PDA

View Full Version : Arguably the Best....Lets discuss

Kidhuman
10-16-2007, 09:42 PM
So, the best albums of all time. many say they are arguably the best. Here they are:

Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Wildflowers - Tom Petty
Pearl Jam - Ten

These are the ones I hear most brought up in discussion.

Pink Floyd - Yes, 2 entries in the group. Dark Side of The Moon stayed on the top 200 list forever. Part of it had to do with people rebuying it on cassette, and Cd after vinyl.

The Wall - Hell, you heard it, great tracks laid out, great story telling. Journey into Roger Waters mind and see what makes him tick.

Pet Sounds - Wow, amazing album. Tracks include Sloop John B, God only Knows, Wouldnt it be nice and many others. Drove Brian Wilson mad trying to reproduce this album.

Sgt Peppers - Changed the face of Rock music as we know, and the Beatles did it for the 2nd time. Tracks include: When I'm 64, Sgt Peppers, A day in the Life, Lucy in the Sky. Beginning to end fantastic music.

Led Zeppelin IV - When the Levee breaks, somethings got to give and give it did. Zep's best album(IMO). Going to California, Stairway to Heaven, Battle of Evermore.

Pearl Jam - Groundbreaking album. Launched Grunge onto the scene in the early 90's. Evenflow, Jeremy, Oceans, Alive. A generation of musicians follwed them and still do.

Tom Petty - An odd one here, but tis album just plain old kicks ***. Wildflowers, You dont know how it feels, Its good to be king, Honey Bee. Deny this alum and you could be denying your passage to Heaven.

So, whats your opinion. Which of these alums is the best ever and why? I say you cant pick just one. I know I cant.

El Chuxter
10-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Totally agree on Pet Sounds, IV, The Wall, and Dark Side of the Moon.

I prefer Abbey Road to Sgt Pepper personally.

As much as I love Wildflowers, I think Full Moon Fever is a little better.

I'd add American Recordings (Johnny Cash); Achtung Baby (U2); Get Behind Me Satan (White Stripes); Superunknown (Soundgarden); Get Your Wings (Aerosmith); Electric Ladyland (Jimi); Kristofferson (duh); and, perhaps a dark horse contender, Bigger Better Faster More (4 Non Blondes), which is amazingly underrated.

JediTricks
10-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Achtung Baby over Joshua Tree? I'd definitely have to put U2's Joshua Tree in the running. But the reality is that it's way too subjective (Rolling Stone named Sgt. Pepper's the #1, which I'd definitely disagree with).

stillakid
10-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Donald F@gen - The Nightfly (stupid filter won't let me write his name properly)

U2 - Under a Blood Red Sky

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

El Chuxter
10-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Joshua Tree was more successful, but I find Achtung Baby to be more consistent, and the quality of the better songs is, well, better. "One" definitely trumps "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."

2-1B
10-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Donald F@gen - The Nightfly (stupid filter won't let me write his name properly)

It's not because of the potential derogatory slang, it's because the auto-censor hates Steely Dan.

lol

El Chuxter
10-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Well, they were named after a sex toy from The Naked Lunch, and their erudite jazz-rock consistently argues in favor of having sex with much younger women who may on occasion be your cousin. The autocensor can't censor the awesomeness of Steely Dan, so it must censor one of its members. It has a crush on Mr Becker and wouldn't censor him, ever.

Rocketboy
10-17-2007, 02:04 AM
Pearl Jam - Launched Grunge onto the scene in the early 90's. Ever heard of Nirvana's Nevermind?
As for PJ, I liked Vitalogy better.

As for one of my picks:
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple

stillakid
10-17-2007, 02:13 AM
It's not because of the potential derogatory slang, it's because the auto-censor hates Steely Dan.

lol

There is no auto-censor. All inquiries go straight to Chuck Norris and he decides what is acceptable.

jjreason
10-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Oddly enough, I just got Pet Sounds this past week. For some reason I thought it was created much later than 1966... I guess "God Only Knows" (my reason for buying the album - I've always loved this song and was excited about hearing what else Brian Wilson had created around this same time) is something I would have expected from an older Brian Wilson. Although it's still very Beach Boys sounding (which, to be honest, I was surprised about - I can take or leave them on any given day), I do like the record.

Apparently, Pet Sounds was heavily influenced by Rubber Soul - and was a big influence on the Beatles as they created Sgt. Pepper. Who knew?

Kidhuman
10-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Totally agree on Pet Sounds, IV, The Wall, and Dark Side of the Moon.

I prefer Abbey Road to Sgt Pepper personally.

As much as I love Wildflowers, I think Full Moon Fever is a little better.

I'd add American Recordings (Johnny Cash); Achtung Baby (U2); Get Behind Me Satan (White Stripes); Superunknown (Soundgarden); Get Your Wings (Aerosmith); Electric Ladyland (Jimi); Kristofferson (duh); and, perhaps a dark horse contender, Bigger Better Faster More (4 Non Blondes), which is amazingly underrated.

I thought about adding Jimi to the list, but he is an acquired taste. Some people wont even listen to it, while other people just love him. There is no in between with Jimi.

I would agree that Achtung Bay is better is an overall better album, but The Joshua Tree is the more "popular" of the two and people go for that one more for some reason.

4 Non Blondes alot of people look at as a one hit wonder with Whats up. I never heard the whole album, but would give it a sot. PM me the tracks on it and I will get them.

Ever heard of Nirvana's Nevermind?
As for PJ, I liked Vitalogy better.

As for one of my picks:
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple

Nirvana Nevermind - Original Release Date: September 24, 1991

Pearl Jam Ten - Original Release Date: August 27, 1991

By one month PJ edged out Nirvanas album. Alot of people tired of Nirvana quickly because of MTV replaying that video every damn hour on the hour. People still talk about Ten today as a damn great album and rightfully so. When people talk about Nirvana its the one song of the album, not the whole thing. The album that gets brought up alot for Nirvana is the Unplugged one.

stillakid
10-17-2007, 09:05 PM

By one month PJ edged out Nirvanas album. Alot of people tired of Nirvana quickly because of MTV replaying that video every damn hour on the hour. People still talk about Ten today as a damn great album and rightfully so. When people talk about Nirvana its the one song of the album, not the whole thing. The album that gets brought up alot for Nirvana is the Unplugged one.

