PDA

View Full Version : The Arena Playset!

Tycho
02-10-2002, 07:45 PM
WOW! It is so much about time they gave us a great playset! I'm buying 2 of these!

Lord Tenebrous
02-10-2002, 07:56 PM
I want to start my own Acklay fight club! :D

If two will fit, that is.

PloKoon2385
02-10-2002, 08:41 PM
What is that pink blob underneath the Acklay? Is it Acklay poop? Digested Jedi?:confused:

Lord Tenebrous
02-10-2002, 08:46 PM
Free-form battle damage. :rolleyes:

It would have been nice if they had peppered it with unlucky Geonosian animal trainer. :p

GNT
02-11-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by PloKoon2385
What is that pink blob underneath the Acklay? Is it Acklay poop? Digested Jedi?:confused:

Its the Acklays guts or insides according to the offical website :)

PloKoon2385
02-11-2002, 12:21 AM
I do have a few complaints about the playset I must admit. The geonosian crowd people are a bit small and the cardboard wall is lame, but it still looks nice. I will probably be getting it still, as long as it's not TOO expensive. I still think it is pretty cool.

PloKoon2385
02-11-2002, 12:22 AM
Oh that's what it is! Eeew. Parents aren't gonna like that. But they won't like belly Padme either. Hmm....

LTBasker
02-11-2002, 03:22 AM
Hmmm... Maybe it would look better if it came with a mat from the movie you could hang up behind it and you got a bunch of super battle droids and scatter their parts all around? It looks like a pretty cheaply done playset, like those that would be made for the Batman lines and such, but it's really the only way to distract from the fact the figures HAVE to re-inact the scene there.

Tycho
02-11-2002, 04:45 AM
True Basker - but I am going to have FUN setting this one up!

I've outgrown my apartment as far as room for more scenes are concerned!

So I have what I call my "test case" - it's a 6 foot fixture in my kitchen / dining area that I set up an unfinished scene in. (My kitchen used to be home to my Star Trek collection, but that's all packed up now as Star Wars has taken over).

Currently my Test Case is my Battle of Naboo - The Gungan Front.

I set up the final battle in order to see how many droids I'd use, how many tanks, STAPs, Faambas, Kaadu's, and collumns of Gungan Warriors I'd use.

Once I set the test up, I just can't bear to take it down though. My closets are even full of "Test Scenes" I put up primarily for spacing, and should have taken down afterwards. Instead, I HAVE to leave them up.

With all the beasts and creatures, plus those awesome Geonosian figures (yeah - there's two if you didn't notice - Winged and not-winged with the Lizard-Dog on the leash) - well it'll look SWEET!

I will miss seeing my AAT Tank out on display. I think that was my favorite Episode One vehicle (it's close with the Royal Starship) but it'll have to get packaged up.

Incidently, I did my Gungan Battle with 15 Droids in rows of 5 (mixed battle damage from the first 4 paint schemes), one AAT, one STAP, one Faamba, one Falumpaset with Ammo Wagon, 3 Kaadus, and one catapult plus 10 Gungan Warriors not counting JarJar and Tarpals. The STAP has its own droid, and the Tank has OOM-9 in it. While the display would be simple to complete with a background of hill scenery and a model train grass textured floor board, I will hold off until I have a house with a large enough room for all the "green stuff" - like the Battle of Endor - which I will not take down so long until the day I have to move!

Meanwhile, for Episode 2, large scenes I want to do are:

The Arena Battle (twice - before and after the Clone Army gets there).

Kamino - don't know how big (or small) I will set this up, but I envision something the dimensions of the Royal Starship's box for height and length, though the depth might be proportionate to the height. But I always wanted to do water. Looks like I still have to wait to get a house before I can attempt it (with dyed model railroad "fake water" - not the real stuff! (I planned Otah Gunga the same way - but haven't had room to do that - but the aquarium accessories for that one should make it a lot of fun.

Finally: Coruscant. I want to do a city block collage scene that includes the Speeder Chase with the cars suspended, then crashed, in sort of a left-right sequence. On one side, in a building, I'll have the Night Club, and on the other side, down lower, I'll have Dexter's Diner.

To make a city-scape background blend with the buildings I'll have to make is always something I wanted to do since I first decided I'll one day make a Coruscant scene for Shadows of the Empire. I like the challenge of figuring out how to build stuff, but in the Arena's scene, I'll also appreciate a good Hasbro playset I can admire for its size alone.

Incidently, I hope its quality materials they used. The Theed Hanger Playsets I have fond feelings for because I put two together (twice) to make each of the two hanger battle scenes - the Escape, and the Final Battle. They look good when you set them up and put them behind glass so you are not moving your figures, but when you touch them....those are the most flimsy, pathetic playsets....

The 1978 Kenner Death Star Playset is still the king of all playsets and in the top 3 of my all time favorite Star Wars toys. The Arena Playset will NOT top it, for durability, features, depth, effort into making a fully compact and connected playset, but I hope the Arena is a step in the right direction.

