PDA

View Full Version : SL TC-14 supposedly recalled according to Wal Mart

Deoxyribonucleic
10-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Hey all, was at Long Beach Cali wal mart today found 2 SL TC-14's amongst a gaggle of other great stuff (no new wave 7 yet) went to go purchase my wares and the cashier runs both TC's over the scanner and she says she can't sell them to me. So I ask her, very nicely of course if I could speak to a manager and the manager comes and scans the TC's and she show's me that it says "DO NOT SELL, RECALL"?? I saw it with my own eyes and they took the TC's away from me to the back room NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo! Seriously though I understand but I wish they could have told me why they were recalled, but they did not know. Just wanted to share that with everyone, I'm curious to see if this was a fluke or not!

StbrianofMinneapolis
10-30-2007, 02:04 AM
If you want to manipulate walmart into selling you these, copy a similar UPC onto a sheet of adhesive sticker paper at kinkos, cut it out, stick it in your wallet, slap it on a TC-14 and buy it. No harm done and you paid fair market value for it.

Tycho
10-30-2007, 03:07 AM
Cool advice. Still, might we wonder what the heck the recall was over?

My guess would be a lead in the paint issue with that one shiny metallic hew they use on TC-14. The other figures don't have that and only C-3PO is that shiny with modern figures still shipping (except perhaps R2-B1's dome?)

But TC-14 was put out in 1999 standards, and almost any C-3PO you find today (that's shiny - ROTS or later in the saga) is from a 2005 or more recent application.

I suppose this was all very interesting to type about at 1 in the morning. I will now continue elsewhere explaining why the sky is blue. (Well, actually it's night time right now, so the sky is black).

Blue2th
10-30-2007, 05:12 AM
Odd, I found one at a Khols last week and it might have been one of two that wouldn't scan for some reason amongst four others that did.
The clerk entered it maually, and I bought it.
Guess we'll be finding out what the who-ha is soon enough.
I suspect that it could be lead in the metallic finish also.

Rebo's_Guitarist
10-30-2007, 07:13 AM
HTS has it available for sale right now.

jedi master sal
10-30-2007, 08:56 AM
Anyone have the latest codes for HasbroToyShop?

If so, what are the codes good for?

Tycho
10-30-2007, 09:26 AM

Deactivation of the Death Star's deflector shield.

I hope the codes are worth the price we paid for them.

Many Bothans died to bring us this information.

mabudonicus
10-30-2007, 09:26 AM
I would wager it's the tiny silver cups the fig came with that make it "dangerous"- tho for most of us the greater danger is having one pop out of the package while it's being opened and never being found again
:beard: Iso & Baws
Sorry about yer bad luck DNA

El Chuxter
10-30-2007, 09:41 AM
If it's been recalled, why hasn't there been an announcement? Some would've already have been purchased and could be poisoning JabbaJohnL as we speak! :eek:

I wonder if the UPC was a digit off from something that was recalled and they mixed 'em up in the computer?

TheRealDubya
10-30-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm glad I already found mine. It's a super cool figure.

There is zero about this product being recalled on either the Hasbro site or the Consumer Product Safety Commision site; the CPSC is usually very up to date. (http://www.cpsc.gov/)

Could just be a fluke?

Tycho
10-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Could just be a fluke?

No. Fluke Skywaiter was a Mad Magazine character that appeared a few years back. He's never had an action figure, but there's a suggestion for Hasbro's EU Comic 2-Pack series. He could come with the Sock Puppet character they called Chew-wawra and bear a striking resemblance to Alfred E. Newman. :D

Snowtrooper
10-30-2007, 12:40 PM

The last ones I am aware of are:

Snowtrooper
10-30-2007, 12:48 PM

The last ones I am aware of are FTIER7, which is good for $10 off of and order of $50. It keeps increasing the larger your order is. I think the expiration date is Nov 10.

The other is CATWEB10 which is for 10% off. I don't know when the expiration date is on this one, but I made an order yesterday and it still worked.

Plus you get a free figure on orders of $25 or more. It is VTAC Han Solo I believe.

mtriv73
10-30-2007, 12:48 PM
It was probably just in their computer wrong. Since this is the only incident of it being listed as recalled, and since Hasbro still has it for sale on their own website, I'm sure it's just another case of Wal-mart having idiots working for them.

Old Fossil
10-30-2007, 12:59 PM
for most of us the greater danger is having one pop out of the package while it's being opened

That can be embarrassing.:upset:

Sinscia Fat'o
10-30-2007, 01:27 PM
I found mine in ronake at Extreme's Comic and Toy shop, a very cool store that normally dont sell Star wars figures, and I work for Wal-Mart, (And im not a idiot!!! :) ) and have not heard of TC being recalled. If the droid was recalled he would not be in hasbro's page, and there would be something about it on hasbro's home page, so i would say there was some sort of mistake on wal-mart's part.

Tycho
10-30-2007, 02:40 PM
This directly relates to the topic and I'm not trying to derail the thread into the Rancor Pit, but an upcoming decision by Congress does affect the issue:

Basically Republicans want to deregulate product safety moreso, and Democrats want to expand the consumer's protection. (http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20071030/news_1n30safety.html)

Let's not debate the issue here, but simply have this for reference.

