PDA

View Full Version : What was REALLY only in the movie?

stillakid
10-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Caesar's post below inspired the question, what was really in the movies and what information and ideas have "we" filled in to our collective memory due to the official novelizations, EU sources, trading cards, games, etc.

Exactly ! :D

And Dark Lord of the Sith was only mentioned in the printed word. And Ben Kenobi shoved Darth INTO a lava pit (unlike Tycho's "for the idiots" thread :crazed: ).

80's EU ruled. :cool:

1. As far as I can remember, the name "Tatooine" isn't ever mentioned in ANH at all. Threepio asks where they are and Luke's answer is "if there's a bright center to the Universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from." I don't think that they say the name "Tatooine" on screen until ROTJ.

Qui-Long Gone
10-13-2007, 12:47 PM
2. As far as I remember, Boba Fett isn't named until ROTJ (at least in the non-animated films)

2-1B
10-13-2007, 01:17 PM
stillakid, I think Luke said Tatooine at the end of ESB..."We'll meet you at the rendezvous point on Tah-doo-een" - it was years before I even noticed that's what he said, cuz he pronounced it different than I did (and different than how Ewan McG and Liam Neeson pronounced it 19 years later lol ).

Also, I don't think they even SAID it in ROTJ ? :confused: I could be wrong but I think it's only referenced in the Opening Crawl.

bigbarada
10-13-2007, 03:20 PM
3. Jabba and the Rancor are the only creatures in Jabba's Palace that are mentioned by name.

Soooo, Bib Fortuna, Gamorrean Guards, Squidhead, Ree-Yees, Yarna, Oola, Weequay, Klaatu, Barada, Nikto, EV-9D9, Sy Snootles, Max Rebo, Droopy McCool, Salacious Crumb, YakFace, Ephant Mon, Amanaman, Hermi Odle, etc. are never referred to onscreen.

4. I don't think Wicket or any of the other Ewoks are ever called by name either.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-13-2007, 09:06 PM
5. Nor is the word "ewok," for that matter.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Does it count if their names are in the credits? I don't know about the Jabba's palace characters without checking the movie. Ozzel, Piett, Needa and Veers are named by Vader in ESB. We don't hear the name of Tagge and Motti in ANH, but I believe they are in the credits. Same with Jerjerrod in ROTJ. Also, we only hear Tarkin referred to as "Governor", not Grand Moff. I forget what the credits say.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-14-2007, 10:59 AM
6. "Cloud City" isn't named, but called "a city in the clouds" in Luke's vision, or the Bespin system as Han's looking for repair places.

7. Other un-named in the film characters: Lobot, IG-88 (or any other non-Greedo or non-ROJ Fett bounty hunters), Walrusman, Palpatine (only "the Emperor" or "my master" ).

2-1B
10-14-2007, 11:01 AM
6. "Cloud City" isn't named, but called "a city in the clouds" in Luke's vision, or the Bespin system as Han's looking for repair places.

Well, Threepio does say it when he recounts their story to the Ewoks in ROTJ - does that count ? Or is it more of a foreign language thing since he was speaking their primitive dialect ?

Droid
10-14-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm pretty sure no one says, "May the Force Be with You" in Return of the Jedi, though Ackbar says, "May the Force be With Us."

El Chuxter
10-15-2007, 12:48 AM
Until ROTS, Obi-Wan is never referred to as a Jedi Master. Only a Jedi Knight, same as Luke's father. Yoda is address as a Jedi Master, though.

Seems like a minor point, but (because of the OT dialogue) I thought until ROTS that Obi-Wan never attained the level of Master.

Droid
10-15-2007, 05:50 PM
They never refer to Leia as Leia Organa in the original trilogy and never say that her father is named Bail Organa.

Wedge is never called Wedge Antilles in the films.

Droid
10-15-2007, 05:51 PM
The bar is never referred to as a cantina in A New Hope.

bigbarada
10-15-2007, 06:20 PM
"Darth" is always treated like Darth Vader's first name, not some kind of Sith title.

