PDA

View Full Version : All the large accessories Hasbro released with the figures are inaccurate.

Battle Droid
10-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Umpass Stay's drum should have little horns or claws on top of it.

Han's torture rack should have more torturing devices on it.

Yoda's Kybuck is missing it's glasses or whatever they're called.

Luke's Moisture Vaporator is to small. (Though a large one wouldn't have fit.)

What else?

DarkArtist
10-14-2007, 06:28 PM
how about the Rebel Command screen with Riekaan or the Wampa Cave with deluxe Wampa and Hoth Luke. The Escape Pod with Deluxe Threepio.

Kidhuman
10-14-2007, 08:10 PM
How could you forget the curved Cantina pieces being too small?

JediTricks
10-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Guys, it's "too", not "to".

Umpass Stay's drum should have little horns or claws on top of it.And it's also too small by about a third.

The LIN Droid is too small.

The ewok net that upcoming R2-D2 comes with, while well-sized, is still too small.

The upcoming Destroyer Droid's shield is too small and opaque.

mtriv73
10-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Sure everything isn't completely accurate, but I'd rather have slightly innacurate versions of these things than nothing at all. For the most part, we're talking about pack-ins here. If you're buying the toys for the pack-ins then by all means rant away, but if you look at these as freebies they've thrown in to enhance the toy then I don't think there's anything to complain about. Sure, they could be a little more accurate, so could every toy hasbro makes, but for the most part they're pretty good.

Sinscia Fat'o
10-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Sure everything isn't completely accurate, but I'd rather have slightly innacurate versions of these things than nothing at all. For the most part, we're talking about pack-ins here. If you're buying the toys for the pack-ins then by all means rant away, but if you look at these as freebies they've thrown in to enhance the toy then I don't think there's anything to complain about. Sure, they could be a little more accurate, so could every toy hasbro makes, but for the most part they're pretty good.

exactly!

Whats wrong with the Kybuck? Thats an awesome figure! I counted yoda as the pack in and that was one of the best yodas we've ever gotten. The Moisture vap. is cool as well, and the torture rack come on we're lucky to actually get this thing at all. We as collectors shouldn't be that picky! :)

Kidhuman
10-15-2007, 06:45 PM
The only one I bought for the pack in was the MV with Luke. I look at is as Luke was the pack in

Ji'dai
10-15-2007, 07:49 PM
I really liked the oversized blasters from the POTF2 line. Now all we get are these dinky noisy crickets.

Old Fossil
10-15-2007, 08:04 PM

Right on. This is Hasbro, not Master Replicas!

JediTricks
10-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Nobody said otherwise, we were just cataloging the inaccuracies.

Jargo
03-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Oh b*tch b*tch b*tch! As Grandpa Simpson would say.

jjreason
03-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Cataloging the inconsistencies or picking nits? I'm with the group that STRONGLY encourages Hasbro to PLEASE continue to work on and include pieces like this - the moisture vaporator and torture rack accessories came with horrible figures last year, but were still two of the highlights of the TAC as far as I'm concerned.

I think we should encourage Hasbro to continue making things like that (as well as the Bacta Tank and Sail Barge cannons from a few years ago) as those pieces REALLY help the figures display more nicely in my opinion.

I wish they find some way to market large accessories like these, as well as small creatures like the Tauntaun for folks who want extras for their dioramas or displays (or due to breakage or lost parts).

Jedi_Kal-El
03-16-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm with you JJ. I really don't mind minor inconsistencies in these accesories as long as we keep getting them. My take on the subject is if you hound Hasbro on something as mundane as this then, they'll probably stop making them, and that would bite.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Just happy to have these different accessories because they probably wouldn't get made otherwise.

Question: People who are always upset about the minutia on EVERYTHING Hasbro does (remember folks, these are only 3 3/4" in size so movie accurate IS impossible), one, do you all sit with your figs and accessories in front of the movie/pictures of star wars characters and compare? Do you do other stuff in your life, like a job, education, partner, friends etc? Two, why do you still buy the stuff if it p*sses you off so much?

