PDA

View Full Version : SSG's Bi-Weekly Hasbro Q&A - October 26th

JediTricks
10-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Find out how many movie figures we'll get next year, and more, in Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for October 26, 2007. Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them.

Hasbro Q&A for the week of October 26th

Q: With the Star Wars team splitting their time with Indiana Jones and the Clone Wars CGI cartoon coming next year, how many new sculpts does Hasbro estimate we'll be seeing for Star Wars Original Trilogy figures in the basic carded line? Will each of the 6 films be getting its own wave in 2008? If not, which film won't be getting its own wave?
A: For 2008, we are going to take the classic total down by about one wave. So from the current 60 figures this year, expect around 53 figures or so. Episodes III-VI will each have waves along with a The Force Unleashed wave and a couple other surprises in there.

- -

Q: Due to the unpopularity of the character, is it unlikely that Hasbro will revisit Jar Jar Binks with a super articulated figure? He is definitely a character that would warrant such articulation due to his onscreen antics (no matter how obnoxious), and we haven't seen a new figure of him in quite a while, he could use an upgrade and the kiddies would probably want him.
A: Before too long we will probably be updating Jar-Jar. From our research, kids still like him and the Gungan concept. We just have to find the opportunity to bring him out.

- -

Q: While the TAC line has been doing great designs with aliens and armored figures, a lot of fans feel there have been a number of misfires with main characters in this line. Luke Yavin and Luke Tatooine's headsculpts and decos, Mace Windu's head, Vintage Leia Endor's long neck and inaccurate face deco, Lando in smuggler outfit's new head design and its rolled-back-in-his-head eyes, Vintage Luke Bespin's likeness, and everything about Han Torture Rack from the odd head to the mismatched proportions of the body. And it's not like we always need resculpted heads, POTJ Bespin Leia and Early Bird Kit Luke already have superior likenesses. So what is happening here?
A: Thanks for the comments. In general, there has always been variety to the likenesses 3-3/4" figure line and while we would like every likeness to be exact, at our scale this is not something that we can expect. We're sorry you have been disappointed; while some of your comments are areas we hope to improve upon, for others, it's the first we have heard about overall dissatisfaction with these figures.

- -

And the questions at ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=1384):

There are a bunch of alien and droid figures from the POTF2 era that have yet to see upgrades such as: Nien Nunb, Ree Yees, Saelt-Marae (Yak Face), Orrimaarko (Prune Face), Admiral Ackbar, EV-9D9, ASP-7, Ishi Tib, Lak Sivrak, etc.. Is it likely that these guys will be upgraded with better sculpts and articulation in the foreseeable future or are we likely stuck with the ones we have?
For some reason, nearly all the Jedi Luke figures have been from Jabba's Palace with permanent vests. The only Death Star II version in recent memory is the rather unfortunate Saga figure with its rather unfortunate action gimmick, preposed body, and bizarre face sculpt. The newest Jedi Luke (TAC #25) has a cloth vest but it's not meant to be removed and the costume underneath is incomplete for Death Star II Luke. In ToyFare's Fans Choice poll, this was the only OT main character - not to mention the only version of Luke - to make the top 25 (and 3 characters who got less votes have already been made as figures now). So, do you have any plans to make a Death Star II Jedi Luke at this point? If not, why has this popular version been continuously overlooked in favor of Jabba's Palace Luke?
With the new Clone Wars line coming up, will you be going back to the original series to make figures for characters who didn't get them, whether or not they appear in this new CGI series? Figures like Holographic Sidious on walking mechano-chair, Scuba Troopers, Space Clone Troopers, Plo Koon in armor, IG Lancer Droid (perhaps with its swoop bike), General Oro Dassyne all would make good candidates from the first series.

El Chuxter
10-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Q: While the TAC line has been doing great designs with aliens and armored figures, a lot of fans feel there have been a number of misfires with main characters in this line. Luke Yavin and Luke Tatooine's headsculpts and decos, Mace Windu's head, Vintage Leia Endor's long neck and inaccurate face deco, Lando in smuggler outfit's new head design and its rolled-back-in-his-head eyes, Vintage Luke Bespin's likeness, and everything about Han Torture Rack from the odd head to the mismatched proportions of the body. And it's not like we always need resculpted heads, POTJ Bespin Leia and Early Bird Kit Luke already have superior likenesses. So what is happening here?
A: Thanks for the comments. In general, there has always been variety to the likenesses 3-3/4" figure line and while we would like every likeness to be exact, at our scale this is not something that we can expect. We're sorry you have been disappointed; while some of your comments are areas we hope to improve upon, for others, it's the first we have heard about overall dissatisfaction with these figures.

If anyone needs proof that Hasbro isn't paying any attention whatsoever to what fans think, I highlighted it in red. The issues with every one of these figures can be easily found by even the most cursory inspection of the various boards.

JediTricks
10-26-2007, 06:40 PM
They can probably get away with that part of the answer because Lando & Hando from wave 6 are too new to get widespread complaints. I really feel like they need to address all the problems for main TAC characters individually, we're paying $7 a pop on product that looks wonky, the least they can do is own up to it.

