PDA

View Full Version : AT-TE to be released next fall in 2008!

Pages : 1 [2]

Tycho
02-18-2008, 02:18 AM
Yes. They made the AT-TE. Now why can't they make a spherical, full Death Star in scale with our figures? :crazed:

(It could come with remote controlled Mouse Droids!)

THIS JUST IN:

For those few of you who may be still disappointed with the AT-TE from Hasbro, the manufacturer is slated to reveal several more special features.

Your new All-Terrain Tactical Enforcer will also be able to:

Make a pot of coffee
Fetch the morning paper
Pull up local traffic reports
Accurately predict the weather
and it comes with a GPS traveling companion to provide you with clear directions to and from your destinations since Hasbro knows that once you have this toy, you'll never want to put it down.

jedi master sal
02-18-2008, 10:20 AM
This thing definitely does look great but now I'm worried. I know exactly how fans are and now they'll say "well, if they made the AT-TE why the f*** can't they make this other vehicle". It's just how things are. The AT-TE being more than what everyone expected is both a blessing and a curse.

Unfortunately it won't be long before this very site has threads like that...

It's already started. Actually I think there may have been a couple started before we even saw this from Toy Fair.

General_Grievous
02-18-2008, 07:12 PM
I think that after the AT-TE, the only (big) vehicles people are still going to rally for are the Sail Barge and the Turbo Tank. But I think more people want a new Cloud Car.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-18-2008, 07:14 PM
I think that after the AT-TE, the only (big) vehicles people are still going to rally for are the Sail Barge and the Turbo Tank. But I think more people want a new Cloud Car.

Why does it keep coming back to the Cloud Car?

Maradona
02-18-2008, 07:16 PM
A blockade runner would be nice, also.

General_Grievous
02-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Why does it keep coming back to the Cloud Car?
Because it's the one vintage vehicle that hasn't been rereleased in the modern line.

El Chuxter
02-19-2008, 12:57 AM
I have to say, if Hasbro had made this even a year ago, I'd buy the thing. It looks amazingly sweet.

But they waited until 2008, so I'm passing.

And, sorry, though I know a lot of people disagree vehemently, the best SW toy ever is the Power FX X-Wing fighter. I don't give a crap if Luke doesn't come out. It's massive, it talks, and, most importantly, it's OT.

Slicker
02-19-2008, 06:39 AM
It's already started.You're right. This kids a tard. (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=601106#post601106)

jedi master sal
02-19-2008, 11:13 AM
You're right. This kids a tard. (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=601106#post601106)

I couldn't agree with you more Slicker. Slicker is a tard...heh heh :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
02-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Hi Res Pics on the main page if you havent seen them yet

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=1351

I cant wait.

JediTricks
02-29-2008, 01:47 AM
This thing looks a little smaller in those pictures, I shouldn't be surprised, the back only holds about 5 figures deep.

bigbarada
02-29-2008, 04:18 AM
The toy just looks nothing short of amazing to me. I'll definitely have to get one.

HOWEVER, maybe it's the crotchety old-man in me that's starting to surface; but I can't help but feel a little resentful that a prequel vehicle is getting all this love from Hasbro when we've had to settle for mostly cheap, hollowed-out rehashes of the OT vehicles for the last 12 years.

We still have no eletronic TIE Fighter with that signature flyby sound. We still don't have a ROTJ version of the AT-ST or an updated Speeder Bike. I'd also love to see an AT-AT that looks less like a robotic family dog and more like an AT-AT.

I'm thrilled that we're getting a new A-Wing, but it just frustrates me to know that it will most likely be devoid of any electronic features because Hasbro put everything they had into the AT-TE.

jedi master sal
02-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Hi Res Pics on the main page if you havent seen them yet

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=1351

I cant wait.

Okay, after I got over the initial shock of the blue balls...er blue turrets, to realize this was prolly a prototype model, I'm excited about it. It's huge. It looks like everything we've wanted in a SW toy.

Now if those pics just didn't have the SSG watermark on them :( I want to photoshop those pics and it makes it harder to do with the watermark in the way...

Bar
02-29-2008, 10:30 AM
I am frankly astonished that such a gigantic toy has been greenlit for production!
It is NOT 1/18, but from the pics, it looks very close to 1/24.
I could live without the play features, as i will personally be turning mine into a scale replica, but it makes it into a brilliant toy.
I have heard talk in this thread about a larger more accurate Falcon.
Have pics surfaced of that one yet?
Bar.

Kidhuman
02-29-2008, 11:11 AM
No official announcement on the scale Falcon. It is just rumor and speculation at this point.

Bar
02-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Ok. Thanks for clearing that up.
Bar.

LusiferSam
02-29-2008, 11:36 AM
I am frankly astonished that such a gigantic toy has been greenlit for production!

I am too. It looks to be a great toy. I can't wait to see some more photos of it. And I've got to agree with BB about prequel vehicles getting better treatment. I don't know the market, but I can't help but think an updated AT-AT would sell better. But still this is very cool.

Kidhuman
02-29-2008, 11:45 AM
I dont think they will update the AT-At. They had a chance to do so with the Endor one, but did not. I really woulnt mind seeing at least 1 scale vehicle per year.

AT-TE - 2008
Falcon - 2009
Sail Barge - 2010
AT-AT - 2011
Tantive IV - 2012

Bar
02-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Guys, you will NEVER see a properly scaled AT-AT.
Do you realise how big an AT-AT is supposed to be (http://www.ffurg.com/FForums/index.php?showtopic=325)?
:D

Kidhuman
02-29-2008, 12:20 PM
I know we would never see one, ut a better scaled one would be better than the one we have. A properly scaled sail barge would need to be 6ft long and 3ft accross

Bar
02-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah, and wouldn't THAT be a pain to get into the car at TRU...
:grin:

bigbarada
02-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Do you realise how big an AT-AT is supposed to be (http://www.ffurg.com/FForums/index.php?showtopic=325)?

No, no, I don't want a properly scaled AT-AT. At least not as a toy, because it'd have to be made of that plastic that they make sandboxes and slides out of and it would still cost $200-300. But I would like something a little more accurate to what we have now. Maybe about 36" tall (the current toy is 22" tall), with more movie-accurate proportions.

Bar
02-29-2008, 12:37 PM
I know.
I was just messing.
That would be a fabulous product.
And i think a movie accurate AT-ST would be good too, instead of the lousy ESB sculpt that we were saddled with.
The ROTJ one looked far superior, but the toy had already been made...
Pity.
Bar.

jedi master sal
02-29-2008, 04:04 PM
And there's no way we'd get a too scale Tantive IV.

There was the one guy who made on and it had to be towed by a semi.

Still a 6ft long one would be awesome and would constitute more of a playset than a vehicle.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-29-2008, 04:08 PM
And there's no way we'd get a too scale Tantive IV.

There was the one guy who made on and it had to be towed by a semi.

Still a 6ft long one would be awesome and would constitute more of a playset than a vehicle.

If they throw in the bigger house with more room to display it, I'd buy one. :thumbsup:

Tycho
02-29-2008, 04:40 PM
I made a Rebel Blockade Runner (http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/visitors/005Weiselberg/weiselberg1.asp) for my action figures at a scale I think a TOY could support. Mine is 5 feet long and could hold 40 figures.

I used the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon computer flight simulator (for the computer keyboard) to create seats and pilot control stations in the cockpit.

The single escape pod launches from under the radar dish.

The cannon (from GI Joe parts) has a gunner chair (from the Falcon gunner station set).

The boarding hatch doors work.

I still intended to put bicycle reflectors inside the engine nozzles for effect.

And I want to work on the interior some more.

It's made of thick PVC plastic with some ABS plastic parts.

My enthusiasm is for TOYS but my hobby is making dioramas, so it was important to me to have the ship be able to contain a set-up that depicts the original opening firefight of the movie when the Stormtroopers board the Tantive IV.

I didn't need to make it larger than this, or it'd be getting ridiculous.

After I imagined the parts I'd need to have built for this thing, I went to the grocery store and asked them for a lot of butcher paper. Then I laid the paper out on my kitchen floor and stood my action figures on it, posed to recreate the boarding of the Tantive IV. Once I knew where I wanted them positioned, I used drafting tools to lay out the exact measurements for the ship I built around THAT scale.

I plan to make a Star Destroyer in the same manner - NOT to scale to my Blockade Runner, but rather large enough to have the bridge as it's shown in the movies, an elevator up the command structure's neck, and a docking bay in the belly large enough to contain just a single TIE Bomber vehicle. Other things I want to include are a Probot launching tube, and a prisoner cell and torture center, as well as gunner stations that have chairs on the interior aligned with cannons for the exterior.

The sailbarge might (MIGHT) be more likely to be made by Hasbro, in light of Zizzle doing the Black Pearl Pirate ship. If I make a custom sailbarge, it would be slightly larger than what I'd expect of Hasbro (and compare to the Black Pearl), but I will wait a little longer to see where Hasbro progresses with large vehicles, especially in light of them making the AT-TE now.

I think a new Millennium Falcon would be a likely product. Additionally, the Turbo Tank would be very simplistic and not require too much tooling to produce, as compared to the other capital ships. I'd think that a ship like the Tantive IV or Devastator would be underwhelming if Hasbro made it. There's always the possibility that in conjunction with their work they'll do with Master Replicas now that they've acquired that company, that things will turn around and there will be some possibilities.

An Imperial Landing Craft would also be on the radar then.

But I built the Tantive because it wasn't likely to be made and it was the focal point for the action of such a key scene in Star Wars. You can argue the same for the sailbarge, only that since it is smaller, it still has a better chance of being produced.

JediTricks
02-29-2008, 04:57 PM
The toy just looks nothing short of amazing to me. I'll definitely have to get one.

HOWEVER, maybe it's the crotchety old-man in me that's starting to surface; but I can't help but feel a little resentful that a prequel vehicle is getting all this love from Hasbro when we've had to settle for mostly cheap, hollowed-out rehashes of the OT vehicles for the last 12 years.

We still have no eletronic TIE Fighter with that signature flyby sound. We still don't have a ROTJ version of the AT-ST or an updated Speeder Bike. I'd also love to see an AT-AT that looks less like a robotic family dog and more like an AT-AT.

I'm thrilled that we're getting a new A-Wing, but it just frustrates me to know that it will most likely be devoid of any electronic features because Hasbro put everything they had into the AT-TE.It's not that it's in the prequels specifically, it's that it's in the prequels AND there's demand AND most importantly it's in the new cartoon.

Okay, after I got over the initial shock of the blue balls...er blue turrets, to realize this was prolly a prototype model, I'm excited about it. It's huge. It looks like everything we've wanted in a SW toy.

Now if those pics just didn't have the SSG watermark on them :( I want to photoshop those pics and it makes it harder to do with the watermark in the way...One of the other sites, I think Rebelscum, also put them up with their watermark in a different location, and they photoshopped it a different way so there is a blue background instead of white, and no kid, so you can mix-n-match parts from each.

:DHell yeah! That's totally rad! I knew we wouldn't be getting scaled versions, but someone should be licensed to make those suckers!

Shatner's Basoon
03-03-2008, 09:33 AM
You guys are lucky...when (IF) this ships to the UK, regardless of the exchange rate there will be at least one to two hundred percent mark up on these babies.....The importers here Love to carve Uk fans up. The best we can hope for will be TRU and even there it will likely be around the 150.00 mark, (Almost $300)

Bar
03-03-2008, 09:40 AM
You guys are lucky...when (IF) this ships to the UK, regardless of the exchange rate there will be at least one to two hundred percent mark up on these babies.....The importers here Love to carve Uk fans up. The best we can hope for will be TRU and even there it will likely be around the 150.00 mark, (Almost $300)

I know.
I feel your pain, Brother...
I have plenty of friends in the US, though, and it's ALWAYS cheaper to get them to pick me one up and ship it to me.
I refuse to pay the UK TRU prices.
Bar.

pegger
03-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Normally we get a big hike difference in Canada to. But word is tha AT-TE will be available (yeah!) and available for $110.

That's pretty good - considering figs and vehicles are normally 30% more.

Tycho
05-29-2008, 02:07 PM
The pics Hasbro just put up showing all the interior make me want to have this thing immediately!

It is so perfect! I can't believe how much quality Hasbro put into it.

I don't know anything else I'd have added to this toy to make it rock with any more features. It's perfect!

jedi master sal
05-29-2008, 05:23 PM
The pics Hasbro just put up showing all the interior make me want to have this thing immediately!

It is so perfect! I can't believe how much quality Hasbro put into it.

I don't know anything else I'd have added to this toy to make it rock with any more features. It's perfect!

Room for two in the "cockpit" area.
or
Electronic moving remote controlled legs...

Oh there's room for improvement if we want to nit-pick this to death.

But it's fine the way it is. Maybe a better paint scheme. Live action movie accurate would have been nice.