Wolfwood319
02-11-2002, 09:41 AM
I just saw a bigger pic of the arena, and I'm less impressed now. Its still cool that its nice and big and all, but I didn't realize those small grooved areas were molded fans at the arena. I don't like that. Other than that though, its nice.

Of the figures we've seen, who actually fights in the arena in the movie?

JEDIpartner
02-11-2002, 10:56 AM
The first image I saw of this caused me to think "Holy Sheet!!! This is amazing!!!" Subsequent pics had me wondering why most of this thing was done on the cheap. Cardboard wall? The ickle bitty Geonosians sealed the coffin for me.

Oh, well.

speedermike
02-11-2002, 03:55 PM
I like all those little out-of-scale Geonosians on the playset! In fact, they are my favorite part. I like them because they insist that one uses their imagination. This thing feels like a real toy, and it's got a great sense of whimsy to it.

However, I'm dying to see the reverse side of it.

JetsAndHeels
02-11-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
I want to start my own Acklay fight club! :D
The first rule of Acklay fight club is do not talk about Acklay fight club.

Tycho
02-11-2002, 11:07 PM
LOL Jango Fett!

Now on to business:

JediPartnr: It looks like there's one cardboard wall piece to expand the arena, but the parts the figures are standing on is molded plastic. That's nice to me.

Speedermike, Wolfwood, and JediPartnr:

The arena audience...hmmmm.

If it were up to me, I would probably be buying like 20+ Geonosian action figures (10 of each type I suppose), so by doing this, Hasbro lost $140.00 + I'd spend on those figures alone to make an audience. I did purchasing quite similar for a pod race arena audience for my E1 scene I eventually will build.

But as to it being "whimsy" and kind of mmmm Kid-like, there's marginal appeal there where I could see that - but only slightly.
Maybe the audience looks like that because they are behind some kind of shielding that prevents the beasts from attacking and eating THEM? Hard to tell from the trailers, but in "Mystery" you get the best view, and it doesn't look like it.

Meanwhile, though the Geonosian is a way-cool figure and nicely done, the cool thing about the Pod Race is that I could buy 20 Different aliens for my audience, plus Qui-Gon, Shmi, Padme, and JarJar. For the arena, I have to get like 10 or 20 of the same figure. Well, at least it would be a good figure. But alas, with the built-in audience, I dont have to worry about that, do I?

As to the question of what figures go in here - reminding you that this is a spoiler-allowing forum by policy - ALL the figures.

Any and ALL Jedi, any Fett, all the Geonosians and any beast assortment creatures (that we've seen so far) all the battle droids, clone trooper types. This is one HUGE onslaught!

The diorama Hasbro made is straight from the movie scene. However, in the movie, the character count would be 100 times this - no kidding whatsoever! Episode Two is going to ROCK!

Beast
02-11-2002, 11:27 PM
Hey Tycho, I like your ideas for the arena battle diorama. I'll be building one myself, first actual full fledge action diorama I have ever put together. I had one question though, and maybe you have heard somthing I haven't. Looking at the Jar Jar Binks figure for Episode 2, he appears to be in a battle pose unlike the neutral poses given Chancellor Palpatine and Orn Fre Taa.

Also comparing the outfit of the figure to the trailer and photos, it's obvious that he's not in the same senatorial outfit as we have seen in trailers. Infact going by the pose and the weapon seems that he would fit in perfectly in the arena battle, have you heard anything about the possibility that JJB leads one of the squads of clonetroopers into battle? That would be quite cool, and might help redeem the charecter in the eyes of the fans.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
02-12-2002, 12:36 AM
Sorry. I haven't heard anything about JarJar going into battle in E2.

So far as I know, he is in very minimal amounts of scenes in Episode 2 and you see him a whole lot less. MAYBE he carries Senate authority with the Jedi's to Kamino, to usurp the Clones to take them to fight on Geonosis??? Then he whacks a battle droid at the most. [this is all supposition - but Binks has had practice whacking battle droids from back to the Battle of Naboo.]

Honestly, I don't hate JarJar, but I don't care if he redeems himself in THIS movie or not. I believe he plays to 2 purposes:

1) He is the fool character from mythology and he does things wrong like accept Palpatine as Emperor and such (afterall, Palpatine is from Naboo - and no one would say JarJar speaks to be EVIL, so....

2) He acted like such a clutz to annoy people enough to make fun of him, hate him, etc, only to end up being the one who might save Padme, or baby Luke and Leia and make the whole second trilogy possible. In light of that, Lucas wants those of us who were rude to him to say "it was wrong to treat a geek that bad - or to pick on someone who is different, or mal-adjusted." We should have been more noble, like a Jedi - like Qui-Gon. We were of the Dark Side in the audience. Mythology carries lessons in it, and characters serve purposes. JarJar also served the one that markets something cute or childish to kids, but we might have hated the geek we saw in him, because it reminds us of what people who collect Star Wars toys well into their 20's might be thought of as being like, by people who don't know them or see their inner value as a person. JarJar has a lot of inner value I don't expect us to see really until Episode 3.

