PDA

View Full Version : Glaring omissions from the vintage line.

bigbarada
10-13-2007, 10:45 PM
I really hope that this thread hasn't been done before.

We all know that the vintage days were a very different time in toy collecting and there were some Star Wars figures that were just never going to be made. But there were also some figures that really should have been made just because they played a critical role in one of the films.

So here are the figures that I just couldn't understand why Kenner never made when I was a kid.

Star Wars:
1. Grand Moff Tarkin
2. Dr. Evazan (although I don't think that would have been his name)
3. Han Stormtrooper
4. Sandtrooper
5. Longsnoot - Imperial Spy (or Garindan as we have come to know him)
6. Cantina Band
7. Ceremonial Luke
8. Ceremonial Leia

I'm not going to list Owen or Beru, because realistically they would never have sold back in the late-70s. Grand Moff Tarkin is a different story since he was a major character in the film and was actually the main bad guy of ANH. No Wedge, Biggs or other Rebel Pilots either since, for me, the one Luke X-Wing was adequate to fill in the entire Rebel fleet.

ESB: as a kid, I didn't think there were really any critical figures that just needed to be made. Never even considered a Spirit Obi-Wan, plus Luke's Dagobah Training and Snowspeeder Pilot outfits just weren't enough to warrant a new figure in my mind. Same with Bespin Escape Leia.

Although I never understood why a TIE Bomber had never been produced.

ROTJ:
1. Removable-Helmet Vader
2. Chewbacca with ROTJ hairstyle
3. ROTJ Stormtrooper (just because we needed a Stormtrooper who could turn his head)
4. R2 with third leg
5. Leia Ewok Gown

By 1984, Kenner's quality had improved enough that figures like Vader, Chewie, R2 and the Stormtrooper were looking hopelessly outdated. We really needed new versions.

Again, DS2 Luke just wasn't enough of a costume change to warrant a new figure to me as a kid.

Slave Leia, Oola and Yarna were never going to be made in the vintage line (although Kenner tried with a Yarna, but was shot down by Lucasfilm).

LusiferSam
10-14-2007, 12:10 AM
I really hope that this thread hasn't been done before.
If it has who cares, need some new blood flowing here. This is a great idea.

Star Wars:
1. Grand Moff Tarkin
2. Dr. Evazan (although I don't think that would have been his name)
3. Han Stormtrooper
4. Sandtrooper
5. Longsnoot - Imperial Spy (or Garindan as we have come to know him)
6. Cantina Band
7. Ceremonial Luke
8. Ceremonial Leia
I agree Tarkin is number one on the should have had list. My understanding was Peter Cushing won't let his likeness be used as action figure. I'd add a Rebel Fleet Trooper to the mix and put that as number two. Why? It's guys for the Stormtroopers to shoot and kill. Cantina Band,Garindan and Dr. Evazan would be my three, four and five. Considering that we didn't get a Luke trooper until '85 I'm going to put my Han trooper pretty at six. I'll dump the Sandtrooper for being too much like the Stormtrooper and hope one might have been on the drawing boards for '86-'87. And I'll dump the Ceremonial twins, for too little action.

ESB:
Like bigbarada I can't really think of any figures that really needed to be made. But I can think of vehicles and playsets that should have been. The TIE Bomber was most sorely need. I think it's the only major vehicle not to have been made. For playsets, a Bespin set or two would have been nice. I'd love to have seen a 3 3/4" scale version for the Micro World's Freeze Chamber. Now you would need very the Micro version had, but still scale the sucker up and that would have been a killer playset.

I'll finish with the ROTJ line later.

bigbarada
10-14-2007, 12:28 AM
I forgot about the Rebel Trooper. He definitely should have been made.

I never really thought of a Sandtrooper figure when I was really young, but after high school (early 90s) I saw a customized Sandtrooper in a toy magazine and instantly thought, "Of course, why did they never make that figure?" So I added him to my list.

I wanted a Yavin Luke as a kid because it just seemed to me that Luke would ditch his desert robes at the first opportunity and that was a great outfit for the "continuing adventures of Luke Skywalker" (pre-ESB of course).

