PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero III

preacher
11-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Kind of shocked nobody is talking about this.

I bought the Wii version over the weekend. Wireless is the way to go! I really like being able to move around the room without worrying about cords. Contrary to some rumors. You don't need batteries for the guitar attachment, just the Wiimote. I have rechargable battery packs so its not a problem. I was a little disappointed with the use of the internal speaker of the wiimote. The way it was toted to have additional features exclusive to the Wii, I expected more. You can barely hear when you miss a string. The graphics are substantially better than the PS2. But definitely not even close to the crispness you see on the 360 demo units.

Either the programmers have made the guitar hero game easier or my stints with the previous three have improved my abilities substantially. I'm playing "Hard" currently and have finished the first 22 songs, most of which with 4 stars only playing an hour each day. There are songs in Guitar Hero II that I am still struggling to finish on Hard. Psychobilly Freakout still kicks my ***.

The track selection is better than Guitar Hero I and II. But I still think the tracks from rock the 80s was the best lineup. Yeah the selection was really short. But their were a lot of 3 note chords that made it challenging.

I'm also not sure I like the artistic design either. After each venue is finished there is a short anime-esque' short. I don't know. I kind of liked the simpler, almost preschool like shorts of the bus cutouts being moved to the next vista. It just fit the mood better.

The boss fights are an interesting twist, but seem gimmicky to me.

I think this franchise needs to evolve substantially if its going to survive. The game is fun, but the formula is starting to wear thin.

figrin bran
11-01-2007, 11:04 PM
I got this on Sunday as well.

I like Rockband's setlist better so I'll definitely be getting that as well.

This is the first GH game I've ever owned and so even though I've played guitar for a long time, I'm still trying to translate those skills over into the game. I've beat it on easy and now I'm working on medium.

Rocketboy
11-01-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm going to have to wait until Christmas.
And I'm still ticked (and puzzled) at the dropping/changing of the Velvet Revolver tune(s).

figrin bran
11-02-2007, 03:23 AM
I think the Velvet Revolver tune(s) will be downloadable content

Lord Malakite
11-02-2007, 06:22 AM
I bought the Wii version over the weekend. Wireless is the way to go!
Technically all but the PC/Mac Guitar Hero III guitar are wireless. :D

As far as downloadable Xbox Live content goes here are the songs currently known:

Guitar Hero III compact disc soundtrack bonus pack (currently available - must be redeemed by a special code packaged with the Guitar Hero III soundtrack disc).

"Carcinogen Crush" – AFI
"Putting Holes in Happiness (Nick Zinner Remix)" – Marilyn Manson
"Tina" – Flyleaf

Guitar Hero III Foo Fighters pack (not currently available - songs were leaked by Xbox Live Leaderboards).

"All My Life" – Foo Fighters
"The Pretender" – Foo Fighters
"This Is a Call" – Foo Fighters

Guitar Hero III Velvet Revolver pack (not currently available - songs were leaked by Xbox Live Leaderboards).

"Slither" – Velvet Revolver
"She Builds Quick Machines" – Velvet Revolver
"Messages" – Velvet Revolver

Guitar Hero III boss battle pack (not currently available - these songs are all identical to the boss battle songs, but they are in traditional non-boss song format. Songs were leaked by Xbox Live Leaderboards).

"Tom Morello Guitar Battle"
"Slash Guitar Battle"
"Lou The Devil Guitar Battle - The Devil Went Down to Georgia" – Steve Oumiette (Inspired by the Charlie Daniels Band)

DarthQuack
11-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Picked this up Sunday morning for the Wii. Only played it for about an hour since I was out of town the last three days, but I also enjoy the wireless and graphics. I liked the duel with the boss. Just wondering when we'll be able to get another Wii guitar just by itself. Or is there one already out?

El Chuxter
11-02-2007, 03:52 PM
If you defeat the devil, do you get to rescue Robert Johnson from hell?

General_Grievous
11-03-2007, 12:48 AM
I picked this up on Sunday for the 360. It's fun, and I enjoy some of the songs on here a bit more than GHII, like "Paint it Black" and "One". And "Through the Fire and Flames" has got to be the hardest song to play...ever.

mabudonicus
11-03-2007, 11:08 AM
lol a dude at work was talking about the game and asked me if I'd ever heard of DragonFroce (I had) and told me that Fire and Flames was on there, I was kinda surprised, I couldn't play that sucker on a REAL guitar, I'd imagine it's a pretty tough go in the game too eh??
:beard: Iso & Baws

Good to know true metal is still represented out there

figrin bran
11-08-2007, 02:48 AM
lol a dude at work was talking about the game and asked me if I'd ever heard of DragonFroce (I had) and told me that Fire and Flames was on there, I was kinda surprised, I couldn't play that sucker on a REAL guitar, I'd imagine it's a pretty tough go in the game too eh??
:beard: Iso & Baws

Good to know true metal is still represented out there

Yes, even on easy it's really, really tough! I do play real guitar and I'll never be able to play that song!

I finished easy career mode, I'm stuck on the Slash duel in medium and I've passed 3 songs on hard.

Mostly I'm just practicing Knights of Cydonia over and over again.

BanthaPoodoo
11-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Either the programmers have made the guitar hero game easier or my stints with the previous three have improved my abilities substantially. I'm playing "Hard" currently and have finished the first 22 songs, most of which with 4 stars only playing an hour each day. There are songs in Guitar Hero II that I am still struggling to finish on Hard. Psychobilly Freakout still kicks my ***.

Its because the company that made this game is not the same as the one that made the last three.

Activision made GH III, Harmonix made !, II, & 80's. Harmonix is now making Rock Band that has drums, mics, & guitar parts.

Thats why this one seems so much easier & why there are so many REAL songs on there instead of covers. Activision has a lot more $$$ to spend on licensing.

GH III is way easier though than the others. Rented it for 5 days & beat it in three.

Lord Malakite
11-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Just a heads up, the Foo Fighters pack and Velvet Revolver pack are now available for download for 500 Microsoft points each on Xbox Live (for 360 owners) or $6.25 each on Playstation Network (for PS3 owners). I can also confirm that the Boss Battle pack will be available for download for free for both Xbox Live and Playstation Network before the end of November.

As for the compact disc bonus pack, I can confirm that it will remain as a free exclusive only on Xbox Live for people who bought the disc.

figrin bran
11-15-2007, 01:46 AM
Preacher and BanthaPoodoo, you guys must be really, really good at this game because I'm barely getting by on Hard and that's with years of guitar playing experience. Slowly but surely, I'm trying to translate those skills into skills with the GH controller.

I 5 starred When You Were Young on hard but that's only because it's a really easy song.

General_Grievous
11-15-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm trying to beat the Hard difficulty, but I'm stuck on that damn Slipknot song.

CaptainSolo1138
11-19-2007, 09:34 AM
"Through the Fire and Flames" on expert (http://youtube.com/watch?v=m0dh0aix4mM). No, its not me. I won't lay my hands on sweet, sweet GH3 until Christmas. I'm so beyond looking forward to this game.

For the record, I have 5 starred everything on hard on GH2 except "Carry Me Home" and "Psychobilly Freakout". I've gold starred about 15 of them as well. I've finished everything on expert but I'll be damned if I can get further than 47% on "Jordan".

