PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars car?!

Exhaust Port
10-24-2007, 02:05 PM
2007 Dodge Avenger Stormtrooper.

http://news.windingroad.com/aftermarket/2007-sema-preview-we-drive-dodges-avenger-stormtrooper/

I don't know if it screams SW when I look at it but perhaps in person it would look better. Still a great name for a car variant.

JediTricks
10-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Cute idea, too bad the Avenger is a boring car. On a Charger it would have been more aggressive and thus Stormtroopery.

Exhaust Port
10-24-2007, 03:45 PM
I went to the Cleveland car show last year which gave me a chance to sit in the new Charger. I was surprised to find I liked the inside a lot to the point I would consider that model if I was shopping for that type of car. But I still don't like the "charger" body at all. Call it something else. Even with that being said I agree that the Charger would be a better Stormtrooper vehicle.

JediTricks
10-24-2007, 09:01 PM
I tried one out at the LA Auto Show last year and liked it, I've always liked the way it looked though, tres aggressive. I know it's not a true Charger since it's a 4-door and based off a Mercedes Benz body and the doors aren't welded shut and there's no confederate flag on the top, but still kinda cool. I liked the Dodge Magnum though too, they're related. The Avenger is basically them without the aggressive looks, but at that point it's just a Chrysler Mercedes sedan.

If Darth Vader drove a car, it'd be the Charger... or a Chevy Astrovan. :p

Exhaust Port
10-24-2007, 10:38 PM
I know it's not a true Charger since it's a 4-door and based off a Mercedes Benz body and the doors aren't welded shut and there's no confederate flag on the top, but still kinda cool.

The 4-door thing is big but visually it's the lack of a long hood that throws off the Charger proportions. Too much in the seating area.

I saw a picture of the new Charger painted up like the GL but it really didn't look right. The new Charger looks too mean to wear it while the older style is more agile. They did convert the Charger to a 2 door though, that looked better.

If Darth Vader drove a car, it'd be the Charger... or a Chevy Astrovan. :p

I envisioned him arriving in this thing.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/2005/2005-International-CXT-Pickup-Truck-FA-Rocks-1024x768.htm

TeeEye7
10-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Dodge lent my agency their police-package Charger for trials. This is what it looked like:

BTW: Good to have you back, EP!

Exhaust Port
10-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks, it's enjoyable to be back. :)

How did your agency like the Charger? I don't think I've seen any using the car yet, at least around here.

TeeEye7
10-25-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm not sure what the final verdict was. I know some of our NFL lineman-sized deputies are concerned about going to them because the Charger is downsized from the Ford Crown Victorias we currently use. They're afraid that the combination of smaller car, their size, and all their toys they carry around their middle that it will be cause for concern (like the ability to get in and out in a hurry). I'm not sure if we are going to go Charger or not. For some reason, the brass never let's me in on the decision-making around the department! ;)

Our fleet does have some non-police package Chargers for civilian employees in use now. The general opinion is very favorable.

stillakid
10-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Which brings to mind an old Star Wars adage: “There is no try. Only do.”

He got the car wrong and they got the line above wrong too.

THIS is Vader's car: The Toyota Volta (Yes, a TOYOTA!)

http://www.moteurnature.com/zvisu/2004/geneve/toyota-volta.jpg

http://images.motortrend.com/auto_shows/coverage/detroit/112_06naias_01z_italdesig_gGiugiaro_toyota_volta_f ront_passenger_side.jpg

http://www.studioglyphic.com/images/blog/toyota-alta3-overhead.jpg

JediTricks
10-25-2007, 02:48 PM
The 4-door thing is big but visually it's the lack of a long hood that throws off the Charger proportions. Too much in the seating area.You know, when you put it that way, maybe we should redefine the muscle car anyway. I hate that cramped seating situation, at 6' I really would like some leg AND headroom. The hood isn't long enough though, but the trunk is short.

