PDA

View Full Version : California Wildfires

Tycho
10-22-2007, 08:21 PM
I just looked out the window, walked outside and smelled the faint smoke in the air, and thought we need a thread about this.

It won't really be my thread. The fires ARE in San Diego, but I cannot see them from where I live and my area seems relatively safe (central San Diego - a very suburban environment, with not too much open-space except on hillsides opposite the freeway and along the river banks).

But I want other Californians or concerned countrymen to have a place to post their experiences with the fires.

I have friends being evacuated right now and hurrying to rescue their animals (horses included along with cats, dogs, rabbits, etc.) And I may be boarding at least one friend or more until it is safe for her to return to her area.

One of my Star Wars buddies reported being able to see the hillside ablaze not very far from where he lives. Another SW buddy we have not heard from at all. (Update: he's on standbye evacuation - I was just told while I was typing this).

So if you have anything further that you want to contribute regarding the fires, now we have a thread for it.

I wish my fellow Californians all my best, hope for their safety, and good luck regarding the protection of their pets and property. We'll get through this like we did with the fires in 2004.

El Chuxter
10-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Not affected here yet, though my sister-in-law was evacuated this morning. The problem we've got around this area is the wind. It's been averaging 40-50 mph with gusts up to 85 mph. That's been going on for two days and, though it's slowed down a bit now (to only slightly above a "normal" windy day), it could continue through Wednesday morning. The dirt around the door is about three inches thick, and it's been coming in the closed windows so badly that I've had to vacuum around them twice a day. I've had all the ground cover stripped from the garden, trash cans knocked over, grill flipped, etc, but it looks like some people in the area are much worse so far (with trees broken, three foot deep mounds of dirt in the yards, etc.)

Like I said, no fire here at the moment. Of course, last year, the Esperanza fire came within about three miles of here.

stillakid
10-22-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm in the SF Valley so no immediate danger. We can always see the smoke in the distance either coming from Malibu or from the Northridge area... or out of the East from the Pasadena area. Lots of wind around here though. And damn hot too. What happened to Fall?

JetsAndHeels
10-22-2007, 09:10 PM
You guys stay safe out there...keep us updated on things.

Tycho
10-22-2007, 09:25 PM
I live right down the street (about 4 blocks walking distance) from Qualcomm Stadium (San Diego Chargers). It's been lit up and set up as a refugee relief center and families are being relocated there now.

It's strange because to drive around that area there is not much traffic at all and it doesn't seem like there's a state of disaster going on.

A public announcement was just made that ALL San Diego schools would be closed tomorrow - countywide.

JetsAndHeels
10-22-2007, 09:28 PM
I heard on espn radio that Ladainian Tomlinson had to evacuate his home due to the fire.

In a situation like this, money and fame mean nothing.

TeeEye7
10-22-2007, 10:45 PM
I live right down the street (about 4 blocks walking distance) from Qualcomm Stadium (San Diego Chargers). It's been lit up and set up as a refugee relief center and families are being relocated there now.

I would bet that my brother-in-law's in-laws are there. They live in the north part of the county and had to evacuate yesterday.

Ah, California life! If we're not getting rattled by earthquakes, we're getting fried by wild fires. Hence my "Shake N Bake" reference in my profile.

I'm further north, but was affected by the Zaca Fire that burned in the Santa Barbara area from July 4th until the first week of September this year (as the crow files, I'm about 90 miles east of Santa Barbara). For weeks we'd have partial sun due to the smoke layers, and almost everyday everything would be covered in a fine ash. A local weather guy showed a satellite image of the smoke layers that reached all the way to western New York state from the Zaca fire.

My wife is a Woodland Hills /(LA) girl (like, oh, my God! A valley girl!!) and she's been glued to good ol' Channel 9. We've got a lot of family in the area. We very much sympathize with what's going on. We also know what's going to happen when the rains come this winter, too.

We're thinking of you all! Be careful!