Kidhuman
10-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Q: With the new Clone Wars line coming up, will you be going back to the original series to make figures for characters who didn't get them, whether or not they appear in this new CGI series? Figures like Holographic Sidious on walking mechano-chair, Scuba Troopers, Space Clone Troopers, Plo Koon in armor, IG Lancer Droid (perhaps with its swoop bike), General Oro Dassyne all would make good candidates from the first series.

A: When the new series comes out, our attention and focus will shift to that one exclusively and we will not likely be doing any more figures from the first Clone Wars series. It doesn't mean we won't look for opportunities from some of the very cool figures you mention, but it becomes much less likely.

Well, I guess we will never see any of these figures unless they sow up in the new series. Its a shame too, as some of these would make great figures.

If they do another toyfare poll we could always flood thew votes with these guys

JediTricks
10-26-2007, 07:31 PM
To be honest, I highly doubt there'd be enough people interested in even cheating that vote for them.

Battle Droid
10-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Q: With the Star Wars team splitting their time with Indiana Jones and the Clone Wars CGI cartoon coming next year, how many new sculpts does Hasbro estimate we'll be seeing for Star Wars Original Trilogy figures in the basic carded line? Will each of the 6 films be getting its own wave in 2008? If not, which film won't be getting its own wave?
A: For 2008, we are going to take the classic total down by about one wave. So from the current 60 figures this year, expect around 53 figures or so. Episodes III-VI will each have waves along with a The Force Unleashed wave and a couple other surprises in there.

Well that sucks. Why do I get the feeling they're eventually going to stop making prequel figures all together? :cry:

Kidhuman
10-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Why do I get the feeling they're eventually going to stop making prequel figures all together? :cry:

The fact that it said movies 3-6 will have specific waves and it leaves out 1-2. Also they have to make clones so they will never stop prequel figures.

JediTricks
10-26-2007, 08:48 PM
I suspect the demand just isn't there, the OT is a classic which is why it carries through this point, the PT is 8 years old and splits the audience, it's considered a joke by many outsiders who don't think of it as forgettable. There's nothing iconic or fun about Lott Dodd.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-27-2007, 01:43 AM
They can probably get away with that part of the answer because Lando & Hando from wave 6 are too new to get widespread complaints. I really feel like they need to address all the problems for main TAC characters individually, we're paying $7 a pop on product that looks wonky, the least they can do is own up to it.I don't have one yet, but I don't see the problem with Lando. Han is scene specific and would have been a deluxe figure in previous lines, so $7 is a good deal. Likewise with Umpass-Stay, Elris Helrot, M'iiyoom Onith, Yoda & Kybuck, and Luke with the vaporator. Not that there aren't problems with some figures. I'll agree on the head issues on both Lukes. Price is not an issue to me on these though. Episode I figures were going for the same amount, and I think figures have improved quite a bit since then.

jjreason
10-27-2007, 07:30 AM
I agree with MSP - the torture rack accessory itself is why I'm looking forward to getting the figure - in this case Han himself is the throwaway part (much like the Yoda in the Kybuck package, from what I've heard).

Devo
10-27-2007, 09:47 AM
As to their answer about Jedi Luke, I'm glad they acknowledge that he has yet to be done - that they didn't just say 'the recent TAC figure, just take off the vest - theres your jedi Luke'...because thats a crap figure with or without the vest. We need a proper dedicated DSII Luke plus a flap down variant - and preferably with a body size compatible with the Saga jabbas palace Luke head since any new head they might do is likely to be terrible going by recent standards. And I hope by then that they revert to doing good, disguised balljoints on the limbs as we know they're capable of but have, for no reason I can discern, been messing up on lately - stumble forward aforementioned TAC jedi Luke.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-27-2007, 10:43 AM
I agree with MSP - the torture rack accessory itself is why I'm looking forward to getting the figure - in this case Han himself is the throwaway part (much like the Yoda in the Kybuck package, from what I've heard).Actually, some people have been saying that they like that Yoda in the "Yoda figures all kinda suck!" thread.

Sinscia Fat'o
10-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Im kinda sad they aren't going to finish the old clone wars series characters, i really had my heart set on the scuba trooper and ig lancer droids and such, but i guess alot of those options may eventually come from the new cartoon next fall.

As for Lando, i finally found him last night at wal-marts in clay pool hill, along with all of wave 2 of gi joe 25, and his eyes rolling in the back of the head was very much there and horriable looking. Though the figure itself minus the eyes looks great.

And yes the Yoda with Kybuck is a cool figure, it's not the greatest thing ever, and if it had a hole in his butt so he could sit down on the kybuck it would have been a great figure, but with that yoda is the pack in, and the kybuck is the figure, so when a pack in light years better than alot of the other figures you've gotten of the character, it's not to bad. :)

Blue2th
10-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Well, I guess we will never see any of these figures unless they sow up in the new series. Its a shame too, as some of these would make great figures.