JediTricks
05-30-2008, 02:32 AM
I actually wanted the midsection to be articulated the way the Action Fleet one is.

aussietrooper20
05-30-2008, 02:55 AM
word has it that it will be sold for $200.00 australian dollars in australia, but no store word yet. I think maybe Kmart, target or Big W stores.

Kmarts going to sell the falcon for $300.00.

Tycho
05-30-2008, 04:16 AM
Australians have their own toy manufacturers, right?

I mean there aren't millions of Aussie kids deprived of toys because of American import prices?

Since these things would actually only be shipped to Australia from Hong Kong, you'd think it could almost cost less.

Besides, I thought the US dollar was pretty weak right now.

jedi master sal
05-30-2008, 12:03 PM
I actually wanted the midsection to be articulated the way the Action Fleet one is.

Yeah, that would have been a good feature as well. I actually kind of hoped for that too. But given the stability of the toy, I guess it was warranted to be the body that it is. As well consider the battery compartment and other features. For those reasons, it would have probably not been cost efficient to make the body articulated.

aussietrooper20
05-30-2008, 06:58 PM
prices could change for australia since the aussie dollar is getting closer to the american dollar, meaning by augest, america might be paying more on this walker.

JediTricks
06-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Yeah, that would have been a good feature as well. I actually kind of hoped for that too. But given the stability of the toy, I guess it was warranted to be the body that it is. As well consider the battery compartment and other features. For those reasons, it would have probably not been cost efficient to make the body articulated.A horizontal hinge, 2 of them even, wouldn't have really affected the body stability, and actually it would have made manufacture easier because it's easier to make 3 smaller parts than 1 large one (large molds are different from small ones in this regard). The hinge would have to be super fat, but so what, it's hidden. And the midsection could have had the wires fed through the hinge even.

TooWanBee
06-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Can't wait to see that new AT-AT.

Tycho
07-25-2008, 01:45 AM
OK, the AT-TE is even bigger than anyone's expecting, once you see it in person!

Wow does this thing deliver! It's a must-buy.

They had 2 of them at Hasbro's displays at Comic Con (each by itself - one closed up, one unloading troops in their diorama).

I was impressed and once again cannot wait to get this thing!

In person, seeing all the effort they made, the Falcon overshadows this only slightly more, but not as much as everyone assumes - though the Falcon is still an even better purchase of course.

But you must have the AT-TE as well. It's THAT good!

Mad Slanted Powers
07-27-2008, 04:37 PM
I bought one today, but don't have a place to display it at this time, so it will be in the box for a while, as will the Falcon.

Tycho
07-28-2008, 03:45 AM
This toy is incredible! It DOES compete with the Millennium Falcon. I wanted an AT-TE for so long (since E2, 2002) and it really delivers.

Had a few moments with keeping the legs on - and I actually shot myself in the eye with one of the forward missiles (JediTricks was witness to what was not one of my better moments).

But this thing is SOOOOO worth it! The automatic troop deployment doors opening is such a fun feature to play with! I love all the lights and sounds and Clone Trooper dialogue. The weapons racks on board are cool, too!

I'm glad I bought 2. This is another 7/26 product whose quality is right there meeting and exceeding expectations!

For diorama builders, you only need 2 clones: one in the cockpit and one on the main gun. You can't see if there are 18 other clones inside when it's closed up - so save your money if you're not going to play with this as a toy. Or put the clones out - already disembarked and fighting droids.

gambitguru
07-28-2008, 04:43 AM
anybody know how to open the side panel top door? mines has lot of resistance on the top door only. The bottom doors opens fine.
thanks

Tycho
07-28-2008, 06:52 AM
If you mean the front sides, mine are resistant as well, but move when you apply some pressure to opening them. They won't break.

Anything in the back unfolds automatically by way of the action feature (which is spring-loaded so it's not reliant on battery operation - only the accompanying sound-effect is). Press the button hard enough to unlock all 3 doors though - the sides fold down first, then the top (of the back).

This thing is amazing. It's 3:50 am and I woke up for a minute's trip to the bathroom and I had to play with my AT-TE afterwards and then make this post about it. *sigh* :rolleyes:

The Homing Spider Droid remains the last of my MM purchases which I haven't opened yet. I'll get to that one today for sure as I know I'll like it more than the V-19.

The AT-TE is actually tough competition for the Falcon for me - because I actually was asking for the AT-TE and pining for it since 2002. And I'm NOT disappointed! Mark Bredeaux has outdone himself with both these vehicles! I understand why people at Comic Con were having him autograph their toys.

JetsAndHeels
07-28-2008, 03:57 PM
After hearing the good buzz about this toy, I think I may have to get myself one as well. Probably won't be for a few weeks though....I spent quite a bit over this past weekend.

Darthmog
07-28-2008, 04:16 PM
My son has been anxiously waiting for the AT-TE ever since Toy Fair and I finally got him one yesterday but it proved to be a big disappointment. Everytime I put it on the floor three of the legs (2 middle & FL) would pop off. I'd reassemble it for him and tell him not to push on it too hard but as soon as he'd touch the rear hatch deployment button or even try and turn the cannon the thing would fall apart. The feet would even seperate from the legs. I was fuming mad considering how much I spent on it. I was already to contact Hasbro today to voice my displeasure however after sleeping on it I decided this morning to return the AT-TE to TRU for another one and see what happened. I'm happy to say that today's replacement is a big success. The legs have yet to fall off and he's been playing with it for hours.

The surprise hit from the recent toy haul has been the Homing Spider Droid. It's put together nicely and is a great compliment to the AT-TE.

Tenric78
07-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Sorry if this has been asked, but once assembled can it be taken apart and put back in the box for storage? I'm not looking to repackage it. Just get it out of the way...

Tycho
07-29-2008, 12:39 AM
Sorry if this has been asked, but once assembled can it be taken apart and put back in the box for storage? I'm not looking to repackage it. Just get it out of the way...

Yeah. The AT-TE, unlike the Falcon, CAN be disassembled and repackaged.

Tenric78
07-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Awesome, I might get this one before I get the Falcon then.

jonthejedi
07-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Darthmog...I feel your pain. Our AT-TE had the same problem, though I haven't returned it yet. One slight hand pressure from above and the middle legs would pop, the weight then forcing the two front ones to cave. It was on a smooth surface which didn't help...works better on carpet. Any similar horror stories??? My son wants to fill it with clones, so we've started picking up the CW movie versions. I like the dirty deco on each, besides...who wants "shinies" in this mighty fightin' machine?

Ando
07-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Darthmog...I feel your pain. Our AT-TE had the same problem, though I haven't returned it yet. One slight hand pressure from above and the middle legs would pop, the weight then forcing the two front ones to cave. It was on a smooth surface which didn't help...works better on carpet. Any similar horror stories??? My son wants to fill it with clones, so we've started picking up the CW movie versions. I like the dirty deco on each, besides...who wants "shinies" in this mighty fightin' machine?

I decided to go with the Legacy Collection AOTC clones to fill mine including a couple of LT's and a Captain.

I had the same issue with the AT-TE legs. I don't plan on returning it, and I will eventually purchase a 2nd one for my clone army when I have the space to set everything up.

Other than the legs, I was quite please with it. I found that if I prop the belly with my SW DVD's and my NPR radio drama CD's, that it works quote nicely.

And it packs back up quite nicely (I put mine into storage for now, clones and all).

Tycho
07-29-2008, 06:31 PM
After adjusting the legs (due to fall-offs) I have it pretty secure by itself (not propped up on anything). I've moved it around too (I never put the wheels on the bottom of the feet either - it comes with mini-wheels that you can't see when they're in position, but lets you roll it I presume). My 2 AT-TEs are for diorama purposes (Geonosis and Utopau) so I won't be moving them once they are set up in my scenes when I can finally build them.

Meanwhile, the leg issue has just taught me to handle my toys gently - such as when I press the rear troop deployment release feature (put a supporting hand underneathe the AT-TE while you press the button. Then get your hand out of the way of the debarkation ramp.)

But I love this vehicle and am playing with it every bit as much as the Falcon. I may even like it more (might) as I had an inferior Falcon for many years that I had settled for and had really been wanting, anticipating, and begging for an AT-TE ever since 2002 when the Clone Wars first began.

I love the AT-TE!

Ando
07-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Meanwhile, the leg issue has just taught me to handle my toys gently - such as when I press the rear troop deployment release feature (put a supporting hand underneathe the AT-TE while you press the button. Then get your hand out of the way of the debarkation ramp.)

There's a lip near the button that you can hook your fingers under when you go to open the ramp, using your thump to press the button that I have been using, that way the legs don't pop out when you apply pressue to it.

Overall, I love it as much as the Falcon which I also got.

Phantom-like Menace
07-30-2008, 12:52 AM
There is a do-it-yourself fix suggested in this thread:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3173948&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=8&vc=1

Ando
07-30-2008, 11:15 AM
There is a do-it-yourself fix suggested in this thread:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3173948&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=8&vc=1 (http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3173948&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=8&vc=1)

Thank you for the tip! I will have to pick some up this weekend and unpack the AT-TE to try it out! I really love this toy and don't want to have to return it and deal with possibly getting another turkey...

jonthejedi
07-30-2008, 05:17 PM
I've had the leg issues too, but returning it is a big crapshoot hoping I get 1 in a thousand with tighter flanges. Here's my stupid question: I understand the codes on the inside, but what is considered left & right on those legs...facing the AT-TE cockpit or the rear???

Ando
07-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I've had the leg issues too, but returning it is a big crapshoot hoping I get 1 in a thousand with tighter flanges. Here's my stupid question: I understand the codes on the inside, but what is considered left & right on those legs...facing the AT-TE cockpit or the rear???

I have no idea regarding the legs. I didn't even know they were supposed to be placed in specific places until I read the board. I will have to check it out this weekend.

I don't know if I'll have time to unpack it and fuss with it until then, especially since I live in an apartment with a separate storage area.

I don't want people watching me walk back and forth from the basement (I have to go outside to get to it...) with a large toy box and draw attention to my toy vault where the bulk of my collection is. I WILL be trying the DIY fix posted on the boards at rebelscum.com, so hopefully that and putting the legs on the right joints will be the perfect fix.

JetsAndHeels
07-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Well I have decided I am going to get one. Reading all the good things about it here and on Rebelscum have convinced me.

I think this coming weekend would be the perfect time to do so.

nick raper
07-31-2008, 06:28 AM
First post (and a little too lazy to read every one on this thread) so I hope I'll be forgiven.

I had the same problem with the AT-TE...so I returned the first one and the problem was still the same on the second.

Now rather than upset a rather excitable young man I had a good look at the legs and found a workable solution (although Hasbro fixing it would have been better at 99.99)...

Popped into the garden and picked up 6 small bits of round shingle (small pebbles)...I inserted one into each of the main bayonets which creates a much much tighter fit without doing damage to the vehicle and rendering it beyond refund (if the solution doesn't work).....so far he's had no repeats of the collapses that plagued the first day....I will monitor it for a week or so before making a final decision on whether to seek a full refund.

Heck of a shame that such a wonderful (yet expensive) toy has been so poorly put together and without modification is unsuitable for purpose.

I sincerely hope Hasbro will retrospectively correct this problem and offer their loyal customers replacement parts in due course.

Ando
07-31-2008, 10:45 AM
[quote=Phantom-like Menace;630126]There is a do-it-yourself fix suggested in this thread:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3173948&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=8&vc=1[/quote (http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3173948&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=8&vc=1[/quote)]

If anyone is still having issues with their AT-TE legs, try this solution offered over on the boards at www.rebelscum.com (http://www.rebelscum.com). And if you don't feel like scrolling through (there IS a picture...), here it is: Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some 3/16" (recommended on the RS post) or 5/16" (what I bought) clear tubing. Clip a little piece off and insert it into each connector so it pushes the tabs out and keeps them expanded...

It worked GREAT, plus make sure you have the legs (and feet) in the correct positions. The feet for the middle legs aren't labeled, but all the other leg and feet pieces are.

Hopefully this is helpful to everyone having issues.

Bar
07-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Does anyone have a pic of what the feet and the joints look like?
Bar.

JetsAndHeels
08-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Well I have decided I am going to get one. Reading all the good things about it here and on Rebelscum have convinced me.

I think this coming weekend would be the perfect time to do so.

Well I didn't exactly wait for the weekend like I said, but I got one last night. Had to buy it in a hurry because the store had to be evacuated due to a bombthreat. I am lucky the cashier was nice enough to ring me up quickly.

anyway I like the toy alot. I had some trouble with the legs at first but that was because I put 2 of them on at the wrong places. Once I corrected that issue, everything was cool. I like it alot, and am glad to have it.