Dar' Argol
10-23-2007, 06:29 AM
With as bad as these fires are getting I hope all of our Cali friends here will remain safe. I cannot even imagine what some people are going through there. Just remain safe guys!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-23-2007, 07:27 AM
Ah, California life! If we're not getting rattled by earthquakes, we're getting fried by wild fires. Hence my "Shake N Bake" reference in my profile.

My wife is a Woodland Hills /(LA) girl (like, oh, my God! A valley girl!!) and she's been glued to good ol' Channel 9. We've got a lot of family in the area. We very much sympathize with what's going on. We also know what's going to happen when the rains come this winter, too.

We're thinking of you all! Be careful!I am in the western Inland Empire area, so we get those wide-open wicked winds, too. The school where I teach is near the foothills, so it's like a Weird Al album: Polka Party. No, wait: Even Worse. :rolleyes: The fires aren't as bad as the winds at this point; a heavy storage bin was slammed into the tennis court fence and dented it badly; by the end of the school day, the fences were downed. Thankfully, not much other damage. :fingerscrossed:

El Chuxter
10-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Damnation! I thought the winds were bad here, but I've not seen any storage bins getting blown around.

JEDIpartner
10-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Man alive! It's a mess out there!!!

We're all hoping for the best for you guys!!!

Old Fossil
10-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Hope all you California folks make it through this all right... good luck!

CaptainSolo1138
10-23-2007, 02:28 PM
I heard on espn radio that Ladainian Tomlinson had to evacuate his home due to the fire.

In a situation like this, money and fame mean nothing.I read a couple hours ago that the Chargers canceled practices due to 3/4 of the team having to evacuate their homes.

Be safe, guys.

spiritofsentinel
10-23-2007, 02:54 PM
I have a friend, single mom of a 2 y.o. and 4 golden retrievers that were evacuated at 2:00 am Monday morning. The cops gave them 2 minute to get out and as of right now, she has no idea what's going on with her home...San Diego County is a mess.

My other friends just purchased a home in action and with the wind, the blades of a 50 y.o. windmill broke and was flying around. They were also close to the fire but it turned the other way.

These are very small numbers of what has to be one the state's largest emergency situations. I will be waiting for the Federal Govertments response as to what they will give us to rebuild and take care of those in need. Bush as never been our friend.

JediTricks
10-23-2007, 03:25 PM
On Sunday, I went to West LA to visit my family, and from about 6 miles inland we could see a large cloud of brown smoke blowing south but JUST over the coast, not coming inland, it looked pretty bizarre.

A few mins ago, the sunlight turned more orange, that generally means the air is filling heavily with smoke & ash, since the sun's to the south I'm guessing that is from the San Diego fires which look MUCH worse than ours here in the LA area - half a million evacuees is shocking to hear.

I'm in the SF Valley so no immediate danger. We can always see the smoke in the distance either coming from Malibu or from the Northridge area... or out of the East from the Pasadena area. Lots of wind around here though. And damn hot too. What happened to Fall?There's no fire in the Pasadena area that I know of, there's fires in Malibu and a couple north of the valley. If you know diff, please LMK, I head east a lot.

El Chuxter
10-23-2007, 03:45 PM
What's especially frightening and concerning about the SD fires is that a few whole cities have been ordered to evacuate. Hearing that Fallbrook and Ramona were totally evacuated is more than a little sobering.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-23-2007, 03:54 PM
I talked to my buddy who is stationed at Pendleton and he mentioned how they were told not to come into work today and to plan on being evacuated as they were one of the few remaining areas that had people. He said he has no idea where they would go as there are fires all around them and he jokingly said they'd just ship them out to sea.

take care, you kids!

stillakid
10-23-2007, 04:52 PM
There's no fire in the Pasadena area that I know of, there's fires in Malibu and a couple north of the valley. If you know diff, please LMK, I head east a lot.

No smoke from the east yet. I just got back from running some errands and the wind has shifted, bringing the Malibu smoke over the Valley. Can really smell it now too.

El Chuxter
10-23-2007, 05:04 PM
I still can't see any smoke from Arrowhead, despite being relatively close. Maybe it's because this damned wind is blowing it away?