JON9000
11-19-2007, 09:58 AM
I played this on 360 over the weekend.

666- the number of the beast!

THAT was fun. I've never played GH before. I have to get it now. I wish they would make a guitar that would connect to all the consoles.

figrin bran
11-19-2007, 11:49 AM
I've lost around 20 consecutive times to Slash on the hard duel and even unleashing 3 power ups on him won't do the trick.

I really dislike the duels as the game is tough enough with the aforementioned Through the Fire and Flames and other songs.

jedi master sal
11-19-2007, 06:10 PM
I've been doing pretty well with the game. I beat Medium in a day, played half way through Hard on the second. Now I've just been putzing along.
though I am taking my system with all my GH games with me on Thanksgiving up to my fiancee's mom's so the whole family can play.

Should be fun, just hoping noone breaks any of my guitars...

preacher
11-19-2007, 07:05 PM
OK, I may have spoke a bit too soon.

The last set on hard, the one with "One" is heinous. I don't see how I'm going to possibly finish Iron Maiden, or Slayer. Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover wasn't terrible. But the others - man.

I agree, the Slipknot song is tricky because the tempo of the notes changes constantly during the verses. Listening to the drum beat did not help me a bit like it usually does. To get past it I actually ended up intentionally missing notes so that I could stick with one tempo.

I decided to play through all of medium. Apparently some of the songs, One being one of them can only be "unlocked" in hard. And it would appear that there are other additional "unlocked" tracks in all eight sets, or there is a ninth set.

I see what everbody means about Dragon Force. Very nasty song even on Medium.

Now that I've played through the whole game on Medium and have watched all the animemated shorts, including the final boss, I can see why Activision decided to make all the animated shorts more story-based. The unlockable character you are awarded for completing the final boss battle is my favorite yet. Very fitting.

And so I retract the complaint I had about the lack of cheesy cutouts of cars in between sets.

2-1B
11-19-2007, 10:48 PM
"Through the Fire and Flames" on expert (http://youtube.com/watch?v=m0dh0aix4mM). No, its not me. I won't lay my hands on sweet, sweet GH3 until Christmas. I'm so beyond looking forward to this game.

Cool, you found my vid on Youtube. Thanks for posting it. \m/ :twisted: \m/

figrin bran
11-19-2007, 10:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many of you GH players also play real guitar?

This is the 1st GH game that I've owned and I'm finding that although it helps, it doesn't help out nearly enough.

DarthQuack
11-19-2007, 11:15 PM
I had wanted to play once....even bought a $200 guitar....never put in enough time though.....gave it to my sister who plays pretty well....but I love playing GH.

bighead5
11-20-2007, 12:43 AM

This is the 1st GH game that I've owned and I'm finding that although it helps, it doesn't help out nearly enough.

I play real guitar (two real Les Paul customs, along with a few other guitars), and like you I think GH helps (with fingering), but not much else beyond that. GH is totally different than playing a real guitar, but it's a lot of fun nonetheless. :thumbsup:

figrin bran
11-20-2007, 03:26 AM
I play real guitar (two real Les Paul customs, along with a few other guitars), and like you I think GH helps (with fingering), but not much else beyond that. GH is totally different than playing a real guitar, but it's a lot of fun nonetheless. :thumbsup:

I think it helps in other areas as well like familiarity with phrasings, especially for the solos. I didn't know Mississippi Queen before this game but because the phrasings are "familiar", I didn't have much trouble with it. There are also other songs where if you do play guitar, you kind of know to expect ascending or descending patterns, you can kind of guess where the music is headed, so to speak and I can envision that people without a musical background might find it tougher in that department.

Anyhow, I finally beat Slash on hard and have just passed Knights of Cydonia. 3's and 7's and the Slipknot song are giving me trouble, however.

Lord Malakite
11-20-2007, 03:47 AM
Apparently some of the songs, One being one of them can only be "unlocked" in hard. And it would appear that there are other additional "unlocked" tracks in all eight sets, or there is a ninth set.
"One" is available in all difficulties, so you don't have to play on hard difficulty to get it. Now there are a few songs that will only become available by playing them in Co-op mode first.

"Sabotage" – Beastie Boys
"Reptilia" – The Strokes
"Suck My Kiss" – Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll" – Blue Öyster Cult
"Helicopter" – Bloc Party
"Monsters" – Matchbook Romance

Oh, one other thing I like to pass along, the 360's boss pack is now available for download on Xbox Live. Those with the PS3 version, you still have some waiting to do for the Playstation Network's boss pack release.

preacher
11-20-2007, 11:13 AM
You mean those six are only available in Co-op career mode or you have to beat Co-op career mode to unlock those songs? Does it matter what difficulty level?

For the boss pack, does that mean you get addition boss songs against slash et al or are they brand new bosses battles with unlockable characters?

Not that it matters, I own a Wii. Just curious though.

The fact that the XBOX 360 and the PS3 allow you to download additional song packs for guitar hero is almost enough to get me to shell out 400 clams to buy one of them. I like the game that much. If they weren't such pieces of crap (overheating issues etc.) I'd go for it.

The other thing that guitar hero teaches that could be applied to real guitar is muscle memory. I dabbled at guitar for about a year until my business travels got in the way. So I'm not too proficient with a guitar. Mostly use power chords. I never got good at hammer ons and pull offs so I can't do much.

Have you guys seen the other guitar game at target and walmart? Its in the toy department. Its kind of like the guitar hero controller except that there are about 30 smaller buttons that correspond to the frets on a real guitar. I've been tempted to buy that as like a next step to learning additional chord. I'll be damned if I can remember the name of the game.

CaptainSolo1138
11-20-2007, 11:55 AM
I was reading an interview with Slash in some video game magazine and he said you're an idiot if you think that being good at GH means you will be able to play guitar.

He also said he had to unhook his PS2 because he was "shirking responsibilities" due to his addiction to Guitar Hero II.

El Chuxter
11-20-2007, 12:12 PM
But we all saw South Park. Real guitar is lame.

2-1B
11-20-2007, 08:13 PM
I was reading an interview with Slash in some video game magazine and he said you're an idiot if you think that being good at GH means you will be able to play guitar.

Would it mean I'll be able to be a heroin junkie and/or cocaine addict though? :confused:

CaptainSolo1138
11-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Would it mean I'll be able to be a heroin junkie and/or cocaine addict though? :confused:
Probably not, but proxy-Jewishness is not out of the question.

figrin bran
11-20-2007, 11:14 PM

He also said he had to unhook his PS2 because he was "shirking responsibilities" due to his addiction to Guitar Hero II.

But Cap, what's a person of his rock god status supposed to say? Obviously he's not going to make it seem like any person can play One on Expert and then expect to be able to duplicate it on real guitar because it diminishes the value of his own abilities.

Personally I think that if you can pass songs on Expert or even Hard/Medium/Easy and are willing to put in the work required to get proficient at guitar, you should definitely give it a try.

Rocketboy
11-20-2007, 11:53 PM
My brother-in-law plays bass and picked up GH fairly easily. He said it reminded him of playing his bass a bit.

Lord Malakite
11-21-2007, 05:01 AM
You mean those six are only available in Co-op career mode or you have to beat Co-op career mode to unlock those songs? Does it matter what difficulty level?
Those six songs are the Co-op career mode's exclusive encore songs. Once you beat them in Co-op career mode I'm pretty certain they become playable in single player's Quick Play mode. It doesn't matter what difficulty level you beat them on.