In ANH, Obi-Wan even refers to his old pupil's name as being Darth Vader, which implied that he was some guy named Darth, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Vader.

Qui-Long Gone
10-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Does Luke refer to them as Sandpeople? or does anyone say Tusken Raider?

El Chuxter
10-15-2007, 07:08 PM
I think Tuskens shows up in AOTC, but not before.

They never refer to Leia as Leia Organa in the original trilogy and never say that her father is named Bail Organa.

In fact, the radio drama calls him Prestor Organa. Some other EU source said Bail. Later, they decided Prestor was his middle name.

bigbarada
10-15-2007, 07:11 PM
The name "Anakin" isn't mentioned until ROTJ and the very first Star Wars newspaper comic strip, from 1978 or 79, referred to Luke's father as "Tan Skywalker."

El Chuxter
10-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Very true.

There's also a flashback in a Marvel comic of Obi-Wan, Tan (or it may have been Anakin by this point), and Vader fighting alongside one another in the Clone Wars.

On that note, the original screenwriter (Leigh Brackett?) of ESB did not know Vader was Luke's father. IIRC, there's a scene in the first script of the ghost of Luke's father appearing to him during his confrontation with Vader.

And no one except Lucas, Kershner, and Hamill knew what lines James Earl Jones would overdub over the crucial scene of ESB. Prowse said, "Obi-Wan was your father." Hamill was told so that he could react appropriately, and I'm sure Prowse was thinking, "Dude, what would be so bad about that?"

Droid
10-15-2007, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=El Chuxter;576087]I think Tuskens shows up in AOTC, but not before.

I think during the pod race in TPM they announcer calls Sandpeople Tusken Raiders.

El Chuxter
10-15-2007, 08:20 PM
You're right. But it's not in the OT.

2-1B
10-15-2007, 08:34 PM
The name "Anakin" isn't mentioned until ROTJ

ESB

Prowse said, "Obi-Wan was your father."

I thought it was "Obi-Wan killed your father?" :confused:

Whatever is was, it worked to get that hideous contorted look on Luke's face. lol

bigbarada
10-15-2007, 08:53 PM
ESB

DVD releases don't count.:p

2-1B
10-15-2007, 09:04 PM
It was released theatrically during C4. :p

bigbarada
10-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Howze about anything after 1996 doesn't count?

Mad Slanted Powers
10-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Tantive IV is not mentioned. How many of the vehicles are actually named? The Millennium Falcon and Star Destroyers are named. I wasn't sure if X-Wing was ever used, but I just recalled that an Imperial mentions it when Luke is approaching Bespin. I don't think any of the other Rebel fighters are named, such as A-Wing, B-Wing, and Y-Wing. What about TIE Fighters?

stillakid
10-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Whatever is was, it worked to get that hideous contorted look on Luke's face. lol

Lucas showed him the first draft for TPM. :yes:

2-1B
10-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Howze about anything after 1996 doesn't count?

If you include Shadows of the Empire in that, then we've got a deal mate ! :thumbsup:

bigbarada
10-16-2007, 12:56 AM
If you include Shadows of the Empire in that, then we've got a deal mate ! :thumbsup:

Fine because we're talking about stuff that actually showed up or was mentioned onscreen in the Star Wars trilogy and SOTE stuff didn't make an appearance in the films until 1997.

JediTricks
10-16-2007, 10:27 PM
It was released theatrically during C4. :p
That was an auditorium, not a theater. :D

2-1B
10-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Merely a typo JT, merely a typo.

I meant to say "It was released auditoriumally during C4." :p

bigbarada
10-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Merely a typo JT, merely a typo.

I meant to say "It was released auditoriumally during C4." :p

Isn't if funny how mis-typing only 10 letters in a word will just completely change the meaning of that word... almost as if you had originally typed something completely different.:p

AussieScott
10-22-2007, 06:57 AM
"Darth" is always treated like Darth Vader's first name, not some kind of Sith title.