Speaking of wind, I was able to survey the yard a little while ago. (Meaning look more closely, not actually do precise measurements and such. :p) I couldn't tell from inside, but it's like it snowed about two inches, only it's dirt. I'm not comparing this to losing my house in the fires, but it's still going to be an inconvenience. :(

JediTricks
10-23-2007, 05:21 PM
No smoke from the east yet. I just got back from running some errands and the wind has shifted, bringing the Malibu smoke over the Valley. Can really smell it now too.
I thought that was the smoke from the north.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-23-2007, 06:22 PM
I still can't see any smoke from Arrowhead, despite being relatively close. Maybe it's because this damned wind is blowing it away?It must all be hanging around where we are, as the brown-orange cloud has just settled on the mountains here. Almost no winds at all, which is good for fighting the fires. Tough to breathe; guess I'll have to cancel my marathon training this week. I know I'll be cleaning out the ashes for a while, but that's better than having nothing to clean out at all. Prayers and thoughts to those in more danger.

stillakid
10-23-2007, 06:31 PM
I thought that was the smoke from the north.

I think it's from both sides now. It's gonna be a pretty sunset. Pretty orange that is.

My son's football practice was canceled because of the smoke in the air now.

JediTricks
10-24-2007, 04:24 AM
Yeah, in Hollywood, the horizon was orange from every direction, it's circling the LA basin, the sun and moon were both orange.

Rebo's_Guitarist
10-24-2007, 08:06 AM
My uncle lives in La Mesa, and it looks like he is about 8-10 miles from an exacuation zone.

But I saw that on Fox News......

JediTricks
10-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Chux, being near Arrowhead, have you been evacuated? I heard that area was mandatory as of last night.

El Chuxter
10-24-2007, 03:15 PM
I say "relatively close" even though it's more like 30 miles away. It just seems like it should be close enough to see smoke, which I still see none of. A slight haze to the west, but nothing really that out of the ordinary.

My wife works in Yucaipa, about 10 miles to the west of here. They're closing down the schools there for the rest of the week because the air quality is so bad there.

JediTricks
10-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Ah, ok, that's good to hear (relatively, it'd be better if there were no fires at all of course).

Bel-Cam Jos
10-27-2007, 10:05 AM
With the winds being fairly negligible now, that's helped a lot in the extinguishing process, but the air is quite bad. Thankfully not much of an ash or dust problem anymore, but the smoky air is just hanging around. Our school's doing a relief items effort, so help out in any ways you can, or ask for what you need! :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
10-27-2007, 05:33 PM
It's raining here today. It's cleaning out the crud (read: smoke and ash) in the air here locally. I'm hoping the weather is having a dramatic effect on the efforts south of me and giving my fellow Californios a break.

The rain is courtesy of tropical storm Kiko, coming up from Mexico. This is one boarder crossing that is quite welcomed!

TeeEye7
06-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Eight months later and here we are again in the Great State of Shake N Bake!

I'm really tired of the brown skies and orange sun. Not to mention it's hard to breathe. It sucks having all the smoke from the fires up north travel south and pile up against the mountains that surround me. It's like living in a bowl of smoke!

Yeeesh! How about a break, already! :hurt:

Tycho
06-28-2008, 10:53 AM
What area are you in TeeEye?

BTW, what does "TeeEye7" mean in your screen name?

To be forthcoming, I'm in San Diego of course, and Tycho is for Tycho Celchu - the one and same who's action figure I'm using as my avatar. I chose "Tycho" 13 years ago when I felt that maybe I wanted some anonymity online rather than admit to anyone who googled me by my real name that I'd never outgrown buying thousands of little plastic toys for 4 year olds, and took novels and comic books about such topics to be my idea of "literature."

TeeEye7
06-28-2008, 08:43 PM
What area are you in TeeEye?

Bakersfield.

BTW, what does "TeeEye7" mean in your screen name?