For the boss pack, does that mean you get addition boss songs against slash et al or are they brand new bosses battles with unlockable characters?

Not that it matters, I own a Wii. Just curious though.
Its the same three boss songs that are already included in the game, but this pack allows you to play them as normal songs (with star power, ability to 5 star the song, etc.) from beginning to end. You don't have to worry about defeating a boss.

The fact that the XBOX 360 and the PS3 allow you to download additional song packs for guitar hero is almost enough to get me to shell out 400 clams to buy one of them. I like the game that much. If they weren't such pieces of crap (overheating issues etc.) I'd go for it.
I haven't seen the Wii version in person to confirm whether it has a downloaded song page like the 360 and PS3 version does, but there was some talk before Guitar Hero III's release that the Wii version would also have downloadable content once Neversoft worked something out with Nintendo and their online WiiWare service. That could've changed since the release of the game though.

Have you guys seen the other guitar game at target and walmart? Its in the toy department. Its kind of like the guitar hero controller except that there are about 30 smaller buttons that correspond to the frets on a real guitar. I've been tempted to buy that as like a next step to learning additional chord. I'll be damned if I can remember the name of the game.
Rock Band would of been my guess at the game you saw had it not been in the toy department. :D Probably one of those cheap TV plug-in-plays that I've been seeing in toy catalogs trying to cash in on the Guitar Hero craze.

Speaking of Rock Band, it was developed by Harmonix (the same guys responsible for developing the original Guitar Hero, Guitar Hero II, and Guitar Hero Rocks the 80's) before Activision purchased RedOctane and Harmonix itself was purchased by MTV Networks. In additon to playing guitar you can also play the drums and sing in Rock Band. If you do decide to get it be certain to take extra care while playing the drums. From what I've heard its the the most delicate of the bunch and can easily be broken.

preacher
11-30-2007, 09:32 AM
I've seen the guitar hero rip offs. This one I'm talking about isn't quite the same. This one I'm talking about has six rows of smaller buttons that go up to about what would be about the eighth or ninth fret on a real guitar. So basically you can actually play a C or G chord with the correct fingering.

So its a lot closer to playing a real guitar than the GH controller. Next time I'm in town and in the toy section I'll get the name.

Blue2th
11-30-2007, 10:28 AM

I play real guitar in a working band. Got two Fender Strats and a Hamer Mirage, four or five tube amps. I used to collect guitars like action-figures.

I have mixed feelings about Guitar Hero.
While it may not help you actually learn how to play, it will help you learn how to pose. Maybe help you get over your stage fright if you play in front of friends. Looks like alot of fun regardless.

I could see this thing developing into where it's in the bars and drinking establishments where people like me play for money.
Like Karayoke only with instruments (or virtual ones)
Believe me bands I have been in have lost places to play because of Karayoke. That's just business and the cold hard facts.

It was kinda funny when we were auditioning singers for a hard rock band I was in. A couple of guys came in all bragging they had no problem singing ACDC or Dokken, Judas Priest etc. because they do it all the time at Karayoke. Then when confronted by the moving air of a real Marshall Half-stack, or Drums/ cymbals (which don't have volume knobs) They freak out and freeze up.

CaptainSolo1138
11-30-2007, 10:53 AM
I could see this thing developing into where it's in the bars and drinking establishments where people like me play for money.
They do have tournaments in many bars. I believe there have been a few in this area.

Slicker
11-30-2007, 11:12 AM
I love this damn game!!

When a guy in my shop got it we played it non-stop during cruise! There was literally an F-18 that couldn't fly because I was playing this game and not working on the RADAR components to make it flyable for it's missions (don't worry though. I ended up fixing it after about 3 days of the bird sitting in the hangar bay...)...

Blue2th
11-30-2007, 12:12 PM
They do have tournaments in many bars. I believe there have been a few in this area.

Oh oh, I'm in danger of becoming extinct like a dinosaur. They'll be digging me up like an old fossil, like a curiosity, saying "remember when you could see these creatures in bars" :tired:

Lord Malakite
11-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Some more download song news to list for the 360 and PS3.

The boss pack is now available for free on Playstation Network for the PS3.

Also, a new Halo song download is available for free on Xbox Live for the 360. Since this download involves the Halo game series I think it is safe to assume this download will remain exclusive to the 360.

"Halo Theme MJOLNIR Mix" – O'Donnell/Salvatori/Vai

figrin bran
12-11-2007, 02:52 AM
After being stuck on "Before I Forget" on hard for what seemed like the longest time, I finally 3 starred it tonight. I also got through Cult of Personality and Cliffs of Dover but there's still a lot of work ahead of me before I can finish Hard mode. On expert, I'm stuck on the Morello duel.

Lord Malakite
12-11-2007, 04:04 AM
I've seen the guitar hero rip offs. This one I'm talking about isn't quite the same. This one I'm talking about has six rows of smaller buttons that go up to about what would be about the eighth or ninth fret on a real guitar. So basically you can actually play a C or G chord with the correct fingering.

So its a lot closer to playing a real guitar than the GH controller. Next time I'm in town and in the toy section I'll get the name.

The closest thing I can think of to a plug-in video game that is "Guitar Hero" like, but with the tons of buttons you're decribing is Mattel's "I Can Play Guitar" TV Game.

figrin bran
12-17-2007, 01:39 AM
I passed "One" and "Number" on hard tonight so that just leaves me 2 songs before I finish that setting. I'm also a bit over halfway on expert. Not bad for only playing GH games for less than 2 months, right? :p

Slicker
12-17-2007, 06:00 AM
I've moved on from Guitar Hero III. I've moved on to bigger and better things like:

ROCK BAND!!!

This game rocks! I don't feel like starting another thread but it's friggin' awesome!!

CaptainSolo1138
12-17-2007, 08:47 AM
ROCK BAND!!!

This game rocks! I don't feel like starting another thread but it's friggin' awesome!!My jealously will not allow me to take that discussion any further.

I FINALLY got GH3 for my birthday. Initial impressions:

-The battles are kinda lame. I like the concept, though.
-The fretboard is a little different. Having played 1,2 and 80s so much it took a few songs to fully adjust to it.
-I like the additional extras such as the odd guitars and clothes. It gives you more to do when you're resting your wrist.
-The videos are pretty neat. Tom Morello doesn't appear to be the self-righteous douche I assumed he was.:p
-I like the cheat menu, where you can simply enter them once and then turn them on or off.
-The songs, IMO, are either lame or awesome. There's really no in between.
-Its much harder than the first three installments, which I appreciate. I've noticed that they made the chord combos REALLY difficult (see: "Cherub Rock", by far the funnest song I've played thus far).
-I've yet to hear a song on there that I've never heard before and say, "Damn! That song is awesome!" like I did on the other three. "Holiday in Cambodia" is alright, but its no "Beast and the Harlot".

I'm sure I'll add more as I progress.

General_Grievous
12-17-2007, 12:31 PM
How is it that I can beat GHII on the hard difficulty but I'm still stuck on "Before I Forget" on hard in GHIII??? :mad:

I have progressed, though. In both GHII and GHIII, I've gotten through a few sets on Expert.