In ANH, Obi-Wan even refers to his old pupil's name as being Darth Vader, which implied that he was some guy named Darth, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Vader.

This still works if you italicise it... Obi-Wan could have been using a sarcastic or contemptuous tone.

"Only a master of evil, Darth"...

I believe this is how it is explained in the new Death Star novel.

JediTricks
10-23-2007, 06:16 PM
But Kenobi wouldn't have told Luke that a young pupil of his named Darth Vader killed Luke's dad because the title "Darth" would have been known, whispered like a phantom menace.

AussieScott
10-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Does it count if their names are in the credits? I don't know about the Jabba's palace characters without checking the movie. Ozzel, Piett, Needa and Veers are named by Vader in ESB. We don't hear the name of Tagge and Motti in ANH, but I believe they are in the credits. Same with Jerjerrod in ROTJ. Also, we only hear Tarkin referred to as "Governor", not Grand Moff. I forget what the credits say.

Recently on an Australian quiz show called The Rich List, contestants were asked to list "NAMED characters from the Star Wars Original Trilogy". They needed to list 15 for the big prize, but with lesser prizes awarded for reaching 3,6,9, and 12. I was able to come up with about 20 off the top of my head, sticking strictly to characters who were named IN THE DIALOGUE. However, the question clearly allowed for characters named in the credits as well, it turns out there were over TWO HUNDRED (the contestants topped out at 12). Interesting statistic.

AussieScott
10-23-2007, 07:21 PM
But Kenobi wouldn't have told Luke that a young pupil of his named Darth Vader killed Luke's dad because the title "Darth" would have been known, whispered like a phantom menace.

On a backwater like Tatooine? When there were only two in the whole galaxy? Considering how his uncle tried to protect him from contact with the outside world? Unlikely...

Top marks, however, for the first sensible use of the term "Phantom Menace" in a sentence that I have come across...

JediTricks
10-23-2007, 07:34 PM
On a backwater like Tatooine? When there were only two in the whole galaxy? Considering how his uncle tried to protect him from contact with the outside world? Unlikely...

Top marks, however, for the first sensible use of the term "Phantom Menace" in a sentence that I have come across...
Thanks on that last part. :thumbsup:

I think so, I think Deak, Windy, Tank, Camie, Fixer and Biggs would have all heard tales of the Sith boogeymen as kids and eventually it would have come up while hanging out with young Luke even if Beru didn't tell him those bedtime stories.

BTW, very interesting thing about named characters with the credits. Did they count "Han Solo" and "Hahn Solo" separately? ;) "Leia" and "Leea"?

AussieScott
10-23-2007, 07:41 PM
BTW, very interesting thing about named characters with the credits. Did they count "Han Solo" and "Hahn Solo" separately? ;) "Leia" and "Leea"?

Are they foreign-language misspellings? Or just marketing tie-ins with beer companies? I don't think they were there. In any event, they flash up a list of the correct answers for about 3 seconds, it was just long enough for me to spot a couple that were not named on-screen but in the credits. I'm not a big enough fan to go to the trouble of buying a copy of the episode from the studio :)

JimJamBonds
10-24-2007, 12:38 AM
The bar is never referred to as a cantina in A New Hope.

Is the cantina referred to as a bar?

stillakid
10-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Is the cantina referred to as a bar?

I think the only thing Ben says is "This PLACE can be a little rough."

General_Grievous
10-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Until ROTS, Obi-Wan is never referred to as a Jedi Master. Only a Jedi Knight, same as Luke's father. Yoda is address as a Jedi Master, though.

Seems like a minor point, but (because of the OT dialogue) I thought until ROTS that Obi-Wan never attained the level of Master.

In AOTC, Obi-Wan was addressed as a Jedi Master by Taun We.