I can definitely understand a few complaints here or there, for example, leaving the chest insignia off of Evo Boba when they put it on the VOTC/SL version, but it's minor, maybe worth mentioning and then moving on. He's still my favorite sculpt of ESB Boba to date, much more that is a plus than negative, but constant, CONSTANT complaining about everything, why bother spending your money on these things if they make you so unhappy!? It just seems very hypocritical to me and a waste of money and time.

Val Da Car
03-16-2008, 11:50 PM
I really liked the oversized blasters from the POTF2 line. Now all we get are these dinky noisy crickets.

I use the AOTC / ROTS rifles from the GG Bust Ups.

They fit great!

TheRealDubya
03-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Just happy to have these different accessories because they probably wouldn't get made otherwise.

Question: People who are always upset about the minutia on EVERYTHING Hasbro does (remember folks, these are only 3 3/4" in size so movie accurate IS impossible), one, do you all sit with your figs and accessories in front of the movie/pictures of star wars characters and compare? Do you do other stuff in your life, like a job, education, partner, friends etc? Two, why do you still buy the stuff if it p*sses you off so much?

I can definitely understand a few complaints here or there, for example, leaving the chest insignia off of Evo Boba when they put it on the VOTC/SL version, but it's minor, maybe worth mentioning and then moving on. He's still my favorite sculpt of ESB Boba to date, much more that is a plus than negative, but constant, CONSTANT complaining about everything, why bother spending your money on these things if they make you so unhappy!? It just seems very hypocritical to me and a waste of money and time.

Well said. The "never satisfied" mentality has been a bit of a drag to me lately -- I find it on all the sites I frequent.

I'd be really bad at the Q&A job at Hasbro -- I would've snapped a long, long time ago. The amount of energy spent on redundant, "when will you make the perfect screen accurate version of such and such character" questions is maddening -- sometimes they're just openly hostile too. The logic just escapes me, but I just like a cool toy now and again. For me, it's not an all-consumming hobby.

Sinscia Fat'o
03-17-2008, 04:54 PM

Couldn't be said any better. Complaints over something like the EVO. Fett is stupid to be said bluntly. Yeah would it have been nice if the decals had been on there? Sure. But does it hurt the figure? Nope. That Fett is still the best figure of the character to date.

decadentdave
03-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Yeah like those big fat bazookas that came with the Rebel trooper and the upcoming Clone Wars figs. How many characters in Star Wars do you see using projectile weapons?

Jedi_Kal-El
03-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah like those big fat bazookas that came with the Rebel trooper and the upcoming Clone Wars figs. How many characters in Star Wars do you see using projectile weapons?

Well you gotta figure that Hasbro has to have a way to reuse those GI Joe projectile weapons.(don't know that they're really from Joes, but they will reuse them in some line or another)

JediTricks
03-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Cataloging the inconsistencies or picking nits? Cataloging the inaccuracies, these are not microscopic insignificant details like 3 microscopic bolts instead of 4. Saying everything's great doesn't make Umpass-Stay's drum any less inaccurately-scaled, it just ignores it - some folks choose not to ignore it but to recognize it. I'm so sick of people b*tching about b*tchers, nobody was complaining about them or nitpicking, there is nothing wrong with recognizing inaccuracies, we weren't saying anything negative, and we weren't pointing out microscopic flaws but significant ones.

I'm with the group that STRONGLY encourages Hasbro to PLEASE continue to work on and include pieces like this - the moisture vaporator and torture rack accessories came with horrible figures last year, but were still two of the highlights of the TAC as far as I'm concerned. Good for you, who here said different though? Some folks see negativity where none was stated, and I find that frustrating.

Question: People who are always upset about the minutia on EVERYTHING Hasbro does (remember folks, these are only 3 3/4" in size so movie accurate IS impossible), one, do you all sit with your figs and accessories in front of the movie/pictures of star wars characters and compare?Since I am one of the early and vocal proponents in this thread, this one is applying to me. Besides what I said above (and below in a later quote)... I don't go looking for it, this stuff stands out at me, I don't need to sit there and compare it trying to find inaccuracies, they present themselves and I merely take notice. Sometimes I'll do research to confirm what I notice, but as a detail-oriented person (which is a big part of what draws me to SW in the first place), this stuff presents itself.