Before I get into that, it's worth a peek at the old "Explain your Username" thread to see the histories on other members' names. It's a good read!

"TeeEye7" is inspired by a couple of things. First, TI7 is my radio call sign at work. It's basically my identity at work, so I'm used to being called that. The TI comes from the unit I work in: Technical Investigations. It's an archaic term now in law enforcement ever since the television show CSI and its clones have become popular. Now, crime scene units have embraced the CSI carp and have adopted the name, but I'm a traditionalist and prefer the old title. My job title is: technical investigator. The second inspiration is that my call sign always reminds me of SW droids (such as FX-7, R2, C3PO, etc.). I thought it would be an appropriate name here at SSG. Also, I've spelled out the Tee Eye as a slight to G.Lu & Co. I hate it when R2-D2 and C3PO's names are rendered to "Artoo" and "Threepio" in print. I've always preferred the alpha/numeric look to their names instead of the attempt to humanize them. It's my little "in your face" protest.

Tycho
06-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Thank you for that interesting explanation! :thumbsup:

I don't mind "Threepio" or "Artoo," sometimes. It changes it up versus C-3PO and R2-D2.

If I were writing, I might use the R2-D2 type for narative, and use "Artoo" for dialogue like when Luke is talking to him and says it out loud.

bigbarada
06-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Thank you for that interesting explanation! :thumbsup:

I don't mind "Threepio" or "Artoo," sometimes. It changes it up versus C-3PO and R2-D2.

If I were writing, I might use the R2-D2 type for narative, and use "Artoo" for dialogue like when Luke is talking to him and says it out loud.

It's easier for me to type out See-Threepio or Artoo-Detoo rather than C-3PO or R2-D2. Probably because I learned to type traditionally and the phonetical names just flow easier when I'm typing and I don't have to do so much shifting and looking around on the keyboard for the number keys, then trying to decide if I should type an 'O' or and '0' for the last letter in Threepio's name.

So, Artoo comes just as easily to me as typing out Luke. Spelling it as R2 actually breaks my flow when I'm typing and I sometimes lose my train of thought.

TeeEye7
06-29-2008, 12:45 AM

It's easier for me to type out See-Threepio or Artoo-Detoo rather than C-3PO or R2-D2.

That's OK guys...I'll still keep you on my "Buddy List" despite your faults! ;)

plasticfetish
06-29-2008, 04:25 AM
I'm really tired of the brown skies and orange sun.Oh, what... fires in California again? In the summer time? Nahhhh!

;)

But seriously, you aren't used to it yet? After growing up in Northern California (18 years) and then living in Southern California (18 years), I'd probably inhaled the smoke from 100 wild fires. Just part of life.

TeeEye7
06-29-2008, 09:26 AM
But seriously, you aren't used to it yet?

Nope. It sucks. I'm a native californio (and old guy, to boot!) and I don't like breathing in air with chunks in it. Just part of life living here, I agree, but it still sucks! :yes:

CaptainSolo1138
07-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Seriously, I'm kind of worried about Chux. He hasn't posted here or elsewhere in a while.

Blue2th
07-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Seriously, I'm kind of worried about Chux. He hasn't posted here or elsewhere in a while.

Yeah, what's up with Chux?

mabudonicus
07-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Me and R-Deuce were wondering same- I have his phone #, I'll maybe try to call him up later just to be sure
:beard: Iso&Baws

I think it might be a vacation-related thing

Bel-Cam Jos
07-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Seriously, I'm kind of worried about Chux. He hasn't posted here or elsewhere in a while.Well, the fires aren't in his area (thankfully). I'm about 50 miles west o' his domain, so the winds'd send 'em our way if they were. :fingerscrossed:

The last few summers have been hotter, less humid (meaning NO water at all), windier, and apparently full of more stupider (yeah, that's right) people with carelessness and pyromania a-plenty. :mad:

CaptainSolo1138
07-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Well, the fires aren't in his area (thankfully). I'm about 50 miles west o' his domain, so the winds'd send 'em our way if they were. :fingerscrossed:Ah, good to know. I wasn't sure who was where (and my Cali geography skillz leave much to be desired). Thanks.