But I could be wrong. He might personally attend this one because he is loyal to his friends, especially Padme - who's plan saved his people (while the Gungans did likewise for the Naboo).

Beast
02-12-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
Honestly, I don't hate JarJar, but I don't care if he redeems himself in THIS movie or not. I believe he plays to 2 purposes:
2) He acted like such a clutz to annoy people enough to make fun of him, hate him, etc, only to end up being the one who might save Padme, or baby Luke and Leia and make the whole second trilogy possible. In light of that, Lucas wants those of us who were rude to him to say "it was wrong to treat a geek that bad - or to pick on someone who is different, or mal-adjusted." We should have been more noble, like a Jedi - like Qui-Gon. We were of the Dark Side in the audience. Mythology carries lessons in it, and characters serve purposes. JarJar also served the one that markets something cute or childish to kids, but we might have hated the geek we saw in him, because it reminds us of what people who collect Star Wars toys well into their 20's might be thought of as being like, by people who don't know them or see their inner value as a person. JarJar has a lot of inner value I don't expect us to see really until Episode 3.

Very very well said Tycho, I have seen this all playing out from the beginning, knowing Lucas' love of mythology and his enjoyment of teaching lessons to the fans in morality tales. It's nice to see someone else that is so well thought out in the case of JJB. Infact just like our other conversations we appear to be on the story, totally N'Sych (hehehe small pun).

Thats the exact reasons I took the name, and championed the cause for the charecter to get some respect. It's pretty funny when you can have silly/goofy/geeky charecters appear in mythology and for instance in Lord of the Rings. And they garner a fan base, because people have seen the full story play out already. They need to wait for the story to play out for Jar Jar Binks as well. Remember, most of us disliked Luke in ANH also for being whiny, and he redeemed himself.

I've constantly told people since day one of Episode 1 opening to wait on the Jar Jar bashing til the tale concludes itself. I hope things do work out as I and you have foreseen, so that people will regret the immediate hate label they slapped on him cause he was different. There's a definate lesson in there for some people. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
02-12-2002, 01:09 AM
Ugh. If JarJar eventually "redeems" himself --- Then I'll really hate him. Talk about pat. Annoying is as annoying does. And everything about this character is irritating. The lame creature design. Insipid dialogue. Hideoud acting. I doubt Lucas is dumb enough to have Jarjar save the day. He'd never live it down . . .

Beast
02-12-2002, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by mark2d2
Ugh. If JarJar eventually "redeems" himself --- Then I'll really hate him. Talk about pat. Annoying is as annoying does. And everything about this character is irritating. The lame creature design. Insipid dialogue. Hideoud acting. I doubt Lucas is dumb enough to have Jarjar save the day. He'd never live it down . . .

Lucas is using basic mythological structure for Jar Jar's development. If you look into one of Lucas' favorite obsessions Joseph Campbell, and his writings you see many parrarels. Here is a thesis based on those these, comparing the two. Just remember this, recall how lucky Jar Jar was in Episode 1. And the fact that Obi-Wan said, he doesn't believe in luck. This thesis was taken from here (http://www.space.com/sciencefiction/movies/jar_jar_holy_fool_000414.html) :D

Jar Jar, Hidden Jedi? By Chris Aylott

There’s a Jedi lurking in the margins of the Star Wars saga, and he’s not Samuel L. Jackson.

The Force is strong in The Phantom Menace’s most innocent figure -- and if the conventions of mythic storytelling that we know George Lucas follows hold true, the last hope of the Jedi Knights may rest on the CGI shoulders of the much-maligned Jar Jar Binks.

"Wesa in trouble now"

To put it mildly, Binks doesn’t have a good reputation among Star Wars fandom. He lacks everything fans love about the Jedi – their speed and dexterity, their self-control, and their great homespun fashion sense.

Jar Jar overreacts to everything, constantly makes mistakes, never has a plan and has atrocious table manners. He resembles nothing so much as an overgrown child. A fool, in the folkloric sense.

Most fans think of him as nothing more than bad comic relief, and George Lucas’s non-defense of the Gungan as just another element of a kid-oriented movie doesn’t help.

Lucas may simply be playing his cards close to his vest, however. The filmmaker has been studiously close-mouthed about nearly every aspect of the prequel trilogy, and even in The Phantom Menace there’s evidence that Jar Jar is more than he appears to be.

"Just relax, the Force will guide us"

Binks may be clumsy, but he’s also amazingly lucky – something the sage Qui-Gon Jinn seems to recognize early on.

When we first meet him, Jar Jar is enjoying a perfectly ordinary breakfast, which just happens to be in the path of a horde of Trade Federation war machines – and, the one man who can save Jar Jar from them.