Do you do other stuff in your life, like a job, education, partner, friends etc?Yes, and that's why I have Star Wars collecting, as an escape from the mundane, unimaginative parts of my life like work.

Two, why do you still buy the stuff if it p*sses you off so much?Again, I find it incredibly frustrating that a thread where NOBODY was complaining is being called out as a whiner convention. That's totally unfair and others like yourself projecting upon these posts something that is not there. What was originally an objective, neutral piece of information has now been slanted by Hasbro-defenders to seem negative.

I can definitely understand a few complaints here or there, for example, leaving the chest insignia off of Evo Boba when they put it on the VOTC/SL version, but it's minor, maybe worth mentioning and then moving on.We had moved on, this thread had 4 informative posts and then got mired in others complaining. In fact, the only complaining in here has been complaints about the so-called complainers.

He's still my favorite sculpt of ESB Boba to date, much more that is a plus than negative, but constant, CONSTANT complaining about everything, why bother spending your money on these things if they make you so unhappy!? It just seems very hypocritical to me and a waste of money and time.Oh... kay. Nothing at all hypocritical about the complainers complaining about the complaints. :p I catch a lot of this criticism, and every time I point out 3 positive comments from me for every negative one, but nobody focuses on the positive ones because there's nothing to say after "I like that figure, it's good, it moves well" - what kind of a discussion thread is "I totally agree", "yes, he's neat", "and he stands well too"? A boring one that nobody pays much attention to, that's what.

Well said. The "never satisfied" mentality has been a bit of a drag to me lately -- I find it on all the sites I frequent.

I'd be really bad at the Q&A job at Hasbro -- I would've snapped a long, long time ago. The amount of energy spent on redundant, "when will you make the perfect screen accurate version of such and such character" questions is maddening -- sometimes they're just openly hostile too. The logic just escapes me, but I just like a cool toy now and again. For me, it's not an all-consumming hobby.Of course we're never satisfied, Hasbro lets a lot of weird little stuff that could have been right slip through their fingers, and if we all just accepted that stuff, there'd be no challenge to do better, we'd still be stuck with POTF2-quality designs which are sorely substandard.

On Q&A, we asked Hasbro what's going on with the TAC line's main character likenesses, they didn't see it and I caught some criticism for the question, yet a few months later when even more main characters came out looking little like their counterparts or having horrible design issues, others started saying what we had been - sometimes just because the truth isn't happy and positive doesn't mean it's not right. I would rather Hasbro not make mistakes, but since they continue to, they should at least get honest feedback to help them learn from those mistakes.

Couldn't be said any better. Complaints over something like the EVO. Fett is stupid to be said bluntly. Yeah would it have been nice if the decals had been on there? Sure. But does it hurt the figure? Nope. That Fett is still the best figure of the character to date.What? I gave that figure a lot of positive comments but yeah, that missing emblem on his chest makes him less good, it's a little thing but it stands out. The head sock not covering his chin makes him a bit less good. The newer shoulder design moving the left emblem down makes him a little less good. The backpack falling out easily? The super long cape? Sloppy paint on the hands? The same weak design for the wookiee scalps? Limited range of motion for the head? Just because they made a good figure doesn't mean we should just ignore what they screwed up on, especially when NONE of that was unavoidable except the left shoulder emblem. Does any of that mean I don't like the figure a lot? No, I gave it high marks, I just tried to remain neutral and honest about what did and didn't work.

pegger
03-18-2008, 04:29 PM
For the record - I love all the stuff Hasbro puts out. Even the garbage that really aggrevates me - Like the TAC 2008 Gree helmet.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-18-2008, 05:44 PM
An apology...

I'm afraid I let some of my person life get the better of me with my post, taking out my frustrations of things going on in my life, on this here collectors' site. I apologize. I realize that having these little nuances to complain about is actually good medicine and if we are able to do so with star wars, we are all lucky that we have that outlet.