BanthaPoodoo
12-17-2007, 03:20 PM
How is it that I can beat GHII on the hard difficulty but I'm still stuck on "Before I Forget" on hard in GHIII??? :mad:

I have progressed, though. In both GHII and GHIII, I've gotten through a few sets on Expert.

Because the people that made GHI, II, & 80's are not the same people that made GHIII.

General_Grievous
12-17-2007, 03:25 PM
I've moved on from Guitar Hero III. I've moved on to bigger and better things like:

ROCK BAND!!!

This game rocks! I don't feel like starting another thread but it's friggin' awesome!!

Slick, have you been playing the guitar-only part of the game, or have you tried all of the instruments?

Rocketboy
12-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Slick plays them all - at the same time!

figrin bran
12-18-2007, 01:46 AM

Is it the opening riff for Before I Forget that's giving you trouble? I was stuck on that for quite some time myself. If that's the source of your woes, keep at it as there's a peculiar timing to that riff and once you get something close to it, the rest of the song isn't that tough.

Well, I passed Raining Blood on hard tonight! :D I even missed a note in the star power phrase right before Mosh 1 so it was a Luke in the Death Star trench letting the Force flow through him type of moment.

Slicker
12-19-2007, 01:50 AM
-I've yet to hear a song on there that I've never heard before and say, "Damn! That song is awesome!" like I did on the other three. "Holiday in Cambodia" is alright, but its no "Beast and the Harlot".I don't know. I've grown really fond of "When We Were Young" by The Killers.

Slick, have you been playing the guitar-only part of the game, or have you tried all of the instruments?I've played all of the instruments (minus the bass but we've only got one guitar). The drums are really fun and singing is alright. The only song that I can actually sing is "Epic" by Faith No More. All of the others you just hum the right tune and you'll be fine.

It turns out that the guy that bought it got one of the first run guitars which is defective. The strum bar double hits EVERY note. We found a video online of how to fix it and now it works like a charm.

The guitar is more difficult than GH because the strum bar is tough to push and isn't as springy. Also, some of the fret combos border on retarded and them just trying to hard to make you miss. There are a few that I just don't even try because I know that I can't do them. All in all though this game is gonna more than give GH a run for it's money.

figrin bran
12-19-2007, 02:27 AM
The guitar is more difficult than GH because the strum bar is tough to push and isn't as springy. Also, some of the fret combos border on retarded and them just trying to hard to make you miss. There are a few that I just don't even try because I know that I can't do them. All in all though this game is gonna more than give GH a run for it's money.

Yes indeed! Absolutely absurd chord combos at times. Cherub Rock has a bunch of these and I did much worse on Rock Band's expert and hard than I did with GH3's Cherub Rock. I don't have the Strat controller since I only bought the game but I have tried it out at Best Buy and I actually kind of like it. The strum bar makes "alt-strumming" much easier than on the GH explorer.

But if we're talking solely about guitar play between the two games, I prefer GH. The charts and the engines just feel a lot better to me and I still don't like those rectangular notes on Rock Band. Also, ridiculous gimmicky overcharted chord combos aside, GH seems to be harder than RB. RB's Hard is like midway between GH's medium and hard due to the generally easier charts.

However, when it comes to downloadable content, Rock Band crushes GH. I just bought Weezer's Buddy Holly and Radiohead's My Iron Lung tonight and had a great time playing both.

Just to stay somewhat on topic, I managed to pass Same Old Song and Dance on expert so now I'm stuck on the Slash duel, as well as the Lou duel on Hard.

Lord Malakite
12-19-2007, 04:45 AM
The guitar is more difficult than GH because the strum bar is tough to push and isn't as springy.
You don't have to use the Rock Band guitar if you don't want to. The GH I, II, & III guitars will also work for Rock Band slick (provided of course you are using the same system for both games). Just throwing it out there in case you have access to any of those. It would also solve your bass guitar problem.

Slicker
12-19-2007, 05:52 AM
You don't have to use the Rock Band guitar if you don't want to. The GH I, II, & III guitars will also work for Rock Band slick (provided of course you are using the same system for both games). Just throwing it out there in case you have access to any of those. It would also solve your bass guitar problem.That's only for XBox 360 though. As far as I can tell the PS guitars are NOT compatible. I read up a little bit and apparently RB has a patch for the compatibility just waiting but GH won't let them release it so, since I'm using a PS3, I'll just have to wait.

Lord Malakite
12-19-2007, 02:36 PM
That's only for XBox 360 though. As far as I can tell the PS guitars are NOT compatible. I read up a little bit and apparently RB has a patch for the compatibility just waiting but GH won't let them release it so, since I'm using a PS3, I'll just have to wait.
Hmm, thats odd. I just looked it up and it appears you are right. The last time I was looking up compatibility issues between GH guitars and the RB game a few weeks ago there was no mention to this compatibility issue with the PS3 version.

Slicker
12-19-2007, 09:02 PM
When the guy bought it we all thought it was compatible because someone else said they were (it turns out he had the XBox 360 versions) and we tried and got nothing.

Hopefully GH allows the patch to go through but I don't see that happening.

CaptainSolo1138
12-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Seriously, dude, screw "Raining Blood". I can't get past the 38% mark on hard. I beat the following three songs ("One", "Cliffs of Dover" and...the other song) with no problem at all, but I just cannot nail that super quick intro part. AARRGGHH!

Also, I bought all the extra songs and am anything but impressed with them thus far. Where's the Acro-Brats and Freezepop dammit!

figrin bran
12-20-2007, 11:52 AM
You must be referring to the infamous "Mosh 1" section of "Raining Blood", Cap. Being the GH veteran that you are, just keep at it and I'm sure you'll pass it. Once you pass that dreaded section, the rest of the song is nowhere near as hard.

Lord Malakite
12-20-2007, 03:20 PM
A few more songs have been made available for download for Guitar Hero III.

Here is a recap of everything that is currently available (or will soon be available) for download:

Soundtrack Companion Track Pack – Released October 31, 2007 (XBLM)
Xbox 360 exclusive: 38 MB, Free on Xbox Live Marketplace

"Carcinogen Crush" – AFI
"Putting Holes in Happiness (Nick Zinner Remix)" – Marilyn Manson
"Tina" – Flyleaf

(Note: The Soundtrack Companion Track Pack is only redeemable by use of a "special code" made available by purchasing the Guitar Hero III compact disc soundtrack.)

Foo Fighters Track Pack – Released November 08, 2007 (XBLM, PSN)
PlayStation 3: 61 MB, $6.25 on the PlayStation Store
Xbox 360: 64.28 MB, 500 MSP on Xbox Live Marketplace

"All My Life" – Foo Fighters
"The Pretender" – Foo Fighters
"This Is a Call" – Foo Fighters

Velvet Revolver Track Pack – Released November 08, 2007 (XBLM, PSN)
PlayStation 3: 46 MB, $6.25 on the PlayStation Store
Xbox 360: 56.01 MB, 500 MSP on Xbox Live Marketplace

"Slither" – Velvet Revolver
"She Builds Quick Machines" – Velvet Revolver
"Messages" – Velvet Revolver

Boss Battle Track Pack – Released November 15, 2007 (XBLM); November 29, 2007 (PSN)
PlayStation 3: 78 MB, Free on the PlayStation Store
Xbox 360: 71.96 MB, Free on Xbox Live Marketplace

"Tom Morello Guitar Battle" – Tom Morello
"Slash Guitar Battle" – Slash
"Lou The Devil Guitar Battle - The Devil Went Down to Georgia" – Steve Oumiette (Inspired by the Charlie Daniels Band)

(Note: When the Boss Battle Track Pack is downloaded, the three songs used for Tom Morello, Slash, and Lou's in-game boss battles become available in Quick Play, Multiplayer, Online Multiplayer Modes, Training Mode, and Career Mode as regular Guitar Hero III songs.)

