PDA

View Full Version : CZ-4 Review

Engineernerd
10-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Hey all,

Sorry it's been awhile, work and stuff is crazy. But, I did score some new figures recently. And thougt I'd share my impressions with you as always.

Here's my review of CZ-4. Probably my favorite SW figure of the 30AC.

http://www.tvandfilmtoys.com/reviews/cz4.asp

Let me know what you think,
Engineernerd

PS. Be sure to check out the bottom picture of the review.

Snowtrooper
10-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Another good review.

I was pretty excited when I first saw pictures of this one. It definitely does not disappoint. There is an amazing amount of detail on the figure, especially through the arms. The face looks really good even though it may be a little bit off. The paint, as you pointed out, really gives the figure character. I like the POS appearance that it has.

I think that it is supposed to come apart at the midsection, to replicate the upper torso seen in Jabba's dungeon. Mine seems to come apart and go back together fairly easily. I'm guessing thats why there is alot of detail under the chestplate. You be the judge.

I had a minor issue with one of the hands. The left one will fall out when it is turned a certain way. I almost lost it this way taking it out of the package. My only real complaint.

I think the droid makes two appearances in ROTJ. Once in the dungeon of course and a brief glimpse somewhere in the palace. I'll have to watch it to see for sure.

plasticfetish
10-18-2007, 03:41 AM
Great review, and I agree... this is a really good figure.

Probably one of my favorites that's come out lately for all the obvious reasons: droid, obscure, well made, looks great, and not a clone. ;)

There are also photos of him in our database >> here (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=5306) BTW.

Engineernerd
10-20-2007, 06:21 PM
I think that it is supposed to come apart at the midsection, to replicate the upper torso seen in Jabba's dungeon. Mine seems to come apart and go back together fairly easily. I'm guessing thats why there is alot of detail under the chestplate. You be the judge.

You know, I thought about a trying to pull him apart. I just didn't want to take a chance on a figure I've seen exactly once. However, since you mentioned I tried it. I agree, the detailing on the peg pretty much indicates that the pull apart thing is intended.

I went back added a picture of his torso and legs, and a blurb about it.

Thanks for the info, Snowtrooper!

Engineernerd

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-27-2007, 05:24 PM
I find it ironic how everyone's praising Hasbro for "finally getting the battle damage right" when in the movies both CZ-3 (http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/8/83/CZ-3_1.jpg) and CZ-4 (http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/d/db/Cz-4.jpg) have very little weathering and are overall stark white. CZ-4 is fairly visible in Jabba's Palace (IIRC) when Luke and Han are taken before Jabba before they go to the Sarlacc, and part of why he's so easily visible in the background is that he's such a bright white.

With CZ-1 (http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/7/76/CZ-0R6.JPG) (also apparently known as CZ-0R6, before a memory wipe), it's harder to tell, since he could be somewhat weathered, but I think it's more the shadows than anything actually on him.

While his weathering is really nicely done, it's also horribly inaccurate.

plasticfetish
10-27-2007, 09:20 PM
I find it ironic how everyone's praising Hasbro for "finally getting the battle damage right"Errr... who is this "everyone" exactly?

Devo
10-27-2007, 09:25 PM
I noticed that too. I thought he should be whiter. Perhaps future repacks will be more accurate, colourwise. They surely will rerelease this one to represent the other CZs - hopefully repainted.

Snowtrooper
10-27-2007, 09:49 PM
It's true that the paint job is not movie accurate. Just compare it with the picture on the back. But I still really like the way that its painted. I'm sure a clean(or cleaner) version will be released in the future.

Engineernerd
10-28-2007, 09:57 AM
If you check out the databank entry for CZ-3, I think he looks pretty close weathering wise. (click on the photo on the EU page)

http://www.starwars.com/databank/droid/cz3/?id=eu

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Heh, maybe you're right. It just looks so different than the films.

Blue2th
10-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Nobody mentioned that you can see his underwear when his legs are moved. :shocked:
Really though, the plastic color used for the mold is white, hence the paint that is used isn't under his joints, and the white plastic is easy to see.
They could have used grey plastic to more match the color of his paint apps.
A small thing but nevertheless noticable.

Battle Droid
11-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Why can't we get a C-3PO with this much articulation?

plasticfetish
11-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Why can't we get a C-3PO with this much articulation?They could, and aside from wrists and elbows, we got pretty close with the Ewok throne 3PO (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4841). I'm not sure if his design would look good with much more articulation though. C-3PO has different elbows, etc. than CZ-4.