You could summarize this as business interests tuned in to keeping costs low and potential lawsuit settlements minimal, favor the Bush Administration's approach to limiting their responsibility for toys that harm tots. Your interests as a parent of an injured child might lie elsewhere though if you do not happen to own a major toy company (or significant shares). As always, the chances for frivalrous lawsuits must be taken into account.

Anything that might cause cost increases for Hasbro, for example, might be passed on as cost increases to consumers (of $8+ basic SW figures for example).

I'd guess those of you who may be parents might feel differently about this than those of you who are primarily carded collectors. But this issue is so old that it is part of SW history in how it affected KENNER's original rocket-firing Boba Fett in 1979.

El Chuxter
10-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Don't worry, DNA. If I find one, I'll get it. And if the cashier gives me any lip, I'll look at her and shout at the top of my lungs, "You will repay your debt to me!!" If she does anything other than ring up the figures, I'll go on about how she owes me from 'Nam. Hopefully they'll figure it's easier to sell me the figure than to kick me out.

Out of curiosity, SF, would that be the Extreme's in Tanglewood in Roanoke? I remember them having some (though not a lot) SW stuff around Episode I, but it looked like they kinda got burned on a lot of that merchandise.

Sinscia Fat'o
10-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Don't worry, DNA. If I find one, I'll get it. And if the cashier gives me any lip, I'll look at her and shout at the top of my lungs, "You will repay your debt to me!!" If she does anything other than ring up the figures, I'll go on about how she owes me from 'Nam. Hopefully they'll figure it's easier to sell me the figure than to kick me out.

Out of curiosity, SF, would that be the Extreme's in Tanglewood in Roanoke? I remember them having some (though not a lot) SW stuff around Episode I, but it looked like they kinda got burned on a lot of that merchandise.

yep the same one El Chuxter, they seem to be a little more selective since the marketing flop that was episode one, they had one case of saga legends which i pillaged the droids for, though they have since starting stocking Side Show Star Wars stuff, and a few other odds and ends. Awesome store.

mtriv73
10-30-2007, 05:10 PM
yep the same one El Chuxter, they seem to be a little more selective since the marketing flop that was episode one, they had one case of saga legends which i pillaged the droids for, though they have since starting stocking Side Show Star Wars stuff, and a few other odds and ends. Awesome store.

It's hard to believe there's anything awesome in Tanglewood. That place was almost dead when I was in high school in Roanoke. Of course that was 16 years ago so I guess things can change.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks Chux and if you get put in prison, I'll be there to bail you out ;)

Ok, so on a note regarding this thread, since I started it, I am going to finish it in a way...curious? I bet you are...anyway...

I went to the N. Long Beach Wal mart today (different one from yesterday's TC-14 incident) and found a TC-14 and had NO problem purchasing it...no "recall" and no "do not sell" just scanned normally.

I can only think maybe they had the sku number in their computer wrong or a million different reasons...anyway, looks like TC-14 is clear??

:thumbsup:

Kidhuman
10-30-2007, 06:19 PM
It's hard to believe there's anything awesome in Tanglewood. That place was almost dead when I was in high school in Roanoke. Of course that was 16 years ago so I guess things can change.

I have never been to Tanglewood mall. I usually hit Valley View with the TRU and KB there if I am up in that area.

orionlukteel
10-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Odd, I found one at a Khols last week and it might have been one of two that wouldn't scan for some reason amongst four others that did.

Same thing happened to me at Kohl's - the register rang up a Biker Scout, a Clone Commander, and a Torture Rack Han before she tried to scan TC-14. When she tried to scan one of the others as a stand-in for TC-14, it froze.

When the manager came over 5 minutes later and scanned another figure, it worked just fine. But TC-14 never scanned. Weird.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-30-2007, 07:19 PM
If it's been recalled, why hasn't there been an announcement? Some would've already have been purchased and could be poisoning JabbaJohnL as we speak! :eek:

I wonder if the UPC was a digit off from something that was recalled and they mixed 'em up in the computer?
NOOOOO!!!!!!
That's the least of my problems - I don't think I'll find her until she's rereleased in another eight years.

JediTricks
10-31-2007, 02:53 AM
Cool advice. Still, might we wonder what the heck the recall was over?

My guess would be a lead in the paint issue with that one shiny metallic hew they use on TC-14. The other figures don't have that and only C-3PO is that shiny with modern figures still shipping (except perhaps R2-B1's dome?)

But TC-14 was put out in 1999 standards, and almost any C-3PO you find today (that's shiny - ROTS or later in the saga) is from a 2005 or more recent application.That is utter nonsense. In fact, there is minimal paint at all on this figure, only a little bit of black, some red and yellow for the torso wiring, and a tiny smidge of gold - none of which would be considered a safety threat since they're in such small uses to begin with, and all of which are the same stuff they've been using on our 3PO figures forever without recalls. The base color for vac-metalized figures isn't even paint, it is an ultra-thin coating of aluminum that's evaporated in a vacuum chamber so it adheres to the treated plastic.

stad
10-31-2007, 07:50 AM
If you want to manipulate walmart into selling you these, copy a similar UPC onto a sheet of adhesive sticker paper at kinkos, cut it out, stick it in your wallet, slap it on a TC-14 and buy it. No harm done and you paid fair market value for it.