Halo Theme MJOLNIR Mix (Single Track) – Released November 22, 2007 (XBLM)
Xbox 360 exclusive: 27.82 MB, Free on Xbox Live Marketplace

"Halo Theme MJOLNIR Mix" – O'Donnell/Salvatori/Vai

Warner/Reprise Track Pack - Released December 20, 2007 (XBLM, PSN)
PlayStation 3: 101.15 MB, $6.25 on the PlayStation Store
Xbox 360: 53 MB, 500 MSP on Xbox Live Marketplace

"No More Sorrow" - Linkin Park
"Sleeping Giant" - Mastodon
"Pretty Handsome Awkward" - The Used

Die Fantastischen Vier "Ernten Was Wir Säen" (Single Track) - Released December 20, 2007 (XBLM); January 3, 2008 (PSN)
PlayStation 3: N/A MB, $2.49 on the PlayStation Store
Xbox 360: 35 MB, 200 MSP on Xbox Live Marketplace

"Ernten Was Wir Säen" - Die Fantastischen Vier

Extremoduro "So Payaso" (Single Track) - Released December 20, 2007 (XBLM); January 3, 2008 (PSN)
Xbox 360: 35 MB, 200 MSP on Xbox Live Marketplace

"So Payaso" - Extremoduro

Trust "Antisocial" (Single Track) - Released December 20, 2007 (XBLM); January 3, 2008 (PSN)
Xbox 360: 25 MB, 200 MSP on Xbox Live Marketplace

"Antisocial" - Trust

Holiday 2007 Single "We Three Kings" (Single Track) - Released December 20, 2007 (XBLM, PSN)
PlayStation 3: 11 MB, Free on the PlayStation Store
Xbox 360: 14 MB, Free on Xbox Live Marketplace

"We Three Kings" - Steve Ouimette

Classic Rock Track Pack - To be released (XBLM, PSN)
PlayStation 3: N/A MB, N/A on the PlayStation Store
Xbox 360: N/A MB, N/A MSP on Xbox Live Marketplace

"Peace of Mind" – Boston
"Any Way You Want It" – Journey
"Juke Box Hero" – Foreigner

Slicker
12-21-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm gonna have to go back and try Raining Blood on hard. I remember that it was the last song that I still needed 5 stars on on medium. It's not even that tough it's just...stupid.

I've been playing Rock Band and I really wanna go back and play GHIII on hard. I can get through most songs on Rock Band on expert but I know for a fact that they rate at about the hard level on GH. They go to slow and there aren't NEARLY enough notes to make an even comparison.

CaptainSolo1138
12-21-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm gonna have to go back and try Raining Blood on hard. I remember that it was the last song that I still needed 5 stars on on medium. It's not even that tough it's just...stupid.I played it on practice last night and that song is SUPER easy outside of "Mosh 1", just like figgy said. The problem I'm having is executing the "pull-offs". I can hammer-on with the best of them (green, red, yellow) but the pull-offs (orange, blue, yellow) ALWAYS give me a hard time and those plus a few chords make up that entire section. The hand movement for them is awkward. They work great if you're coordinated enough to do them.

figrin bran
12-21-2007, 12:17 PM
I played it on practice last night and that song is SUPER easy outside of "Mosh 1", just like figgy said. The problem I'm having is executing the "pull-offs". I can hammer-on with the best of them (green, red, yellow) but the pull-offs (orange, blue, yellow) ALWAYS give me a hard time and those plus a few chords make up that entire section. The hand movement for them is awkward. They work great if you're coordinated enough to do them.

Cap, for the pull offs in Mosh 1, my pinky is too slow and messes up the timing so what I do is slide my hand up so that the ring finger is on the orange and I just pull off ring, middle, index (orange, blue, yellow respectively). Then I slide back so that index is on red, middle on yellow, ring on blue for the hammer on part. And then they put on a few chords here and there to trip you up.

It worked for me but your hand gets really, really tired.

Slicker, it's scary to think that "Green Grass and High Tides" would be even harder if were on GH instead of Rock Band! I was wondering if being able to use the solo frets on the Strat and not having to strum make the songs much easier?

CaptainSolo1138
12-21-2007, 12:20 PM
I've never used my pinky, so that's not the issue. I know I'll eventually get it, it just might take a while. Thank God I start vacation at 5:00pm.:)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-21-2007, 09:24 PM
I have mixed feelings about Guitar Hero.
While it may not help you actually learn how to play, it will help you learn how to pose. Maybe help you get over your stage fright if you play in front of friends. Looks like alot of fun regardless.
That's kind of how I feel about the drumming part of Rock Band (though I'm by no means a professional). I saw a kid playing them in the store and wanted to kick his *** for holding the sticks wrong . . . I guess I'll let it slide. :D

We're trying to get my sister GHII and III for Christmas, one of which will have another guitar so we can finally play the two-player mode. Should be good.

Slicker
12-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Slicker, it's scary to think that "Green Grass and High Tides" would be even harder if were on GH instead of Rock Band! I was wondering if being able to use the solo frets on the Strat and not having to strum make the songs much easier?I've never used the lower frets except for jamming out at the end of songs because you don't have to strum and you can get TONS of points. Otherwise you still have to strum (unless on a solo) so it'll take some getting used to.

I've never used my pinky, so that's not the issue. I know I'll eventually get it, it just might take a while. Thank God I start vacation at 5:00pm.:)You don't use your pinky? I've been wonderin' if I'm even playin' it correctly! What I do is when I get to harder difficulties I slide my hand down and use my pinky on orange, ring on blue, middle on red and pointer on yellow. I then just slide down to hit green since there doesn't seem to be as many of them on harder songs. I can't play easy because I'm soooo accustomed to playing with orange.

Rocketboy
12-22-2007, 10:22 PM
You don't use your pinky? I've been wonderin' if I'm even playin' it correctly! That's what she said.

I can't play easy because I'm soooo accustomed to playing with orange.That's what she said again.

figrin bran
12-23-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm having the most difficult time ever trying to beat Lou on hard. I'd rather that they made me play Raining Blood again rather than have to win these blasted duels!

General_Grievous
12-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Due to my constant Guitar Hero sessions during the winter break, I've been inspired to sport a Slash avatar.

Lord Malakite
12-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Here is a bit of good news (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/12/10/wii_guitar_hero_3_getting_dlc_fixed_sound/1) for those of you who own Guitar Hero III for the Wii concerning downloadable content and the "mono only" sound problem.

The Wii version of Guitar Hero 3 hasn't proven to be the most popular version of the game, mainly due to the fact that it only has mono sound. Thankfully, Activision is on the case.

Not only has Activision pledged to send out replacement game discs by early 2008, according to GameTab, but there is also the promise of new content as on the other platforms.