It's not just that Binks is in the right place at the right time. The happy-go-lucky Gungan takes action, grabbing Qui-Gon and setting into motion a sequence of events that will inevitably lead to him accompanying the Jedi on his adventures.

Before long, Qui-Gon has "clumsy" Jar Jar navigating a Gungan submarine, telling him, "Just relax, the Force will guide us." It does, at least until Jar Jar faints upon encountering the sea monsters – and even when he is unconscious, bigger fish just happen to come along to consume the ones attacking his vessel.

"Why mesa always the one?"

Jar Jar’s fear seems to be the weakness complicating his relationship with the Force. Anakin spots it immediately, telling him that the reason Sebulba and others pick on him is because he is always afraid.

Binks continues to be afraid throughout The Phantom Menace, but by the climactic final battle, it no longer paralyzes him. It’s in this battle that – seemingly despite his failings – he begins to shine.

As we all know, he gets his feet caught on a broken battle droid, and destroys half a dozen more trying to shake it off. Trying to clamber on the back of a wagon of energy balls, he destroys even more droids by clumsily upsetting the boomball cart.

Jar Jar Binks takes out droids as fast as Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan do, and he’s not even trying. Maybe that's his secret. The message is clear and consistent. When Jar Jar Binks takes action – even if it is only to run away – good things happen to him. Is he just lucky? Or is he unconsciously using the Force?

Is there a difference?

The hero with a thousand faces and two buggy eyes

If mythic structure can be trusted, Jar Jar is more than just the luckiest Gungan in the universe. He’s following the path of one of George Lucas’s favorite obsessions: Joseph Campbell’s "Hero’s Journey".

Whether we take the famous literary critic turned mythic guru at face value or not, we know Lucas is a longtime fan, and so Campbell's interpretation of folklore patterns probably has quite a bit of relevance to the Star Wars saga.

Campbell suggested that most of the important heroes in myth and literature undergo a common sequence of experiences and changes. So far, Jar Jar’s adventures fit that sequence perfectly.

We’re introduced to Jar Jar in his Ordinary World of swimming and sucking clams. He hears the Call to Adventure in Qui-Gon’s request for guidance to the Gungan city, and at first Refuses the Call.

Qui-Gon becomes a Mentor leading him into adventure, however, and he soon Crosses the First Threshold, reluctantly entering a new world through the undersea journey to the Naboo capital. Just like Luke Skywalker destroying the Death Star, he Passes Tests in the climactic battle against the Trade Federation, becoming a hero to his people.

In many ways, Jar Jar Binks is the Luke of Episode I: he’s the annoying bumpkin, the farmboy who makes good. Anakin, the most obvious candidate for that role, turns out to be something else.

Bring on that Grail

No other character in The Phantom Menace follows the Campbellian pattern as clearly as Jar Jar. Obi-wan and Anakin come close, but Obi-wan is already well-advanced down his own path, and Anakin’s precocious eagerness to launch himself into adventure hints that he will follow a more twisted path to villainy.

Of course, Jar Jar has only taken a few steps in his journey – look for him to encounter innermost caves, supreme ordeals and other Campbellian challenges in the next two movies. Episode III may even end with his Return with the Elixir – perhaps spiriting the infant Luke and Leia away from their father so they can grow up in safety?

If this comes to pass, Jar Jar’s ridiculous mannerisms may eventually serve to hide a powerful Force-sensitive character in plain sight. George Lucas may have pulled the wool over the eyes of an audience of millions.

Jar Jar Binks may never wear a Jedi cape, of course, and his detractors can rest assured he's unlikely to become the star of the Star Wars saga. But his comic role in The Phantom Menace might just be the surface of the lake – and there's always a bigger mythic fish lurking at Lucas' swimming hole.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
02-12-2002, 02:11 AM
Pretty interesting JarJar. Just don't hold your breath.

People have already made up their mind about what they want to believe, and they will go on believing this until 2005 most likely.

Even then, they will criticize Lucas or deny JarJar the right to take the Classical Journey on the basis that they will prove themselves right, or not admit fault, if they criticize the ending to Episode 3 and try to sound intelligent suggesting alternative endings.

Another generation afterwards, will appreciate JarJar more, and they may view the six movies in order as well, thus developing a far different attitude towards each individual movie than we Old School fans have thus far.

Beast
02-12-2002, 02:31 AM
Pretty interesting JarJar. Just don't hold your breath.
People have already made up their mind about what they want to believe, and they will go on believing this until 2005 most likely.
Even then, they will criticize Lucas or deny JarJar the right to take the Classical Journey on the basis that they will prove themselves right, or not admit fault, if they criticize the ending to Episode 3 and try to sound intelligent suggesting alternative endings.
Another generation afterwards, will appreciate JarJar more, and they may view the six movies in order as well, thus developing a far different attitude towards each individual movie than we Old School fans have thus far.