Interesting note, according to this article:
http://theswca.com/images-speci/85LineExt/index.html

Kenner actually planned to make a Grand Moff Tarkin, a TIE Bomber and Luke's Skyhopper for their 1985-86 line, until Lucasfilm just pulled the plug on the whole toy line.

bigbarada
10-14-2007, 12:40 AM
http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=50972

I guess we were also supposed to get a Blockade Runner..... that looked like it was giving birth. :confused:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-14-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm pretty sure this has been covered as a thread before, but it can be updated for our "not-to-distant-[present] " now. ;) And I'd try to guess at the figures' names, too.

For SW (since that's what it'd be called), I go with:
1. Grand Moff Tarkin (obvious #1 choice, for same reasons above)
2. Blockade Runner Soldier (I always had to use a Star Destroyer Commander with a Survival Kit white backpack [I painted one black] as one)
3. TIE Fighter Pilot (I know we got one for ESB, but they had important roles in this film)
4. Luke Skywalker (Ceremony Outfit)
5. General Dodonna

ESB:
1. Dack or Wedge (Snowspeeder Outfit) (Maybe with a removable helmet?)
2. Rebel Base Droid (what we've come to know as K-3PO or the "white Threepio" )
3. ...
4. ...
5. ... (you are all correct, Kenner did a good job with figure selection. They really did "care about [us]" )

ROJ:
1. Darth Vader (with Removable Helmet) (I doubt it would've been made, or made well, but cool nonetheless)
2. Oola (no way that 'Fat Dancer' Yarna would've actually made it out of the prototype stage, but a green alien could get a less revealing outfit)
3. Princess Leia (Ewok Village Outfit)
4. ...
5. ... (coming up short on legit ideas)

2-1B
10-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Dagobah Luke

Pote Snikten

Ice Cream Maker Guy

Han in AT-ST Disguise

jjreason
10-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Someone told me once, LONG ago, that they had made a "white C3PO" from Hoth. For years I believed this to be true - up until about 1995 in fact when I sold my vintage figures and the buyer showed me the original Sansweet guide.

Since I believed in him for so long, I'll go ahead and add this droid to the list.

What the hell's his name again???

Kidhuman
10-14-2007, 05:43 PM
I wanted Imperial Officers from ESB. I would have loevd them as a kid. Also Dak.

Tarkin, I never understood why such a main character never got released. I never thought too much of a difference between the sandtrooper and the stormtrooper, same figure basically, got sand in his crack only difference.

2-1B
10-14-2007, 06:07 PM
If Cushing wouldn't green light the use of his likeness, then who from his Estate sold him out in 1997 ? :confused:

Mad Slanted Powers
10-14-2007, 06:11 PM
I had stopped collecting after getting only 5 ESB figures, but I always thought there should have been a Tarkin and a Rebel Fleet Trooper. A friend of mine painted a Death Squad Commander to look like the Rebel Fleet Trooper, and he painted a Stormtrooper black to make a TIE Fighter Pilot. I tried the latter but didn't have much success and then tried to remove the paint but never got it all off.

bigbarada
10-14-2007, 07:37 PM
and he painted a Stormtrooper black to make a TIE Fighter Pilot. I tried the latter but didn't have much success and then tried to remove the paint but never got it all off.

I tried the same, but with a magic marker, not a good result.

Not a key character by any means, but I always wanted an Ephant Mon figure. He's pretty easy to spot in the old ROTJ storybook, so I always thought he was a main character until I actually saw the movie and realized that he was barely in the movie.

Someone told me once, LONG ago, that they had made a "white C3PO" from Hoth. For years I believed this to be true - up until about 1995 in fact when I sold my vintage figures and the buyer showed me the original Sansweet guide.

