spreadsheet of all the powers in the universe and their respective amount of power. but NOOO, nothing of the sort. he just blatantly spouts out this obviously fabricated "fact" and no one questions him to back up his assertion.

2-1B
10-10-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm still waiting for verification that the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force. Nowhere in the films is this assertion of Vader's backed up - he has no basis for stating this.

stillakid
10-10-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm still waiting for verification that the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force. Nowhere in the films is this assertion of Vader's backed up - he has no basis for stating this.

That is true. Look at the effort it takes for Yoda to lift a little ol' Xwing out of a swamp. Now imagine Vader straining himself to blow up a planet. He'd likely get a hernia, crap his pants, or pop a giblet!

2-1B
10-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Exactly stillakid, that's what his black diaper thing on his costume was for. :D

Mister Roboto
10-11-2007, 10:00 AM

Because there aren't that many moon sized laser guns floating around the universe. DUH!

darthvyn
10-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Because there aren't that many moon sized laser guns floating around the universe. DUH!

that would be easier to SAY than to PROVE. it's a pretty big universe. i'm sure there might just be another civilization in another galaxy that has something just as powerful, if not more so...

if he had said "galaxy" it'd be a bit easier to swallow.

stillakid
10-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Actually, it does bring up an interesting question being, the point of the Death Star was to be a big gun capable of blowing up planets. Was it necessary to have it be installed inside a large space station ball? Why not just build the gun and tow it with a Star Destroyer or attach big engines to it? Did they really need the rest of the space station part of it?

darthvyn
10-11-2007, 11:20 AM
there was a book about a prototype turbolaser that was half the size of the one in the death star, that only had enough quarters for the support staff that was necessary for it to be operational, somehow controlled by the hutts. "darksaber" i think it was called...

anyway, the whole "universe" thing got me to thinking...

now, this has been touched upon before, but it's something that has irked me across all 6 films: the use and misuse of these three words: universe, galaxy, and world.

in "a new hope" we have two examples that i can think of:

ben kenobi: "you've taken you first step into a larger world"

now, obviously it's metaphoric, but in a time and place where inter-stellar travel is routine, doesn't that sound a bit... less than impressive? shouldn't the parlance grow with the abilities and understanding of the people that use it? wouldn't it make more sense in the scope of the film if ben said "you've taken you first step into a larger galaxy"?

the motti quote is similar, but less abstract - he's making gross assumptions about how powerful this thing is. it would definitely be easier or more accurate to say galaxy in this situation, but maybe he was trying to over-state his opinion for the effect of being more impressive.

similarly, we have to uses of "universe" in "the phantom menace" that should probably be changed to "galaxy" - in the pod race scene the announcers spout out "i don't care what universe you're from, that's gotta hurt!" this could easily be changed to either "galaxy" or even "star system" instead.

"i don't care what star system you're from - that's gotta hurt!"

that sounds better...

same with anakin and his "mom, you always say the biggest problem in the universe is that no one helps each other" - this would make more sense as "galaxy" as well.

2-1B
10-11-2007, 05:25 PM
They're all interchangeable, like swapping

"laser sword" for "lightsaber"

and

"energy field created by all living things" for "energy field enabled by the presence of midichlorians."

It's all the same, Vyn.

lol

Slicker
10-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Actually, it does bring up an interesting question being, the point of the Death Star was to be a big gun capable of blowing up planets. Was it necessary to have it be installed inside a large space station ball? Why not just build the gun and tow it with a Star Destroyer or attach big engines to it? Did they really need the rest of the space station part of it?
The way I see it is that it's like an aircraft carrier (I know pathetic but whatever.). You need an immense power source to even fire the weapon and you need the ancillary workers to maintain the weapon, the cooks, the cleaners, the painters, and it's also used to transport troops, landing craft, and fighters.

stillakid
10-12-2007, 09:38 AM
The way I see it is that it's like an aircraft carrier (I know pathetic but whatever.). You need an immense power source to even fire the weapon and you need the ancillary workers to maintain the weapon, the cooks, the cleaners, the painters, and it's also used to transport troops, landing craft, and fighters.

...and a Starbucks.

Slicker
10-12-2007, 09:46 AM
...and a Starbucks.
And a Starbucks, yes. Actually every shop or office on the boat is authorized a coffee mess and you get a can of coffee free every 2 weeks or so I think.

JediTricks
10-12-2007, 11:47 PM

how could motti know that? did he do a side-by-side comparison of every power in the universe and come to this conclusion based on empirical data?He is using empirical data actually, he's stating that based on observation alone without scientific method, everything else he's seen can't compare so he's going forward WITHOUT that side-by-side scientific comparison you mentioned. Plus, the guy's a total putz.

I'm still waiting for verification that the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force. Nowhere in the films is this assertion of Vader's backed up - he has no basis for stating this.Through the Force, one can control others to build that space station, and pull that switch which blows up that planet. The power to control people is far more powerful than the ability to shoot a laser beam once a day at a planetoid body. Plus, look which one survived the battle of Yavin.

Because there aren't that many moon sized laser guns floating around the universe. DUH!The EU seems to disagree. :p And then there's the Sun Crusher, the World Devastators, the Galaxy Gun, IG-88's brain, the Darksaber, etc..

Actually, it does bring up an interesting question being, the point of the Death Star was to be a big gun capable of blowing up planets. Was it necessary to have it be installed inside a large space station ball? Why not just build the gun and tow it with a Star Destroyer or attach big engines to it? Did they really need the rest of the space station part of it?As I understand it, that's essentially what the rest of the station is, it's mostly a big generator and drive system to move the gun around, the actual space station aspect is relatively minimal by comparison and relegated to the surface layers.

now, this has been touched upon before, but it's something that has irked me across all 6 films: the use and misuse of these three words: universe, galaxy, and world.

in "a new hope" we have two examples that i can think of:

ben kenobi: "you've taken you first step into a larger world"

now, obviously it's metaphoric, but in a time and place where inter-stellar travel is routine, doesn't that sound a bit... less than impressive? shouldn't the parlance grow with the abilities and understanding of the people that use it? wouldn't it make more sense in the scope of the film if ben said "you've taken you first step into a larger galaxy"?That sounds too awkward, it's supposed to feel authentic so the audience doesn't have to sit there pondering its meaning. I see your point, though that alternate example would fit better if Ben has said "you've taken your first step into a larger universe", but ultimately I think Luke living a mundane existence on that one rock had "world" feeling accurate.

the motti quote is similar, but less abstract - he's making gross assumptions about how powerful this thing is. it would definitely be easier or more accurate to say galaxy in this situation, but maybe he was trying to over-state his opinion for the effect of being more impressive.In terms of technology, Motti's not wrong as far as we know. The Death Star is the most powerful piece of technology ever created in a very linear-thinking interpretation.

in the pod race scene the announcers spout out "i don't care what universe you're from, that's gotta hurt!" this could easily be changed to either "galaxy" or even "star system" instead.Ugh, that line was painful no matter what universe you're from. :p But yeah, "galaxy" or "system" or "world" would all have been less awful in place.

same with anakin and his "mom, you always say the biggest problem in the universe is that no one helps each other" - this would make more sense as "galaxy" as well.I disagree, his mom might have said that, it's a hyperbole issue, we say stuff like that all the time without meaning it literally. Now, if Lucas had said "the biggest problem across the 19 known dimensions"... :p

AussieScott
10-22-2007, 06:19 AM

Do a search on YouTube for "Death Star Help Desk". Very clever.