mabudonicus
07-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Okay good, I know he has been affected in the past by the fires so I was worryin like Cappy, still his non-existence is weird and I do think I'll call this evening, he almost always mentions when he's gonna disappear

Here's hopin

CaptainSolo1138
07-03-2008, 12:58 PM
He was kidnapped by Caesar and Rob Liefield and forced at (freakishly huge) gunpoint to recant his blasphemous words and admit that feet aren't really all that important when drawing comics.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Actually, a fire started around his area (maybe 15 miles northeast) yesterday. I swear I was nowhere near it, but I hope I didn't jinx things by mentioning it before. :(

Only smell of smoke I want to smell is barbeque, and someone behind me has already started around 7:30am. :drool:

jjreason
07-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Update - still no word from Chux. Anyone heard anything? I hate worrying for no reason..... :upset:

Tycho
07-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Update - still no word from Chux. Anyone heard anything? I hate worrying for no reason..... :upset:

I spoke to Chux on the phone, probably a week before last Friday or something (I think).

He was going out of town to visit family and so forth and wouldn't have internet access. I think his property and everything is alright. Maybe I'll phone later and just check up. I was going to wait until he was back or felt like talking - that's all.

Blue2th
07-06-2008, 11:43 PM
I spoke to Chux on the phone, probably a week before last Friday or something (I think).

He was going out of town to visit family and so forth and wouldn't have internet access. I think his property and everything is alright. Maybe I'll phone later and just check up. I was going to wait until he was back or felt like talking - that's all.

I think you two are in the "most-worried-about-club" this week. :)

mabudonicus
07-07-2008, 08:40 AM
HA well sometimes it's nice to know folks care... and this is nothin, last summer I "disappeared" from the 'net for THREE DAYS unannounced and two of our resident law-enforcement types were ready to send out a posse, it took us more than a week to even wonder about ol Chux ;)

When I "disappeared" my whole town wasn't on fire, either :)

El Chuxter
07-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Long story short, I'm back, and I'm not dead. I'm short on time right now, though, and will be back with sordid details (not) later.

jjreason
07-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Good - I'll just tell you to knock off Slicker's mom after 48 hrs next time so we don't have to get all antsy in the pantsy. :mad:

TeeEye7
07-08-2008, 01:39 AM
The wind shifted today and we were treated with eerie orange skies all day because of the smoke. East of where I live, our local firefighters are battling the Piute fire (Is CA the only state that names its fires?).

Things look to get worse in the next couple of days as our temps will flirt with 110 degrees. That will help the fire and not the firefighters.

:upset:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-08-2008, 02:04 PM
The wind shifted today and we were treated with eerie orange skies all day because of the smoke. East of where I live, our local firefighters are battling the Piute fire (Is CA the only state that names its fires?).

Things look to get worse in the next couple of days as our temps will flirt with 110 degrees. That will help the fire and not the firefighters.

:upset:Can Mother Nature get arrested for child neglect?

I read a firefigter book, and I believe the name for a fire is given by the first person on the scene to notice it (often, it's based on something nearby, like a street name, location, etc.).

jamesbondo07
07-08-2008, 03:55 PM
We need to trade. I'll trade you your dry weather for our rain. PM me if interested. :grin:

TeeEye7
07-09-2008, 07:33 PM
I read a firefigter book, and I believe the name for a fire is given by the first person on the scene to notice it (often, it's based on something nearby, like a street name, location, etc.).

Thanks for that. It explains much.

We need to trade. I'll trade you your dry weather for our rain. PM me if interested. :grin:

108 degrees today with lots o' smoke :cough:. I'd gladly take some rain to cool this place off and clean out the air! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks for that. It explains much.