Jedi_Kal-El
08-02-2008, 03:48 AM
Had to buy it in a hurry because the store had to be evacuated due to a bombthreat. I am lucky the cashier was nice enough to ring me up quicky.

You pick that thing up in Ierland or the middle east, Jets?

JetsAndHeels
08-02-2008, 04:37 PM
You pick that thing up in Ierland or the middle east, Jets?

Ha, no....right here in the land of my birth, North Carolina.

Val Da Car
08-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Took advantage of the Kmart buy 2 get 1 free sale today

3 AT -TE's are now part of my ground forces.

Tycho
08-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Whoa! What a deal, Val da Car! Smart man applying that to the large vehicles...

Phantom-like Menace
08-04-2008, 01:47 AM
Oh, that's sweet! Three AT-TEs! Very nice, sir. Unfortunately I wouldn't have had the money for two. This last paycheck went fast between a friend's birthday and all of the rest of the Clone Wars and Legacy stuff coming out.

Ando
08-04-2008, 11:36 AM
I went to TWO K Marts on Saturday and both of them only had ONE on the shelf and nothing in the back, so I grabbed the ad and headed to Wal Mart because they *said* they would match prices/special as long as you had the ad.

I asked the assistant manager that was there if this was still the case (I had my cart with 3 AT-TE's off to the other side of the aisle where my wife was standing when I approached him). He asked to see what I was talking about, so I showed him the ad. ALL STAR WARS TOYS, BUY 2 GET 1 FREE.

I saw him panic a little because he started flipping through to see if there were any exclusions. Long story short, he played the "only like items pictured card" and told me that they wouldn't do that for the large stuff, and wanted to take me back to the SW section to show me (like I didn't know what I was doing...).

I told him not to bother. I didn't want to make his life miserable by pushing the issue, even though I repeated the terms of the ad over and over again. ALL STAR WARS TOYS, BUY 2 GET 1 FREE, and NEW CLONE WARS TOYS. Then he saw my cart and said, "oh, is that yours?". My reply: "Not anymore". I folded the ad up, shoved it into the cart and walked out.

Anybody think I could have made a bigger deal out of this and gotten them to honor it? It was quite obvious that the pictures they had in the ad were 'examples' and not the only things on sale, and I should have told him that we both know you're just flustered and trying to save your butt.

jedi master sal
08-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Anybody think I could have made a bigger deal out of this and gotten them to honor it? It was quite obvious that the pictures they had in the ad were 'examples' and not the only things on sale, and I should have told him that we both know you're just flustered and trying to save your butt.

You should have. WM prides themselves on "Always" having the cheapest prices..."Always"

So when another retailer upstages them, it's hard for them to match the price sine they (as I've heard) make a lower profit per item. (It's just that they have so many different items that they an make a lot of money)

Anyway, I went to my KMart as well and though they didn't have 3 AT-TEs in stock, I was able to get them to give me a raincheck on the items. Now hopefully, I'll be able to get to that store when they actually have 3 in stock. I think they actually had more in stock, but knowing the sale was going on, didn't want to honor it on big items.

Stores shoot themselves in the foot with these types of sales. And many will try like hell to squeeze out of the deal. If you're persistant it may pay off. Unfortunately, more and more, it's not the old motto of "the customer is always right." Instead it's "How much money can we make off this person?" It's completely about profit with so much less regard to customer service/satisfaction.

Ando
08-04-2008, 01:54 PM
If my wife hadn't been with me, I think I would have really really really pushed the issue, but it was 9:45 at night and we were just coming home from dinner at her parents' house and we had a long drive home still.

El Chuxter
08-04-2008, 02:00 PM
I've never known any store to match an ad for BOGO sales or %-off sales. Only fixed prices.

Blue2th
08-04-2008, 02:55 PM
I finally got the extra funds to buy one of these at Target this morning.
Found a $5 off anything $50 or over card on the back of the flyer add they sent out a couple of days ago. Check your mailbox you might get it.

Low and behold at Target the AT-TE was on sale for $89 plus the coupon, was $90 with tax.

Really, I had every intension of paying full price (minus the coupon of course) :yes:

Kidhuman
08-04-2008, 10:20 PM

Believe you me, they would have honored it if I was there. I had them do it multiple times and I would argue until I got what I wanted.

Chux, I have gotten them to give me BOGO and % off because they sign does not say that it has stipulations on it. I throw their sign in their face every time.

Ando
08-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback. Like I said, it was late and my wife was with me or else I would have pushed the issue.

pegger
08-07-2008, 08:06 AM
OK - I FINALLY got mine - and my sheer joy is quickly turning into deep resentment because every time I look at the thing the wrong way, the legs pop off.

You know, for $100 toy - the thing should work proper.

Ando
08-07-2008, 10:31 AM
OK - I FINALLY got mine - and my sheer joy is quickly turning into deep resentment because every time I look at the thing the wrong way, the legs pop off.

You know, for $100 toy - the thing should work proper.

There's a fix available! Buy some 5/16" clear tubing at Lowe's or Home Depot and cut little sections off and place them into the male side of each joint and it will never EVER again fall apart. Also make sure you follow the directions and put the legs and feet on the correct sides. The front and back legs are different lengths (the front legs are longer than the back...).

Don't give up hope just yet, mine was the same way until I fixed it.

pegger
08-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Don't give up hope just yet, mine was the same way until I fixed it.

But that's my point. I shouldn't have to "fix" it.

Ando
08-07-2008, 11:28 AM
I can understand that. I felt that way, too.

jedi master sal
08-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Wow, I had NO problems with my AT-TE. THe legs stay on perfectly. Are you sure you fellas are putting this thing together correctly??

Ando
08-07-2008, 12:10 PM
I doubt I did the first time. I didn't know they were all had specific places to go. I put mine together after I got back from MM and it was pretty late when I finished putting it and the Falcon together and I was trying to rush through it so my wife and I could go to bed.

When I added the tubing, I followed the directions and put them all on in the right places, so it's ROCK SOLID now.

pegger
08-07-2008, 01:17 PM
It's more when my kids play with it. They push on the buttons - or they move "the guy" around the AT-TE - and it they push too hard - a leg pops off.

Ando
08-07-2008, 01:46 PM
And that's totally understandable. Try the the rubber tubing and you'll never have an issue again. It's TOTALLY kid proof. I had to REALLY pull just to get the legs off so I could repack it.

pegger
08-07-2008, 01:50 PM
So when you put the tube on the male end - did it go outside the prongs, or inside the prongs?

Ando
08-07-2008, 01:59 PM
It goes inside the prongs and keeps the pushed out so they grip the female socket that they go into.

Here's a link to the rebel scum boards with a picture of the fix: http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3173948&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=8&vc=1 (http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3173948&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=8&vc=1)

Scroll all the way down until you see a picture of the legs.

They recommend 3/16", but I used 5/16" and it works awesome. I suggest taking one of the smaller legs with you just to make sure it fits snug, but not overly tight. The nice thing is all of the prongs and sockets for the leg joints are the same.

The tubing I bought came in a roll for $3.69 and I literally have enough for hundreds of these.

Good luck with it, Pegger.

Blue2th
08-07-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm buying some of that tubing before I put my AT-TE together. :thumbsup:

Ando
08-07-2008, 04:01 PM
I read on another board that the AT-TE is on sale at Wal Mart for $79 and change. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

If so, I'm gonna get 2 more this weekend. If not, I am going to go to Target and just get one.

jonthejedi
08-09-2008, 08:17 AM
That rebelscummer should get Toy Savior of The Year prize! I p/u'ed a foot of 3/16" tubing for 14 cents at Lowes in the plumbing section...tried it on all the legs and it worked like a charm. I pushed the tubing all the way in, over the cylindrical center piece & just under the flanges...what a differance!

JediTricks
08-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Wow, I had NO problems with my AT-TE. THe legs stay on perfectly. Are you sure you fellas are putting this thing together correctly??
I helped assemble Tycho's, made sure each leg segment had its lettering and I made sure it was right, and the first thing that happened when he set it down was have the front right lower leg fall off. Several other legs fell off when the activation button for the rear deck was used. It's the design, not the assembly.

bigbarada
08-11-2008, 03:31 AM
I helped assemble Tycho's, made sure each leg segment had its lettering and I made sure it was right, and the first thing that happened when he set it down was have the front right lower leg fall off. Several other legs fell off when the activation button for the rear deck was used. It's the design, not the assembly.

I bought an AT-TE this evening and mine has the same problem, but it's only with the center-left leg. So I just fiddled with the positioning of the four outer legs so that they are holding up most of the weight and it seems to be fine. I am going to get some of that plastic tubing just so I don't have to worry about it, though.

Has Hasbro commented on this problem at all? Are they working on a solution? I wonder if they're going to start shipping AT-TEs with little plastic grommets to shove into the legs, so people don't have to go searching out the tubing on their own. That guy from Rebelscum who figured out the quick fix should probably get a "thank you" check from Hasbro.:)

What Hasbro should have done was designed the legs like the AT-AT, where they slide up into slots that hold them in place. This way the weight of the toy would actually make the leg connection more secure.

That problem aside, this is a great toy! Although, I would have happily sacrificed the electronics just to have this thing be able to flex in the middle like the Action Fleet version.

A couple other minor nits, I don't like how close the cockpit seat puts the driver to the main window (I wish he sat further back and not pressed up against the window), so I'm going to leave my cockpit empty. Also, I wish the "railing" around the cockpit had been a separate piece and not molded on.

But, I've been dreaming about this vehicle since 2002, so there's bound to be a few minor disappointments. The size of the toy really makes up for a lot. If this had been ridiculously undersized like the Sith Infiltrator, then the problems I just listed would have been deal breakers for me.

I'm going to display mine closed up, so the pack in clone is going on the main cannon. Also, I haven't tested the electronics on mine yet, but am in no real rush to. I actually found the electronics on the BMF Falcon a little on the boring side, so if this is just more of the same, then I won't even waste the batteries.

Tycho
08-11-2008, 04:35 AM
I love the electronics on the AT-TE, Barada!

Anyway, my AT-TE is currently "crashed." I was demonstrating the features to Slicker the other night and one of them is apparently "how well the legs do NOT stay on."

I'm tired of trying, so I'm getting the tubing at Home Depot this evening. :rolleyes:

Ando
08-11-2008, 11:28 AM
I bought a 2nd AT-TE on Saturday and since I really have no where to keep it on a daily basis, let alone the 1st one, I put it downstairs in storage, but before I did that, I unpacked it, threw away all of the clear plastic sheets, cut up 12 little pieces of tubing and inserted them into all the joints, and repacked it for when I want to bring it out to play with or show my SW friends.

I plan on buying 2 to 4 more of these for my different clone units, so the tubing was a very cheap investment to insure that I don't ever get frustrated with this toy again. In my own humble opinion, I would say it rivals the BMF.

bigbarada
08-11-2008, 02:50 PM
In my own humble opinion, I would say it rivals the BMF.

I would almost agree with you there. However, that's probably because I've owned 1 vintage Falcon, 3 POTF2 Falcons and the 2004 OTC Falcon. So I think the AT-TE has the benefit of being an all-new vehicle in the Star Wars line and one that I've wanted since 2002.

But it's also because Hasbro just really went above and beyond for this toy. It could have easily been only slightly bigger than two AT-APs stuck butt to butt. To be honest, that's what I was expecting when I first heard that this vehicle was confirmed.

It's very rare and exciting when Hasbro gets something right on the first try and that's what adds to the coolness of this toy.

Ando
08-11-2008, 03:48 PM
The other great thing about it is that it's an army builder toy (albeit an extremely expensive one). But now that I fixed the leg joints, I just want as many as I can afford.

Bar
08-11-2008, 04:01 PM
I have mine unpacked.
You guys in the US are very lucky. Over here, we pay 99/$198...
But it's still a very good toy.
I am going to have to chop the cockpit off mine and make a new more accurate one, though.
And add the leg actuators for the middle set of legs.
But other than that, it's beautiful.
Bar.

Tycho
08-11-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm going to buy my plastic tubing this evening. I have to go near Home Depot anyway.

Grrrr. I love the AT-TE but this is not how Star Wars toys should be made.

Ando
08-11-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm going to buy my plastic tubing this evening. I have to go near Home Depot anyway.

Grrrr. I love the AT-TE but this is not how Star Wars toys should be made.

Once you fix it, you'll forget all about the trouble you had with it!

1 caution, it takes quite a bit of pulling to get it apart again if you need to repack it for any reason.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-11-2008, 07:59 PM
I finally put mine together last night and didn't have any problems with the legs falling off. I did have a little trouble getting the middle legs on, but not as much trouble as I had putting the cannon on top. I thought I had it lined up right and point towards the front of the vehicle, but it just wouldn't go in. I finally turned it the other way and then it went in. Then I was able to rotate back to the front.