Activision hasn't put an exact date on the new downloadable content for the Wii, but has indicated that it will be available in Q1 of 2008. More importantly, the new stereo-capable game discs which are to be sent out will be completely free of charge.

No details have been released about how the new content will be made available and how players will access it, but Activision is said to be working very closely with Nintendo on the matter.

DarthQuack
12-24-2007, 02:08 PM
That's a plus LM.....I haven't felt like playing it much lately, maybe I'll give it another whirl after I move into my new apartment later this week.

CaptainSolo1138
01-22-2008, 07:52 AM
I finally beat "Raining Blood" on hard. Once that first little mosh section is done the song is super easy and repetitive. Now I'm stuck on the battle with Lou. I guess it has to count for something that I usually only lose because the song ends. There are just SO many notes that its tough to deal with anything the Devil throws at you. Its also way harder on this battle to look at his fretboard to determine whether or not to deploy your wares upon him. I'll be able to finish it, it'll just take some time.

I'm cruising through expert now but I see a definite slowdown in the near future. I quit yesterday as I got to the setlist with "Knights of Cydonia" and "3's & 7's", two songs that got me even on hard. I've noticed thus far on expert that the split-finger three note chord is waaaaaaaaaay over used.

I also think it bears mentioning that RB and I almost came to blows the other night whilst playing co-op career over who the jackass was that failed "One" at around the 85% mark. I insisted that it was him, he insisted that it was me. In the end we skipped it and finished the career out. I've still got little red marks on my right index and middle fingers from the 6 hours or so of play.:D

Rocketboy
01-22-2008, 09:47 AM
I also think it bears mentioning that RB and I almost came to blows the other night whilst playing co-op career over who the jackass was that failed "One" at around the 85% mark. I insisted that it was him, he insisted that it was me. In the end we skipped it and finished the career out. I've still got little red marks on my right index and middle fingers from the 6 hours or so of play.:DI'm surprised you have feeling in your arm back.

And it was your fault.

CaptainSolo1138
01-22-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm surprised you have feeling in your arm back.
You ain't kidding. I was feeling it yesterday when I was duelin' Lou*.

And it was your fault.Freakin' liar. I know it was you.

*That'd be great slang for rubbin' one out.

Rocketboy
01-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Freakin' liar. I know it was you.Oh, eat my back you whining little peaches.

Slicker
01-22-2008, 01:35 PM
I've been DOMINATING GHIII lately. I've beaten the game on hard (except for One and Raining Blood) and I'm going through on expert right now and I'm not really having any troubles. Granted, I am only getting 3 stars but I'll go back later and try for 5 on each song.

figrin bran
01-22-2008, 10:55 PM
I've been DOMINATING GHIII lately. I've beaten the game on hard (except for One and Raining Blood)

By that line of thinking, I've beaten GH3 on hard as well (except for Lou). :p For expert, I'm having trouble with 3's and 7's and Before I Forget, mostly due to those blasted triple chords!

CaptainSolo1138
01-23-2008, 07:52 AM
For expert, I'm having trouble with 3's and 7's and Before I Forget, mostly due to those blasted triple chords!You should've never said that. That's where I'm at and now I don't even want to pick it back up. Meh.

figrin bran
02-04-2008, 12:56 AM
I finally got through "3's and 7's" on expert!!! Now if only I could 3 star Before I Forget. Cult of Personality is going to be a real bear though as I tried it on quickplay and it has some crazy sweep sections.

Slicker
02-04-2008, 02:17 AM
I haven't really played it lately because I'm kinda stuck on The Metal and another song. They aren't even tough but I don't know why the hell I can't beat 'em. I think it has to do with stupid note combinations.

CaptainSolo1138
02-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Cult of Personality is going to be a real bear though as I tried it on quickplay and it has some crazy sweep sections.
Its not that bad, really. Its very repetitive and you get alot of chances to learn the main riff. The solo is a problem, but if you save all of your star power you should be able to eek through it.

CaptainSolo1138
02-07-2008, 10:20 PM
So I ordered "Rockband" for the PS2 tonight and I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not I'll need a multi-tap? I'm assuming so, but I'm not gonna burn bank on one if I don't need it.

Slicker
02-08-2008, 01:57 AM
I finally beat Raining Blood on hard.

Now I'm up to Lou. And I've given up on ever beating Lou.

El Chuxter
02-08-2008, 02:01 AM
Have you beat "It's Raining Men" yet, Slick?

figrin bran
02-08-2008, 02:33 AM
I finally beat Raining Blood on hard.

Now I'm up to Lou. And I've given up on ever beating Lou.

I still hope to beat Lou on hard one day but I just skipped ahead to expert.

CaptainSolo1138
02-08-2008, 07:50 AM
I still hope to beat Lou on hard one day but I just skipped ahead to expert.
I did the same thing. Now I just need some time to play.:ermm:

Rocketboy
02-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Beating Lou on hard? Man, this thread got really perverted sounding really quick.

Slicker
02-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Well, at least it's not just me.

The part that sucks is that he gets the power-ups first and uses it when you finally get yours. The song is tough, don't get me wrong, but it's not unbeatable if he didn't get power-ups first.

CaptainSolo1138
02-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Rockband ftw!

Slicker
02-15-2008, 02:12 AM
Rockband ftw!It's still a good game but I've moved back to Guitar Hero to try and beat it on expert. For some stupid reason I'm stuck on "The Metal". I know that the song isn't tough but I just can't beat it.

Rockband is definitely better with 2-3 people. I still hate the guitar on it though.

CaptainSolo1138
02-18-2008, 07:47 AM
It's still a good game but I've moved back to Guitar Hero to try and beat it on expert. For some stupid reason I'm stuck on "The Metal". I know that the song isn't tough but I just can't beat it.That song is deceptively difficult. It has a lot of closely spaced notes that you really have to try and keep up with.

Rockband is definitely better with 2-3 people. I still hate the guitar on it though.Collete and I played it for a couple hours the other night and had a moderate amount of fun, but we've yet to pick it up again. We've been busy but it kind of let me down. The allure definitely seems to be in the multiplayer part of it, as I can't really see myself sitting down to these songs by myself for any period of time. The guitar is funky. I don't like the "softness" of the strum bar. I feel like I can't strum fast enough to hit all the notes. There's that one part in "Creep" by Radiohead on expert that you need to strum really fast and I felt like I was missing half of the notes.

figrin bran
02-18-2008, 11:38 AM
There's that one part in "Creep" by Radiohead on expert that you need to strum really fast and I felt like I was missing half of the notes.

That part gave me trouble as well. You get tricked into doing rapid Knights of Cydonia/Miserlou style strumming during that part but I tried strumming a bit slower and was able to get the score multipler up for a little bit.

CaptainSolo1138
02-18-2008, 12:18 PM
That part gave me trouble as well. You get tricked into doing rapid Knights of Cydonia/Miserlou style strumming during that part but I tried strumming a bit slower and was able to get the score multipler up for a little bit.
You nailed it, figs. It isn't nearly as fast as it looks.

Slicker
02-19-2008, 06:45 AM
I definitely hate the guitar. It seems that no matter what you have to strum every note unlike GH where you get alot that you don't need to strum for.

I also don't like how they don't post your scores for the songs. I'd love to go back and try to beat my scores or get 5 stars on all of the songs like on GH. I know this may sound obvious but that game is definitely not made for just on person to play and have hours of fun.