Agreed Tycho, nice to see that you saw some of the same things I have in the Star Wars universe's most disliked charecter. I think that the 13th apostle (Chris Rock's) charecter from Dogma said it best. "I think it's better to have ideas, you can change an idea, changing a belief is harder." Right now the majority of the Star Wars universe believe that Jar Jar wont amount to anything. Even if Lucas makes it so, people will criticize him for being "stupid, senile, insane, etc." all over their belief of who JJB is.

2005 will truely be intresting if things fall into place as they are appearing to be. Lucas and Jar Jar seem to have become the red headed stepchilds to the Star Wars fanbase. Both of them have taken massive amounts of flack in the last couple years. Lucas may be playing out some grande scheme of misconception, in having the unlikely JJB end up the one that is responsible for tying the trilogies together. Even if in the end, noone but him and a few fans that can look beyond perceptions can appreciate it.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
02-12-2002, 02:34 AM
Well, whatever. I still don't buy it.

Lucas has gone back to the classical myths one too many time already, I fear. It's getting boring. Anyway, I doubt that Lucas has secret designs on this idea of yours anyway. JarJar was really intended as nothing more than (comic?) relief -- which he failed at miserably. He was just FLAT OUT unfunny. Annoyingly so. "Meesa no poodoo!!!" In fact, JarJar is George's alterego in that JarJar is the pile of Poodoo that George stepped in and was then unable to get off his foot for the rest of the film. He was hopelessly unrealistic. A frog in the desert? Right, he'd have really lasted out there. And I never bought the reason for bringing him along in the first place. It was just all so contrived! Stupid! And it kept pulling me out of the film.

Also -- where is this footage of JarJar bravely guiding them through the planet core? All I saw is him screaming and flailing about. It' Quigon who tells Obiwan where to go! JarJar was utterly useless from the get go. And the fish eating fish thing was cheesy enough the first time--but we had to suffer through it twice!!! And they weren't even cool fish. They looked fake. Arrrrrrgh --- this movie gets worse and worse the more I think back on it . . .

But -- back to JarJar -- he was a nothing more than a damn cheap plot device. Amidala needed an army. And there he was. Convenient. Too convenient for my tastes. He was just a disservice to the saga and cheapened it in a way I cannot forgive.

PS -- I also was never wild about the Jedi fashion sense. I thought Obiwan wore those crummy robes because he was lying low out in the desert. Not that it was all the rage back in the day. I dunno, if I was going into hiding I think I'd change me look or something. Maybe it's just me.

Beast
02-12-2002, 02:54 AM
Well, whatever. I still don't buy it.
Lucas has gone back to the classical myths one too many time already, I fear. It's getting boring. Anyway, I doubt that Lucas has secret designs on this idea of yours anyway. JarJar was really intended as nothing more than (comic?) relief -- which he failed at miserably. He was just FLAT OUT unfunny. Annoyingly so. "Meesa no poodoo!!!" In fact, JarJar is George's alterego in that JarJar is the pile of Poodoo that George stepped in and was then unable to get off his foot for the rest of the film. He was hopelessly unrealistic. A frog in the desert? Right, he'd have really lasted out there. And I never bought the reason for bringing him along in the first place. It was just all so contrived! Stupid! And it kept pulling me out of the film. But -- back to JarJar -- he was a nothing more than a damn cheap plot device. Amidala needed an army. And there he was. Convenient. Too convenient for my tastes. He was just a disservice to the saga and cheapened it in a way I cannot forgive.

Umm, thats the point. These films are a modern myth. They are an updated take on the tales that were used long ago to teach morals to people. They are as Lucas has stated time and again modern morality plays. Lucas has always stated that, from the very beginning. One of those morals is to not judge a book by its cover. Jar Jar is much more then comic relief, without him in episode 1, the Jedi's would no doubt have failed in their mission.

And, what's so unrealistic about a frog (even though species wise they are not 100% similar) being in the desert. I assume you must never have heard of desert frogs. http://allaboutfrogs.org/weird/strange/catholic.html Besides, Jar Jar was never out much in direct sunlight, and I am quite sure if they would have been stranded longer he would have had some major troubles. If you wanna argue the point of cheap plot devices and conveniant plot elements, please take a look at the OT movies and tell me there isn't worse offenders. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
02-12-2002, 04:36 AM
For more information about Jar Jar Binks and his place in the grand scheme of things, please refer to the following thread located in the Episode III (Spoilers) section. Warning, there is a mention of some spoilers for Episode II, but since you're reading an Episode III spoiler, then you shouldn't mind. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3693

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
02-12-2002, 05:08 AM
We will have to just agree to disagree on this JarJar issue.

And frankly, no. Nothing in the OT was even remotely nearly as cheap or contrived as JarJar and the gungun army. (Not even the ewoks.) I'm sure plenty of people will back me on this point. Everything about JarJar was annoyingly repetitious, the lame poop jokes, his unfunny clumsiness --- even his stupid name. JarringJarring would have been more apropo. Or perhaps GratingGrating.

