PDA

View Full Version : M*a*s*h

stillakid
10-17-2007, 01:40 AM
I've always wondered who does the voice on the loudspeaker... you know, the guy who announces that there are wounded on the way. Is that guy ever mentioned by name or seen on screen? And who is the Actor?

TeeEye7
10-17-2007, 03:04 AM
If we can believe Wikipedia there were two actors:

Sal Viscuso and Todd Susman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M*A*S*H_(TV_series)
(Look under the "Trivia" section).

DarthQuack
10-17-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm a huge fan of the show, and was always disappointed we never got to see him on-camera. Even on the reunion show he wasn't talked about.

Droid
10-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Great point, stillakid. I always thought that was an oddity in the show. We saw Radar, and later Klinger, make the announcements whenever they were in the company clerk's office. There were many scenes that showed them make those announcements. But out in the compound you'd hear that mystery voice. Hawkeye, Trapper, and B.J. always had such clever things to say. You think they'd be friends with that voice that always said such witty things.

El Chuxter
10-17-2007, 03:36 PM
We also saw Larry Hama, who was essentially responsible for creating the GIJoe: A Real American Hero line.

stillakid
10-17-2007, 11:00 PM
I've been watching episodes on TVLand lately. In fact, at this very moment is an episode I don't ever remember seeing. Odd. This one is set entirely in Rosie's Bar.

DarthQuack
10-18-2007, 09:03 AM
That was a great one Still...they all just sat there and got wasted right? The more that came in, the more that stayed and drank.

JimJamBonds
10-23-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm still a huge M*A*S*H fan, every now and then I'll see an episode that I don't ever remembe seeing before. I'm suprised the Ox hasn't posted in this thread yet, she's a big fan as well.

bigbarada
11-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Have you ever noticed that the timeline in M*A*S*H just doesn't match up? In one of the early seasons, they date the episode as 1952 with Henry Blake, then several seasons later, one episode with Colonel Potter covers New Year's Eve 1950 thru New Year's Eve 1951.

But of course, what do you expect from a show that spends 11 years writing stories about a 3 year war?

Don't get me wrong, though, M*A*S*H is easily my favorite "sitcom" of all time.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-10-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm still a huge M*A*S*H fan, every now and then I'll see an episode that I don't ever remembe seeing before. I'm suprised the Ox hasn't posted in this thread yet, she's a big fan as well.

Oops, here I am. Wow JimJam, it's been awhile, but I remember us discussing the box set, which is FANTASTIC! I literally watch M*A*S*H everyday!

My all time fav is Alcoholics Unanimous, season three, where Frank outlaws alcohol and Hot lips, trapper and hawkeye get plastered...so good!

I just met Alan Alda and MIke Ferrel last month at the los angeles library, they did a sit down talk session for about an hour and signed their books, it was GREAT!

I LOVE M*A*S*H! :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
11-10-2007, 08:19 PM
There are only a few shows that I enjoy as much as MASH(Seinfeld, Futurama)....but I'll watch Seasons 1-3 over and over....my favorites by far, Adam's Rib is a classic....but the other seasons are fun as well....The bathtub that BJ and Hawkeye got was great!

JediTricks
11-11-2007, 02:47 AM
I just met Alan Alda and MIke Ferrel last month at the los angeles library, they did a sit down talk session for about an hour and signed their books, it was GREAT!Weren't the librarians P.O.ed when they ruined the library's books like that? ;)

I was watching a pre-Potter one tonight on TV Land and it still makes me a little blechy listening to that horrible canned laugh track. I know the DVDs have the option to turn it off (as I understand it, several releases in and STILL it's the only feature!) but I'm too cheap to buy 'em.

TeeEye7
11-11-2007, 02:01 PM
...and it still makes me a little blechy listening to that horrible canned laugh track.

I'm with you, JT. There ought to be a law! Laugh tracks suck. I never liked them, even as a kid. I always thought they were offensive. I always thought I'd decide what was funny, not what some fool with his finger on the button, triggering laughter from some disembodied audience. I think they're a crutch for a script. If it ain't funny, it ain't funny. If the script is successful, you'll get the laugh. And the Hollywood types will know it's funny/successful by the ratings.

JimJamBonds
11-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Oops, here I am. Wow JimJam, it's been awhile, but I remember us discussing the box set, which is FANTASTIC! I literally watch M*A*S*H everyday!

As do I!

I just met Alan Alda and MIke Ferrel last month at the los angeles library, they did a sit down talk session for about an hour and signed their books, it was GREAT!

Very cool 'Ox, very cool!

I LOVE M*A*S*H! :thumbsup:

As do I. :love:

JediTricks
11-13-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm with you, JT. There ought to be a law! Laugh tracks suck. I never liked them, even as a kid. I always thought they were offensive. I always thought I'd decide what was funny, not what some fool with his finger on the button, triggering laughter from some disembodied audience. I think they're a crutch for a script. If it ain't funny, it ain't funny. If the script is successful, you'll get the laugh. And the Hollywood types will know it's funny/successful by the ratings.Networks, especially in the '60s and '70s, were deathly afraid that audiences wouldn't know to laugh if they weren't cued to do so by hearing others do it - testing even showed this to be true, to a certain extent. So they shoehorned it into anything no matter how it was filmed, even some cartoons, it was just another way of ensuring their audience share stuck around. It's foul, but with MASH I think they were trying to ensure folks knew it was supposed to be a comedy even when it was rather dark and dismal and dramatic.

And you look at a show like Arrested Development or Futurama and they're hilarious but without a laugh track they somehow never gained as much an audience as they should have, so one wonders if maybe the audiences out there really ARE that stupid and need it spoonfed to them to keep quality on the air.

JimJamBonds
11-25-2007, 01:44 PM
The other day I saw an episode I couldn't remember seeing before. Potter, Burns, Hawkeye and BJ are on a bus coming back from a medical convention which is driven by Radar. They get lost, the bus breaks down and in the middle of the night Radar goes looking for help. A North Korean gives himself up to the surgeons... Radar comes back, the soldier gets the bus going and they leave. It was a very strange episode with only those 5 regulars and that one guest as the only people in the entire episode.

OC47150
12-04-2007, 08:23 PM
I used to watch MASH religiously when it originally aired and in reruns,

In recent years I hadn't watched it much until I stopped a rerun on Hallmark Channel. It was an older ep where the unit's families got together for a family reunion/party. It was an episode I remembered from way back when and still thoroughly enjoy it to this day.

The early episodes with Frank Burns are the best.

JimJamBonds
12-04-2007, 08:50 PM
I used to watch MASH religiously when it originally aired and in reruns,

In recent years I hadn't watched it much until I stopped a rerun on Hallmark Channel. It was an older ep where the unit's families got together for a family reunion/party. It was an episode I remembered from way back when and still thoroughly enjoy it to this day.

That one was just on (again) a week or two ago.

The early episodes with Frank Burns are the best.

Frank Burns eats worms!

Deoxyribonucleic
12-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Frank Burns eats worms!

hehehe

watching season 10, the Boxing Day episode, I LOVE the cook in the later seasons, he's hilarious and SO sarcastic.

JimJamBonds
12-04-2007, 09:44 PM
watching season 10, the Boxing Day episode...

Now you know why your CO needs to take so many naps during the day! :D