Nirvana and Pearl Jam both suck so the argument is pointless.

2-1B
10-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Ten is the only PJ album I really got into. Some of the newer ones might be good, I just never gave them a listen. Vs was a let down for me but still decent, and then I couldn't get into Vitalogy.

I like Chux' nomination of Get Your Wings, that really is a solid record from start to finish. Not a weak point on the album in my opinion. :)

JediTricks
10-17-2007, 11:30 PM
I find Achtung Baby to be a little more gimmicky and pop-themed, Joshua Tree is a solid album start to finish, and I don't think it's just because it's "popular", I think it's popular because it's a better album. Rolling Stone ain't gonna name it the #26 of 500 top albums merely because it has more sales.

Get Your Wings, "Aerosmith", and Toys in the Attic all deliver pretty solidly, but I'm not sure which I'd pick as the best of those 3.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-18-2007, 01:53 AM

By one month PJ edged out Nirvanas album. Alot of people tired of Nirvana quickly because of MTV replaying that video every damn hour on the hour. People still talk about Ten today as a damn great album and rightfully so. When people talk about Nirvana its the one song of the album, not the whole thing. The album that gets brought up alot for Nirvana is the Unplugged one.Pearl Jam may have released their album first, but Nirvana was the one that got the attention first. I didn't tire of Nirvana because I moved past "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and enjoyed most of the rest of the album a lot more. I then went back and got Bleach, which I liked quite a bit. In Utero was pretty good as well. To me, their unplugged album was exactly what an unplugged album should be. A mix of old songs and new, along with some unexpected cover tunes. In retrospect, knowing that Kurt would be dead a few months later, it has a greater effect. Likewise with the posthumous single, "You Know You're Right." That song sounds like a suicide note.

Pearl Jam's Ten was such a huge album then, I was surprised to later learn that there were no Top 40 hits from it. It seems they only made the Mainstream Rock and Modern Rock lists. Their first Top 40 hit was "Tremor Christ", which I don't remember hearing on the radio at the time. I only recall the local station playing "Betterman". I liked Vs. better than Ten. I was a bit disappointed with Vitalogy, but there were several good songs on it. I didn't get their next two albums until years later, and haven't really gotten into them as much.

Here are a few of my favorite all-time albums that I actually own:

Tori Amos - Under The Pink
Boston - self-titled debut
The Cars - self-titled debut
Fugazi - 13 Songs (not necessarily my favorite Fugazi album, but hard to pick one, so I picked the first, which actually combines two previous EPs)
PJ Harvey - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea
Pixies - Surfer Rosa (this is what Nirvana was trying to emulate with "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and the Nevermind album)
Rush - Moving Picture
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Stone Temple Pilots - Tiny Music...Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings And Food

Of the albums Kidhuman mentioned in the original post, I only own Ten. I have the two Led Zeppelin box sets, so technically I have all the songs from Led Zeppelin IV. I've not heard all of Wildflowers or Pet Sounds I think I agree with Chux about Full Moon Fever and jjreason about "God Only Knows". I've probably heard all of Sgt. Pepper's, but can't recall what some of songs sound like. Definitely a landmark album though. Both Pink Floyd albums are great, but I don't care much for side two of Dark Side of the Moon except for "Money", and The Wall can be difficult to listen to all the way through, especially back in the day of having to flip the album over and then putting on a second album and then flipping that one over. I think I'd go with Wish You Were Here instead.

JediTricks
10-18-2007, 09:51 PM
I need to add "Dethalbum" by Dethklok, that album rules. Sure it's based on a cartoon, but it's a damn good metal album, I'd say the best modern metal in 15 years.

Exhaust Port
10-24-2007, 05:20 PM
...I'd say the best modern metal in 15 years.

I would say Down put out some of the best metal in the last 15 years. Their first album NOLA is probably their strongest IMO. They've got a killer lineup for sure.

My other candidate is Soulfly. Max Cavalera turned out to be the heart of Sepultura as that band has never been the same or as good since he left.

Another band I'm intrigued by is DragonForce. I don't own any of their albums but thanks to YouTube I've caught a number of their songs. I first checked them out because of the amazingly fast guitar work they showcase but I came to really like the songs. They are a real throwback to classic heavy metal that was lost when grunge showed up in '91.

El Chuxter
10-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Aside from classic bands like the Scorpions or (kinda) Velvet Revolver, who are still putting out top-notch material, I'd have to say that the best modern metal band is System of a Down.

And for the Aerosmith question, I generally side with Get Your Wings of late, though the first three albums are all so solid that it's tough to pick a favorite. I sometimes favor Aerosmith or Toys in the Attic.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Here are my top five albums:

5. Cream - Disraeli Gears
"Dance the Night Away" and "We're Going Wrong" are both beautiful songs. Most of the other songs are great too; "Mother's Lament" is just funny as hell.

4. Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy
I like this one better than IV, for some reason. IV seems to fall apart on the B-side (though "Going to California" is one of my favorites) but HOTH (heh) is great all the way through ("The Rain Song" is the best on there).

3. The Beatles - Abbey Road
Like Chux, I prefer this one to Sgt. Pepper's. I love the medley in the second half, and the first half has some of their best work.

2. Queen - A Night At The Opera
Amazing from start to finish. I don't think this (or Queen in general) usually gets the accolades it deserves. "I'm In Love With My Car," "'39," "Love Of My Life," and of course, "Bohemian Rhapsody." Just so damn good.

1. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
I prefer this to Dark Side of the Moon; it's more simple and more emotional. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and the title track are sad as hell but great. The best work from my favorite band.