And yes -- I'm well aware that the films are modern day myths, but I think that Lucas has gone a wee bit overboard with this. It's getting cheesy. Some originality should sneak in at some point. He's getting so derivative. Even the new Beasts are like Jurrasic Park Meets Alien. Sad. Just Sad.

You're just desperate for Jar Jar to be redeemed. What I'm saying is that none of the OT characters ever needed this. It's like Wow -- they were always kinda interesting to begin with. And I'm glad. Sorry, once I dislike someone -- and frankly it takes a heck of a lot for me not to like someone -- I am not easily swayed. Sorry, I will not suffer fools gladly.

And as far as the idea that the message of never judge a fool by it's cover -- well that's a horriblely naive and utterly vapid message to put out there. Some people are just flat out dumb. A Decade in the Entertainment Industry have driven this point home.

Beast
02-12-2002, 05:37 AM
And frankly, no. Nothing in the OT was even remotely nearly as cheap or contrived as JarJar and the gungun army. (Not even the ewoks.) I'm sure plenty of people will back me on this point. Everything about JarJar was annoyingly repetitious, the lame poop jokes, his unfunny clumsiness --- even his stupid name. JarringJarring would have been more apropo. Or perhaps GratingGrating.
You're just desperate for Jar Jar to be redeemed. What I'm saying is that none of the OT characters ever needed this. It's like Wow -- they were always kinda interesting to begin with. And I'm glad. Sorry, once I dislike someone -- and frankly it takes a heck of a lot for me not to like someone -- I am not easily swayed. Sorry, I will not suffer fools gladly.
And as far as the idea that the message of never judge a fool by it's cover -- well that's a horriblely naive and utterly vapid message to put out there. Some people are just flat out dumb. A Decade in the Entertainment Industry have driven this point home.

Cheap and Contrived - Well, we must differ on opions of what that means. Since lets look at ANH. The droids crash on Tatooine, and are amazingly delivered to Luke Skywalker, who later turns out to be the son of Darth Vader. Luke's Uncle and Aunt are killed, allowing him to go on this great journey. Without Beru and Owen's death, Luke would be a farmer, or probably in the imperial navy. The person that is contrivadly really not needed in the story, ends up being the son of a powerful jedi, and later with the force destroys the Death Star. Ill possibly add more from the other movies later, but Im tired.

Alot of the OT charecters needed redeemed, Han Solo the scoundral was going to abandon the rebels in their darkest moment to get out of their rich. Instead he comes back and saves Luke, redeeming his scooundral charecter. What About Lando Calrissian...he doublecrosses the rebels, gets Han frozen in Carbonite for Jabba the Hutt and pretty much thru his actions almost gets Luke captured or killed by Vader. He redeemed himself by helping Leia, Chewie, R2, and 3PO escape, as well as saving Han from Jabba. And the greatest redemtion of all, Anakin's redemption of his actions. He redeemed all the evil things he did as Darth Vader with the single act of sacrificing his own life to save Luke and destroy Palpatine.

And the message isn't "never judge a fool by it's cover" its that no matter who you are, and how different you are from the group, your still an important person. I don't see it as horribly naive and utterly vapid as you stated, it's a moral lesson for todays times. To many people now adays judge people by their skin color, the way they talk, or their beliefs. Lucas is trying to say, that maybe thats the wrong thing to be thinking. But apperantly people would prefer to hate one another then try to live in harmony. Alot of people are just way to jaded. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
02-12-2002, 05:44 AM
ANH:
"Pull out Wedge you can't do much good back there!"
"Sorry!"
[Wedge pulls out of the trench and nobody cares about him for the rest of the movie]

Then the next thing we know Wedge is the 2nd key attacker of the Death Star 2 in ROTJ.

Jayspawn
02-12-2002, 12:46 PM
I'll definatly get one as long as Hasbro doesn't charge me a kidney and a finger. It looks cool. I wonder if it'll come with some sort of droid pack-in.

JetsAndHeels
02-12-2002, 01:10 PM
Let me tell you something, JarJarBinks.
I honestly did not really like or hate JJB in the movie at first. I laughed at him (a little) when I saw EP1 for the first time, and then after that I looked at him as just another character.
However, now that I have read your thoughts about him, and gone back to view EP1 a few times since, I see where you are coming from. JJB is an important character in the saga.
I will admit it-I like JJB.
He is a well-rounded character because he is different, yet he contributes to the cause in EP1. To me his biggest accomplishment was helping assemble the army to aid the Queen.
He also allowed the Gungans and the Naboo to be friends again and live together in harmony, rather than just ignoring each other.
JJB is a key character to this saga. And to those of you who judge him, I wouldn't count him out just yet. He is going to be a senator in AOTC and may not be around as much, but I see him going on to EPIII and doing something that will be very essential to the story.
Thank you JarJarBinks for helping me to see this.

hairless chewie
02-12-2002, 01:45 PM
Hey, Jar Jar, you won't sue me if I use you as a source for term paper, will you???? Deep bro, and I can see where you are coming from, things will come full circle. Heck, George is probably going to use some of your Ideas for EP 3:cool: .....by the way, I like the Playset

Tycho
02-12-2002, 02:08 PM
Whoa - I went to sleep and now I have a lot of catching up to do in this discussion...