To get back to the topic, I never really noticed the inaccuracies of the different accessories, mostly because I guess I just don't pay attention. I am glad to have some of them though because they really do add to my dioramas. However, I do wish the Hoth tactics screen lit up :thumbsup:

On another note, I'd gladly give up most of these accessories in favor of less expensive figures! :yes:

jjreason
03-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Cataloging the inaccuracies, these are not microscopic insignificant details like 3 microscopic bolts instead of 4. Saying everything's great doesn't make Umpass-Stay's drum any less inaccurately-scaled, it just ignores it - some folks choose not to ignore it but to recognize it. I'm so sick of people b*tching about b*tchers, nobody was complaining about them or nitpicking, there is nothing wrong with recognizing inaccuracies, we weren't saying anything negative, and we weren't pointing out microscopic flaws but significant ones.

Oh yeah? Well I'm sick and tired of you complaining about me complaining about you complaining!!!! :p

I do notice things that aren't quite right too, from time to time, but I guess I'm just not so tuned in to the minutiae of either the figures or the movie sets, props & costumes that it bothers me. Just differences between folks I guess, but it still seems like nitpicking... likely because I don't have the eye for detail that some folks do.

pegger
03-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Oh - and I love Deox. She's cool. But her name is too hard to spell without looking.

JJreason's alright. I guess I like him a lot - as a beer drinking buddy. That's it.

JediTricks
03-19-2008, 12:37 AM
An apology...

I'm afraid I let some of my person life get the better of me with my post, taking out my frustrations of things going on in my life, on this here collectors' site. I apologize. I realize that having these little nuances to complain about is actually good medicine and if we are able to do so with star wars, we are all lucky that we have that outlet.Don't forget that you are a welcome and integral part of our community, and you're allowed to your opinions. :)

On another note, I'd gladly give up most of these accessories in favor of less expensive figures! :yes:Yeah, if only! Now we're not getting the accessories AND we're paying this. And the CW figures are opening the door to another price hike (hopefully one which our basic line won't go through).

Oh yeah? Well I'm sick and tired of you complaining about me complaining about you complaining!!!! :pThat's it, I'm complaining to the manager!

I do notice things that aren't quite right too, from time to time, but I guess I'm just not so tuned in to the minutiae of either the figures or the movie sets, props & costumes that it bothers me. Just differences between folks I guess, but it still seems like nitpicking... likely because I don't have the eye for detail that some folks do.You want nitpicking? The cheeks on the current SA Clone Trooper helmet which we've been using since ROTS #41 are asymmetrical, a buddy of mine who is a sculptor noticed this, he can't NOT notice it, and when he said it, it put a pin right on what I couldn't explain as to why they looked off to me. If you look at it straight on, it's not even that close (keep in mind, these are 1/18th scale, so even a millimeter off is going to translate to a big change), but I still own a dozen or so of this mold in various paint schemes.

El Chuxter
03-19-2008, 12:55 AM
I liked jjreason in Tenacious D.

majikmonkee
03-28-2008, 08:11 AM
If anything, I think Hasbro is putting too MUCH detail into their figures and accessories. The reason I say this is, despite the huge sampling of collectors who don't qualify as "kids" anymore (I'm one of them, being in my 30's), I think the target audience for Star Wars figures is still kids, and when I was a child, I didn't care about the inaccuracies of the vintage line, and let's face it,there were many. Kenner got away with murder in regard to miscoloring features on the characters, giving us costumes that were nowhere close to that of the original figure, and giving us face sculpts that in no way resembled the character they were based on. I really didn't care all that much, though, so the fact that Hasbro pays as much attention to detail as they do when a large part of their buying public just leaves their figures around for the dog to chew on is a huge bonus, and I don't remember them packing in any large accessories like they do now "back in the day".

My only complaint is the torture rack doesn't actually let me torture my Han. I still have to hold him over the electric stove burner like in the good old days (though I still never even ask him any questions)...

CaptainSolo1138
03-28-2008, 09:10 AM
I liked jjreason in Tenacious D.
My wife thought he was really good in "The Holiday".

Jargo
03-28-2008, 09:43 AM
As a kid collecting star wars figures it really irked me that the sculpts were too soft and the costumes wrong and the colours were off or missing. So much so that i would hunt out reference pics and repaint my figures as accurately as I could. I'd do stuff like remove vaders saber, fill in the arm gap and make him a new saber blade. I just couldn't understand why the figures sometimes looked nothing like the movie character. Greedo and Walrus man are perfect examples.