Before Sansweet's books and all the toy collecting magazines, there was a lot of rumor and speculation as to exactly what figures had been made. For some reason I believed that the Cantina Bartender (Wuher) and the Cantina Band had been made in the 70s. Wuher as a pack-in for the Cantina playset and the Cantina Band as a mail-in set. It wasn't until 1994-95 that I realized that wasn't really the case. It might sound silly, but the rumors that I heard about an R2 with a third leg (from the Droid Factory) and an alien called Yak Face turned out to be true.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-14-2007, 08:14 PM

Since I believed in him for so long, I'll go ahead and add this droid to the list.

What the hell's his name again???The white C-3PO would probably be K-3PO. They made that figure in the POTJ line.

bigbarada
10-15-2007, 02:23 AM
Even though she's about as exciting as a math teacher, I always thought Mon Mothma had enough of a role in ROTJ to deserve a figure. Kenner made an Imperial Dignitary, so why not?

JON9000
10-15-2007, 09:49 AM
I don't think there were any "glaring" omissions from the vintage line. If anything, I am surprised about some of the figures that made it. You have to understand that the market was for kids exclusively, with no thought to collectors, and by and large, the new figures released were in conjunction with what was in the theater (ST Luke is the exception).

Any figure left unmade from ANH is perfectly reasonable when you realize that it was time to prepare for the ESB launch by the time Kenner was able to get all of the ANH toys it could to market, as they were caught off guard by the success and demand created by the film.

ESB and ROTJ were both very well represented in the line. I know a new Vader was in the works for ROTJ, and that's about the only figure I can think of that would really have been practical.

LusiferSam
10-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Any figure left unmade from ANH is perfectly reasonable when you realize that it was time to prepare for the ESB launch by the time Kenner was able to get all of the ANH toys it could to market, as they were caught off guard by the success and demand created by the film.

I think there are a least two ways to view this question. What should have made for the movie lines, ie. '78-'79 for SW, '80-'82 for ESB and '83-'84 for ROTJ. Or what they could have made in a '86 POTF line. And I'm trying to answer this from a kid's point of view.

Now answering the first version, I think only Tarkin and Fleet Trooper were missing from the SW line. The others would have been nice, but unnecessary. ESB figure was very good and pretty complete, as was ROTJ. I think Kenner dropped the ball with the playsets however. Another thought is large figures. Ephant Mon and (I'm blanking on his name) were too big for cards, so why not box them. The Wampa and Rancor were figures and so was the Rebo band. Why not have more boxed figures?

I'm still think about the '86 POTF aspect. Only because Kenner could have really run free on this. Given what I've seen from their "Star Wars is Forever" line thankfully they didn't.

bigbarada
10-18-2007, 09:07 PM
The more I think about it, the more I realize that the Sandtrooper didn't really creep into mass consciousness until just before the Special Editions. IIRC, the very first leaked photos of the Special Editions were of the new CG Dewback with new Sandtrooper footage composited in. Those photos were the first evidence that we really were going to get some new Star Wars movies.

A very exciting time (when we still believed that Lucas was a good filmmaker), but definitely after the vintage lines' time. There really is no way that Kenner was going to make a Sandtrooper figure, especially not when they seemed content to just keep releasing the same crappy Stormtrooper figure year after year.

El Chuxter
10-19-2007, 12:42 PM
I was always annoyed as a kid that they never made Padme, Qui-Gon, Dooku, Jar Jar, Battle Droids, and Grievous. I bought an extra Boba to repaint as Jango, so he wasn't as big an issue.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-20-2007, 11:05 AM
I was always annoyed as a kid that they never made Padme, Qui-Gon, Dooku, Jar Jar, Battle Droids, and Grievous. I bought an extra Boba to repaint as Jango, so he wasn't as big an issue.I always used Bespin Leia as Ascension Guns Padme, and I put Ben Kenobi's head on my Imperial Officer (with a trimmed Vader cape) to be Dooku, added a gas mask to 8D8 as a Battle Droid, or popped Greedo's head on Walrusman's bod for my Jar Jar. Should've been more creative there, Chux, but I'll give you that Grievous was tough to pull off.

vader121
10-24-2007, 10:43 AM
In my opinion they could have made the following during their eras...
ANH --
Tarkin
Rebel Fleet trooper
Garindan
Tie Fighter pilot
Imperial Gunner
Dr. Evazon

ESB --
Hoth Chewie
General Riekan

ROTJ --
Lando General
Twilek chick
Mothma *for the longest time I thought they made this figure too

In my opinion they didn't need to make the following ...
ANH --
Power droid
Snaggletooth (both versions)
Hammerhead

ESB --
FX7
Bespin Guard (black) *I think I know why it was made but ...