Pushing the button to open the back didn't cause any trouble. I haven't put any batteries in, so I haven't experienced the lights and sounds yet. I haven't really done much to test out how sturdy the legs were, but I think I got them in the right spots. They are labeled on the inside of the leg. I just wasn't sure which was the front of the vehicle. It looks like the back is the part that opens up and has the ramp.

bigbarada
08-11-2008, 11:14 PM
It looks like the back is the part that opens up and has the ramp.

You could just look at the picture on the box to determine where the front of the vehicle is.:cross-eye

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-11-2008, 11:23 PM
You could just look at the picture on the box to determine where the front of the vehicle is.:cross-eye
Or you could at least be vaguely familiar with it from the film . . .

I loaded it up with 20 super-articulated clones a few days ago and it was freakin' badass. It would be hard to get their foot pegs all in there, so I didn't, but they were still fine in there due to the railing and everything. Too bad having the ones in the seats stretches out their leg joints; Hasbro should correct that.

And I haven't had any problems with the legs aside from one foot coming slightly loose, but I just popped it back in. Then again, mine has almost exclusively been on carpet, and apparently the problem is when it's on hard surfaces . . .

Tycho
08-12-2008, 01:23 AM
I bought 3/16 and 5/16 tubing tonight. The 3/16 is working, but the legs are NOT on tight and still will come off. I was going to return the 5/16 before I cut it, but BOTH only cost me $8 together, so I might cut the 5/16 and try and work with that instead. I'm not convinced my repair effort works efficiently.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-12-2008, 01:55 AM
You could just look at the picture on the box to determine where the front of the vehicle is.:cross-eyeThat's what I did.

Or you could at least be vaguely familiar with it from the film . . .I'm aware of it from the film, but never watched the scenes close enough. Stuff is happening so fast that I've never really been able to watch it and memorize what the vehicle looks like in detail. I recall playing Battlefront and having a heck of a time operating that thing. You could change locations on the vehicle to fire from different guns and I'd get disoriented as to which gun I was actually firing from and what it actually fired.

I loaded it up with 20 super-articulated clones a few days ago and it was freakin' badass. It would be hard to get their foot pegs all in there, so I didn't, but they were still fine in there due to the railing and everything. Too bad having the ones in the seats stretches out their leg joints; Hasbro should correct that.The pegs in the vehicle seemed pretty small. It was late and I didn't try too hard to get the clones on them. I had several loose AOTC clones available, so I put four plain TAC Saga Legends version in the back, one each of the four colored ones in the front (Saga Legends as well except for the green TSC one), and the one it came with I put in the front thing. I also had one of the most recent Saga Legends open to man the cannon on top.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-12-2008, 03:45 PM
The pegs in the vehicle seemed pretty small. It was late and I didn't try too hard to get the clones on them.
The pegs are actually fine, but it's tricky to get the clones' feet on them when there are several of them in there and not much room for your hands to match them up. But, the clones do indeed fit fine in there unless you want to tip the AT-TE over or something.

JediTricks
08-13-2008, 12:18 AM
Or you could at least be vaguely familiar with it from the film . . .Yeah, because it's SOOOO noticeable in the films. :p And I notice you don't say that whenever someone gets the Juggernaut's front mixed up with its back despite it being in the film. lol

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Yeah, because it's SOOOO noticeable in the films. :p And I notice you don't say that whenever someone gets the Juggernaut's front mixed up with its back despite it being in the film. lol
I was going to write a longer comment, but the front is obvious since it's the end facing the droid army on Geonosis. And there's never been a discussion about the Juggernaut's front that I've been aware of.

Bar
08-13-2008, 05:59 PM
And there's never been a discussion about the Juggernaut's front that I've been aware of.

I think that was a joke. The Juggernaut can drive either way...
Bar.

El Chuxter
08-13-2008, 06:02 PM
The Juggernaut can do whatever the hell the Juggernaut wants! Don't you know who he is? He's the Juggernaut, b****! Don't mess with his helmet! He's had that helmet since the forf grade!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-13-2008, 06:19 PM
I think that was a joke. The Juggernaut can drive either way...
Bar.
I figured it was a joke. I was just kind of ****ed at the time due to that and a few other things.

Bar
08-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Okay guys.
That over scale too-wide cockpit has been getting on my nerves, so i am going to do something about it.
I took my AT-TE apart this morning, and attacked it viciously with my dremel.
I have removed the cockpit, the mechanism which links the forward ball-turrets, the rear interior deck and the electronics(If anyone needs a complete and still-functioning AT-TE electronic system, let me know I have no use for it). The way i have chopped off the front end cockpit and the area immediantely behind it, i will be able to make a small corridor which the Clone pilot would use to access the cockpit.
I will be laminating the styrene into place tomorrow, and i will post pics if anyone wants to see... :D
Bar.

jedi master sal
08-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Yikes!

I HOPE for your sake it turns out good enough. I'd hate to do this to this toy and it not come out right...

Bar
08-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Yikes!

I HOPE for your sake it turns out good enough. I'd hate to do this to this toy and it not come out right...

It'll work out just fine.
I am very good at what i do (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Stargate%20Misc/wfpartone52.jpg).
Here is what it looks like right now(I will make the corridor first, and then add the cockpit doorway/exterior panelling):

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/CIMG1715.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/CIMG1716.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/CIMG1717.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/CIMG1718.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/CIMG1719.jpg

Ando
08-14-2008, 04:14 PM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Stargate%20Misc/wfpartone52.jpg (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Stargate%20Misc/wfpartone52.jpg)

What IS that?!? That is amazing!

Bar
08-14-2008, 04:19 PM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Stargate%20Misc/wfpartone52.jpg (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Stargate%20Misc/wfpartone52.jpg)

What IS that?!? That is amazing!

It's a model kit i mastered for the F-302 space-fighter from the TV show Stargate SG1
Here are a couple of other pics:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Stargate%20Misc/xxx302updatewednesday5.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Stargate%20Misc/129Partsbreakdownandhow-toguide.jpg

And here's what the thing looks like in the show:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Stargate%20Misc/F302reference1b22.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Stargate%20Misc/f302reference1a37.jpg

Ando
08-14-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm very impressed.

When you say it's from a kit you mastered... Do you mean you fabricated the parts or you took a pre built kit and took it to the next level?

Bar
08-14-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm very impressed.

When you say it's from a kit you mastered... Do you mean you fabricated the parts or you took a pre built kit and took it to the next level?

What i mean is that i took the raw materials and the plans and made a model kit from scratch.
I have made several model kit masters now.
I even made a model kit of the Daedalus from the same show.
Daedalus from the episode (http://www.sg-soc.com/Images/Daedalus_in_orbit.jpg).
My model kit (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Daedalus/Odyssey4.jpg).
The kit parts top (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Daedalus/Daedalusmasterfinito10.jpg).
The kit parts Bottom (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Daedalus/Daedalusmasterfinito12.jpg).
Bar.

Ando
08-14-2008, 04:47 PM
That's really cool!

Can I ask a little about the process? What sort of tools are needed and what type of plastic do you use for the raw materials?

I've always wanted to do stuff like this.

Bar
08-14-2008, 05:10 PM
That's really cool!

Can I ask a little about the process? What sort of tools are needed and what type of plastic do you use for the raw materials?

I've always wanted to do stuff like this.

It all depends on what you are going to make.
And i don't want to derail this thread. If anyone wants me to stop this line of talk, please let me know and i can just PM this info to Ando.
If you are planning a scratchbuild(One-off, not to be reproduced (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/various16-1.jpg), or just a fun project (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/arcB-240a4.jpg)), the techniques are the same, but you don't need to make it modular. If, however, you plan on making something to be reproduced, you need to break the shape down into component parts for ease of casting.
To illustrate my process, i will show you a subject you will be familiar with:
The AOTC Jedi Starfighter.
I recently finished a 1/24 scale master patter of Obi-Wan's JS.
I had to break down the build. And because of the complex curves of the cockpit, i had to do that in a couple of stages. I had to make a solid version of the shape, make a resin intermediate casting, and use that piece to hollow out for the final shape.
I will put images below showing the build progression.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/04-04-07_1428.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JediStarfighterimages1a5.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JediStarfighterimages1a3.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSshotwithPrimer5.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSshotwithPrimer1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/Eta-2andDelta-73.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JScockpitFraming1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JediStarfighterinthesunlight3.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/Timetodestroytheengines-1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/Timetodestroytheengines.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/ProgressimagesofJediStarfighter4.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JediStarfighterimagesnumberten11.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/CIMG0542-1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/js26.jpg

And finally, the finished article:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSfinishedpics.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSfinishedpics2.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSfinishedpics3.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSfinishedpics4.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSfinishedpics5.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSfinishedpics6.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSfinishedpics7.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSfinishedpics8.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSfinishedpics9.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSfinishedpics10.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSfinishedpics12.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSfinishedpics13.jpg

Ando
08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
That's extremely impressive amazing.

I highly doubt I would be able to produce anything *HALF* as good as that.

I may just have to settle for letting Hasbro build the toys that I want.

Bar
08-14-2008, 05:48 PM
That's extremely impressive amazing.

I highly doubt I would be able to produce anything *HALF* as good as that.

I may just have to settle for letting Hasbro build the toys that I want.

Trust me when i say it's not as tough as it looks.
Think of what you want. Think of what you NEED the thing to do, and plan accordingly.
If it's a one-off, it's waay easier than a kit master.
I am working on and off on a "flatbed-truck" version of the AT-ST(For deploying troops from the back, and with a rear gunner station). It's still in the early stages, but i have a main body built.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/ATTC1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/ATTC2.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/ATTC4.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/ATTC5.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/ATTC6.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/ATTC9.jpg

I have also played around with some sculpting of SW characters in the past.
it's also easier than you'd imagine:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Sidiousandsoloincarbonite.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/WattoandSithyoda.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/maulandJedimasterGeneeraal.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Maul2AndBo-bonAldee.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/hanincarbonite10.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/hanincarbonite16.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Kaminoan.jpg

Ando
08-14-2008, 06:03 PM
It's more of a lack of artistic skill than anything else.

Bar
08-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Don't fret, dude.
Have you ever had an idea to build something that doesn't yet exist in toy form?
Bar.

Blue2th
08-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Bar, you are good! :thumbsup:
This just a hobby? do you make customs to order? I've seen some guys do 1:18 Sandcrawlers and even Jabba's Sailbarge. You can imagine how big they can get.
One of the SSG members Tycho made a Tantive Blockade Runner.

I like that Stargate fighter.

I wouldn't mind getting into that though I think I would be more interested in 1:18 WWII Warplanes like the huge 21st Century Toys.

I would do it just to create ones I can't buy, but there is Big money in it for the experts.

Anyways I'm impressed!

Ando
08-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Don't fret, dude.

Have you ever had an idea to build something that doesn't yet exist in toy form?
Bar.

Who hasn't?!? I made a couple of Obi Wan in (partial/Volume II of the CW cartoon) clone armor figures 2 summers ago. I .

Last summer, I discovered a great little store in my area called Heroes and Hobbies. The owner is a little eccentric, but he's got great stuff and lots of older stuff. My wife bought me an AOTC Gunship there last summer that was still in the box!

(Thanks for the encouragement and apologies to anyone annoyed or offended by this detour off of the main topic)

Anyways, he had an old AT-AT and another Gunship that was missing lots of parts, but I almost bought it to turn it into an LAAT/c. This was WAY before we knew that Hasbro would be making an actual AT-TE. I was also going to try to convert the AT-AT into a Turbo Tank by removing the neck and adding turrets and weapons and what not, but they both got bought before I could go back for them.

pegger
08-14-2008, 06:46 PM
I can't build anything. I'm an accountant for a reason....

Ando
08-14-2008, 07:00 PM
I can't build anything. I'm an accountant for a reason....

lol

I'm an inside salesman/sales manager for my family's company.

I can build, it's just not always pretty.

Bar
08-14-2008, 07:10 PM
It doesn't have to be perfect, guys.
I made a prposed master for a BSG Viper MKVII a while back.
It didn't quite make the grade, but it didn't look too bad.
The master is the grey one, with a couple of test castings:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Brannin%20fest/TwopartViperprogress6.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Brannin%20fest/TwopartViperprogress1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Brannin%20fest/TwopartViperprogress7.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Brannin%20fest/TwopartViperprogress8-1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Brannin%20fest/TwopartViperprogress4.jpg

There are some SW ships out there that haven't been made yet.
Get cracking, guys!
I'd love to see what people with a passion for this can do!
Bar.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-14-2008, 07:54 PM
I wasn't even that good at putting plastic model kits together if they weren't snap together. One time I tried to paint one and it just wasn't turning out good at all. I'm a lazy perfectionist. I want things to be a certain way, but don't have the patience, the skills, or the patience to acquire the skills. I'd probably spend all day doing something that others could do in an hour, and it still wouldn't look as good. My brain just isn't wired right for those sorts of things. Like pegger, I'm much better with numbers.