First, this IS a thread about the Arena Playset, but I for one DO NOT vote to interrupt a good discussion since it meanders off the topic a little - but some clarity of how we got here should be refreshed.

JarJar's figure looks like he dons a General's uniform and may participate in the ARENA BATTLE at the end of the film. Hence, it became relevant.

The next logical step is for someone with the photoshop skills (and the time - sorry I have to ask for a favor right now) to post a combined image of the JarJar action figure and a close-up snag of his look from the trailer scenes (Palpatine's office scene I suppose). The issue hasn't been settled (for me anyway) as to whether JarJar has had a change of wardrobe.

This would help determine whether it is a movie surprise that the Gungan General joins the rescue of his friends (in the Arena Battle).

Next...Jango Fett, I think I viewed E1 like you - sort of ignoring JarJar as other characters were more interesting and palitable for me - though JarJar was tolerable just fine. (But I hope he farts in Palpatine's office in Episode 2 - that would be funny!)

Lt. Basker - there's this film called Empire Strikes Back, and Wedge destroys an AT-AT when Luke can't - as his bit-character continues to grow since his aborted trench run in the Battle of Yavin. ; )

JarJar - about all of your argument is well put and I don't take issue with any of it, so you can count on my support. Meanwhile though, I have to go and look at the other thread you started in the E3 arena (pun intended).

By the way, did anybody see a big door just open and a giant Reek run through? It seemed kind of urgent when I arrived here.

LOL

Tycho
02-12-2002, 02:23 PM
One more thing, in terms of the beasts we've already seen and what is coming out:

this arena playset really made me wish they did a Jabba's Palace on two levels - as with all these cool combat creatures, the Rancor seems to be sadly absent.

This is unusual to me (when concerning me) for several reasons:

1) I think the Bantha was the beast assortment I was most excited about since it was so big and so new and never-made-before - Now I'm totally into the Attack Beasts - and the Rancor still tops about anything we've seen save for the Acklay (which we didn't get to see in the Arena Playset, but will be eventually used there (as a toy to recreate the movie).

2) The Dewback is still held in high regards by me, because it is sort of fierce, but the Eopie (which I still don't have and want 4 of - at decent prices) is losing its appeal to me, as I'm totally getting geared up for Attack Beasts!

3) Even the smaller beasties we've seen look pretty awesome! - This stuff, though ficticious, blows away Jurassic Park, because the Star Wars animals are still real looking. After every known paleontological mystery was recreated for Jurassic Park, velociraptors began getting neon skin pigmentations and JP3 provided the animals with certain male - female characteristics that the fossil records show no proof of. Not to mention the fact that some of the creatures took on combination characteristics of other creatures. Don't get me wrong - I love JP and considered collecting and making dioramas for scenes from the movies, but their appeal is in their realism to at least historic records and probabilities.

4) Meanwhile, some Star Wars beasts would rip the JP creatures (earth dinosaurs) apart! The Acklay seems a dominant predator - and the T-Rex couldn't take a Rancor on tranquilizers! The Reek is less impressive - sort of a giant bull in an over-sized bull fight. The Rancor would smash its back and a T-Rex might be able to bite its throat if it got behind the horns and surprised it.

The greatest beauty of what I'm writing is that it is the kind of concersation I might have had when I was a kid! "My big dinosaur will kick your big dinosaur's butt! Wanna bet on it?"
I'm in my 20's but I love being young enough at heart to be drooling in anticipation of playing with these things!

By the way - I still want to use the Rancor in the fight. "And my Rancor will rip your Acklay's legs off and spill its guts!!!"

Glad to be having fun again!

JetsAndHeels
02-12-2002, 02:26 PM
Sorry to get off the subject here, Tycho.

LTBasker
02-12-2002, 02:29 PM
Tycho, I know about ESB :p It's just when Wedge was introduced he was introduced as just there and in the end he seemed alot like just a wuss for just pulling out even though he was hit, he didn't have engine malfunction, he could've at least tried to bug Vader and them. :D

For the arena playset, I wish the base was bigger so you could more figures in the diorama itself and not have to put'em on the table, it would give more effect.

Beast
02-12-2002, 02:31 PM
Whoa - I went to sleep and now I have a lot of catching up to do in this discussion...JarJar's figure looks like he dons a General's uniform and may participate in the ARENA BATTLE at the end of the film. Hence, it became relevant.
The next logical step is for someone with the photoshop skills (and the time - sorry I have to ask for a favor right now) to post a combined image of the JarJar action figure and a close-up snag of his look from the trailer scenes (Palpatine's office scene I suppose). The issue hasn't been settled (for me anyway) as to whether JarJar has had a change of wardrobe.
This would help determine whether it is a movie surprise that the Gungan General joins the rescue of his friends (in the Arena Battle).