I saw a picture of the new Charger painted up like the GL but it really didn't look right. The new Charger looks too mean to wear it while the older style is more agile. They did convert the Charger to a 2 door though, that looked better.Might that be the new Challenger concept then? It's a 2-door modification of the Charger body, leaner front end - really weak rear end though. Hit me up with a link, I wanna see it. I found this paint job version: http://www.autoblog.com/2005/07/30/2005-dodge-charger-general-lee/
I think it looks alright actually, but it needs the bullbars and correct wheels damnit! Those wheels blow me away, even when I see 'em on some decrepit old '70s Dodge van.

I envisioned him arriving in this thing.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/2005/2005-International-CXT-Pickup-Truck-FA-Rocks-1024x768.htmI dunno, as funny as the CXT is, I think International made it look too much like one of those plastic electric toy trucks the little kids ride on. :p Plus, it's not fast enough. Vader should be in a Honda Civic del Sol. ;)

How did your agency like the Charger? I don't think I've seen any using the car yet, at least around here.Out here, Glendale and Arcadia are using them, and they're pretty wild-looking. I think they look way better than the amorphous, oversized blob that is the Crown Victoria and Caprice.

THIS is Vader's car: The Toyota Volta (Yes, a TOYOTA!)

http://www.moteurnature.com/zvisu/2004/geneve/toyota-volta.jpg

http://images.motortrend.com/auto_shows/coverage/detroit/112_06naias_01z_italdesig_gGiugiaro_toyota_volta_f ront_passenger_side.jpg

http://www.studioglyphic.com/images/blog/toyota-alta3-overhead.jpgI don't see it, doesn't look mean enough for Vader, too much of a generic futuremobile - not that I don't think it looks slick, but not Vader.

Nosir, Vader would run in the Maybach Exelero (attached, I took those at the aforementioned LA auto show, it's even more batmobilesque in person). And here it is hitting its top speed of 218mph: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iICBPqOXMWo

Exhaust Port
10-25-2007, 05:03 PM
You know, when you put it that way, maybe we should redefine the muscle car anyway. I hate that cramped seating situation, at 6' I really would like some leg AND headroom. The hood isn't long enough though, but the trunk is short.

From what I see comparing the old with new/retro muscle cars it's about the proportions. I think the new Mustang nails it while, as I mentioned before, the Charger just misses the mark. I'll have to look into the Challenger, I've missed that development.

At 6'6" I too appreciate the leg AND headroom but very few cars offer that anymore unless you drive some grotesque SUV.

Might that be the new Challenger concept then? It's a 2-door modification of the Charger body, leaner front end - really weak rear end though. Hit me up with a link, I wanna see it.

The picture you found seems to be the same car I saw pictures of before. The 01 doesn't look right either.

I think it looks alright actually, but it needs the bullbars and correct wheels damnit! Those wheels blow me away, even when I see 'em on some decrepit old '70s Dodge van.

I agree, the wheels are a huge part of the look. I never paid them much attention until I saw a car with the wrong wheels and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Nosir, Vader would run in the Maybach Exelero (attached, I took those at the aforementioned LA auto show, it's even more batmobilesque in person). And here it is hitting its top speed of 218mph: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iICBPqOXMWo

Now that is one awesome looking vehicle! You can almost hear the Imperial march.... :)

JediTricks
10-26-2007, 07:17 PM
From what I see comparing the old with new/retro muscle cars it's about the proportions. I think the new Mustang nails it while, as I mentioned before, the Charger just misses the mark. I'll have to look into the Challenger, I've missed that development.The Challenger has a good profile and front end: http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/04/dodge-challenger-concept-photo-gallery/

I think the Charger has the look from the front and 3/4rs, it's got that aggressive front end and haunches, but of course the 4-door middle is where it loses many fans. Still, I'd rather have a performer than a nice-looking lemon.

I think of all the new throwback muscle cars, the new Camaro easily schools the Stang and everybody else, but it's not on the road for another 10 months at least. The Mustang I agree is a good departure from the previous version and throws back well to its roots, I'm not actually a huge fan of the line in general and especially the original they're calling to, but I think this new one is a'ight. Still, they're everywhere and most aren't with hot options, the stock look is already beginning to bore me on it.

