PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Vault

jonthejedi
10-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Picked up Star Wars Vault by Steve Sansweet at Borders for $60 with 30% off coupon. Enjoyable inside & out(really love the two audio CD's...always wanted the Star Tours soundtrack.

El Chuxter
10-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Star Tours soundtrack?

Damn, but not the Ewoks movie soundtrack.

JediTricks
10-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Star Tours Soundtrack??? Do tell!

jonthejedi
10-31-2007, 04:35 AM
Yes, the preshow is there with Tony Daniels, the boarding instructions & then finally the ride itself(if memory serves, Paul Reubens was the voice of Capt. Rex)...minus the simulator shaking of course. Also has NPR radio excerpts, vintage radio spots, rare interviews, James Earl Jones Smithsonian Inst. SW Magic of Myth recording, Lucas at CIII...but the real gem is Carrie Fisher singing lyrics to the SW theme from the dreaded SW Holiday Special.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-31-2007, 07:23 PM
I was wavering on this one, due to the even-before-a-discount $85 price tag, but Star Tours, Magic o' Myth, and other things on CD tells me to get it.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-31-2007, 07:38 PM
I was wavering on this one, due to the even-before-a-discount $85 price tag, but Star Tours, Magic o' Myth, and other things on CD tells me to get it.

$53 and some change at amazon.com including shipping...can't beat that! Mine shipped today!

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Vault-Treasures-Memorabilia/dp/0061257311/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-8818331-0107618?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193876842&sr=1-1

jonthejedi
11-01-2007, 04:09 AM
...let us know what you think when it arrives. Mine had several inserts bent on corners from when they produced it(like the Howard Chaykin poster), but overall was in good shape. All of Borders stock was still sealed in bags. I especially liked the Empire outline pages from Lucas' notebook.

JediTricks
11-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Wow, that sounds like a wild CD!

Deoxy, LMK when yours arrives so I can mooch off ya and listen in. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
11-03-2007, 10:49 AM
I bought mine, but along with Death Star, SW: Pop-Up Guide to the Galaxy, Hard Contact: True Colors, and a pack of SW:30th Anniv. cards, I haven't had time for my sci-fi addictions lately. :( As yet, haven't even opened it.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-05-2007, 02:53 AM
it's fantastic! Brings back many great memories!

El Chuxter
11-06-2007, 11:36 PM
$50 at Costco. I've not picked it up yet.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-06-2007, 11:54 PM
$50 at Costco. I've not picked it up yet.

Gosh, I forget about that place selling star wars stuff, pick it up Chux, it's worth it!! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
11-07-2007, 12:02 AM
They had it in their magazine this month, which means they'll keep it well stocked for at least a month. (I wouldn't have even looked for it if I hadn't seen it in the mag.)

Thing is, they only take one credit card. I get points on said card, so I use it and pay it off every month. But, given the cycle dates, if I buy it now, I have to pay for it by the end of this month. Wait five days (and it should still be in stock), and I can wait until the end of December to pay for it. :cool:

Jayspawn
11-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Got mine at Costco. A very nice book! Nice trip down a nostalgic memory lane.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-28-2007, 12:59 AM
I got this for Christmas, and it is pretty freakin' awesome. I got a version without the CDs or the outer slipcase for $27 through a book order thing at the school where my sister worked until recently. I figured I'd only listen to the CDs once and the extra $60 or so (or even, say, $23) wasn't worth it.

I really like how it encompasses pretty much every aspect of Star Wars and its fandom.

JediTricks
12-29-2007, 01:21 AM
I ordered this through Barnes & Noble's website tonight because they have a good price and then I had a coupon for 40% off any 1 book if paid for with a Mastercard. So I'm getting it new for only $27 with free 3-day shipping (which means jack squat due to the holiday, but still).

JEDIpartner
01-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Barnes & Noble clearance rack... $19.98!!!!!! No coupon... no nothing... Just clearance!!

Rocketboy
01-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Holy crap...nice score!
At that price I may have to check my B&N tomorrow.

JEDIpartner
01-28-2008, 10:59 AM
I sent the info to JT, so maybe it'll make the news page. It's definitely a good find!

Rocketboy
01-28-2008, 11:30 AM
I stopped and looked today.
No luck.

JEDIpartner
01-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Well, crap!!! Still, I hope others are able to find the deal that I did!

El Chuxter
01-28-2008, 11:47 AM
The price isn't $19.99 online, and normally their remaindered stuff is on sale online as well. Perhaps your store marked it down because they thought they had too many?