CaptainSolo1138
02-19-2008, 12:12 PM
I know this may sound obvious but that game is definitely not made for just on person to play and have hours of fun.
But you're still exactly right. I cannot see myself sitting down to play a solo tour rather than going back to GH.

I hate to keep complaining, but it also seems that Rockband takes itself too seriously. I liked how GH was so ridiculously over the top and offered weird guitars and weirder outfits (see: Izzy Sparks in GH3). Rockband doesn't offer any of that and even the look of the new fretboard and notes are so mild its ridiculous. Meh.

figrin bran
02-20-2008, 12:29 AM
I agree with you guys about Rockband. I've finished guitar career on hard and am 2 songs away from completing expert and you just don't get the same feeling of accomplishment that you do with GH2 and 3.

I play with the Explorer but I have tried out the Strat and I hate to say this when I own a real Strat guitar but the controller sucks. Like me, you guys are probably used to hearing the clicking noise when you strum.

I also wish that after completing songs, you can see where you messed up on, just like the GH games. Star power is another area where Rockband falls short of GH. What's with those patterns along the side of the fretboard when you activate star power or overdrive as they call it? They look more like tablecloth patterns if you ask me!

figrin bran
02-23-2008, 01:14 AM
Before I Forget has to be the dumbest song ever written as well as one of the worst overcharted songs in all of Guitar Hero. I made significant progress on expert but still failed that song at 94%. Once I do pass it, I'm going to vow never to play it again, not even to try to raise my score/get more stars.

Slicker
02-23-2008, 02:20 AM
Before I Forget has to be the dumbest song ever written as well as one of the worst overcharted songs in all of Guitar Hero. I made significant progress on expert but still failed that song at 94%. Once I do pass it, I'm going to vow never to play it again, not even to try to raise my score/get more stars.I hate that damn song on hard. It's just got stupid combos that make my hand hurt after a bit.

figrin bran
02-23-2008, 02:28 AM
I hate that damn song on hard. It's just got stupid combos that make my hand hurt after a bit.

Those stupid double chord combos turn into triples on expert! :twisted:

CaptainSolo1138
02-23-2008, 11:18 AM
I actually got a chance to play the songs in that set for the first time yesterday.

Screw. That. Crap.

"Before..." is ridiculous.

figrin bran
02-28-2008, 12:30 AM
My attempts at "Before" expert tonight

failed at 93%
failed at 97%
failed at 99%

at that point I was really drained so I took a short break, drank some water then I passed somehow without ever getting star power!!!!

Then I failed Cult of Personality at 74%. Sweep patterns are my weakness so this one will take quite some work.

Slicker
02-28-2008, 04:47 AM
I'm still stuck on The Metal. Granted I haven't played it in a bit though...

CaptainSolo1138
02-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Then I failed Cult of Personality at 74%. Sweep patterns are my weakness so this one will take quite some work.Save your star power for those sections. I've never had a hard time with the types of sweeps in "Cult...", but there's a section in the solo that's north of retarded as far as sweeps go and you should have just enough star power to get you through it.

JetsAndHeels
02-28-2008, 10:49 AM
The allure definitely seems to be in the multiplayer part of it, as I can't really see myself sitting down to these songs by myself for any period of time.

I bought Rock Band for the drums. I visited a friend of mine down at Myrtle Beach in January and he introduced me to it...I was hooked from that moment on.

When I bought the set, I was on the drums all the time...then I decided to use the guitar, and I enjoy that alot now as well. The microphone..well thats another story. I tried it, hated it, put it back in the box.

The multiplayer is fun, and I agree with you...alot of the appeal of Rock Band is so you can get a few people playing it at once, but at the same time I have enjoyed alot of hours playing it solo.

A friend of mine came over the other night to watch the justice league dvd and we decided afterwards to play the game in multi player. He took the guitar and I took the drums. That was fun...not for the neighbors, but for us lol

figrin bran
02-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Heels, are you playing on Xbox360 by any chance? I'm always looking for more people to play with on x.live.

JetsAndHeels
02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Heels, are you playing on Xbox360 by any chance? I'm always looking for more people to play with on x.live.

Yes, I play it on the 360.

I dont have xbox live at my place yet, I normally play at a friends house....he said he will get things started for me sometime soon though.

You have Halo 3? That is what I play online more than anything else.

InsaneJediGirl
03-19-2008, 12:08 AM
I bought Guitar Hero III last Friday and had it beat by 1:30 am Sunday morning-on easy mind you. I'm absoutely obessed with the game now, about the best I've gotten was a score of 109,000 with a streak of 220 on Knights of Cydonia, and a 99% on Hit Me With Your Best Shot.

I look forward to getting some more cash and getting another guitar for multiplayer mode and unlocking some more songs.

Has anyone made it through the song in the credits? I keep playing it in the Bonus section but I start getting tired halfway through.

TeeEye7
03-19-2008, 12:23 AM
IJG's post made me laugh because a lot of our "peace disturbance/loud music" calls these days are a result of a lot of late-night Guitar Hero contests.

A lot of our young deputies (the 20-somethings) see this as a non-issue as they are into Guitar Hero themselves. But, ya gotta make the public happy. When they complain, we make house calls.

I didn't say this out loud, but.......Party On!

figrin bran
03-19-2008, 02:08 AM
Has anyone made it through the song in the credits? I keep playing it in the Bonus section but I start getting tired halfway through.

Ahhh, yes, that's "Through the Fire and Flames" that you speak of. I've only passed it on easy and medium. I'm currently stuck on Cult of Personality expert and even if I get through the rest of the songs of expert, TTFAT is going to be too difficult for me.

Heels, unfortunately I don't have Halo 3.

CaptainSolo1138
03-19-2008, 07:46 AM
I can own "...Fire and the Flames" on hard, but I've tried it once on expert and got 3% completion.:D

Rocketboy
03-19-2008, 10:31 AM
I can own "...Fire and the Flames" on hard, but I've tried it once on expert and got 3% completion.:DWow, you up to 3% now...congrats! :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
03-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Wow, you up to 3% now...congrats! :thumbsup:
No, the only time I tried it was at your house. I got less than 3%?!lol

InsaneJediGirl
03-20-2008, 10:28 PM
IJG's post made me laugh because a lot of our "peace disturbance/loud music" calls these days are a result of a lot of late-night Guitar Hero contests.

A lot of our young deputies (the 20-somethings) see this as a non-issue as they are into Guitar Hero themselves. But, ya gotta make the public happy. When they complain, we make house calls.

I didn't say this out loud, but.......Party On!

Well,the game does state if the cops arent complaining you arent playing loud enough :) I guess people are taking it to heart :love:

I got through "Fire and Flames" on easy finally. I've been trying to move onto medium, and I've beaten "Slow Ride" and gotten 85% in "Rock and Roll All Nite" but havent beaten it yet. My question is, how to get past the tricky blue button. I've got my index finger on green, the middle on red, ring finger on yellow and the pinky on blue, but it doesnt seem to want to obey.Any tips?