If they do another toyfare poll we could always flood thew votes with these guys

Agreed, I want to see some of these figs.

Chances are some of the locations in cartoon Clone Wars might be revisited in the new Clone Wars.
I'd like to see Kit underwater, and that means Scuba Troopers.

We probably will see Sidious on his Mecho-chair for sure.

Seems to me any chance Hasbro can make any Clone is a win-win situation.
Kind of a lame answer on their part. I guess they don't want to make any promises till they've seen some of the new Clone Wars.

BTW: how did this question get on Actionfigs.com? Not that I'm complaining. (I need to re-join that site as I still collect other action figures)

Kidhuman
10-27-2007, 07:27 PM
BTW: how did this question get on Actionfigs.com? Not that I'm complaining. (I need to re-join that site as I still collect other action figures)

We do all the voting here and JT picks the top 6, 3 for here and 3 for there

JediTricks
10-28-2007, 09:02 PM
I don't have one yet, but I don't see the problem with Lando. His eyes are looking upwards and his face sculpt isn't as accurate as the previous Lando.

Han is scene specific and would have been a deluxe figure in previous lines, so $7 is a good deal.Have you opened Han? That's one of the worst figures in the line, it's a bad head sculpt and a horrible, out-of-scale-to-itself body. Can't just gauge it based on how much the materials and manufacturing costs, a $7 turd is no bargain.

Likewise with Umpass-Stay, Elris Helrot, M'iiyoom Onith, Yoda & Kybuck, and Luke with the vaporator. Not that there aren't problems with some figures. I'll agree on the head issues on both Lukes. Price is not an issue to me on these though. Episode I figures were going for the same amount, and I think figures have improved quite a bit since then.Ep I figures came with a commtech chip and still they bombed on shelves, prices had to go back down for a while.

El Chuxter
10-28-2007, 09:10 PM
As we have said many times before, the Saga Legends shipments have nothing to do with the shipment of The Anniversary Collection figures, so please put that issue aside.

Right. The huge number of SW figures clogging pegs has nothing to do with the retailers not ordering more SW figures. Do you guys really not pay any attention?

JediTricks
10-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Yeah, that's what I feel like telling them: "Your Saga Legends vs TAC business model can only work if the retailers AND their customers actually behave precisely as you wish them to, however the moment the boundary between the 2 is broken it completely falls apart and TAC suffers horribly, as it is doing now."

El Chuxter
10-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah. Like I've said before, IF the retailer pays any attention, they're saying, "Hmmm. Legends has Padme, Leia, Han, and Vader. TAC has Darth Revan, Hermi Odle, and I don't even know how to say that one. We'll go with Legends. I've heard of those characters."

JediTricks
10-29-2007, 01:11 PM
I think it's simpler than that, the retailer says "oh, look, Star Wars figures, we'll put those on the Star Wars pegs" and puts them on all the SW pegs instead of just the SL pegs, then there's no room to put out the TAC figures, customers buy the SL, the computers see SL is selling and TAC is not, so they only reorder SL.

jedi master sal
10-29-2007, 01:15 PM
I think it's simpler than that, the retailer says "oh, look, Star Wars figures, we'll put those on the Star Wars pegs" and puts them on all the SW pegs instead of just the SL pegs, then there's no room to put out the TAC figures, customers buy the SL, the computers see SL is selling and TAC is not, so they only reorder SL.

That's the problem in a nutshell.

The other figures would sell, if given a CHANCE.

El Chuxter
10-29-2007, 01:18 PM
I was talking about the ordering, not the stocking, but your point makes damn good sense. I can't believe that, after all the questions and comments about the issue, Hasbro still believes that people at Wal-Mart and Target give a rat's you-know-what.

Wait, it's Hasbro. I can believe it.

JediTricks
10-29-2007, 01:31 PM
The thing is even when they DO care, and I have seen the rare occasion when they try, ultimately the customers just mix up the pegs anyway and at that point the employees really CAN'T tell they difference anymore, it's one thing when they're coming out of a case with that SKU on it, it's quite another when the only difference between the cards is a small band that's either orange or red.

Stocking and ordering become the chicken and the egg after the first wave of figures, each one becomes its own problem and exacerbates the other. Yet for some reason, Hasbro absolutely refuses to consider that aspect of the problem, in their minds the business model works because cases of product are being ordered.

Mister Roboto
10-29-2007, 05:48 PM
I have come to the conclusion that these Q&A sessions might be one of the many reasons that I'm losing interest in collecting Star Wars.

That saying that goes "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool than to open it and prove them right" comes to mind.

Kidhuman
10-29-2007, 07:26 PM
so, I was scanning some websites for figures on sale, and I went to WM.com. Now, why is tis here???
Because on their website, every single SW figure is listed as legends, TAC line and all. And you expect stores to differentiate between the two lines???

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=48_96&ref=&search_constraint=4171&search_query=star+wars

El Chuxter
10-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Not exactly. Oddly enough, the Expanded Universe figures appear to have their own line.

It may be worthwhile to use this as proof if we ever ask about this in a Q&A again.