I think it's worth noting that none of these albums are over 50 minutes. Albums that are over that tend to get boring near the end, I've found.

El Chuxter
10-24-2007, 07:04 PM
I think it's worth noting that none of these albums are over 50 minutes. Albums that are over that tend to get boring near the end, I've found.

Except for Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, which belongs on this list as well. Heck, both of the Use Your Illusion albums are pretty long, too, and they're both only half of a super-long whole that only collapses at the end because Axl was a d**k and threw that POS "My World" on as the last song without consulting with the rest of the band. (Word is, that decision is what made Izzy quit.)

JediTricks
10-24-2007, 10:17 PM
After all these years, I still feel that Use Your Illusion is an overproduced album and too much of an emotional departure from Appetite - I can really hold a grudge, eh? :p

CaptainSolo1138
11-18-2007, 09:52 AM
After all these years, I still feel that Use Your Illusion is an overproduced album and too much of an emotional departure from Appetite - I can really hold a grudge, eh? :pOverproduced? Absolutely. Not Appetite? Absolutely. Still awesome 15 years later? Absolutely.

2-1B
11-18-2007, 10:07 AM
I still listen to UYI 1 and 2 on my headphones at work...good stuff overall.

DarthBrandon
11-18-2007, 12:21 PM
So, the best albums of all time. many say they are arguably the best. Here they are:

Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Wildflowers - Tom Petty
Pearl Jam - Ten

These are the ones I hear most brought up in discussion.

Pink Floyd - Yes, 2 entries in the group. Dark Side of The Moon stayed on the top 200 list forever. Part of it had to do with people rebuying it on cassette, and Cd after vinyl.

The Wall - Hell, you heard it, great tracks laid out, great story telling. Journey into Roger Waters mind and see what makes him tick.

Pet Sounds - Wow, amazing album. Tracks include Sloop John B, God only Knows, Wouldnt it be nice and many others. Drove Brian Wilson mad trying to reproduce this album.

Sgt Peppers - Changed the face of Rock music as we know, and the Beatles did it for the 2nd time. Tracks include: When I'm 64, Sgt Peppers, A day in the Life, Lucy in the Sky. Beginning to end fantastic music.

Led Zeppelin IV - When the Levee breaks, somethings got to give and give it did. Zep's best album(IMO). Going to California, Stairway to Heaven, Battle of Evermore.

Pearl Jam - Groundbreaking album. Launched Grunge onto the scene in the early 90's. Evenflow, Jeremy, Oceans, Alive. A generation of musicians follwed them and still do.

Tom Petty - An odd one here, but tis album just plain old kicks ***. Wildflowers, You dont know how it feels, Its good to be king, Honey Bee. Deny this alum and you could be denying your passage to Heaven.

So, whats your opinion. Which of these alums is the best ever and why? I say you cant pick just one. I know I cant.

If I had to pick just one, I'd go with Zepplin or Pearl Jam. Zepplin because they just were way ahead of their time & Pearl Jam because it was a ground breaking solid album.

Some of my favs are:
1.) Zepplin (Led Zeppelin IV) (Box set if you want it all)
2.) Bon Jovi ((Slippery when wet (Have the original album cover:D))
3.) Pearl Jam (Ten)
4.) Guns & Roses (Appetite for Destruction) (Best they ever did)
5.) Metallica (Ride The lightning & Master Of Puppets)
6.) Meatloaf (Bat Out Of Hell) (Simply one of the best ever)
7.) Def Leppard (Hysteria) (One Armed Drummer, need I say more)

JediTricks
11-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Still awesome 15 years later? Absolutely.All I can hear is Skwisgaar Skwigelf saying "...if you have lady-parts, maysbe."

Appetite has so many memorable tunes, Lose your Lunch 1 & 2 combined I think have a single one that's held up in societal consciousness to any degree. UYI 1 & 2 were such big sellers when they came out, but now they're mainly forgotten albums.

2-1B
11-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Which song are you talking about, JT ?

You Could Be Mine, which was immortalized in Terminator 2 ?

JediTricks
11-18-2007, 04:09 PM
November Rain. I don't even remember the one you mentioned.

2-1B
11-18-2007, 04:16 PM
They played it during the scene where the kid from Pecker was out riding his motorbike. The video for You Could Be Mine had a new scene at the end where Arnie locks down on GNR as they exit a club and the terminator's CPU analyzes Axl as "waste of ammo" lol

There were descriptions for Duff and Slash as well but I don't recall...

EDIT: here's a link - I love this song !!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlzptZ9wieQ

Exhaust Port
11-18-2007, 04:22 PM
I never was a fan of GNR (I do like a few of their songs though) but I remember friends who where didn't care for UYI when it came out. It seemed the sales were driven by fan loyalty which lead to the long term success diminishing quickly. I always saw the increased obscene actions by Axle put off a lot of fans around that time too.

For me I can't limit "Best/Favorite albums" to one list as I've always seen different musical periods as reflections of different times in my life. For example, "grunge" kicked off as I entered college and it will always remind me of that time.

Best of the 90's

1. Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
2. Jellyfish - Bellybutton
3. Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
4. Mother Love Bone - Mother Love Bone
5. Pearl Jam - Ten
6. Stone Temple Pilots - Core
7. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
8. Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
9. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
10. Metallica - Black Album

Classic Rock

1. Pink Floyd - The Wall
2. Led Zeppelin - II
3. Rush - 2112
4. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - So Far
5. Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
6. Pink Floyd - Animals

JediTricks
11-18-2007, 04:42 PM
They played it during the scene where the kid from Pecker was out riding his motorbike. The video for You Could Be Mine had a new scene at the end where Arnie locks down on GNR as they exit a club and the terminator's CPU analyzes Axl as "waste of ammo" lol

There were descriptions for Duff and Slash as well but I don't recall...

EDIT: here's a link - I love this song !!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlzptZ9wieQI didn't remember that song at ALL.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-18-2007, 06:07 PM
I didn't remember that song at ALL.

