PDA

View Full Version : "They're using a very primitive dialact"

El Chuxter
10-10-2007, 11:24 PM
LUKE
Do you understand anything they're saying?

THREEPIO
Oh, yes, Master Luke! Remember that I am fluent in over six million forms of communication.

HAN
What are you telling them?

THREEPIO
Hello, I think... I could be mistaken. They're using a very primitive dialect. But I do believe they think I am some sort of god.

How is this possible?

It's sort of tough to swallow that C-3PO isn't exaggerating this whole "six million forms of communication" bit. But not impossible. It's a big galaxy, after all.

Of course, a lot of those forms of communication would be nonverbal, like writing or sign language. He's probably familiar with the lekku sign language of the Twi'leks, even if he can't communicate in it himself.

But how does he know the language of these little furballs, totally isolated from the rest of the galaxy, and so insignificant that the Rebels don't even know they're on Endor? (Even the Imperials didn't bother rounding them up for slave labor!) How useful would that language be in politics? It'd be like a UN interpreter speaking earthworm! Why would anyone waste memory on a language likely to never be used?

And why would a robot whose specialty is communications be so poorly programmed as to think it's speaking the language, but not be sure?

More importantly, how could C-3PO be fluent in six million forms of communication? We see no evidence that Anakin was such a multilinguist, and he's the one who programmed him. (Never mind the question of why a robot designed to help his mom with menial slave labor would know all these languages.)

This is some really, really shoddy writing here.

2-1B
10-10-2007, 11:35 PM
It's sort of tough to swallow that C-3PO isn't exaggerating this whole "six million forms of communication" bit.

Anakin was the Chosen One, so he used his Force powers to add all 6 million plus a few more when he built the droid.

But how does he know the language of these little furballs, totally isolated from the rest of the galaxy, and so insignificant that the Rebels don't even know they're on Endor?

Wilford Brimley taught him.

Kidhuman
10-11-2007, 06:16 AM
3PO was an annoying wussbag and probably made it up to feel useful.

Mister Roboto
10-11-2007, 09:50 AM
More importantly, how could C-3PO be fluent in six million forms of communication? We see no evidence that Anakin was such a multilinguist, and he's the one who programmed him. (Never mind the question of why a robot designed to help his mom with menial slave labor would know all these languages.)

This is some really, really shoddy writing here.

Do you know those rectangle shapes on C-3PO's back? They are Speak & Spell expansion cartridges.

Slicker
10-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Perhaps the Ewoks learned there language from offplanet sources and it's been bastardized over the centuries into an almost indiscernable language.

As for the 6,000,000 languages being programmed maybe Anakin bought his hardware with the languages already installed.

stillakid
10-12-2007, 09:33 AM
I guess maybe Anakin didn't program Threepio like that. He was making the bot for his mom to help around the house.

Perhaps it was after Threepio's memory was wiped by Antilles (per the end of ROTS) that the Rebellion revamped Threepio's software (and purpose in life) and presumably, since he remembered nothing prior to the end of ROTS, his first job (offscreen) could have been programming binary load lifters.

Slicker
10-12-2007, 09:42 AM
I had never really believe that Anakin programmed 3PO by hand. 3PO is basically a big walking PC and Anakin obtained the hard drive, RAM, whatever and made 3PO. How many people really write the programs for there own computers? It's the same with 3PO.

BTW, I really like these threads that actually make you think about the movies instead of just enjoy 'em. I like seeing everyones opinions on why stuff happened.

darthvyn
10-12-2007, 10:13 AM
he knows 6 million forms of communication... from a certain point of view.

in actuality, he only know 5,999,998 forms of communication.

dirty liar.

Vi Cit Tecum
10-12-2007, 10:23 AM
And why would a robot whose specialty is communications be so poorly programmed as to think it's speaking the language, but not be sure?

It would probably be common. Today on earth there are many cultures where languages have diverted into various sublanguages. Where if you know the root language you can communicate decently but may run into problems at full understanding. Some culutures with less than 100,000 people can have multiple dialects of the same language where some one from the north end of the island has difficulty communicating with the south part of the island. 3PO probably would have been programed with root languages enough to get a point across.

As for why wuld people study these languages? How many people do we have trying to talk to dolphins and learning how they speak.

JediTricks
10-13-2007, 12:20 AM
I guess this means either:

A) someone came to Endor and taught Ewoks a foreign language that they modified;
-or-
B) Ewoks at some point left Endor in their deep past and brought their language somewhere else where they refined it.

Qui-Long Gone
10-13-2007, 12:09 PM
I think JT's choice B is a good possibility....

I think the point is that the SW universe is so big that even at 6million languages there are still 'final fronteirs' to be explored....perhaps the Ewoks spoke a type of primative Klingon?

AussieScott
10-22-2007, 06:14 AM
He was able to understand them precisely because he was built by Anakin.

Your average mass-produced protocol droid would probably just have the standard 6-million-language database uploaded and that was that. However, C-3PO's origin was unique, and by the talents of his creator he had certain intuitive qualities, so that possessing a database of 6 million languages, he was able to gain an understanding of the science of linguistics. As such, he was probably able to quickly learn a language, based on body language, sentence structure, context, and so on. Remember, there were dozens talking at once and, being a machine intelligence, he would be able to process and decipher all of them at once. This would have been especially easy if it were a primitive language.

Also, consider this... Finnish and Japanese are both diabolical languages to learn if you are a native Germanic or Latin group speaker. Yet a Finn can learn Japanese like falling off a horse, and vice versa, and both languages even contain some common words. Yet, historically, there has been absolutely no contact between these cultures before modern times. In an infinite universe there is room for infinite coincidence.

JediTricks
10-23-2007, 05:17 PM
3PO didn't call it a primitive language, but a primitive DIALECT, which means he was already familiar with some version of that language, and the Ewoks were using an archaic version of that existing language.

AussieScott
10-23-2007, 06:07 PM
3PO didn't call it a primitive language, but a primitive DIALECT, which means he was already familiar with some version of that language, and the Ewoks were using an archaic version of that existing language.

This is true. I was merely stating one possibility. This hearkens back to the galaxy/universe debate, quite often the word that is chosen is the one which sounds better in the sentence. I believe he meant "language" but "dialect" was chosen as it sounded better, despite being slightly inaccurate.

Still, he said "dialect", so "dialect" is now canon. The Star Wars galaxy has a long history, it's entirely possible the Ewok language had been influenced or corrupted by previous contact with a starfaring race earlier in it's history, possibly even Wookiees, as this final battle was originally conceived to have taken place on Kashyyyk. Hmmm, smells like an EU novel in the making...

JediTricks
10-23-2007, 06:22 PM
I still like my idea of ancient Ewoks leaving Endor and spreading their language around the galaxy. Hmm... maybe it's like Duros and Neimoidians, and the Ewoks are offshoots of Mon Calamari. ;)

AussieScott
10-23-2007, 06:30 PM
I still like my idea of ancient Ewoks leaving Endor and spreading their language around the galaxy. Hmm... maybe it's like Duros and Neimoidians, and the Ewoks are offshoots of Mon Calamari. ;)

There's a few examples in various SF mythologies of a race of "ancients" who seeded the galaxy and then either left or retreated to their point of origin. Although the Ewoks seem to have undergone some sort of retrograde evolution in the process...

JimJamBonds
10-23-2007, 11:31 PM
One word: Teek.