It's also worth mentioning that vehicle names wereused very sparingly in the movie. In ANH, the Falcon was the only named vehicle. The rest were all referred to as "fighters". I'm not sure if they mentioned TIE Fighters by name until ROTJ, and I can't recall any moment in the trilogy at all where they said "X-Wing Fighters". The rest of the vehicles in the trilogy went unnamed, besides Star Destroyers and the Sail Barge. They never said Landspeeder (though one is referred to as an XP-38), Sandcrawler, Y-Wing, AT-AT, Snowspeeder, Cloud Car, AT-ST, Speeder Bike, A-Wing or B-Wing. The only other vehicle mentioned was Luke's T-16 (Skyhopper) that was never actually seen in the movies.

JimJamBonds
10-24-2007, 11:54 AM
In ESB 'Snowalkers' are mentioned, Yoda calls Lukes X Wing a 'ship'

El Chuxter
10-24-2007, 01:19 PM
In AOTC, Obi-Wan was addressed as a Jedi Master by Taun We.

Actually, she said "Master Jedi," which could be interpreted as "Mister Jedi."

JediTricks
10-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Are they foreign-language misspellings? Or just marketing tie-ins with beer companies? I don't think they were there. In any event, they flash up a list of the correct answers for about 3 seconds, it was just long enough for me to spot a couple that were not named on-screen but in the credits. I'm not a big enough fan to go to the trouble of buying a copy of the episode from the studio :)I was just making a joke about the way those 2 characters have their names garbled by a few actors during the trilogy.

It's also worth mentioning that vehicle names wereused very sparingly in the movie. In ANH, the Falcon was the only named vehicle. The rest were all referred to as "fighters". Or "Snub fighters".

They never said Landspeeder (though one is referred to as an XP-38)Obi-Wan calls it a "speeder" when he tells Luke he'll have to sell his speeder.

Actually, she said "Master Jedi," which could be interpreted as "Mister Jedi."Yeah, that's how I took it, more a term of respect than a specific title.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-24-2007, 07:47 PM
IIt's also worth mentioning that vehicle names wereused very sparingly in the movie. In ANH, the Falcon was the only named vehicle. The rest were all referred to as "fighters". I'm not sure if they mentioned TIE Fighters by name until ROTJ, and I can't recall any moment in the trilogy at all where they said "X-Wing Fighters". As I mentioned in an earlier post, in ESB, an Imperial officer tells Vader, "ship approaching, X-wing class" before Luke lands on Bespin.

In addition to vehicles not being named, I don't think many aliens were named either. Jawas and Bothans are all that I can think of at the moment from the OT.

JediTricks
10-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Sandpeople, Wookiees. I won't count Mynocks, Banthas, or the Sarlacc because they're really creatures.

El Chuxter
10-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Gundarks. Of course, their sentience depends on what EU source you're reading.

JimJamBonds
10-24-2007, 11:46 PM

I'm pretty sure this thread has nothing to do with the EU there Chucky.

El Chuxter
10-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Yeah, but if they're sentient, then they'd be another sentient species mentioned onscreen.

AussieScott
10-25-2007, 05:14 AM
In addition to vehicles not being named, I don't think many aliens were named either. Jawas and Bothans are all that I can think of at the moment from the OT.

Remember Hammerhead from the Cantina scene? I even owned the action figure as a kid, for a generation he was just known as Hammerhead. Recently they decided he was actually called Momaw Nadon.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Remember Hammerhead from the Cantina scene? I even owned the action figure as a kid, for a generation he was just known as Hammerhead. Recently they decided he was actually called Momaw Nadon.But he wasn't called anything in the movie. It's also been determined that he is an Ithorian.

JediTricks
10-25-2007, 04:29 PM
I actually wrote "gundarks" originally, but removed it when I realized it wasn't SEEN in the movie, so there's no correlation. Same with nerfs.

Wampas are only referred to as "things" and "creatures".

El Chuxter
10-25-2007, 05:09 PM
They might've been referred to in the earlier script, though. I don't recall.