Then you must not have been paying attention. I didn't have the albums, though I think one of my college roommates may have had one or both of them. I remember the following songs:

"Live and Let Die"
"Don't Cry"
"November Rain"
"Civil War"
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
"You Could Be Mine"

I'd have to listen to the rest to see if they sound familiar.

Exhaust Port
11-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah, these songs were played A LOT when UYI hit the stores. It was pretty tough to not hear GNR during the 9 months or so after it's release. "November Rain" was in pretty heavy rotation on MTV too from what I remember. I think "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" is the only song (with the very occasional November Rain) to make an appearance on the radio today.

jjreason
11-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Boy, Exhaust Port, we must have gone through university at the same time - your list of 90s albums would have about 6, maybe 7 in overlap with mine!

I haven't heard enough My Bloody Valentine to be able to include an album (but what I have heard rocked ***).

I just listened to "In Utero" for the first time in a LONG time today - talk about some bloody loud self loathing. Great album. My 90's looks like this (I won't rank them):

Hole - Live Through This (yes, Courtney's a tramp, but this album shines)
Nirvana - In Utero
Pearl Jam - Ten ("VS" was a HUGE letdown for me, and "Vitalogy" I found nearly unlistenable when it came out)
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Dinosaur Jr. - Where You Been
Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand
Sebadoh - Bakesale
Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

I'm wondering if Nine Inch Nails "Pretty Hate Machine" should be on there instead of Red Hot, and might have to adjust to find a spot for Pixies' "Bossanova" as well.... for Canadian Content I need to get Sloan's "Twice Removed" up there, and where am I going to fit "Achtung Baby"? Tough list to make - these are still all my favorite albums.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Boy, Exhaust Port, we must have gone through university at the same time - your list of 90s albums would have about 6, maybe 7 in overlap with mine!

I haven't heard enough My Bloody Valentine to be able to include an album (but what I have heard rocked ***).

I just listened to "In Utero" for the first time in a LONG time today - talk about some bloody loud self loathing. Great album. My 90's looks like this (I won't rank them):

Nirvana - In Utero
Pearl Jam - Ten ("VS" was a HUGE letdown for me, and "Vitalogy" I found nearly unlistenable when it came out)
Sebadoh - Bakesale

I'm wondering if Nine Inch Nails "Pretty Hate Machine" should be on there instead of Red Hot, and might have to adjust to find a spot for Pixies' "Bossanova" as well.... for Canadian Content I need to get Sloan's "Twice Removed" up there, and where am I going to fit "Achtung Baby"? Tough list to make - these are still all my favorite albums.From that list jj, I have all but Soungarden, Guided By Voices, Sebadoh and RHCP. I've been considering Sebadoh. I don't really remember them from back then, but remember the name I think. When I started listening to Indie Pop Rocks on somafm.com a few years ago, I heard "Not Too Amused" on there and really liked that song. I think it sounded familiar, so I may have heard it before then. I've checked out the sound clips on iTunes and it sounds worth getting the whole thing and not just that track, but I'm not buying many whole CDs these days.

The RHCP album is good, and I find that I've liked a lot of their singles since then, but I still don't have any of their albums. I did put a few from that album on a mix tape years ago.

I'm not familiar enough with Guided By Voices. I think I may have heard them on Indie Pop Rocks, but don't recall what it sounded like. I sometimes get them confused with Built to Spill.

Being close to Canada, I hear a lot of stuff that's popular up there but not so much down here. Thus, I've heard of Sloan. I first heard of them listening to a late night show called Brave New Waves. I figured they would just be one of those bands you would only hear on shows like that or a college station. Then years later I hear the song "Money City Maniacs" on CFOX, a mainstream station. That was a good tune, but not from the album you mentioned.

2-1B
11-18-2007, 09:54 PM
The thing with the GNR UYI discs is this...I love all those singles that they released but I LOVE the other stuff even more, like "Double Talkin Jive" and ""You Ain't The First" so that's probably why I see those discs as more solid than other folks might see them. I will say this though, there was NO reason to do an alt version of Don't Cry.

Speaking of reasons ;) I agree with JJ's assessment of the Pearl Jam discs. :thumbsup:

My favorite 90s albums ? That's tough...Ten was a good disc, I love the 2 Aerosmith discs that came out in the 90s, I really liked KISS' Unplugged, I guess I was never into Chili Peppers, Beasties, Pumpkins, etc.

I liked SOME Soundgarden and SOME Nirvana but never went nuts about them.

Tough call to rank the 90s.

Exhaust Port
11-18-2007, 11:35 PM

I was in college from '91-'98. Yes that was full time and yes, I know it was 7 years. :)

Well as luck should have it there is some rumblings that they are reuniting for another album. I hadn't listened to MBV in a while until I saw "Lost in Translation" in the theater and got excited to hear them in the movie. The soundtrack is one of my favorites now and it includes 1 MBV song as well as a few by Kevin Shields from MBV.

Nirvana - In Utero
Sebadoh - Bakesale

I'm wondering if Nine Inch Nails "Pretty Hate Machine" should be on there instead of Red Hot, and might have to adjust to find a spot for Pixies' "Bossanova" as well.... for Canadian Content I need to get Sloan's "Twice Removed" up there, and where am I going to fit "Achtung Baby"? Tough list to make - these are still all my favorite albums.

For me NIN "Pretty Hate Machine" is from my high school era as it's a 1989 album. Red Hot Chili Peppers - BSSM is also a great album from college too and needs to be on the list (argh, I ran out of room). I collect rock art and have a good number of bands from the 90's including Sebadoh and Guided by Voices. Not on my musical list but on my artistic list. :)

Thinking again about my college list I need to squeeze Faith No More - Angel Dust in there somewhere. Man, I love that album.

