PDA

View Full Version : What would you start over with?

Sean the Hutt
10-23-2007, 04:47 PM
I live in San Diego...I had to walk away last night when the fires hit...surprisingly I took no star wars at all! I thought I should grab the vintage sand crawler at least, but it would only be a painful reminder of my lost collection....while evacuated I told myself, "if the collection is gone, I will quit collecting".I had no problems with it. I'm in my house now...collection ok, though I am still in an evac zone...so who knows!
I guess I could have had The best crispy collection around...crispy greedo? no problem, crispy owen and beru? right over here! crispy jawas? oh yes I have many! lol
c-ya

JediTricks
10-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Wow, that's crazy Sean! At least you're ok. Is the collection insured?

I know another San Diegan collector who went through what you just mentioned, he also didn't take any of his SW but I suspect unlike you, if it had gotten burned up he would have kept collecting because he has that "gotta catch 'em all" thing going.

I must admit, if my collection were to disappear for whatever reason, I'd probably stop collecting for the most part even if I got an insurance settlement. I bet 6 months later though I'd buy some key figures that were easy to find and that'd get me going again, but I'd be WAY more selective about rebuying. :p

Mad Slanted Powers
10-23-2007, 06:45 PM
I must admit, if my collection were to disappear for whatever reason, I'd probably stop collecting for the most part even if I got an insurance settlement. I bet 6 months later though I'd buy some key figures that were easy to find and that'd get me going again, but I'd be WAY more selective about rebuying. :pYes, I suppose that would be my approach if I had to start over. With so many repacks, repaints and resculpts, I could pick and choose which ones to get. I probably wouldn't bother replacing most of the POTF2 ones. I wouldn't need to replace every Vader and Tatooine Luke.

Sean the Hutt
10-23-2007, 11:01 PM
yea after further thought i would have to replace the ships at least....cantina stuff too!
star wars original trilogy stuff only though

Droid
10-24-2007, 02:36 PM
This should be its own thread, but if my collection was destroyed I would probably ONLY rebuy figures from the cantina and Jabba's palace. I would not rebuy the vintage figures or anything from the prequels.

JediTricks
10-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Yeah, this did seem like a good idea for its own thread, so I split 'em off into their own thing. (This thread is an offshoot of "Could you walk away from this line tomorrow? (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36095)")

Here's my list of what I'd start over with if I had to:
SL Boba Fett
TAC Luke Jedi (not that it's my favorite version, but it'll do)
TSC Endor 3PO which is still findable
SL Boushh
TSC Hoth R2 (hard to find, but I like the mold and the paint weathering)
SL electronic R2
2-5 TAC Stormtroopers
SL orange-pauldron Sandtrooper
TAC Capture of Tantive IV battlepack
TAC Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter (not totally sure on this, but I do want vehicles for my guys)
TAC V-wing
Comics 2pack Mara/Luke
TAC Vader w/ obi-robe (not the greatest, but it'll do) *
2-3 SL Biker Scouts
Dagobah X-wing
VTAC Bossk
VTAC IG-88
VTAC Luke Bespin
* ANH Commemorative Tin (I just realized it has the same Vader plus an ok Leia, a clean Sandtrooper that can double as a Stormtrooper, and a crappy 3PO)

That's all I can think of that's on shelves that I'd start over with, but it's a bigger list than I expected.

El Chuxter
10-24-2007, 03:11 PM
If I lost everything, I'd be done. It would take too much to replace it. Even the vintage stuff, if replaced, wouldn't have the same meaning as the items I got as a kid.

Kidhuman
10-24-2007, 04:43 PM
I agree with Chux on the Vintage stuff. I have unted and pecked at stuff to buy, but most of mine is from my childhood and rebuying it wouldnt have the same appeal.

I wouldn't want tobe done completely. I would have to get Endor(love biker scouts and ewoks) stuff. I would get some figures, probably one of each main character and some Cantina and Jabbas Palace.