108 degrees today with lots o' smoke :cough:. I'd gladly take some rain to cool this place off and clean out the air! :thumbsup:[note: this is a re-post, as some glitch claiming to be a Forums update sent me weird-ways... unless the wildfires are spreading to cyberspace! :eek: ]

Again, the Grand Prix fire that swept through this area about 5 years back was named after the street where the first call of a fire was; some people thought it was due to the speed with which the flames moved, like it was as fast as a car race (they were wrong! :p ).

We might get thunderstorms here today, but probably not. :cry: (can I use these tears instead?)

TeeEye7
07-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks Canada! :thumbsup:

Just heard on the news that Canada is sending more air tankers to help with the fire fighting efforts in my crispy state of Kahli-Fornya. The report also stated that Mexico and, unbelievably, New Zealand was sending fire fighters as well. Events like this are usually good training opportunities for other agencies and/or countries. I'll be glad to get rid of the brown/orange skies. I'm tired of breathing in chunks in the air.

Tycho
07-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Interestingly enough, in San Diego you can't tell there is anything like this happening. It's a little overcast from the ocean fog, but there's clean air and it's all around nice outside.

Old Fossil
07-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Best of luck to all you Californians affected by the fire. Y'all need a break from the fires and whatnot for a good couple of decades.

Tycho
07-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Best of luck to all you Californians affected by the fire. Y'all need a break from the fires and whatnot for a good couple of decades.

Amen. San Diego already DID have her share - twice!

Blue2th
07-13-2008, 01:48 AM
Amen. San Diego already DID have her share - twice!
When it's nice in SD it is nice!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-13-2008, 10:23 AM
We got a brief heavy downpoar last night. Hope that water got to the places it needs to help slaughter those flames (aka plant butchers). :lipsrsealed:

TeeEye7
07-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Interestingly enough, in San Diego you can't tell there is anything like this happening. It's a little overcast from the ocean fog, but there's clean air and it's all around nice outside.

That's because SD doesn't have the geography conducive to trapping all the carp in the air like I do :niceoceanbreezesallthetimeandnomountiansonthreesi deslikethesouthernendofthesanjoaquinvallely:

TeeEye7
10-14-2008, 10:10 AM
They're baaaack! (Unfortunately). :mad:

Santa Ana winds + SoCal dryness = flambé time. I'm most concern about the fire around the Porter Ranch area as we have SSGers living close by, as well as I have family not too far away, too. I used to live in the northern Glendale/La Crescenta area and I see it's having problems there.

Yesterday my city and county fire departments have already sent strike crews south to help out with the mess (as usual).

Be careful, everyone! :sad:

TeeEye7
11-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Stupid jerk psychos!
I vote for an open season on them! :mad:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Woke up this morning (sounds like the opening of every blues song), and it felt like I was in a bar, prior to CA's no indoor smoking laws. It's slightly better now, but still thick. Last night, I was a mile from the I-10 freeway and could see the Yorba Linda/Anaheim Hills flames, but oddly when I went further north and higher in elevation, thinking I'd have a better vantage point, could see nothing.

I'm surrounded, but thankfully they're not too close: Sylmar to the NW, Corona to the SE, Yorba Linda to the SW. Cajon Pass region has been mercifully saved to the NE. : pray: :yes:

Saw a moron light up his cig in his car (bad enough), then do the stick-it-out-the-window-and-hold-it-on-my-car-door-'cause-I'm-so-cool thing. Never have I wanted a squirt gun so badly. Can't you see/smell what's going on around you, dude? :mad:

stillakid
11-16-2008, 01:22 PM
The air is reminiscent of waking up at a campground, the remnants of last night's campfire still lingering.

JediTricks
11-21-2008, 03:38 AM
I was already having a bout with asthma and then a cold when the fires kicked up, I went outside and nearly passed out, it was really that bad.

TeeEye7
05-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Santa Barbara is now burning literally and figuratively. Million dollar homes going up in smoke in 100º weather. :hurt:

With the budget also hurting, it will be interesting to see what kind of resources will be available to suppress this fire.

TeeEye7
05-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Not only is Santa Barbara burning, but now it's shaking. A 4.2 magnitude earthquake near Ojai today........