Well, I dont have a screen grab from the full body shot of him from the trailer, I do have this one that is the basis for the picture I used for my charecter avatar. Notice that the shoulder pads are metallic and braided strands. And that the undercloak is brown with some gold accents. I will try to find the full body picture from the trailer, but its quite obvious that the outfit seen on the figure is vastly differnt. It doesnt have the sholder decorations, and the undercloak has a high collar and is white with assorted colored markings. Definatly a different outfit entirely. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
02-12-2002, 02:47 PM
You are correct (with Thanks) - JarJar does have a serious wardrobe change.

So 3 possibilities - 1) he's so taken with his friend Padme, he starts emulating her need to change clothes for every scene (joke)

or 2) the latter figure is JarJar's General's uniform (as we've never seen a Gungan General before) and his Senator figure may not yet have been made.

or 3) JarJar wears casual attire for office meetings as did Padme change outfits (though not to anything casual) for her meeting in Palpatine's office) - and it is customary for those from Naboo to dress in full regalia for their Senate Hearings.

Some things come up:

1) the eletropole - suggests JarJar sees combat, or wouldn't a Senate cam be a more appropriate accessory? (JarJar has already been a combat veteran - so he would be less afraid - especially if he though he was rescuing Padme).

2) the action pose reminds me of the Cantina Showdown 3-pack Ben Kenobi - a one-pose wonder which might be appropriate for the arena battle, but leaves me wondering "What figure for JarJar do I use in the Senate scenes? The office scenes?"

3) Didn't General Seal command the Gungan Forces in Episode One? Originally he was referred to in source material - as Capt. Tarpals' superior. Then we only saw Tarpals in charge - technically General JarJar, but he wasn't exactly competant to take command like Tarpals (my favorite Gungan character I think).

Beast
02-12-2002, 03:08 PM
Hey All, I found the larger image of the one I posted above, before It was cropped to just include JJB. You can see a little more of the outfit in this one. If anyone can do a screen grab of the moment in the 3rd trailer where we get a decent look at the entire outfit he's wearing, please post. I believe we havent seen a figure of Jar Jar Binks:Senatorial Robes yet...that he may indeed have some fighting either on Kamino, or more likely Geonisis. After all, why would they make Chancellor Palpy and Senator Orn Fre Taa basic neutral posed figures, and Jar Jar action posed. Enjoy. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
02-12-2002, 06:20 PM
New theory...

Maybe Jar Jar picks up a weapon and helps Anakin kill the Kouhuns...

SithDroid
02-13-2002, 04:57 PM
The new Arena looks awesome, and huge also. Now only if they would get around to making a DEATH STAR playset. It could come with Hangar Bay, Detention Center, Trash Compactor, Swinging Bridge, Tractor Beam Area, Obi-Wan vs. Vader area, and guard tower where C-3P0 and R2-D2 hide from the stormtroopers when the come in. And it could all attach if they wanted to sell it separate. I know lots of fans would want this one or am I the only one?

Darth Ovori
02-13-2002, 05:43 PM
I hope they won't use that shiny plastic for the Arena set...

PloKoon2385
02-13-2002, 08:26 PM
I'm all for the Death Star Playset! I am not so sure about the Arena Playset though, it looks a little cheap.

Tycho
02-14-2002, 03:43 AM
I read the Hasbro Press Release. The playset we saw might not have even been totally finished.

There is supposedly a droid factory on the opposite side! It was against the wall at Toy Fair, and no doubt the Arena side is more interesting with Beasts, Jedi, Clonetroopers, Geonosians, and more than only droids, however, we haven't seen it all just yet. If there are connecting pieces, and the one R3-T7 was on was just one part, this set could get even more impressive than it is now!

Don't hold your breath, but don't discount the fact that this one is really going to ROCK!

As an addendum, I fully support all efforts for a massive Death Star Playset on this scale, Cloud City with a better freezing chamber and other parts seen in the movie, a New Ewok Village, possibly a separate or ajoining Shield Bunker playset, The Lars Homestead, a sculpted Jabba's Palace, Mos Eisley playset with full Cantina and Docking Bay 94 built with small parts so it could be boxed finitely, but built big enough to house you-know-what, and a Pod Race Arena, Jedi Temple, Otah Gunga Playset, Theed Palace especially (like the MicroMachines one), a Galactic Senate, a Kamino Clone Labs on a floating fortress, and oh yeah - Echo and Yavin bases! I have either designed, actually built, or at least done preliminary brain storming on all of these concepts. It's not that hard. Hasbro, what's your excuse? ; )

[but thank's a bunch for Geonosis!]