LTBasker
10-24-2007, 05:32 PM
I've thought about this a few times, I think that if it happened I would still collect. However, if I got any money from it I would probably just collect higher-priced items like replicas and statues instead of figures. It would result in a much smaller collection, but it'd be much easier to protect and if I wanted to get rid of them then I'd be more likely to get back what I paid, or more.

Thunderbird
10-24-2007, 07:18 PM
I just was just asked this question yesterday by my girlfriend. We live in Chula Vista a few miles from the Mexico boarder, and yesterday morning they annouced voluntary evacuations a block from my house (a bit premature IMO.)

Just to be safe the only extra things I packed was my half of my guitar collection (I only had enough cases for half and was hoping to make a second trip if I could.) To my surprise I didn't pack any SW item, but I had some big plastic tubs to dump what I could if we had to get out in a hurry.

I made the choice there if I lost everything I wouldn't want to replace it. It took to many years and a lot of money and I couldn't do that again. Thank God we didn't have to evacuate, so I was back in full force this morning on the way to work:D

Jayspawn
10-24-2007, 09:31 PM
I WOULD STAY AND DIE WITH MY COLLECTION!!!!!

Just kidding. But you know somebody somewhere would. Ahh, I would quit collecting. I know I would pick up some Stormtroopers and definatly some Boba Fetts but I would pretty much retire.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-24-2007, 10:05 PM
I would start by getting whatever I feel is the best version of each of the main characters. Then I would probably focus on specific scenes, probably starting with the Cantina.

Old Fossil
10-25-2007, 06:42 AM
I'd rebuy just a few figures -- about enough to keep in a small cigar box:

1. Darth Vader (TAC, with Obi-Wan's cloak)
2. Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot (VTSC)
3. C-3PO Endor (Saga)
4. R5-D4
5. R2-D2 Hoth (Saga)
6. Yoda (OTC)
7. Sandtrooper (orange pauldron)
8. AT-AT Driver (Saga)
9. Boba Fett (not sure which version; probably Animated Debut)
10. Momaw Nadon (Saga)
11. Tusken Raider (VTSC)
12. Snowtrooper (VTAC)
13. Dengar (Saga)

These are my favorites in my collection. I would actually try to bring these with me if I had to evacuate, if I had the space in my duffel bag.

Blue2th
10-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Like others, I would start over with the better sculpts of all the characters.

I will be in the process of making room to display only the best versions of them anyways, and alot of the POTF2 characters in my book are obsolete. Along with alot of POTF2 re-issues.

Though there are a few of the old figures that are still really good and don't need or probably wouldn't be replaced for a long time.

Seems to me some of the background characters that aren't popular never will get made again. So these would get replaced with the same.

Basically I would avoid the repeats, like I have now from years of collecting.

Dark Marble
10-25-2007, 10:54 AM
I have never thought about this. I guess for the most part one really doesn't even consider this until it is happening. If I lost everything I think I would collect the original vintage figures and their most up to date modern counterparts.

Maybe some vehicles and pilots. But I would never consider replacing everything. I would stop collecting Star Wars. Maybe become a full time Neca collector! There are other things I would lament far more than my collection, things that can't be replaced.

TheRealDubya
10-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Oh boy. I'd be crushed. Losing my vintage Star Wars, Indy and Super Powers figs would be a huge blow. I have most of them in ready-to-go totes, so I'd grab what I could, I guess!

Assumming a total loss, I would buy the currently on-shelf definitive versions, and then focus on the upcoming Indy line, and then just buy the odd SW fig here and there when it struck my fancy. Might get the Mattel DC Universe figs to replace the Super Powers. It would just suck though.

decadentdave
10-25-2007, 12:26 PM
I would grab my life-size Han in Carbonite and carry him out the door. :thumbsup:

Devo
10-25-2007, 04:26 PM
I'd stop buying Star Wars altogether probably. The loss would be too much and I doubt I could ever be capable or be satisfied trying to rebuild over 10 years of a collection.

I'd buy a few high-end items from my favourite films though.

bigbarada
10-25-2007, 04:35 PM
I've had to "start over" several times. At least 3-4 times that I can clearly remember. Each of those times, though, I've kept a small handfull of figures.