Ando
08-15-2008, 12:11 PM
I wasn't even that good at putting plastic model kits together if they weren't snap together. One time I tried to paint one and it just wasn't turning out good at all. I'm a lazy perfectionist. I want things to be a certain way, but don't have the patience, the skills, or the patience to acquire the skills. I'd probably spend all day doing something that others could do in an hour, and it still wouldn't look as good. My brain just isn't wired right for those sorts of things. Like pegger, I'm much better with numbers.

Lazy perfectionist... That's exactly the term I'd use to describe myself.

When the VOTC Bike Scout's came out in 2006, I bought a bunch of them with the ambitious plan of painting them to creat my own Kashyyyk Troopers (before Hasbro did it).

I found the bottles of Testors paint a few months back and the paint had completely separated and the brushes I bought were still unopened on the card.

I have 4 unopened Republic Commando/Super Battle Droid Comic Packs that I had planned to paint with a similar color scheme as Mace Windu's 187th Attack Battallion for my wife (I gave her those troopers along with a Gunship, Mace's Jedi Starfighter, and the R4-M6 astromech). Those RC's won't get painted for a while...

Bar
08-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Ok guys.
I have been a bit busy over the last few days, but i managed to get an hour this morning to get the main shape blocked out.
Nothing is glued in place, because i am going to have to strip it all to replace the ball turrets(No sense only going half way).
When i am replacing them, i will dremel off the main hinges for all the opening panels, and reskin the outer shell to remove the shut lines.
I have also taken the liberty of designing a pilots chair. I just cannot see that a pilot of a vehicle like this would have to stand(Even though clone comfort would not be a priority of the designers, they'd need to minimise strain on them). If you are at the controls of something like this, you'd need a seat at the very least, so i have made a control chair which is suspended from the rear of the cabin(It also is not attached permanently: I have used magnets to hold it in place until painting). I haven't made the hand controls yet, but i made a set of pedals and actuators just for the look of the thing.
If you look at the gap between the outer cockpit wall, and the ball turrets, you will see how much i have reduced the thickness by.
Here are the pics:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/CIMG1720.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/CIMG1721.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/CIMG1722.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/CIMG1723.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/CIMG1724.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/CIMG1725.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/CIMG1726.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/CIMG1727.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/CIMG1729.jpg

Mad Slanted Powers
08-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld where George gives that security guard a chair or stool to sit on.

Looking at the Incredible Cross Sections book, there are actually two seats in that front part, with one above and behind the front one. Rather than the four seats across behind that, this shows one clone seated behind the turrets and 5 clones next to him facing the side of the vehicle. It looks to be the same on the other side and the back. That would confirm the specs:

1 pilot, 1 spotter, 4 gunner/support crew, 1 turret gunner outside, 20 clone trooper passengers.

Bar
08-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld where George gives that security guard a chair or stool to sit on.

Looking at the Incredible Cross Sections book, there are actually two seats in that front part, with one above and behind the front one. Rather than the four seats across behind that, this shows one clone seated behind the turrets and 5 clones next to him facing the side of the vehicle. It looks to be the same on the other side and the back.

That's even better.
I was just assuming one operator, but it makes sense for two.
I'll make new seats.
Thanks for the info.
Bar.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-16-2008, 02:18 PM
That's even better.
I was just assuming one operator, but it makes sense for two.
I'll make new seats.
Thanks for the info.
Bar.

I found a link with a picture (http://www.dorlingkindersley-uk.co.uk/static/spreads/all/0/4/9780751337440L_028.jpg).

Bar
08-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks for that image. I haven't seen that image before. It will come in very handy.
Bar.

JediTricks
08-17-2008, 02:58 AM
I think that was a joke. The Juggernaut can drive either way...It wasn't a joke, we really have had several discussions on the forums about the proper orientation of the Clone Turbo Tank, as most people assume the part that looks like the head on the AT-AT is the head on the Juggernaut, when in fact that's not the case. Even Hasbro makes this mistake on all the Clone Turbo Tank products out there, Clone Commander Cody Star Wars Transformer and both Titaniums, whenever Hasbro puts out official photography it's of the back.

BTW Bar, way to shred your AT-TE, that's wild! And nice F-302, I was gonna ask if it was custom or kitbash till I saw the next page. And seriously, you built a SW Bubble Fighter from the Lost in Space movie? :D Great landing gear on the Ep 2 JSF.

And while I'm sure it's easy for you, for skillless oafs like myself, this is the closest I've ever gotten to custom vehicles: http://geocities.com/jeditricks/fettswoop/

"Lazy perfectionist", good one MSP! I'm in that boat too. I can do web stuff, but I mostly glued my hands to the table when I built models as a kid.

Cool update. I think it's gonna be tough modding this to the body Hasbro built though because your cockpit is a more accurate height, but it's a little higher than it should in scale to the body because the body is underscaled, from what I'm seeing. Nifty cockpit seat!

Bar
08-17-2008, 01:39 PM
It wasn't a joke, we really have had several discussions on the forums about the proper orientation of the Clone Turbo Tank, as most people assume the part that looks like the head on the AT-AT is the head on the Juggernaut, when in fact that's not the case. Even Hasbro makes this mistake on all the Clone Turbo Tank products out there, Clone Commander Cody Star Wars Transformer and both Titaniums, whenever Hasbro puts out official photography it's of the back.
Ahh. Gotcha. I always assumed the "big end" of the Turbo tank was the front, because that's the way it moves in ROTS, but i know it can go both ways.

BTW Bar, way to shred your AT-TE, that's wild! And nice F-302, I was gonna ask if it was custom or kitbash till I saw the next page. And seriously, you built a SW Bubble Fighter from the Lost in Space movie? :D Great landing gear on the Ep 2 JSF.

Actually, the AT-TE was the EASIEST Hasbro toy i have ever taken apart. It comes apart very cleanly, with no adhesive(Some toys have been bonded together to stop people taking them apart for reverse engineering).
The 302 was a labour of love. I am remastering the kit right now.
And the "bubble fighter" was a scratchbuild i made in 1/18 a while ago(I made the "ARC-240 Heavy Bomber" to look kind of like a precursor to the B-wing, but with a Republic gunship bubble/Tie Fighter bubble cockpit). It's a fairly large item(About 2 feet tall).
The main "wing" was made from MDF skinned with styrene, and the detail parts were scavenged from two STAP model kits(If you look at the pic, the wings are STAPs), and two Trade Federation Tank model kits(Which donated their main turrets for the lower cannons).
I won't bore you by posting images, but i have a folder with a couple of scratchbuilds/toy mods in my photobucket account.
The folder is here. (http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Star%20wars%20builds/?start=all)

And while I'm sure it's easy for you, for skillless oafs like myself, this is the closest I've ever gotten to custom vehicles: http://geocities.com/jeditricks/fettswoop/

Don't be too hard on yourself. If that was a scratchbuild, it's quite good.
When trying to build something either from your own mind or from blueprints, you need to use the correct materials for the job, and need to plan ahead.

Cool update. I think it's gonna be tough modding this to the body Hasbro built though because your cockpit is a more accurate height, but it's a little higher than it should in scale to the body because the body is underscaled, from what I'm seeing. Nifty cockpit seat!

Indeed.
There are many problems i face with the AT-TE. The centre section doesn't move, the middle legs don't swivel, the legs are too thick, cockpit too thick, detailing is wrong, and the rear ball turrets are too far apart...
Before i even started cutting, i asked myself whether i would have been better off just scratchbuilding a totally accurate one myself...
But i decided my version will be a variant. Not 100% accurate to the ones on screen, but more accurate than the toy is.
I am not putting the toy down. It says a lot for Hasbro to pop this one out there. But it could be a little better for my tastes.
And it will be better when i have finished.
Bar.

Ando
08-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Impressive, Bar. Most impressive.

Bar
08-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks Ando!
I went to see Clone Wars today, and i was mightily impressed with the screen time the AT-TE got!
A fine movie, and i think CG is the way to go in future for SW. They can accomplish so much with it.
I am certainly looking forward to the TV show based on it.
I can see great things in the SW franchise ahead.
Bar.

jedi master sal
08-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Excellent craftmanship Bar. Are you an Industrial Designer? I am (as well as a graphic designer). Do you add any kind of electronics? Do you use fiber optics at all? Do you scratch build your own hinges or buy ready made and incorporate them in? If ready made, which ones do you use and how much for them? Vacuumforming? I noticed the nice "ribcage" on one of your models. DO you fill in the gaps with anything? I use blue foam when filling in a "ribcage" then epoxy over it and if needed then thin styrene.

If you do vacuum form, did you make the vacuumforming machine yourself or buy one. If bought, where at and again how much?

Yes I have lots of questions....heh heh.

I'm getting so close to owning a home that I want to start thinking about what I need for my home "shop." So I'm just curious what kinds of costs you've incurred buying tools. Etc.

-Sal

Danoby
08-18-2008, 03:44 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u299/Danoby/AT-TElegs.jpg

With a bit of Mighty Putty I was able to get the AT-TE legs from falling off. Not only does it solve the problem of the "Falling legs" now it's able to let me do some incredible poses! I hope this tip comes in handy for others!

Danoby@gmail.com

ncbarrett
08-18-2008, 04:12 PM

With a bit of Mighty Putty I was able to get the AT-TE legs from falling off. Not only does it solve the problem of the "Falling legs" now it's able to let me do some incredible poses! I hope this tip comes in handy for others!

Danoby@gmail.com

That is sweet.
Now make a mountain for it to climb, and throw ahsoka on the front of it (when she is released).

Bar
08-18-2008, 04:49 PM

Danoby@gmail.com

That is sooo cool!
I was very impressed with the "walking up the wall" part of the movie. I was even more impressed that the AT-TE is supposed to have that kind of capability!

Excellent craftmanship Bar.
Thank you, Sir.

Are you an Industrial Designer? I am (as well as a graphic designer).
I am a taxi driver...

Do you add any kind of electronics? Do you use fiber optics at all?
it would depend on the "job" in hand. I HAVE used lights in the past, but seldom use sounds.
I did a custom job on a GI JOE Night Ops Vamp (http://s6c.joebattlelines.com/toys/reviews/2inch/2006/deluxe/wave1/vamp.htm), where i repainted it all, added four wheel steering, and a custom lighting circuit meant for an R/C car. Here are some pics:
One (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Modded%20Gi%20Joe%20toys/VampCivilianversion1.jpg).
Two (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Modded%20Gi%20Joe%20toys/VampCivilianversion3.jpg).
Three (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Modded%20Gi%20Joe%20toys/VampCivilianversion4.jpg).
Four (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Modded%20Gi%20Joe%20toys/VampCivilianversion5.jpg).
Five (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Modded%20Gi%20Joe%20toys/VampCivilianversion7.jpg).

I did a few custom jobs on GI Joe Sigma Six vehicles, and the gallery of most of them is here (http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Modded%20Gi%20Joe%20toys/?start=all).

Do you scratch build your own hinges or buy ready made and incorporate them in? If ready made, which ones do you use and how much for them?
I use what's available. Sometimes, if you are working in a really small scale, you have to improvise, and if your scale is larger, you may find what you want on a shelf somewhere. There are no rules. Use what works.

Vacuumforming? I noticed the nice "ribcage" on one of your models. DO you fill in the gaps with anything? I use blue foam when filling in a "ribcage" then epoxy over it and if needed then thin styrene.
That's one way. I sometimes use P38 filler(Like bondo), it's cheap and easy to sand. Other times, i use Aves Apoxie Sculpt.
As before, there are no rules. Sometimes one type is better, other times, you go for something else. If you are making curves, go for an easy-sanding filler, and if you are making edges and straight panels, go for styrene. You can also blend the two (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/starfightercockpit1.jpg)if the job requires it (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JediStarfighterhighres1a5.jpg).

If you do vacuum form, did you make the vacuumforming machine yourself or buy one. If bought, where at and again how much?
I have used Vacuumforming in the past. I did a re-panelling job (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/CIMG0596.jpg)on the Jedi Starfighter (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/CIMG0597.jpg)from EpII once, and had the result vac-formed (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/jspiecesalltogether.jpg)using a local vacuum forming company. They weren't exactly cheap, but the cost wasn't too bad.
I'd love to have my own vac-forming machine...
That would be something i'd invest in given the chance...

Yes I have lots of questions....heh heh.

I'm getting so close to owning a home that I want to start thinking about what I need for my home "shop." So I'm just curious what kinds of costs you've incurred buying tools. Etc.