Late 80's/High School

1. Def Leppard - Hysteria
2. Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
3. NIN - Pretty Hate Machine
4. Winger - Winger (sorry about this one, it's crap I know)
5. White Lion - Pride
6. AC/DC - Who Made Who
7. Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses
8. Depeche Mode - Violator
9. Faith No More - The Real Thing
10. Metallica - ...And Justice for All

Mad Slanted Powers
11-18-2007, 11:52 PM
My favorite 90s albums ? That's tough...Ten was a good disc, I love the 2 Aerosmith discs that came out in the 90s,It was around the early 90's or perhaps earlier that I discovered Aerosmith's early stuff. I had heard some of the hits before, but I made tapes from my brother's LPs for their debut, Rocks and Toys in the Attic. Those were all pretty solid albums, but I didn't care for all that Crazy Amazing Crying stuff. I believe that was an SNL sketched where they made fun of all those songs. I did like that "Deuces Are Wild" song from that Beavis & Butt-Head compilation though. That was a pretty good disc.

El Chuxter
11-19-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm with Caesar; the best tracks from UYI were the ones that weren't popular:

You Ain't the First
Double Talkin' Jive
Right Next Door to Hell
Dust and Bones
Pretty Tied Up (The Perils of Rock & Roll Decadence)
So Fine
Don't Cry (Alternate Lyrics) [Of the two, I like this one more. But you're right: there was no reason to include both.]
Dead Horse
The Garden
Bad Apple
Coma

As for the best album of the 90s, I think a few great blues albums by some younguns (and one by an old fart) should be considered:
Shannon Curfman: Loud Guitars, Big Suspicions
Jonny Lang: Lie to Me
Susan Tedeschi: Just Won't Burn
Kenny Wayne Shepherd: Trouble Is...
Eric Clapton: Unplugged

2-1B
11-19-2007, 12:15 AM
MSP, the cuts I like from Get a Grip are
Livin on the Edge, Flesh, Eat the Rich, Get a Grip, Shut up and Dance, and Fever.

I was 15 when that CD came out so I've been a big fan of it for nearly half my life. :grin:

jjreason
11-19-2007, 06:57 PM
I was in college from '91-'98. Yes that was full time and yes, I know it was 7 years. :)

For me NIN "Pretty Hate Machine" is from my high school era as it's a 1989 album. Red Hot Chili Peppers - BSSM is also a great album from college too and needs to be on the list (argh, I ran out of room). I collect rock art and have a good number of bands from the 90's including Sebadoh and Guided by Voices. Not on my musical list but on my artistic list. :)

Cool - I was 91-95. Pretty Hate Machine I didn't get until the Downward Spiral was huge.... 1993? I assumed Pretty Hate Machine would have been only a year or two prior to that.

I guess that means Ritual de lo Habitual doesn't fit on the list either... it must have been late 80's as well.

jjreason
11-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Double post - sue me. :p

MSP - Sebadoh is where Lou Barlow went after he split from J Mascis and Dino Jr. The two bands are pretty closely linked musically, though I'd say most of the pi$$ & vinegar stayed with Dino - Sebadoh is much more laid back for the most part.... but still heavy, if such a thing is possible.

Bakesale and Harmacy are very, very, very good records... you can't go wrong with either of those. Of interest, Barlow's "solo" soundtrack to the amazingly depressing suicide movie "Kids" is also full of quite good stuff apparently, but I'm not able to add my own opinion as I haven't heard it.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-19-2007, 07:59 PM
I didn't discover Dinosaur Jr. until Where You Been. A college roommate had that, Green Mind and Bug. I think I liked Green Mind the best overall. The first time I heard Dinosaur Jr, I thought it sounded like a Neil Young tape being eaten up. That wasn't necessarily a bad thing, though. It wasn't until a few years ago that I realized I'd had his name wrong. I thought it was J Masics instead of J Mascis.

jjreason
11-19-2007, 08:33 PM
I have Green Mind but not Bug. I believe Lou Barlow played on Bug (maybe not though, he may have done the one album before that and left)... I always remember that there are many, many records out there that I need to get & listen to during discussions like these!!!

Either way, Green Mind is pretty much every bit as good as Where You Been - the two go together perfectly (much like Bakesale and Harmacy, now that I think about it, or Harvest and After the Goldrush.... flipsides of the same coin or something).

One last thing about Dino - Lou Barlow did come back to J for their most recent LP (last year's "Beyond"), which to me didn't break any new ground. Not bad by any stretch, but not the glowing beacon of modern rock I was hoping for. :D

Exhaust Port
11-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Cool - I was 91-95. Pretty Hate Machine I didn't get until the Downward Spiral was huge.... 1993? I assumed Pretty Hate Machine would have been only a year or two prior to that.

I guess that means Ritual de lo Habitual doesn't fit on the list either... it must have been late 80's as well.

I had to check but it came out in '90 so it qualifies as a 90's album but I remember Been Caught Stealing was pretty big my senior year.

I had a drafting class where the teacher let us play what ever music we wanted while we worked. One kid, who was a year ahead of us, took it upon himself to make our music selections for us. I was exposed to a lot of great music during the period with Pretty Hate Machine being the big standout. It's pretty interesting where such musical influences come from. For me, that class in high school and a roommate my first year in college really exposed me to some outstanding music. Mr. Bungle anyone?

Kidhuman
11-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Double post - Bite me Grimlock

Fixed it JJ

jjreason
11-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Bahhh.... that big orange tub-o-grease never scared me anyhow, KH... but thanks all the same. :D

El Chuxter
11-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Grimlock is silver, not orange.

Or maybe he turns orange when he starts mixing beer, tequila, and Malibu into a tasty mixed drink.

Exhaust Port
11-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Which Malibu? The banana is pretty good. Does Grimlock like banana's?

2-1B
11-20-2007, 12:12 AM
Not that he'll admit to...

bigbarada
11-20-2007, 12:37 AM
I find Achtung Baby to be a little more gimmicky and pop-themed, Joshua Tree is a solid album start to finish, and I don't think it's just because it's "popular", I think it's popular because it's a better album. Rolling Stone ain't gonna name it the #26 of 500 top albums merely because it has more sales.