Bel-Cam Jos
05-09-2009, 08:47 AM
With the budget also hurting, it will be interesting to see what kind of resources will be available to suppress this fire.Hire James Taylor to sing there: "I've seen fire, and I've seen rain." :pleased:

It's supposed to be a tad cooler and more overcast in the mornings, this weekend. Weather report last night even said humidity could be as much as 70%. I hope that helps 'em out.

A 4.2 magnitude earthquake near Ojai today........ There've been a few more 3.something quakes lately. I'm getting a Ben Kenobi "bad feeling about [all] this." :sad:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-26-2009, 08:35 PM
As Ahnold might paraphrase, "they're back." Grr... doesn't help that we're in the midst of 100+ degrees weather right now also.

TeeEye7
08-29-2009, 12:37 PM
We had a major appearance in the form of smoke from the wild fires burning in SoCal last night. Eerie skies and really, really crummy air quality. I'm assuming it's courtesy of the LaCañada-Flintridge area (know it well....used to live just west of there in the days of yore).

Amazing the effect fires can have on another area such as mine; 100 miles away from the point of origin.

[edit] Here's some photos of this evening's sky. The winds have shifted and we're starting to have the smoke drift over again. We had clear skies all day until now. This is looking east at the end of my street.

Slicker
08-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Wildfires?! In California?!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Hey, we're just weird that way. I think someone, perhaps a top leader at the state capital, is just trying to get the insurance money by torching the place.

They've been messing with nature, as sometimes, the sunsets are more vivid in the east than west, or sunrises looking redder in the opposite direction as normal. It feels dryly humid (figure that one out, Slick) with the cloud/smoke cover trapping the heat and making the air feel "thick" but being so dry from the high temps (107+ yesterday... only 5-10 degrees "cooler" expected today). Local news is bringing out their fire logos and sound bites.

Darth Cruel
08-30-2009, 10:06 AM
For us, here in Pinon Hills, it is the sunsets that are more colorful, now, because we are East of the fires.

Oh...and your fires are dropping a bunch of ash on my car...I just washed it. Wanna point those things in another direction?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-30-2009, 03:17 PM
We'll take any and all of the rain that's been hitting the east. That'll help the flames and smoke and ash problem quite well.

El Chuxter
08-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Saw one today when I was working outside, pretty close. It must've been around Oak Glen, just north of Calimesa.

TeeEye7
08-31-2009, 10:23 AM
Welcome to the land of shake and bake:

This is an interesting map showing fire activity in California both past and present (since the beginning of this year):

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/activefiremaps.php?op=maps&rCode=cgb

El Chuxter
08-31-2009, 11:38 AM
The view from my front lawn at around 6 AM this morning. (Not to worry--it's not nearly as close as it looks. Probably still a good 8-10 miles away, worst case.)

And I was right--this one is in Oak Glen.

JediTricks
08-31-2009, 04:47 PM
I spent some of my earliest years in the La Canada/Flintridge area, my grandfather's ashram is even up there, and it doesn't surprise me to see it burning again, that area goes up all the time - drought begets dry plants, high heat makes it easy to ignite dry plants, dead plants loosen soil, rains come in months later and flood without the plants, lather rinse repeat. However, it's bizarre to see it burning at the same time as parts of the Angeles Forest and the San Bernadino mountains. Yet it's La Canada fire that looks like a big mushroom cloud every day when I go outside, and it's the only one I can see burning from the freeway at night.

Darth Cruel
08-31-2009, 05:06 PM
My wife just told me that there are evacuations about 35 miles from me in Pearblossom. I am not worried at this point because the brush is a little more sparse here. The fires have come closer than that before (from the other direction) and didn't make it to us. But I guess I better start watching very closely. School has been closed in the Snowline School district due to the unhealthfully smokey air.

JediTricks
08-31-2009, 05:23 PM
The air is a little smokey here, but nothing like what you're describing, that's awful to hear it's so bad where you are. Hope you guys stay safe and survive all of this unscathed!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2009, 06:34 AM
The other morning, I thought I was in Pigeon Forge, TN. The smoke had just slowly hung over the tops of the foothills. Yesterday when I got to my classroom, some smoke smell was lingering inside the room. Not good, and the school's pretty far from the major fire spots, too.