-Sal

That's cool.
I wouldn't even know how to add up what my toolbox would cost to recreate...
And to be honest, if you don't build all the time, you might not even need all the stuff i have. I do know i have everything i need in my toolbox.
And my toolbox is a large one. It weighs over 50lbs...
I use all the available space, too, and keep my most important tools held to the inside of the lid with magnets. (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/CIMG2493.jpg)
If you want specifics about what tools to buy, i'd be happy to talk about it.
I could even take more detailed pics of my tools...
Just let me know.
I hope i didn't ramble too long...
Bar.

Ando
08-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Bar,

I don't want to speak for everyone here, but I am fascinated by the work you do and want to thank you for sharing your work and describing your processes and tools and everything. I definitely don't mind what you consider rambling.

Can I have a link to your complete photo album/portfolio website?

Ando

Bar
08-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Bar,

I don't want to speak for everyone here, but I am fascinated by the work you do and want to thank you for sharing your work and describing your processes and tools and everything. I definitely don't mind what you consider rambling.

Can I have a link to your complete photo album/portfolio website?

Ando

Thanks Ando.
If i can help anyone out here with any advice, i will gladly do so.
And as for my gallery, the main link is here (http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/?start=all)(You will see all the sub galleries on the left).
There are two galleries with pics of my ex girlfriend(Dana), that you might want to skip, and one of pics of my cat and other cats, but generally, they are modelling related.
If you trawl through them and see anything you'd like to ask questions about, feel free to fire away.
Bar.

Ando
08-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Awesome pictures, Bar. I noticed you use a lot of the Sigma 6 figures (for scale?).

I sure love that Dragon Hawk vehicle. Great mods on it, too. That's a great toy and the vehicles were really well thought out and have great play value. They're very similar to Star Com from the early to mid 80's too, with the size of the figs and the magnetic features.

I bought 2 online last summer from TRU when they were on clearance for $5.00 each! I bought my first one the year before for full price at $40.00.

Bar
08-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Yes, i use those Sigmas for scale. My preferred scale is 1/24, and that's the scale of those little guys. They are indeed very close to the same scale as Starcom(And M.A.S.K.).
They are "cartoony" it has to be said, but they gove a good impression of scale.
I also LOVE the Dragonhawk. I have 6 of them in my stash in the attic(You never know...).
I also have about twenty of the Cobra FireBat. It's another little ship that screams for conversion!
I am working on a 1/24 Stargate (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Stargate%20Misc/Stargateprogresspics3.jpg), And the detailing just needs to be done (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Stargate%20Misc/Gatecomparisonimages3.jpg), but i will be also making one in 1/18(SW figures, and Gi Joe 3 3/4 scale).
Bar.

jedi master sal
08-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Thank you, Sir.

You're welcome

I use what's available. Sometimes, if you are working in a really small scale, you have to improvise, and if your scale is larger, you may find what you want on a shelf somewhere. There are no rules. Use what works.

Of course. I was just curious how and what you make your small hinges with. I tend to use a small guage styrene "pipe" and rod type system for the small stuff.

That's one way. I sometimes use P38 filler(Like bondo), it's cheap and easy to sand. Other times, i use Aves Apoxie Sculpt.

Ah yes Bondo, I've worked with it many times. Though I find you have to shape it fairly quick or it will dry on you. Then of course the obligatory sanding. Still, when it hardens, it makes for a quite nice sturdy form.

As before, there are no rules. Sometimes one type is better, other times, you go for something else. If you are making curves, go for an easy-sanding filler, and if you are making edges and straight panels, go for styrene. You can also blend the two (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/starfightercockpit1.jpg)if the job requires it (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JediStarfighterhighres1a5.jpg).

What you're showing is a "buck." Though it looks like you're incorporating yours into the model instead of using it to vacuum form. I still have a few of my "bucks" left over from art school. They are very handy, ESPECIALLY if you are using them to vacuum form. If you plan on making several models of the same type, they are especially handy as you can replicate the same piece without having to recreate it every time. Just vac-form over the buck and bam, instant piece.

That would be something i'd invest in given the chance...

I think that is one thing I may eventually invest in. I may contact some of the guys with the 501st. They use large homemade vacuuming forming machines to make their armor from. If I can get a good lok at how they did it, I'll reproduce that in a smaller scale for model part.

That's cool.
I wouldn't even know how to add up what my toolbox would cost to recreate...
And to be honest, if you don't build all the time, you might not even need all the stuff i have. I do know i have everything i need in my toolbox.
And my toolbox is a large one. It weighs over 50lbs...
I use all the available space, too, and keep my most important tools held to the inside of the lid with magnets. (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/CIMG2493.jpg)
If you want specifics about what tools to buy, i'd be happy to talk about it.
I could even take more detailed pics of my tools...
Just let me know.
I hope i didn't ramble too long...
Bar.

Sure, what ever pics of your stuff you'd like to post. Though I don't want to see your "tool"...heh heh.

Seriously though, I've got several tools that I just haven't used in years, again due to space issue. I'm guessing by your response that you don't know of my plans for dioramas. Not only can I scratch build models, but for years now I've been planning on and drawing up plans for many dioramas, several of which are very large in size. Model making will most assuredly be a part of this.

Bar
08-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Ok, i will add some more(I will address the items in order, so people don't have to wade through quote boxes!):

Small hinges: I have another technique that never occurred to me last night: I use spring bars(You know the little metal spring loaded bars that keep your watch strap on the watch?). I once bought a box of "assorted sizes" and i use them all the time(They work great as little greeblie source too!). There are many ways to implement them into a hinge, but if you think about it, you will see where they could be employed.
I found a link on Ebay, and you will see the kind of value a small box of these things offers (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/17-SIZES-WATCHMAKERS-REPAIR-TOOLS-SPRING-BAR-BOX-SET-UK_W0QQitemZ250283515180QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item25 0283515180&_trkparms=72%3A1121%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14).

Ribs'n'filler: The Jedi Starfighter cockpit part i showed before wasn't a vacforming buck. I made the shape, made a sillicon mold, and cast the shape in resin. I then usen one casting to make an actual buck for casting, and i hollowed another one out with my dremel to make the cockpit master form. It was tough work, but the end result speaks for itself (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/TheEmperorsnewcockpitmaster2.jpg).

Buck(Flat shapes and curves): Using the above method, you can make a shape with various flat/curved areas out of different materials, and as long as you can make a mold and cast it, you can then hollow out the result. But if you want it to form over, the resin pull will be sufficient.

Vac former: Just google home made Vac former. I found a couple of youtube vids about one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc_FZcGzYn0), and what the pulls look like (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE03-rGeZ_U). Just turn the volume down. The dude likes heavy rock...

Tools: I'd have to say the MOST indispensable too, i have for major modification work is my Dremel(Well, it's a generic motor tool and cost only $20, but it works exactly like a Dremel, for a fraction of the cost).
For hand tools, a sharp blade is handy, as is a pin-vise, selection of drills/compass points(For doing rivet lines).
I also have a pile of cheapo mechanical pencils which i use to mark the materials to be cut. And speaking of cuts, i have a steel rule with a cork backing, which i find to be invaluable for marking and cutting with(The cork stops it sliding). If you can't find one like that(I've had mine for about 15 years, and cannot find anything similar, even though i have looked!), you can get a normal steel rule from any hardware store, get some tough double sided tape, and tape a strip of 80 grit sandpaper to the back. That is enough that the rule will no longer slide, and you can also use it as a GIGANTIC sanding stick...

JediTricks
08-20-2008, 12:23 AM
Actually, the AT-TE was the EASIEST Hasbro toy i have ever taken apart. It comes apart very cleanly, with no adhesive(Some toys have been bonded together to stop people taking them apart for reverse engineering).I think the larger vehicles can't be glued at the seams because it takes too long to screw the halves together, the glue will spread too much before it mounts, but I could be wrong. Someone told me the new Falcon isn't glued together either.

The 302 was a labour of love. I am remastering the kit right now.Well, it came out great, I know a lot of Stargate fans dig it, especially since you still see 'em on Atlantis from time to time.

The main "wing" was made from MDF skinned with styrene, and the detail parts were scavenged from two STAP model kits(If you look at the pic, the wings are STAPs), and two Trade Federation Tank model kits(Which donated their main turrets for the lower cannons).I totally see the STAP wings, I didn't realize the model kit version was so much pointier than the Hasbro version (it makes sense, toy plus action gimmick stand, but I never thought about it).

I won't bore you by posting images, but i have a folder with a couple of scratchbuilds/toy mods in my photobucket account.
The folder is here. (http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Star%20wars%20builds/?start=all)The unpainted version of your ARC bomber shows the AAT turrets much better.

How did you get 2 of those military dudes into Zam's speeder cockpit when most of us can't get 1 figure in there? :p Wait, I see it, on your Republic Gunship with floor shots, they're a smaller scale than SW. People would flip out if Hasbro could do turret balls like the ones you started, but the scale thing plays into that.

Dig the engine glow on your ARC-120 Interceptor rear shot, the darker shots. Your astromech looks captured though. ;)

Don't be too hard on yourself. If that was a scratchbuild, it's quite good.
When trying to build something either from your own mind or from blueprints, you need to use the correct materials for the job, and need to plan ahead.It's actually a kitbash from 2 POTF2 sets, the Hasbro EU speederbike having the Deluxe Boba Fett backpack wings screwed onto the sides. Very very simple, but it actually kinda works for what I was going for. This was an example of a dirt cheap custom vehicle, both pieces were on mega-clearance for like $3 each at the time. For me, I'm very good at taking existing things and reinterpreting them into other things, but not much experience in turning unique ideas into anything. I have a bunch of from-scratch LEGO vehicles that are cute and fun, but only 2 I consider worthy of saying "wow" over (I never have photographed my LEGO customs before, but I should probably get those 2 shot).

Indeed.
There are many problems i face with the AT-TE. The centre section doesn't move, the middle legs don't swivel, the legs are too thick, cockpit too thick, detailing is wrong, and the rear ball turrets are too far apart...
Before i even started cutting, i asked myself whether i would have been better off just scratchbuilding a totally accurate one myself...
But i decided my version will be a variant. Not 100% accurate to the ones on screen, but more accurate than the toy is.
I am not putting the toy down. It says a lot for Hasbro to pop this one out there. But it could be a little better for my tastes.
And it will be better when i have finished.
Bar.The middle sections not swiveling is what kept me from buying it, I like that feature on the Action Fleet version and wanted to see this bug-derived walker maneuvering like that. Are the legs too thick? I hadn't noticed that before, we spent so much time convincing Tycho that they weren't just recycling the legs from the AT-AP that I never considered them on their own. :D

Good eye on the rear turrets, I've seen them enough in Battlefront II to know you're right.

Honestly, I don't know why Hasbro didn't go with the cockpit design you have going, I doubt it would have been much more trouble. But it's all subjective to them I guess, budgets and whatnot. So your hybrid will definitely kick booty on that.

Danoby@gmail.com"MOMMMM! The dog wants to go outside again!" ;) Very cool. So, does the putty harden inside the tabs, and if so, doesn't that create a problem when the tabs indent to rotate at the joint?

it would depend on the "job" in hand. I HAVE used lights in the past, but seldom use sounds.
I did a custom job on a GI JOE Night Ops Vamp (http://s6c.joebattlelines.com/toys/reviews/2inch/2006/deluxe/wave1/vamp.htm), where i repainted it all, added four wheel steering, and a custom lighting circuit meant for an R/C car. Here are some pics:
One (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Modded%20Gi%20Joe%20toys/VampCivilianversion1.jpg).
Two (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Modded%20Gi%20Joe%20toys/VampCivilianversion3.jpg).
Three (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Modded%20Gi%20Joe%20toys/VampCivilianversion4.jpg).
Four (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Modded%20Gi%20Joe%20toys/VampCivilianversion5.jpg).
Five (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Modded%20Gi%20Joe%20toys/VampCivilianversion7.jpg).

I did a few custom jobs on GI Joe Sigma Six vehicles, and the gallery of most of them is here (http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Modded%20Gi%20Joe%20toys/?start=all).I'm a fan of the little Sigma Six vehicles, and that definitely kicks a**! That Firebat with the new wings looks awesome.

I have used Vacuumforming in the past. I did a re-panelling job (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/CIMG0596.jpg)on the Jedi Starfighter (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/CIMG0597.jpg)from EpII once, and had the result vac-formed (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/jspiecesalltogether.jpg)using a local vacuum forming company. They weren't exactly cheap, but the cost wasn't too bad.
That would be something i'd invest in given the chance...I've seen some of the homemade vacuform machines made by Stormtrooper armorers, it looks pretty straightforward to make actually.

BTW, I didn't say anything before but I dig what you're coming up with on that AT-ST flatbed, keep us in the loop there wouldja?