I'd pick Joshua Tree over Achtung Baby anyday. In fact, Achtung Baby is probably one of my least favorite U2 albums. Joshua Tree has been one of my all-time favorites for 20 years now. I was sick of Achtung Baby by 1992.

Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison definitely deserves a spot as one of the greatest of all time.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-20-2007, 12:44 AM
For U2, I prefer War.

bigbarada
11-20-2007, 02:12 AM
The Cure Disintegration is another one of the greatest albums of all time.

Wouldn't "all-time" encompass every genre of music? If so then the original 1977 Star Wars soundtrack should also make the list. It completely revolutionized movie soundtracks and made classical music popular again. In fact, we take for granted just how much that one record changed everything.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-20-2007, 02:52 AM
The Cure Disintegration is another one of the greatest albums of all time.

Wouldn't "all-time" encompass every genre of music? If so then the original 1977 Star Wars soundtrack should also make the list. It completely revolutionized movie soundtracks and made classical music popular again. In fact, we take for granted just how much that one record changed everything.Indeed. Usually when you think of classical music, you think of stuff that was written a long time ago. However, many of the great works of classical music were written for operas or were inspired by books or plays. Now, we often hear bits and pieces of them used in movies, TV shows or commercials, but we often don't hear the entire work. A hundred years from now, I'm sure the Star Wars theme, and probably the Imperial March as well, will be appearing on collections of the greatest classical works of all time. People will still be as familiar with it as much as they are with the works of those great composers of the past.

Blue2th
11-20-2007, 09:50 AM
For me I can't limit "Best/Favorite albums" to one list as I've always seen different musical periods as reflections of different times in my life. For example, "grunge" kicked off as I entered college and it will always remind me of that time.

Best of the 90's

1. Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
2. Jellyfish - Bellybutton
3. Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
4. Mother Love Bone - Mother Love Bone
5. Pearl Jam - Ten
6. Stone Temple Pilots - Core
7. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
8. Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
9. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
10. Metallica - Black Album

"Jar of Flies" is one of the best of the 90's.

I can't believe someone here actually picked the Jellyfish. They are musical geniuses.
One of the members formed a group with a one-off album.
Jason Falkner of the Jellyfish and others formed the Grays.

The Grays "RoShamBo" is my absolute favorite album of the 90's. A masterpiece.

Exhaust Port
11-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Oh, I'll have to check that out.

Since the Jellyfish are no more they were pretty low on my music radar. I recently found that they had released a box set a few years ago with tons of great live tracks and b-sides. Unfortunately the box set isn't available anymore and it goes for over $200 used now. Darn.

BTW, we chose "I wanna stay home" as our first dance. Awesome! :D

jjreason
11-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Another vote for "Jar of Flies" here - it was supposed to be on my list yet escaped at the last second. Absolutely beautiful.

JediTricks
11-21-2007, 04:09 AM
Then you must not have been paying attention. I didn't have the albums, though I think one of my college roommates may have had one or both of them. I remember the following songs:

"Live and Let Die"
"Don't Cry"
"November Rain"
"Civil War"
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
"You Could Be Mine"

I'd have to listen to the rest to see if they sound familiar.Covers don't count, Live and Let Die and Knocking on Heaven's Door are too easy because we already knew them before the GnR versions. I sorta recognize the title to Don't Cry, but I couldn't tell you 1 single note of it at this point. And I was paying attention, it was inundating around my area at the time. My point was and still is that as big as those songs WERE, they're largely forgotten within a few years - sure, my sister can recite New Kids on the Block lyrics even today, that doesn't mean those tunes held strong once their time was mercifully up. I bet you could ask 10 random people to name their 3 favorite tunes off UYI and you'd get blank stares 9 out of 10 times.

MSP, the cuts I like from Get a Grip are
Livin on the Edge, Flesh, Eat the Rich, Get a Grip, Shut up and Dance, and Fever.

I was 15 when that CD came out so I've been a big fan of it for nearly half my life. :grin:All solid tracks, I'll have to look through my Aerosmith playlist but I think those are the only ones I ever play from that album - except Fever, it's not quite "there" for me (my list has Walk on Down and the album intro on it, which gets a little annoying on shuffle - same thing with Judas Priest and The Hellion).

I had to check but it came out in '90 so it qualifies as a 90's album but I remember Been Caught Stealing was pretty big my senior year.Holy crap did that song hit big for a few months when it came out, radio and MTV just overplayed the hell out of it whenever I was paying attention. For me, it was an ok tune that got played out fast which revealed that it's too thin for my tastes.

It's weird to see all this '90s talk, that was my era but I never was into the music, to me after about '92 the music just declined faster and faster - that's around the time I stopped listening to commercial radio (and now that I'm driving, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I shouldn't have stayed there, LA radio sucks hard!).

I'd pick Joshua Tree over Achtung Baby anyday. In fact, Achtung Baby is probably one of my least favorite U2 albums. Joshua Tree has been one of my all-time favorites for 20 years now. I was sick of Achtung Baby by 1992.I felt roughly the same about AB at the time, in retrospect there are a lot of listenable songs on it, just nowhere near the same caliber of Joshua Tree. But AB is when U2 went too gimmicky and pop for my tastes, it's like a second band with all the same people emerged... or maybe Rattle & Hum, the signs were all there.

Wouldn't "all-time" encompass every genre of music? If so then the original 1977 Star Wars soundtrack should also make the list. It completely revolutionized movie soundtracks and made classical music popular again. In fact, we take for granted just how much that one record changed everything.I'm sorry, I can't give you that one only because the pre-SE versions of the album are too truncated. The whole soundtrack to the film is full of signatures, there isn't one moment on the ANH SE set that doesn't feel vital, but the earlier versions do away with far too many pieces. And the SE version somehow doesn't seem to have legs with the masses despite being an amazing piece of work.