El Chuxter
09-01-2009, 07:16 AM
A second fire in Yucaipa this morning. Looks like it may be arson. Unofficial word is they suspect kids trying to get out of school today. It'd really ruin someone's future if they were found guilty of setting a fire that might burn hundreds of homes just to get out of class a mere three weeks into the school year. :dead:

Darth Cruel
09-01-2009, 01:21 PM
The air is a little smokey here, but nothing like what you're describing, that's awful to hear it's so bad where you are. Hope you guys stay safe and survive all of this unscathed!

Thanks...but I think the smoke will be the biggest problem.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2009, 05:48 PM
A second fire in Yucaipa this morning. Looks like it may be arson. Unofficial word is they suspect kids trying to get out of school today. It'd really ruin someone's future if they were found guilty of setting a fire that might burn hundreds of homes just to get out of class a mere three weeks into the school year. :dead:Use those kids as fire blocks then. Sorry; I know that's evil. But I really hate selfish people who hurt other people brainlessly. :mad:

They moved our school's first home football game south about 10 miles. Yeah, that'll be MUCH better air further down in the Inland Valley... :rolleyes:

CaptainSolo1138
09-01-2009, 11:52 PM
To: California wildfires
Re: Smoke

It has recently come to my attention that the "haze" blocking my view of the Rocky Mountains for the past 48 hours is actually your smoke.

If you would, please return this view to normal in due time. Thank you.

Also, the sun and moon are reddish. If we lived 2,000 years ago someone would've been sacrificed for it by now. Again, you might wanna get on fixing this.

Blue2th
09-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Yup, we are getting that smoke out here in the lower Rockies now. :ninja:

They're using DC-10 jets and giant flying boats to put out some fires. You guys seen these or are they more out in the rural areas?

Seems to me if one crashed there would be a huge fire.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1ed_1251750707

Bel-Cam Jos
09-06-2009, 08:41 PM
There was blue sky this morning! :) And only a light haze for most of the rest of the day. I heard only 51% containment so far.

El Chuxter
10-18-2009, 02:56 AM
Not exactly a fire, but get a load of this....

I live in a desert. We're in the middle of a drought. Winds are always high in this area.

You may notice the time I'm posting this. Why am I up so late? Because some absolute fool has been setting off fireworks in the intersection outside my house! We called the cops, who haven't shown up, and I've not seen anyone actually set one yet, just heard voices and seen the fireworks as they go off.

Really, how can anyone be that stupid?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-18-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm behind cigarette-tossing moronic drivers all the time. I really think to improve our economy and legal system overcrowding that... wait. Don't want to say something that'll Rancor Pit-ize this thread. :upset: Short answer to your query, Chux: yes, they CAN be that stupid.

TeeEye7
10-18-2009, 01:21 PM

I can answer that. Got a couple of months to listen?

JediTricks
11-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Not exactly a fire, but get a load of this....

I live in a desert. We're in the middle of a drought. Winds are always high in this area.

You may notice the time I'm posting this. Why am I up so late? Because some absolute fool has been setting off fireworks in the intersection outside my house! We called the cops, who haven't shown up, and I've not seen anyone actually set one yet, just heard voices and seen the fireworks as they go off.

Should have turned the hose on him. ;)

Tycho
11-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Nah. It can get cold in the desert at night this time of year - and now I'm out of fireworks until I drive down to Mexico to buy some more to set off in a pile of dry leaves on New Year's Eve.

Meanwhile, I need to acquire some plutonium so I can make my Terminator toys look like they've been through a nuclear explosion.

Don't worry Chux. I don't think the blast wave will reach you that far east. I just need to get the effect on my Tonka Toys towing truck. :yes:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Hard to believe this destruction was a full decade ago. :sad: Well, at least the Grand Prix Fire and Old Fire of '03.