At 6'6" I too appreciate the leg AND headroom but very few cars offer that anymore unless you drive some grotesque SUV.My stepdad's 6'7" and tried on a Charger at the auto show, said it was pretty good.

I agree, the wheels are a huge part of the look. I never paid them much attention until I saw a car with the wrong wheels and it sticks out like a sore thumb.Nobody pays attention to the wheels unfortunately, so you see a lot of toy versions with wrong wheels and a lot of folks trying to pull off a copy without them - this is the same problem with repros pf KITT from Knight Rider and even the A-Team's van (which are, in fact, the same wheels as on the General Lee but painted red).

Now that is one awesome looking vehicle! You can almost hear the Imperial march.... :)Yeah, totally! They hid it in a corner of the big show, but any time 1 person would take notice of it, a crowd would soon follow, it's got atmosphere and that atmosphere seems to be Sith-related. :thumbsup:

Exhaust Port
10-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Ok this is weird. We headed to our neighboring town to get copy of the marriage license. The office we needed is in the courthouse there and when we parked we were on the same area as one of the new Charger Police cars and it was from our home city. So after saying that I hadn't seen one yet I did today and it turns out our city is getting them.

It looks sharp in the police livery but our police department has included a picture of their police station on the side of the car. The building looks like warehouse or something with no actual architectural design what so ever. Why would they put that on there? I'm sure most of the officers rolled their eyes at that decision.

Taking a peak inside the window it looks a bit small in the front and in the back, at least not as big as I remember seeing with the Crown Vics. (not that I've ever had a reason to be locked in one) :)

JediTricks
10-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Geez, what's the point of putting a building like that on the side of a cruiser? Just stick with a badge or a taser or something. :p

Well, it does have the head and legroom in the front despite not looking it. I've never noticed Crown Vic's and Caprice Classics actually have that much room in the back though, I've seen the recent police cruisers of both, with the added window and shield thing there's NO room back there for a human being's legs. Both cars are a lot of engine bay and trunk really.

TeeEye7
10-31-2007, 02:11 AM
Geez, what's the point of putting a building like that on the side of a cruiser? Just stick with a badge or a taser or something. :p

And what, pray tell sir, is wrong with the outline of a donut? ;)
(Hey! You all know I can get away with saying that.....)

JediTricks
10-31-2007, 03:23 AM
Dental insurance rates would skyrocket. :p

(is that not enough of the joke for ya's?)

TeeEye7
10-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Dental insurance rates would skyrocket. :p

Nooooooo way! Cop soul food doesn't cause tooth decay! Donuts are actually a secret weapon. It's how we take a bite out of crime! :ninja:

JediTricks
11-01-2007, 07:16 PM
I was saying they'd try to take a bite out of the doors. :p

TeeEye7
11-01-2007, 11:10 PM
I was saying they'd try to take a bite out of the doors. :p

I know guys that would try that! They kinda have that Buford T. Justice look going for them!

timmae
11-02-2007, 11:24 AM
the maul viper would have been better. we'd have to cut back on our plastic habits though.

JediTricks
11-27-2007, 09:24 PM
I saw the Stormtrooper Avenger at the LA Auto Show on Sunday, it looks nicer in person but not particularly Star Warsy. The white color and smoked lenses do stand out from other white cars though, that's for sure.

As for the Charger's seating area, I tried one on at the show, I'm a big guy but it definitely has way more room that you'd think, I was surprised by how decent the extra room in the front area was, and the steering wheel can get out of the way for any amount of gear (it floats way up and down, and slides in and out). I don't think cops would have any trouble with space issues on this car.

I also tried on a Mustang - very tight, uncomfortable.

Exhaust Port
11-27-2007, 10:24 PM
The Mustang seems a bit tight for my frame as well. Too bad, I really like the new styling.

JediTricks
11-30-2007, 03:40 AM
It's weird, of all the sporty cars, it seems to be the tallest (even more than the Scion tC) yet it's got not that much interior room for the driver.