Uncle Salty
11-29-2007, 02:02 AM
anything by aerosmith. except for rock in a hard place. that one sucks but it's not really aerosmith since 40% of them were absent and replaced by guys that fell back into obscurity once joe and brad came back and reclaimed their rightful places.

we used to joke in school because my sister is named janie and she was in high school when "janie's got a gun" was popular, and it really made her mad to hear that song. it didn't stop me from wearing out three tapes of "pump" and finally buying it on cd.

Blue2th
11-29-2007, 08:56 AM
Aerosmith was my favorite band back in the day. And yeah "Uncle Salty" was one of my favorite songs.
Right up to "Draw the Line" every song on every album rocked. No duds!
Everything after that was ok, but I just couldn't get into them as much when they started using horn sections, and orchestration. (though they had a little bit of that on "Toys in the Attic")
I know they had to change with the times to survive, and it was excellent to see them go farther than they did in the early years, but for me personally the early stuff is the best.
Without a doubt my favorite American band.

I'm know there are Van Halen fans who feel the same way when Dave quit. (though other than "Rock in a Hard Place" Aerosmith still has it's original line-up)

BTW: "Van Halen 1" has got to be on the arguably best albums of all time.

JON9000
11-29-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm sorry, I can't give you that one only because the pre-SE versions of the album are too truncated. The whole soundtrack to the film is full of signatures, there isn't one moment on the ANH SE set that doesn't feel vital, but the earlier versions do away with far too many pieces. And the SE version somehow doesn't seem to have legs with the masses despite being an amazing piece of work.

Getting into soundtracks is treacherous, because the criteria upon which to judge gets hazy- they are not purely musical, if that makes sense.

What makes a great album based on a soundtrack, the quality and inventiveness of the music? It's use in conjunction with the film it appears in? Its ability to transcend the medium of film and become a part of not only the popular culture, but a keystone for a certain place, time, or thing? For example, is there anyone who has visited the more barren parts of the American southwest and not thought of Ennio Morricone's electric guitar, or seen a picture of or visited the Arabic desert and not thought of Maurice Jarre's score for Lawrence?

I love the music of Star Wars, but for me, it isn't quite up there. Of course, you're reading the words of somebody who thinks the March of the Jawas was the best song even though it fairly rips off the Colonel Bogey March , which was ironically then used in Spaceballs for the Dinks.

Oh, and the soundtrack for "Goldfinger" and "Vertigo" are genius far beyond Star Wars, although not as ubiquitous.

JediTricks
11-30-2007, 05:19 AM
IMO, Goldfinger is a little repetitious and "cute" towards the second half. It's good and fits well, but does have those aspects. I've never heard the soundtrack outside the movie though.

JON9000
11-30-2007, 09:13 AM
IMO, Goldfinger is a little repetitious and "cute" towards the second half. It's good and fits well, but does have those aspects. I've never heard the soundtrack outside the movie though.

I think it's strongest moments are the ones that might not come immediately to mind, such as the impending bisection by the laser, and the part where Bond finds the girl covered in gold paint. The music actually shimmers like the light reflected of the gold paint. When a composer is able to pull something like that off, I'm darned impressed.

JediTricks
11-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Both moments come in the first half of the film, and are powerful Bond moments because they both are "loss column" moments for him. To be honest, I don't even remember the music in the laser scene, I remember that piercing laser sound. Or do you mean their conversation BEFORE the laser?

JON9000
12-03-2007, 11:10 AM
The laser is on while the two are yapping about what Bond knows, then GF goes away for a sec while the laser draws closer, then they yap some more, and GF turns the laser off. Music is going the whole time, I think. The cue is your standard "slowly ratchet up the tension" number, but I think it works particularly well.

Now that I think about it, chimes, bells, and vibraphones seem to be the standard cue for the suggestion of "gold". "The Ecstasy of Gold" from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" (another great one) doesn't have the shimmering effect, but otherwise seems to work on the same level.

(For all you kids out there, the music was also used at the beginning of Jackass 2).

Blue2th
12-03-2007, 12:11 PM
I love the Spagetti Western music from "The good, the bad, and the ugly"

Speaking of movie soundtracks:

Emerald Forest
Legend (Tangerine Dream)

This is some excellent music, even if there weren't movies made. Though the movies just enhance the listening. A sort of cinematic experience in your head.

JON9000
12-03-2007, 01:08 PM
I love the Spagetti Western music from "The good, the bad, and the ugly"

All those Spaghetti Morricone scores are good, and they get lifted from all of the time, even for movies as oddly matched as "Election".

I recommend the foreign, extended version of "Once Upon a Time in the West" or "C'era Una Volta Il West"

Blue2th
12-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Yeah, you hear some of that in Quentin Tarantino's movies also. Though that maybe is more of a Dick Dale Surf kinda thing (love Surf music BTW)

It's good to hear original and adventurous music in movie sountracks, even though it may be identified in a certain genre.

What I dislike, is film makers using popular Classic Rock songs to sell their movies. Especially played for the film trailer.
Maybe it's because there's a song for every product on TV now. Everything from Viagra to insurance.

Though I do like it when a cool songs are used like "Forever Young" in Napoleon Dynamite.

JediTricks
12-03-2007, 04:01 PM
In The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, I think the music serves the film best when it's absent. It's a very good soundtrack but it best says something when it suddenly disappears and leaves the viewer realizing how stark those situations really are. Then it comes back to punctuate that moment, like a thriller, and it's twice the impact that way.

I don't want to get too soundtracky here, but James Horner's score for Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan is among the best, you can tell because he lifts it for almost everything he's done since. :p But it really lends that needed sense of military, of danger, of anticipation, of action, and eventually of meaning.