CaptainSolo1138
03-21-2008, 12:23 AM
I've got my index finger on green, the middle on red, ring finger on yellow and the pinky on blue, but it doesnt seem to want to obey.Any tips?
I don't even bother with the pinky. I just use three fingers for all five buttons and slide my hand up and down as needed.

figrin bran
03-21-2008, 12:35 AM
I have an unfair advantage in that I've played guitar for years and so using the pinky wasn't a problem.

I do suggest this - play on easy mode but with middle on green, ring finger on red and pinky on blue. Hopefully you'll see improvement with your pinky with practice.

InsaneJediGirl
04-01-2008, 08:44 PM
I'll be sure to try both suggestions, whenever I can find time again.

General_Grievous
04-06-2008, 05:13 PM
So after five months, I finally beat "Before I Forget" on hard....and immediately got my hide handed to me afterward while playing "Knights of Cydonia". :dead:

But I have been going back to Guitar Hero II as well, and surprisingly, I've been breezing through a good chunk of the Expert solo tour, getting at least three stars on most of the songs without much effort.

I love Guitar Hero. The more you play it, the better you get.

Slicker
04-06-2008, 10:27 PM
I finally got Through the Fire and Flames on hard the other day. I'm still stuck on "The Metal" on expert but I've literally just stopped playing it.

I can be Knights on both hard and expert but I've found that expert seems to be a bit easier since it has more notes thus if you mess up you have more of a chance to fight back. Give it a whirl.

figrin bran
04-07-2008, 01:25 AM
I love Guitar Hero. The more you play it, the better you get.

I wish that were so! I've been playing at least 3-4 times per week and am not seeing that much improvement. It's going to be quite some time before I'll be able to pass Cult of Personality on expert as well as the rest of the 7th tier songs on GH2 (Psychobilly Freakout).

scruffziller
09-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Mostly I'm just practicing Knights of Cydonia over and over again.

I heard that, I can't complete it on medium.

figrin bran
09-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Hmmm...many months later and I still haven't gotten through CoP on expert.

Slicker
09-20-2008, 11:29 AM
I beat "The Metal" a while back but now I think that I'm stuck on "Before I Forget" on expert. Of late I've been playing the Aerosmith version. It's pathetically easy...

Rocketboy
09-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Of late I've been playing the Aerosmith version. It's pathetically easy...Then they probably should have called it Guitar Hero: Slicker's Mom.

CaptainSolo1138
09-20-2008, 10:31 PM
then They Probably Should Have Called It Guitar Hero: Slicker's Mom.
Ba-ziiiing!

The last time I picked up a GH controller was at Rocketboy's about a month ago. This is me inviting myself over.

Rocketboy
09-20-2008, 10:38 PM
The last time I picked up a GH controller was at Rocketboy's about a month ago. This is me inviting myself over.I know you have 'em all (minus GH:Aero) but Target has FINALLY reduced the older PS2 GH games down to $19.99!

80's Edition here I come!

CaptainSolo1138
09-21-2008, 12:58 PM
80's Edition here I come!
I'm bitter that I paid $50 for it considering the number of tracks, but you can't go wrong for that price.

Slicker
09-28-2008, 05:32 AM
Then they probably should have called it Guitar Hero: Slicker's Mom.burrrrrrnnn he got u gud bich!11!!!

figrin bran
10-28-2008, 02:47 AM
Am I the only one who has GH World Tour thus far? (If you ask me, I like Rock Band 2 better).

Please do think twice about getting the World Tour bundle! I've read horror stories about the new guitars and drum sets already and when I tried both at my local Best Buy yesterday, they felt rather cheap - esp. the drums.

The game play for guitar is very deceptive as it was very, very easy at first on expert and then within a few sets, got very difficult. I failed Beat It during the solo, I failed The Middle even though it's not that tough on RB2. On a side note, I don't really like that a lot of RB2 songs are duplicated here - The Middle as I just mentioned, American Woman, Eye of the Tiger, Livin on a Prayer, Today, Go Your Own Way, Everlong, Ramblin' Man, One Way or Another.

Slicker
10-28-2008, 09:45 AM
I've been playin' the hell out of RB2 lately. I still haven't played GH World Tour yet though. The new RB is a lot easier than the first. It's still tough but the songs are easier to play because it's not as mushy. You can actually hit notes that are close together whereas on the first one you had no chance in hell.

preacher
10-28-2008, 06:19 PM
I bought the set on Sunday at Costco. If it gives me trouble I can return it for a full refund. so far no worries. I'm just glad there is finally downloadable content for the Wii. And the graphics aren't half bad either. I'm trying my hand with the drums on Easy. Dinosaur Jr. song tripped me up.

Two issues I have are : Willie nelson is on the game, and the drum set while robust has a poor center of gravity. It wobbles quite a bit. They needed to make the feet heavier.

figrin bran
10-28-2008, 10:54 PM
I bought the set on Sunday at Costco. If it gives me trouble I can return it for a full refund. so far no worries. I'm just glad there is finally downloadable content for the Wii. And the graphics aren't half bad either. I'm trying my hand with the drums on Easy. Dinosaur Jr. song tripped me up.

Two issues I have are : Willie nelson is on the game, and the drum set while robust has a poor center of gravity. It wobbles quite a bit. They needed to make the feet heavier.

Well, I'd rather have Willie Nelson than Korn. Unfortunately, both made the cut.

Slicker
11-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Has anyone played Guitar Hero: World Tour yet? There's a level on there where you're playing on an aircraft carrier and it just so happens to be CVN-73 (my boat if you didn't guess that already). I just wish they would've gotten my likeness to put in the game. :upset:

Rocketboy
11-15-2008, 07:29 PM
I just wish they would've gotten my likeness to put in the game. :upset:Well, if you hadn't asked for much money...

Slicker
11-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Well, if you hadn't asked for much money...What'd you expect me to do? It's America and the American dream is to get rich quick off of someone else's time and effort.

TeeEye7
11-16-2008, 05:51 PM
I thought the problem was that they didn't know which of Slick's likenesses to make: civilian or military. :confused:

Rocketboy
11-16-2008, 07:53 PM
I thought the problem was that they didn't know which of Slick's likenesses to make: civilian or military. :confused:He was lobbying for his internet porn star look.

Slicker
11-17-2008, 08:24 AM
I would've gladly given the internet porn star likeness for free but they didn't think it was proper for small children to see a weiner as the neck of a guitar.

Rocketboy
11-17-2008, 12:07 PM
They would have had to design a whole new guitar (because of your need to compensate) on top of creating your likeness, which itself would have been a massive undertaking because apparently its had to program something that small.

El Chuxter
01-09-2009, 02:28 AM
Two issues I have are : Willie nelson is on the game

Dude, Willie Nelson is one of the greatest songwriters of all time in any genre, and a freaking amazing guitarist. "On the Road Again" isn't exactly his best guitar-wise, but I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Tom Morello and Kirk Hammett pray to him every night before bed. Check out "Still Is Still Moving to Me" if you get a chance.

I have to admit, though I'm not on the "this is the bestest game ever!" bandwagon, once I actually learned to play it and it wasn't my brothers-in-law saying, "It's self explanatory," this game is rather fun.

Be honest: how many of you had no idea that Jeff "Skunk" Baxter from Steely Dan and Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac were (with the possible exception of Ted Nugent, and assuming you've not downloaded any Raconteurs tracks) the two baddest axemen in the game? I hope this game convinces a new generation that those bands aren't the wuss-rock most people are led to believe they are.