PDA

View Full Version : "Is it edible?" in the Star Wars Universe

stillakid
10-27-2007, 11:12 PM
I was looking at some of the aliens who populate the Star Wars Universe. Jabba's Palace and the Mos Eisley Cantina are the big showcases of the variety of aliens creatures who really do come in all shapes and sizes and, presumably, intelligence.

So I got to wondering how sentient beings, like humans, determine what creatures are eligible as food. Something like a Bantha just grunts without much sign of being sentient, but how could anyone be sure of something like a Hutt? Do they ask the creature a question and wait for an answer? It's probably safe to assume that things like clothes and weapons suggest that a creature probably shouldn't be killed and served with fava beans and a Merlot, but what about the legions of "naked" aliens? Surely the Gamorreon Guards didn't wear all of that on their home planet.

And so what if a creature is sentient. In a galaxy with so many diverse creatures, maybe some creatures have no problem feasting on other sentient beings. I'm sure a Hutt could feed a family of four whatevers for a few months. Grilled Hutt. Poached Hutt. Hutt with mushrooms and onions. Hutt sandwiches.

Yummm!

Tonysmo
10-28-2007, 01:26 AM
So are you suggesting Wookie burgers are on someones menu somewhere?

I wonder if you'd get some type of bacon from a Gamorreon.. :thumbsup:

If I were on the planet Tatooine I think I would order the 1983 Princess Leia ala metal bikini...

jedi master sal
10-28-2007, 08:10 AM
So are you suggesting Wookie burgers are on someones menu somewhere?

I wonder if you'd get some type of bacon from a Gamorreon.. :thumbsup:

If I were on the planet Tatooine I think I would order the 1983 Princess Leia ala metal bikini...

with a side of Oola...or better yet, Aayla!

El Chuxter
10-28-2007, 12:56 PM
There's some interesting EU about the Kubaz (such as Garindan) eating insects, and considering sentient insect species (like the Geonosians) to be a delicacy, albeit one that they can only get on the black market.

Kidhuman
10-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Jabba did drink Greedo in the EU

2-1B
10-28-2007, 01:26 PM
I have this funny image in my head right now of a backyard summer BBQ on Naboo with a Gammorean roasting over a pit with an apple in his mouth.

El Chuxter
10-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Jabba did drink Greedo in the EU

I still can't find the picture of his funeral online, and it's the funniest thing I've ever seen. It's a two-page spread in the New Essential Chronology, and I can't scan it myself. Greedo's head floating in a jar, while the other bounty hunters (obviously copied from the ESB Star Destroyer scene) stand around.

Ducks, you have seen this by now, right?

LusiferSam
10-28-2007, 02:09 PM
On Earth there a not a lot of animals that are truly ineatable once properly prepared. Now may taste unpleasant, greasy, or you might find personal reason not to eat it. I don't know many people that would want to eat a chimpanzee, but that's really no reason you can't. Making a quick mental list amphibians top the list as being having ineatable members. There are a lot of frogs, toads and salamanders you just can't eat because of the toxins in them/on them. The same is true with number insects and sea life.

As for SW food...
I'm guess just as we have laws against cannibalism, I'm sure they have laws about eating sentient beings. For non sentient animals I'd guess as long as you know how to cook it, you can eat it.

Now a more interesting question is what plants could you eat. Here you just can't eat what ever you want. Some plants or parts of plants can make you very sick, maim or kill you. Knowing what plants are eatable strikes me a much more life or death that what animals.

Tycho
10-28-2007, 09:02 PM
I understand what the thread is actually about, but maybe in all the Star Wars galaxy, there are HUMANS somewhere who've tried to eat the Mouse Droids. I would be very interested in further discussion about this.

El Chuxter
10-28-2007, 09:38 PM
One human did try to eat a mouse droid, after sniffing it for an extended period. His name was Tycho Celchu. No one is quite sure what the experience did, but the other members of Rogue Squadron have a tendency to just smile and nod whenever he speaks now.

:D

mabudonicus
10-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Ducks, you have seen this by now, right?

Yep, tho I can't remember where, and you were right about how funny it is- using the oft repeated "bridge of the executor" (or is that Avenger?? I can never remember) drawing of the Bounty Hunters in that inane collage was going WAY too far, and having the deceased represented as a bubbling flagon put is so far over the top I just don't know what to think.
Glad you shared that with me Chux, my stomach for the EU is VERY weak :D

:beard: Iso & Baws
Jabba really DID drink Greedo

mtriv73
10-29-2007, 11:41 AM
On Earth there a not a lot of animals that are truly ineatable once properly prepared. Now may taste unpleasant, greasy, or you might find personal reason not to eat it. I don't know many people that would want to eat a chimpanzee, but that's really no reason you can't...

There is no reason why you can't, but there is a reason why you shouldn't. It has nothing to do with ethics or PETA or anything like that. Members of closely related species can have viruses or other pathogens that can live almost or just as easily in other closely related species. If you ate an undercooked chimp that was infected with SIV (simian immunodeficiency virus) there is a chance you could become infected. A couple quick mutations later and you have HIV (okay it's not quite that easy, but that may have been how it happened in the first place.) So eating another human or any other primate for that matter could end up killing you, but eating the smartest whale or dolphin in the world probably won't get you sick.

Since you're not likely to share any DNA sequences with even the most intelligent aliens (assuming they even have DNA.) It is pretty unlikely their pathogens would be able to jump species and they might be safe to eat, (or we may just have no defense against any of their bacteria or viruses and they'll kill us in days.)

Long story short, our taboos against incest, cannibalism, etc. probably arose out of the interest in staying alive and perpetuating the species and only then became morals to live by. And, if you ever find yourself surrounded by tasty looking aliens, they may be safe to eat regardless of intelligence, but I'll stick with Earth food.

jedi master sal
10-29-2007, 12:07 PM
One human did try to eat a mouse droid, after sniffing it for an extended period. His name was Tycho Celchu. No one is quite sure what the experience did, but the other members of Rogue Squadron have a tendency to just smile and nod whenever he speaks now.

:D

It gave him an aneurysm and kidney problems...

Just sniffing mouse droids has been known to cause headaches in other humans.

j/k folks

bigbarada
10-29-2007, 04:42 PM
I think someone already tried eating Hermi Odle, which explains why he looks the way he does. He probably tastes like salted yams, so they gave up after only a few bites. lol

Mister Roboto
10-29-2007, 05:22 PM
There was an EU story that said Bossk's species is known for hunting wookies, so I don't suppose it is out of the question that wookie fur-burgers are on the menu there.

The Amanaman figure came with a human-like skeleton, so there is obviously some canibalism between sentient beings.

If you are a Wampa, you like your Tauntaun fresh, but you don't mind eating slightly frozen human at cave temperature.

Judging from Luke's survival kit in ESB and Leia's in ROTJ, granola bars are quite popular amongst Rebels.