Exhaust Port
12-03-2007, 04:46 PM
My favorite "modern" Sci-Fi soundtrack is for the movie Gattaca by Michael Nyman. It's one of those movies where the soundtrack is the movie and vise versa.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-03-2007, 08:11 PM
What I dislike, is film makers using popular Classic Rock songs to sell their movies. Especially played for the film trailer.
Maybe it's because there's a song for every product on TV now. Everything from Viagra to insurance.I mainly hate it when they use songs that aren't in the movie. or don't really seem to fit. I think I recall hearing Kasabian's "Club Foot" in the trailer for Serenity.

I don't want to get too soundtracky here, but James Horner's score for Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan is among the best, you can tell because he lifts it for almost everything he's done since. :p But it really lends that needed sense of military, of danger, of anticipation, of action, and eventually of meaning.I really liked the music in that film. I think the music in the nebula chase, or at some point in one of the battles when we see the Reliant, really was a good fit.

JON9000
12-04-2007, 12:09 PM
James Horner's score for Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan is among the best, you can tell because he lifts it for almost everything he's done since. :p But it really lends that needed sense of military, of danger, of anticipation, of action, and eventually of meaning.

Well, it was one of his earliest, and it really does elevate the material. The score for TMP is the one that has become something of a minor classic, but II's is pretty darn close to it, if not better. I think TMP gets the nod because it really is almost completely musical throughout much of the film, as there isn't a whole lot happening other than accompaniment to fly-bys, fly-throughs, fly-overs, and whatnot. You really can't go wrong with either.

JediTricks
12-05-2007, 01:57 AM
I really liked the music in that film. I think the music in the nebula chase, or at some point in one of the battles when we see the Reliant, really was a good fit.Yeah, that part always gets my blood boiling, that score really fits so well with that film - it's so weird that he recycled parts for Aliens and every other movie trailer afterwards. :p

Well, it was one of his earliest, and it really does elevate the material. The score for TMP is the one that has become something of a minor classic, but II's is pretty darn close to it, if not better. I think TMP gets the nod because it really is almost completely musical throughout much of the film, as there isn't a whole lot happening other than accompaniment to fly-bys, fly-throughs, fly-overs, and whatnot. You really can't go wrong with either.I've grown to love TMP over the years, around the time I saw it when I was 14 it finally got into my head what was going on - I guess I just needed to see more TOS before it worked for me. But the music there is something different, more about the cinematic extension of Roddenberry's Trek than the Trek of the Movies which had a different feel. Like you said, the WOK score elevates the material, but I'd also suggest that the TMP one is more about telling the story than punctuating it.

Plus, the WOK military march themes and dark battle tunes just work on me every time.

JON9000
12-05-2007, 10:48 AM
I'd also suggest that the TMP one is more about telling the story than punctuating it.

Yeah, and I left this bit out: it basically creates the V'ger character almost by itself, with its use of the "blaster beam" for the alien motif, and gives V'ger its enormous scale. Next time you watch it, notice when the cloud ends and they see the alien ship... the music segues into a pipe organ, which, if you are watching with a well equipped home theater, should really rock.

JediTricks
12-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Even without a home theater, like I have just a bookshelf stereo, the pipe organ and blaster (it's a big spring in a tube) definitely lend a sense of largeness to it, though the blaster also is a little too oblique for a while.

El Chuxter
12-08-2007, 02:12 AM
This (http://youtube.com/watch?v=IhGZdSkX6IM) is the new winner. The minute that performance was captured for posterity, they should've just stopped recording anything else.

A song written by a member of the Carter Family, about her secret love. Originally recorded by her sister, then covered by her lover, who made it one of his signature songs and a huge hit. Here covered by one of the very, very few men who are actually on the same level as Mr Cash, and (hard as it is to imagine) improved upon.

Look upon Mr Charles' works, ye mighty, and despair. You will never be this good.

JediTricks
12-08-2007, 03:17 AM
I know you'll probably overreact to this Chux, but I didn't think he really delivered anything particularly great there, just standard Ray Charlsing of the tune, nothing inspired out of that to me.

El Chuxter
12-08-2007, 04:02 AM
Oh, to bid JT good day or not...?

Dude, Ray Charles is a god among men. The ancient Greeks worshipped him.

jjreason
12-08-2007, 01:01 PM
I know I'm taking steps backwards here, but to forget Weezer's blue covered album when discussing best of the 90's was way too ridiculous for me not to bring up.

It's still amazing, track by track by beautiful track. :thumbsup:

"I've got Dungeon Masters' guide,
I've got 12 sided die,
I've got Kitty Pryde
and Nightcrawler too,
waiting there for me
Yes I do! I do!"

Any geek claiming to NOT love this record is out to lunch. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
12-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Oh, to bid JT good day or not...?

Dude, Ray Charles is a god among men. The ancient Greeks worshipped him.Did you ever hear that Flip Wilson routine about Christopher Columbus? That's why the Queen finally agreed to fund his trip.

Queen Isabel Johnson: "Ray Charles? You gonna find Ray Charles? He in America?"

Christopher Columbus: "Damn right, that's where all those records come from."

I know I'm taking steps backwards here, but to forget Weezer's blue covered album when discussing best of the 90's was way too ridiculous for me not to bring up.

It's still amazing, track by track by beautiful track. :thumbsup:

"I've got Dungeon Masters' guide,
I've got 12 sided die,
I've got Kitty Pryde
and Nightcrawler too,
waiting there for me
Yes I do! I do!"

Any geek claiming to NOT love this record is out to lunch. :DThat's an excellent album. :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
12-08-2007, 03:31 PM
I know I'm taking steps backwards here, but to forget Weezer's blue covered album when discussing best of the 90's was way too ridiculous for me not to bring up. That's still my favorite album of all time. Like jj alluded to, there's not a bad track on the entire album. "Buddy Holly" may be overplayed and "Only in Dreams" may drag on a bit too long, but I'd take either of those tracks over almost any song ever. Yeah, ever.

Plus, Brian Bell's stormtrooper helmet tshirt in the "Say It Ain't So" (http://youtube.com/watch?v=YU7LZts87Zg) video is sweet.

2-1B
12-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Overplayed but also overated and overannoying. ;)