DarthQuack
01-28-2008, 12:15 PM
I stopped and looked today.
No luck.

Let me know if you want me to grab you one, I saw a stackful today at my B&N and I grabbed one for 19.98....I could run out on dinner break if you'd like one :P

El Chuxter
01-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Two sightings... I may have to make an excursion to a physical store....

Rocketboy
01-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Let me know if you want me to grab you one, I saw a stackful today at my B&N and I grabbed one for 19.98....I could run out on dinner break if you'd like one :PI appreciate it man, but it was probably for the best that they didn't have any.
Well, this week anyway.

JEDIpartner
01-28-2008, 01:12 PM
The price isn't $19.99 online, and normally their remaindered stuff is on sale online as well. Perhaps your store marked it down because they thought they had too many?

Let me know if you want me to grab you one, I saw a stackful today at my B&N and I grabbed one for 19.98....I could run out on dinner break if you'd like one :P

And there it is!!

Rocketboy
01-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Out of curiosity, where in the store was it, on the Bargain rack or somewhere else?

JediTricks
01-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the reports guys, that's crazy! I posted it in the news.

DarthQuack
01-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Bargain rack right in the front.

JEDIpartner
01-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Out of curiosity, where in the store was it, on the Bargain rack or somewhere else?

I found mine on one of the long A-racks that have books on shelves as well as laying across the bottom shelf.

DarthQuack
01-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Picked up 2 more copies if anyone can't find them.:thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
01-28-2008, 10:24 PM
I've never thought about buying two books before... might look into it for this one, with all the goodies I have yet to check out so far!

stad
01-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Hate to say it because I don't want it to come off as gloating, during just before New Years, the Sci-Fi Book Club had it for $9.99! Yes, that's right! They had a sale for nearly all books at $9.99, and surprisingly that one was one of the ones pictured in the email about the promotion. Looking further, it appeared to me that is should fall into the category of items that were excluded from the sale, but it went into the cart at that price, plus free shipping. Eventually they must have figured they made an error, because it was removed from the sale before the conclusion of the sale. And for the record, it is not a book club edition, it is the standard $85 edition! Great buy if you were able to get it!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Hey, it ain't gloating when you get a good deal like that, stad! And the best part is, you get books for a penny for the next 1,138 years. :rolleyes:

stillakid
01-29-2008, 10:26 PM
My local Barnes & Noble was sold out them, which surprised the "info guy" because he said they just had a huge stack of them recently. But the Calabasas store has one on hold for me! :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
01-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Congrats on the 9,000th post stilla :P

I flipped through this tonight....looks awesome, loving all the pullouts, haven't had a chance to look through all of them yet, but really cool stuff....and for $19.98 you can't get a better bargain for an $85.

JEDIpartner
01-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Congrats, STILLA!!!!

And me, unlike Stad, I wasn't gloating... I was merely helping out the community! Just kidding, Stad. ;)

stillakid
01-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks, guys! I hadn't even noticed. For 9001, I am happy to say that I just brought home my very own Star Wars Vault for $19.98. Can't wait to look inside.

It turned into an expensive trip though. I figured that while I was there (at B&N), I'd pick up the newest Close Encounters boxed set. While looking for that, I couldn't help but get the deluxe versions of Leon: The Professional, Labryinth, Dark Crystal, Fifth Element, and Blade Runner. But it was a buy 2 get one free sale so it wasn't that bad. :)

I have a lot to read and watch!

El Chuxter
01-30-2008, 11:37 PM
My local store was sold out. Two employees and I canvassed the place for about half an hour trying to find the two copies that were supposedly in stock. DQ, if you still have the extras, I might have to relieve you of one.

I just searched online, and it appears it was on sale online at some point since last time I checked, but is sold out.

I didn't come away empty-handed, though. They had Batman: The Sunday Classics 1943-1946 for $2! :thumbsup:

Deoxyribonucleic
01-31-2008, 12:49 AM
Wow, you guys read?

hohohohoho

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss:whip:

stillakid
01-31-2008, 08:01 AM
Wow, you guys read?

hohohohoho

Only the captions. Usually I'm too busy looking at hot nubile young and naive bodi.... oh, you meant Star Wars Vault? :sur:

JediTricks
01-31-2008, 08:07 PM
Wow, you guys read?

hohohohoho

Well, I can make out the words "Star Wars" on stuff, but that's about it.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Only the captions. Usually I'm too busy looking at hot nubile young and naive bodi.... oh, you meant Star Wars Vault? :sur:

Don't you remember telling me this is how you learned to read? ;)

stillakid
01-31-2008, 09:26 PM
Don't you remember telling me this is how you learned to read? ;)

Oh YEAH!