ROTJ --
Paploo
Lumat
Slave Leia

Kidhuman
10-24-2007, 12:43 PM
They made a vintage Slave Leia?

I still say we should have had Imperial Officers in the Vintage Line

vader121
10-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Oops, I was rushed at the end of my post and meant to put Slave Leia under what should have been made for ROTJ.

Engineernerd
10-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Wasn't there a Lando General figure in the vintage line?

Also, there was an Imperial Commander in the vintage line, (all black funny hat), or were you thinking specific Imperial officers?

Kidhuman
10-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Yes, General Lando was in the POTF line

vader121
10-29-2007, 02:19 PM
In rereading my post it became apparent that it is confusing. Again since I was rushed the post is messed up.

What I meant to say was that Slave Leia should have been created in the ROTJ line or POTF line and they should have made the General Lando figure in the ROTJ line.

Kidhuman
10-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Wasn't there a Lando General figure in the vintage line?

Also, there was an Imperial Commander in the vintage line, (all black funny hat), or were you thinking specific Imperial officers?

I was thinking specific ones. It was general eers on the Cardback for te Imp Officer. It would have been nice to get Ozzle, Needa by name instead of random people.

Engineernerd
10-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah, they could have called the AT-AT Commander General Veers. I guess they figured kids of the 80's were just going to use the Imperials as cannon fodder.

2-1B
10-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Lumpy and Maala.

Teek from the Ewoks line.

Sinscia Fat'o
11-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Wow awesome thread, as a kid i always wanted several figures....one i thought they made but they didn't.

ANH
Wuhler (I to thought he was in the Cantania playset, but he wasn't)
Dr Evazden (SP), they made Ponda why not the good doctor?
Tarkin!!!, I just used a generic officer for him as a kid, but they should have made him...
Sandtrooper...I just used my stormtroopers....didnt really care about them one way or the other.
Rebel Fleet Trooper, i always used my hoth troops and endor troops when playing, but it would have been cool to have one of these.
*cough* Tonnaka Sister, yes as a kid i wanted the twins...same true today.
A Rebel Commander, from yavin i always wanted one...just to have. later on when they made Crix Madine he took this role but it just wasn't the same.
Han and Luke as Storm Troopers, it took a while for Luke, but poor han. That and i never even found luke stormy as a kid.

ESB
Sprit of Obi Wan, that would have been a cool figure, and the only one i can think of that was missing from this line. ESB had the best quality of figures from the vintage line ups.

ROTJ
Mon Mothma, i always wanted her as well...

bigbarada
11-08-2007, 11:44 AM
ANH
Wuhler (I to thought he was in the Cantania playset, but he wasn't)

Y'know, I thought the exact same thing when I was a kid. How strange. My theory right now is that maybe in some early Sears catalog listing, Kenner might have made mention that the Cantina playset would come with a bartender figure (the name Wuher didn't exist back then), and maybe so many parents complained about an alcohol themed action figure that Kenner decided to pull it.

Either that or maybe we just got lied to by the same kid.:D

Sinscia Fat'o
11-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Y'know, I thought the exact same thing when I was a kid. How strange. My theory right now is that maybe in some early Sears catalog listing, Kenner might have made mention that the Cantina playset would come with a bartender figure (the name Wuher didn't exist back then), and maybe so many parents complained about an alcohol themed action figure that Kenner decided to pull it.

Either that or maybe we just got lied to by the same kid.:D

LOL, i looked for that damn figure up until the early nineties and never found him, it wasn't until i got the net that i found out that everything i thought was true was a lie...Though which figure (if any) came with Cantaina playset? Was this where the blue snaggletooth (Zutton) came into play?