I've always had an eye for detail. Star wars had so much time and effort put into creating the look and I wanted to see every tiny little bit of it in close up. things that were shown fleetingly and looked so cool I wanted a chance to get up close and inspect them like you'd look at an artifact in a museum. The figures disappointed me so much i only bought a few.

It seems really dumb now when so much detail goes into sculpting action figures of any kind to skip details that are integral to the character. Like putting the time in to sculpt the weave on a fabric robe but then missing off something like an emblem that identifies the character as belonging to a warrior group or something. or sculpting ornate sleeves of a costume and then the hands on the end are like a tiny childs compared to the bulk of the character. giving a figure the wrong accessories such as Tycho's helmet. the reference material is available to hasbro whether it be direct from LFL archives or in the books the so called 'fans' who work on the team have in their personal library. hell the internet provides an endless source of pictorial reference so there's no reason why a sculpt shouldn't look right. I'd sooner have hasbro skip a wave completely or drop one figure from a wave to hold off and get it right before releasing it. maybe these are kids toys but i think it's insulting to kids intelligence to suggest they don't want the same level of detail that adult collectors do.

I don't expect perfection. it can't be achieved on mass produced product. I do expect some level of consistent quality. hasbro said in the last few Q&A sessions there are figures or product they would have liked to have had more time to work on so why not make the time. a few figures less a year isn't going to hurt anyone. don't sign off on stuff until it's finished. check the details. let the fansites point out where something is wrong before it hits the factory so changes can be made. rather than waiting til the money is spent on producing a figure then getting the negative feedback and having to redo the figure to make amends and just wasting money and peg space.

i'm over simplifying and realise there are other factors involved but the principles of business and saleable product seem to pass by hasbro. they put so much crud on the market that no-one buys and they don't need to. there are ways to avoid it.

as to the accuracy of the large accessories, finally getting the intial point of the thread, if you take the Thunder drum with Umpass Stay, while cool to have is too small. however, it's still large enough to look quite good. it's painted up and it has the pipes and the skin stretched over it with a rough approximation of skin detail etched onto it. the decorative detail around the drum is there, the O rings are there on the base, it looks close enough to the barely seen movie prop. It's ok.
I'm used to the scaling down of vehicles and playsets, there's a precedent for that. I'm actually surprised that the thunder drum is as large as it is and that when Ak Rev comes out we get a second half to complete the drum. As a pack in accessory i think the thunder drum is actually one of the better items we've got. they missed off the whole tube and mirror end of the Red ball Jett organ with Max Rebo. That really irked me. the thunder drum manages to look 90% right and is not so small as to look ridiculous. it's acceptable. The backrest with the Ultra jabba is also acceptable. it doesn't have the arm rest control panel, but it's close enough. it's a vast improvement on the vintage version. For the most part accessories are acceptable. Not perfect but acceptable. it would be nice to have these things be to scale but then the figures would suffer even more. I mean look at umpass Stay. His legs are awful. the damn thing won't stand unaided and his articulated ankles are useless. the ankle needed a pivot joint for it to stand not a swivel joint. simple knee articulation. they gave him a removable cowl rather than the ability to stand without toppling over. that makes no sense to me. that's a stupid thing to do. The figure is the important part of the deal. the accessory is a mere gesture, a throwaway thing. nice to have but ultimately not essential. The figure should be right. it's the focus of the pack. if it can't do something as basic as stand up then there's little point doing it. The character is very top heavy so it's even more important to ensure it's well balanced. and even more important considering it's basically a fan favourite character. producing fan favourites is what helps keep a lot of people interested in the line. if they're going to make glaring errors like that it dispels the magic. makes no odds whether it comes with a stand or not. a fundamental of a figure is the ability to stand up.

I like the large accessories, they're cool to have but I'd rather the figure was as good as it can be than have something sub par and incomplete.

majikmonkee
03-28-2008, 09:54 AM
The scale thing is noticeable with those accessories, but if they were much larger, they'd probably package the figures as "deluxe" like they did with the first POTF orange carded figs and charge us ten bucks for them. Yeah, almost every ship that's been released for the 3 1/4 figures has been scaled down to some degree, so they're not the only things getting that treatment. As long as they don't make the figures themselves too small (or large) by comparison to the rest, I'm happy.