While going through my files and receipts (all over my living room floor, kitchen table, couch, etc.) today for taxes, I listened to the CDs from VAULT. They were interesting. Nothing mind-blowing, but interesting. Could've done without Carrie singing from the Holiday Special. :yes:

Bel-Cam Jos
02-02-2008, 04:13 PM
My local store was sold out. Two employees and I canvassed the place for about half an hour trying to find the two copies that were supposedly in stock.My local store also had just one. Once I found it, it was an opened one, so I figured there had to be some things missing. I passed on it. Just have to be content with the one I have (yet to open).

Deoxyribonucleic
02-02-2008, 04:21 PM
My local store also had just one. Once I found it, it was an opened one, so I figured there had to be some things missing. I passed on it. Just have to be content with the one I have (yet to open).

Do you plan on opening it? While the 'stuff' inside is way cool, it's just such a great read down memory lane, makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy inside :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
02-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Do you plan on opening it? While the 'stuff' inside is way cool, it's just such a great read down memory lane, makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy inside :thumbsup:Yeah, just haven't found the time. I've got it, the Jedi vs. Sith Guide, a couple comics, and the new Darth Bane novel. Such hard work being a SW reader... :p

El Chuxter
02-03-2008, 01:22 AM
Here's something that will make you all sick.

I was in Palm Springs/Palm Desert today, so I stopped by the B&N in the mall there. Their computer also said that they had it in stock, and (exactly as in Redlands) I couldn't find the thing. So, again, I asked at the counter. And, again, the guys there were familiar with it.

Ready for the sickening part?

One of the guys knew they were out, as they'd had one copy left and sold it earlier. The catch: Not only was it marked down to $19.99, but, since they'd gotten only a few copies, the entire batch of them was marked down an additional 75% off. So anyone who got the book in Palm Desert in the last week or so got an $85 book for $5.

JEDIpartner
02-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Wow!! That's crazy!! Lucky for those few who got it. So-- was this release a dud or was it a case of it being an oversize book and needing to clear it out of the warehouse due to space issues?

bobafrett
02-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Wow, you guys read?

hohohohoho

I'm still looking at the picture of your bra riding a helmet or somethin. :love:

I reported this in the January Hauls, but last night my Fiance's daughter got me a copy. Everytime I start to contemplate asking her to pitch in for the rent seeing as she's 20 years old, she come across with a cool Star Wars book.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-05-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm still looking at the picture of your bra riding a helmet or somethin. :love:

That just made me laugh, what a great sentence! :love:

I reported this in the January Hauls, but last night my Fiance's daughter got me a copy. Everytime I start to contemplate asking her to pitch in for the rent seeing as she's 20 years old, she come across with a cool Star Wars book.

Damn women, they are so manipulative! And you guys fall for it every time ;)

stillakid
02-06-2008, 02:13 AM

Dave Attell said it best when he noted that women have all the power because they have all the vaginas.:whip:

bobafrett
02-07-2008, 02:32 PM
That just made me laugh, what a great sentence! :love: Thank You!

I know, theres this lady out California way who I was also thinking about charging rent, but then she sent me a super cool con exclusive! :D

Kidhuman
02-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Can anyone still get this book for 20 bucks? If so please PM me.

Rocketboy
02-18-2008, 09:57 PM
I did. Today. It was the last one in the store. Sorry.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-09-2008, 04:57 PM
I finally got around to reading this entire book, as well as listening to the CDs. Great stuff, both on the pages and in the pouches. I found an interesting detail (don't know if anyone else noticed this and posted it already, and if so, I send the props madly to you :D ), however. There's a newspaper clipping on pg. 28 showing a costumed Darth Vader walking down a street in Marin County; nothing unsual about that, as the feature is about appearances by various characters. It's dated Monday, September 25, 1978. What is unusual is that fact that a cotumed Boba Fett is next to Vader... and that the SW: Holiday Special apparently aired November 17, 1978. So, the first appearance of Fett was at least two months earlier. :eek:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-09-2008, 06:34 PM
That parade was his first public appearance, while the Holiday Special was his first on-screen appearance.