Yes, i use those Sigmas for scale. My preferred scale is 1/24, and that's the scale of those little guys. They are indeed very close to the same scale as Starcom(And M.A.S.K.).Yeah buddy! Starcom and MASK are some of my great '80s toy loves after SW. SW, GI Joe, MASK, Starcom, anything that had awesome vehicles really caught my attention. Eventually the market started shifting away from vehicles so my LEGO building took over for a while. Sigma 6 vehicles definitely did it for me, I loved the modular nature of it all. I didn't get the Dragonhawk though because it took up too much room, of which I have totally run out.

I am working on a 1/24 Stargate (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Stargate%20Misc/Stargateprogresspics3.jpg), And the detailing just needs to be done (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Stargate%20Misc/Gatecomparisonimages3.jpg), but i will be also making one in 1/18(SW figures, and Gi Joe 3 3/4 scale).That is seriously rad! If you do one in 1/18th, I know a few folks who would love to get copies of that. I didn't realize the gate was SO much bigger than the folks walking through though, but it makes sense since they are putting small craft through them.

I think that is one thing I may eventually invest in. I may contact some of the guys with the 501st. They use large homemade vacuuming forming machines to make their armor from. If I can get a good lok at how they did it, I'll reproduce that in a smaller scale for model part.I don't have the links anymore, but I searched "stormtrooper armor vacuform machine" and came up with this on the very first link:
http://www.tk560.com/vactable4.html
To be honest, that one is WAY more compact and looks like less prone to mistakes than the one I was mentioning to Bar earlier in this post which had a vertical riser and heater instead of that fold-over concept here.

jedi master sal
08-20-2008, 10:16 AM
As Bar did, I'll keep out the extra Quote boxes...

Hmm, never thought to use those kinds of hinges. Do you have an example pic of how and where you used them?

I'll take a gnader at the Vac-form vids shortly. Busy at work at the moment and only have a minute or two.

Ah, indeed I have all the tools you mentioned. My Dremel has come in very handy for all sorts of projects. I have 3 of the cork-backed metal rulers you mentioned. I also use a glass cutting board. It's mounted to my drawing table for relative ease.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Check out this set (http://www.galactichunter.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=72&pos=17). Nothing new whatsoever, but it's still a very nice-looking presentation.

Ando
09-15-2008, 05:48 PM
It's pretty sweet and it took me a moment to say to myself, "hey moron, you already have ALL of this...".

JediTricks
09-15-2008, 06:40 PM
I am shocked they were able to get the AT-TE into a window box.

Bar
09-15-2008, 06:42 PM

I bet part of the surprise is that it's only HALF an AT-TE...

Ando
09-15-2008, 06:44 PM

If by shocked you mean "kind of aroused", then I agree with you.

Tycho
09-16-2008, 12:41 AM
It says "speaks in English" on the box.

I want one that speaks in Wookiee (Shryyywook actually - see I know my EU).

Aaaaaarggh. Woooof-Woooof. Grrrrrrr.

That will come with the Kashyyyk version.

JediTricks
09-18-2008, 04:53 PM
I bet part of the surprise is that it's only HALF an AT-TE...
:DThat would be pretty awesome, all sawed up. :p I'm sure the far side's legs aren't attached there, but there is a whole vehicle.

If by shocked you mean "kind of aroused", then I agree with you.Uhhh.... noooo.

Tycho
12-12-2008, 10:38 AM
I was just playing with my AT-TE (read: putting the legs back on :rolleyes: ) but I really like this vehicle and I'm so glad they made it!

I like BIG walkers - like this one and the AT-AT.

Ando
12-12-2008, 12:02 PM
I was just playing with my AT-TE (read: putting the legs back on :rolleyes: ) but I really like this vehicle and I'm so glad they made it!

Did you ever try the tubing fix, Tycho?

I agree, I like this vehicle a lot. I ended up with 6 (I got three of them in a buy 2, get 1 free sale) of these bad boys and I wish I had room to display them all and can't wait to be able to have them all set up permanently!

Tycho
12-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Did you ever try the tubing fix, Tycho?

Yes. It doesn't always hold that well.

I bought 2:

Geonosis
Utopau

On Geonosis, I plan to have clones led by Jedi running into battle underneath my AT-TE, so it's imperative the vehicle doesn't fall on top of them, knocking them all over.

I believe my displays are best leaving "less as more" to showcase the toy and not overshadow it by having too big of quantity of them.

Geonosis:

2 Homing Spider Droids
1 Hailfire Droid
2 Geonosian Fighters (fleeing)
1 Dooku Speederbike (fleeing)
2 Dwarf Spider Droids (or more? can't remember)
10 Super Battle Droids (or more?)
20 Battle Droids (or more?)
3 Vulcher Fighter Droids

1 Jedi Starfighter (piloted by Adi Galia according to EU)
2 Republic Gunships (Obi-Wan's, Yoda's)
AT-TE
25 Clone Troopers
Kit Fisto
Aayla Secura
SaeSee Tiin
Mace Windu
Shaak-Ti

something like this... Utopau will be less impressive but in a collaged scene, there will be Grievous' Wheelbike and Boga, a Homing Spider Droid, Crab Droids, a Republic Gunship probably, Republic BARC speederbikes, the AT-TE of course, maybe Vulcher Droid Fighters, plus IG-Magnaguard Droids and Commander Cody, General Grievous, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Utopau Warriors and their leader-dude, plus battle droids, destroyer droids, super battle droids, Utopau Clones, Airborne Clones, AT-TE Driver Clones, etc.

Ando
12-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Those sound like awesome displays, Tycho and very similar to what I would like to have when my wife and I have a house with enough room for me to properly display everything.

What size tubing did you buy? This could be the problem. Is it 3/16" outside diameter or 3/16" inside diameter (5/16" outside diameter). I used the 5/6" OD and can barely get the legs off when I go to repack them after showing them off.

Tycho
12-13-2008, 01:56 AM
I used the smaller one. I bought both and the larger OD just didn't fit well - I was having to force it too much.

The smaller OD works and the legs only collapse some of the time. But I don't mess with it a lot. Too bad, actually. It'd be a really fun toy if it were naturally tight.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Somebody on Rebelscum (http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/ATTE_Replacement_Legs_Detailed_119809.asp) got the replacement legs and put up pictures. I won't be getting any as of right now since mine are still fine . . .

Tycho
12-13-2008, 05:59 PM
I am feeling quite lazy. That is the main reason I can think of why I haven't bothered to go for new AT-TE legs.

I bought 2 - only 1 is opened. I think I tossed the receipt since it's longed expired since July 26 when I made the $750 purchase from that release (4 Homing Spiders, 2 V-19s, 1 BMF, 2 AT-TEs, Galactic Heroes, and basic figures).

But I think I only need to cut the proofs of purchases off the 2 AT-TE boxes - right?

I wonder if Hasbro really lost money on doing this vehicle? They have to fund replacement parts, plus they were hesitant to make it in the first place (we were asking since 2002). Then it debuts during the worst economic downturn in our lifetimes.

I hope future large vehicles include the TurboTank and Jabba's Sailbarge at the least (as I never shut-up about that), but I really wonder whether this will ever happen - especially in light of the replacement part costs on the AT-TE now.

I really hope both the other two unmade vehicles will have appearances in the Clone Wars animated series (surely possible) and maybe 2010's live-action TV show.

DarkJedi5
12-13-2008, 09:52 PM
But I think I only need to cut the proofs of purchases off the 2 AT-TE boxes - right?

Not even! I went to their website's customer service section and sent them an email explaining the problem. It took a little back and forth to prove to them that I wasn't an idiot and had actually assembled the thing properly. Once we got over that it was the same thing as everyone else, getting a letter in the mail once a month telling me that they didn't have them yet and then bam! They showed up in the mail today. It's only the "thigh" portion of the legs but I'll be able to swap them in and my AT-TE will finally be ready to go.

I mean seriously, I got the Spider droid the same day set them both up and fired vollies of missiles back and forth and one of the Spider droid's missiles hit the AT-TE and no joke it fell over. It was cool and at the same time depressing that that was all it took to cause the toy to fall apart.

Tycho
12-13-2008, 09:58 PM
My feet fall off the AT-TE as well. Except the back legs. They hold up perfectly for whatever reason. The front and middle legs are the ones that collapse.

Mvader91
12-13-2008, 10:19 PM
:cry:
My feet fall off the AT-TE as well. Except the back legs. They hold up perfectly for whatever reason. The front and middle legs are the ones that collapse.
This is such a tragedy! The worst craftsmanship ever> I returned three of these things hoping the large legs and back legs would not fall. Wrong!!! This thing sucks!

Tycho
12-13-2008, 11:05 PM
The plastic tubing solution from Home Depot works alright for me - usually. Like I said, I have some collapses and I don't PLAY with the toy. But I agree with Mvader91 that the craftsmanship on this (or quality control) whatever - is severely lacking. This needs to be an articulated, poseable toy to be played with my KIDS and at $100 they should have fun with it.

For my dioramas, the two I have should stand still for the most part. I last "fixed" mine 2 days ago and it's standing fine right in front of me now. But it's also not "posed" as if it were in battle. It's just standing there.

I'll likely "pose it" later and post in order to vent when it collapses. LOL.

DarkJedi5
12-14-2008, 04:35 PM
As far as the "feet" falling off, the replacement legs are also adjusted for the bottom as well so that it should help with the feet staying on.

JediTricks
12-14-2008, 04:42 PM
You can see the pegs on the new clear ones are slightly wider than the old opaque pegs, so there definitely is a redesign going on there. Just email Hasbro customer support and ask for the new legs.

jedibear
12-25-2008, 07:56 PM
I finally broke down and picked up one of these for myself. haven't had the chance to open it up and play yet,,,

Are the legs at least strong enough to pose and display it or should I call Hasbro for the replacements they are said to be offering?

bigbarada
12-25-2008, 10:41 PM
I finally broke down and picked up one of these for myself. haven't had the chance to open it up and play yet,,,

Are the legs at least strong enough to pose and display it or should I call Hasbro for the replacements they are said to be offering?

It seems to be different for every toy. I would say to try the 5/8" plastic tubing solution first, then if that doesn't help, then send in for the replacement legs.

I found the tubing at Rural King (think Wal-Mart for farmers) and it was only $0.19 a foot and I didn't need anywhere near a foot of it to fix all the legs on mine.

DarkArtist
12-26-2008, 08:20 AM
well Santa and my wife came through this year and found room on the sleigh for this beauty of a toy. finally a proud owner of the AT-TE......can't wait to open it up, load the batteries, get some clones and have fun. Whoo Hoo !!:D

jedibear
12-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Well, I "santa'd" myself with this one, and yes, DA...you're going to have a blast!

I know the big toy of the year for many has been the BMF....and yes, I'm sure it's really cool. I may find out myself someday....but this vehicle is the true toy of the year for me. Ever since I saw it being dropped into action on the rough red terrian of Geonosis, blasting it's way into battle, I'd hoped that Hasbro would give us it's version someday. They took their time...but it was time well-spent. While some may complain about the scale not being quite right, I think Hasbro did a fine job paring it down and yet providing it with enough detail and working features to make it really special. I haven't been this stoked about a SW vehicle since the early '80s and that AT-AT first lumbered into the SW collection...like this new incarnation, it's a vehicle that inspires one to interact and enjoy it...a true measure of a toy's success.

This thing is fantastic! It takes care to assemble, and I gotta say...for a kid's toy...it's a bit on the fragile side with it's many opening panels and missiles and legs and probably wouldn't withstand any rough play action (not that I plan on finding out), but as a play environment for a collector or a kid, it's a supreme knock-out!

Many folks have posted having difficulties and problems with the legs...but the one I got seems fine (so far). They went on solid and click into whatever position I choose. There was an additional small instruction sheet about the legs outside the polybag containing the sticker sheet, instructions and toy catalog that dealt with the leg issue...I followed those instructions and have a successfully standing AT-TE on display.

Here's a couple shots of mine...now I gotta go back and play!

Tycho
12-27-2008, 02:52 AM
Those are great pictures, JediBear. (A little blurry, but that made them cool, as a matter of fact.)

I'm not sure where you got the landscaped bases, but it looks like Utopau or Geonosis (or actually Tatooine).

Anyway, I also enjoyed reading your enthusiasm for playing with this toy. It was very inspirational.

JediTricks
12-28-2008, 07:04 PM
JB, glad to hear you dig it. Quick question: in that second shot, do you have the rear legs posed so one is back and the other is walking forward? The position is not like the movie and it's driving me crazy, I'm guessing it's a walking pose.

jedibear
12-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Yes...that "walking" pose is what I was going for...not quite like the movie (just watched part of AOTC again last night) but I think it looks cool.

Here's Cody keeping watch outside his AT-TE on patrol...

Totally enjoying this vehicle!

JediTricks
12-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Ok, cool, just wanted to make sure it was intentional. I think it didn't come through in the photo for me only because ya can't see the left rear leg as well.