Kidhuman
11-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Blue Snags came with the Sears set. There was no figure that came with the Cantina Set.

El Chuxter
11-09-2007, 02:21 PM
I thought for years Snaggletooth was supposed to be Evazan, since it seemed stupid they never made Evazan, and since Snaggletooth is impossible to find in the pan-and-scan version of the film.

Wasn't the Sears set the Cantina Set? And didn't it come with Blue Snags, Ponda, and Momaw?

Kidhuman
11-09-2007, 03:43 PM
I had a Creature Cantina that was bought frm TRU. Sears might have had an exclusive with the figures, but I never got mine from Sears as I never had a Blue Snags.

El Chuxter
11-09-2007, 03:54 PM
I had two, nyah-nya-na-na-na!

bigbarada
11-09-2007, 03:55 PM
I thought for years Snaggletooth was supposed to be Evazan, since it seemed stupid they never made Evazan, and since Snaggletooth is impossible to find in the pan-and-scan version of the film.

So did I, actually. Which is why Evazan never made it on my "glaring omission" list as a kid, I thought he was named Snaggletooth and had already been made.

Kidhuman
11-09-2007, 04:41 PM
I had two, nyah-nya-na-na-na!

Have an extra Blue Snags for me then?

Mad Slanted Powers
11-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Here's the Sears set (http://www.rebelscum.com/vintCantinaAdventure.asp) with the Blue Snaggletooth.

Here is the Creature Cantina (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/vintagepics/vingallery01large.php?toypic=81).

How could you mistake Snaggletooth for Evazan?

El Chuxter
11-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Because he was the closest thing to Evazan in the line, Evazan was possibly the worst "glaring omission," Snaggletooth can't be seen in TV broadcasts, and, uh, have you compared Walrusman to Ponda Baba lately? :D

bigbarada
11-09-2007, 07:47 PM
I always thought that Kenner was just trying to "pretty up" the character, which is how we got Snaggletooth. Plus, since my family didn't own a VCR until I was a Junior in high school, I had only seen the movie once or twice Based on what I remembered from that scene, Snags was pretty close.

Plus, like Chux said, accuracy wasn't really a top priority back then.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-09-2007, 08:19 PM
I only saw the film once at the drive-in, and didn't see it again until it was on TV. I didn't remember Snaggletooth from the movie. I don't think I ever thought it was Evazan. Perhaps the change when they put him on the card reinforced that idea, because red snaggletooth obviously wasn't Evazan. I never got a good look at Ponda Baba in the movie so I couldn't vouch for the accuracy of his head, though I knew the arm was the wrong color.

bigbarada
11-09-2007, 08:22 PM
I don't think I ever saw a carded Snaggletooth. In fact, I don't think I ever saw the figure at all when I was a kid, I only knew of him from those fuzzy cardback photos.

El Chuxter
11-09-2007, 08:31 PM
I threw out the card almost immediately, so that wasn't a concern.

I remember years later, finding out they weren't the same, and thinking the "hare mouse" was Snaggletooth. It took a long time to eventually find him, and I had to cheat.

Engineernerd
11-10-2007, 06:52 AM
I threw out the card almost immediately, so that wasn't a concern.

I remember years later, finding out they weren't the same, and thinking the "hare mouse" was Snaggletooth. It took a long time to eventually find him, and I had to cheat.

Cheat?

I don't have very many card backs. Most are from Jedi.

El Chuxter
11-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Cheat, as in look up exactly what point he shows up in the film.

bigbarada
11-10-2007, 01:02 PM
When I was a kid, this was my favorite page from the old ROTJ storybook. I loved looking at all the alien designs and I always wanted a figure of the "crocodile-faced guy" in the front row (Ephant Mon). I also thought that the TaunTaun head was a giant rhino alien lurking in the background.

Cash
11-11-2007, 09:16 AM
The lack of a Tarkin figure really hurt the original line considering the extent of his role in the film.

evenflow
01-14-2008, 05:36 PM
I always wondered what figures would have been made if the line continued. From all the pictures it seems like they would have gone the EU route but i still would have loved to have seen their plan for the 3 movies.