Not true. You could be charged with forgery (felony), for simply having it, and passing (felony) as well, for using it.

That said, it is highly unlikely Wal-Mart would even call the police, since even if they did see you on the cams, came and checked out what you did, and saw that you weren't trying to rip them off price-wise.

I also highly doubt these were actually recalled, for any reason.

stillakid
10-31-2007, 08:20 AM

I don't think it's pc to say "dead" and "Roanoke" in the same sentence.

Sinscia Fat'o
10-31-2007, 11:20 AM

Tanglewood is like a ghost town, i think they have a huge arts and crafts store, which i do art and such as a hobby other than collecting star wars so i go there for that and Extremes, which is a great hobby store. They carry alot of stuff that i can't get around here, and they have average prices on stuff...for a mom and pops store.

I think the KB in Valley View mall is closed now, which is sad since i used to get alot of figures there that was hard to find, Aayla Secura (Episode 2), Dex's Diner droid, and Barris Offee (Episode 2). The toys R us is usually hit or miss, the last time i was in there me and one of my friend met a stocker in the star wars section with 2 fresh cases, and the (long string of four letter words) wouldn't let us see what he had in there, or even stock the things!! How rude! Though Toys R us did have alot of the Y-Wing, and Tie Interceptor, and the arena battle pack...which i was less than excited about seeing, espically the price tag! ouch!

TC was still available on hasbro toy shop yesterday though so i doubt there was any real problems with him, just a loose screw in the wally world system, which happens alot actually...which is their own fault. Archaic system they use for inventory and for recalls...

El Chuxter
10-31-2007, 01:58 PM
Well, I tried to get you a TC-14, and, well, long story short, remember how you said you'd post my bail? :D

mtriv73
10-31-2007, 02:11 PM
I don't think it's pc to say "dead" and "Roanoke" in the same sentence.

I think you're thinking about Blacksburg (~40 miles to the left of Roanoke) unless your not and then I'm puzzled.:cross-eye

Blue2th
10-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Dammit! Just when I was thinkin' I could scalp my one for booku bucks on eBay. lol Dammit again! They have their own "check for recalled toys system" there as well.
I think it works better than Walmart's.

decadentdave
10-31-2007, 03:21 PM

I also got one of these from Kohls last week and wouldn't scan. The clerk just scanned another figure I had since she had to manually price override each one to give me the sale price markdown from $9.99 to $6.99. It took her about 10 minutes to ring them all up. I had one of those clothing bag carriers full of figures. You should have seen the angry looks I got from old ladies in line behind me waiting to check out with clothes and I have a stack of about 30 Star Wars figures the clerk is having to override each one. Priceless.

Blue2th
10-31-2007, 03:27 PM
That is priceless! lol

Think I'm going to go down to Kohls today just to check for figs again.
Seems to be a less known SW goldmine sometimes. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
10-31-2007, 04:04 PM
Every time I've been to Kohl's, they've had literally nothing in the way of SW. I've bought some shirts there, though.

decadentdave
10-31-2007, 06:01 PM
I've had a few mother lodes at Kohl's especially back around Revenge of the Sith but last week was my biggest score ever. I got all of the McQuarries: Snowtrooper, Vader, General McQuarrie, Starkiller, Darth Malak, Darth Revan, Hermie Odle... etc. I dropped 2 Benjamins on toys at a clothing store. Who needs new clothes when you got new figs? :thumbsup:

Mvader91
10-31-2007, 06:39 PM
In Indiana, I have found 3 tc-14's luckily enoug. maybe it is just a Wal Mart issue?

Blue2th
10-31-2007, 08:05 PM
I've had a few mother lodes at Kohl's especially back around Revenge of the Sith but last week was my biggest score ever. I got all of the McQuarries: Snowtrooper, Vader, General McQuarrie, Starkiller, Darth Malak, Darth Revan, Hermie Odle... etc. I dropped 2 Benjamins on toys at a clothing store. Who needs new clothes when you got new figs? :thumbsup:

SW figures at Kohls, shirts at Walmart for me.

I went to Kohls today..no dice. :sad:

Tycho
10-31-2007, 08:25 PM
DecadentDave: in 2005 at TRU's midnite madness, I was one of the first in line and the manager who knew me all too well was chatting it up with me.

I think that me and 2 of my other friends who were waiting with me mentioned that Wal-Mart was doing a Midnite release as well, and they were a dollar cheaper.

Well, my TRU manager said they didn't match prices without an ad, etc. but he knew how much myself and my friends buy, and he said he'd do a price adjust on every figure and take $1 off.

At Midnite Madness, he had to open several special checkout lanes for me and my friends to MANUALLY price adjust all those figures!

jedi master sal
10-31-2007, 10:39 PM
I found the TC-14 fig at Target tonight. Rang up just fine.