Bar
12-29-2008, 02:21 AM
JB, glad to hear you dig it. Quick question: in that second shot, do you have the rear legs posed so one is back and the other is walking forward? The position is not like the movie and it's driving me crazy, I'm guessing it's a walking pose.

I know what you're saying.
The legs don't seem to bend that way from what we have seen before.
I have uploaded a 4-second segment from the clone wars movie to YouTube with AT-TE's walking in the background (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5i5loh5dg58&feature=channel_page)...
Bar.

DarkArtist
12-29-2008, 08:48 AM
well i finally took it out of the box yesterday and can say this vehicle is cool. the only thing that drives me nuts are the legs....one of the middle ones keeps falling off and maybe it's me but i can't figure out how to have all 6 legs touch the ground at the same time, always looks like the middle legs are hovering in the air.

gonna play around with it after work and maybe get some clones and take some pics for posting. thinking of sending away for the replacement legs though. seems kinda of crazy to send away for the legs when it's only one that is giving me the problem

Bar
12-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Mine is like that too. It either rests on the middle legs, or on the four front and back... I can't get mine to stand on six legs unless i do a "walking pose"
But on the plus side, i have never had the legs fall off mine...(Certainly that COULD be because i took mine apart and removed all the useless stuff, which shed a good bit of weight...).
Bar.

JediTricks
12-29-2008, 09:29 PM
I know what you're saying.
The legs don't seem to bend that way from what we have seen before.
I have uploaded a 4-second segment from the clone wars movie to YouTube with AT-TE's walking in the background (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5i5loh5dg58&feature=channel_page)...
Bar.
Ok, I see what you're getting at. The toy cannot move the hip that far forward compared to that animated version where the entire knee gets under the front armor, so accommodations have to be made.

well i finally took it out of the box yesterday and can say this vehicle is cool. the only thing that drives me nuts are the legs....one of the middle ones keeps falling off and maybe it's me but i can't figure out how to have all 6 legs touch the ground at the same time, always looks like the middle legs are hovering in the air.

gonna play around with it after work and maybe get some clones and take some pics for posting. thinking of sending away for the replacement legs though. seems kinda of crazy to send away for the legs when it's only one that is giving me the problemWhen I was messing with the AT-TE that Tycho got during Comic-Con, I found that starting with the middle legs down was the best way to go, plant them and then you can adjust the outer legs to fit that. You'll usually end up with either the nose or rear raised slightly, but all 6 legs will be on the ground.

As for the legs falling off, contact Hasbro and they'll send you a replacement set, it gets really annoying to watch this happen so that pays off quick.

Kidhuman
12-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Santa also brought me one this year and man I love it. I am glad I got this over the Falcon right now since I already have 2 older Falcons and have no room for a newer one. I need to dig out my clones and get some snapshots of them

Tycho
12-31-2008, 01:00 AM
I think the AT-TE is cool. I'm glad I got one. I remember how much I longed for one ever since 2002 and discussing it with Hasbro who gave fans "the big maybe" ever since that Comic Con. 6 years later, I'm very happy to own 2 of these vehicles (1 open).

Some day I'll have dioramas of Geonosis and Utopau set up and an AT-TE in both of them.

pegger
01-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Once I fixed the legs, I have to admit, I love this vehicle. It's awesome.

I'm very happy they made it (finally)

neosapian77
01-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Big dissapointment I had to replace the legs (which I should'nt have to do if I pay a hundred ****en dollars) and when I got the new legs they weren't stable either. horse****

Tycho
01-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Use the plastic tubing at Home Depot method. I have not sent away for better replacement legs, but I didn't think Hasbro's fix-it solution should garner a lot of confidence.

Rather this makes sense:

1) Have customers send in for replacement legs
2) Send them back the same molded legs, maybe use a different material
3) When that doesn't work, predict the customers will just give up

As opposed to:

1) Expend more money on casting a brand new mold for the legs
2) Give this production away for FREE
3) Have no clue how large demand will be for the replacement parts in the first place

RULE FOR LIVING: If something in life can possibly SUCK, then it probably will.

Anyway, sorry for your trouble Neosapian77. I'm in the same position as you are, but I'm not too worried. My Home Depot fix-it method is holding and I build dioramas with my toys and don't play with them per-se, such that I'm going to ever re-pose my AT-TE's legs.

neosapian77
01-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Use the plastic tubing at Home Depot method. I have not sent away for better replacement legs, but I didn't think Hasbro's fix-it solution should garner a lot of confidence.

Rather this makes sense:

1) Have customers send in for replacement legs
2) Send them back the same molded legs, maybe use a different material
3) When that doesn't work, predict the customers will just give up

As opposed to:

1) Expend more money on casting a brand new mold for the legs
2) Give this production away for FREE
3) Have no clue how large demand will be for the replacement parts in the first place

RULE FOR LIVING: If something in life can possibly SUCK, then it probably will.

Anyway, sorry for your trouble Neosapian77. I'm in the same position as you are, but I'm not too worried. My Home Depot fix-it method is holding and I build dioramas with my toys and don't play with them per-se, such that I'm going to ever re-pose my AT-TE's legs.

Thanks man. I guess I'll have to glue the legs (it's not like you have to repose them anyway lol) I build dioramas too but what sucks is when I play with them I have to put them back up again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh_96oTKw_g&feature=channel_page

clone157
01-17-2009, 02:40 PM
I just bought the AT-TE, ($65 at Wal-Mart:D) and I gotta tell ya I didn't have any problems with the legs other than when I was putting it together. It was odd, the legs, even though they all looked the same, would only go on correctly only on a particular leg. They would not attach properly unless it was on the leg it was meant for. So I had to try each leg individually. Don't ask me why, they all looked identical.

neosapian77
01-18-2009, 01:21 AM
I just bought the AT-TE, ($65 at Wal-Mart:D) and I gotta tell ya I didn't have any problems with the legs other than when I was putting it together. It was odd, the legs, even though they all looked the same, would only go on correctly only on a particular leg. They would not attach properly unless it was on the leg it was meant for. So I had to try each leg individually. Don't ask me why, they all looked identical.

SIXTY-FIVE DOLLARS!? OMG I want to kick myself in the head. I should've gone to Wal-mart

jedibear
01-18-2009, 02:41 PM
What if the AT-TE made it to Hoth?

Just havin' some outdoor fun...

Tycho
01-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Cool pictures JediBear. Do you have the Hailfire, AAT, and Homing Spider Droid? Maybe you could give us a picture of a battle?

Kidhuman
01-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Love it JediBear. Thats pretty sweet

Tycho
01-19-2009, 03:58 PM
My AT-TE's legs buckled (a little bit) once more. :mad:

mtriv73
01-22-2009, 10:54 AM
My AT-TE's legs buckled (a little bit) once more. :mad:

Get the replacement legs from Hasbro. I haven't had a bit of trouble since I put hem on.

Kidhuman
01-23-2009, 06:25 AM
DO we just call Hasbro or email them?

mtriv73
01-23-2009, 08:08 AM
DO we just call Hasbro or email them?

I just went through their website and contacted customer service. The next day I got an e-mail saying they apologize for the inconvenience and new legs will be shipped for me to my home. I had them 2 weeks later. I think I'll use the old ones as battle debris.

Tycho
01-23-2009, 08:11 AM
You might have just convinced me to finally write Hasbro. I'm glad you can do it by e-mail. That makes it easier.

I have 2 AT-TEs. I wonder if they'll even notice if I TWICE go through the process?

mtriv73
01-23-2009, 04:10 PM
You might have just convinced me to finally write Hasbro. I'm glad you can do it by e-mail. That makes it easier.

Yeah, if I had to drive to Rhode Island I wouldn't have bothered.

I have 2 AT-TEs. I wonder if they'll even notice if I TWICE go through the process?

If you do them at different times (or use different names) they'll probably never catch it. Since you actually have 2 it's not like you're trying to rip them off anyway.

JediTricks
01-23-2009, 09:38 PM
You should be able to call them as well, 800) FART-BOG. I kid you not, that's what their customer service number spells out.

El Chuxter
01-24-2009, 01:54 AM
I farted in a bog once. It made bubbles. Thick, stinky bubbles.

onebaldjedi
01-28-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm new here and trying to figure out how everything works including writing posts.

onebaldjedi
01-28-2009, 10:52 PM
What is a "quick reply" icon?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-28-2009, 11:54 PM
What is a "quick reply" icon?
Welcome! The quick reply icon is the one on the bottom far right of every post that looks like a quill writing on paper.

clone157
01-29-2009, 01:55 AM
I'm new here and trying to figure out how everything works including writing posts.

Welcome to the forums onebaldjedi! Everything looks good. :thumbsup:

Kaptain Curk
01-29-2009, 07:01 PM
I farted in a bog once. It made bubbles. Thick, stinky bubbles.

if you take vicodin ur farts will smell like horse plop

ATTEfan
02-13-2009, 12:13 PM

I have to say that it was this image that made me buy the AT-TE and convert it to an Iron Grenadier vehicle for my G.I. Joes. After taking some pictures though, I decided the 2005 G.I. Joe convention set makes for excellent Storm Troopers. (Shame I'm not a SW collector.)

http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/showimage.php?i=19464&catid=member&imageuser=114
http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/showimage.php?i=19463&catid=member&imageuser=114
http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/showimage.php?i=19462&catid=member&imageuser=114
http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/showimage.php?i=19461&catid=member&imageuser=114
http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/showimage.php?i=19460&catid=member&imageuser=114

Maradona
02-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Nicely done.

Tycho
02-26-2009, 08:58 AM
I just ordered replacement legs for my 2nd AT-TE!

I called the FART-BOG number!

My first set of AT-TE legs for my Geonosis AT-TE shipped on Feb 20th and it takes 7-10 business days to arrive, so I should be receiving them soon. Then I'm going to pretend my Clones use the AT-TE to invade a bog in order to fart in it!

If there are a ton of Clone Troopers and they are all genetically identical and they all ate the same thing for breakfast, do they smell their farts? I mean sometimes you can't smell your own farts. So if there are a lot of you, and you're all farting, could it be that nobody smells anything? Or maybe that's what their helmet filters are really for?

In the Karen Traviss Clone Trooper books, they say that Clones can distinguish other units' clones if they've been away from Kamino because they ate different things and they smell different until that local planet's food gets totally out of their system. Since you don't want to miss out on facts like these, this is why you should read the Star Wars Expanded Universe books!

I'm not certain, but I think the only fart in the entire Star Wars saga is that eopie at the podrace in TPM that farts on JarJar.

You remember that scene in ESB when Lando keys in his wrist commlink to start Cloud City's rebellion against the Empire, and Lobot seemed to be sitting there meditating? What if he was really on the toilet? What if the Ice Cream Maker Guy gave him a lot of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Lobot was lactose intolerant? If he really ripped one, maybe this would force the Empire, or at least their non-helmeted personnel, to fall back to safer positions, and that helped Leia, Chewie, C-3PO, and R2-D2 escape?

There was already a lot of gas on Bespin in the first place. It was a gaseous planet. But there were no bogs until Lando opened Bespin Fun World like 17 years after ROTJ in Star Wars' future. And then it was a simulated bog.

At this point, Lobot might have farted in a bog. I wonder if 2-1B came there to collect a stool sample?

Mad Slanted Powers
02-26-2009, 10:09 AM
The phone number could also spell FAST-ANI, which would fit the pod race sequence of TPM.

Tycho
02-26-2009, 07:05 PM
I got my first set of replacement legs from Hasbro today!

Dang they work well! Those legs fit on there tight and yet the AT-TE is still poseable and it stands tall enough that my Clone Troopers can stand under it!

I'm very glad I ordered the leg sets now.

Tycho
03-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I got my 2nd set of AT-TE legs for my 2nd walker from Hasbro today.

Now my mission is complete!

Phantom-like Menace
07-19-2009, 04:22 PM
I just walked into TRU today looking for anything new, maybe some fighter tanks. The AT-TE was on sale for half off! I grabbed one for my little brother, but I got out of there before I broke down and bought another. I could easily go pretty crazy at fifty bucks.

Maerj2000
07-19-2009, 09:05 PM
I got one of these too and really like it. My only complaint is that the missile that fits into the big gun in the center of it just shoots off by itself. It just doesn't hold the preojectile in there very well, anyone else have this problem?

Maradona
07-19-2009, 09:28 PM
I got one of these too and really like it. My only complaint is that the missile that fits into the big gun in the center of it just shoots off by itself. It just doesn't hold the preojectile in there very well, anyone else have this problem?

I have this problem whenever the missile is in there all the way. To prevent it from firing, I just push the projectile in as far as it will go without latching onto the spring mechanism.

Tycho
07-20-2009, 02:13 AM

Yes. Consistently, since the day I bought the thing. My AT-TE is only a couple weeks away from the 1-year anniversary of the first time it shot off it's missile all by itself. Since then, it never quit. Reminds me of something else...