JediTricks
11-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Why can't we get a C-3PO with this much articulation?
The vacuum-metalizing process makes small, tight joints pretty much impossible, so they can do big joints on 3PO like his knees, and they can fudge it on the hips, but the wrists, ankles, elbows, and superior shoulders are all impossible (the vac-metal would chip off immediately when the parts were assembled). That's one of the reasons I prefer them to do non-metalized droids. Between CZ-4 and 4-LOM, it's nearly all the articulation 3PO could ever need, yet they keep wasting our time with the 1-trick-pony gimmick of metalizing.

bigbarada
11-07-2007, 03:28 PM
The vacuum-metalizing process makes small, tight joints pretty much impossible, so they can do big joints on 3PO like his knees, and they can fudge it on the hips, but the wrists, ankles, elbows, and superior shoulders are all impossible (the vac-metal would chip off immediately when the parts were assembled). That's one of the reasons I prefer them to do non-metalized droids. Between CZ-4 and 4-LOM, it's nearly all the articulation 3PO could ever need, yet they keep wasting our time with the 1-trick-pony gimmick of metalizing.

With Threepio it seems that we either get inarticulate vac-metalization or drab browns and greys. They molded the VTAC IG-88 a metallic looking plastic, why can't they do the same thing in gold for a proper SA Threepio?

JediTricks
11-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Hasbro's reasoning is suspect on the matter, they claim they don't have metal-tone paints shiny enough to pull it off - the last non-metalized 3PO we got was the Saga Ultra one with the escape pod, I think it looks alright but they went overboard with the purple wash and they have brighter tones now anyway - and that kids and collectors both want metalized 3POs.

Sinscia Fat'o
11-14-2007, 04:13 PM
I love this figure, i tell anyone who buys star wars figures to get this figure because it's everything a star wars figure needs and should be, and so far no one has complained about getting it that i know. Though my first thought after getting him was can't they make a 3PO like this, because personally i hate the vac-metal stuff, why can't they just to standard gold paint apps without the shine? It wouldn't bother collectors, but kids may have something to say about it.

bigbarada
11-14-2007, 05:23 PM
These have been hanging around on the pegs for a while, but I finally found one that has a decent paint job today, so I picked one up. It's a great figure, the only thing missing is some ball-joint shoulders, otherwise he really couldn't have been done any better.

mabudonicus
11-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Heck, I don't even "collect" SW figs anymore, but seeing this little guy in person he was WAY too Star Wars to pass up, he is now happily rockin about with Deuce. Agreed on the ball-joint shoulders, too, the fig would be almost TOO good if the shoulders were done a bit better- small complaint really tho, since he does do the "protocol droid stance" exactly as he should
:beard: Iso & Baws

And I mostly bought him cos I'm flipping out waiting for my "basically I've 'owned' it for a month-and-a-bit but have yet to actually lay my hands on it" Hermi Odle, good ol CZ-4 filled in the waiting time nicely

JON9000
11-15-2007, 02:43 PM
I have this vague memery of CZ-4 walking about in Mos Eisley as Luke is about to sell the speeder. Wasn't he held up by a wire in the older versions? Or am I OOMM?

bigbarada
11-15-2007, 03:26 PM
he was WAY too Star Wars to pass up,

That's a great way to put it.:D It's that unique mix of weirdness, dorkiness and coolness that made the OT stuff so uniquely "Star Wars." Something that's definitely missing in the "everything must look bada66" prequel design philosophy.

Sinscia Fat'o
11-15-2007, 03:45 PM
I have this vague memery of CZ-4 walking about in Mos Eisley as Luke is about to sell the speeder. Wasn't he held up by a wire in the older versions? Or am I OOMM?

Yep there's one of the same style of droids walking around in the background of Mos Eisley, though his call number escapes me, i do recall him having a Decipher CCG card, which is where i first discovered him at.

mabudonicus
11-15-2007, 04:40 PM
It's that unique mix of weirdness, dorkiness and coolness
Thanks man, and your expansion is right on as well- tho I would add that there was another kinda "phantom" element, the best I can express it is "normalness" mixed with a weird almost deja-vu thing, CZ-4 looks really "1970's" like in a way I can't explain- perhaps the lack of accessories, despite my previous gripe, coupled with the small size of the figure, combined with the figure itself (both pyhsical size/presence AND the design) forms some kind of mystical gestalt similar to what the films did to most of us back in the day??

Either way, I somehow HAD to have it and I had not been too excited by the pics- seeing it in the store just did something weird to my head or something, and I was happy for it :D
:beard: Iso & Baws

Still a fine figure

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-15-2007, 04:58 PM
JON9000, CZ-1 was in the sandcrawler, CZ-3 was in Mos Eisley as Luke sells his landspeeder to Wioslea, and CZ-4 is in Jabba's Palace.