PDA

View Full Version : Best Live album?

vader121
10-31-2007, 11:20 AM
When I was younger I never liked Live albums as the sounds quality for the songs was not right in many cases. However over the years I have grown to really enjoy live albums.

My favorites are ...
-Kiss Alive I and II (III is ok too, IV I never heard)
-Dokken 'Live at Budokan'. Yes, Dokken. You have to admit this band was great in the mid 80's.
-Judas Priest 'Unleashed in the East' and the other newer live albums they did with Ripper. These are all real good
-Black Sabbath 'Reunion'. Awesome! I love how they play some oddities that sounds great live.
-Dream Theater 'Once in a Livetime'. Great live stuff. Several years old at this point but great. Good solos too.

What are yours?

El Chuxter
10-31-2007, 12:03 PM
Alive IV isn't one of the greatest, but there is a live version of "Shandi," which makes it worth checking out if you're a fan. The Millennium Concert (originally intended to be Alive IV) is on the boxed set of the Alive albums they put out about a year ago, as well as on iTunes. I've not heard it yet.

I'd have to add:

The Allman Bros: The Fillmore Concerts -- Only they can get away with a set of 30-minute songs.

Dire Straits: On the Night -- A really underrated gem. Knopfler is amazing live.

Fleetwood Mac: The Dance -- They still got it! If you ever doubted Lindsey Buckingham was on the short list of great guitarists, this album should make you reconsider.

Johnny Cash: At Folsom Prison & San Quentin -- Both are absolutely awesome albums, but if I had to choose one, it'd be Folsom.

Aerosmith: A Little South of Sanity -- Aerosmith has done a crapload of live albums, both good and not-quite-so-good. ALSOS is easily the best of the bunch.

Metallica: S&M -- Some might disagree, but the symphony really brought out the best in Metallica.

Also, the Unplugged albums by Eric Clapton, Nirvana, Kiss, 10,000 Maniacs, and Alice in Chains. That show needs to come back. And by "come back," I don't mean an occasional new program with some flash-in-the-pan act that sucks. I'd like to see big acts that make good music that might sound fresh and interesting acoustic, like Alice Cooper, Metallica, the White Stripes, U2, John Fogerty, etc.

There's a few more, but I'll have to give it some thought and/or look up the names of the albums. (Willie Nelson in particular has about 57 from last year alone.)

Blue2th
10-31-2007, 12:34 PM
Don't know if y'all watched that Kiss special on VH1 a while back, but turns out that Kiss Alive I wasn't completely live, that they went in and overdubbed some parts that were sour in the live recording.
They even admitted it and played some of the parts overdubbed to tell what they did.
It's ok with me. The album was still good, and the rest is history.

Blue2th
10-31-2007, 12:52 PM
Don't know if any of you guys are into Yes, but the "Yes Live-Big Generator Tour" was amazing.
Dream Theater lists them as one of their major influences.
Trevor Rabin, one of my favorite guitarists of all time just smokes on his Strat. (more of a modern guitarist than earlier Yes axe miester Steve Howe who is also amazing but different in his own right)

Recently he and some of the various Yes members (even Steve Howe and Geoff Downs of Asia-Yes) did a two song set at the "Best Years of Pop" hosted by Producer and one-time Yes singer Trevor Horn (Yes Drama) on public television.

Trevor Rabin sang lead vocals and played guitar on "Owner of a Lonely Heart"
His voice was actually as high and more pleasing than John (the elf) Anderson, who was not present.
Trevor Rabin the genius that he is, has been doing movie sountracks lately. Check the credits of some notable films, you'll see his name there.

Kidhuman
10-31-2007, 08:05 PM
Secret Sahmadi

2-1B
10-31-2007, 11:01 PM
Unplugged was the best Live Kiss album.

Aerosmith's Unplugged is one of my favorite Live albums and it wasn't even released officially. lol

John Fogerty Premonition

Bruce Springsteen Live 75-85 (3 disc)

Bruce Springsteen Live in NYC (2 disc)

Bruce Springsteen Plugged - come on it's got Red Headed Woman !!! :grin:

El Chuxter
11-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Ah, if we're counting bootlegs, then Aerosmith Unplugged is way up the list.

I must also add Muddy Waters at Newport and BB King's Live at the Regal.

vader121
11-01-2007, 09:55 AM
I also have to add the following ...

-Iron Maiden "Live After Death" = just awesome! I actually preferred the cassette version as it had a few more songs on it. At least the version I had did. "Rock in Rio" is also pretty good.
-Megadeth (can't remember the name) = they put this out several years ago and has a bunch of rarities like 'Devils Island' and 'Mechanix' on it.
-Metallica "Binge and Purge" = put this out with the box set. Good stuff live but pretty much all the expected tunes.

I did like the Kiss unplugged. Had some older tunes on it that sounded good acoustic. Alice in Chains did a good one too.

JON9000
11-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Iron Maiden "Live After Death" = just awesome! I actually preferred the cassette version as it had a few more songs on it. At least the version I had did.

That's my all time fave. The first 3 or 4 Maiden albums (but particularly "Iron Maiden" and "Killers" with Dianno's vocals) were really showing their age even in 1985 due to a flat sound. All of those tracks on side two of the cassette from those early albums are so much better live, it's beyond belief.

You'll be happy to know a 2-disc version of the album has been released, so it is available in all of its glory. To fill out the running time, they added some multi-media stuff on disc two. I used to have the video cassette of Live After Death, and there was a version of "Sanctuary" on it that whupped total arse. I wish they would have included it.

Anyway, great album. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
11-01-2007, 08:57 PM
I don't generally care for live albums for the very reasons mentioned here, and only have a handful in my collection.

I was gonna add Johnny Cash: At Folsom Prison, but Chux beat me to it. All the live material on Aerosmith: Pandora's Box is really great stuff. Led Zeppelin: BBC Sessions is a good album even if it does have a few of the same songs over and over.

vader121
11-02-2007, 08:39 AM
That's my all time fave. The first 3 or 4 Maiden albums (but particularly "Iron Maiden" and "Killers" with Dianno's vocals) were really showing their age even in 1985 due to a flat sound. All of those tracks on side two of the cassette from those early albums are so much better live, it's beyond belief.

You'll be happy to know a 2-disc version of the album has been released, so it is available in all of its glory. To fill out the running time, they added some multi-media stuff on disc two. I used to have the video cassette of Live After Death, and there was a version of "Sanctuary" on it that whupped total arse. I wish they would have included it.

Anyway, great album. :thumbsup:

I believe the other song that my cassette version had was 'Die With Your Boots On'. Sort of a lame song but it is still Maiden.

Cool thing about my cd version is it has a bonus disk with 'Murders in the Rue Morgue' & the instrumental from Powerslave on it. There's one more but I can't recall what it is.

Maiden is my favorite metal band. Never seen the live though which is saddenning but I have all of their albums except a few on cd.

mabudonicus
11-02-2007, 10:36 AM
I've seen Iron Maiden like 5 times and they pretty much do the same damn set over and over- lots of stuff from the "dark times" like "Evil that men Do" and "the clansman" which aren't my faves. "Maiden Japan" is an excellent live album, if you can find it.

Manowars "Hell on Stage" and "Hell on Wheels" are both awesome.

Motorhead "Live at Brixton" "Everything Louder then Everyone else" and a few more are awesome.

there's lots more but I'm blankin right now :D

Oh Hendrix "Live at Winterland" is freakin insanely good.

:beard: Iso & Baws