PDA

View Full Version : My home computer went down

bobafrett
10-17-2007, 10:20 AM
About a week ago or so, my computer at home caught a nasty virus, or something. I tried everything to rid it of whatever it was, to no avail. Then I had y son's friends come over yesterday, and they reformatted the hard drive. Now I get problems with the computers modem. When I go to device manager it shows next to the modem that it recognizes the one installed, but it won't recognize the one ethernet. I hate being as simple minded as I am. It just makes me mad when I can't figure stuff out on my own, and calling on a professional costs too much. Anyone here have any suggestions?

bobafrett
10-17-2007, 10:20 AM
By the way, I'm posting this from the public library.

Blue2th
10-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Get a new or used Mac dude. You won't have any virus problems ever again.

(waiting for the angry response from Apple-haters)

stillakid
10-17-2007, 01:22 PM
About a week ago or so, my computer at home caught a nasty virus, or something. I tried everything to rid it of whatever it was, to no avail. Then I had y son's friends come over yesterday, and they reformatted the hard drive. Now I get problems with the computers modem. When I go to device manager it shows next to the modem that it recognizes the one installed, but it won't recognize the one ethernet. I hate being as simple minded as I am. It just makes me mad when I can't figure stuff out on my own, and calling on a professional costs too much. Anyone here have any suggestions?

Knock on wood, I haven't had major issues with my PC for a while...

But when I do have a hardware issue, I go to the Device Manager and remove it... I think you right-click and delete it. It will ask if you really want to remove it...say YES...when you restart the computer, it will recognize that there is new thing and will (should) load the drivers.

darthvyn
10-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Get a new or used Mac dude. You won't have any virus problems ever again.

(waiting for the angry response from Apple-haters)

there is no apparent reason to buy an entirely new computer when the only thing that's going wrong is the ethernet card not being acknowledged.

i'm assuming that it is an expansion card, and not on the motherboard?

anyway, most likely you simply have to look for the correct drivers for the card. do you have the box it came in? or did it come with the system? if it came with the system, look up the specs of the machine you have and find out what brand of ethernet card it has. then download and install the appropriate drivers for that hardware. that should sort you out.

if it's on the motherboard, the only thing you can do is go out and buy a new ethernet card, then follow the directions in the package.

Dar' Argol
10-17-2007, 04:36 PM
The other thing you can do is open the case and look for the manufacturer name and model number on either the ethernet or the motherboard and search for the drivers that way.

2-1B
10-17-2007, 09:10 PM
When I read the thread title, I thought "that sounds like a very talented computer"...and was gonna ask where I could get one for myself. lol

stillakid
10-17-2007, 10:55 PM
When I read the thread title, I thought "that sounds like a very talented computer"...and was gonna ask where I could get one for myself. lol

God f'in dammit, I was lookin' for the joke in there and couldn't come up with it.

2-1B
10-17-2007, 10:56 PM
Deleted. I changed my mind, not gonna go into it. Please delete this post. lol

Frett I hope your computer problems get worked out soon.

Okay, this portion of the post can stay. :crazed:

bobafrett
11-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Back at the public library today. The only thing I have going on the computer now is the game Worms Armogeddon (sp?). It consumes me for everal rounds.

I will try some of the advice above.