As of right now, the figure that has been in my collection the longest is Ephant Mon and I bought him in 2002. Everything else I own has been purchased after that. 90% of my current collection has been bought in the last six months.

I could go into the story behind each event that forced me to let go of my collection, but it would take too much time. Mostly it was just due to moving around a lot and financial hardship. Through it all though, I've learned to not get too attached to material possessions.

If I were to lose my whole collection now, it would be a shame, but not devastating in any way. It's a fun hobby to have when it's not creating a financial burden, but it's not the focus of my life.

In the end, they're all just cheap lumps of plastic.

If my apartment was on fire, the only material objects I would try to save would be stuff that is irreplaceable. Mainly, the autographed gloves that Matt Hughes gave me from his UFC 52 fight back in 2005, one of the greatest fights in UFC history. Also the external harddrive on my computer, because it carries photos and files that can't be replaced.

I do have an old vintage Stormtrooper figure that stands next to my computer monitor. I could see grabbing that on the way out the door.

Sean the Hutt
10-25-2007, 04:55 PM
thanks for your concern, everything is cooling off right now. We are safe . I have homeowners insurance...but my toy collection is...well.. massive. I would have to explain how many boxes of stuff I have. I would never have gotten what I had invested. I am now going to videotape my collection for proof. We should all have proof if your collection is in the tens of thousands. lesson learned.
what surprised me though was how little I really cared about the stuff. Should I be collecting all this anymore? I have slowed down over the last couple years. I think I am going to start weeding out extras, and what not. Toys for tots will get a bunch of potf2 this year! Perhaps we could have a star wars holiday giveaway for needy kids or something...that would be cool

Sinscia Fat'o
10-25-2007, 05:09 PM
thanks for your concern, everything is cooling off right now. We are safe . I have homeowners insurance...but my toy collection is...well.. massive. I would have to explain how many boxes of stuff I have. I would never have gotten what I had invested. I am now going to videotape my collection for proof. We should all have proof if your collection is in the tens of thousands. lesson learned.
what surprised me though was how little I really cared about the stuff. Should I be collecting all this anymore? I have slowed down over the last couple years. I think I am going to start weeding out extras, and what not. Toys for tots will get a bunch of potf2 this year! Perhaps we could have a star wars holiday giveaway for needy kids or something...that would be cool

Good to know your all right at least dude. That had to be a little scary (Not for your collection but for the danger.)

Though if i had to start over
I'd only want the best sculpts of each core character.
And after that only EU based characters. Comic packs ETC
about 50 TAC Storm Troopers...would also be on the bill :)

If i lost my Kenner stuff i would be crushed but i wouldn't replace it, way to many memories there, kinda hard to replace something like that.

Tycho
10-26-2007, 02:01 AM
I live in San Diego too, obviously. I was not in an evacuation zone however.

Most of my stuff is also in storage right now, since it was packed up when I was thought to be dying the other year.

If it all went, I'd probably not start over. Curiously, I might buy some select Transformers again, over anything else - and possibly some Star Wars 12" - most likely SideShow stuff.

I also might try and get the Hasbro ships and their respective pilots or crews again, that might be it though.

Sean the Hutt
10-26-2007, 11:27 PM
glad you checked in Tycho. I would consider the sideshow stuff as well.

Qui-Long Gone
10-27-2007, 01:46 PM
I'd rebuy just a few figures -- about enough to keep in a small cigar box:

1. Darth Vader (TAC, with Obi-Wan's cloak)
3. C-3PO Endor (Saga)
5. R2-D2 Hoth (Saga)
6. Yoda (OTC)
7. Sandtrooper (orange pauldron)
9. Boba Fett (not sure which version; probably Animated Debut)
10. Momaw Nadon (Saga)
12. Snowtrooper (VTAC)

Good list: my changes would be (a little bigger box)....

2. Luke Degobah with Yoda on backpack (Saga)
4. Han in Carbonite (POTF)
8. Jabba (Saga Delux)
11. Chewie (saga 3P0 tote)
13. Leia non-monkey faced ANH...